Reminder – Guidelines for Comments…

“Seek first to understand, then to be understood”.

1.) First, please READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD – and the full context of any discussion thread you wish to participate in. Skipping to the comments to express an opinion without reading the content of the discussion is not helpful.

Often, unfortunately very often, we find many of the points injected into comments are already outlined in the construct of the thread itself. -or- Questions asked while the answers are in the primary post.

2.) STAY ON TOPIC – please do not post something unrelated to the specific matter and content of the thread subject. There is a ALWAYS a daily open thread available for any subject you feel should get attention. Never place unrelated, “O/T”, or “Off Topic” comments on a thread unrelated to the topic. It is not ok to say: “sorry, O/T but”… or any iteration therein.

3.) NARROW YOUR THOUGHTS – Quality beats quantity. Please construct your comments to target specific areas and not broad generalizations about the discussion topic at hand. If you have four or five disconnected points, break them up into individual comments.

4.) AVOID GENERALIZATIONSDon’t speak in riddles. Words like “he, she, they, it, them” should rarely be used. Spell out “who” using the name, spell out who “they” are at the beginning of every sentence in your paragraph; so that there is clarity as to who you are talking about. Avoid using acronyms.

5.) BLOCK PARAGRAPHSDo not post huge blocks of text. Think of the reader, and modify your presentation for understanding, not for exclaiming. Do not write to yourself, you are writing to others, so please structure your presentations such that other people can grasp and enjoy. NEVER post massive blocks of text without paragraph breaks.

Do not post huge blocks of text

6.) PARAGRAPHS – Should NEVER be longer than two or three sentences taking up three to five standard lines of text. Again, you are writing to understand, and to be understood, the emphasis should be on the reader comprehending what you are sharing.

Do not post huge blocks of text

7.) SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION – This is not school and we do not demerit for poor spelling, nor do we allow anyone to call others out for the same. However, if your construct is too poorly written the context is lost and important details can be missed. Read the comment carefully before you send it. Does it make sense?

8.) TIME – Everyone ‘s time is valuable. Some of our discussion threads are 500 to 1,000+ comments long. We try to limit the comments to 500 and then post another related thread, but with some research threads it is challenging to do so because we do not want to break a continuity.

9.) THOUSANDS ARE WATCHING – For every person writing a comment, there are easily 100,000 or more reading lurkers on every discussion thread. Do not write anything you would not say in your own living room. Do not disparage our conversation with vulgarity, profanity, or any expressions of any “ism”.

Troll10.) MODERATION / FILTERING THE HATE – Because of our honest approach at seeking facts and truth, and openly discussing various analytical theories along the way, we are bombarded by those with ulterior motives which include:

• Intentional efforts to distract
  • Intentional diatribes to affix labels to our objectives
  • Intentional expressions of rabid hate, vulgarity, and threats.
  • Trolling and professional obfuscation.
  • Concern Trolling as a tool of distraction and derailing conversation.
  • Psy-ops and Intentional Efforts to diminish fact-finding.

We do our earnest best to stop the agenda-hoard at the moderation gates, however sometimes they get through. If you see something untoward say something. When a new comment surfaces that we view is only presented to argue, we watch carefully – but we also are not perfect. You can help. Feel free to alert us via email.

11.) MANNERS MATTER – Simple kindnesses and courtesy should always be present in tone and content. When writing ask yourself before you hit send: does this add value?

SUMMARY: The Tree House community has historically accomplished a lot. Through exhaustive research and analysis our accuracy and reputation for truthful fact-finding, regardless of where it leads, is well regarded. Retain that distinction of intellectual armament.

We are The Conservative Tree House, not because of political affiliation, but rather because the word “conservative” expresses our outlook. We would rather be deep, than wide; we would rather be honest, than popular; we avoid semantics in favor of accurately presenting both intention and meaning.

We are bold in our willingness to go into conversational places where others do not, and we are brave enough to stand firm for principles which are time tested.

We would rather advertise our outlook so the viewer can understand our perspective on a particular subject, than deceptively claim we are something else and deliver an inherently biased view. The entire spectrum of the MSM is based on the latter.

Every reader knows where we stand on any given issue, and our opinions -while they may be unpopular- are based on solid research and analytical insight into the subject matter at hand. This is why our predictive analysis is routinely more accurate than others.

Lastly, this Treehouse is a conversation. Hopefully, just like sitting on a porch with friends.

Because the “conversation” is the ends and not the means, this approach inherently means YOU are the important part:

[Remember] …”However each of us got here, it’s probably a fact that we have the turmoil of those storms in common, perhaps some unease that we could share and always, we also find fresh ground to cover from day to day.

We’re developing valuable relationships as we trust one another in our community in the woods. The chatting in the branches encourages, strengthens and equips for some serious walking.

We think the Treehouse is a good armory for those who doing long distance walking for the sake of our nation. We hope you’ll think so, too. Find yourself a good branch….or just pull up a rock to the campfire”.

Wolverines faithfully patrol the perimeter. Please be respectful.

This entry was posted in Treehouse Campfire, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

215 Responses to Reminder – Guidelines for Comments…

1. Boots says:

GUILTY!

Thank you for the considerate, well worded reminder.

2. nikkichico7 says:

Thank you very much Sundance.

3. StanH says:

There is a flip side to an Eeyore is a Pollyanna. It’s also never a good idea to get to far out over your skis, irrational exuberance. President Trump though I believe was sent by God, especially considering all of the voter fraud. He is up against the world, and can only move this corrupt leviathan just so far so fast. Keep expectations real, we/President Trump are not going to win every time.

4. TY as always for the refresher!
    Inspired to be better.

5. purpleibby says:

Understood, sincerest thanks for all your work!

6. sahm2016 says:

Could someone please clarify the video, meme, photo, gif, etc. posting rules? I’ve read comments that state we shouldn’t post some of the above, but it would be really helpful if what is and is not acceptable to post would be included in the Guidlines for Comments.

7. Rick Steele says:

Great post. Easy to see you care for the place and keep it tidy!

8. kenji says:

Yep … Sundance, your job is near impossible.

9. dawg says:

I assume this thread is for everyone else to read, besides me.

10. ImHopeful says:

Thank you, SD. I don’t comment very often, as I want to add something of substance and not be repetitive. I realize that sometimes multiple people are reading and sharing a breaking story simultaneously, so some duplication is inevitable. But I do admit to getting frustrated by very long, diatribe-style posts that feel like a lecture – I will always scroll past those. And, I also admit that some days I am down in the mouth over current events and set-backs, so I try to make those “read-only” days – so as not to bring everyone else down with me. Sundance, thank you for everything you do for all of us, I’m very appreciative of my tiny little branch here at CTH.

11. L4grasshopper says:

I was pointed to this site by a fellow commenter on the National Review site before they dumped DISQUS for Fakebook comments as a source for well researched analysis and opinion. I’ve been commenting less than 18 months now, but can say with all sincerity that there are few, if any, blog sites with the overall excellence in content on the part of both the provider(s) — Sundance — and the commentariat …. that would be us 🙂

Some regular commentators are truly value added. Most are polite and reasonable. Trolls are fairly rare…..likely a result of the moderation resources here, but I’d like to think that it’s also just too intelligent a forum for most of them 🙂

Thanks to Sundance and his team [I refuse to believe this is all due to a single individual!], and to many folks who frequent these threads.

PS — I do wish there was an editing function though!!

• Reloader says:

Wretchard’s “The Belmont Club” used to be just about the best site for valuable articles and commentary. But that was years ago. Since he has been on PJ Media (Richard Fernandez), his writing is not like it used to be.

• elmo says:

And an EASY LIKE key because it might cut down on duplication of our thankfulness comments if we could like someone else’s.

12. Johnny Bravo says:

Sundance, well timed and necessary, thank you

13. rumpole2 says:

If you can’t post properly.. BEWARE the Admnin…

14. Mark says:

Thank you for the timely reminder. I am one of the 100,000 plus avid readers (and this is my first-time to comment) I am grateful, beyond words, for both for SD’s posts and the comments. I have learned that the comments often are as illuminating as the original post.

I have also learned to look for the astute contributors who I have come to rely on for thoughtful, on-topic input.

I view the need for this reminder as a symptom of “growing pains”, and I am gratified to see the number of readers increasing.

Keep up the great work, all of you.

15. LULU says:

When this site is working right, it is a gem. A place to get well-sourced and referenced information that you won’t get anywhere else. Most of it from Sundance, but often some great additions by Treepers who post here. When some people start doing vanity pieces, writing lengthy essays or quoting miles of text from elsewhere, and then sitting back and admiring their work, it shows. It also too often adds little to the discussion.

• Gman says:

Information. It’s what we’re here for and what we must share. Using the guidelines ensures an orderly process, like a civilized republic. But if I use that term, it may lead to a discussion that is often off topic, and not really what I want to read or came here to read.

• farmhand1927 says:

As you posted above, lulu: Scroll on by.

What some may view as ‘vanity’ might well be an insightful opinion or broader view of a topic that is welcomed by others.

“…sitting back and admiring their work”? Anybody here that types a comment then hits the post button ‘admires their work’. If we have something to add, either lengthy or brief, we think it worth saying, we ‘admire’ our thought enough to share it.

Usually the first sentence or two of a comment reveals if you want to go further. Don’t like what you’re reading? Scroll on by….If sundance doesn’t like what he reads, delete the comment.

16. ThingsWeTakeForGranted says:

Always appreciate you Sundance

17. MALTHUS says:

“This is not school and we do not demerit for poor spelling, nor do we allow anyone to call others out for the same.”

Hmm…that’s gonna earn me a seat in the penalty box someday. Of course, the spell check is sometimes to blame for misspelled words but bad grammar should be noted and corrected in the interest of clear exposition.

18. I do hope you allow us to continue to take on the occasional bigot when their posts are not “over the top”.

Like it or not these people represent concerns that are running rampant given the rhetoric of the left, the most prominent being Lemon, Gillum, and Abrams, and if we are to avoid the scourge of Identity Politics they must be addressed rationally rather than simply banished.

19. kinthenorthwest says:

Sorry will say I often am too much in a hurry ….but do try…
    Will not engage with others but do try to understand all sides of the story.

20. CountryDoc says:

Thank you for the reminder. First time I’ve seen this topic reviewed since coming on site. I appreciate the work the Sundance does. The quality, the truth, the supporting documentation, the transparency, the willingness to be wrong, and the sense that, together we can understand Truth better than any one or few of us can.

I appreciate the freedom to post here. The freedom to ask questions, and the forum to be heard. I don’t know who really know’s its me on this site. I have wondered at times if I put myself or my family in danger by posting my opinions here. I have wondered the same about posts on Facebook. I have decided, however, that the risk is small, and like the Patriots who declared independence and pledged everything in pursuit of self governance –I too, will take that risk.

This site gives me hope, and seeing that so many are concerned as I am; That so many have doubted there growing distrust, on need to find a magnitude of evil far greater then we ever imagined; that there are so many of us standing on the ridges, trudging through the streams, looking in the bushes, stationed like snipers, invisible, yet ready to act if either moved or called.

To what degree we are organized, I know not––but I know we are ready. Currently we believe in the truth of the workings of our republic, and we are using the means of government for which so many shed their blood, paid their taxes, and submitted to her laws. But, should the need arise, we are more than able to rise up and squelch any group as needed who dares destroy our republic.

Indeed, many of as had no idea, and we thank Sundance for shining a bright light of exposure to into the dark crevices of this country where evil has been lurking — fomenting for years, plotting against the bulwark of freedom constructed of the wisdom of God and experience of men gathered through the ages of time.

I thank each and every one of you who read and comment, and reply to my thoughts. You give me strength, courage, and hope. You validate my faith, and you spur me on to keep fighting — plowing my fields, working my profession, teaching my family, helping my church and community grow.

May we continue to submit ourselves to the pursuit of service to our Maker, that His glory will be reflected in our lives and in our work.

21. George Hicks says:

Many times, I’ll have something I want to express and the thoughts come pouring in.
    I’ll write it on Word first, then go back and edit, making my thoughts more succinct and I can take advantage of the spell checker before I copy and paste my post.
    There’s nothing worse than spending time creating a post, maybe with URL’s and/or photos only to have it sent to http://www.nowhere when you hit the Post button. At least you have a backup available.

22. Hsssssss says:

Like so many, I read the posts and comments and have for a long time
    I used to watch Andrew Breitbart when he appeared on Red Eye and followed him
    Sometimes after reading certain things, you just have to say something
    (even if it may sound bitchy or smart azz)
    I’m sure that the “founding fathers of commenting” here get frustrated but that should not prevent opinions that may or may not be contributory
    There are some brilliant minds here – TY

23. Ackman420 says:

Ty SD.
    Was thinking the last couple days, with the 1000 plus posts, that this must be hard on adrem.
    Sooo many nonsense posts, mainly from a few people getting their jollies.
    Let’s keep it clean and make SD and adrems job easier. They work hard enough.

24. TY Sundance (and team) for a sane and challenging while informative site. Very rare on the web.

25. BSR says:

If SD’s cat is posting a selfie consider me woke to the message 😳

26. MAGAbear says:

Wait, does this mean I can’t post a chapter from a book I want to write but no one would ever publish ’cause no one would ever read it? 😀

(I’ve seen a few of those “posts” here from time to time). 😉

27. MelH says:

Is there any chance that Comments could be listed in the order they are received, following the article, instead of the last being first? It takes a great deal of work to get back to the beginning page, sometimes, and the beginning might be where what I wanted to say already resides.

• jello333 says:

At first I couldn’t figure out what you were talking about, but then I realized you meant PAGES of comments. Like if a post has 5 pages, when you first open a post, it’ll start at page 5 and you’ll have to go back and find page 1. So yeah, I assume that’s a default WordPress action, and not sure if it can be changed.

28. Retired IG says:

Ouch, I an one of the long write-a-diatribe commenters. But I’ve always tried to keep my comments informative. Going to take a vacation – really am. Taking my cat with me for the first time. HOPE TO DECIDE during that time whether I add any value to the CTH with my comments.
    Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one.

• Kent says:

..we’re doomed…

• mj_inOC says:

Have a wonderful time, and be sure to keep kitty in a carrier when traveling. [I’ll never forget one was scared and jumped out of my arms to never be found…]

• Retired IG says:

Hi-mj_inOC
        Sorry to hear of your loss. So terrible. Now have two kitty carriers ordered – plus CBD oil for pets arriving before departure.. Got the low down re SW what will happen during TSA screening. My dog/cat Leo is my CHILD -am determined on my part to keep him from escaping. Too many pets run over on the highway- one kitty right before my eyes. I have the fear of death syndrome every time I fly. Figure its better if we go down together. Voila.

29. jmuniz1 says:

Sundance I’m worried about the democrats telling the election in Florida. The media has been complacent. We voted for Desantis not Gillum. Do any of you on this ste know what going on.

30. Curt says:

Yes, it’s easy to fall into the trap of negative comments and unproductive posts. Lots of disappointment over this election. I can only say it could have been worse. We still have a great POTUS, and we still live in the greatest country ever conceived. Reading the history of the American revolution shows us that less than 1/3 of the residents of the colonies were supportive of the revolution. It was never easy, but they persevered. And so has it gone throughout American history. We Conservatives will also persevere.

31. weareallandrew says:

Always helpful, thanks for the reminder. I book mark this to refer back to when posting elsewhere. Doesn’t always work, I but keep trying. CTH my go to for best open source analysis, and nicest and wisest people in the comments. Getting to be very rare elsewhere.

32. Southcentralpa says:

I hope some dispensation is given to those of us with tons of mandatory MAGA-rific overtime (I make subassemblies for earthmoving equipment) ?

33. JimmyJack says:

Thank you Sundance for all you do.