North Korea Repatriates Remains of Missing Service Members…

A U.S. military transport plane flies to an airfield in North Korea’s northeastern city of Wonsan to bring the remains to Osan air base in South Korea. Soldiers in dress uniforms with white gloves were seen slowly carry 55 small cases covered with the blue-and-white United Nations insignia, placing them one by one into silver vans waiting on the tarmac in Osan:

[White House] At their historic meeting in Singapore, President Donald J. Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un took a bold first step to achieve the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, transform relations between the United States and North Korea, and establish enduring peace. Today, the Chairman is fulfilling part of the commitment he made to the President to return our fallen American service members. We are encouraged by North Koreas actions and the momentum for positive change.

A U.S. Air Force C-17 aircraft containing remains of fallen service members has departed Wonsan, North Korea. It is accompanied by service members from United Nations Command Korea and technical experts from the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency. The C-17 is transferring the remains to Osan Air Base, where a formal repatriation ceremony will be held on August 1.

The United States owes a profound debt of gratitude to those American service members who gave their lives in service to their country and we are working diligently to bring them home. It is a solemn obligation of the United States Government to ensure that the remains are handled with dignity and properly accounted for so their families receive them in an honorable manner.

Todays actions represent a significant first step to recommence the repatriation of remains from North Korea and to resume field operations in North Korea to search for the estimated 5,300 Americans who have not yet returned home.  (WH Link)

This entry was posted in Heros, Military, President Trump, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

138 Responses to North Korea Repatriates Remains of Missing Service Members…

1. Minnie says:

God rest the souls of all who fought, bled and died, the ultimate sacrifice.

God bless their families and loved ones.

🙏🇺🇸🙏

2. GOD Bless those fallin souls, RIP where-ever you may be, in Heaven..

3. Chairman KJU would never have allowed this if he didn’t mean to follow through on the agreement. There will be peace on the Korean Peninsula in my lifetime. I would not have thought that possible. Truly amazing.

4. carterzest says:

This is YUGE.

How nice for the families to have closure.

Only 5,300 to go.

Promises kept!

#MAGA

5. Piggy says:

I loathe the UN flags on our honored dead. Pure political BS. On one of the runs I did we replaced the UN flags with US flags once we were in the air. Not as much TV coverage back then.

I am very happy they are bringing these men home to their families and to their country where they belong.

• sundance says:

Don’t be too angry, the remains are of unknown countries. U.S., Great Britain, Scotland, South Korea, etc.

So until they know the person, they don’t know what country.

• Agreed.

By the same token, Piggy’s anger is shared by many who view the UN as an illegitimate entity. The UN’s mission is to destroy national sovereignty everywhere. It should not be allowed to exist.

But that’s an argument to be taken up later.

At this moment, thanks to President Trump and Chairman Kim for helping families on both sides. This is a major gesture from DPRK, considering how poor that country is and how many of their own people are unaccounted for.

Thanks be to God for the gift of Peace.

• SSI01 says:

Trump is doing the heavy lifting for the EU countries that, just as we, have unaccounted for dead in North Korea and who have written them off long ago. Yet another byproduct of his efforts.

I wonder if any head of state in the EU will ever publish public thanks for his efforts once these remains are identified.

BTW this indicates NORK had these remains in their possession, recovered, out of the ground and in storage, for decades but never said anything about it.

• KittyKat says:

President Trump said about the UN, that its original purpose was good, but that it has strayed too far away from its original purpose.

• Piggy says:

I know. They fought with honor. I hope their countries treat them with the respect they deserve.

Not angry at all. They all deserve to go home and I’m happy by the efforts that POTUS has put into this. For all of them.

• I agree Sundance. But I hope the UN is footing the bill for this then!

• LULU says:

The advance publicity for this said that they were Americans. From the posted article:

“Today, the Chairman is fulfilling part of the commitment he made to the President to return our fallen American service members.”

?????

6. recoverydotgod says:

My uncle fought there..frontline. Did not want his little brother (my dad) to come there. He is now living his last days. I think he will feel something deeper than I can imagine.

• rrick says:

My dad was with the ‘frozen Chosin’, 1st Marine. This repatriation was something dear to him but would not talk about. Damn politicians. Today, our nation owes a debt of gratitude to President Trump and those in his administration who made this happen. It is never too late.

• Bill_M says:

We do not forget our fallen. I only wish my Uncle Joe had lived to see it. We lost him earlier this year. He was a Marine, captured in that war. A quiet, unassuming man who would have loved to see this.

• LULU says:

My late first husband was severely wounded in the withdrawal (Marines never retreat) from the Chosin Reservoir. They drove trucks loaded with dead and wounded. Army as well as Marines. Marines never leave their casualties behind.

• Grassleygirl/Breitbartista says:

My daddy,Chief Master ,nicknamed doc (he could fix any airplane or vehicle)served there in Korea,also WW11 and Vietnam.
      I suspect he had quite a magnanimous reunion with his” boys” upon arrival in heaven . This is a day of closure for 55 families.
      Thank you Mr.President.💗🇺🇸🙏👌

• MILupper says:

Today is the anniversary of the ending of the Korean war. 7-27-1953. It is also my Dad’s birthday. He served in Korea for 18 months and returned home on this day in 1953. Always said it was the best present he ever received. Today he is 89. I may ask his thoughts on this, although he rarely talks about his time there. One of the stories he told was when he first arrived in Korea he was a infantry rifleman in a company assigned to guard a crew building bridge approaches. A few days later one of the bulldozer operators was killed by a sniper. The lieutenant called his name and asked your a farm kid right? Dad said yes sir.
      You’re the new dozer operator said the Lt. Dad knew he just had a bulls eye put on his head from the snipers. The other big danger to the dozer operators was land mines. He hit half a dozen of them, luckily he was never seriously hurt, but the mines would blow the tracks off the dozers and many times they landed right on the operator killing them.
      Thank You Mr President from all the veterans and their families.

7. Cathy M. says:

Wow! Just Wow!

8. cthulhu says:

Actions that are several decades towards decency. Morphing a monster into a nation…..wasn’t gonna happen if the Clinton Crime Dynasty took another lap.

9. Gil says:

Do they know whose remains they are? How did these get chosen? I dont understand the backstory except the large number lost in total.

10. rrick says:

Unpossible. Just two days ago in a hearing the learned Senators informed Sec. Pompeo that this was not happening.

11. The Devilbat says:

I can only think of one man who could have brought this about. He is President Donald J Trump.

12. fred5678 says:

I was 8 to 10 years old during this war — I remember my first time reading a newspaper — I can still picture in my mind sitting on the front porch, paper just delivered in afternoon, reading page2, column A of Newark Evening News, which had the daily USAF missions. A long time ago.

• Sharon says:

I’m the youngest of seven and was about a little younger than that – my oldest brother was in Korea as a combat photographer.

• I was 6 and we had just gotten our first TV. The family would watch the evening news together and I didn’t really understand what I was hearing. I thought they were going to be bombing our house. It took me decades to figure out why I always left the room when the news came on. So deeply grateful to POTUS AND to Kim. Kim is going to fight a lot of pushback to follow POTUS’ lead, but I trust that POTUS has created a vision for Kim that’s going to be worth Kim fighting for.

13. jmclever says:

Fifty-five US soldiers finally headed home is great, but it is only one percent in the right direction. Because its an emotionally charged issue, we are making it more significant than it really is. Im not trying to be mean but to bring things in perspective.

Would I applaud someone who owed me a thousand dollars for handing me a ten after decades of promise?

Would I be happy if someone stole my car and decades later returned the stereo?

Until we are certain that China is no longer pulling the strings, it would be wise to view events as part of the previous pattern of just enough compliance to ease the pressure.

• Rhoda R says:

Jm, I’ve read that NK has some of its peasants out in areas of known battles searching the grounds for remains. If so, then I’d say that NK is trying to live up to their promises.

• The Boss says:

I’m looking at a picture of my late father taken in Korea and wish he was still around to see this happen. He didn’t talk all that much about what he did until he had grandchildren. Anyway….

There are a few sites in North Korea I read about recently where there are likely large numbers of American remains. We took very heavy losses and could not recover our dead. Given today’s news, I’ll have to get that book out again and get specifics. This is a great step in the right direction.

• rvsueandcrew says:

jmclever…. I hope no one who lost a family member in Korea reads how you compare their dead to a car stereo. I get your point but, gee, couldn’t you have held back?

14. Justbill says:

May we bow our heads for just a moment please.

[audio src="http://mymorninglight.org/taps/TAPS.MP3" /]

15. Sunshine says:

And President Trump also wants Pastor Brunsen to be released from Turkey. Erdogan isn’t used to acquiescing to demands, the guy is a full-fledged egomaniacal tyrant. If he agrees, he knows he’ll lose face.

• Deusvult says:

He also is siding with Iran regarding sanctions.. This is no coincidence that Trump asks for Brunsen right now. He needs to squeeze turkey into the right direction… And he will.. Turkey’s economy is standing on thin legs.

• Sunshine says:

Like.
        Turkey’s economy relies heavily on foreign investments. When Iran will fall and fall it will, maybe Erdogan will take in the wealthy Mullahs.

16. mj_inOC says:

Just sent this text to my two Daughters and their husbands…

This could have been my Dear Dad, “Poppa,” Edward Mansfield Wharff Jr, as I remember this Korean War when I was only 8 years old. As an electrical engineer and defense subcontractor, he served here and was not sent overseas.
    Pray for these families for over 60 years have not know of their Dad or Brother’s remains… there are thousands more… prayers for peace for these patient families and our world…
    Love all y’all 💞

17. roubaix says:

Time to bring the live ones back too. Trump wants to reduce the US military presence in Korea — of course the rest of DC wants the occupation to last forever.

18. CMDCMRET says:

peace

19. Maquis says:

Godspeed, heroes, come home soon.

20. Truthfilter says:

I’m crying as I look at those little blue boxes. So many families who likely gave up on a brother, husband, father, son who died or disappeared in the Korean War. Can you imagine being a daughter or son of one of those fallen whose remains are finally coming home?

Thank you, God, for President Donald Trump.

• MelH says:

I’m crying too, though I never had anyone I know personally die in a war, but imagining how this will feel to families……oh my, I want to preach to the Liberals who will soon show up on Twitter to minimize the event and make it into something negative against President Trump. They haven’t enough heart or imagination to give a damn.

21. Deusvult says:

THIS is a huge sign that something changed.
    I think they did hand over remains before but did we ever have soldiers on their turf?

The media will try to deny that this means much but people will notice the significance.

22. ZooNTexas says:

My dad and Uncle fought in that war, this is amazing! I wonder how Trump is bad for this happening in the MSM.

MAGA!!

• MelH says:

At Boy Scouts’ Camp every Summer, we sang taps every night, and also sang the blessing at every meal. This was a public camp, not one of some church or religious organization. In those days, God was assumed to be a crucial part of ALL lives. We knew there were atheists, but the atheists never made a big deal out of it. Not having ACLU in our lives made things VERY different.

23. TeaForAll says:

To all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice in N Korea
    Welcome Home.
    God Bless the families that will now have closure to bury their love ones.
    Prayers and thoughts are with you all
    Thank You to Our Fallen heroes. from a Grateful Nation
    I wish My Dad was here to see this moment. WWII Vet

24. Dan Patterson says:

the importance of this is immense from a personal perspective; the families of the fallen and those who served with them are overdue this honor. Political importance is just as large and this gesture marks a very important point in Chinese/North Korean/US relations.
    A job well done, Mr. President.

25. Yes long overdue , if you read it’s history , several terrible battles where units overrun and retreated. Worst , I think , was Army unit on other side of Chosin from Marines, which you don’t hear about so much , some 3000 or so men, were overwhelmed and survivors straggled across frozen Resevior to Marine side . Those loses in that rugged area of NK account for a large portion of never recovered remains , I believe. Amen

• Rami says:

My father was a Corporal in the Army and was at Chosin. A young, 20 year old farm boy from Virginia…probably the first time he’d been more than 100 miles from home. Would rarely speak of anything that happened there, just sad, vacant stare.

• Sharon says:

Only one one or two occasions I have seen a veteran in a store wearing the hat saying he was at Chosin. It is usually true that those who wear the hats declaring their service are willing to be spoken to about it, and I found that to be true when I saw these.

I just told them quietly that I knew about the war because my brother was there, and that I had read what I could find about Chosin. I always ended up near tears in just a brief conversation and they hugged me – thanking me, as a younger-than-them person – for KNOWING about Chosin.

• Gary says:

I have the distinct honor of possessing what others might consider ” a stupid glass”. My father was a U.S.M.C. Veteran of the Korean War. His story, like many others is one of Duty, Honor, Courage…..and one whole hell of a lotta luck. I’m 57 years old so….do the math. OK the glass, I have his Silver Star and three Purple Hearts, I have the flag which covered his coffin, I have the pin they used to keep his elbow together..essentially I have it all, but the one thing most near and dear to me is that glass. Each year his company held a reunion in a different city, he traveled to each and every one. They would share a toast to each other, and then for the ones they lost since the last reunion upon which they would retire their glass. Roughly three months after my father passed a package showed up on my doorstep. It was my father glass that they had retired. I cannot tell you how many times and for how many hours I have found myself holding that glass in my hand, just staring. Those men, each and every one precious to my father, precious to us all.

• SSI01 says:

There are aircraft crash sites located all over North Korea that will account for hundreds of these missing. Many if not most of them are in remote, difficult to locate places. Also don’t be surprised when it comes out many of the 5,300 missing were last seen ALIVE in North Korea, and their final chapters will not be written until the Communist Chinese and Russian state archives are opened so we can find out what those countries did with those men. Many were sent north over the Yalu river to Manchuria, or the Soviet Far East, and never returned. The son of the 8th Army commander, Gen James A. VanFleet, was a B-26 pilot in the USAF and was lost over the North. Seen alive after his capture and then no further (official and released) records. I am working with some folks on a period case involving MIAs in that same general area, offshore. Incredibly frustrating.

• dayallaxeded says:

SSI01, please come back to the treehouse with links and/or updates as your work progresses. This is history most of us and most of the world knows far too little about. Also, those who gave all deserve recognition.

• Jake says:

Since you mention these men last seen alive, I will tell you that I just finished reading a book called, “Through the Eyes of the Enemy” by Stanislav Lunev. He’s the highest ranking GRU officer to defect to the US. The final chapter is devoted to his knowledge that American prisoners from the Korean and Vietnam wars were brought back to the Soviet Union and forced into hard labor in uranium mines and the like, only to die later. Some of our pilots were made to train and dogfight with Soviet pilots. Lunev has set the record straight about these unconscionable acts by the USSR.

• LULU says:

The Marines helped to get them out. The living, the wounded and the dead.

This Marine wife. whose late first husband was there, knows all about it.

26. nwtex says:

27. no-nonsense-nancy says:

God rest their souls and God Bless our wonderful president, Donald JJohn Trump!

• MelH says:

I would vote for him abandoning the parade he’s planning and having some sort of HUGE event that brings together the relatives getting their loved ones returned, Maybe there’s a special place in Arlington Cemetary? I’ve heard it is running out of room, but I have no sense of when that might happen

28. HHC - 2nd 16th says:

Amen.

29. Mrs. E says:

My husband tells me that the last timethey said they were returning the remains of soldiers, they were found to be dog bones. I hope they check them. Maybe human remains are no longer in existence in NK. They may not have stored them properly.

Trust, but verify.

• czarowniczy says:

For a while there were rewards paid for MIA remains both by the US and by the foreign governments themselves – MIA remains (including uniform items) were a bargainin g chip the gov could use to gain points. There was quite a cottage industry in Vietnam, especially when we were reestablishing relations, as bones, dog tags, you name it, was being purchased by the VN and US governments.
      Thing is it’s only money and by buying whatever shows up you keep the market lines open and real stuff does show up.

30. ChrisSy says:

My uncle was in the U.S. Army Infantry and first declared MIA at the Chosin Reservoir, and later declared KIA. Several years ago I submitted mitochondrial DNA in the eventuality his remains were ever found. This news strikes deeply into my heart. My concern at this point is that my address has changed since then, and I no longer remember the name of the organization I was working with in order to be reached should a match be found. So if someone with this type of knowledge can help, I would appreciate it greatly.

• Lanna says:

Probably the Korean War project: https://www.koreanwar.org/html/finding_the_families.html

My uncles came home from that war, so sorry yours did not.

• czarowniczy says:

See my post below. Youf familial DNA is stored and here’s hoping that one day as the NK dribble remains back your buncle’s remains will be ID’d. The NK use POW remains as bargaining chips, the NV stored French remains for decades and sold them back to the French as needed, just as they still use US remains to a degree.
      We have a lot of sites identified but there’s only a few teams and even when we’re granted permission to dig it’s a slow and painstaking process. Let’s hope Trump’s actions will open up greater access to these sites.

• NJF says:

I pray you get closure. ❤️🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

• ChrisSy says:

Lanna that was it! Thank you! Czarowniczy…thank you, and I will be sure to read your post! NJF your prayers are noted and I thank you.

31. Ted says:

The significance of a US aircraft with US soldiers landing on NK soil should not be lost. It’s wonderful to heal the past by having our soldiers brought home. Also, it’s amazing that a US military plane landed peacefully in the country we’ve been enemies with for 60+ years. That says a lot about the future.

Did anyone other than PDJT ever have this vision and the fortitude to challenge all norms – PHENOMENAL!

32. TigerBear says:

God Bless You Mr. President!

Finally, a leader who loves our country, fights for our country and truly honors ALL who have sacrificed for our country!

Thank you!!!
    GOD Bless America 🇺🇸

33. TMonroe says:

Was at the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico this week, with a range of veterans serving as docents and giving some amazing perspective on what happened there and in the other conflicts. There was even an Iwo Jima vet there (must have been 16 when he was there). Amazing place, highly recommended.

(FWIW, one of the asides from a vet/docent was about how false aspect of the Ken Burns Vietnam doc was, and he gave us 1st hand accounts as to why in some instances.)

• czarowniczy says:

A professor told me in a class that we Vietnam vets could not objectively discuss the war as we were too close to it. Our participation in it clouded our judgement and only those trained in deciphering events coldly could render a true picture of what happened as they were unsullied by participation. Took me about ten minutes to stop laughing.

34. 4sure says:

This is appropriate,

35. Bree says:

It brings tears to my eyes.

36. Sharon says:

Regardless of your age, here’s a book recommendation that lays out the reality of what it was like for those who were there:

One of the most heartbreaking realities is this: when they finally signed the armistice (timing determined by issues other than reality on the ground) the lines (38th parallel) and other factors had not basically changed from 15-18 months earlier. It’s nauseating to understand the political posturing on all sides.

I read the book when it first came out and could not recommend it more highly. The outposts. The ridges. The long nights. The longed-for morning – just to try to survive another day. The mud. The cold.

The boots they were wearing were not a third as effective as my outdoor-chore, waterproof low boots.

• Deplorable_Vespucciland says:

That “war” could have been won in 6 months if the politicians would have let the warriors prosecute the battlefield. General Macarthur warned the Chinese to stay out of it or else! President Truman rescinded that warning and refused to back him up so hundreds of thousands crossed the Manchurian border into North Korea in a sneak attack. Macarthur complained and Truman fired him.

• LULU says:

Sharon, my late Marine husband said their boots were rubber and when moisture got inside – from the weather and from perspiration – they froze. None of their gear was sufficient for the extreme weather conditions they encountered there. He was severely wounded when the truck he was driving down in a caravan from the Chosin Reservoir (bringing out Army survivors, wounded, dead, along with Marines) was ambushed. His entire left side sprayed with fragments of various sizes as the shells sprayed through the truck door.

• Sharon says:

The conditions under which they served were simply horrendous. Thank you for sharing that detail from your Marine.

I remember the first time I saw the Korea memorial on the Mall in Washington. I understood what it looked like, but when we came to it in its actual setting, I was so glad for the simplicity of it. Maybe there are elements not strongly represented, but the sheer vulnerability to the elements is certainly there – darkness, frigid cold, endless nights….

When we saw it, it must not have been finished yet, because the vertical wall and the sidewalk were not there – only the figures in/on the grass.

37. Dan says:

To the fallen who will never be accounted for, it’s comforting to know that their remains will soon rest in the free North Korea that they fought and died for.

38. czarowniczy says:

Over twenty years ago a Navy Captain and I were put on orders to go to DC and help a team of other volunteers winnow through a sea of Korean War POW debriefs. Now we see POWs flown home within hours of being released but then they were assembled at Korean bases to be put on ships and brought home. On these ships were CI agents who debriefed each POW in detail about his experiences before and indepth during captivity.
    The records werre on thick paper – if you were in elermentary school in the 50s and remember the tough-textured art paper, that was it. Each one was typed from transcription and many had notes written in the margins. Our job was to read through each file and record the names and details of the last known locations of MIAs. The information would be given to the DPMO (now DPAA) office where databases were being built for recovery in NK and China as relations sort of thawed. NK and China, like Vietnam, would use the remains as bargaining chips for US favors but either way we’d get our MIAs back.
    We worked on and off for quite a while, starting at office opening and frequently working to midnight as there was a deadline – the records were being transferred from their old vault at Ft Meade to the National Archives.
    We built our portion of the database but one part that still haunts me was one of the camps that was right on theNorth Korean-Chinese border. The camp was on the NK side but right across the river on the Chinese side was an empty bunker and as POWs at the camp died they’d be taken across the river and dumped – that’s the right word – into the bunker. It was more convenient than digging, especially in the winter.
    That bunker’s haunted me for over twenty years and I’m wondering if any of the bodies being returned are out of it. As NK dribbled POW remains back I’m sure all of us who combed those records wondered if our data helped but this one bunker just sticks in my mind.
    Most people think the NKs ran the POW camps and they did early in the war, but once the Chinese entered the camp control fell largely to them. The NK, early on, were actually returning numbers of POWs to American lines if they promised to never fight against the NK again. The POWs would agree, be returned to U&S lines and get right back into the fight – took the NK a while to catch onto that.
    The camp conditions were bad under the NK but once the Chinese took over the conditions were on par with the German death camps. Things weren’t that good for the NK civilians either, the NK anf Chinese were not ‘shower buddies’ and conditions for the NK civilians around the camps were so bad that the bad-off GI POWs felt so sorry for them they were sharing their meager rations and tattered clothing with them.
    US POWs were transported into China, never to be seen again. The Russians had a special air unit that had Russian pilots dressed as NK pilots and flew NK aircraft, thier job was to shoot down US F-86s and capture as much wreckage as they could and the pilots – who’d be transported to Russia for debriefing and disappear – just as happened in the Vietnam War. These remains are gone forever and DoD and State wrote them off almost immediately after they were captured. The existence of the unit, the transportation of the pilots all remained classified (just as with the US VN POWs) long after the war.
    Now we have about 50 more coming home. The DPMO had MIA family members submit DNA samples decades ago in hopes that as remains were recovered they could be correctly identified. It’s going to take a while to sort though the remains, try to ID them and make final arrangements but at least, after nearlt 70 years,more are coming home to rest.

• ChrisSy says:

Dear Czar….first, thank you for your service. What an overwhelming task! Your knowledge and insight are most welcome.

And to all who have posted personal stories, and comfort, I have been humbled by reading your posts.
      I’d love for us to toast our VSGPOTUSDJT!

• czarowniczy says:

I actually jumped sat opportunities such as the Korean War debfief file one, it was a privilege to hold that piece of history in my hands.
        What I didn’t mention was that the CI people stripped every picture and document the returning POWs had, they never got them back.Pictures of family they’d managed to hold on to during captivity, their POW papers such as ID and shot records in Korean/English/Chinese, all of it. Some of the items the brass managed to get removed from the files, personal stuff, and get it repatriated to the original owners or their next of kin. I can only imagine what it was like to get that back after over 40 years or a family member to have such a personal reminder of a lost loved one.

• czarowniczy says:

BTW, I got an email from the retired Captain I worked with…he’s a CTH lurker.

39. Chris says:

Let me guess, the lying, left-wing MSM will claim that Obama is responsible for this breakthrough. I can hear it now, “These negotiations were started under the prior administration…blah blah blah.”

• dayallaxeded says:

Highly doubtful. Obunghole never gave a crap about US servicemen–in fact, it’s been my opinion that he, Mooch, ValJar and just about everyone else associated with them actively hated our military and did everything they could (subject to plausible deniability) to have them disinfranchised, demoralized, run into the ground, sold out strategically, and essentially murdered. Any ongoing efforts for repatriation of remains began long before 0bunghole and at least from my limited observation, languished under his vile administration.

40. NJF says:

God bless all the families awaiting to hear good news from all of this.

I wish my dad was still here to see this.

41. diogenes says:

Welcome home at long last, men.

42. Binkser1 says:

Just brings tears to my eyes seeing this. Don’t really know what to say but to thank all those that have served honorably in our armed forces. Thank you all!

43. uvaldegirl says:

This is beautiful. Profound thanks and honor to these great soldiers who went there on our behalf. I pray for eternal peace, joy in heaven and a sense of resolution to loved ones on Earth.

44. Ralphie says:

My 85 y/o dad is a Korean War era vet (Navy) and I was lucky enough to get him on a (Nebraska) “Honor Flight” out to DC where they got the DELUXE well-deserved treatment through The Mall, big banquet night before with the Governor, et al. The final book published prior to his death on the L.I.E. (he had a couple posthumously) from David Halberstam is “The Coldest Winter”, an exhaustive/definitive history of the conflict. I’m a huge history buff, specifically that of the military (being an Army vet myself) and I can’t highly recommend this stellar book enough – I think possibly THE single best military history I’ve ever read. God bless ALL our troops past, present and future, and all those who made the Ultimate Sacrifice (and of God bless our VSG DJT). I still don’t trust little Fat Man but I am ELATED this is happening.

45. Kenji says:

Reading through the HATEFUL leftist comments about this story … and they ALL say (talking points dujour) that Trump has been “played” by Kim-Ill… because the boxes returned contain nothing but animal bones.

What level of HATE does one need to plumb to be a leftist in America?

• MelH says:

Whatever level that is, mine exceeds that level for the Liberals who not only can’t appreciate what Freedom means but daily castigate those who dare to mention anything or anyone who cares about Freedom. I know…… I’m supposed to pray for the dumbells!

• Trump Train says:

THESE PEOPLE ARE NO LONGER CONSIDERED AMERICANS IN MY BOOK. ITS GETTING TIME FOR THE PURGE 2018……….

On a more positive note, great job Pres Trump thinking of these families and working to get cloture to their loss. This is another historic moment in the Trump Presidency. The fact we have a military plane and US Soldiers in NK while receiving the remains of the falllen with respect by the NK soldiers cannot be overstated.

46. thedoc00 says:

On the diplomatic front, notice the North Koreans actually executing this hand-off with a display of military courtesy that is also a big change from the harsh rhetoric. Another sign that there is hope for resolution on the Korean Peninsula.

• thedoc00 says:

This is also negates the comments about contents of those coffins because even North Koreans still consider the Oriental Concept involving “loss of face” to be important.

47. KittyKat says:

The words to this song have been playing and replaying in my mind during this time:

Brothers in Arms

These mist covered mountains
    Are a home now for me
    But my home is the lowlands
    And always will be
    Some day you’ll return to
    Your valleys and your farms
    And you’ll no longer burn
    To be brothers in arms

Through these fields of destruction
    Baptism of fire
    I’ve witnesed your suffering
    As the battles raged higher
    And though they did hurt me so bad
    In the fear and alarm
    You did not desert me
    My brothers in arms

There’s so many different worlds
    So many different suns
    And we have just one world
    But we live in different ones

Now the sun’s gone to hell
    And the moon riding high
    Let me bid you farewell
    Every man has to die
    But it’s written in the starlight
    And every line on your palm
    We’re fools to make war
    On our brothers in arms

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH !!

48. jello333 says:

As good as this is, it’s symbolic as much as anything else, since it’s extremely unlikely the vast majority will ever actually be identified and make it home. HOWEVER, if the peace process keeps advancing, something important could still be done.

If, as is reported, there are a few large mass graves scattered around North Korea, there’s no reason memorials couldn’t be erected. Yes, there can be continued attempts to find out exactly who each of the soldiers were, but assuming a lot are left unidentified, those remains can either be left where they are (assuming the sites are suitable for memorials)… or all of them could be relocated to a single site. Either way, once our relations with North Korea have normalized (thanks to Trump, Kim, and others), there will now be a formal location(s) where relatives of the lost soldiers (whether from the US or elsewhere) will now have a place to go… and where they’ll be WELCOMED.