Sunday June 24th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

206 Responses to Sunday June 24th – Open Thread

1. Man from Uncle – So Long Mom – Tom Lehrer

2. Star Wars – Alla Rustica – Vivaldi – by Paul Kosinski

3. “The Arbiter” from Chess, for Jeremy Brett’s Sherlock Holmes

4. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Christ The Son Of God

St. Paul opens his Epistle to the Romans by stating that the Lord Jesus Christ was “declared to be the Son of God with power,” or “powerfully declared to be the Son of God… by the resurrection from the dead” (1:4).

In Psa. 2:7, we have Christ, in prophecy, saying:

“I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto Me, Thou art My Son; this day have I begotten Thee.”

Our Lord was, of course, eternally one with the Father, but the word “begotten” here comes from Israel’s laws, referring to the time when the child was officially declared to be the father’s full-grown son.

But what day was He referring to? On what day did the Father officially proclaim:

“This day have I begotten Thee”?

The answer is found in Acts 13:33, where the Apostle states that God “raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second Psalm: Thou art My Son, this day have I begotten Thee.”

So our Lord was officially — and powerfully — declared to be the Son of God at His resurrection from the dead. But what did Paul mean in II Tim. 2:7,8, where he said:

“Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things. Remember that Jesus Christ, of the seed of David, was raised from the dead ACCORDING TO MY GOSPEL.”

The answer is that the twelve had proclaimed Christ as the Son of David, to sit on David’s throne. Theirs was “the gospel of the kingdom.” But when the King and His kingdom were rejected, God raised up another apostle, Paul, to proclaim “the gospel of the grace of God” (Acts 20:24).

Christ was, indeed, raised from the dead to sit on David’s throne, and this will yet come to pass, but Paul has a message for us, here and now: that Christ was raised from the dead to certify our justification and to become the Head of “the Church which is His Body.”

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

Paul uses the possessive term “my gospel” three times in his epistles:

Romans 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

2Timothy 2:8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

He did not preach the same message as the 12 apostles to the nation Israel, once “the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began” was revealed to him.

Galatians 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
      8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
      9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Those 12 apostles confined their ministry to Israel.

2Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
      16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

• OK all you guys – Baby Jesus is the son of God. Period, end of story. Get over yourselves!

• Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus, while before Thy face I humbly kneel, and with burning soul pray and beseech Thee to fix deep in my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity, true contrition for my sins, and a firm purpose of amendment; the while I contemplate with great love and tender pity THY FIVE MOST PRECIOUS WOUNDS , pondering over them within me, whilst I call to mind what the Prophet David put in Thy mouth concerning Thee, O Good Jesus: They have pierced My hands and My feet; they have numbered all My bones.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“Baby Jesus is the son of God”

Exodus 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

Isaiah 42:13 The LORD shall go forth as a mighty man, he shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: he shall cry, yea, roar; he shall prevail against his enemies.

• Amy2 says:

Amen. Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles (re:my gospel), Christ’s
        other flock” If we keep Israel and Christians separate in our reading of Scripture, it makes it so much more understandable, and the best part is we will all be together in the “kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ.” Notice the “s”! Praise God.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“it makes it so much more understandable, and the best part is we will all be together”

2Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Colossians 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

• Trumpismine says:

Deplorable,
        Peter :1:21
        For the prophecy came in not in the old time by the will of man:but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
        Me thinks you might have moved. God Bless you

5. citizen817 says:

6. Matrony says:

Verse of the Day:
    But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one.
    2 Thessalonians 3:3 NIV

7. Garrison Hall says:

Have a blessed Sunday, Treepers.

“Concert” guitars are considered to be in a class by themselves. Entirely hand made by an individual luthier, the best of the best, they nonetheless usually have very distinctive tonal characteristics. Guitars from different makers can sound quite different despite both being well able to compliment a virtuoso’s on stage performance. For musicians, this is something that makes hand-made guitars so interesting . . . and so expensive. Here are two examples of very different concert guitars. The first one, made by Enrico Bottelli is a spruce top instrument that is built in style that is more reflective of Spanish made instruments made just before and after the turn of the last century. The second example is a guitar that was actually played by Andres Segovia. It was made in the Madrid workshops of Jose Ramirez and is a splendid example of a “modern” style concert guitar.

Since both were recorded by the same performer, apparently at the same time and place, and using the same recording equipment, we can get a good comparison at just how different, yet similar, these two fine guitars are. Where the Bottelli is lighter and has a sharper dynamic range, the Ramirez, having a larger body, has a deeper sound and a more uniform piano-like tone. Both are splendid instruments, just different.

• ledygrey says:

Thank you, Garrison. I enjoyed learning about “concert” guitars and hearing the difference. Do they get better with age like fine violins? Is there anything like a Stradivarius in the guitar world?

• Garrison Hall says:

Most of the significant changes happen within the first months/years after a guitar is made
        as the wood settles in. Sometimes the differences are modest, sometimes not. Luthiers try to build an instrument that won’t change dramatically over time and are usually successful in this. There are now more and better concert guitars being made than ever before so, IMHO, we’re living in our own “Stradivarius” epoch. 🙂

• nikkichico7 says:

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️😍❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

and you also Garrison, …. beautiful and a blessing

• i'm just sayin'.. says:

Excellent Garrison!

8. MaryfromMarin says:

Very good article, IMO. Originally posted in October 2015, but totally applicable today:

Christian, is the Unbeliever Your Enemy?
    Short answer: In one sense, no. In another sense, maybe. In yet another sense, definitely yes.

9. Karl Kastner says:

Sooner Not Later

(Sung to the tune of Sooner or Later, by The Grass Roots)

Sooner not later, Huber’s gonna charge ya
    Sooner not later, in jail you will be livin’
    Sooner not later, Huber’s gonna get ya
    Sooner not later, your sentence begins

It’s time to pay for your crime
    Soon you will be do-ing time
    You and all those that have been conspirin’
    Your trial’s gonna begin
    Though truths you try hard to bend
    Grand Jury will find that you’ve been lyin’

Sooner not later, Huber will indict ya
    Sooner not later, a plea you will be givin’
    Sooner not later, Huber’s gonna get ya
    Sooner not later, your sentence begins

You thought that you would be fine
    But all the evidence finds
    You broke many laws then went in hidin’
    You got yourself in this bind
    Don’t make excuses or whine
    Illegal for you to pick a side in

He’s been looking for crime
    In all your work places
    He’s been reading the crime
    On your guilty faces
    Now your wakin’ up
    From your delusion
    Now the justice starts
    For all YOUR collusion

Sooner not later, Huber’s gonna charge ya
    Sooner not later, in jail you will be livin’
    Sooner not later, Huber’s gonna get ya
    Sooner not later, your sentence begins
    Your sentence begins

It’s time to pay for your crime
    Soon you will be do-ing time
    You and all those that have been conspirin’
    Enjoy your time in the pen
    No sympathy for you when
    Your cellmate both loves and leaves you cryin’

Sooner not later, Huber will indict ya
    Sooner not later, a plea you will be givin’
    Sooner not later, Huber’s gonna get ya
    Sooner not later, your sentence begins

10. Lucille says:

Happy Equus Caballus Day…

Wild Horses

• Lucille says:

Click to enlarge…lovely light and shadows…beautiful creatures….

• olderwiser21 says:

If anyone here is interested in mustangs, you would enjoy “Wild Horse, Wild Ride”. It is a documentary about the mustang challenge competition held in Fort Worth, Texas every year. Also, watch “Unbranded” – another documentary about 4 friends who train and ride their mustangs from Mexico to the Canadian border. Really great movies!

11. wisconsam says:

All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name

12. Sentient says:

Hope this posts right. Funny.

video/1

13. Janie M. says:

Reason No. 2 why I love Viggo:.

Viggo Mortensen and TJ, the horse that was Hidalgo (pic below). Viggo bought him after filming the movie. The horse is retired from movies and lives with his other horses (some also bought after movies) on his ranch in Montana. And because he had bonded so closely with the the horse he rode in “Lord of the Rings,” he purchased it from its owner.

14. smiley says:

is he one of us ??

🙂

• nikkichico7 says:

My uncle Arthur, my mom’s brother … his wife aunt Pricilla, she looked just like the chicken, and had the verbal grace of a gravity challenged bull …. 🤨☹️

My sister like her … not me …. 😑

15. smiley says:

REAL GOOD ARTICLE on the subject…

Weaponizing Compassion

June 22, 2018

telescopic philanthropy

conspicuous compassion

ostentatious self-loathing

…and more.

articulately stated and worth the read.

• Bendix says:

Thanks in advance. I believe this is just what I need.
      I have been thinking about the sickness we are seeing all over today, and did not know what to call it.
      People are so brainwashed, so in love with the way they think now, that they can’t hear words anymore.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“True Liberals of the old school. who have had the temerity to acknowledge the truth about such things as MS-13 and how Trump’s border policies are nothing new, are finding themselves attacked as if nothing they’ve said has registered at all.”

Hopefully that will wake them up as to the true underlying nature of all those that they have been aligning themselves with.

I heard (within the past year) Tammy Bruce (listed in the Blogroll in the upper right margin) say that she came to reject the ilk of those “progressives, etc.” when she was attacked like that. She was drawn to the true tolerance that she observed in Christians, although I do not know if she is personally a professing believer now.

Romans 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

• sedge2z says:

Thanks, Smiley. Love your chicken pictures!
      What do Sundance and Treepers think about this “weaponizing of copyrights” against alt news sites? Internet freedom of speech? Is our Treehouse vulnerable?
      It’s a Jan 24, 2018 Youtube video by Styxhexenhammer666:

16. smiley says:

well waddya know…

VA Rep Ben Cline : Red Hen Owner is Meryl Streep’s Cousin

• Bendix says:

Gee, has Meryl come out against that shockingly obscene diatribe against women by Hollywood aging brat Peter Fonda?
      Nope.
      Not only has she (and his sister Jane too) not come to the defense of Women, Meryl has joined the attack on Sarah, by cowardly stealth.
      She was a sneaky coward over the Harvey Weinstein issue too.

• olderwiser21 says:

They are only “pro women” when it aides their feminazi cause. Total hypocrites all.

• Lucille says:

Meryl and Jane, along with thousands of their leftie sisters, are the faces of the “Weaponizing Compassion” movement indicated in the excellent article Smiley posted.

Last week Alyssa Milano said she’d take in migrant children (hey, good idea…send them ALL to her). But is she presently a foster parent? Has she adopted abused or abandoned American children? Has she opened and funded a shelter for battered women and their offspring? Does she volunteer at any of the facilities presently sheltering illegal aliens? I’d wager “NO” is the answer to all these questions for Alyssa, Meryl, Jane, and the Red Hen. Virtue signaling on steroids is the only thing these gals are good for.

Perhaps they could all take a lesson from Michele Bachmann who put her money where her mouth is and fostered many children. Nah, fat chance since she’s a Republican and a Christian.

17. trapper says:

Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
    2 I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord;
    I have no good apart from you.”
    3 As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones,
    in whom is all my delight.
    4 The sorrows of those who run after] another god shall multiply;
    their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
    or take their names on my lips.
    5 The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup;
    you hold my lot.
    6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
    7 I bless the LORD who gives me counsel;
    in the night also my heart instructs me.]
    8 I have set the LORD always before me;
    because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
    9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
    my flesh also dwells secure.
    10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
    or let your holy one see corruption.
    11 You make known to me the path of life;
    in your presence there is fullness of joy;
    at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Psalm 16

18. Dora says:

Ole Ring (1902 1972) was a Danish painter.

“Street View from Køge with St. Nicolas’ Church in the background.” (1958)

19. smiley says:

At The Edge Of The Wood

oil/canvas

1886

Thomas Millie Dow ~ Scottish (1848-1919) ~ Impressionism

more here…

🙂

20. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

21. amwick says:

Just a small observation.. Watching Fox and Friends, the crawler said something about the navy setting up camps for processing illegal aliens…. huge, austere camps…. this is going to be a firestorm of issues… oh boy…. ‘prolly will show up on the presidential thread…

22. Dora says:

I don’t know how true this is, but be warned.

====

July’s Blood Moon To Trigger Global Chaos On Levels ‘Never Seen Before’ Blood Moon and the lunar eclipse of 2018 will grace our skies next month on July 27.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“Blood Moon To Trigger Global Chaos”

Don’t worry about it. We are living in the dispensation of the grace of God, so God’s “prophetic clock” dealing with the nation of Israel is stopped (it will resume after the so-called “rapture”)

Ephesians 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
      3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
      4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
      5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

• Dave says:

I agree 100% with you, D_I. I learned about the dispensations about five years ago. I was raised in a cult that taught “replacement theology” or “supersessionism”, which is totally wrong! That is when people believe the church has replaced the nation of Israel in all the Old Testament prophecies, as you know. Boy, was I ignorant! The thing is, you expect this garbage from the cults, but the shame is, these teachings are slowly infiltrating some mainline churches as we speak! I always appreciate your upbuilding scriptures and comments. Blessings.

• rrick says:

Dora, do not fret, do not worry. Deplorable_Infidel has shown the correct answer.

What the media, whether main stream or some small outlet, does is to create fear of imminent crisis. It relies on putting the reader on the edge of their seat. It is the hook, it is how they keep people ‘thirsty’, to come back for more; it’s all about making money for the media. We combat that by knowing the truth.

In His word has God given us the information we need. What God has done applies equally from one generation to the next, even to this day. We can rely on the truth in the word of God.

23. getfitnow says:

FTA – Reader Ron Joseph asked an intriguing question in an email:
    Dear Editor,

I am a regular reader of the American Thinker and many of its writers. These are some very smart and well connected folks who are aware of what goes in on this planet and in our nation.

As such, I wonder if any of them have the insight to know or understand how, and at whose direction, this multitude of Fake News stories come to be?

A goodly many of them suddenly (on the same day and at about the same hour) pop up or come into being on and in the same TV channels and newspapers time after time. It happens too often to believe it is accidental or coincidental, as would happen with real breaking news as we all understand that term to mean.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“It happens too often to believe it is accidental or coincidental,”

It is NOT accidental or coincidental -it is the result of Media Matters:

“….This leaked document which has been issued after the election 2016 and before President Trump takes the Oval Office, reveals the slightest details on how Media Matters has organized these attacks. We have never faced such organized dramatic response and psychopathic efforts coming from media on a President. Their deleterious “attack project” has three main tasks, each delivered to different sub-organizations named: American Bridge, Crew, and Shareblue.

Media Matters is responsible for the big purge and censorship we are facing now on the world-wide scale through Google, Facebook, Twitter, and search engine algorithms. It has all these companies under command. Moreover, Media Matters rules the media. Sends them direct messages through their phones and instruments on real-time events. …”

• amwick says:

Hope they come up with a nice reply, maybe even an article. Very good question..

• nikkichico7 says:

The …. “news” …. media is controlled by the Clowns In Action agency … that is how …

24. Pat Frederick says:

so for the last week or so we have had a pair of beautiful red tailed hawks perching on our garden fence for long stretches at a time. When one is hunting, the other sits and screeches for the other. I have as yet seen them catch anything–and since we live on a large wooded spot, there are snakes, frogs, mice and what not everywhere. I’ve seen them fly over our long driveway mostly in fall but these 2 seem to prefer closer to the house.
    just for the fun of it we wanted to come up with good nicknames for the pair…suggestions?

25. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.”
    Psalms 13:5 (KJV)

26. nikkichico7 says:

The Power of God’s Grace
    JUNE 24, 2018
    SUNDAY

Romans 5:1-5

Grace is one of God’s most amazing gifts. It provides us with everything we need to live in perfect freedom: pardon for our sins, healing for our heart, the companionship of God’s indwelling Holy Spirit, and access to freely cultivate our relationship with Him. We work, worship, and enjoy life, surrounded by His unconditional love. His grace upholds us, fills us, and sustains us.

Since we are forgiven people, the Lord responds to us not as enemies but as His dearly loved children (Rom. 8:15; Eph. 5:1). He hears our prayers, speaks to us, and acts on our behalf. The knowledge that we live under the covering of God’s grace gives us…

Security about our position. No one can snatch us out of His hand (John 10:28).

Boldness to live for Christ. Our adequacy comes from the Lord and who we are in Him, so we can live in confidence.

Peace for today because we can fully trust in His sovereignty. The Lord is carrying out His perfect will—and we can be sure that nothing is able to thwart His plan. When we cooperate with Him, we cannot fail.

Hope for the future. This life is just the beginning. One day we will see Jesus face to face, be perfected as the individuals He created us to be, and live with Him in our true home forever.

The Lord is committed to transforming each of us according to His special plan for our lives. Even His correction is an expression of His loving favor (Heb. 12:10). When we falter or fail, we can rest assured that His amazing grace hems us in and always offers us redemption.

ROMANS 5:1-5
    ROMANS 8:15
    EPHESIANS 5:1
    JOHN 10:28
    HEBREWS 12:10

🌹

27. nikkichico7 says:

What a blessing …. so many faithful posts today, truly wonderful ….

Psalm 121:5-8 New King James Version (NKJV)

5 The Lord is your keeper;
    The Lord is your shade at your right hand.
    6 The sun shall not strike you by day,
    Nor the moon by night.
    7 The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;
    He shall preserve your soul.
    8 The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in
    From this time forth, and even forevermore.

Amen

28. Dora says:

• duchess01 says:

Matthew 11:11
      “Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.”

King James Version (KJV)

29. duchess01 says:

What does the Bible say about spiritual warfare?

30. rudy1876 says:

That’s a hug?

31. smiley says:

such nasty women…

The Liberal Mean Girls Attack FLOTUS ; Are We in Ayn Rand’s Age of Envy ?

June 23, 2018

• Bendix says:

Liberals are the worst misogynists of all.
      They relish any excuse at all to attack a woman for being a woman.
      They even turned their misogyny on Hillary when they got a man they could get behind.

• Janie M. says:

smiley, I’d say they hate Melania due to jealousy (which they will never admit). Isn’t envy one of the deadly sins?

32. Zippy says:

Hilarious!

Tracey Ullman – Overly-Woke Support Group

33. rudy1876 says:

This has probably been linked already but I haven’t seen it here. 2 great guys talking.

34. Dora says:

Cute little bird, but I wish they would change his name. 🙂

35. getfitnow says:

FTA – For all their smarts, Asian Americans can be pretty dumb. They support Democrats in droves, and Democrats support race-based affirmative action. Last week, a lawsuit revealed just how discriminatory that kind of decision-making can be. At Harvard, racial balancing — in the guise of a personality score for applicants — appears to be systematically reducing the admission of Asian American students to the university. The Harvard scandal contains a lot of takeaways, but here’s the one I hope sticks with my fellow Asian Americans: It’s time for us to end our blind loyalty to the Democratic Party …

• Janie M. says:

getfitnow, I had read an article (last week, I think) about Harvard’s discriminatory tactics against the Asian American students. Then I wondered which other Ivy League universities also practiced this disreputable behavior. BTW, also read a recent article which indicated medical schools are also discriminating against white (male, I believe) students.

With regard to Asian American voting habits, I had read some years back they ALWAYS supported Democrat politicians… which has always puzzled/shocked me. Would love to see interviews of them explaining why they do so.

• rrick says:

Asians are dumb in another way. You may have heard how the Koreans defended their stores during the Los Angeles riots of the 1990s using firearms. That much is true. What is also true but not as widely reported is that people in America with Asian roots are decidedly opposed to the 2nd Amendment. The seeming discrepancy has been discussed ad nauseum on the gun blogs and forums.

The answer, supported by input from 2nd and 3rd generation Asians, is there is the perception that private ownership of firearms is so foreign (no pun intended) as not to be considered and that firearms are tools of the state only. So entrenched is this idea that it extends down into successive generations.

The genesis of that idea is back in their respective homelands even though that may have been generations ago. That should not be surprising for the Asian communities are noted for a tightly woven cultural identity adherent to tradition and family.

This is not to say that it is ‘dumb’ or a negative aspect to honor tradition or family.

36. Lucille says:

US taxpayer money going to Islamic charity with ties to jihad terror groups
    June 24, 2018, 1:00 PM, By Robert Spencer

In Islam, zakat — the alms required of every Muslim — can and should be given to further the jihad. So it shouldn’t surprise anyone that there are so many jihad-linked charities.

37. Janie M. says:

I think this is a riot! In a dress no less. 🤣 Believe she was the wild child of the Royals in her day.

Princess Margaret Riding a Horse at Ascot Before Spectators Arrive

• auscitizenmom says:

I always kind of liked her.

• Janie M. says:

Me too, auscitizenmom. I might have this wrong but wasn’t she prevented from marrying the love of her life due to protocol?He was divorced and the Church of England would not have sanctioned her marriage to the gentleman in question because of this.

• auscitizenmom says:

Yes. But, I think she ended up married to someone else and eventually divorced him. I thought she had finally married the man named Snowden, but I looked on Wikipedia and it said no. Sad.

• Janie M. says:

Found this@ wikipedia (you got it half right 😉):

“After the war, Margaret fell in love with Group Captain Peter Townsend. In 1952, Margaret’s father died, her sister became queen, and Townsend divorced his first wife. Early the following year, he proposed to Margaret. Many in the government believed he would be an unsuitable husband for the Queen’s 22-year-old sister, and the Church of England refused to countenance marriage to a divorced man.[4] Margaret eventually abandoned her plans with him and in 1960, she accepted the proposal of the photographer Antony Armstrong-Jones, who was created Earl of Snowdon by the Queen. The couple had two children: David and Sarah.”

• rrick says:

Be not loose with the term, gentleman. This man, hardly befitting despite his other accomplishments.

38. rrick says:

I am quite upset. My mother just informed me that her good friend who had been transferred to a rehabilitation facility from the hospital had been without O2 for two days. The reason she was in was for congestive heart failure. My understanding is medical O2 is vital for treatment. It was only when the hospital sent a nurse to investigate why the patient was not recovering that it was found the O2 bottles were empty since day one. My mother’s friend Annie is much better now that the issue has been resolved

I am upset because of my determined sense of injustice. It gets me into trouble sometimes. But here the subject is the physical health of this woman. Add to that the emotional stress of her caring friends, including my mother. Prayers please as you are led.

• Lucille says:

That’s terrible about your mother’s friend, rrick! Prayers are being said this day for her. Ask your Mom to tell her that. It’ll be encouraging.

I certainly know what you mean about a “sense of injustice.” My mother had several short-term stints in rehab hospitals and I wasn’t pleased with attitudes and expertise at any of them half the time. It shouldn’t be a family member’s job to follow up on everything, but it often is.

• 17CatsInTN says:

I had multiple run ins when my mother was in rehab facilities. Overall, I would rate most care is subpar, which is really a sad indictment. She was in a facility 4 times over the last couple years she lived with me and I ended up pulling her from the last one after three days because the standard of care was so bad. The only reason it took that long was because it took me a couple days to set up hospice and get the necessary medical equipment.

• rrick says:

Lucille, thank you for prayers. And to others who may be out there yet anonymous.

17Cats, I became primary care for my elderly mother recently following a severe fall. Now get this, the hospital put her on a diet which lowered her potassium. Then they treated her for congestive heart failure which she does NOT have. When she transferred to a rehab facility, they were instructed by the hospital to maintain that diet. I visited my mother very often and noticed her getting weaker. And despondent for she was kept ‘out of the loop’ of what was going on. Other patients said the same, that they did not know what was going on. They were treated cordially, everyone was nice, but the patients were attended to like children.

My alarm grew ever more as I became aware as I went around the staff that no one person took charge, that it seemed it was by committee. (I could always trust the nurses even though they were very guarded in there comments) It was by happenstance, a casual conversation with an administrative type who has nothing to do with the medical side of the facility that I found that the entire facility was run by a PhD who billed himself as a doctor. (It turned out his actual title was Social Director, his primary task of moving short term patients to long term assisted living.) Sure, he is a doctor but not a medical doctor as would be assumed in that setting. The actual medical doctor was hours away, available by phone only. “Social Director” my eye, a made up term obviously to connote happy times with new found friends. Like its the Love Boat or something.

State and federal regulations which allow this must be brought to the fore front to be critically examined.

• 17CatsInTN says:

Agree. It was appalling what happened to my mother. And that was under a doctor’s orders and care. When it comes to the elderly, I’ve reached the conclusion that many they just don’t care. It’s just a paycheck.

• rrick says:

Some clarifications are in order. My mother’s potassium (K) levels were already a bit low so there was no need to lower them further. Then, apparently, by lowering her potassium it seemed as if she suffered from congestive heart failure although that was not the case. That is, the extremely low K levels seemed to mimic the signs of congestive heart failure. Mind you, the very low K levels were induced first at the hospital then continued at the rehab facility.

Also, I expect staff, RNs inclusive to be ‘guarded’ per HIPPA even though talking to immediate family. But I am talking of more than that. It was as if ‘I am not supposed to tell you this, I could get into trouble for telling you this…’ I soon came to find the source of that secrecy, It was the policy of the facility.

17CatsInTN I will try to send you a contact on your web page. The purpose is to begin to compile anecdotes about treatment of out patients at rehabilitation facilities to present to state and federal governing agencies.

• wondering999 says:

rrick: Sorry that you and your mom have gone through this. My mom passed away a couple of years ago — well into her 90s and extremely stubborn. She was very particular about what medical care she would permit, and what she would not. She finally passed from congestive heart failure with a smile on her face, probably seeing the next world already – and she actually did have congestive heart failure, which she was refusing to treat with some of the standard medications.

I had been training for several years to try and take care of her in her last years. Along the way I have worked in a nursing home and a number of private homes. Most agencies are very short-handed, especially on weekends and evenings. These experiences have helped me to see more clearly where there are potential problems, from housing layout to diet to exercise to abuse of people who come to help. Believe it or not, some people are extremely rude to the caretakers who come to help them. It is low status work, and some people assume that anyone who signs up to help out must be “beneath them”. I laugh at this — I see all people as equals, including those with intellectual disabilities — we all have something to give, and something to learn.

Anyway. May I make a suggestion to all Treepers who have relatives, maybe fresh out of high school with no idea what they want to do — or bored with a desk job, wanting to get out more? Please register with an agency and train to help those in need of daily assistance. If you make this your mission you may help to ease many families, and eventually even your own — it can be very satisfying work emotionally, even though pay is minimal.

39. sobriquet4u says:

Just spent a relaxing afternoon perusing magazines in Barnes and Nobles. Shifting Time rag to the back of selections, flipping the Life(?) Mag cover of Presidents wives over and displaying the back because they had put Melania’s picture on the back cover., taking Hillary’s book one at a time and dispersing it throughout the store. It was time consuming but worth the effort.
    I no doubt will return after the 27th to “adjust” the slime ball Bill Clintons new book. I was thinking about leaving a copy on the backs of the commodes?? Also…heads up James Patterson,(you traitor) my entire collection has been placed in the paper recycle bin at my local Waste Management in hopes of them being recycled into toilet paper. What a delight that would be.
    Speakin of toilets… James Clapper also has a book out and I think maybe the Crapper would make a more effective display. The list goes on and I may have to resort to stealth movements at various bookstores.
    No books were harmed in the making of this story…well except for Patterson and just think of it as reincarnation.

40. Sepp says:

Today is the 4th Sunday after Pentecost according to the traditional calendar of the Orthodox Church. The Healing of the Centurion’s Servant is the Gospel for the Liturgy from the Holy Gospel of Saint Matthew, the Apostle – Matthew 8:5-13.

The link below is to the Explanation of the Gospel by Saint Theophylact, Archbishop of Ohrid and Bulgaria, who lived ten centuries ago.

Also, today, among the Saints who are commemorated are the Holy Apostles Bartholomew and Barnabas (of the 70).

41. SwampRatTerrier says:

• wondering999 says:

This is interesting. Assange describes the destruction of Libya as the “uncorking of the bottle” that led to the massive refugee/migrant influx into Europe. HillC had hoped that the destruction of Libya would help her to get elected. HillC marshalled her supporters in banking, weapons, Saudi Arabia, intelligence and elsewhere and collapsed Libya; and it all turned into a huge mess, especially in Syria and Europe.

Especially interesting is the list of Obama cabinet members who were suggested and put forward by a major U.S. bank (Citi)

42. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

43. kea says:

So I have an old USA flag that really needs to be retired… (Yes I need to buy a new flag)

I have read you can bring the old flag to an American Legion or VFW? Anyone have any experience in doing this? Thanks.