Joy

Of all the talents gifted to men, I most wish that I had some musical gift. I have always wanted to be able to sing, but sometimes I see the joy that  great musicians are capable of sharing with others.

The first time I watched this I was absorbed by the music. The second time the faces of the audience caught my attention. You can see how emotional they are, and how the music moves them. The third time I watched, I could see the expression of satisfaction on the faces of the musicians who know they have a rare and beautiful gift to share.

Finally, I think the song brings joy in all the many versions we each have heard throughout the years. Surely John Newton was gifted by the Holy Spirit with the words that would touch the hearts of millions of people, people across all religions, and yes, convert more than a few, or at least leave their hearts and minds open for the Spirit to move in them.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

120 Responses to Joy

1. Missing Andrew says:

2. Missing Andrew says:

3. Missing Andrew says:

4. Missing Andrew says:

5. Missing Andrew says:

6. Missing Andrew says:

7. Colorado Conservative says:

Absolutely exquisite, THANK YOU for posting this lovely video. And you are right, the faces of the audience said it all.

8. Delibero says:

Thanks very much Menagerie. It was sad (as usual) but also very uplifting. Rieu and his orchestra are masters of their various musical talents and have brought much joy and laughter into the world. I’ve watched many Rieu concerts over the years and downloaded several on I Tunes but I never knew “the front row clarinetest” Manoe could also play the bagpipes until today. I looked up her story thanks to your video and found it very interesting.

“Manoe Konings was reading music before she knew her A B C’s. As a little girl she used to tell her mother about the three things in life she wanted the most: making music, to become famous and to reach the age of 96. Two of the three have become reality already.”

“My grandfather was a trumpet player. He also wrote lines for comedians and songs for carnival. From him I inherited the love for music. As a little girl I played the clarinet with the marching band “Heer Voouit.” I was the only girl and can still vividly remember the discussions we had whether I should wear slacks or a skirt. Luckily it became slacks. We played a wide varied musical repertoire: opera overtures, marches, Ravel’s “Bolero”. Afterwards I attended the conservatory in Maastricht, and played in several regular orchestras. I did not feel comfortable there. Since 1989 I have been with André and the Johann Strauss Orchestra. An open lovely and relaxed atmosphere prevails there. In the beginning we were with just twelve people. Now we have about sixty orchestra members….”

The rest of her story is at the fan blog: http://harmonyparlor.blogspot.ca/2012/01/getting-acquainted-with-clarinetist.html

(I didn’t want to break a dubious CTH record for longest copy and paste.)

All of Rieu’s presentations are masterful and enjoyable but it was Carmen Monarcha singing “O Mio Babino Caro” that 1st caught my attention to opera and a Rieu concert even though I didn’t understand a word of it.

• Delibero says:

Note–The song is about a very young daughter pleading with her father to allow her to see the “boy-man” she loves.

9. Delibero says:

Ad Rem: It was very disappointing to watch my “Rieu” post to Menagerie disappear into oblivion.

10. There are certain pieces of music that I’m convinced were written in heaven by the hand of the Almighty. He taps one of his gifted singers on the shoulder and says: “Sing this!”. There can be no other explanation for such perfection. Amazing Grace indeed.

11. Mustang4176 says: