In many regards the transfer of the CIA Director to the Position of Secretary of State is a natural continuum.  Most career foreign office CIA operatives work under the auspices of being State Department personnel.  The CIA and State Department are inherently connected.

[A familiar reference would be, the synergy of Leon Panetta and Hillary Clinton during their Libya and Syria operations in 2010, 2011, 2012.]

Today Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrives at Foggy Bottom (State HQ) in Washington DC to meet the diplomatic corps.  He delivered introductory remarks:

[Transcript] DEPUTY SECRETARY SULLIVAN: Thank you. Thank you, everyone, for being here. It’s a great honor to be here to introduce our new Secretary of State. Before I do so, I wanted to thank all of you, each and every one of you, for your hard work over the last six weeks. The pace of world events doesn’t pause to allow the United States Government to change from one secretary of state to another, but it’s because of your dedication and professionalism that this department has continued to meet its mission for the American people. So thank you to all of you for all you’ve done the last six weeks. (Applause.)

And now it’s my great honor to introduce our new Secretary. You all know his bio; he’s a former three-term member of Congress, former-now director of the Central Intelligence Agency.

I offer my own perspective as somebody who comes from the private practice of law; in looking at his bio, I looked at it through the lens of a former law firm partner, and I imagined how I would assess his bio if I were looking at our opposing counsel, and I had to advise my client on who we were going to be dealing with. And what stood out to me was we have a tank commander who then went to Harvard Law School and was elected to the Harvard Law Review, which is a pretty unusual combination.

So if I were advising my client about who we were going to be dealing with on the other side of the table if we’re in negotiation, or if it were in a court room, I’d say, “Wow. Well, ma’am, we’re dealing with a cross between George Patton and Oliver Wendell Holmes.” (Laughter.)

So without further ado, I’ll turn over the microphone to the 70th Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo. (Applause and cheers.)

SECRETARY POMPEO: Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thanks for those most gracious words, John. And thank you for your service and standing in the gap. You’ve done a remarkable job; the whole team has. I’ve had the chance to work alongside you as the CIA director when you were the acting secretary, and you have done this organization incredibly proud. America should be proud of you, and thank you for this amazing work. (Applause and cheers.)

So I think I have the record for the longest trip to the first day of work. (Laughter.) And I am humbled to be here. I tried to prepare myself for this moment, but to stand here and look at the most important diplomatic corps in the world is enormously humbling to me. I talked in my hearing about the fact that this nation is so exceptional and so incredibly blessed. And the facts that derive from that are that it also creates a responsibility, a duty for America all across the world. And I know for certain that America can’t execute that duty, can’t achieve its objectives absent you all, absent executing America’s foreign policy in every corner of the world with incredible vigor and incredible energy. And I am looking forward to helping you all achieve that. (Applause.)

My remarks today will be relatively brief. Tomorrow the President will be here to do my official swearing-in. I think much of the cabinet will be here as well. It’s an important day for the President’s first trip to this important place, and I’m looking forward to being there with many of you and having the honor to have the President of the United States do my formal swearing-in.

I then will, sometime either later this week or beginning of next, do more to develop my commander’s intent, what it is I hope to achieve with your help. I’ll speak to the entire work force, I’ll lay out for you my expectations and my hopes, and most importantly, share with you my leadership style. And this is very different. Like, one of the first rules is don’t talk down to people, right? (Laughter.) So I’ll speak to you all right up here, exactly.

But alongside that is that I feel like I know you. I’ve worked alongside you as a member of Congress when I traveled. I’ve had the chance to watch when I was traveling around the world and I would go into an embassy and I’d arrive late at night and there were the folks in the political section or the economic section toiling, doing great work on behalf of America.

So I have a great deal to learn about the State Department and how we perform our mission, but as people, I’m confident that I know who you are. I know that you came here. You chose to be a Foreign Service officer or a civil servant or to come work here in many other capacities and to do so because you’re patriots and great Americans and because you want to be an important part of America’s face to the world. My mission will be to lead you and allow you to do that, the very thing you came here to do. (Applause.)

I will get to as many parts of this organization as I can. I said in my testimony that I’ll spend as little time on the seventh floor – I think it’s the seventh floor, right? Yeah. (Laughter.) I’ll go up there in a minute. I’ll be – I’ll travel. I’m going to get out to USAID as quickly as I can to see their important part of our mission as well. I know that every task, every endeavor that each of you undertakes is a critical part of achieving that ultimate objective, which is to deliver President Trump and America’s foreign policy around the world, to be the diplomatic face that achieves the outcomes that America so desperately needs to achieve in the world.

I’ve told this story a couple of times, but it’s worth repeating: The best lesson I ever got was from a fellow named Sgt. 1st Class Petry. He was the first platoon sergeant in my first tank platoon when I was 22 or 23 years old. And I arrived there and he, when I hopped out of the jeep, he said, “Lieutenant, you’ll do well to just shut up for a while.” (Laughter.) And he – and actually, I think he meant that, but – (laughter) – but what I took him to be saying was that it’s important that we listen and learn, and I know that I have an enormous amount to listen to you about and to learn from you. I talked about getting back our swagger, and I’ll fill in what I mean by that, but it’s important. The United States diplomatic corps needs to be in every corner, every stretch of the world, executing missions on behalf of this country, and it is my humble, noble undertaking to help you achieve that.

So I look forward – (applause) – thank you. (Applause.) I look forward to meeting just as many of you as I can get a chance to do, to learning from just as many of you as I can, and to leading that team onto the field. I know that we will deliver for this President and for this country. Thank you. May the Good Lord bless each of you. I’ll see you all around the building. Thanks. (Applause.)

[End Transcript]

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, CIA, media bias, President Trump, Secretary of State, Secretary Pompeo, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

120 Responses to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Arrives At U.S. State Dept. – Delivers Introduction Speech…

1. SharkDiver says:

Has he started firing everyone yet?

• MaineCoon says:

Firings are scheduled for Fridays at 4.

• TheWanderingStar says:

Self-deportation, hopefully.

• GB Bari says:

Funny you posted that, first thing out of the gate.

My thoughts, watching him today on OANN giving this speech, was how cool, and gracious, and eloquent he was. This, despite probably knowing without any doubt that, among the smiling faces in the crowd assembled around him and in he lobby, were likely enemies of this State, spies and political saboteurs, who will undermine our country at every opportunity. Bastards who are embedded by the previous administration to bring down Pompeo and Trump. Communists who have been around the State Department for years.

Knowing all that, Pompeo still delivered as gracious an introductory speech as could anyone. He appears well-suited for the task at hand.

• Peg_C the Deplorable says:

I wondered how many of them were seething or popping antacids, and whether they’ve devised how they’ll foment sabotage and treason and not get caught by the NSA. Also, how many of them are on 0bama’s speed dial? Hope Pompeo puts the fear of God in them all.

• Kris says:

Q – “We have it all”!!!

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Just look at the faces of the people behind him in the stills of the videos (i.e. whichever frame YouTube or whatever picks to represent the vid).

None too happy campers there. We’ll see what Friday (May The Fourth… 🙂 ) brings…

• 1stgoblyn says:

Peg, I don’t think any of them have Soetoro on speed dial. ValJar, no doubt, but Soetoro had to try to keep a hands off appearance. They all used alias e-mail accounts and had obtuse persons on speed dial, who then relayed info to ValJar, who then gave Soetoro the 411. I wonder if anyone has collected ValJar’s e-mails (esp those under her aliases) and texts? Why did Barry get to keep his Blackberry?

• Cisco says:

A little carrot before the stick.

• Charlotte says:

Agreed.
          Also this:
          I imagine Hillary screamed orders to them

• Turranos says:

Exactly, let the house cleaning begin while it is still spring.

• DD More says:

Shark – “firing everyone yet?

That was T-Rex’s Job at State Department.

Asking the fundamental question: “what is your specific and quantifiable value to the core DoS mission; and how do we measure your effectiveness therein”? The lack of reasonable answers within the bureaucratic ranks is leading to massive downsizing. For those who have not been dismissed, retirement has become a preferred alternative, they find no demand for their expertise. A retirement class that concludes this month has 26 senior employees, including two acting assistant secretaries in their early 50s who would normally wait years before leaving.
      The number of those with the department’s top two ranks of career ambassador and career minister — equivalent to four- and three-star generals — will have been cut in half by Dec. 1, from 39 to 19. And of the 431 minister-counselors, who have two-star-equivalent ranks, 369 remain and another 14 have indicated that they will leave soon — an 18 percent drop — according to an accounting provided by the American Foreign Service Association.
      The political appointees who normally join the department after a change in administration have not made up for those departures. So far, just 10 of the top 44 political positions in the department have been filled, and for most of the vacancies, Mr. Tillerson has not nominated anyone.

But at least Mike already knows about the IRAN DEAL.
      President Obama didn’t require Iranian leaders to sign the nuclear deal that his team negotiated with the regime, and the deal is not “legally binding,” his administration acknowledged in a letter to Representative Mike Pompeo (R., Kan.) obtained by National Review.
      “The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is not a treaty or an executive agreement, and is not a signed document,” wrote Julia Frifield, the State Department assistant secretary for legislative affairs, in the November 19 letter.

Remember this anytime reading Iran’s views about the US pulling out. “If it was so Good, Why Didn’t They Sign On to IT?

2. John Doe says:

I really really think we’re gonna love this guy.

3. littleanniesfannie says:

Thank you Mr. Secretary. We are collecting Clorox, Mean Green, Bon Ami, scrub brushes and towels for your “housecleaning”! Ready, set, GO!!

• lokiscout says:

How quickly we forget TRex.

• trialbytruth says:

I have not forgotten.bim. I believe he was instrumental in the changes.in the middle.east. That was his experience and expertise. He served his mission and has now.moved.on I doubt pompao will be there forever. He will Put korea.to bed.

Is he the best we have to deal with Iran. I simply don’t know if he is that will be his next task. However I suspect (highly influenced by Thomas Wictor) that that battle is nearly over. Thomas bring s up a very interesting point. How did Israel get 1000lbs of documents and CDs out of Irans most secure facility? Wictors answer is the elite Iranian guard has turned against the Mullahs.

It is an interesting assumption how else to you move that much material and not have someone notice. Regardless Irans Mullahs have a big problems demonstrations Nationwide, and a worthless currency.

The question becomes.whats next turkey? Europe.russia.mexico. At some.time.we will need a different skill.set

• lokiscout says:

I think Bolton was brought on to help with Iran. I agree our President is a specialist manager. He matches the person to the problem at hand. Problem solved? Good next problem next specialist.

• Tom F says:

Sec Tillerson deserves recognition for his contribution to MAGA.
          Thanks for the positive comments.

• Old Codger says:

“How did Israel get 1000lbs of documents and CDs out of Irans most secure facility?”

The guards just took too long on that last cigarette/ hookah break!

Another reason to quit smoking!!! LOL!

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

Don’t forget a sandblaster and pressure washer.

• trumpsbamagirl says:

Might want to add a few rat traps and roach motels, too!!!!

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

I have a can of “Zud” somewhere…

4. MaineCoon says:

5. MaineCoon says:

6. MaineCoon says:

Nice tribute.

7. All Too Much says:

When Congress and OIG being asking for Clinton Foundation relevant records from State, I doubt Pompeo will slow track compliance.

8. Doppler says:

Wow, what a great impromptu intro. The kind of guy most people want as their leader, obviously generating positive chemistry with a deep state crowd, while asking the Lord’s blessing on them all. Nothing even mentioned about NK, and his crucial, secret role in setting the table. That’s understatement. They know how to teach leadership at the USMA.

• Jainphx says:

The fact he asked for the LORDS blessing is a pleasure to hear! Not many in government at any level have the guts to do that! To me that’s intestinal fortitude above and beyond

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“he asked for the LORDS blessing is a pleasure to hear! ”

Big time “splody heads’, there. I wonder if the leftists are going to file lawsuits about that? I wish some of these judges would just flat out throw cases like that right out and impose court costs on those responsible.

• dayallaxeded says:

He referenced NK with a little subtlety–“Record for longest commute to first day at work.”

• mariner says:

I’m not sure how that referenced NK.

Pompeo’s trip to work was from Jordan.

• dayallaxeded says:

I took it to refer to NK as his first task as a diplomat/SoS, though not yet formally confirmed/sworn. Similar would, I guess, also be true for Jordan–ambiguity–ain’t it grand!

• sat0422 says:

Seems like he has done much work and gone on several missions before being selected as Secretary of State. That’s how important jobs should be filled…by people who have a track record of success.
            Obama appoiinted people based on gender, sexual preference, and their religiion (Muslim). Yep, he was judgemental personally and could care less if a person was qualified to do a job.

• 1stgoblyn says:

He needed persons like himself placed in positions of importance. Ya know, someone not qualified/skilled to do the job.

9. Pam says:

The biggest impression I got from this event was that it looked like a real morale booster for the state department. They all seemed very thrilled to see Pompeo in this role. He gave a great powerful speech here.

10. no-nonsense-nancy says:

He’s going to make a great SOS. I can;t wait to see him in action. You could see how excited the state dept members were to have him on board.

11. Gil says:

He is going to travel a lot. GOOD. Flush out all the ne’er do wells around the world. See who is working vs. Spending money to party. Keep them on their toes. And in person hand offs of sensitive communications directly from Pompeo are much more secure.

12. Deplorable_Infidel says:

“The United States diplomatic corps needs to be in every corner, every stretch of the world, executing missions on behalf of this country, and it is my humble, noble undertaking to help you achieve that.”

I just hope that does not include more of the same-old “exporting democracy” John McCain (R-AZ) style neocon dung that has been going on for the past ~35 years or so.

13. wheatietoo says:

I think he will be a good fit for the job.

Has he even taken time out for any sleep yet…since he was sworn it?
    Maybe a little on his longer flights.

Pompeo was doing the job, even before he received his senate confirmation.
    And he hit the ground running as soon as he was made the ‘official’ Sec of State.

He’s gone from being “invisible”…to having the most visible job in the cabinet.

I’m referring to that little exchange in one of Pres Trump’s cabinet meetings, where the Pres was going around the table, acknowledging each cabinet member.
    Pompeo replied with something like…”Thank you, Mr. President, just doing my job — being invisible.”
    Heheh.

• Comrade Mope says:

I duuno. I see Pompeo putting in a year, maybe a year and a half and on to the next. I don’t know what it is, but I don’t see him hanging around. But then, Heather Nauert is really running that show. ;~)

14. noman_Arizona says:

That long trip.
    For A VSG. Ended with success.
    The swagger of winning.

15. Maquis says:

America is in good hands. Very impressive, and quite encouraging. Godspeed, Secretary Pompeo.

GBPDJT
    🇺🇸

16. MaineCoon says:

He is extrememly personalble and very humble. There was an excitement in the air that he was to be their leader. Lots of people smiling, nodding. The concurred with his mission to help them be the diplomatic leaders and civil servants the signed up to be upon hiring. He is an excellent leader. Inspiring them to reach the highest pinnacle of their position and the Department. How exciting that POTUS will personally swear him in tomorrow! Wow! First one yet! speaks volumes to the Department and to the world.

17. Cow wow says:

‘…and share with you, most importantly, my leadership style, and this is very different.’
    I took notice of these words. God’s speed Mr. Secretary of State.

18. Margaret Berger says:

Loved the comments about the firings, it was my first thought. Probably can’t do it right away may have to continue the T-Rex program of having the untrustables process freedom of information paperwork.

19. MaineCoon says:

Nice welcome by all.

20. fleporeblog says:

The relationship between our President and Secretary of State Pompeo is absolutely amazing! Both men hold each other in such high regard. They are completely aligned in terms of what needs to be accomplished for our Great Nation.

Secretary Pompeo has a chance to truly catapult himself into the discussion of replacing our Lion 🦁 as the 46th President of the USA 🇺🇸. Just think that under his leadership at the State Department, he has an opportunity to end the Korean War, have North Korea 🇰🇵 completely denuclearize, have the Mullah’s overthrown by the Iranian people and see to a successful peace accord between Israel 🇮🇱 and Palestine 🇵🇸.

Do we have some incredible Republicans in the pipeline! Rep. Devin Nunes, Governor Greg Abbott, Secretary Zeinke, Secretary Pompeo and Nikki Haley.

21. MaineCoon says:

Good. He’s direct just like POTUS.

22. Former lurker says:

Heather Nauert.

Just dang.

Oh, and great speech!

23. ecmarsh says:

“I think it’s the seventh floor, right? Yeah. (Laughter.) I’ll go up there in a minute.”
    Did you see the expression on the man behind him, grinning? They know what goes on up there.

24. Dutchman says:

His predecessor set the stage. Brilliant as we’ve come to expect, Mr.President.

25. Plain spoken yet sophisticated. I like that.

26. billrla says:

Obama hold-overs and Clinton sycophants be gone!

27. rayvandune says:

“Oh, one more thing… coffee is for Closers!!”

28. Scarlet says:

I have, like , a crazy girl crush on him… 🤭

29. Was interesting to see Mrs. Pompeo with him every step of the way. She knew a lot of people there, too. Remember, behind every great man . . .

30. Explanation of how our uranium ended up in Syria and Iran, which if they attack USA with will trace back to Russia and at the end if we didn’t know it could end up as WWIII between us and Russia. Whole this complicated thing was set up by Obamer, Hillary and globalists.

31. Judiciary says:

Sec of State Mike Pompeo told Dept. workers “…you’re patriots and great Americans…” but might have added, “and if you aren’t, you’re out of here!”

32. Pam says:

33. Pam says:

• Strikes me that these people have NEVER EVER worked under a full chain of command running on incontrovertible INTEGRITY and pure PATRIOTISM.

Under President Trump’s and Mike Pompeo’s leadership, most might surprise us.

34. I’ve followed Mike Pompeo from the get go. Why? Because of his extraordinary accomplishments at all of the “in” institutions. This guy is sauve. This guy is cool. He comes across as an average Joe (because he listens) but his intelligence level is so elite). Note his standings in graduation classes. He met with Rocket Boy. He listened. And reported back to Trump. Pompeo was the perfect man for the job.

35. Note Mike’s mention of Commander’s Intent.
    His leadership style will be all about OUTCOMES.

36. 335blues says:

Go get ’em Mike, America needs saving from globalists and communists.

37. Anon says:

State and the CIA are connected. As they say overseas, no American embassy, no problem.

38. LibertyONE says:

I believe that SOS Pompeo WILL be one of the greatest SOS. I’m sure the Deep State left overs from the Ogungo Regime are shi*ting in their pants and IF they were there, they had to take a truck load of opioids. God bless you Mike and CLEAN up the f’in dept.

39. NewOrleans says:

I have high hopes for Pompeo.

I really hope he’s so busy with the President’s agenda that he’ll lay off his obsession about arresting Julian Assange.

40. Kerry Gimbel says:

I have to say, I think Pompeo will be around for a good while. Just a feeling I have. Partly because he seems to think the same as Trump

41. Kerry Gimbel says:

I also think as far as cleaning up the State Dept ent, Rex probably wasn’t up for that job. But I can easily see Pompeo doing it.

42. trumpsbamagirl says:

I thought this ‘warning shot’ by the Deputy Director was directed more at the adversaries within the State Department than those of foreign countries…

“””So if I were advising my client about who we were going to be dealing with on the other side of the table if we’re in negotiation, or if it were in a court room, I’d say, “Wow. Well, ma’am, we’re dealing with a cross between George Patton and Oliver Wendell Holmes.”

So that’s a pretty tough combination to face as an opponent, but the good news for us is he’s coming here to lead our team. It’s the adversaries of the United States who are going to be facing that formidable opponent across the table.”””

• PNWLifer says:

Not only that, but the President is making his first trip to State to swear him in. Trump is sending a powerful message to everyone at State by doing this. Every single black hat left at State should be very nervous that their new boss, the most recent head of the CIA, probably knows everything about them.

43. Pyrthroes says:

Just after the Super Tuesday primaries in March 2016, which clinched his nomination as the Republican (sic) Presidential candidate, some media hanger-on asked Trump, “How will you know whether the DC Swamp is draining off?”

Spaketh the Master: “We’ll know when residential real estate prices in southern Maryland and northern Virginia have fallen by two-thirds.” Indeed!– and who better than a trio of related New York commercial RE developers to pick up the pieces? Not because of inside knowledge or any “corrupt deal”, but because those who know Trump best have learned to track his moves with exquisite precision.

This seems to be a truly native talent– either you think like a billionaire entrepreneur, or you do not.
    In our case, the answer’s all too obvious.

44. hellinahandbasket says:

State Department Exercise in Transparency in Democracy (or spin and obfuscation)

45. hillbilly4 says:

And to think…there was a time when the MSM reported he might not get the votes needed. Now, let’s give him time to get on his feet. SOS is rising from the ashes.

46. rhinOC says:

There’s something odd about the looks on the faces of the people standing behind the secretary in the poster frame to this article. Not quite as bad but similiar to the faces of the Obama staff on their admit defeat day.