Saturday April 21st – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

276 Responses to Saturday April 21st – Open Thread

1. kenji says:

Earth Day #1 … 1970 …My entire Middle school … with the full approval of the administration … MARCHED to the downtown of our small suburban city in Northern CA. To “raise awareness” of how our evil American industrialized Society was destroying the planet. Which wasn’t really going to matter, because Paul Ehrlich had just written a NYT Bestselling book insisting that we were all going to starve to death and/or be wiped out by the ensuing worldwide thermonuclear war. We were just children enjoying our time out of the classroom. Children being used as props by the likes of HER and HER mentor Saul Alinsky … to subvert American society. But of course, we need to be good stewards of our planet. A burning Cuyahoga river is totally unacceptable! And the smog in LA basin was atrocious. Nobody with a brain would argue against balancing industrial progress with environmental care (like the UNIPCC is willing to waive for China, India, and Africa). But the eco-freaks aren’t satisfied living in the cleanest, most regulated, most prosperous nation on the planet. It’s not enough, until we all return to a “simpler lifestyle” of riding bikes, growing our own vegetables in kitchen waste compost and pooping in the woods. Oh … but they get to keep their iPhones, and http://www.com, and UPS delivery of their online hand-carved driftwood sculpture business. We simply must stop using petro, petrochemicals, and stop mining mother Gaia of all her resources (except lithium and other battery chemicals for our Tesla saloons). That’s the problem with Earth Day. Like so many other noble causes, it was hijacked, nay created, to “transform” our capitalist society. Created to restrain our liberty and freedoms. Created to punish business and commerce. I believe that intelligent people can sort through the truth and the falsehoods in such movements and political theatre. As with children MARCHING to “end” gun violence in our schools. Who would argue with that? But we DO argue that restraining the right for law-abiding citizens to own guns is NOT a solution, nor acceptable.

So enjoy your Earth Day fellow citizens … and give thanks to God for creating this unique and improbable planet. Don’t thank the Gaia gods. Thank the God of all creation. And take good care of what we have been given. Our bodies are God’s temple, as surely the rocks, hills, rivers, woods, and all the creatures are his temple. And so I leave my fellow motorists with the song that was playing as we MARCHED (more like shuffled, while chatting) through my suburban downtown in 1970. We should remember that we are both resilient and fragile … just like our planet. So be strong, and be wise, and be a good steward … until we return to our creator. That’s where I’m gonna go, when I die …

• Janie M. says:

And how many Superfund Sites have yet to be remediated, kenj? Can they ever be? These were created decades ago.

• Fannie says:

YouTube is suggesting I watch videos on minimalist living. So I watched a TED talk where an affluent US woman said that when she saw how happy people were in Africa even though they had so little, she decided to sell her 5,000-square-foot country estate and move into a small city apartment. Then there’s ads here in the DFW area for a sustainable living expo with a tiny house village, green vendors and an eco-car show. Beware.

• kenji says:

However .. the #1 song at the time reminds us to … Let it Be

Proving that McCartney was STILL the “cute Beatle” even when looking a bit scruffy, and his vocal talents were sublime. A bittersweet goodbye to the Band that provided the greatest soundtrack a generation has ever had.

2. BigMamaTEA says:

New RNC ad…

3. Deplorable_Infidel says:

WEEKEND METEOR SHOWER: Earth is entering a stream of debris from Comet Thatcher, source of the annual Lyrid meteor shower. If forecasters are correct, the Lyrids will peak this weekend with as many as 20 meteors per hour. Programmer Ian Webster created this interactive visualization of Comet Thatcher’s dusty debris stream:

Occasionally Earth glides through an unusually dense clump of debris from Comet Thatcher, and this can cause a meteor outburst. For instance, one observer in the 19th century reportedly counted 167 Lyrids in 15 minutes. Another outburst in 1982 produced 90 Lyrids per hour. No such outburst is predicted for 2018—but then again, no outbursts were predicted on those previous occasions either. If you’re up late, take a look.

The best time to see these meteors is during the hours before sunrise on Sunday, April 22, when the shower’s radiant is high in the sky. Dress warmly. Bring a reclining chair, or spread a thick blanket over a flat spot of ground. Lie down and look up. Meteors can appear in any part of the sky, although their trails will tend to point back toward the constellation Lyra.

SOUTHERN LIGHTS: When an interplanetary shock wave hit Earth’s magnetic field on April 19th, northern skies lit up with electric blue auroras. Southern skies lit up, too, but the palette was different. Peter Sayers sends this photo of red, yellow and green lights over Wilmot, Tasmania:

Stunning aurora tonight overlooking Wilmot and the iconic Mt Roland. Bright naked eye, fast moving structures from east top west lasting an hour or two. All images Canon 6D Tamron 15/30mm and Sigma 15mm ISO3200 to 5000 and 20 second exposures. All images through Lightroom to clean up any noise but color saturation not altered from camera.

• nikkichico7 says:

I thought I missed it! Whoo-Hoo!!
      Oh boy I’m setting a timer on my phone …. I can’t sleep in anyways …. dang cats get me up to feed them, Nikki has actually perfected a “whimper/whiney” trill … she good at the guilt trip stuff, ruddy fur ball 🤨
      Thanks deplorable_infidel 🙂🌸

4. Zippy says:

Another excellent video:

5. Pat Frederick says:

today would have been my sister’s 60th birthday, but she succumbed to MS several years ago. In the last years of her life, she was confined to a wheelchair and now whenever she visits me (in my dreams) she is always walking or running with me somewhere and laughing. And before I wake, she hugs me–and believe me when i say this– I wake up feeling warm, comforted and happy.
    Happy Birthday Joanne!

• New Nonna to be Again!!! says:

😊

• Minnie says:

Beautiful, Pat, thank you for sharing your personal experience.

Dad passed in December, 2016, and I often dream of him – strong, whole and walking on his own.

I believe our loved ones who have passed make their presence known to us just when we need them the most.

❤️❤️

• New Nonna to be Again!!! says:

What comfort and happiness such dreams must be, Minnie. I’m a lil jelly. But very happy you have such dreams. For that my heart is happy. 💕💖

• Minnie says:

❤️

Dad was such a strong man, patient, quiet, dignified and kind to all he met.

I strive to follow his lead, and even after all these years I struggle.

Life’s ups and downs are difficult to maneuver and when my life journey was significantly upended I drew closer to my faith, something Dad always modeled.

When I am struggling most is when Dad appears.

It is an honor and blessing to be Dad’s daughter.

❤️

• New Nonna to be Again!!! says:

It is an honor and blessing to be Dad’s daughter.

Amen.

(And like the good Dad he was, he’s there for you in those times of struggle to still reassure you: It’s ok… it’s ok. Everything’s going to be ok. Thank you, God, for this loving man and the example he was to his daughters. 🙏 We trust in You and have faith he is in Your Holy Presence. And that we will see him again, and then for eternity. Amen.)

• Pat Frederick says:

So sorry about your Dad Minnie!
            I lost my Dad 4 years ago. But he never visited me in dreams–I waited and waited and then one night he finally did.
            He told me another joke–that was my Dad’s thing–to tell these awful jokes. I knew it was him cuz it was one i never heard before (or didn’t remember).
            I woke up laughing in the middle of the night and my husband woke up too. I told him what happened and how blessed I felt and went back to sleep.
            Dad visits a little more now, but he gives me this wonderful calm comforting hug always!
            Here’s to our Dads!

• Minnie says:

❤️❤️❤️

God’s ways are not our ways.

He shows His mighty hand in His way, in His timing.

There ARE angels among us.

❤️❤️❤️

6. Deplorable_Infidel says:

CDC Kept Flu Vaccine In Play When It Knew It Contained Mutated Strain Of The Flu
    By Bill Sardi April 21, 2018

“The body of a missing Centers for Disease Control researcher has been found. Timothy Cunningham, 25, was last seen on February 12. Cunningham headed up a research team with the Center For Disease Control’s Division of Population Health. Cunningham had made claims, shortly before his disappearance, that a “catastrophic” flu shot was the cause of this year’s deadly flu epidemic that reportedly killed thousands.

Cunningham reportedly mentioned: “if something happened to him” that he wished his name to be made public. Cunningham was a Harvard-trained epidemiologist and US Navy officer. His body was recovered in the Chattahoochee River in NW Atlanta on April 3, over fifty days since he was reported missing…..”

7. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Illinois demands day-care operators go defenseless
    Ordered to advertise that they are disarmed

“There are classes of people for whom the Second Amendment does not apply. Those who are in mental institutions or who have been adjudicated to belong there. Those who are in prisons or who have been adjudicated to belong there.

And in Illinois, day care-operators.

Not only is the state demanding that they be disarmed, they are being required to advertise the fact that they are defenseless…..”

• wondering999 says:

Uhoh. That means that the Dear Leaders are planning a daycare event in Illinois. This stinks.

• wondering999 says:

At times I have worked caring for people with dementia and other conditions. I use common sense and won’t work in a home if guns are prominently displayed around an person who might easily be delusional. In one situation the family granted my request by covering up the gun cabinet in the room. In another they simply removed the gun cabinet from the house (which also made the house a burglary target, a lot of healthcare workers were coming and going. Guns (and other valuables like his wife’s emerald jewelry) needed to be locked up out of sight — not because I would steal them, but out of consideration for my time and comfort, because I don’t even want to *begin* to deal with a situation where valuables can disappear.

Firearms and other dangerous objects — electric irons, matches, insecticides etc. should all be out of reach of small children, especially in a daycare. That’s a given. But the weapons-free designation should not be advertised at the door for the crazies to begin scheming.

• wondering999 says:

Now all of a sudden, because we have had *so many* idiotic incidents, I begin to wonder about the Dunblane massacre in Scotland. The perpetrator of that crime was demented; but could a Bob Creamer in British government, been behind the massacre? I no longer rule out the possibility. Time to invest in tinfoil for hats…

• wondering999 says:

Dunblane massacre — and it sounds like the guy who did this heinous act was a pedophile? Like so many with UK leadership positions that we’ve heard of —

• auscitizenmom says:

“Public debate about the killings centred on gun control laws, including public petitions calling for a ban on private ownership of handguns and an official inquiry, which produced the 1996 Cullen Reports.[2] In response to this debate, two new Firearms Acts were passed, which outlawed private ownership of most handguns in Great Britain.” Sound familiar?

8. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Porsche Evildoer Arrested

“….“Up to” – but not necessarily actually. And “up to” “40 times” isn’t much when we’re not even talking whole numbers. The emissions at issue are fractions of a whole number, the difference between one regulatory “bin” and “tier” and the next up (or down) “bin” and “tier.”

VW/Audi/Porsche – the company and its people – are in the frying pan not for any harms they’ve caused; arguably, their “cheating” diesels did lots of tangible good – by saving their owners lots of money by using less fuel. The automaker and its people – talented, productive people such as Schmidt and Kerner, both of whom are brilliant engineers – are in the hot seat for having dared to affront Uncle and his useless eater regulatory minions….”

9. I love and appreciate all of you here at THE LAST REFUGE by Sundance for your wisdom and participation

10. Moishe Pipik says:

Right after the Starbucks incident, people are now afraid to call the police when non-customers are loitering in their business, and the police, if they are called, won’t make an arrest.

So things like this will happen:

11. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

12. nikkichico7 says:

May the Lord bless
    Sundance
    Menagerie
    Stella
    Regan
    All who are challenged with health cares, and the cares of this world
    All treepers and ….. lurkers 😉

Psalm 34 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    The Lord, a Provider and Deliverer.
    A Psalm of David when he [a]feigned madness before [b]Abimelech, who drove him away and he departed.
    I will bless the Lord at all times;
    His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
    2 My soul will make its boast in the Lord;
    The humble will hear it and rejoice.
    3 O magnify the Lord with me,
    And let us exalt His name together.
    4 I sought the Lord, and He answered me,
    And delivered me from all my fears.
    5 They looked to Him and were radiant,
    And their faces will never be ashamed.
    6 This [c]poor man cried, and the Lord heard him
    And saved him out of all his troubles.
    7 The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him,
    And rescues them.
    8 O taste and see that the Lord is good;
    How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!
    9 O fear the Lord, you His saints;
    For to those who fear Him there is no want.
    10 The young lions do lack and suffer hunger;
    But they who seek the Lord shall not be in want of any good thing.
    11 Come, you children, listen to me;
    I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
    12 Who is the man who desires life
    And loves length of days that he may see good?
    13 Keep your tongue from evil
    And your lips from speaking deceit.
    14 Depart from evil and do good;
    Seek peace and pursue it.
    15 The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous
    And His ears are open to their cry.
    16 The face of the Lord is against evildoers,
    To cut off the memory of them from the earth.
    17 The righteous cry, and the Lord hears
    And delivers them out of all their troubles.
    18 The Lord is near to the brokenhearted
    And saves those who are [d]crushed in spirit.
    19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
    But the Lord delivers him out of them all.
    20 He keeps all his bones,
    Not one of them is broken.
    21 Evil shall slay the wicked,
    And those who hate the righteous will be [e]condemned.
    22 The Lord redeems the soul of His servants,
    And none of those who take refuge in Him will be [f]condemned.

Blessed rest and peace be with you all, ….. always

🌹

13. Missing Andrew says:

14. wondering999 says:

NYC news — weird.

“Police said the victim, a 24-year-old Hispanic man, got into a verbal dispute with a man on a No. 4 train as it was approaching the station. The man, who police said was wearing a red “Make America Great Again” hat, made several derogatory statements about the victim’s ethnicity during the dispute.

“The man then followed the victim off the train onto the platform, punched his head several times and pushed him onto the track bed before fleeing to a Brooklyn bound L train, the NYPD said.”