Earlier today President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump were invited to the Emperor’s residence in center of Tokyo.  Upon arrival the president and first lady were greeted by Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Residence.

The U.S. President and First Lady arrived in their armored limo and pulled into the covered driveway in front of the entrance. The Japanese emperor and the empress were already in place, standing in front of open glass doors as the president and FLOTUS stepped out of the limo.

The emperor took a couple steps toward Trump, and stepped down a low rise at the entrance greeting President Trump in Japanese.  An interpreter stepped forward to translate, saying, very happy to be able to welcome you.

The emperor then motioned for Trump to enter the residence. Trump paused briefly to look at the press cameras and the four walked inside, trailed by two interpreters.

They were scheduled to be in the residence for about 30 minutes for what the White House described as a state call.  The emperors residence is inside the expensive, wooded Imperial Palace grounds in the center of Tokyo. Access to the emperors residence is tightly controlled and very few Japanese citizens have ever been allowed inside. (pool report LA Times)

Motorcade departed Emperor’s residence at 11:40 am.  After short drive thru city we arrived at the government palace where Potus and Flotus joined PM Abe and Mrs Abe in a lavish welcome ceremony and review of troops. Servers red carpets were laid out and the group stood at attention for the two national anthems before Abe led Trump to review the troops.

Then they greeted the US and Japan delegations. US side included Kushner, Tillerson, Dina Powell, McMaster, Haggerty and Matt Pottinger.

Then the leaders were escorted to the back of the building for lunch in a dining room overlooking a koi pond. The leaders chatted while waking along a path covered in pebbles and then Abe showed Trump some items incl food for the fish and small wooden boxes, they entered the building and aides opened a glass screen door and a Japanese aide clapped loudly above the pond perhaps to get the attention of the fish.

The two leaders then leaned out and began throwing spoonfuls of the food into the water, before eventually turning over the bowls and dumping the rest out.  (Pool – Washington Post)

11:05am (local) / 9:05pm (U.S. eastern) THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY participate in a welcoming ceremony and state call with Their Majesties Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan – Imperial Residence, Tokyo, Japan

11:45am / 9:45pm THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY participate in the honor guard ceremony – Akasaka Palace, Tokyo, Japan

12:00pm / 10:00pm THE PRESIDENT participates in a working lunch with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan – Akasaka Palace, Tokyo, Japan

12:45pm / 10:45pm THE PRESIDENT participates in an official photo with Prime Minister Abe – Akasaka Palace, Tokyo, Japan

1:00pm / 11:00pm THE PRESIDENT participates in an expanded bilateral meeting with Prime Minister Abe – Akasaka Palace, Tokyo, Japan

1:55pm / 11:55pm THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY participate in a meeting with families of North Korean abductees – Akasaka Palace, Tokyo, Japan

2:30pm / 12:30am THE PRESIDENT participates in a joint press conference with Prime Minister Abe – Akasaka Palace, Tokyo, Japan

7:15pm / 5:15am THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY attend a state banquet – Akasaka Palace, Tokyo, Japan

While POTUS is conducting official diplomatic business, First Lady Melania and Mrs. Akie Abe visit elementary school kids, and enjoy music.  MUST WATCH:

This entry was posted in Melania Trump, POTUS November '17 Asia Trip, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

146 Responses to President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump Meet Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko…

1. RedBallExpress says:

Trump boycotted the NFL just like me!

• Raven says:

It is striking to see the American and Japanese flags being held at the same height in one of the photos above. Isn’t the hosting country supposed to hold their flag higher — for obvious reasons? Does Japan do that for every country? Or may that be a very high honor given to our country by the Japanese?

Sweet to see, although I always prefer to see Old Glory high above all the rest.

• I know what you mean about the flags Raven.

My son and his family have lived in Japan for five years now.

It was jarring at first to me when I visited, to just see both the American and the Japanese flag flying side by side.

I am a child of an WWII vet and it was very hard for me to let those old feelings go.

But now I am so glad that Japan is on our side.

It is an amazing, beautiful country whose people really really love America and her citizens.

• chbailey says:

Pass the wasabi.

2. LBB says:

Following their travels always makes me smile. Melania and children is such a joy to watch.
    Much success potential on this trip.

• A commanding figure like President Trump looks even more commanding with the tall and confident Melania by his side. They are the ultimate power couple.

• Justah says:

I have a good friend who often traveled to Japan – he is 6’5″ and he said people stared at him wherever he went in Japan. They are so short and very unused to seeing such tall people.

• The Raven says:

I visited Tokyo, on business, ten years ago. I’m 6’4″ an felt like a giant but the people were so warm and everyone wanted to bounce their English off of me…much to my horror. Lol
          I’d go back in a heartbeat, if I could.

• The Jimmy Jack says:

Me too. I always fret for their safety like an old ninny but am thrilled at every second of the trips.

3. mcclainra says:

Goosebumps watching, and hearing, these beautiful children singing to our fabulous first lady. Happy days are here again!! What a welcome change, and how lucky are we to have such a POTUS and FLOTUS!

• piper567 says:

I can’t help but wonder how the children, and even the adults, see Melania…She towers above them.
      I think she’s 5’11”, and is she wearing heels?
      Especially towards the end of this clip, she is surrounded by children who come up to her waist.
      What a great video!!
      Thanks sundance!

• The Jimmy Jack says:

As a tall (also 5’11) white blue eyed woman in Japan I found the kids fascinated by it. Many adults too. Often had people ask to take photos with me. 😂🤣

Riding on the crowded trains was awkward as you can well imagine where people’s heads often were level with.

• Same here Jimmy Jack.

I am not terribly tall, only 5’7″, green eyed brunette.

But again in Japan I am taller than a lot of the men and I am way taller than all of the women.

Sadly no one wants a picture with me.

I did fine it interesting that they make all of their tourist type of clothing to fit the bigger Americans.

And my husband is American big.

• TONYA PARNELL says:

AMEN

4. wheatietoo says:

No bowing from our President…unlike the previous occupier-in-chief.

5. ZurichMike says:

Geopolitics. 6-nation solution. Whatever. I am so completely distracted by Melania Trump, which can best be described by the word “va-VOOM!”

6. alliwantissometruth says:

In a hushed voice…

Mr. President, act like you don’t know what you’re doing & make a deal with them. Tell them since their population numbers are falling & they need workers, we’ll send them 60 million workers for say, some sushi & some kimono’s

Then send them the 50 million illegal aliens & the 10 million refugees in the USA

Naw, just kidding. Just because our politicians are so treasonous & stupid doesn’t mean we should destroy a people who take their sovereignty seriously

7. Sayit2016 says:

That dress Melania is wearing is stunning and those shoes sheer perfection ! She is so tall and elegant !

8. Bendix says:

What’s with all the dark blue?

9. chojun says:

I wonder what kind of bow, if any, with which the Japanese Emperor greeted Mr. Trump. An _eshaku_ bow (around 15 degrees) would be given by the Emperor if he wished to greet Trump as an equal. I’m not sure if the Emperor is slightly hunched over from age or if he is offering a very respectful and polite eshaku bow. I think the latter as he is supposedly a kind and gracious man.

By contrast, “Mr.” Obama is giving a deep _saikeirei_ bow which carries dual meaning of either profound respect or REGRET. But on top of that, Obama’s clasp in the handshake creates an awkward situation and makes him look like a buffoon as hands are expected to remain at the side for most bows. The Emperor clearly did not expect such a bow from Obama by extending his hand for a handshake.

10. A2 says:

I am reposting:
    I did not want to post because of those horrible murders in Texas. The President’s speech at the US Japan Embassy was blocked out internationally. I do not know why, I was watching Japanese TV at the time.

He made his position clear to the small group of American and Japanese businessmen at the Embassy. Very fair, but insisting Japan needs to do more for fair and reciprocal trade. The Japanese press have been very fair, saying that the most important thing is the strong alliance. PM Abe even restated this. They also, without bias, have noted the difference in trade positions. Japan is in favour of TPP and that the US wants bi-lats.

The visit to the Emperor and Empress of Japan was very cordial. First Lady Melania was elegantly and simpliciticaly dressed and very formal in her behavior. At the end of the meeting the Empress kissed her, European style on both cheeks, a recognition of respect and warmth.

(The Japanese press was wondering whether Pres Trump would bow (like that POS Obama) , but he and his lady shook hands. All very good)

The Honour ceremony was formal and fitting. The President and First Lady put their hands over their hearts at the National Anthem.

Several other notable points:

Japanese Defense Minister Onodara will go to Hawaii to meet Admiral Harris (Pac-Com Commander) to look at the Aegis land based defensive missile system i January.

South Korea, Pres Trump’s next stop is a State visit and they announced yesterday they are putting sanctions on any banks and businesses that have ties to NK. This is the first time they have done so, independently of the UN.They are a bit miffed he will only stay there a short 24 hours (according to the press) before he goes to China.

The first Lady will attend the state visits (Japan, SK and China) but will return to the US. The meetings in Vietnam and the Philippines are all business and security meetings.

The Guardian has topped themselves with headlines screaming over their Paradise papers investigations. Obviously as yet, focusing on the Trump Administration’s personnel. It is all sound and fury signifying nothing. If you read their ‘exposé’ it is all things known and previously documented. I suppose they needed to justify the time and effort in finding nothing new. Ignore.

11. kinthenorthwest says:

So beautiful–Heart warming…
    Brings a tear to my eye–many a tear actually…
    Gives me hope that my grand kids, great grand kids and all future generations will have an awesome America, an America as America was intended.

12. yakmaster2 says:

I love how natural Melania is around children. Clearly, they are precious to her and children intuitively feel it. Just look at their excitement and how these children are drawn to her!! ❤

13. USA loves Melania says:

Breaking:
    A newly released poll shows President Trump’s approval rating among Japanese koi fish has skyrocketed to 100%.

14. snailmailtrucker says:

Beautiful !

15. bessie2003 says:

That second video of the First Lady and Mrs. Abe with the children was so beautiful! Thanks for finding and sharing this, perfect balm for such a heartbreaking day.

• Sayit2016 says:

I agree… I so needed to see something beautiful and uplifting after today….I needed to be reminded that there are beautiful things in this world…It always shocks me that no matter horrific an event is– the world does not stop for one minute.

• WVPatriot says:

Sayit2016:

When I was a high school sophomore a friend’s grandmother died. While standing, with the family, in the cemetery beside the grave I became aware of the muted sounds of distant vehicular traffic, birds chirping in nearby trees while feeling the warmth of the sun upon my face. I also thought that the world would “stop” — even for a nanosecond — for the death of a loved one. I will never forget how I felt that day.

16. treehouseron says:

I wonder what message the Japanese got from President Trump dumping the entire bowl of food for the fish…. that’s fascinating.

No time for trivial things? Extreme generosity? He feeds fish like he plays golf! ALL THE WAY LIVE!

17. sunnydaze says:

Dang. That was too cute!!!

Between the palm touching and the Peace Signs (including the First Lady!) and the kids just swarming her…..!

• The Boss says:

Toward the end of the video, notice how the female secret service agent on the right of the screen cracks a little smile once or twice. It’s nice to see that someone as well-trained and deadly serious as she can enjoy the moment and show some femininity.

18. Sayit2016 says:

It is amazing to see the respect that Emperor Akihito has for our President and the positive press from Japanese newspapers, given the backdrop of the attack at Pearl Harbor. It is a true testament that things can change for the better if there is a will to do so.

19. A2 says:

Another note. Security in Tokyo is very strict for President Trump’s visit. PM Abe made this priority before his visit. The way to to Palace was cleared of the usual tourists thronging their way to the Palace.

It was reported in the Japanese Press that bomb threats were made on transportation links from cities outside of Tokyo. Major disruption to transportation. All were fake. However, the Japanese made sure of stopping these threats.

20. H.R. says:

Melania is AMAZING! ♥️👍♥️

Mrs. Abe is no slouch, either. Like Melania, she is very comfortable being herself. She glows and it shows. 👍👍

21. Keln says:

Getting into the Imperial Palace is a pretty big deal. That whole compound is absolutely gorgeous. Once a year, on the Emperor’s birthday, they allow the public and tourists to enter into the inner Imperial Gardens. I got to do that one year, and see the Emperor greet the masses out in front and invite everyone in. It was pretty surreal. Even then I thought “what I wouldn’t give to see inside the actual palace”.

I still cringe over that ridiculous deep bow that Obama gave the Emperor. A slight nod of the head is all that is required from a head of state, especially the President of the United States. Gotta be careful in those meetings, as most Japanese people consider the Emperor to be their spiritual leader (literally a divine leader descended from a Shinto god and goddess) and the response to any perceived slight would be huge. President Trump looked respectful, but strong. The perfect optics.

Fun fact: the Japanese Imperial family (Yamato Dynasty) is the oldest continuous royal line on Earth, dating back to at least 500 BC. The current emperor is considered to be the 125th Emperor of Japan. Pretty amazing for a single family to hold onto that for over 2500 years, but the Imperial family has always been off limits in struggles for power within Japan and they lost any real power in internal politics over a thousand years ago.

The Emperor is more like a Pope than an actual leader at this point. Shinto is one of the oldest surviving religions on Earth, as old as Japan itself.

• JEM says:

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• Angry Dumbo says:

Such a great comment, Keln. I love to learn history and Japan is an excellent subject. The Imperial Palace and grounds are unbelievably gorgeous. I can totally understand a leader of such a long and successful line being considered a deity.

22. trumpsbamagirl says:

I love the look on the interpreter’s face as they meet the emperor! He looks quite pleased with our First Lady!

23. MfM says:

The bowing and shaking hands looks weird and awkward. However if you look at the three school officials greeting Melania they all bowed while shaking hands with her. They bowed greetings to Mrs. Abe.

So while the bowing and shaking hands by Obama was awkward, it was the bowing that was inappropriate.

24. Bob Thoms says:

Love, love, love our first lady.

25. wodiej says:

I almost forgot how ashamed and upset I was about the obamas being in the White House until Trump became President and Melania 1st lady. Those were some dark years for many people. Thank you God.

26. Kristin says:

Dignity and respect for our Allies. An acknowledged greeting to the Japanese dignitaries all and a spring in his step going into the building. That’s our President Trump. Gracious FLOTUS by his side.
    Proud.

27. Landslide says:

Those children! Such excellent behavior. And singing in harmony! I wonder how long they had to practice to perform in such an excellent way?! Shall we put Japan on our travel list along with Poland?!!

• Somewhere in Dixie says:

I have a better idea Landslide. Let put Japan in charge of our public schools.

• The Jimmy Jack says:

I would. It’s safe in general, terror free, they love Americans, it’s spotlessly clean and incredibly rich in culture. It’s one of my favorite places I’ve been to and I hope to go back someday.

• Japan is a lovely country, everything Jimmy Jack says in her post above.

My son loves living there with his family because he and his wife feel that the children are so safe.

In Japan children are cherished and protected.

28. quintrillion says:

The enthusiasm and spirit of genuine love the children showed was overwhelming joy.
    Can we have this instilled here in USA please. Melania ever so graceful and remarkable.
    Love, honor and respect need restoration in the hearts of Americans for the peace and joy of life.

• Pres Trump and the Deplorables are working on it quintrillion.

We have decades of traitorous acts against our country by our former elected officials to overcome.

But we will get there eventually.

29. OMG, that video with the kids is so adorable…wonder what the song was.

30. LULU says:

A goddess at the State Dinner:

31. The Jimmy Jack says:

How sweet are those precious children? She clearly loves and understands kids.

Did anyone else notice the little boy in the face mask who kept sneaking waves in? He managed to push through to get his hand shook too. Just darling.

32. sunnydaze says:

Here’s what really happened at the koi pond. Abe dumps his bowl, then Trump follows suit. Of course, now all the Lyiing MSM have piled on with the lie. Par 4 the course:

33. Miss America says:

The optics of this tour are incredible!

First PDJ Trump honors the fallen at the USS Arizona, and then receives such a gracious welcome, with enormous honors, in Japan.

To all those critics who say PDJT is lowering our presence in the world, this visit shows that nothing is further from the truth.

34. Miss America says:

It’s very interesting that the Japanese school has basketball goals in the gym!

35. “and then Melania and I visited a beautiful place and met two beautiful people, the Emperor and Empress, and let me tell you, there was a lot of love in that room…”

The world is your oyster President Trump.

MAGA!!!

36. Minnie says:

First Lady exudes such charm, dignity and grace, my heart overflows ❤️

God bless First Lady Trump, the epitome of elegance.

A fine ambassador of our beautiful America 🇺🇸🙏🇺🇸

37. PowerCord says:

If subtleties are key and formality a must, my meek recommendation is that when he does troop reviews and feeds koi, his jacket should be buttoned.

• brh82 says:

It seems odd that his jacket is open all the time in this visit. Maybe a kevlar vest makes it look tight and awkward for his jacket to be buttoned?

38. ikey94 says:

Love the knowledge so freely shared here by all. Especially SD.

39. ikey94 says:

Words fail me in describing how wonderful it is to not be ashamed of our President for the first time since the Gipper.

40. ikey94 says:

Melania is amazingly elegant and breath taking.