A Warning To Alabama GOP, Breitbart, Steve Bannon, S. Gorka, and Crew…

Stop me when you see the parallels:

The time was November and December 2009, right about this time of year in the larger political calendar of things…. One party was completely locked out from influence in Washington DC, as the opposing party held the White House, and majorities in both houses of congress…

The 2009 political opposition groups didn’t like what was happening.  There was very large and significant legislation being debated.  Frustrated common sense citizens stopped looking to ineffective congressional representatives to stop the daily usurpation.

Loosely connected but engaged grassroots political types were looking for routes to stop the White House and congress.

There was also a Senate seat up for grabs, and a necessary special election.  The former seat-holder was considered a stalwart by the party in power; and the seat was considered a “gimme” by the state party apparatus.  No-one was contemplating the possibility of the majority party in power ever losing that seat….. EVER.

The candidate appointed to hold the seat for the party in power was arrogant, condescending, and generally didn’t feel they needed to work for the seat.  After all, the seat was held by one party for decades and generally no-one could fathom losing it.

The election outcome was considered so much a forgone conclusion no-one was even polling the state throughout November or December 2009.   It was also because of that herd mindset the next-in-line candidate just spent time on the cocktail circuit meeting with donors, taking their requests and then a few trips to DC for parties, drape-measuring, and generally snobbing around with the upper-minded ‘betters’.

About a month prior to the actual voting the election outcome was so widely anticipated to be a lopsided victory for the party in power the candidate actually took three weeks off, and jetted away to the caribbean for a Christmas/New Year holiday vacation.

However, under the radar, and entirely missed by everyone -including media- small bands of grassroots political peeps discovered the other parties strength was also their weakness.  There was an invisible path to victory, and, more importantly, a hard working candidate who had quietly put in a stunning amount of groundwork.

Around the same time the overly confident political types were obliviously comparing Christmas decor…. tens, then dozens, then hundreds, eventually thousands of very focused volunteers began to assemble when everyone else was busy with the holiday and not paying attention.

Many, including many I got to know personally, gave up their 2009 holidays to drive half-way across the country and help the quiet assembly.  [“Meet at the Old Mill, we ride at midnight”…]

By the time the party in power woke up from their New Years celebrations and looked to the formality of the upcoming election/coronation, well, it was too late.

The rebel alliance had positioned in every town, village, street corner, venue and simultaneously began overwhelming a completely unprepared political apparatus by drawing attention to their goal: Take the seat from the hands of power, and give it back to the people….

Our strategic advantage was their collective arrogance.

Because they fully expected to win the election, they didn’t even have signs, bumper stickers, advertising contracts, or operational infrastructure or volunteers planned for a campaign.  They were completely caught off-guard.

We had thousands of people with home-made signs in the streets daily.  The momentum was on our side and the candidate messaging so focused that by the time the DC apparatus woke up mid-January it was far too late.   The election day was January 19th 2010.

Yes, in Dec. 2009/Jan 2010 the grassroots movement in Massachusetts to elect Scott Brown caught the Democrats completely off-guard.  Martha Coakley lost, Scott Brown won, the political world was stunned; and yes, Democrats lost the Kennedy seat.

Why does this matter now?

Alabama Republicans, and the group planning to help Roy Moore win the Alabama primary, would be wise to pay attention to that historic reminder because republican candidate Roy Moore is acting just like democrat candidate Martha Coakley in November and December 2009.

• One party in power.
  • A special election in a deeply one-sided state everyone takes for granted.
  • A seat formerly held by a stalwart of the party in power. (Kennedy / Sessions)
  • A disgruntled opposition party whose grassroots strategy is under the radar.
  • No-one in the media paying attention. (A strategy that benefits from stealth)
  • A generally ‘unlikable candidate‘, who spent more time in DC than campaigning in the state where it mattered.  (see below)

See the parallels?

2017: No Democrat can ever win a senate seat in Alabama they say….

2009: No Republican can ever win a senate seat in Massachusetts they said…

Any questions?

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Decepticons, Election 2017, History, media bias, President Trump, Special Elections, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

344 Responses to A Warning To Alabama GOP, Breitbart, Steve Bannon, S. Gorka, and Crew…

1. Dogstar_K9 says:

Moore = Cruz CABAL, Cruz Faction
    Lee, Cuccinelli, Paul, Bannon
    They will attempt to suffocate President Trump’s MAGA agenda.
    Mark my words, Moore is diametrically opposed to President Trump.
    Call me a troll? I don’t give a damn.
    A Moore victory would be a death knell to MAGA.
    I don’t care if Palin endorsed him.
    I don’t care if Farage endorsed him.
    Strange wasn’t the guy at the Redskin’s game with his feet up and a cocktail.
    Don’t let your theology blind you.

• budsblog868 says:

There is not a Democrat that I could support over a Republican. Some Republicans are shitty, but ALL Democrats are shitty.

• alecj says:

youre not a troll youre just nuts.

Oh, and what agenda would that be? There is no MAGA agenda. Its all talk. 99.9% of the federal govt is still Obama holdovers…..no one is being removed, nothing has changed except the rhetoric.

Accusing people of being blinded by their “theology” is funny. What do you call your religious fervor for a meaningless phrase like MAGA.

There is no MAGA agenda.

Being paranoid about Roy Moore (Even if he wins…a single Senator who is far more in agreement with Trump than 45-48 of the 52 GOPers) somehow “suffocating” it, is the kind of nuts i usually see on Mother Jones, and Think Progress.

Get a grip.

• Dogstar_K9 says:

I stand by my statement.
        Suffocating like an infant in the crib by a crazed nanny.

• Dogstar_K9 says:

If you don’t think there isn’t a MAGA agenda, you haven’t been paying attention.

• thedoc00 says:

You need to compare Trump’s agenda and promises to the constitution of the US. Trump was counting on the Republican Party actually following through on their promised support and Rhetoric of the past 5 years. Trump has done everything he can legally do, to keep his promises and time for the Republican Party to follow through on their promises, rhetoric and party charter. So, Dogstar_K9 has a valid point.

• leebelieu says:

Nothing but Twitter and talk? TPP, Paris Accord, renegotiation of NAFTA, deregulation, tariffs on Canada for Nafta violations, prototypes of wall being built, illegal border crossings way down, ICE arrests up, ISIS loses Iraq, loses Raqqa, Palestinian money revoked, Iran deal decertified, Gorsuch, reinvestment of major firms in US manufacturing/jobs, Keystone back on the table…all this without the spineless GOPe for most the way. Yeah all Twitter and talk….

• jogreggre says:

LeeBelieu, the system won’t allow me to “like” your comment, but I do, 1000 times. Your list of President Trump’s accomplishments is excellent. May I add, EPA ending the “sue and settle” travesty, DOJ ending the slush fund which was used to funnel money to political (i.e. supporters of hard left causes) groups, and the nomination of multiple conservative judges to stop the flow of progressive judges legislating from the bench. And so much more. While the media either suppresses President Trump’s many successes or frames them to read like failures, he is daily doing everything in his power to save this great country. Donald Trump’s task is Herculean. and he needs our unyielding support to help him.
          MAGA

• louche9 says:

“Let me know about the MAGA agenda when they pass DACA and Trump signs it….meanwhile they just increased the number of refugees and work visas.

I want Trump to do the things he promised in the campaign but so far he is nothing but Twitter and talk.”

alecj, Would you have been particularly bothered by a President Cruz traveling to the Mexican border to personally welcome illegal immigrants? Were you bothered by his soccer balls and teddy bears stunt with Glen Beck, as candidate Cruz? I’m curious, because you do seem to care, desperately, that President Trump hasn’t solved the illegal immigrant crisis in nine months, with absolutely no help.

• farmhand1927 says:

Reality:

There’s two candidates in the race—Moore and the other guy, a Democrat, dyed in the wool anti-Trump, anti-MAGA, anti-America First..

There’s two choices on the ballot. The primary is over. One Republican is left standing.

Support Moore or roll dice on the Democrat.

Support one, sow discontent and suspicion and bash the other .

Easy to know where anyone stands. Simple as that.

• ^^This. I don’t like choosing between losing because of neglect and losing because of infighting. Moore is not a perfect vessel for MAGA, but he’s a damned sight better than a socialist Democrat. You have to fight with the army you have or get out of the way.

• kokopuf says:

I sounded the warning about Moore early in the primaries, unfortunately, not enough of Alabama agreed with me. Now, Moore has very few ads, few signs while Doug Jones is campaigning hard. I don’t expect an upset yet. Stay tuned.

• sejmon says:

…..Sorry Dogstar….but you are certified troll. You seen to me not much different than Hussein O/HRC troll.. Stop this crap about Gorka,Bannon ,Moore.You certainly are not -street fighter for MAGA !!!!!

• Dogstar_K9 says:

I stand by my statements.
        All of them.
        Unfortunately, it was only you, a sardine, who had referred to me as a troll. Those of greater stature here recognize my support for the Constitution and this President. Cruz, Lee, Cuccinelli, Bannon and the now unmasked Gorka have some other play in mind. Again, a faction to play against the President and his agenda.

• RKflorida says:

I agree in part with you. I just don’t believe Moore will be as bad as you say. I know he won’t be as good as the star struck fans of his think he will be.
      I also don’t understand why you are being attacked for nothing more than a thoughtful opinion expressed clearly. It doesn’t seem like the normal response on this blog.

• He was doing fine until he trolled with the “theology” snark.

• Dogstar_K9 says:

The theology point, wasn’t intended to be a troll. It was a valid point, considering many people will vote for an individual because of religious affiliation. There’s also the electioneering from the pulpit.
          I didn’t tell anybody NOT to vote for Moore because he’s a Christian. I didn’t tell anybody NOT to vote for him for any reason. I didn’t tell anyone TO vote for the Democrat, that’s absurd.
          What I said, CLEARLY, we don’t know where Judge Moore stands on really anything except for the Ten Commandments. I can infer from what others have said, Moore isn’t doing the leg work necessary to earn, EARN, every vote he can. Not to take the seat for granted because “Alabama won’t send a Democrat to Washington.”
          Hope that has been cleared up.

• Jeanne T. says:

“Moore = Cruz CABAL, Cruz Faction”

I don’t think so.

2. alecj says:

Moore is a popular statewide figure who has been campaigning in Alabama for months. He just won a grueling primary against the establishment who out spent him 10 to 1.

He has nothing in common with Coakley, a party puppet who wasnt qualified to be dog catcher.

Moore is a good man with some quirky views than i dont agree with all the time, but he has a grassroots army that will not be denied after what the Judge has been through in Alabama.

He will win.

• decisiontime16 says:

Many people, perhaps most are starving for law and order. Famished, they see Judge Moore as someone who.has stood up to the left and supported the ultimate law.

“After taking office, Moore installed a 5,280-pound granite block that featured Constitutional quotes and two large tablets with the 10 Commandments outside the state Judicial Building.

The move prompted a lawsuit from the ACLU and the Southern Poverty Law Center, among other groups, which Moore dismissed saying the 10 Commandments were the “moral foundation of U.S. law” and therefore appropriate in a judicial setting.

Court rulings later ordered Moore to remove the monument, though he remained defiant.

Alabama’s Supreme Court voted to overrule Moore’s decision to disobey the court order and a complaint against him was filed with the Alabama Court of Judiciary.

The COJ issued a unanimous ruling that Moore had violated the Canons of Judicial Ethics by defying the ruling and ordered the Chief Justice be removed from office in November 2003. The decision was upheld through several appeals.”

3. trapper says:

So through the night rode Paul Revere;
    And so through the night went his cry of alarm
    To every Middlesex village and farm,—
    A cry of defiance, and not of fear,
    A voice in the darkness, a knock at the door,
    And a word that shall echo for evermore!
    For, borne on the night-wind of the Past,
    Through all our history, to the last,
    In the hour of darkness and peril and need,
    The people will waken and listen to hear
    The hurrying hoof-beats of that steed,
    And the midnight message of Paul Revere.
    – HWL

4. JRD says:

I have fought side by side with you for years. I have been here since you started this site.
    I have applauded you for all of the work you have done on this site and I have respect for the tireless dedication you have to bring out the truth. You have been indefatigable in your quest.

However, I don’t understand your contempt for Bannon and Gorka.

So, if Bannon and Gorka go away just how does the Uni-Party not continue to succeed.
    Why did you want Mitch McConnell’s candidate in Alabama? You were there during the Mississippi Mud. I fought in the trenches right alongside you.

Bannon and Gorka stepped up to the plate. They should be applauded. They are not in the White House any longer but they can still help. We all have different roles to play to help to win this war. The way I see it Bannon and Gorka made lemonade. The didn’t lie down and play dead. That’s a good thing.

Trump’s White House is loaded with Democrats and Bushies. They are Uni-Party but you don’t have a problem with them. I do but, I still support Trump.
    Sorry, and sincerely with all due respect, I just don’t get it. No malice intended.

We are all fighting for the same MAGA agenda.

I may not agree with Trump on everything but I didn’t expect to.

• pawatcher says:

Your points are very valid: I agree unanimously.

• ladypenquin says:

The problem is making “perfect the enemy of good” – I’ve written about the need to understand exactly who the Trump voters are, and understanding they’re not made up of only the old-time GOP base. They’re much bigger than that, and the GOP tent CAN be this big – if people will be willing to accept their compatriots fighting alongside them. #MAGA cannot afford to alienate people who are willing allies. If it doesn’t turn out the way we think, okay, then we regroup, adjust and keep going. But the only “wahr” we should be concerned about is beating the Democrats and the GOP-E Uniparty. I think we can do this.

An activist friend, who I quote at the end of the article, states:
        “I wouldn’t worry about what Bannon is up to, I’d worry about what Karl Rove is up to.” #MAGA

• ladypenquin says:

Thank you, Tonawanda. I get concerned when we get too far afield and lose sight of the prize. Desperate times call for desperate measures. If I was in Alabama, and Strange was in the race against the Dem, I’d vote Strange, no matter how I felt about McConnell.

Adhering too strongly because it isn’t exactly right or the way we think it ought to be, makes us stumble over our feet. It does disturb me when people here are vitriolic – as my daughter often says – “that’s not helpful.” We can be reasonable, think calmly about the endgame, and get there.

Setbacks, of course, but nothing set us back as bad as the election of Barack Obama (along with the “base” staying home in 2006) – sometimes we’re our worse enemy. 🙂

• iSapiens says:

1> Roy Moore said he wants Repeal but NO Replace for Obamacare. Do you think there is a lot of support for Repeal and NO Replace? He might turn into a R. Paul ‘principled’ but obstructive Senator. That could mean Obamacare will stay, with Moore in the Senate (despite his rhetoric)
      2> Gorka posting a picture of him watching Football (for the first time!) at the beset of falling NFL credibility is a signal if nothing else. It is not coincidental, you should know that. I like Gorka a lot, but this is how he loses his clout, with pictures like this.
      3> Bannon wants all Senators replaced except… Lyin’ Ted! That’s how Bannon loses his clout. Cruz borrowed from K Street for his elections and is in their pockets. Cruz is GOPe.
      4> Don’t be surprised for Bannon to support Lyin’ Ted for 2020 President. It will be a Trump – Cuban – Cruz (and a few splitters) Primary. Cruz cannot win the Presidency, but with a Cuban Super-Splitter Bannon might be planning for Cruz’s Primary Win. Remember: Bannon was a Cruz Guy before he turned to Trump and is attempting to hijack his MAGA Movement.
      5> Breitbart is doing a good job at bashing Trump and supporting inflexible and ‘principled’ candidates (at least with Moore) and views (see ‘he didn’t move embassy to Jarusalem yet! Where is the Wall? etc). I hope I’m wrong, but as seen above, Moore is spending his time in DC (buying influence) instead of in his state continuing his fight. Instead of staying focused.

• Deb says:

Sundance isn’t showing contempt. Gorka is.

• Bob Thoms says:

I don’t think Sundance has “contempt” for Bannon or Gorka…..

That said, too many here show contempt for Bannon. Unwarranted IMO.

• ladypenquin says:

I quit Breitbart last year. Considered them so schizophrenic – they were just intolerable to read, and the antagonism in the comments were not worth the emotional stress. That said, if Bannon, Gorka, et al can do anything that helps further President Trump’s agenda, I’ll be supportive. When I’ve heard Dr. Gorka on TV he appears rational, reasoned and a great POTUS supporter.

Anyway, it does bother me that we spend time fighting “each other” than fighting the real enemy – the Left.

I’ll further admit, I won’t be a Cruz “hater” as seen here in the comments at times. Nothing to be gained by expending energy that way. Either he will be a help or a hindrance – it is time that will tell us that answer – which is an unknown right now.

• Bob Thoms says:

I quit reading Breitbart as well; I have noticed a shift lately. I am thinking Bannon is trying to reign in some of the off-the-rails rhetoric. Still not perfect, but better than it was six months ago.

• snarkybeach says:

I’m a regular over at BB, mostly because of the MAGA supporters in the comments section. BB drift left has been due to the Editor in Chief and his hires of former Hill/Politico writers IMHO.

• iSapiens says:

Bannon wants to achieve most (if not all) of Trump’s MAGA agenda. That is a good thing.

What he fails at is the way he wants to get there: leaks from WH, bashing Trump and his staff, supporting candidates that may be more hindrance than help…

Contempt is not unwarranted towards Bannon because Bannon is already showing contempt to Trump in many ways. Bannon is inflexible in his views and ways to achieve them, and that is what leads to long-term failure (though I hope for the best!). I trust in Trump and his comments he made over the last 30 years in re to Economy, China, etc.

• singingsoul says:

JRD
      “Trump needs fighters who will battle ferociously to get his agenda enacted. Bannon and Gorka have dedicated themselves to secure those fighters for Trump. Neither of them bash Trump, they only fight for the MAGA agenda to get passed.
      The RNC isn’t going to get those candidates for Trump. The gopE is still the party of Bush. Trump needs to remake the GOP in his image. Isn’t that what Bannon and Gorka are trying to do? Find candidates who will support Trump.”
      _____________________________________________
      My take on Bannon and Gorka and I do not say it lightly, I used to like them because Trump did . I embraced them because I thought they were for President to succeed.
      After they left the WH I realized something that both are in for Bannon and Gorka and for an ideology that might be Trump’s or not. I do not embrace AK Moore. Moore to me is to right wing to entrenched in his ideology .
      Why did Bannon support Moore and not POTUS choice..? Forget about McConnell this was about my President’s choice . He chose a person he can work with not another Cruz or Rand Paul and others.
      Gorka is boorish in your face kind of guy. I was stunt at his NFL stunt. These two Bannon and Gorka are riding on President’s coat tail . They have an agenda alright both were Cruz supporters still seem like. There is so much more I would like to say.
      BB has been bashing and diminishing Trump and has given fuel to the opposition Why..?
      They have an agenda and it is not my agenda my agenda is America first and to support POTUS.

• ladypenquin says:

Strange was tainted in several ways, and nothing he did indicated he was going to be anything but a reliable vote for McConnell. IMO, Strange was the friend of my enemy. It was ludicrous the meme of Strange supporting Trump – there haven’t been any useful votes for him to stand up and be counted, and there was a case where if only one senator had stood up and objected, the motion or whatever it was would have been stopped. He didn’t do it.

President Trump knows that the people will decide who they want – all politics are local, with some assistance along the way possible, but not absolute.

• Itsme says:

Trump was misinformed about Roy Moore and Strange was pushed upon him by the establishment. We here in Alabama know who Moore is and what he is and don’t need outsiders telling us who and how to vote. Roy Moore will be Alabama’s next Senator and a damn good one at that. The influence peddlers pushing Doug Jones are the real losers. Jones stance on abortion alone lost him the Al race.

• candofeminist says:

BB has been around for a long time. Longer than Trump has been in politics. Their focus has been on the culture wars. They have consistently been anti-globalist, anti-SJW, pro Bill of Rights in those culture wars. Being in the White House hampered their effectiveness as culture warriors. Bannon and Gorka were muzzled and had no bite (power). By leaving the White House they have been unleashed. Bannon is still monitoring promises made vs kept. That was ok with Trump in the W.H. and it is probably ok with him now.

• Benson II says:

From remarks I’ve heard from Bannon it’s clear he thinks being a reporter speaking his opinion but with no understanding of how things work or inside knowledge is helping Trump. Maybe he should read CTH instead of Breitbart. He needs to take off the Reporter hat and do the job he says he wants to do like finding the most capable people to replace incumbent Republcans so Trump can get on with the show.

Trump has kept every promise he could do on his own. Every one and more than anyone thought possible. If Bannon is as aware of this as those of us in public are he would save his Reporter BS and get on with supporting Trump. So what is Bannon, a run of the mill reporter criticizing Trump or a true advocate of and for the Trump agenda. He’s trying to have it both ways and I have little confidence it will be to our or Trump’s benefit.

• bon says:

Well said JRD, Well said.

• Benson II says:

I’m not a big fan of Bannon and Gorka because so far all we have is rhetoric and fan adoration for what hasn’t happened. Bannon is a reporter and I’ve seen no proof of his expertise in the election process.

The screaming headline at Breitbart declaring Bannon is the Republican party now is not true no matter how many times they say it is. I didn’t vote for Bannon and neither was he elected to run the party. If he delivers for Trump I’ll be the first to give him some deserved praise. Until then I’m praying fervently the grass roots efforts of pro-Trump groups will be the determining factor in these primaries and the best I can hope for now is Bannon’s efforts won’t be harmful.

• sundance says:

…”However, I don’t understand your contempt for Bannon and Gorka”…

If they didn’t want loggerheads in DC, what would they be doing differently?

Who does loggerheads benefit?

Look behind Bannon and Gorka for the answer to your question(s).

• xymbaline says:

Count me in … You’ve nailed it right down the line.

• Skinner says:

I agree with you. Some of sundance’s posts leave me scratching my head. This was another one. I don’t get it.

5. Bob Thoms says:

I hope Moore prevails; but i think his tenure in the Senate will be an embarrassment to the Trump agenda and Alabama.

6. indiamaria2020 says:

Thanks for that reminder Sundance. Big Luther Strange was call “swamp creature” because McConnell supported him. Well OUR President Donald Trump REALLY wanted him…..But the Bannon-bros painted Big Luther as “anti MAGA”, and many Trump “supporters” dutifully joined in throwing rotten tomatoes at this TRUMP friend.

Let’s hope Moore wins. He is a Cruz/Lee nut-job, but not a Commie like a Democrat. Luther was ALABAMA. Judge Moore is a de-facto part of that ” fightin’ words, lose every battle” Washington D.C. crowd. (Unlike Big Luther, who was just painted as such). Oh, well, we live and we learn, don’t we?

• Chelle says:

I live in Alabama. Strange got his position by covering for our dirty governor, Bentley. He participated in graft and corruption, long before Pres. Trump knew his name. Luther was anything BUT Alabama. Most people here knew him as the guy that signed his name on the inspections certs on the gas pumps, looking for reading material as you pump your gas. Not a popular state wide candidate with huge name recognition. He was an Alabama swamp creature covering for the governor as he banged his assistant behind his wife’s back. Disgusting.

I may not agree with Moore on everything, but he is honest and tries to do what he believes is the right thing, even when it is to his own detriment. He would not have been my first choice. Except in ultra-liberal areas (of which there are only 2 or 3) he has a popularity that has endured for all the years the liberals have tried to tear him down. People here are very stubborn, and they like him. I hope he isn’t intransigent as Rand can be at times. There are no guarantees about anyone.He promised he would work with our President.

Sorry if this comes off angry, it is frustrating to read some of the “stuff” that has been written lately by experts that haven’t even been here. Not saying that is you directly, but in general, the concern trolling and rewriting of history on how freakin awesome “Big Luther” is, is frustrating, to say the least. The man is a scumbag.

• borocast says:

^^^^^^ 100% ^^^^^^

1) Judge Moore is a man of principle and is loved in Alabama for being exactly that.

2) Luther Strange is not a Roy Moore. Not even close.

3) The South may be a bunch of Irish/Scot-Irish/Welsh people with a predominately neo-Celtic culture, but this ain’t Massachusetts.

7. Mike Pitzler says:

Press on, Sundance and fellow Treepers. This is difficult to sort out for some of us newbies. What Gorka did sends up a red flag. What Bannon did by supporting Moore while President Trump supported Strange is another red flag. Many of us have to just watch and wait.

8. Bull Durham says:

The reality is Moore was a candidate of one single issue. the Ten Commandments.
    He is a very marginal candidate hard to repackage toward a broader base than evangelical glee at his once upon a time hardline stance (However meritorious it was.)

Now he’s seen for what everyone of us saw compared to Big Luther. Moore is weak compared to the Dem candidate and will run only on one note, just like all “principled conservatives”.

Trump wanted Luther. Now we have to pray that Moore isn’t a total dud.

It was obvious from the getgo.

Ideology blinds all. Religious ideology is the most blinded.

Politics is about the real, not the ideal.

Alabama was ours to keep.

Pray that Moore can be saved.

• kokopuf says:

My like button isn’t working this morning but I agree with you!

• Itsme says:

According to the hildabeast being Christian is a criminal act. So the demonrats that ran Alabama for 145 years after reconstruction and done damage to this state that still haunts it to this day will never get a chance to lead this state again.

• candofeminist says:

Establishment Republicans spent millions trying to get Strange elected. They even had Corker snooker Trump into endorsing him. NADA. Now establishment Democrats are spending millions. Just like in Georgia. It is going to feel so good when all that “SWAMP” money accomplishes NADA.

9. Q&A says:

You may not like your Republican candidate, but the Democrat is a communist. The Democrat leadership will only allow those with total allegiance to their communist agenda to survive. Any moderate (Ha Ha) Democrat will be purged by the party. With a Democrat, Trump will never get support. With a Republican, he has good odds.

Sundance is right about not taking any victory for granted. Always vote.

• I couldn’t have said it better. If only Strange stayed away from McConnell’s money, he may have won the primary with Trump’s endorsement. But it was all over when he took the money. Nobody will trust your word if you’re on McConnell’s payroll. And there was only one other option, vote for Moore.

People don’t realize what a trainwreck that primary was. There were no clean choices. No 3rd option free of baggage and pro-MAGA. If Strange had won everyone would be complaining about McConnell.

Moore is what we got, as imperfect as he is, we have to get him across the finish line to keep the communists out. And if he becomes a PITA then we can do something about that when his term is up.

• ladypenquin says:

It’d be helpful if people understood that when it comes to keeping the Democrats out, and we’re talking about the radical Left movement Dems who are now running, we have to vote, GOP affiliated or MAGA – both are needed. President Trump won by appealing to both these groups. Otherwise the Dems defeat us. I don’t want a Northam in here in Virginia, McAuliffe was Hillary’s bagman, dirty, but he’s not the commie Northam is. So, yes, old establishment Gillespie gets my vote next week. Here is another way to understand what’s going on in Virginia:

As regards Alabama, (hubby’s family is there) while many consider Moore “imperfect” – he isn’t evil. Moore will have little power in the Senate, finishes out Sessions term, and then it’s up again.

Guerilla, you’ve got it right. The scale to be used, in current times of radical Democrats on the ticket, is GOP vs Commie.

• singingsoul says:

Q&A says:
      “The time for being choosy about Republican candidates is during the primary. The primary is a critically important race and the main reason you should be registered as Republican instead of Independent (in pre-vote registration states). Once you reach the general election, it’s a choice between a chance for Trump or communism.”
      ____________________________________________
      We have compromised specially the last election wanting to give POTUS republicans who would support him.
      Are they ? McCain, Portman, Paul Ryan, and many others. I know I struggled in OH with voting for Portman and I did it for Trump not for Portman.
      Others I am sure felt the same. How well has it worked out for POTUS that we reelected those traitors to the Trump agenda..?
      No, Bannon and his minion Gorka are out for their own and backstabbed POTUS.
      Alabama got deceived and jumped on the wrong horse.
      POTUS seems to have a knack to uncover the traitors . Some us see clearly others choose not to take blinders off.

• I’d rather have a 50/50 roll of the dice on Moore than a guaranteed loss for MAGA with the Dem. Please halp.

• Chelle says:

Omg, why can’t you people not familiar with Alabama politics listen to us?? Strange was a corrupt hack who only had Sessions position because he covered up and protected our dirty Governor, who had to resign for banging his “assistant”! As soon as Bentley gave him that position, all sorts of he legal problems just disappeared. He is not an honorable man. There is no telling what he would do in the senate, he is as corrupt as they make them.

• ladypenquin says:

Exactly. Virginia has elections next week. Gillespie is a weak – but NOT a bad man – still, he is GOP-E.
      In this state, if President Trump’s supporters don’t turn out to aid at the ballot box, we’ll get Northam, who believe it or not is far worse than Terry McAuliffe. McAuliffe was about money, but Northam is like a de Blasio, a true believer and rotten to the core.

We understand our politics here in Virginia. BTW, if it’s any consolation for Trump voters here in Virginia, Vogel and Adams running for the Lt. Governor and Attorney General respectively, are good people and Trump supporters.

10. NebraskaFilly says:

And where is Scott Brown now? Oh, yeah, ambassador to New Zealand! What did he actually accomplish in that seat? How long did he last? Pfftttt….

I am guessing Coakley lost mostly because of this controversial ad: “One week before the January special election, a controversy arose over a Coakley approved television ad. The ad referenced the conscientious objector amendment Brown had sponsored for inclusion in a 2005 proposed state measure on patients’ rights.[55] This amendment would have allowed individual healthcare workers and hospitals to refuse to provide emergency contraceptive care (the morning-after pill[56]) to rape victims if they objected due to a religious belief. After the amendment failed, Brown did vote for the main bill which, along with other patient rights, requires healthcare workers and hospitals to provide such care.[57] Coakley’s ad featured a male voice that said, “Brown even favors letting hospitals deny emergency contraception to rape victims,” over the ad’s graphic which had the words, “Deny care to rape victims.”[57] Brown’s daughter Ayla called the Coakley ad “completely inaccurate and misleading”, and stated that her father would never deny care to a rape victim. Brown criticized Coakley for running what he described as attack ads.[57″

“Brown ran for a full Senate term in 2012, but lost to Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren. He subsequently joined the board of directors of Kadant paper company, joined Fox News as a commentator, and joined Nixon Peabody where he provided legal services.” “Brown later reestablished residence in New Hampshire, and beginning in April 2014 campaigned for the United States Senate in the 2014 election. Brown won the Republican nomination by a significant margin, but was narrowly defeated in the race by incumbent Democrat Jeanne Shaheen in the general election.”

So, typical flash in the pan, eh?

11. Bendix says:

Something Rush Limbaugh spoke about not long ago ties in to this somewhat. He was talking about much of the political establishment failing to realize how many voters weren’t motivated by any partisan ideology, other than to “stop the Democrats”. So Republicans shouldn’t get complacent believing that they are the party of preference just the way they are.

Another reminder of how things were starting to change, way back then, was that Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts endorsed newcomer Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton for the Mass. primary, and Hillary won that primary.
    Yes, it is hard to see that event in the context of change, because it was so infinitesimal, but that’s how change is sometimes.

12. Tonawanda says:

Reliable and insightful CTH poster WrightorWrongAl warned about Moore a long time ago, including his failure to campaign.

Not campaigning because of hubris sounds exactly like what a narcissistic fool would do.

Moore is all we’ve got for MAGA, and if he messes this up there will be tons of anger going his way.

13. BebeTarget says:

Sundance, you make an excellent comparison BUT, you didn’t go far enough to illustrate the perils. We worked our tails off for Scott Brown and got him elected. It went downhill after that. Be careful what you wish for . . . . Sen. Brown succumbed to the Swamp. He trusted John Kerry and Barney Frank . .he voted the way they wanted him to vote (he believed they would reciprocate as they promised) . . . . Thanks to Scott’s cloture vote we got Dodd-Frank. After months of Swamp interaction it bewildered him that they never kept their word and do what they promised.
    He basked in his notoriety. His office team, nice though they were, knew NOTHING about the legislative process or what was going on.
    In a short time Brown began voting like a Democrat, proving the old adage here in MA “When the choice is between a Democrat and a Democrat, vote for the Democrat.” We should have remembered that, but hope springs eternal.
    With any luck, if the same thing happens in Alabama, maybe the Democrat will be a blue dog. But, I doubt it. Conservatives do not have that kind of luck.

• Benson II says:

The article was to point out what can be accomplished against all odds. It had nothing to do with Brown as a candidate, person or legislator.

• BebeTarget says:

Exactly, Benson . . . . . Sundance used the Brown example as did I to illustrate that ‘under the radar;’ candidates will pretty much always benefit the Dems. Alabama Republicans’ are doubly periled and I pray Judge Moore takes notice of Sundance’s warning.

14. TruckinMack says:

The Reagan years gave America a landslide of hope and optimism about our country and the future of Conservative politics. Then came the Bush/Clinton/Bush/Obama years and decades of Social Liberalism and the devastation it has wrought. If there is any note of caution that should be heeded it’s that whoever follows President Trump in the White House can destroy his legacy if they are not committed to Conservative policies.

15. At 65, I will never, ever vote for a Democrat again….nor will I ever again vote for a tax, tax increase, tax renewal, bond issue, etc. I’m done.

16. bayrat65 says:

The democratic party has gone off to Mars. No way to justify a vote for any Democrat. NEVER!

17. Paul Killinger says:

They’re fully awake and engaged, which is why their state legislature took action after the Mississippi US Senate seat debacle to prevent Mitch and the US Chamber from backdooring them there.

18. keith says:

Sundance, et al,

Trump ?supported? Strange???

A half hearted “he’s my guy” in a low key toss off way, not the Donald Trump type support that we have come to expect. That is the way of the Donald, he probably had a deal with sickly Mitch to support Strange in return for “x”.. The half hearted support in the face of a strongly favored Moore is akin to voting against something AFTER it has already passed. Pay closer attention

19. keith says:

In addition, Cruz (the JEB! Trojan horse) was a Webster candidate also, to reduce the influence of the IRS in Webster’s tax case. I believe Sundance posted that all here as well.

20. Sedanka says:

Sad to see that the Breitbots are still mesmerized by Lyin’ Ted Cruz and his “true conservative” nonsense.

21. Apfelcobbler says:

Sobering article. Loss of the AL seat is unthinkable – the symbolism of Sessions’s seat in the heart of MAGA country would extract a heavy price on MAGA momentum. Moore’s eccentric absolutist past will be savaged when “Resistance” and Madison Ave moneybags begin pouring into Jones’s office. That race will have no spending ceiling and no holes barred on dirty tricks.

Trump had experience in the trenches, worked nonstop, and took nothing for granted, while arrogant Hillary counted her eggs before they had hatched … If the culture war continues to heat up, that will be in his favor and Moore may squeak by, in spite of himself.

22. jmuniz1 says:

A George Soros funded Democrat are you kidding me. Cruz is garbage but Trump just bought him. His soon to be ex- wife is responsible for most of these trade deals that have shipped our Jobs overseas. However, like I have written before. Roy Moore is no Ted Cruz he is a Mans Man. The Bushes put Moore in jail in 2003 when Ted Cruz was working for them. I would never vote for a Soros Funded democrat. The reason Cruz is bieng helped by Bannon is because they have nobody to run him against that can beat him in Texas. So you make a Deal with Cruz and you get Mike Lee who Cruz owns. You elect a Marxist Democrat in Alabama good bye Alabama for a generation. You need to vote for Moore. Cruz has been silent lately its Rand that has been at Trumps complaining about the debt. However, Rand is a Koch boy and will be one until he leaves office.I do agree that Moore should not take this one for granted but everyone thought that Strange was going to win. The fact the GOPE sunk 30 million into Stranges campaign and he lost is a miracle and now few of those useless Rinos are retiring as promised we need to clean up our Party is sucks too. Ask yourself this question? What if Trump would not have run. Hillary Clinton would be your President.

23. POP says:

The trouble with a publicly mega religious politician who just became the candidate might be……
    The majority of Americans will like a non Uniparty individual, informed by Christian values. The mistake the mega religious make is thinking that they can then indulge themselves by wringing their hands and publicly asking God for guidance over every daily decision. No, stop it. Admitting helplessness is not a good look.