Monday October 16th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

107 Responses to Monday October 16th – Open Thread

1. DanDeplorable says:

DAILY DEVOTIONAL, October 16, 2017

Why Are We Here?

“We live to the Lord.”
    Romans 14:8

If God had willed it, each of us might have entered Heaven at the moment of conversion. It was not absolutely necessary for our preparation for immortality that we should linger here. It is possible for a man to be taken to Heaven and to be found fit to partake in the inheritance of the saints in light, even though he has only just believed in Jesus. It is true that our sanctification is a long and continued process, and we shall not be perfected until we lay aside our bodies and enter within the veil; but nevertheless, if the Lord had wanted to, He could have changed us from imperfection to perfection and have taken us to Heaven at once.

Why then are we here? Would God keep His children out of the Paradise of God (1) a single moment longer than was necessary? Why is the army of the living God still on the battlefield when one charge might give them the victory? Why are His children still wandering here and there through a maze when a single word from His lips would bring them into the center of their blessed hope in Heaven?

The answer is: they are here that they may “live to the Lord” and may bring others to know His sacrifice on the cross and His love. We remain on earth as sowers to scatter good seed, as plowmen to break up the fallow ground, as heralds publishing salvation that is in Christ alone. We who know Him are here as “the salt of the earth” (2) and “the light of the world” (3) to be a blessing to this world. We are here to glorify Christ in our daily life. We are here as workers for Him, and as workers together with Him. Let us therefore see that our life fulfills this purpose. Let us live zealous, useful, holy lives making Him known “unto praise of the glory of His grace” (4).

(1) Revelation 2:7
    (2) Matthew 5:13
    (3) Matthew 5:14
    (4) Ephesians 1:6

–Charles H. Spurgeon, 1834-1892

• smiley says:

thank you, DD, for posting these devotionals by CH Spurgeon.

a few minutes ago, I was reading another devotional…on this very same subject : the Salt and the Light.

❤ 🙂

• Jim says:

Such a timely post. Thanks so much. I really need to start coming here each morning before I go elsewhere You are obviously a night owl and I am an early bird so that will work great for me. I will carry this with me throughout the day.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Me too D.D. While I’m waiting for the Jessica murder trial verdict today, and on that thread……

2. Garrison Hall says:

Emmylou once described this song as being about someone who’s “hurtin’ real bad”. Paul McCartney always sings this at a much faster tempo. I think Emmy’s version is better.

3. Grandma Covfefe says:

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ Mark 12;30

4. citizen817 says:

5. Lucille says:

I’m So Mad Right Now – Marcus McNeil

• maiingankwe says:

Thank you Lucille. The only part I didn’t like was the young officer’s name was not mentioned throughout. I’ve been away from the printed news for two days, except small windows in the late evening, so I had not heard of this. I had also really wanted to look up this young officer and learn more of what happened. I’m sure I can figure out an easy internet search by using the town name though.

This was a powerful and moving video. The young man who made it was spot on throughout, and I found his anger to be completely justified as well.

I truly hope a good number of these NFL players watch this video in its entirety.
      Again, thank you. Be well and stay strong,
      Ma’iingankwe

• Lucille says:

Brandon was greatly agitated when speaking, but he did put Officer McNeil’s name in the caption. Being an officer himself, the death hit home.

He’s such a sweetheart. A person feels real kinship with him, his goodness and his ability to talk sense.

• auscitizenmom says:

THIS is what the black community needs. More like Marcus McNeil.

6. citizen817 says:

7. Donna in Oregon says:

Irish Blessing

May you be blessed with
    warmth in your home,
    love in your heart,
    peace in your soul
    and joy in your life.

8. smiley says:

Louisiana Oil Rig Explodes, At Least 7 Injured

5 hrs ago…article…

at least 7 injured, 1 person missing, platform on fire..

oil rig, supposedly owned by Clovelly oil, exploded Sunday night, Lake Pontchartrain, about half an hour north of New Orleans.

9. smiley says:

collage fun !

what if iconic art subjects were modern people ?

those are just 3 examples of…

Digital Collage…by Japanese graphic designer, Shusaku Takaoka

more about him here..

🙂

something different.

• Jim says:

Love it! Only a creative artistic mind could come up with something like this. Isn’t if great that God created so few of these because otherwise the rest of us wouldn’t admire their work so much.

10. Dora says:

Amaldus Clarin Nielsen (23 May 1838 – 10 Dec 1932) was a Norwegian painter.

Beachside, Naerland, After the Rain (1887)

11. Dora says:

Oh no!

==

Hurricane Ophelia: ‘Take IMMEDIATE action’ You have 2 hours! Unprecedented warning issued

HURRICANE Ophelia is TWO HOURS away from smashing the UK in what is now feared to be the worst storm for 60 years sparking warnings to take “immediate action”.

• scully7 says:

Dora have you seen the #Ophelia on twitter. These Irish are being very Irish about this storm. Some of the tweets are really funny in an Irish Kind of way.

• Dora says:

I’ve been reading them scully. They are indeed very Irish.

One lad said he thinks this must be the end because his Mom got out the good dishes to use.

A touch of humor in a bad situation.

• Dora says:

I’d be scared too.

• Dora says:

Reminds me of my Grandma. She’s walk a mile in any weather to get herself some tea balls. She put milk in her tea too. Ugh!

• Jim says:

You girls are really onto something. After seeing your posts I went to Twitter and have never laughed so hard in my life. Apparently the “establishment” over there are broadcasting on #Ophelia and the “?Irish Treepers” are broadcasting on #OpheliaIreland. The contrast is exactly like what we see over here. Everyone should go there to make your day; e.g.:
        Ireland in a hurricane…
        Schools closed
        Public Transport Cancelled
        Businesses Closed
        Pubs Open…
        Thanks so much for posting. You have made my day!

• BigMamaTEA says:

Jim, I generally “hang” on the Daily Open thread, unless there’s another thread that has my interest. It makes me start my day with The Lord’s Prayer each day. It’s up-top. Ever notice that?

Then, my God-squad on this thread, helps me keep grounded while watching Senate tee-vee. And I’m actually learning a bit about art from the Art-Chicks!

• Jim says:

Thanks! I’ve decided to start here first each day before my brain gets bombarded with all the other stuff going on. Its nice to have a “home base” to come back to when it starts getting to you. Thanks for the invite!

• andeclain says:

I’m surprised that Smiley and Dora haven’t responded to being called Art-Chicks! Great name, although I tend to think of them as the art teachers that I never had in my school days. They really help me to fill up a gap in my education. I’m delighted that Jim has discovered the wonders of the Daily Open thread.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Eh, they’re mostly the morning/daytime crew. I told them a long time ago, that I call them my “Art Chicks” and that I am actually learning to appreciate some of the art they post.

Same thing with my “God -Squad”. They know who they are, they know my nickname for them, and they really keep me grounded in reality and what is really important, as I scream and yell while watching Senate and House tee-vee!!

• Dora says:

Language warning: This is another Irish reaction. 🙂

12. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.”
    Prov 9:10 (KJV)

13. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

14. stella says:

For those who didn’t see this yesterday:

If you are able, please help our friend froggieleggs, who has been battling with cancer since earlier this year. As some of you know, she is a long-time Treeper, who contributed much during the George Zimmerman trial, making videos, doing research etc.

She is hesitant to ask for help, but she really needs it. Here is the Last Refuge tweet, that includes the link to her GoFundMe account:

15. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

16. jbrickley says:

This is quite amazing to watch… The liberal Left is eating itself over Feminism and Hollywood. I fully expect the Pedophiles to be next on the chopping block. In addition to the Leftists getting so angry over Trump their masks fall off and they expose their true ugly natures. On top of that GOPe is also exposing itself to the public. Not to mention the NFL SNAFU.

WINNING! – Trump was right, I am almost sick of all the winning but go, go, go, the Lion of the People is roaring. Go TRUMP MAGA!

• Bendix says:

I’m celebrating how many days it’s been since an overrated actress who attacked our president has been knocked from her pillar of virtue.
      BTW, one of Donald Trump’s biggest critics has been Graydon Carter, editor of Vanity Fair magazine.
      I just google him this morning, as I wanted to see what the fallout might be at that publication. This is the magazine that features the famous Hollywood issue, and every year gives a rundown on the up and coming actors. Carter also hosts the number one Academy Awards party every year. So the guy is definitely an insider.
      Come to find out, Mr. Carter has quite recently (was it around the time Farrow’s expose was being shopped around?) decided he will be stepping down. He’s said that he wants to leave at a high point, but it looks suspiciously like he is getting out while the getting is good.
      No way, NO WAY, did he not know everything there is to know about Harvey Weinstein.
      Look how he tried to frame it, back then, that in the war between him and Trump, he was winning.
      Looks like this guy could dish it out, but is not going to stick around to take it.
      WINNING!

17. youme says:

Goin’ Home, with Alex Boyé

• Jim says:

Moving performance by a gifted singer who was gifted by God as is evidenced by his voice and heart felt stage presence. Those of you who sing know there is much more to music than lyrics and musical score. Real music is the breath of heaven on human souls, much like the breath of a mother comforting her child. Many of us sing, but this man has “got the music.” Thanks for posting.

18. amwick says:

From twitterverse, loved the pic.

19. duchess01 says:

MONDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2017
    Does Anyone Really Know What Time It Is? Does Anyone Really Care?

• I should know the answer to this. If you are already skeptical of WiFi and use a VPN with https login, will a compromised WPA2 session give an attacker meaningful access to your session.

• oldiadguy says:

I don’t know, way outside my expertise. I was hoping a Treeper would know the answer.

• Ok, I looked around for some answers and my hunch was right. If you are already using HTTPS connections, then you have at least that layer of protection. Everyone needs to be doing this, over WiFi or Wired connections. You can learn more about it at the Electronic Freedom Foundation at: https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Personally I choose to use Firefox with only a few plug-ins. I use the HTTPS Everywhere tool and the Privacy Badger tool. And I choose to use exclusively Wired connections, even for my iOS devices (iPad/iPhone). It’s better for security, speed, health, etc.

If you must use a public network then using a tool like OpenVPN combined with a decent VPN service such as LiquidVPN would give you better protection from hackers.

(My two cents.)

20. Dora says:

She gets a bad rap.

21. Lucille says:

Kirralie’s Moment: Promoting Sharia With Your Grocery Purchases
    October 16, 2017 10:04 AM By Jamie Glazov

22. BigMamaTEA says:

{this is rich, even for the Hilldabeast}

23. Lucille says:

Wouldn’t you think this would be a major news story…famous woman, abusive husband, Democrat….

Janet Jackson ‘Felt Like a Prisoner’ in Marriage to Muslim
    By Robert Spencer, October 13, 2017

24. dbethd says:

First Lady Melania Trump and Mrs. Sophie Grégoire Trudeau of Canada | October 11, 2017 (Official White House Photo by Andrea Hanks)

25. dbethd says:

Catching up on weekend emails.

President Donald J. Trump signs the Executive Order to Promote Healthcare Choice and Competition | October 12, 2017 (Official White House Photo by Andrea Hanks)

26. dbethd says:

President Donald J. Trump and First Lady Melania Trump at the United States Secret Service Training Facility | October 13, 2017 (Official White House Photo by Andrea Hanks)

27. BigMamaTEA says:

Well, call be surprised…..NOT!

28. dbethd says:

Tennessee Ernie Ford – Stand By Me (Live)

29. dbethd says:

Too cute. One account says it’s Tennessee Ernie Ford with his son Brian sitting by his side.

30. getfitnow says:

As long as there are more Americans who demonstrate the kindness and generosity documented in the article, the Left is going to face a formidable adversary.

FTA:”Funny: I didn´t see anyone there from Black Lives Matter, the Congressional Black Caucus, the Democratic Party, Hollywood libs, or any other social justice warriors out there helping the thousands of black families who had lost everything in the flood. No one but us heartless Christians, conservatives, and other deplorables.”

• amwick says:

That was beautiful, esp the ending
      Meanwhile, real Americans – men and women of every race, ethnicity, nationality, and faith – came together and proved them wrong every day through our relief efforts. Almost overnight in Dallas, and in many other relief shelters in Texas and other states, compassionate Americans built truly safe spaces for thousands of our brothers and sisters and their children in desperate need.

TY

31. free73735 says:

Posted for open thread: partial prophetic worShatter and Scatter
    The Spirit of God says, “The llluminati and lSlS have merged and are attacking the
    pulse of this nation, for they are responsible for the list of assassinations. For the New
    World Order is shaking and quaking, for they will go down in flames a blazing. For they
    are trying to kill this nation before my chosen one takes office through depopulation,
    finances, and assassination. My army, my intercessors arise and take the fight to the
    enemy, stop the assassinations, stop the attacks to the pulse of this nation.”
    The Spirit of God says, “The llluminati, I the Lord God shall expose the llluminati
    because of who they want to be. They shall say we will be the world leaders like a shotl
    Not so fast, for I the Lord God will shatter you like a clay pot. Shattered and scattered
    my wind will send you back to the one who sent you. For you think you are wise craving
    power, money, and the prize. You so called wise have been fooled by the lust and the
    lure of the prize to the point that the one who sent you now seeks his payment, and this
    too you will soon realize. For your days are numbered and short, Woa to you when you
    have to stand before him and report. For this will be for all to see for when you serve
    the god of this world it will bring you low, repent or you shall be cast into the fire below'”
    The Spirit of God says, “Why do the prophets of doom and gloom keep saying that
    this is the end? For they are misreading the season of time we are in. For those that
    keep speaking this with words that bend, are aiding the enemy making the people lay
    down their arms, give up, loose hope, stop fighting and saying we will just ride this out
    to the end. For you are never to stop fighting or lay down your arms for any reason.
    Stop listening to those who commit spiritual treason. For life and death are in the power
    of the tongue, for this treasonous talk is even affecting the young. Stop aiding the
    enemy and start talking about what I the Lord God and my Army are going to do. Grab
    the enemy by the throat and make him fluster. Look him in the eyes and say’ls that all
    you can muster’? Choose this day whom you will serve, for I have given you the victory
    and the choice is yours.”
    Your Supreme Commander, Godd from Mark Taylor’s web site (retired Firefighter).

32. BigMamaTEA says:

HILLARY HEALTH UPDATE: Clinton ‘Fell Backwards’ Down Flight of Stairs
    posted by Hannity.com Staff – 4 hours ago,

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton hurt her foot and broke a toe after falling down a flight of stairs during her trip to the United Kingdom to promote her recent memoir, reports the Telegraph.

{too bad she didn’t break something else! Um….did I say that?} She attributes it to a heel getting stuck, really……and she falls an entire flight of stairs?

33. BigMamaTEA says:

“DEVELOPING… Traitor ‘Taliban Bowe’ Goes To Prison”

“……..Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl pleaded guilty to desertion and misbehavior before the enemy via his attorney Monday.”…….

34. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

And, Lord, we pray for all the people who have been affected by the earthquakes and hurricanes.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

35. F.D.R. in Hell says: