Beijing Orders North-Korea Businesses to Close Operations in China…

Before getting to the heart of the latest announcement it is important to note there is a great deal of rapid economic action taking shape in China ahead of Secretary Rex Tillerson’s arrival.   ¹China has stopped the import of recyclables.  ²Chinese manufacturing is slowing.  ³Comac (chinese aerospace) has successfully tested their latest airliner.

#1 is important because it reflects the opinion of the central economic planners in Beijing that #2 is more severe than currently publicized. #3 is important because Canada’s plan in the Boeing -vs- Bombardier trade dispute was to look toward China to purchase Canadian subsidized aerospace products. Purchases won’t happen because China is creating it’s own airline manufacturing industry with Comac (a Beijing subsidized industry). However, China is more than willing to give the illusion of trade in order to steal Bombardier technology.

Those are all subtle signals of economic activity within China.

However, today the bigger economic story is an outcome of President Trump and Treasury Mnuchin outlining specific sanctions against any entity that engages in economic activity with North Korea.

Beijing understands the consequences to the Trump/Mnuchin sanctions and finds themselves in a tight position where allowing DPRK business interests to operate within China violates the intended purpose to cut off North Korea from it’s economic enablers.

(Via Daily Mail) China has ordered North Korean companies in the country to shut down by January as it applies UN sanctions imposed following Pyongyang’s sixth nuclear test.

The commerce ministry in Beijing said today the companies, including joint ventures with Chinese firms, have 120 days to close from the date the United Nations resolution was adopted on September 12.

The UN Security Council voted unanimously to boost sanctions on North Korea, banning its textile exports and capping fuel supplies.

The announcement comes days after China confirmed that it will apply another major part of the sanctions – a limit on exports of refined petroleum products to North Korea starting October 1 and a ban on textiles from its neighbour.

China’s application of UN sanctions is particularly biting for North Korea.

Beijing is Pyongyang’s main ally and trading partner, responsible for around 90 percent of the hermit nation’s commerce.

The United States has pressed China to use its economic leverage to strongarm North Korea into giving up its nuclear ambitions.

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will visit Beijing this weekend for talks with China’s top diplomat, Yang Jiechi, and Foreign Minister Wang Yi. (read more)

This entry was posted in China, Economy, India, media bias, N Korea, President Trump, Secretary of State, Secretary Tillerson, Trade Deal, Uncategorized, United Nations, US Treasury. Bookmark the permalink.

137 Responses to Beijing Orders North-Korea Businesses to Close Operations in China…

1. Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey.

2. rsanchez1990 says:

Rocket Man just keeps burning out his fuse out there alone.

3. Kent says:

There are people at work who think I’m smart because I just tell them what I read on Conservative Treehouse which then comes true…the part that gets me is that they never seem to hear CTH or bother attempting to read things for themselves…..oh well…

• FofBW says:

sadly Kent, that is very true. However, if we can get just one to come over the the CTH light, it is worth it.

• frank field says:

Kent: Treepers, especially Sundance, have made me much wiser too. Love this site!

DRAIN IT

• frank field says:

DRAIN IT

• mireilleg says:

Yeah true but we look so smart.

• maiingankwe says:

Afterwards is how I may sometimes look smart when it comes down to how we explain it via Sundance. For instance, I have a few right now who think I’m nuts that our President Trump does not want to go to war with NK and it will be the panda looking like he had calmed the storm through our pressure in economics.

I know afterwards some may be nodding their heads in agreement, some will ignore everything I’ve said and claim it was all of China’s doing and some will think I’m bloody brilliant even though I give all credit to Sundance. It always seems to be after the fact though.

I know, one might be thinking I need to change the people around me, but it’s kinda hard when most are stuck as family. It’s all good. As long as I have faith in our President and his cabinet it’s all I care about right now. I’m just going to have to keep notes for when he’s up for election is all. Kinda like a ‘I told you so’ list.

I’m more than happy those around you think you’re smart all the time rather than mine that only some think it after. As I said, it’s all good. We win no matter what. Be well and stay smiling,
        Ma’iingankwe

• webgirlpdx says:

Kent….reminds me of a conversation I had over the weekend. Husband and I were driving back from dinner with another couple friends of ours. The guys started talking about NK and the possibility of pending military action.

After they finished I told them that the President has no interest in military conflict and they need to look at the President’s motives through the lens of economics. And how Beijing controls Rocket Man so every time he tosses up a missile, our administration puts the economic squeeze on China….hitting THEM where it hurts. I told them to just watch….

Hubby and our friends looked at me in amazement. Thank you, Sundance and all my amazing fellow Treepers!

• Kent says:

People are interesting (and then some)….what comes to mind is…”we don’t always know when we are being lied to but we usually know the truth when we see/hear it”…I have no idea who to credit for that one…

• terryjlongo says:

I frequently have this same conversation – it has become a really effective “in” to a liberal-minded person who would otherwise stop listening as soon as the name “Trump” is spoken. In fact, I have started to say “the administration” instead of “Trump”, and it seems to help conversations go a bit more smoothly – less triggering…

• webgirlpdx says:

Exactly, Terry. My hubby is all in for the President. As ex-military guys, he and our friend were discussing their hopes for taking that fat boy out by action — but I set the record straight by reminding them that the President is more of a dove with a very very heavy hammer when needed 🙂

• Bob Thoms says:

Hahahah….I know, it’s great isn’t it.

Thru the election I kept telling folks, Trump will win…………….when Trump won, they were astonished at my unwavering intelligent analysis.

Thanks Sundance and Treepers.

4. Borealis says:

But the neverTrumpers will insist that Trump is trying to start WWIII. The stupid is strong with them.

• oldtoenail says:

I am not convinced all of these people are that stupid. Some are just evil and want their way even if it hurts the USA. Actually I guess that is some form of stupid.

5. fleporeblog says:

The Chinese are FU….KED! I happen to have Bloomberg Radio on last night and they were doing their Asia market show. One gentleman that knows China very well said that the October 19th China Party Congress is a HUGE deal for President Xi. He is suppose to come out of it as one of the most powerful President in China’s history. He said this is so big that the last thing Xi will want is for the Little Fat Man to ruin his day. I think that is also playing big time into all the actions that China is taking.

Rocket Man may have seen his last rocket go off! The next time a rocket is launched from NK, he will be tied to it!!!!!!!!!!!!

• duchess01 says:

Ouch!!! Will it be televised, flep?

• dobbsfan says:

———————————————–
      Thanks Flep……Now I just had a flashback to Dr. StrangeLove and Major “King” Kong. Or should I have said……Mini “Kim Jong-In”?

• Janie M. says:

fle, I have this stored over at imgur:

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Suspicious cat says – how do you buy off an offensive madman like Kim? By getting him not to GIVE UP on firing, but by getting him to HOLD HIS FIRE with the promise of FUTURE FIRE.

I look at the future timeline, and I see the Coordinated Commie Menace™ simply delaying their nasty moves until after Xi does his Magnanimous Panda Kabuki™ act for the party boys and (few) girls. Rocket Man will hold his fire as instructed, because his Big Shot™ gets to be later.

Meanwhile, Pelosicrat-backed PANTIFA™ featuring soloists Yvette Felarca and Carl Dix will make life hard for President Trump right around the November timeline, when Trump is set to attend THREE Asian summits (or at least was, as confirmed by Pence back in April).

Buckle up. Poison Panda™ is Patient Panda™. Murderous Kim will not be a good boy for no reason. He holds out for something.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

I Agree. Eyes on them-Don’t trust Norkie Boy or China.

• jmclever says:

Communists don’t usually play nice. Lil Kim may find himself joining his half brother and all of Hillary’s suicide victims.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

The trick we have to watch for is China encouraging Kim to do something so outrageous that it’s very hard (particularly with the Western media singing their song) to think that China either approved it or was wise to it. Given the choice of betraying Kim or betraying Trump, and in the latter case betraying the Americommies, should a coordinated assault on Trump fail, I think they will betray the long-standing enemy and semi-despised puppets of America first, rather than betray their long-standing ally and pet dictator, Kim.

• progpoker says:

Why? With China’s economy cratering how in the world does Rocketman provide any benefit whatsoever to the Panda??

• nor'easter says:

Coal

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Rocketman allows China to pull off all sorts of geopolitical threats that the ChiComs themselves simply could not get away with otherwise. The Norks have been a useful pawn for decades, and they will not get thrown under the bus easily. Plus, China is working furiously to adjust its economy so it WON’T crater. Belt and Road is how they swap in everybody else to take the place of America. More smaller chumps instead of one big one.

Yes, we’re making the panda back up. But don’t think for a second that we have this in the bag to the point where it’s not going to take some courage, and some downside. China gets away with minor scuffs and bruises, IMO.

I honestly don’t think that Kim will give up his nukes without a “super-Clinton” deal, more like an Obama Iran deal, where they get everything, we get nothing, and they get to cheat. The reality of the deal that the media will push like the Iran deal: Norks cheat, China skates on trade imbalance, we pay BIG to the Norks, and we get nothing. THAT is what they’re holding out for, IMO. Of course, we don’t have to take the bad deal, but just imagine how much clock time they can eat up. The ChiComs are MASTERS of eating up clock time.

Any result of “6-party talks” would include a bunch of evil, wrong-headed, and counter-productive globalist back-up, too, which is precisely what we see with the Iran deal, where it seems like half the world is going out of its way, engaging in near-illegal behavior, to keep it alive. Secret side deals, lies, whatever it took to make the deal happen. E.g., the McMaster purge in NSC. That was globalist protection of the Iran deal if I’ve ever seen it. The globos would protect a cheating Nork deal in exactly the same way, which puts us back into bad position. THAT is what China holds out for, IMO.

People may think I’m a bit of a hard-a** on China, but it’s because I actually RESPECT their cunning and intelligence. The reason Trump is so effective with them, is that Trump plays at their level. But conversely, they play at Trump’s level, too.

China and the Norks are both willing to STARVE their people to death before they fundamentally give in on anything. And Kim is the more willing of the two, if China provides solid guarantees to Kim. Xi can get Kim to take MASSIVE sanctions, military confrontation, and humiliation, if there is a guarantee of total support to the regime, meaning Kim, in the end. We may never get to see the “bonafides” used to tell Kim that Xi means it, but that doesn’t mean they’re not there.

So the shocked, surprised look on people’s faces when China stands up for Kim in the end, and betrays everybody and anybody else, is something I am seeing RIGHT NOW. China baited everybody in once before. The surprise of China entering the Korean War should have been no surprise at all. So when CHINESE forces enter South Korea, don’t say I didn’t warn people. They will do whatever they can get away with. Leave that opening, they will take it.

They read Sun Tzu in the original language. Never assume you can pull a fast one on them. Always assume they ARE pulling a fast one on you. China has an evil, dirty, hidden ace right now. We should not assume we know what it is.

• Thanks for the alternate comment. You might be right

• mike says:

The Clinton-O freebies are done, total policy failures by traitors who likely had a piece of the pie. Kim’s terrorist exploitation won’t work anymore and neither will China’s.

At some point, Kim is vapor in the wind if he doesn’t stop it, or China doesn’t stop him. I think we should promise the Russians a small deal if China won’t do it’s rabid dog. I bet Putin has more flavors than Po-210.

• progpoker says:

Now you have me worried. Two Sun Tzu combatants and ours is being drugged. WE’RE DOOMED!! /sarc

• wolfmoon1776 says:

LMAO. (an no sarc on that, either!) 😀

People shouldn’t worry. Trump is a better player with a stronger hand, in spite of massive disadvantages. But I feel obligated to keep people on their toes. China is NOT out of tricks yet – far, far from it. People think we have them cornered. NO – we have them backing up. Fundamentally different. China can EVADE in various ways. Trump controls the outcome of American’s position, but we do NOT control what China does in response, and they have options, should they choose not to deal with Trump. Even if they deal, they cheat stronger than ANYBODY.

• bpk1300 says:

Wolf, this evil has so many dimensions, it is frightening…..So I take a deep breath and know that God is in control and our President Trump (yes, I adopted him and I am praying for my prime minister) will be the vehicle to peace for us. You are so right about the cunning of the Chinese mind and the equal dynamic brilliance of President Trump.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Trump is one of the few people who truly gets peace through strength. I think he absorbed a lot of Reagan – maybe even all of him on that tenet, and then improved on it. And YES – his respect for God is a big part of the winning.

Gotta be honest – I’d much rather be on Trump’s side, than whatever side is facing him!

• 🐼🐾🐼🐾🐼🐾🐱🐈🐱🐈🐱

• Wolfman ~ Chapter Title ~ Love From ~ Your Editor😎📚📖📚

“You Say ANTIFA, Beijing says PANTIFA”

• Tom says:

He’s going to be negotiating for his life 🙂

• Would be nice if your Editor got your name right!!! smh😎🤤

Returning to corner with dunce cap on after editing myself : wolfmoon

• duchess01 will tell me to straighten my halo😉😎🤔 (plz forgive me Lord & duchess01😁) but can I raise your statement, flep, to:
      FU…NK’ED 😎😇

6. The Boss says:

An A-Team moment is in the making.
    (Cue George Peppard)

7. Kaiser Roll says:

The deal we make with North Korea should exchange Spenser Rapone and some BLM actvists in exchange for the Americans held.

8. Atticus says:

China’s already “appropriated” a lot of the technology that’s required for the manufacture of aircraft and other aerospace product. We’ve (blind U.S. corporations) been “working” with our Chinese partners for over a decade, allowing them to make aerospace hardware for us. Don’t think for a minute that they haven’t outright stolen any technology and methods to set up their own industry.

• duchess01 says:

They have – they don’t have the ability to do it themselves – so they steal what others have put their minds into developing – and then – there are the rules – you want to do business here – build your companies here – so we can watch how you do it – master manipulators –

• carrierh says:

In today’s world, any company is and will do the same. Competition, competition!

• Scavenger says:

Yes indeed Carrierh. Also, often the contract to manufacture includes an agreement that the manufacturer is free to produce similar articles in their own name after an agreed period, say 3 to 5 years. Which explains why a lot of “new” Chinese product that looks an “old model”.

• El Torito says:

It is exactly the reason that China insisted for decades that if you want to sell it in China, you manufacture it in China. So they could steal it. Of course our bought and paid for Congress and Administrations were too happy to oblige. Must have been some awesome bribes. Thank God DJT is calling them out on all their theft and cheating. No more China high minded BS.

9. wolfmoon1776 says:

My “China-cheating-watching eyes” go immediately to the January date. Watch for foot-dragging that puts actual action PAST early November, when I expect coordinated leftist action against the Trump administration.

Will the Empire strike back? Count on it.

Wolverines – eternally vigilant.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

Love that photo.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Great, isn’t it?

DuckDuckGo images is turning into a wonderful place to get images. I used to rely on Google Images until they started messing with me, giving me “politically argumentative” images, or losing the stuff I was looking for. At that time, DDG images weren’t so good. Now, DDG images gives me what I want, and they’re not tied to Google!

10. Trumppin says:

Doing what no man before him could .. Love our MAGA POTUS! .. so much Winning!

• carrierh says:

Trumppin, just as Trump planned and why he is a great President. While the media and Congress have problems understanding how he works/thinks/acts, the gets things done that do put America first and they are desperate and don’t know whether to support him or not because either way the 2 parties in 1 are and will suffer for their contempt and thinking they own us and our country. Was so glad to read that Scalise is back to work. Our prayers do work!

11. tomasianews says:

This is amazing news. Many Chinese support the sanctions. I even got messages from them saying so. They believe the Norks are crazy and they feel ashamed to be associated with them.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Good to hear. Hope the intransigent jack-boot CCP, doubling down on Marxist purity, feels a bit of that heat.

• wondering999 says:

A few months ago when this murder occurred, it was all over Chinese television broadcasts here in the U.S.

“Tong Zhao, a North Korea expert from at the Carnegie–Tsinghua Centre for Global Policy in Beijing, said the latest revelations about the killing of a man China considered a positive, pro-reform figure, would further damage Chinese confidence in Pyongyang.

“The reason China has been reluctant to impose comprehensive and crippling economic sanctions against North Korea … is partially due to the fact that China still has faith in the ability of the North Korean government to transform and modernise itself.

“Such faith might be undermined by this recent murder.”

“Zhao said the news would fuel debate over China’s stance towards its neighbour and could have “far-reaching implications for China’s overall North Korea policy”.

12. Joe says:

NK exports coal and knit jackets.

NK imports petroleum and yarn.

Just wondering how much worse it can get for them anyway?

• backwoodsgirl123 says:

I don’t know, but I’ve been praying for an infestation of rats so that the prisoners have something to eat.

They catch rats, but they can’t cook them, so they eat them raw. Sometimes, that’s about all they get. They are starving.

So I prayed for rats so that the prisoners have something to eat.

13. magatrump says:

Great winning occuring. Love our Prssident. God bless President Trump.

14. sharpshorts says:

Kudos to sundance for deftly reading PDT’s actions AND clearly explaining them to us all.
    Really impressive thinking and analysis. It’s wonderful when a plan comes together.

15. joninmd22 says:

Huh. I didn’t know they made spacesuits in quadruple X.

16. stillers213 says:

Rocketman!
    I can’t help but to picture the fat little dictator riding on top of one of those Wile E. Coyote ACME brand rockets that has a fuse on the bottom for propulsion.

17. yy4u says:

China could do the NORKs and the world a favor by backing a coup against Rocket Boy. Nobody expects NK to become a Democracy or a Republic — a removal of the obese little psychopath would be a big step in the right direction.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

They are thoroughly prepared to replace his regime, IMO, should it be weakened sufficiently by a shoot-out with America. The real question – would they replace it with a “new pistol” like the prior Kim regimes, or a “new smartphone” like Vietnam (cheap version) or themselves (smarter)? Both are usable outcomes.

• amwick says:

Great reality show, Make A Nation! There could be teams, and a panel of experts, and call in voting. Hmmmmm

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Oh, no doubt! The media muffins will light up like yard lights! I can imagine CNN and all our other MSM useful idiots and wonks “suggest trolling” China with what they “should do” to replace Kim.

No – China doesn’t take suggestions. They will figure out whatever hurts America the most and do that. It’s really quite simple. LOL. China. Nothing if not predictable, even in unpredictability.

• All Too Much says:

The Reverse Big Ugly.

18. rebel53blog says:

Trump/Tillerson, a winning combination!

19. sunnydaze says:

Ok. If China actually follows thru on this, it’s huge.

20. I still don’t understand the Boeing -vs- Bombardier deal. Boeing doesn’t have a regional jet and Bombardier have a long-haul jet so they don’t seem a threat to each other.

21. A2 says:

(My second attempt to post)

Interesting data points from the Peterson Institute on NK trade from 2001:
    % of #NorthKorea’s exports in 2001: Japan: 37% China: 19.9%
    % of #NorthKorea’s exports in 2008: China: 47.7% India: 25.7%
    % of #NorthKorea’s exports in 2015: China: 84.9% India: 3.1%

The guesstimates of the number of NK workers in China ranges from 19k to 100k.

A to the Daily Mail article must read the small print as to what they left out.

“The amount invested by North Koreans in China is small – direct investment totalled US$22 million from 2006 to 2015 according to the statistics bureau – and it has declined in recent years.
    It fell from US$11.2 million in 2010 to US$290,000 in 2014, according to commerce ministry data.
    And it was just US$70,000 in 2015 – the lowest level since 1997, according to the Korea International Trade Association in Seoul.

Investments were mainly in restaurants – North Koreans run more than 100 across China, including 26 in Beijing, the trade association said in a report last year.”

“Zhang Huizhi, a North Korean affairs expert at Jilin University in Changchun, said there were not many joint ventures in China between North Koreans and Chinese, but they were mostly restaurants.
    “The number of restaurants has been declining since last year, when South Korea asked its citizens not to visit North Korean restaurants in foreign countries,” Zhang said.
    “Those restaurants don’t generate a huge amount of revenue for the Kim [Jong-un] regime, so this ban won’t fundamentally hurt the North Korean economy.”

However,”Sun Xingjie, said the ban would also affect North Korea’s textile industry.
    Of the 188,300 North Koreans who travelled to China in 2015, some 25,900 said they were in the country for business, while 94,200 were there for work, according to the National Tourism Administration.”

22. All Too Much says:

Sundance – The trip you are taking us on with the China/Noko/Trump unfolding history, is amazing. We’ve known, from you, the long game, and we are now blessed to see it rapidly unfolding.

23. A2 says:

Some other bits and bobs.
    It’s not coal, steel or other strategic commodities, but commodes are helping boost China’s manufacturing sector. Evidently ‘creative’ Chinese made toilet seats are doing a booming business in Germany and Switzerland, according to the Renmin Ribao-80% increase in exports.
    😀

On Sanctions:
    On Thursday Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued a ban on Malaysians going to North Korea ‘until further notice’.

Just for laughs and off topic, there are 200+ face Antifa accounts. Amishantifa is a hoot.

24. Mike diamond says:

Fat boy the rocket man will be tied to his own rocket ! Some where over the sea is his theme song! He won’t like the ride !!!