Thank You Readers – Your Communication is Delivering Results…

Thank you to everyone who is taking the time to explain the downstream impacts of fuel shortages in citizen led recovery efforts – to any public official or agency contact who will listen.  Using every possible communicative tool in your network is working.

Good News – FEMA “Task Force Irma” is listening and pushing the message upward toward critical “leadership”. We received the following email last night:

FYI… following your reports. We are supplying millions of gallons of fuel. I have used your posts to provide leadership insights into life in much of the state. Prayers are with you.

Best Regards,

Steve Shea

STEVEN W. SHEA
Defense Logistics Agency
Liaison Officer to FEMA Region IV DCO
Task Force Irma
4075 Esplande Way
Tallahassee, Florida 32399

My reply:

Dear sir, THANK YOU.

The need for fuel is a critical upstream priority. The downstream consequences are far greater than most could reasonably assess in a short reply. Suffice to say they are extensive and run the gambit touching everyone.

For the Southwest coast (south of Lake-O) Keeping the I-75 corridor (every gasoline station on every exit) with full fuel priority has multiple benefits. Inbound returning evacuees can “fuel up” shortly before they get home. That takes pressure off the fuel distribution/consumption inside the impact zone.

Our small community efforts have a top priority not to impede local officials and the coordination plans they have in place. That said, the average neighborhood can greatly contribute to their own self-sufficiency if they have access to fuel for portable generators and power equipment, etc.

We are wasting approximately 50% of our human resource time/effort simply chasing gas. Less time chasing gas equals more time on self sufficiency (helping neighbors); which means less drain on tight municipal assistance resources.

The direction of Irma’s approaching path compounded the use of fuel for personal vehicles. Gas stations in the SWFL area ran out well before the storm arrived. ie. beginning Sept. 4th. That effect has not yet recovered.

Thank you for all you are doing.

Warmest best.

This entry was posted in Hurricane Irma, media bias, Military, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

248 Responses to Thank You Readers – Your Communication is Delivering Results…

1. anthohmy says:

I love you.

2. anthohmy says:

Jesus said I am supposed to love everybody. A lot of people are hard to love. You are not. Thank-you from the lightest and darkest regions of my heart for all your guidance.

3. A2 says:

Hou Yeah! Sundance,
    BOOYEAH! for the translation.
    Well done.

4. FL_GUY says:

Has there ever been an administration that listened to people like President Trump and his team? The answer to that would be a big NO! We have a true man of We the People in President Trump! Thank God the USA has a true leader again!

• treehouseron says:

I’ve found working at places that management is always critical. The culture of a business comes from the top down. If management sets a culture in place and makes it important, it stays that way. If management allows bad apples to hang around it kills morale, etc.

Even if a worker or someone in chain of command is a problem, it’s ultimately the management that lets them stay there… hence management is always the problem, or the reason the company runs well.

So I honestly think that in a lot of these departments (like FEMA) a lot of the workers feel reinvigorated by having President Trump and competent leadership in FEMA running things. It probably makes their job more important than it has been in years. Most people in huge organizations like this get disenchanted by the nonsense, a new director has a way of cleaning up the nonsense and letting the people just do their job. Given the opportunity, almost everyone will do a good job if they feel like their superiors notice it, and appreciate it.

So yeah… damn right I’m gonna give President Trump credit for this amazing Hurricane response… twice in one month, by the way.

• deqwik2 says:

Well said & I agree.

• chiefworm says:

Tree, I work in the safety field and when management understands and gets behind a safety culture things work well and smoothly. Good management sets the “tone” of what is expected and good things happen (i.e. President Trump) and bad management begets bad outcomes (i.e. pResident Obummer). I am honored to be a citizen of this country and in complete awe of President Trump and his lovely wife Melania. Our country has been in need of this type of leadership for way too long.

• shadowcole says:

I agree. I am in the process of leaving a company/jumping ship due to management. The people I work for have no idea what I do and how my job works and yet they want to control me down to the second of the day and I work from home. It has gotten extreme and it is creepy so I am going back to a place I had formerly worked, taking a pay cut, because the atmosphere is so much better.

• piper567 says:

treehouseron,
        Yes, you have mentioned an important element manifested in these difficult weather events. This is true also of Border patrol forces…complete turnaround of morale, and likely elsewhere the influence of Trump and his is reaching.
        I believe this is a huge part off MAGA…its rather like a tugboat, and is, with the effort of many, tuning around the huge damaged ship of recent decades.
        Praise God for providing us a Leader.
        Trump is sort of like the OT Judges, men put in place when God’s standards had slipped…I like to think of him as slaying hundreds of the enemy with a mere jawbone.
        Trump’s get ‘er done attitude is beginning to be contagious.
        Very encouraging.

• Rebcalntx says:

Fl _Guy, so true. All the other administration would be lifting their glass having another dinner party. Chatting with the social club at another fundraiser. If there were benefits for the victims the top administrators would get their share of it first. Not being negative just what we have experienced as a country. Thank you President for the leadership. It moves all others into that direction.

• AmericaFirst says:

Not only that, but can you imagine someone in the previous Administration feeling comfortable adding, in writing, “Prayers are with you”?

• Southern Son says:

The Resident was busy Fundraising.
          So telling and funny how Broke the Dimms Party is now.
          If not for soros, they would have disolved by now.

• GracieD says:

I see a world of difference just from last year’s flood and the way POTUS is handling Harvey and Irma. We went through hell with FEMA to get a small amount of help. Sadly, we depleted our savings and drew out of our 401K, and had to pay early withdrawal penalties. I’m grateful we were able to do that. We did NOT live in the 500 Year flood plain, therefore had no Flood Insurance…we have it now, and I would strongly suggest that everyone who may even remotely need it get it. It is affordable when you are not in the flood plain. There are many here who are just getting started with repairing their homes. Texas and Florida have a very lo g road ahead. Thankfully we now have a POTUS who understands what it takes to rebuild. 🐊🇺🇸

• carrierh says:

Ditto to have flood insurance because we also do not live in the “flood zone”, but who knows what might happen. What bothered me was that the real estate men/women did NOT advise those in our small city of the flood zone where they purchased their houses and suffered damage with a huge overflow from a usually quiet small river due to debris being allowed by state/city not to clean out thus forcing the water to escape to the lower level of our city. Money more important than protecting obviously.

• dayallaxeded says:

0bunghole enjoyed playing politics with disaster designations and aid–R governors and mayors almost never got ’em, but they fell like rain for fellow Demonrats. I can’t remember now, but wasn’t Pyush still Lousyana’s goobernor at the time of the great BR-area flooding? Even if it was already JBE, the Petulant Retard in Chief at the time probably still wanted to hurt us for sending R senators and congress critters to DC.

• Dixie says:

President Trump is the only one who doesn’t live in an ivory tower.

5. chicagodeplorable says:

Very impressive, Sundance! I know I speak for all of us in saying we are proud of you!

6. Johnny Bravo says:

I’m in the UK and have to say how impressive this is to follow.

SD you are a one man army!

Go SD go!!!!

7. wheatietoo says:

Woohoo!
    I hope this means your area will get more attention now, Sundance.

If they’ve read your posts then hopefully they will send some help over to those farms that are in a world of hurt too.

We love you, Sundance.
    This is truly some happy news.

8. deqwik2 says:

Sundance,
    I haven’t seen much on tv about gas distribution but Gov Scott said Fl Retailers is coordinating the effort. At least that’s a clue as to who is doing it if you need to contact them. Here is a couple tweets from Fl Retail & the only tv clip I found.

• HM says:

Incredible! Bravo!
      I’ve never seen a “news-commentary-valuable information etc” site cover a hurricane and then continue covering the aftermath for days when all or most of the other on site reporters were back in their studios the next day. Having Fema reps listening to and reading the on ground reports like sundance and then responding ASAP is gratifying.

• WSB says:

HM, I am seconding your comment.

First, is great appreciation of an effective new leadership style within FEMA, being able to cut through the packaged farce by main stream media.

Second, and most importantly is the fact that Sundance, through CTH, is providing that critically expanding alternative.

Third, all of this communication is occurring while SD and Steve Shea are selflessly leading and assisting others.

Bravo, Sundance and Steve Shea!

• Raven says:

HM,

I do not know Sundance, but know he and his team are not just a “news-commentary-valuable information etc” site (that we are all grateful for) — Sundance has been hands-on helping his neighbors all across and around Florida, cutting trees, delivering gas, and I believe yesterday he brought strangers in need into his families home.

“Who is my neighbor?” Jesus was asked.

Sundance’s response — in this particular storm of life — reflects well the response Jesus gave to that question.

9. MakeAmericaGreat says:

Outstanding work, Sundance and Treepers.

And Trump Administration. They’re all over the recovery.

10. MVW says:

Ok, fuel. What is not obvious is plugs for generators. You cannot believe that generators are sold without corresponding plugs. As a result there was a run on plugs and they sold out well ahead of the hurricane. Dangerous for attempts at work arounds, a disaster.

For want of a nail a shoe was lost, for want of a shoe a horse was lost, for want of a horse a company was lost…
    Detail, details.

• Alison says:

Good point. I have no doubt Sundance will participate in the #LessonsLearned when Florida residents are on their way to recovery.

Details like yours are exactly what is needed. Sundance, please let us know if you want one of us to keep track of details like this to send you later. I volunteer; let me know!

• dayallaxeded says:

Seriously? I thought most gensets had regular 3 prong 120/220 plugs in addition to the bigger twist-locks. Both of mine do.

Anyway, I’ve discovered that a lot of folks don’t know about a store/company called Harbor Freight. It’s kind of the ultimate outlet for cheap, Chinese knockoffs of all kinds of tools. Yes, it’s offshore manufacturing, which is bad, but for now, its here and its a great resource. They have heavy duty generator cords and bunches of ’em and probably as cheap as you’ll find anywhere. They also have a very small, portable 2 cycle genset, under $100 that’s good enough for basic fans, lights and phone/laptop chargers and such (900/700w–check your start wattage for appliances you want to run off it–there are many websites that have tables for common wattage requirements, but the placard on the back of your fridge, for instance, will be the better data source). The Florida Harbor Freights are probably cleaned out, but those in GA, AL, and MS are possibilities. Also great deals on tarps, chain, tow straps, etc. Realize, it’s cheap, Chinese overruns, so QC isn’t the best–most stuff should be considered disposable, but I’ve got many hand tools, a compressor, and a 6500w genset from them that are over 10 years old and still going strong with ordinary maintenance.

11. lizzieintexas says:

Outstanding! Very encouraging that they are monitoring your reports and taking action based on real needs.

MAGA!

• Mariposa323 says:

Sundance is bringing a message of hope from a loving God . American John Wayne lives ! This site is my lifeline for news of every kind . No longer even bother with cable . I still occasionally listen to Hannity or Rush , but am so tired of all their little agendas ( MSM ) with social justice memes , pro Islam memes , pro global warming etc etc. As a conservative we can truly count on this Last Reguge . Just the facts , just the truth , let people be people.

12. Hillbillysailor says:

Thank you for all that you do!

13. MaineCoon says:

Thank you, Sundance. You will be greatly rewarded.

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Colossians 3:23-24

• One of my very favorite verses – a gentle reminder to keep plugging away no matter how great or small the task.

Sundance I am so very grateful I was led to your site, grateful for your resourcefulness and mastery with words. Grateful to all the unknown sundances out there too!!!

Giving thanks this morning with a grateful heart….and in prayer for all still in need.

14. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

15. distracted2 says:

This is awesome news! God bless you!

16. TwoLaine says:

Sundance, if you could only see the efforts that are being made and coming your way, it is a sight to behold. One of the most touching sights I saw yesterday was a big bunch of sailors turning salt water into drinking water and loading it into 5 gallon collapsible plastic containers headed your way. We are an amazing people when we want to be. Blessings!

#MFGA

17. jmgreenwell says:

Awesome news, SD. Keep on keeping on! You are a beacon of light and hope in your corner of the world shining out to the world via CTH and fellow Treepers! Prayers of thanksgiving this morning!

Jean

18. skeinster says:

Yet another reason to love the Treehouse- we have excellent management!
    We are so proud of you, Sundance, and all the unsung heroes. Stay safe and God bless.

19. Laura says:

And here’s my favorite Peanuts happy dance via the Piano Guys to celebrate this wonderful news:

Thank you to all those on the forefront of the recovery efforts. I can’t imagine what life would be like without you!

20. TrueNorthSeeker says:

Sundance…I join others here in our tree fort to say a great big THANK YOU for all of your efforts. So admirable and selfless. Thank you for your hard work and dedication always, but especially in your efforts in FL. It has to be rewarding to see your efforts paying dividends on the ground and with this communication from the FEMA rep, those dividends may be multiplied many times over! Excellent work! Stay safe ! And thank you for the updates. Speaking personally, they have been very helpful to my family in SWFL.

21. alliwantissometruth says:

Isn’t there more you can do Sundance? I mean, it’s not like your schedule is full

OK, you’re running around a huge area looking for fuel & people in need, helping neighbors, rescuing people, cutting up fallen tree’s, patching roofs & doing a thousand other tasks. Oh, & you’re coordinating with FEMA. Oh yeah, & you’re trying to keep us all updated on the conditions & the ongoing effort

But come on, it’s not like you can’t fit in a few more things!

Seriously, you truly kick ass

The American spirit runs through your veins

I thank you & I salute you. Ditto for all the rest of those citizens down there doing what they can

22. no-nonsense-nancy says:

God Bless you. Sundance! I hope in the near future you get the chance to meet President Trump. You deserve it and he needs to know, and I feel would want to know, you also.

23. elize says:

I am truly amazed. Not with our wonderful close knit community, but with the fact that the swamp wasn’t able to hinder progress and dismiss your needs in bureaucratic red tape, Please excuse me while I pick my jaw up off of the floor.

God bless and be safe.

24. georgiafl says:

Hopefully, lessons were learned and disaster response plans will be adjusted to help each part of the state more quickly recover after future storms.

Right now, there are two more storm systems moving off the west coast of Africa.

Click on map to see the cloud formations: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

• Somebody says:

Ga/FL are you in Coastal Georgia? It’s a mess, Glynn county in particular is struggling. I’m in Nassau County Florida, right at the GA state line. We evacuated, got home last night. There was and still is lots of flooding from Jacksonville north to Charleston, lots of displaced families. Local churches are housing families here, all the shelters are closing as of today.

Our entire county was impacted. The coast by a big storm surge, 7.7 feet (Barbuda was 7.9). The flooding stretches well inland to the western side of the county. Somehow we’re not on the disaster declaration list?? Every county around us, but not us, weird.

• georgiafl says:

GA/FL => lived in GA most of my life – now in FL – but born NOLA during WWII.

Part French/Part Scots-Irish/Part German, with a whiff of Middle Eastern, and who knows what else – so the doctors who treated my missionary sister for Malaria/Dengue fever say.

25. Go get ’em Tiger……errrrrr I mean Wolverine 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸💖💖💖🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
    God bless your Gracious Loving soul, blessed and proud to “know” you!! 🇺🇸💖🇺🇸

• maggiemoowho says:

Sundance and the people working with him, is that miracle to many of the people that they have helped. God Bless Sundance and all those effected by Irma & Harvey.
      Many, many hugs to everyone, 😃👍👍👍🇺🇸

26. magagirl says:

Sundance, God bless you!

27. anthohmy says:

Retrospective wrong post to express pent up things, couldn’t figure out how to say how sorry I was that you were suffering without seeming smarmy. Outfuc*ing did my smarmy self this time. After all that weeping and gnashing of teeth I may be one of the people without a seat at the table. But still. Moved…

• Plain Jane says:

@ anthohmy

I didn’t see anything you posted that was out of line, but if you did, it’s understandable. Logistically I am far removed from the hurricane areas, am safe and warm, and so are all my ppl. I am only experiencing the pain and frustrations of all of the souls via the Communion of Saints, and the memories of my experiences of ice and sleet storms that pale by comparison to the flooding.

Don’t fret, God knows your pain, and so do your brother Treepers and we too understand. May His peace be with you always.

28. NJF says:

Wonderful news SD. I know you are not seeking any sort of recognition, but please accept my gratitude for everything you do.

29. Debbrs says:

Hi there,
    Long time reader, first time commenting. (Already dork status).
    I’ll get straight to it.
    Fuel. Tankers have to reach fueling stations to deliver to public.
    Perhaps, we can have emergency fueling stations (temporary, portable, permanent) at welcoming centers, weigh stations along the interstates.
    In other words, bring the fuel to the people on the interstate.
    Yes, there are numerous safety features, logistics, staging, drivers paying for fuel, etc, that need to be taken into account.
    Making more fueling stations equals less wait time in lines, less fuel usage.
    Just a thought.

Thank you, Sundance, for the daily insight. You are greatly appreciated.

30. MfM says:

Marketing is important. There is marketing to drive sales by having scarcity. Why would anyone pay full retail for the Cabbage Patch Doll years ago when it was the craze? It was the must have little girl gift that year and parents did anything to get it.

They are trying and hopefully succeeding at the reverse. Getting gas to flow again… but at the same time having people self limit what they get. By having gas available at the exits people know, because they have seen it, that it is available. They know more is coming in because they have seen the pictures of the tankers coming in from sea and see the fuel trucks on the road. Then they get home with most of a full tank and maybe some fuel cans full and don’t feel the need to go top up all the time. The more you can stop the constant filling up, the quicker everyone will have some fuel.

It’s smart having gas available on major roads they are actually getting fuel to the interior one car at a time. It’s also quicker to refuel a string of stations along a major road then going out on lesser roads that may not be cleared.

I also wonder about social media and cellphones and what part they are playing in recovery.

31. JAS says:

This is AWESOME SD!!! God Bless you for your efforts.

We finally got power yesterday (West Coast) but have no cable and so no internet, phones, etc. I am writing this by using my cell phone as a hot spot but we’ve only had one bar of signal for days so even telephone comms are spotty. This page took five minutes to load!!

In the last decade all our communication infrastructure has gone cellular and this is a much overlooked problem. The cell provider companies that operate the towers need to be required to provide and maintain generators so they can power the towers. Highest priority.

I think that Cellular communications is as important as fuel. It’s the only lifeline of communication most all of us have.

• So glad you are well JAS!!💖🇺🇸💖 Thanks for checking in and your sweet patience waiting so you could check in! God bless you and stay in faith and stay strong. Y’all got this!!💖🇺🇸💖

• lisabrqwc says:

I admit it, I am an American Georgia Grace stalker!! I adore you and your posts. Even when a reply isn’t to me, I feel hugged by reading it. God bless you sweetness! ❤

• God bless you lisabrqwc!! I think and pray for you and Humphrey often and always glad to see your posts cuz it lets us know you are ok.

Like our wonderful President said, we will be with you now and in the future, the needs don’t stop, and neither will your Treeper family. You are so sweet and just picture hearts, American flags, smiles, hugs and silliness all coming your way! I am at work without those icons, but when I see you on the boards tonight I will send some your way.

God bless and stay well. BIGLY HUGS 😉

32. ray76 says:

Storm response should begin prior to the storm’s arrival. Response was flat.

While tolls on the Turnpike were lifted, the highway was not reversed and no gasoline tankers were positioned at service areas. In prior storms service areas were kept stocked with gasoline, sometimes it was the only fuel available.

Officials’ exhortations to evacuate while constraining their ability to do so forces people to either stay in place or risk being stranded on the roadside with no fuel during a major hurricane. It’s a sick joke.

This storm did not develop close in, it was a Cape Verde storm and there was plenty of time to prepare. Why was the state unprepared?

If Irma had maintained strength and tracked up the east coast as originally forecast I suspect there would have been a lot of death. People unable to flee would have died during the storm, or from disease during the aftermath. Florida is “fortunate” that the storm tracked through less densely populated areas and had weakened.

Just as important as fuel is water. Publix is far and away the dominant, and in many areas the only, grocery store. In prior storms pallets of water were dropped just inside the door. For some reason that was not the case this time. Gallon jugs were in their usual place and sold out almost immediately. In my area the limit was “four gallons per family”. That sentences a family of four to one day’s water. Why not dole out thimbles? Like the state, their response was flat.

People in the impact zone are suffering. They didn’t “dodge a bullet”. They took two bullets: Irma and the state’s inadaquet response.

Storm response begins prior to the storm’s arrival, not after.

• FrenchNail says:

I agree. One of the reason I did not evacuate was that with the traffic I was going to burn out my full tank of gas before reaching the state line and the word was that by Wednesday they were experiencing dry pumps at stations on 75 as low as Tampa. (I’m in Naples)

One of the thing that needs to be done in the future, is engineering the southbound lanes with flexible barriers to reverse the flow of one or two lanes much earlier in the evacuation process.

And to prioritize supplying the stations along 95, 75 and the turnpike.

• MfM says:

Scott lifted the tolls on the roads on Tuesday. I would have been gone already when they lifted. One of the problems was that fuel was a problem because of the shut down of refineries in Texas.

I’m sure a lot of thought and planning came into play with how they dealt with the major highways. If you shut down the Southbound lanes you limit supplies coming in, if you don’t you limit evacuation.

One solution which might have been considered is to do something really weird. Have one of the major South headed roads become two way. But limit the speed and who can use it to ‘necessary’ vehicles. Things like police, fire, ambulance, fuel trucks, grocery store trucks and any thing that could be considered necessary to the evacuation effort.

• PNWLifer says:

No where in your comment ray76 do I see anything about personal responsibility. If you live in Florida you know you risk hurricanes. The season is well defined and activity is easy to monitor. The number one problem is that people take no steps to prepare to survive a hurricane. Not Publix. Not the government. Individuals don’t prepare. Picking up a case of water at Costco each payday would be a start. But for the price of that case of water people would rather buy a Starbucks.

• Wiggyky says:

I agree with you. If you don’t prepare well in advance then don’t cry when you have nothing.

• MfM says:

While you could buy a case of water a week, you could instead once a month buy a dedicated water container like an Aqua tainer. They hold seven gallons and if you buy one for each member of your family there is seven days of water right there. There are smaller cheaper ones available to have what suits your family. If cost is a problem save containers like the ones Arizona Ice Tea come in that have the types of plastic that don’t degrade.

• ray76 says:

You presume too much.

I prepare every season. I also prepare when a storm threatens. Water can only be stored for so long before the containers split. It is necessary to increase stored water when a storm threatens.

• MfM says:

Dedicated water containers like the Aqua tainer and numerous others hold up for years. I know because I use them. If you just buy cases of course they don’t last long because they are made with very thin plastic that degrades.

• ray76 says:

yeah well mine didn’t. I came home to a flooded kitchen.

I maintain a stock of a few gallons rotated regularly and ramp up when a storm threatens.

I can not store gas, I live in an apartment.It takes more than a tank to reach the state line.

• Lack is not all says:

I like what you say and its a sound advice but many people are not going to like it. They prefer to blame the authorities. The pervasive actions of complete dependency were reached now. Lenin could rest in peace, even many in America were infected.

• Lack is not all says:

This is to PNW.

• ray76 says:

How much gasoline do you store?

• PNWLifer says:

ray, Over the years we have learned not to reveal to anyone the extents of our preparations. Even to some of our dearest friends who are otherwise very smart people don’t prepare for natural disasters or have any type of survival plan in place. While we discuss being prepared and encourage them to be we no longer share details. There are far too many people who freely admit their plan is to steal from others who plan and prepare. That would be a lethal mistake with us.

Suffice it to say we have gas, water, and food that we rotate so nothing degrades. That’s the tip of the iceberg. We are very well prepared.-

• ray76 says:

That’s comendable. As a practical matter (as well as legal) the vast majority of people can not store very much gasoline.

• dayallaxeded says:

Rotating stores is the hardest part for me to keep up with, but absolutely essential, especially with ethanol-tainted gasoline (begins degrading @ 30 days); sta-bil and other life-extending products only extend the useful life by another 30ish days. Good old all petrol gas will last a few months, but even with sta-bil or the like added, it should be cycled out (put it in your car to get rid of what you haven’t used in gensets, mowers, etc.) within a year. I don’t usually pre-mix 2 cycle, but if you do, the conventional wisdom is that as diluted as it will be, added to a car’s gas tank, it’s probably no problem to go ahead and burn it in your vehicle. Some folks say it’s even good for the valve train. YMMV–lit’rally!

• ray76 says:

Fuel is essential. Without it evacuation can not happen. A major hurricane presents a civil emergency. Individuals can not control the supply of fuel, government can.

• MfM says:

I know because I have numerous friends in Florida that they did not take Irma seriously until it was breathing down their necks.

I saw comment after comment about waiting in line for gas for all their cars and fuel for their generators. That the grocery stores were mobbed and out of water and they didn’t have the foods they wanted to stock up on.

• Somebody says:

Yes, people do get complacent MfM or maybe it’s disbelief. Hard to describe unless you’re in that situation. Everybody thinks it could never happen to them, that’s normal. Then when it does people either jump into action or they’re overwhelmed by it. The same thing applies to people in general in any type of crisis.

You know it’s just the way it is. A crisis can bring out the worst in people, but it brings out the good in far more people. We see that time and time again and we’re seeing it now just like we did in the aftermath of Harvey, neighbor helping neighbor. Witness Sundance and his efforts. We will recover and we’ll be stronger.

• CleanhouseinDC says:

Actually, it’s often a crisis of disbelief. There have, over the last few years, been hysterical calls for evacuations and things that didn’t turn into the massive catastrophe that was being promoted. People lose confidence in the Authorities calls for action when they over react, or what happens is far less than the press made it out to be. Kind of like that we always take what the weatherman says with a grain of salt.

They don’t think about worst case scenario, and that is what catches up with them.

• Somebody says:

Ray76, part of the issue with water and fuel is hurricane Harvey. Harvey knocked 40% of our fuel offline. Another issue is the massive evacuation, the largest in history. Having gone through evacuation with Floyd which is the closest comparable evacuation, I assure you this process was infinitely better.

As for water, again retailers were shipping as much as possible to areas impacted by Harvey. They had to regroup and start shipping to Florida. My daughter works at corporate headquarters of a major company. They were making decisions about where to send things like water, generators, batteries, etc. Because Georgia and the Carolinas were going to be impacted too, decisions were made at a corporate level as to distribution. That isn’t the state’s fault.

Everyone had access to plenty of water before the storm via the tap water in their homes btw. Getting power restored will take care of making sure everyone has water. Getting fuel to impacted areas is more difficult. It’s also compounded by supply disruption due to Harvey.

• Sam says:

I suspect the government under Donald Trump is trainable and capable of adapting based on experience of what works and what doesn’t. If this is correct, there will be changes to many things at the state and especially at the federal level.

• lisabrqwc says:

I can only speak to the water issue and your comment about Publix. Why in the world would anyone who lives in FL and knows that every year, just like clockwork, from June through the end of November, we are susceptible to hurricane(s) not keep a supply of water on hand? I live in a small condo with not much room, but I have cases of bottled water stashed underneath my bed, in the back of my closet, and under the desk in my office. To wait until an area is under a hurricane warning to try to obtain our most basic human need makes no sense to me at all.

My downstairs neighbor who let me use her condo as my shelter because she had gone to stay at an assisted-living facility around the corner because they would have generators, had spoken about her trip to Publix the day before and them being completely out of water. She was stunned that this could happen.

At a minimum, those of us who choose to live here must assume that the first 72 hours after a hurricane or tropical storm are completely on us and prepare accordingly. I ordered my cases of water from walmart online back in May because they have free shipping at $35 and my UPS guy would be hauling that heavy load up here to my door on the 2nd floor. I bought the individual bottles instead of the gallon containers because you can pour an 1″ out of a case or two of bottles and put each of them in your freezer to keep your frozen foods cooler longer and then be able to share a deliciously cool bottle of water with your neighbors when everything begins to thaw out.

There are so many things to worry about as a hurricane approaches, but having enough drinking water to survive the aftermath should not be one of them.

• Storm response did start before the hurricane hit, my friend, so there are some problems with your analysis.

A Navy aircraft carrier and 4 destroyers packed with Marines were steaming to FL. People reported seeing truck after truck with heavy equipment, food and supplies heading South into the state. Fema was stationed all over the state and before the storm arrived they announced that they had stashed supplies as far North as New Jersey. The Coast Guard was already there and prepared. All of Florida’s National Guard was called to duty prior to the storm, and 30,000 more NG troops from neighbor states were placed on stand-by. Electric bucket trucks from about everywhere in the continental U.S. were rushing to FL where they sit up “electric camps” in many locations, like this one:

And who knew even where it was going to hit? Remember early on when it was going East of FL and South Carolina was the likely ground zero? How about much later when it would go West of FL and probably hit the Pan Handle…..

Finally, they could not make major arteries one way because Florida is a panhandle. There is only one direction for egress–North. Had they made them one-way, then the supplies and personnel responding could not go South, the most likely ground zero.

This response was, IMHO, about as good as humanly possible considering all the unknowns these guys were having to deal with.

33. Nikki/chico says:

TOTALLY AWSOME Sundance, all blessings and love to you and all loved ones in Jesus name.

🌹🌹🌹🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀❤️💙💜💚💛💓💗❣️💕💖

34. Raven says:

Sundance,

Thank you. Thank you for all you do. Thank you for all you do everyday. Thank you for all you do everyday for us and U.S. Thank YOU. Those words of thanks to you all seem beyond empty at this point in time, but they are heartfelt and deep.

One day, hopefully not too far down the road, my husband and I will be in Texas or Florida to help the rebuilding effort. If there is anything we can do now that can best help the most people — please let us (everyone who views your site) know.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for giving us the promise of beauty rising from ashes. Bless the hands and feet, mouth and words of Your son Sundance this and everyday. In Your glorious Name, Father, Son and Holy Spirit we ask.

35. FrenchNail says:

I am finally able to read you again after the storm. I am still without power but a friend got his back so I got a hot shower and a cool house to sleep in. I am looking forward to a warm breakfast before heading back home again to work in the hot sun.

If there is something you can all wish for us, it is CLOUDS. I am now officially a “red neck”. I spent several hours a day in the yard and outside the house, cleaning out the debris and fixing the most urgent repairs. I am all burnt out. Literally,

I spent 3 hours yesterday in line to fill up. Waiting 3 hours under the blasting sun in a hot car is not fun.

But the most difficult thing is the lack of communications. The local TV channels and radio stations pooled up before and during the storm to repeat ad nauseam the same garbage and wiped up everybody in near hysteria status, but soon after the storm passed they all went back to regular programming when we really need them to continue their update.

When the power went out on Saturday or for some lucky ones on Sunday, we lost cable and access to the internet. And the storm knocked out the transmission towers. So we got reduced to the old-fashioned battery power radios. But with nothing of interest to us to listen.

Until the power is restore to most of us, we should have at least one station giving us the locations of the gas stations which have been resupplied and the location of the supermarkets reopening and so on.

A absolute priority should be given to restore the transmission towers. It has been 6 days since I have been able to make a phone call. I got some messages through yesterday but that’s all. Being unable to communicate between us is forcing us on the roads using precious gas. This one has a chainsaw but no gas, this one has this and that but is missing this… You get the picture. Being unable to communicate amongst friends and family make things even more difficult.

We are pulling through. I took a drive two days ago in Park Shore and Old Naples to cool off with Car AC, and even though the devastation is immense with the vegetation the damages to the buildings is minimal. Naples prides itself for its lush landscaping and that took a horrible beating, Most of our majestic trees are down, by the thousands. It is very sad but not life-changing. So we’ll recover soon.

36. I posted this song somewhere else, but I just want to leave this here. God bless Sundance
    Patriots Heart🇺🇸💖🇺🇸 God’s Servant’s Heart💖🇺🇸💖 We Treepers’ Beating Heart💖💖💖 God bless you forever and always 💖💖💖🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸💖💖💖
    Beautiful song to start your morning💖

37. Cymrygirl says:

Well done, Sundance! Up here in Georgia, the damage was not nearly as extensive as down in Florida, although even the city school system where I teach has been out all week and we won’t go back until Monday due to power loss and impassable streets because of downed trees. Still, Florida got the brunt of the storm, no question. We were fortunate at my house to only have the power blink off for a second a couple of times during the whole thing. We are well-protected in our little valley town up here in the mountains. God is good! Please know we are praying for all in Florida and the Caribbean as y’all dig out.

38. The Boss says:

Whoever is in charge of restoring communications did a great job getting wireless systems going again. Otherwise, I don’t think SD and Mr. Shea from DLA could have traded emails.

39. Ivehadit says:

Sundance = the pursuit of excellence.
    Love it.
    We are holding you in our thoughts and prayers, Sundance. xxxxxoooo

40. Wiggyky says:

Having lived in Florida off and on since the late 1940s, 30 years from 1973 to 2003, I have seen my share of hurricanes from Cat 1 to Cat 4. So I speak from experience. I lived in a house that was built in 1940 when they built houses the right way. It stood all the storm without a hitch. I used to start preparing each May and by the end of June I had all I needed to survive for a month without power. Every time I went to the grocery I’d buy a few extra things which helped to accumulate a good stock. Every time I gassed up I’d fill a jug of gas and put Stabil in it to keep it usable. Not as expensive this way as opposed trying to do it at the last minute and run into shortages. People who do not prepare should not be crying for somebody to do something.

Many people forget that with the heat and high humidity of Fla, life can be dangerous for those with breathing problems or other medical problems. Those folks should have generators and enough gas to run them, especially Medical Facilities and Nursing Homes. But no, who cares, don’t check supplies, don’t check the generator to see if it still runs, just wait til the storm comes and ride it out. Yeah, sure, right.

I have the most compassion for those whose house has been destroyed and they have no where to go, or with gas shortages, no way to get there. Shelters are the saving grace for them.

Sundance — my kudos to you as well for all you are doing to help people. I used to get out and help neighbors but now being in KY and handicapped it is difficult to help anyone. So “rave on MacDuff” and keep on doing what you are doing.

41. mildtosevere says:

It’s a brave new world and voices like yours are valuable beyond words. This IS MAGA real time!
    I hope that this example is recognized by the White House!
    Credit due to those in the business of reality vs hyperbole, hate and click bait!
    👍👍

42. Joyful Noise says:

This is absolutely beautiful, Sundance! Truly this is a traumatic event, but God is with us and blessing the people of our country, Texas, and Florida. Thank you CTH! Love this site so much!

43. Sharon says:

So fine. How satisfying to receive that communication and know that those in a position to impact procedures are reading and listening and giving a sizable hoot.

• Ziiggii says:

Sharon, when Shea made the statement …”FYI… following your reports.” do you know if that statement was made re: reports here (CTH) or was that from an email sent to FEMA Regional Office?

Just wondering – being nosey!

Glad to hear that messages are getting through SD.

44. This alone speaks volumes about what Sundance and others have built here.

A tiny spot of light in the darkness. It shows clearly what can be achieved with a great leader and people willing to honestly and openly discuss problems and challenges we all face.

This shows that big picture is not always the right answer. That sometimes you need to look beyond that and see it at a basic level.
    That people here got that to happen is one incredible feat.

I don’t remember how I found this place all those years ago. But I’m thankful everyday that I did.
    I’ve followed the rules and have been liked and scolded by others here.
    But the two biggest change have been that I’ve received an education into how thing really work. And I’ve discovered that big changes are possible.

Thank you for doing all that you do and for being tireless in that effort.

45. Nordic Breed says:

We are seeing the real America in action here. Not what the MSM portrays. We are a can-do people who really care about each other. That’s what Jesus taught us, and with God’s help we will recover. Thank you Lord!

46. LKA in LA says:

Sundance, I am astounded the sender wrote, “Prayers are with you.” That was wonderful to see. The sender is definately a white hat. God bless you.

47. amy1212 says:

We still have no power. Duke Energy has no clue about crisis management or leadership. They’re bragging about their “top-down” approach (fixing the worst problems first, then moving on to the least). This means, in real terms, those neighborhoods, like mine, with buried power lines, with a power outage due to a fuse (a 20-min fix per my brother who is a lineman for a competitor) that these neighborhoods keep getting pushed further down the line for a repair. Duke Energy could send out a pick up truck with a lineman (with a hot stick and a crap load of fuses) and start repairing those little green boxes immediately. The Duke Energy approach is akin to taking a test where you focus on solving the hardest problems first and wait until the last minute to handle the easy ones. This approach means you run out of time and generally fail the test. Duke’s approach proves this and fails the same way. Anyone with any leadership ability recognizes you start at the top (difficult repairs) AND at the bottom (easy repairs) and meet in the middle. It does not help that NO DUKE ENERGY trucks have been spotted in this area. More credible sightings of SASQUATCH have occurred than that of a DUKE ENERGY power truck.

48. amy1212 says:

On a brighter note, neighbors are helping neighbors here. We have used our wood chipper and cleared 7 of our neighbors lots (chippings filled 27 64-gallon trash containers, 52 44-gallon black trash bags plus have driven to the dump with 13 trailer loads of additional yard waste. Repeating the cycle today with those who need help. We found gas stations so we can run the chain saw, wood chipper, lawn mower, generator, cars, etc.

• Alligator Gar says:

My neighbors were utterly wonderful. They used their compressor to inflate the 15′ pool I bought to store water for my 4 horses (they drink 50 gallons a day each!) They offered to help get the tree off of my horse trailer and car (I thanked them but politely refused. I don’t want anyone getting hurt. I called a tree service instead.) They offered us a place to stay if we needed it before the storm. Great Americans all. God bless SD and his crew. They are the ones making a real difference. MAGA!

49. alligatriot says:

Sundance is doing such outstanding work, I hear the President himself is on the way to help him