As part of FL CERT (Citizens Emergency Response Team), we are forced to reposition outside of the storm surge area.  As a consequence during the logistical move I will be out of the loop for most of the afternoon and evening.  We will respond to recovery efforts from positions East of SWFL.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to check back in and give updates later tonight.

To ensure continuance of communication, CTH has auto-scheduled posts set up throughout the next week which will run automatically without any need for human data entry.  [ie. the website is secure and will function as normal – and site admins are disbursed throughout unaffected timezones]  Other than my absence (hopefully sporadic), you should not see any disruption.

What can YOU DO?

Please pray for the people of Florida.  This is an extremely stressful time for many people, including a significant number of elderly.  Unfortunately, due to modern disconnection a considerable number of people do not have frequent contact with family.

If you know people in Florida, please just reach out to them via social media and let them know they are in your thoughts and prayers.  You don’t have to call them, your don’t need to look for a response, but a short note -just touching base- via social media (facebook etc.), with kind words, can mean the world to people who might be feeling isolated.

Trust me, I’ve been seeing and reassuring those faces all day.  It matters.

Just touch base.  Positive messages.  Don’t talk about their emergency status or involve them in discussions of what’s going on.

People are buried in that right now.

What I’m finding people need is just a kind word, a gentle ear, a warm heart and perhaps an appropriate dash of humor where possible.

Maybe you know someone, or one of your friends knows someone, anyone, who you might find via your social network.  If so, just let them know two important details: #1) YOU CARE and are thinking of them.  #2) THEY MATTER and are cherished by others.

If you can do this, trust me you will be providing a lifeline in multiple ways.  The benefits are exponentially valuable to the recipient; and also to those of us who are hardened to the immediacy of crisis and need calm in order to focus on the urgent details in the week ahead.

A note from Sharon:

The knowns and the unknowns continue to sort out as bullseye hours approach.

Windows for effective action are fewer and time frames shorter.

Some people are frozen into inactivity in such times; others pick up the pace.

We humans are quite the creation, with both limitations and capacities that are very real, even though they vary greatly from person to person.

Those of us far out away from these immediate danger can’t fix a thing, and many of those in the midst of have little capacity for fixing either. However, there is a primary thing that can be of great significant to every single person involved: our/your/my very presence can and does matter.

Some years after my sister-in-law died, and just after my husband died, my brother was sharing this with me: “… the people who were most meaningful to me during those days were the ones who had the ability and willingness to simply be with me. Didn’t feel compelled to try to fix. Didn’t forever try to explain how they felt. They were able to just Be. With. Me. Sometimes sitting with me in silence for a long, long time, because they accepted that There. Was. Nothing. They. Could. Do. to change the world I was caught in. The world I had to deal with for those moments, days, months…”

I have increasingly recognized since he told me that how very, very few people are capable of and willing to be PRESENT in helplessness with one who is suffering and having to risk it all. What grace is ours, if we will, just offer our presence.

And in saying that, those of you who express such feelings of helpnessness at “not being able to do something” – please recognize that your PRESENCE MATTERS.

Why is that so many have expressed in these threads, to those in Florida, “Please check in as soon as you can?” That’s easy – their presence matters to all of us. We want to know that “they are back among us….”

Well, when they do come back and answer roll call, your presence matters to them.

Your presence matters. You are not helpless. You, being alive in this moment, standing and watching, bearing witness, loving them – oh, my. This matters.

They are not alone. They know they are not alone. They know you are waiting to hear from them. No matter how long that takes.

Your presence matters. You don’t have to fix anything. Just keep loving. Your presence brings great value. Even when there are no words.

Oh yeah, and just for good measure, from the bottom of my heart and tip of my well calloused hands, please remember…

I love all y’all…

This entry was posted in Hurricane Irma, media bias, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

495 Responses to Notes on CTH and Hurricane Irma From Sundance – With an Important Message From Sharon…

1. Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

Love ya’ll and praying!

2. striket1977 says:

Tampa here. It’s looking like we’ll get some bad weather but ft Myers will be getting the brunt of it. not much going on here except the city is pretty vacant. As of this time only the only sign of anything ominous is the sky.

3. Carrie says:

Be safe and take care of yourselves. The rest of America is with you and will help however we can. I pray God holds you in His safe and gentle hands.

4. we300 says:

Amen. God bless all our Treepers, but most especially those in harm’s way right now. God bless all emergency responders and every man, woman and child who rushed in to help in times such as these. You are all lifted up in unceasing prayer until you’re all out of danger.

5. redredrice says:

Godspeed, SD, you’re amazingly blessed and one of God’s warriors. Take care and come back safely!

6. AmericaFirst says:

Sundance, I am grateful that you have been forced to relocate. God be with you and yours.

7. Oldschool says:

So accurately and lovingly expressed Sharon. In my years of nursing, so often the goal was ease physical pain and just be there. It matters, you matter, every precious life matters. Be well and God bless you, Sundance and all facing this challenge. May you all come through it safe and sound.

8. woohoowee says:

(Hugs) Y’all take care.

9. Oldschool says:

Looking for Sedanka. He sounded distraught yesterday and has been on my mind. God guide him.

10. Lucille says:

Juan Browne’s very informational take on…

Hurricane Irma 9 Sept- “How Do They Know When it will Turn North?”
    blancolirio channel

• Sharon says:

He’s a natural teacher. Thank you for linking this – I hadn’t gone searching yet. Was hoping he would have something on it –

• Lucille says:

You are welcome, Sharon. Juan is one of those people who can make whatever he chooses into an interesting lesson. He has my utmost respect.

Juan and his wife also treat the children with high regard and encouragement for both the sweet little beings they are but also for their intelligence. Family outings are adventurous with “good job!” when daughter and son do something well or explaining how they could do something better…but none of the “oh, watch out” or “you can’t do that” kind of an attitude, thus teaching them to be responsible but also fearless.

• Minnie says:

Thank you Lucille, for sharing this video, truly fascinating.

Thank God for the Hurricane Hunters and modern technology, knowledge is power.

• Dixie says:

IMO, you can even smell the African coast in the winds of a hurricane.

11. GracieD says:

I am praying for all in Irma’s path! Know that you are not alone, and know that those of us who have been through catastrophic loss will be here for you…even if only to sit in silence. Living in South Louisiana, I have vivid memories of Hurricanes going back to Camille. We always support each other, and help out in any way we can.

12. MIKE says:

Prayers for all in harm’s way. Make it through. The true America is waiting to assist you. God bless you all

13. Shamus says:

All my thoughts and prayers to you and yours. My 75 y/o parents have a patio home in Naples, on Tuesday night my sister and I begged, pleaded, cajoled and basically threatened them to leave. Fortunately the Holy Spirit got through to them and they finally got on the road Wednesday morning and made it to my sister in TN on Thursday. The helplessness I felt being here in NV trying to convince them to leave was gut wrenching, but they finally made it. Our family prays for yours and all those who are assisting. Thank you all, this site and you treepers have been a touch stone for so many world events over the past few years. You never disappoint. Stay safe.

• Lucille says:

A friend of nearly fifty years lives in Fort Lauderdale. He plans to hunker down in his fully food/water stocked home, saying it’s a couple of miles inland and he’s survived everything before. It’s not as though he can’t afford to head off to far away places. My feeling is this storm is unpredictable, why not err on the side of caution. I can only pray.

14. Dallas Gal says:

Ya’ll are in my prayers!!

15. jay says:

Prayers for all. .This tree has truly been a refuge and I thank God for you all. Stay safe.

16. BigMamaTEA says:

And to all of the (so far 88 comments)

Amen.

17. Bree says:

Love ya too. Stay safe, you’re in our prayers.

18. duchess01 says:

You Are Mine – David Haas

19. God speed Sundance, hang tough, know you will. Prayers to all

20. Will says:

Starting to look a little spicy on Marathon Key:

21. GracieD says:

This song always speaks to me in difficult times…

• lisabrqwc says:

Oh Gracie, this song has been on a continuous loop in my mind ALL day today! I’ve always loved it, but it just seems the Holy Spirit has been whispering this to me all day. Thank you for posting this!

I lift my eyes unto the hills,
      where does my help come from?
      My help comes from the Lord,
      Maker of heaven and earth.

I’ll praise You in this storm, and I will lift my hands…

God bless us all ❤

• amwick says:

Casting Crowns will be here in Northern Georgia 10/26…

22. Homesteader says:

Been busy with death in family. In Florida no less. But I want to assure ALL of my prayers and best wishes. May the Lord Jesus Christ show His mercy to all especially Florida, where the Mass of Thanksgiving was offered on September 8, 1565 in Saint Augustine, Florida. In my home, THIS IS the Thanksgiving we celebrate, the real Thanksgiving. Blessed be the Name of God!

23. kurt72 says:

Prayers and thanks to SD and all the Treepers down there from up here in Maine.
    Gods Blessings to all Gods Children.

24. Tom says:

My 88 yo parents left their place in Boca Raton on Wednesday to go to friends in Ocala. Since it looks like Irma is going to be more of a central and west coast FL hurricane and Ocala might actually have Cat 3 winds, they all left Ocala this AM and went southeast to friends in Vero Beach. Crazy times.

• We are in Vero Beach, Inland. Little rainy, little breezy, for now. Blessings to you and your loved ones.

• Sylvia Avery says:

I lost my own parents several years ago now. Reading about your parents made my heart clutch a bit. I know what this would have been like for them. That generation has such courage and resolve. I am so sorry your folks are uprooted and adrift like this, but it sounds like they are doing well and are with friends.

25. goswell says:

I hope every person in the Fl Citizens Emergency Response Team get some necessary rest before any response is required. Rest and be ready.

26. Peg_C the Deplorable says:

Absolutely praying for you. We have close family, friends, former coworkers in affected areas. Praying for all affected!

27. Minnie says:

God bless you Sundance and your family for everything ❤️

You and yours and ALL are in my prayers and heart. We are a family here at the Treehouse and when one hurts we all hurt.

We are here to pray together, encourage and support one another and reaffirm the good of humanity.

Always and forever,
    Minnie

🙏🇺🇸🙏🇺🇸🙏🇺🇸🙏🇺🇸🙏

28. kathyca says:

All of our friends in Florida are on my mind today. Please touch base when you can and stay safe!

29. Sandra-VA says:

Stay safe in your work helping others, Sundance! To all Treepers in the path of this monster, STAY SAFE TOO!

I love this place and am very happy I found a branch to sit on. Y’all matter, more than I can say.

Prayers for all, and hugs as well.

30. Texian says:

I currently have contact with boots on the ground, Gulf coast side near Sundance territory.. I will report conditions on this or successive storm story pages as long as communications stay up..

• TreeClimber says:

Thanks Texian. CTH is the only place I trust anymore, everyone here finds the best tweets (I’m not on Twitter and wouldn’t know where to go if I were!), I’ve been wondering how I’ll keep abreast of the storm (in Charleston, SC, with family who’s fled to upstate SC and Tennessee,) all the local sources are about 6-12 hours behind the Treehouse…

• volintn says:

Thanks Texian we’ll be waiting to hear from you. May God bless and keep you and yours safe.

31. Nordic Breed says:

Been praying all week for all in Florida and Houston. Especially asking God to turn Irma away to the east and to have mercy on all.

32. elize says:

Take care, be safe and God bless. ❤

33. Twinkletoes says:

Prayer for protection from a hurricane:
    O God, Master of this passing world, hear the humble voices of Your children. The Sea of Galilee obeyed Your order and returned to its former quietude. You are still the Master of land and sea. We live in the midst of a danger over which we have no control: the ocean, like a provoked and angry giant, has awakened from its seeming lethargy, overstepped its conventional boundaries, invaded our land, and spread chaos and disaster. We turn to You, O loving Father. Spare us from further tragedies. O Virgin, Star of the Sea, Our beloved Mother, we also ask you to plead with your Son on our behalf, so that spared from more calamities and animated with a true spirit of gratitude, we will walk in the footsteps of your Divine Son to reach the heavenly Jerusalem where a stormless eternity awaits us. Amen.

• kyasgrandma says:

“Where a stormless eternity awaits us.”
      What a precious and beautiful promise.
      “My hope is built on nothing less” thanks to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
      I hope to never forget this phrase in your prayer. Thank you.
      Cling to this hope all ye who wait and hope in the Lord. Amen.

34. hyacinthclare says:

Prayers all day for all of you from out here in dry Arizona.

35. ditzee58 says:

God Bless you al and please watch over sundance, FL CERT, and all of Your children.

Prayer for Protection against Storms and Hurricanes

Our Father in Heaven through the intercession of Our Lady of Prompt Succor, spare us during this Hurricane season from all harm. Protect us and our homes from all disasters of nature. Our Lady of Prompt Succor, hasten to help us. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Prayer to Avert Storms and Hurricanes

Father, all the elements of nature obey your command. Calm the storms and hurricanes that threaten us and turn our fear of your power into praise of your goodness. Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.

36. Joe Collins says:

Sundance, we appreciate YOU. Please stay safe. You are in my prayers.

37. TatonkaWoman says:

Sundance, with all you have had to do, and are still having to do, I am awestruck and so grateful that you still took time to arrange for our tree to stay active through Auto posts. You are amazing. Have no doubts that you and all of our FL Treepers are wrapped in prayers. So many Treepers’ friends and family there, too. Prayers for all. There will surely be many miracles that come from this.

38. SandraOpines says:

Much love and prayers to Sundance and Floridian Treepers! You are all on our mind here in the Florida Panhandle!

Many prayers for everyone’s safety!

39. uvaldegirl says:

Love y’all. Prayers for a swift return to sweeet, simple everyday life.

40. duchess01 says:

CANTICLE OF THE TURNING

41. seventhndr says:

@Sundance… Please post when you are really back online, so that we know. I know you are humble, but we’d feel better knowing.

42. May God deliver and protect all of the Treepers (and their loved ones) who dwell in Florida. I am continually praying, checking weather patterns, this is happening for a reason. If you couldn’t get out in time, it was for a reason. Trust in God.

43. alliwantissometruth says:

I don’t know who Sundance is, but I’d sure like to buy him or her dinner some day

Here’s a person who spends a ton of time putting together the most honest & informative website on the net, doing the job the entire MS Media refuses to do. He or she keeps us all on the top of the honest & reality based news & information food chain

And then when a disaster strikes, what does this person do? He or she is out on the frontlines, physically helping fellow Americans in need

If you need a modern day Paul Revere, look no further. Sundance is the absolute epitome of the American spirit. Someone who puts in the work for no momentary gain. The reward is fulfilling a sense of duty & helping the country we all love

Damn we need more Sundances

Sundance, Sharon & everyone else out in the danger zone, stay safe, & may God be with you in the coming days

44. carterzest says:

Love you back, Sharon and Sundance, as well as all moderators and CTH branch dwellers.

My Dad and Mom just got activated with Red Cross and are headed East for in undetermined amount of time not sure their role this time orblocation as of yet, but either HOU or S FLA. in the past, they’ve distributed warm meals, blankets,water, etc…

Prayers for all to be safe and sound. As mentioned above, of you’re in the path and affected, check in as soon as you are able.

Peace and ❤️

Jeffrey

45. mysticrose80 says:

I, too, will be praying for the you and all Floridians. May you all be protected from harm. Please be safe!

46. kyasgrandma says:

“23 Nevertheless I am continually with thee:
    thou hast holden me by my right hand.
    24 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel,
    and afterward receive me to glory.
    25 Whom have I in heaven but thee?
    And there is none upon earth that I desire besides thee.
    26 My flesh and my heart faileth:
    but God is the strength of my heart,
    and my portion for ever.
    27 For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish:
    thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee.
    28 But it is good for me to draw near to God:
    I have put my trust in the Lord GOD,
    that I may declare all thy works.”
    Psalm 73:23-28 KJV

47. El Torito says:

East Orlando reporting in. Boarded the last window this morning. It’s a big window above the front entry. I’ve owned a large rolling scaffold for a few years, never used it until today, and it was exactly what was needed. Then helped a neighbor do the same thing. Then another. And 7 more. Had everyone in the ‘hood bring their wood over to my garage to cut and drill, lent screws, tools, all day long. For many neighbors, their sons were there to help them but had no knowledge of what to do so all they needed was to be told how to do it. Grateful for the chance to lend a hand. I was whining about being so exhausted until a neighbor’s son told me he just spent 5 days in Houston volunteering and flew home to board up his Dad’s house.

48. This old Southern Gospel song has been on my mind all day……Nobody can sing Southern Gospels like these guys:

49. Delilah says:

Here’s a collection of FL cams:

LIVE Mallory Square Key West Florida

Key West Hurricane Irma Livestream

LIVE Marathon Florida Cam

LIVE Sunrise Suites Resort Airport Cam – Key West FL

LIVE Southern Most Beach Resort Pool #2

LIVE Southern Most Beach Resort Beach & Pier

LIVE Two Friends Roof Top Key West

Clearwater Beach Live

Clearwater Beach Live #2

• Judith says:

Thank you for this. I checked the Sloppy Joes cam yesterday and this morning. The outside was boarded up, but inside the fan was still on and the stage was lit up. Key West is my happy place. I am so sad for everyone who will suffer from this storm. Those I know there have evacuated, but are still scattered throughout the mainland. I am praying for your safety! May God’s mercy follow you wherever you go!

50. Summer says:

My husband and I are currently in the U.K. We received a message to evacuate (we live in the Charleston area). Our house is not in the flood zone but I am a bit worried about our heavy outdoor furniture which my husband, despite my suggestion, neglected to move into the garage because “he did not believe Irma would affect our area.” We experienced a case of airborne furniture in the past.

I hope everyone is safe, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. Take care!

• kyasgrandma says:

Lived in Summerville for a few years. Know people who live in downtown Charleston historical district.
      I pray for their safety and the health and safety of our former neighbors in Summerville.

• TreeClimber says:

UK? I think you went far enough…
      We decided to stay in the Charleston area, (had a GA cabin rented but I and another member of the family refused to go after the storm path shifted, and between that and Irma weakening everyone else somewhat lost enthusiasm too.) Winds were coming in from the east today, clouds starting to move up from the SE too. We’re definitely going to be affected, just not in the path.
      Wish I could find continued projections, have been depending on the Treehouse and comments for forecasts…