As part of FL CERT (Citizens Emergency Response Team), we are forced to reposition outside of the storm surge area.  As a consequence during the logistical move I will be out of the loop for most of the afternoon and evening.  We will respond to recovery efforts from positions East of SWFL.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to check back in and give updates later tonight.

To ensure continuance of communication, CTH has auto-scheduled posts set up throughout the next week which will run automatically without any need for human data entry.  [ie. the website is secure and will function as normal – and site admins are disbursed throughout unaffected timezones]  Other than my absence (hopefully sporadic), you should not see any disruption.

What can YOU DO?

Please pray for the people of Florida.  This is an extremely stressful time for many people, including a significant number of elderly.  Unfortunately, due to modern disconnection a considerable number of people do not have frequent contact with family.

If you know people in Florida, please just reach out to them via social media and let them know they are in your thoughts and prayers.  You don’t have to call them, your don’t need to look for a response, but a short note -just touching base- via social media (facebook etc.), with kind words, can mean the world to people who might be feeling isolated.

Trust me, I’ve been seeing and reassuring those faces all day.  It matters.

Just touch base.  Positive messages.  Don’t talk about their emergency status or involve them in discussions of what’s going on.

People are buried in that right now.

What I’m finding people need is just a kind word, a gentle ear, a warm heart and perhaps an appropriate dash of humor where possible.

Maybe you know someone, or one of your friends knows someone, anyone, who you might find via your social network.  If so, just let them know two important details: #1) YOU CARE and are thinking of them.  #2) THEY MATTER and are cherished by others.

If you can do this, trust me you will be providing a lifeline in multiple ways.  The benefits are exponentially valuable to the recipient; and also to those of us who are hardened to the immediacy of crisis and need calm in order to focus on the urgent details in the week ahead.

A note from Sharon:

The knowns and the unknowns continue to sort out as bullseye hours approach.

Windows for effective action are fewer and time frames shorter.

Some people are frozen into inactivity in such times; others pick up the pace.

We humans are quite the creation, with both limitations and capacities that are very real, even though they vary greatly from person to person.

Those of us far out away from these immediate danger can’t fix a thing, and many of those in the midst of have little capacity for fixing either. However, there is a primary thing that can be of great significant to every single person involved: our/your/my very presence can and does matter.

Some years after my sister-in-law died, and just after my husband died, my brother was sharing this with me: “… the people who were most meaningful to me during those days were the ones who had the ability and willingness to simply be with me. Didn’t feel compelled to try to fix. Didn’t forever try to explain how they felt. They were able to just Be. With. Me. Sometimes sitting with me in silence for a long, long time, because they accepted that There. Was. Nothing. They. Could. Do. to change the world I was caught in. The world I had to deal with for those moments, days, months…”

I have increasingly recognized since he told me that how very, very few people are capable of and willing to be PRESENT in helplessness with one who is suffering and having to risk it all. What grace is ours, if we will, just offer our presence.

And in saying that, those of you who express such feelings of helpnessness at “not being able to do something” – please recognize that your PRESENCE MATTERS.

Why is that so many have expressed in these threads, to those in Florida, “Please check in as soon as you can?” That’s easy – their presence matters to all of us. We want to know that “they are back among us….”

Well, when they do come back and answer roll call, your presence matters to them.

Your presence matters. You are not helpless. You, being alive in this moment, standing and watching, bearing witness, loving them – oh, my. This matters.

They are not alone. They know they are not alone. They know you are waiting to hear from them. No matter how long that takes.

Your presence matters. You don’t have to fix anything. Just keep loving. Your presence brings great value. Even when there are no words.

Oh yeah, and just for good measure, from the bottom of my heart and tip of my well calloused hands, please remember…

I love all y’all…

This entry was posted in Hurricane Irma, media bias, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

495 Responses to Notes on CTH and Hurricane Irma From Sundance – With an Important Message From Sharon…

1. visage13 says:

Sharon that is so beautiful, thank you. Sundance, take care. You are the glue that holds this place together. Your knowledge, insight, analysis and the way you make it all so easy to understand is priceless and I thank you.

• shallbe4 says:

Dear Sundance I am so enamored of the fact that you have never turned your back on our President. God has blessed you with the most informative site on the Internet. We are missing you already. Stay safe and strong and come back to us soon.

2. duchess01 says:

Here I am Lord with lyrics

3. Laura says:

There’s a late breaking news blurb on Lucianne.com that is very ominous and extremely vague. It says:

Florida Gov. Rick Scott: I need everybody to listen and get out.

Specifically, WHO he is talking about–just those in the immediate “path” of Irma? EVERYONE? I couldn’t find an article on Lucianne that had any further details. Without specifics, this is not a very helpful thing to post, I might add!

4. alligatriot says:

The house I lived in when Donna came roaring in is 32 miles from where I’m living now. Both the house and me are still here! Hope I can say that come Tuesday!
    Thanks again, Sundance, for all you do and all you’re doing. Really appreciated your wonderful post, Sharon!
    Thanks to all for the good wishes and prayers!

Now it’s time for old movies, popcorn and snuggling.

STAY SAFE Y’ALL !!

• God bless you alligatriot. We have just got to know you, so you listen to me YOU AINT GOIN NOWHERE!!! Keep posting when you can and check in when the storm has passed…still more GA woods, GA pines and hoot owls to talk about! God comfort and keep you…see ya on the flip side of Irma. Prayers going up for you💖🇺🇸💖 Blessings💖

• Snow White says:

Prayers for your safety alligatriot and for everyone on FL 🙏🙏🙏

5. duchess01 says:

God Will Make A Way – Don Moen Religious Song

6. duchess01 says:

Psalm 91…A Prayer of Protection

7. 100% YOOPER says:

One night I dreamed a dream.
    As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
    Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
    For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
    One belonging to me and one to my Lord.
    After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
    I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
    I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
    especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
    there was only one set of footprints.
    This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
    “Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
    You’d walk with me all the way.
    But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
    there was only one set of footprints.
    I don’t understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me.”
    He whispered, “My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
    Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
    When you saw only one set of footprints,
    It was then that I carried you.”

8. guitar107 says:

SD, thanks for your message:
    “..a kind word, a gentle ear, a warm heart and perhaps an appropriate dash of humor where possible.”
    So true, last few days I’ve been reaching out to friends in SWFL, where I live. We have taken turns giving kindness and reassuring each other.
    I’ve fallen apart a few times, worrying about tha unknown, but in my darkest hour, a text or voice call from a kind hearted friend has been inspiring.

SD, you wrote about a topic that is important, but few even bother to mention. Thanks for your insight and your post!

9. dogcaller says:

“Eternal Father, Strong to Save”…first heard it as a youth during JFK’s funeral. Also known as the Navy Hymn; it always comes to me in times like this. “Hear us when we cry to thee for those in peril on the sea”.

10. Mist'ears Mom says:

Prayers that all those in Florida in the path of Irma remain safe and unharmed especially Sundance and all my other friends out in FLA. Beautiful sentiment Sharon thank you for sharing.

• Mr. Morris says:

Our prayers are with you Sundance and Sharon. You must be physically and mentaly exhausted. Thank you for all you do. I believe in miracles and pray for all of you in the path of the gigantic hurricane Irma. May God watch over you and protect you.

11. duchess01 says:

Be still, and know that I am God (HD)

12. JL says:

I went through Hurricanes Floyd, Fran, Bertha and Bonnie when I was living in WIlmington, NC. Some of the winds topped out over 120 mph.

For all you who are going through a hurricane for the first time, after you realize your life is no longer in danger, probably the hardest part is being without communication with friends and family. I hope when those tough psychological times hit, that you will remember all of us at the tree praying for you. If you are a Christian, know that this is a time that the adversary will attack, and it’s a good time to pick up the Bible! If you’re not a Christian, this might be a great time to read the Book of John! The Father holds his children in the palm of His hand, and will never forsake you and never leave you!

Our prayers are with you, and remember, when you come out the other side, you will be so full of gratitude and praise and be stronger in Christ for it. That’s the rainbow in this storm.

13. Anita says:

Godspeed Sundance and crew and all the Treepers affected. We’ll hold it down til you’re all back in the Treehouse.

14. Michael says:

Having lived in the USVI on my boat and later in SWF after swallowing the anchor I can never get enough weather info. Lots of real-time and model projection info here. Almost hypnotic.

• guitar107 says:

The ventusky model seems very interesting. Only thing I didn’t understand were the mild windspeed at 10m above ground.

Were would the higher windspeeds be felt: on the ground, and can the model be adjusted for that?
      (I didn’t find any suitable setting)

Truly hypnotic!

15. Curry Worsham says:

16. duchess01 says:

Casting Crowns – Oh My Soul (Official Lyric Video)

17. Cosmic says:

Survived Matthew on Fripp Island just north of Hilton Head last year. While we had major trees down, flooding and breaches to our barrier system of revetments, we still aren’t WHOLE are year later. As a private island, we don’t, didn’t have the monetary resources a city might have, however we appealed to FEMA and they came through. Praying for all affected in the path of Irma the &$!?;h

18. canadacan says:

Very very lucky to be a member of this blog in my very small way.
    What Sharon wrote was unbelievably beautiful.
    I have walkedgg that walk being in the moment is everything

19. dogsmaw says:

WATCH LIVE: Coverage of Hurricane Irma on the First Coast

20. dogsmaw says:

AT&T will not charge for talk, text and data overage in Florida due to Hurricane Irma
    First Coast News , WTLV 3:33 PM. EDT September 09, 2017

AT&T plans to ignore overage charges for Florida customers during Hurricane Irma.

The service provider will waive overage charges from Thursday, September 8 to Sunday, September 17.

The company texted out the following statement Saturday:

“Hurricane Irma Efforts – As Hurricane Irma continues to make its way toward Florida we’d like to help out during this difficult time. You won’t be charged for any talk, text, and data overages from 9/8-9/17. Go to att.com/hurricaneirma for more info.

Verizon customers were sent a similar message earlier in the week.

© 2017 WTLV-TV

21. duchess01 says:

22. justfactsplz says:

Still praying for your safety Sundance and that God will continue to use your wisdom and compassion as you risk your own life to rescue others and their furry friends. May God bless and keep you. May God bless and keep out of harms way all of us in Florida.

23. duchess01 says:

Treepers do this everyday..

you raise me up – josh groban with lyrics

• Deplorable bcootz says:

Music is good for us in so many ways. Ten years ago when I lost my son, this song brought me not only to tears but to my knees. It was the most heartfelt song and yet the most calming. At times when unexpected emotions would start to stir in me, I would play this song and it would help me release all of the emotions I was feeling at the time and then a calming would come over me and I was able to make another step forward. I believe God brought this song to my attention and it is now to this day, my go to song when my soul is yearning for a release of emotions.

24. duchess01 says:

Celine Dion & Josh Groban Live “The Prayer” (HD 720p)

25. duchess01 says:

My Prayer for You – Dion DiMucci.flv

26. dogsmaw says:

Hurricane Irma Public Advisory

ZCZC MIATCPAT1 ALL
    TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM CCA

BULLETIN
    Hurricane Irma Advisory Number 44…Corrected
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112017
    1100 PM EDT Sat Sep 09 2017

Corrected to remove the Storm Surge Watch in the Watch/Warning
    section

…IRMA TAKING ITS TIME MOVING AWAY FROM CUBA…
    …LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE EXPECTED IN THE FLORIDA KEYS AND
    THE WEST COAST OF FLORIDA…

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM EDT…0300 UTC…INFORMATION
    ———————————————–
    LOCATION…23.5N 81.0W
    ABOUT 30 MI…50 KM NNE OF VARADERO CUBA
    ABOUT 90 MI…145 KM SE OF KEY WEST FLORIDA
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS…120 MPH…195 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT…NW OR 305 DEGREES AT 6 MPH…9 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE…933 MB…27.55 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
    ——————–
    CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The Storm Surge Warning has been extended westward from the Suwannee
    River to the Ochlockonee River.

The Storm Surge Warning has been discontinued north of North Miami
    Beach to Jupiter Inlet.

The government of Cuba has discontinued the Hurricane Warning for
    the province of Camaguey.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for…
    * South Santee River southward to Jupiter Inlet
    * North Miami Beach southward around the Florida peninsula to the
    Ochlockonee River
    * Florida Keys
    * Tampa Bay

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for…
    * Fernandina Beach southward around the Florida peninsula to Indian
    Pass
    * Florida Keys
    * Lake Okeechobee
    * Florida Bay
    * Cuban provinces of Ciego de Avila, Sancti Spiritus, Villa Clara,
    Matanzas, and La Habana
    * Andros Island, Bimini, and Grand Bahama

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for…
    * North of Fernandina Beach to Edisto Beach

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for…
    * West of Indian Pass to the Okaloosa/Walton County Line
    * North of Fernandina Beach to South Santee River

A Storm Surge Warning means there is a danger of life-threatening
    inundation, from rising water moving inland from the coastline,
    during the next 36 hours in the indicated locations. For a
    depiction of areas at risk, please see the National Weather
    Service Storm Surge Watch/Warning Graphic, available at
    hurricanes.gov. This is a life-threatening situation. Persons
    located within these areas should take all necessary actions to
    protect life and property from rising water and the potential for
    other dangerous conditions. Promptly follow evacuation and other
    instructions from local officials.

A Hurricane Warning means that hurricane conditions are expected
    somewhere within the warning area. Preparations to protect life and
    property should be rushed to completion.

A Hurricane Watch means that hurricane conditions are possible
    within the watch area. A watch is typically issued 48 hours
    before the anticipated first occurrence of tropical-storm-force
    winds, conditions that make outside preparations difficult or
    dangerous.

A Tropical Storm Warning means that tropical storm conditions are
    expected somewhere within the warning area.

Interests elsewhere in Cuba and the southeastern United States
    should monitor the progress of Irma.

For storm information specific to your area in the United States,
    including possible inland watches and warnings, please monitor
    products issued by your local National Weather Service forecast
    office. For storm information specific to your area outside the
    United States, please monitor products issued by your national
    meteorological service.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
    ——————————
    At 1100 PM EDT (0300 UTC), the eye of Hurricane Irma was located
    near latitude 23.5 North, longitude 81.0 West. Irma is moving
    slowly northwestward away from the north coast of Cuba near 6 mph
    (9 km/h). A turn toward the north-northwest with an increase in
    forward speed is expected through late Monday. On the forecast
    track, the center of Irma is expected to cross the Lower Florida
    Keys Sunday morning and then move near or along the west coast of
    Florida Sunday afternoon through Monday morning. Irma should then
    move inland over the Florida panhandle and southwestern Georgia
    Monday afternoon.

Maximum sustained winds are near 120 mph (195 km/h) with higher
    gusts. Irma is a category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson
    Hurricane Wind Scale. Irma is forecast to restrengthen a little
    while it moves through the Straits of Florida and remain a powerful
    hurricane as it approaches the Florida Keys and the west coast of
    Florida.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 70 miles (110 km) from
    the center, and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 205
    miles (335 km).

The estimated minimum central pressure is 933 mb (27.55 inches).

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
    ———————-
    STORM SURGE: The combination of a dangerous storm surge and the
    tide will cause normally dry areas near the coast to be flooded by
    rising waters moving inland from the shoreline. The water is
    expected to reach the following HEIGHTS ABOVE GROUND if the peak
    surge occurs at the time of high tide…

Cape Sable to Captiva…10 to 15 ft
    Captiva to Ana Maria Island…6 to 10 ft
    Card Sound Bridge through Cape Sable, including the Florida Keys…
    5 to 10 ft
    Ana Maria Island to Clearwater Beach, including Tampa Bay…
    5 to 8 ft
    North Miami Beach to Card Sound Bridge, including Biscayne Bay…
    3 to 5 ft
    South Santee River to Fernandina Beach…4 to 6 ft
    Clearwater Beach to Ochlockonee River…4 to 6 ft
    Fernandina Beach to Jupiter Inlet…2 to 4 ft
    North of North Miami Beach to Jupiter Inlet…1 to 2 ft

The deepest water will occur along the immediate coast in areas of
    onshore winds, where the surge will be accompanied by large and
    destructive waves. Surge-related flooding depends on the relative
    timing of the surge and the tidal cycle, and can vary greatly over
    short distances. For information specific to your area, please see
    products issued by your local National Weather Service forecast
    office.

The combination of a life-threatening storm surge and large breaking
    waves will raise water levels ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS by the
    following amounts within the hurricane warning area near and to the
    north of the center of Irma. Near the coast, the surge will be
    accompanied by large and destructive waves.

Northwestern Bahamas…3 to 6 ft
    Northern coast of Cuba in the warning area…5 to 10 ft

WIND: Hurricane conditions are expected to continue within the
    hurricane warning area along the north coast of Cuba through
    tonight. Hurricane conditions are expected in portions of the
    northwestern Bahamas tonight, and in portions of the Florida
    peninsula and the Florida Keys beginning Sunday morning. Tropical
    storm and hurricane conditions are expected to spread northward
    across the remainder of the warning areas through Monday.

RAINFALL: Irma is expected to produce the following rain
    accumulations through Wednesday:

Northern Cuba…10 to 15 inches, isolated 20 inches.
    Southern Cuba…5 to 10 inches, isolated 15 inches.
    Western Bahamas…3 to 6 inches, isolated 10 inches.
    The Florida Keys…10 to 20 inches, isolated 25 inches.
    The Florida peninsula and southeast Georgia…8 to 15 inches,
    isolated 20 inches.
    The eastern Florida Panhandle and southern South Carolina…4 to 8
    inches, isolated 10 inches.
    Rest of eastern Georgia, western South Carolina, and western North
    Carolina…4 to 8 inches.
    Western Georgia, eastern and northern Alabama, and southern
    Tennessee…2 to 5 inches.

In all areas this rainfall may cause life-threatening flash floods
    and, in some areas, mudslides.

TORNADOES: A few tornadoes are possible through Sunday night,
    mainly across southern, central, and eastern portions of the Florida
    peninsula.

SURF: Swells generated by Irma are affecting the southeast coast of
    the United States. These swells are likely to cause life-
    threatening surf and rip current conditions. Please consult
    products from your local weather office.

NEXT ADVISORY
    ————-
    Next intermediate advisory at 200 AM EDT.
    Next complete advisory at 500 AM EDT.

$$
    Forecaster Berg

NNNN

27. TrueNorthSeeker says:

Fellow Treepers…would really appreciate your prayers for family members in Ft Myers and Clearwater (across the bay from Tampa). May all those in harms way be protected. Blessings to all the first responders (including SD)…may they rest well tonight for their load will be heavy tomorrow. I so appreciate all of them for their selflessness. Love and respect to all of them.

28. WSB says:

A bright spot for some of our personal friends in Florida. We have just heard from another six people. Two drove 15 hours from Naples to Atlanta. I know that may be a tropical storm in Atlanta but at least they are not in Naples.

Two are in Palm Beach and so far OK in a concrete home with a generator. And two others are hunkered down in West Palm Beach on a higher floor.

Prayers for all of you there?

29. jello333 says:

This makes me wanna cry. Sundance, Sharon, Puddy, and all my friends here — you feel like family to me. I cherish the day I discovered the Treehouse, and all that’s followed. Thanks.

30. duchess01 says:

How Great Is Our God

31. dogsmaw says:

32. dogsmaw says:

• WSB says:

Anyone in Miami should not let their guard down. Just seeing reported that Miami may receive 20″ of rain. One road parallel to Brickell Avenue is already half flooded. Brickell is also flooding.

33. William Thompson says:

God bless you and keep you safe Treepers and Floridians. Am praying for you- the Lord is our refuge and as Psalms 91 says, He cares for us and will protect us. I am very touched by your comments and concern. Will be listening for you on the flip side.

34. McCown says:

Prayers going out to all those in the path of Irma. May the Lord hold everyone in the palm of his hand. I don’t know how to post a video, but look up on u tube, The Eye of the Storm. Powerful song. God be with you all.

35. dawndoe says:

Praying for Sundance and all those who will be affected by Irma.

36. wheatietoo says:

Irma has been upgraded to a Cat 4 again.

37. jaxshamik says:

Live in jacksonville, still at work get off at 7am. If it stays on this track more of a tropical storm for us. Everyone in fl stay safe.

38. Cymrygirl says:

Please stay safe, Treepers. Much love and prayer to you from here in the beautiful mountains of NE GA, where we are expecting “only” high wind and lots of rain. Rest in the knowledge that we know the Peace Speaker! We sing this song in our choir at church, and it talks about Him calming the winds and waves.

39. NJ Transplant says:

Sundance our prayers are with you. Stay safe.

40. ditzee58 says:

If anyone wants a live feed from Irma:
    Dylan: