Massive Data Breach At Equifax – 143 Million Consumers Impacted…

Equifax said exposed data includes: names, birth dates, Social Security numbers, addresses, driver’s license numbers and credit card numbers.

(Via CNBC) Equifax, which supplies credit information and other information services, said Thursday that a data breach could have potentially affected 143 million consumers in the United States.

The population of the U.S. was about 324 million as of Jan. 1, 2017, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, which means the Equifax incident affects a huge portion of the United States.  Equifax said it discovered the breach on July 29. “Criminals exploited a U.S. website application vulnerability to gain access to certain files,” the company said.

Shares of Equifax fell more than 5 percent during after-hours trading.

Equifax said exposed data includes names, birth dates, Social Security numbers, addresses and some driver’s license numbers, all of which the company aims to protect for its customers.

The company added that 209,000 U.S. credit card numbers were obtained, in addition to “certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers.”

Equifax CEO and Chairman Richard Smith said apologized to consumers and customers and noted that he’s aware the breach affects what Equifax is supposed to protect.

Equifax said it is now alerting customers whose information was included in the breach via mail, and is working with state and federal authorities. Its private investigation into the breach is complete. (LINK)

This entry was posted in Cyber Security, Economy, media bias. Bookmark the permalink.

288 Responses to Massive Data Breach At Equifax – 143 Million Consumers Impacted…

1. youme says:

• Reality Wins says:

I have done fraud alerts but those only last three months. Don’t they charge you to freeze and unfreeze? If so, it should now be free.

143 million Americans need to put the fear of G_d into the banksters right now by freezing their credit. They really discourage you from doing that because they know you are less likely to open new accounts or make big purchases because of the hassle of unfreezing it and freezing it again.

Everyone needs to cancel all of the cards they haven’t been using, close all of the department store cards, and just keep a Visa or Mastercard. Also everyone should request a new drivers license number and a new Social Security number. Let’s make the government workers earn their paychecks. Why don’t we all apply as Juan Martinez and Juanita Martinez and really turn the banksters’ world upside down. Let the globalists choke on that!

• TPW says:

Did this over year ago……..what I would like to know is how these companies originally got started…..and how did they obtain the right to have your ss# and personal info….I know I never signed permission for them to collect my info…….I know why they exist ….mainly for the protection of lenders but still how was this ever approved…..did congress pass a bill a long time ago…….whatever their original intent they have gone far beyond the scope…..and if they cause people to be victims of identity theft are THEY going to foot the bill……

• TXBlueSquid says:

Not to sound like an advertisement, but about 10 years ago l signed up for LifeLock after other breaches includig DoD, VA, etc. I pay about $300 per year for me, my spouse and my minor son. Whenever I apply for any type of loan I get notified immediately, sometimes while I’m still at the bank or car dealership. I look at it as a form of insurance and it is well worth the price. I even get alerts when registered sex offenders locate to my area. Rather than being reactive to each breach, I know my personal information and that of my other family members are being monitored 24/7/365. Whenever I have had to call and speak to one of the service reps, they are great. I also primarily use one credit card online and when paying at gas stations, retailers and restaurants. It is with Navy Federal Credit Union. Several times over the past few years, I’ve been contacted by them before I even knew my card had been cloned or used fraudulently. Each time their system caught it, they closed my account and sent a new card. I didn’t have to do anything. No company or service is perfect, but some are definitely better than others. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

• shadowcole says:

I have lifelock, while it may not be 100 percent foolproof, I guarantee they are on top of any new credit inquiries for new credit. My experience has been good with them. Now, our information for tax purposes was stolen, we don’t know where from this past year. We hadn’t filed our taxes yet but received a notice from our state saying that the tax we paid wasn’t correct. We knew then that our information was out there. They had our ssn, names, address, and one of my employers that year. No money was paid out to the scam artists. Thankfully our govts are catching on to these thiefs.
        When we visited the IRS office to prove that wasn’t our tax return, we were told that most of the fraud this year was from employer breaches. It wasn’t too bad of a deal, just glad we both had lifelock so that personal information was useless for credit purchases.

• Daniel says:

How is that legal? If they are going to save their butts like that while others potentially drown, how is that not insider trading? At the very least, if they are going to bail on their own company, they should be required to disclose that fact 24 hours in advance.

• Charles Martel "The Deplorable" says:

THat is kinda illegal…

• Plain Jane says:

Why does this sound like insider dumping? 🙂

• That should be considered Insider Trading and they should go to jail!!!

• OverWatch says:

If true, they go straight to jail. If Uniparty donors, not so much.

2. kpm58 says:

Identity theft destroys lives. It is time to make identity theft a capital crime.

3. stella says:

Three Equifax Managers Sold Stock Before Cyber Hack Was Revealed

Three Equifax Inc. senior executives sold shares worth almost $1.8 million in the days after the company discovered a security breach that may have compromised information on about 143 million U.S. consumers.

The credit-reporting service said late Thursday in a statement that it discovered the intrusion on July 29. Regulatory filings show that three days later, Chief Financial Officer John Gamble sold shares worth $946,374 and Joseph Loughran, president of U.S. information solutions, exercised options to dispose of stock worth $584,099. Rodolfo Ploder, president of workforce solutions, sold $250,458 of stock on Aug. 2. None of the filings lists the transactions as being part of 10b5-1 pre-scheduled trading plans.

4. Edith Wenzel says:

Not sure why these people have access to this information anyway. They cause a lot of grief for people and have a strange scoring system. And, before anyone figures I have a bad score don’t bother I don’t buy on credit.

5. Coldeadhands says:

Tell me these repeated large security breaches are not state sponsored…ChiComs, Norks, etc.

• rodney says:

Yeah, they’re state sponsored, but the state is ours. The connections between the politicians and the “data people” are thick and well padded with taxpayer money. If you have any doubts, see http://www.tlo.com. It’s all for sale to business and gov’t. for a monthly fee and they don’t have to tell you anything.

6. angusmcgeef says:

When you see things like this happen it makes you wonder about the personal – private data hacking exposure in patient electronic health care records mandated by Obamacare. Imagine!

7. Dolorruborcalor says:

Credit Bureaus. The only industry where you pay someone money to check that they don’t screw up.

8. Bouchart says:

It says the breach was discovered July 29 but doesn’t say when the breach occurred. Could’ve been a year ago for all we know.

I never buy anything on credit for reasons like this. Cash only whenever possible.

9. Oldskool says:

So this happened July 29 and I, at least, am first hearing about this on Sept. 7, why is the obvious question. Our beta risk with everything is really scary, we don’t know what we don’t know.

10. kinthenorthwest says:

Crap and I have almost perfect credit. Hopefully it isn’t I used to have almost perfect credit.

• nyetneetot says:

Your scores fluctuate wildly depending upon which entity is doing the math. Equifax provides one baseline that lenders can use their own system against to see if they want to risk lending to you. In an extreme example, two lenders, pulling from Equifax, on the same day could come up with 100 point difference.

• kinthenorthwest says:

My car was interest free, if that tells you any thing.
        But I do keep a good eye, just to make sure. Twice in the last 5 years someone has tried playing with my credit. Once by using one of my cards, and the other time by trying to get a card.

11. allhail2 says:

Either the criminal justice system starts getting serious about crime and punishment, or the people will. The”authorities” have no room to bitch when someone else does their job for them.

It’s ok Fat Sally and Donut Ted, you just sit back and collect your check, it’s what you’re good at. We got this for you.

12. jrapdx says:

Every computer security expert will tell you “security is hard”, no doubt the hardest problem in the computer realm. Unfortunately it’s essentially impossible to run a business, or practice medicine without online activity.

In health care it’s become a requirement of insurers and governments to use electronic health record systems. I’ve argued for a long time that EHR’s are sitting ducks, vulnerable to intrusions despite assurances they are “safe”. It’s only going to get worse as the insistence on “interoperability” among EHR systems increases.

I think companies and EHR vendors that inadequately protect their systems should be held criminally liable for failing to protect sensitive data. Let’s put some teeth into enforcing their duty as custodians of data so important to our lives.

• mimbler says:

Yes, and you don’t even need to be hacked. My doctor says the portability of the electronic records is kind of a hoax because most medical places aren’t equipped to read electronic records other than the format they use.
      And he said generally, the only places that can read all formats are the insurance companies and they are sucking up these medical records.

I don’t like the idea that all insurance companies have access to my health data. Maybe its ok, maybe not, but it definitely isn’t comforting!

• jrapdx says:

The compatibility issue is even worse than that. Different health care systems probably can’t share data even they’re using EHRs produced by the same vendor.

The reasons for this are more political than technical. There have been numerous attempts to create standard protocols to allow secure data sharing, but vendors have been resistant to adopting standards.

According to programmers who’ve worked in the healthcare industry, EHRs are terrible messes, designed not for supporting clinical practice but to make sure every last item is billed for and the hospital, etc., gets paid as much as possible. Also security is an afterthought in many cases.

Can’t count on privacy protections, pretty much your health history is an open book. I suspect anyone really determined can find out about our health history, especially after it is sent to an insurer.

• Dixie says:

Much as they tout “privacy” and “hippa” there is no such thing as privacy anymore. Makes me wish I had never purchased the first computer. It’s like a widespread virus, a disease which has become uncontrollable. And I was in on the ground floor of personal computers being spread everywhere. Back then, we thought it was great. Boo Hiss.

13. Three executives sold $12 million in shared w/i days of the breach.

14. Steven says:

Great! There was a hacked incident with the employees’ database at one of the companies I worked some years ago. Because of that, the company pays for our identify theft protection, but they contract with Equifax. I signed up and have been notified of a few attempts since then. Now, this, Equifax being compromised. I suppose we will be told to take some more actions. Ugh! At least, It is a good thing I already added a few more layers of protection against identity theft.

• 6x47 says:

Just to be funny that should be a phishing website.

• jrapdx says:

Yeah, it could be a phishing site. However, going to the main equifax site shows a link to equifaxsecurity2017.com. That would appear to make it likely it’s an authentic equifax-related site.

• Nan says:

I have an enrollment date for trusted premiere next week. I guess my data was hacked.

• Rejuvenated says:

What’s it matter any more? Between multiple VA breaches, OPM and now this, my entire family has been violated for the last 15 years…

• Jo says:

Reminds of when the OPM was hacked & they sent us a letter to notify that we were in the millions whose information was compromised – then at the bottom of the letter they asked us to update our information to ensure that it was current & promised to keep it safe.
        Like you would!!

• Eskyman says:

Well, I followed that link, entered last name & last 6 digits of my SS#.

That was supposed to inform me whether I’d been affected by this data breach. It didn’t.

However, it did enroll me in “Trusted ID Premier Enrollment” which I’m not sure if I even want. That was just a preliminary enrollment apparently, as I’m supposed to return to the site to complete the registration process on 9/11/17. That’s an ominous date.

Went back & tried again, but it still just gave me the enrollment, no answers as to whether I was included in the data breach or not.

• Bostonian says:

The same thing happened to me, so I called the 866-447-7559 and the woman there was no help. She sent me to their website help.equifax.com which was NO HELP at all. This is ridiculous.

• Dixie says:

So my instinct to not trust that link was right…..thanks for posting.

• Jo says:

I checked my information on the CFP website that had the same link & it said that my information wasn’t compromised, then I checked my husband’s on this link & it said his information had been compromised.
        I then rechecked my information on this link & it said my information was compromised too – not sure what to think.
        All over the place like a mad woman’s breakfast, it seems.

15. 6x47 says:

143 million? I feel like one zebra in a herd of 143 million other zebras in the Equifax herd. Anonymous, indistinguishable from the others.

16. G. Combs says:

The percentage of the US population between the ages of 18 and 65 is approximately 63.6% from the 2014. ~ John Grumbine, I create custom tabulations of US Census Data

324 Million X 63.6% = 206 Million – 143 Million = ~63 million people NOT impacted.

More than 45 million people, or 14.5 percent of all Americans, lived below the poverty line last year.

May 2015 45 million Americans have no credit score – CNBC.com
    “[…]research found that about 26 million American adults have no histories with national credit reporting agencies such as Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. In addition to those so-called credit invisibles, an additional 19 million have credit reports that are so limited or out of date that they are unscorable. In other words, 45 million American consumers are living without credit scores.

Blacks and Hispanics were significantly more likely to be without a credit score, the study found…
    Having a low income was another major predictor of whether someone had a credit score: census tract data showed that nearly 30 percent of consumers in low-income neighborhoods were credit invisible and another 15 percent had credit records that could not be scored. In upper-income neighborhoods, just 4 percent of consumers were credit invisible and an additional 5 percent were unscorable.

“When consumers do not have a credit report, or have too little information to have a credit score, the impact on their lives can be profound,” said Richard Cordray, director of the CFPB, in a call announcing the study.[…]”

Yes it is ‘profound THEY do not get their information stolen!
    ………..

So there you go. They grabbed ALL the data for the US population that were NOT DEAD BEATS!!!

• G. Combs says:

That leaves ~ 18 million with credit scores who were not hacked or about 10%.

Time to make life for Banksters nasty. Withdraw your ready cash and open new accounts. Close all credit cards.

Hubby checked for us and Equifax says we were not hacked. I DO NOT BELIEVE THEM! Their customers are BANKS and they do not want to cause the banks trouble.

• lizzieintexas says:

I checked too. Said I was not hacked. This sucks.

• Reality Wins says:

I was hacked. Equifax gave me a date 10 days from now when I can come back and do something about it. How nice of them.

Locked down my Transunion and Equifax with a credit freeze but the shysters at Equifax tell me I have to do it through snail mail. I am going down to one credit card and am going to start emptying my IRAs starting tomorrow. What is really scary about this is how many times victims of identity theft have it used for medical procedures. You don’t know it until the hospitals and doctors come for your house and assets. And what about all the Americans who will have things changed in their medical history because of this breach? Of course the hospitals will cover up the fact that they gave you the penicillin you were allergic to that kills you because the hispanic who goes in for a tummy tuck has your record changed.

• chicagodeplorable says:

I checked; it didn’t come right out and say we were hacked, but gave us dates that we could go back on their site and enroll in ID protection which covers up to 1M. We are all in Lifelock and my husband also has creditsecure through AmEx, so I’m debating on whether to even use the Equifax freebie. This is the 3rd time for a hack; once with medical and twice with stores. Sad.

17. Dan Lest says:

The hackers can get into everything. Check out http://xyzcase.xyz for protective suggestions

18. auscitizenmom says:

Well, isn’t this just wonderful! 😡

19. kinthenorthwest says:

Hey Identity fraud is no big deal just talk to Calif Senator DeLeon.(snark off)
    I’m not saying this is Illegals, but they are the ones you do the majority of identify thief in the US. This is one of the fastest growing crimes in America, and when committed by a Non-America, they just go back to where they come from if it gets to hot.

• Reality Wins says:

My youngin’ was credit checked for first job and found out eight different hispanics in six different states were using the number. When are American politicians going to start standing up for American citizens?

• kinthenorthwest says:

Thats i what I have been saying for ages. When the H3LL do we start taking care of America & Americans.
        My ex’s sister went back to school later in life like her husband.
        After graduation when she knew her job was stable she and her husband decided to buy a house. She found out she already had a house and a few cars that were nicer & newer than the ones they owned. They almost got the lady behind it until she went back to the county she was born in. You got it Mexico.
        It took her over 7 years and around $50 thousand to to clear up the mess.

20. b0yzero says:

Equifax should be shut down for this.

21. RuckusTom says:

I’m sure Hillary’s bathtub server had 10 times the security Equifax had. /s

22. Amy1212 says:

Place a promotional block on your credit file for free. You can chose the length of time: 1 year, 5 years or permanent. I chose permanent. It eliminates unsolicited credit card offers, reduces junk mail dramatically, and stops someone from opening a new credit account without secondary verification. Here is the link: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/opt_form.cgi

23. unconqueredone says:

Remember long distance service “flipping”? For a 3rd party had to record and verify you wanted to change your long distance.
    How difficult would it be to pass a law to require a 3rd party system to verify you apply for a change in credit or change critical information about yourself? Maybe make it use a password and pin you create to enhance the security as well as a live person to ask a few questions.

24. Wiggyky says:

First thing I did was change the passwords to all my financial accounts. If they can’t get in, they can’t do much damage. Besides I also have the second check where they send me a code number to my phone. I only have one credit card so not a lot to worry about.

• Maquis says:

Fraudsters don’t need your credit card if they have your identity, they open new accounts in your name. The better your credit, the higher the risk, as it is then easier to grab more credit and run up higher debts.

25. ZurichMike says:

DNC and GOPe are working early to register millions of voters for the primaries.

26. aredtailblog says:

No credit card. Only an account with a Credit Union at the moment, though obviously my information gets passed through credit checks for rental purposes.

Should I accept the “free” insurance from the bozos who let the breach happen, or what are my options? (My Mom is accepting the free, but not I wish she’d be madder at these people).

27. As one who began his career as a lender in 1984 I would like to share a few conclusions of mine.

Credit bureaus and general credit monitoring are central planning tools. Central Banks (The Fed in our case) seeks to eliminate the hometown S&L, Bank or other “competing” transaction merchant. This is why the word “Bank” is illegal to use outside of a Central Bank Charter. Ditto “Securities”. It is also illegal to issue your own negotiable paper (remember US Dollars are NOTES- IOUs from the Central Bank. Go try to exchange a $100 bill for value at 33 Liberty Street. What you will get is substitute debt instruments, not real money.) Logically, and may I add Constitutionally there is no prohibition from you opening your own little bank and issuing your own Certificates (money). In old times large industrial entities like Textile Mills and Steel Mills built and sold houses for their workers, ran a company store, provided medical services. Those were paid for by the company’s own issue. In a free market that is a beautiful thing. ( good luck getting the Muck Raker’s voices out of you head when you consider those things- we had “Evil”, “Slave”, “Exploited Labor” et al drilled into our heads from our earliest education- these were Statist lies).

Local credit merchants (hometown banks, credit unions, vendors, retailers) do not need a central clearing house to assess borrower risk. They KNOW their borrowers.

There is ZERO reason one’s Credit Score- a secret formula randomly assigned by State sanctioned “Bureaus” should be used as a pricing mechanism for buying car insurance, homeowners insurance, renting an apartment, etc etc. This foolishness is complicit in dissolving a man’s sovereignty, and accelerates his compliance to the State.

NOT participating in “The System” is, at this time, a man’s only recourse. I stopped using credit in Sept. 2000. If I couldn’t pay cash or work out terms with the seller I walked. No car payment, no house payment, no credit cards. Now my credit report has absolutely zero entries on it- no inquirys and no accounts. Guess what? My lifestyle was downgraded for a while, then like magic I had more money, more productivity, more freedom, and far more peace.

The average American can’t imagine not careening into debt “get an education” (a racket and rip off) or to “buy a house- his greatest investment” (total BS) or “get safe reliable transportation” (more BS). We are taught we “deserve” what we want- and can have it right now! Just sign on the dotted line, sir. (cue Satanic laughter)

I am telling you the truth Debt limits freedom, limits choices, limits mobility, limits wealth and creates enslavement. It is not without surprise that the modern State encourages indebtedness.

Make a commitment and make a plan. Work the plan. Your wife and children and grand children will thank you over and over once you man up and break free.

Not to advertise here, but I like Dave Ramsey’s work on this subject. DuckDuckGo: Financial Peace University (I HATE Google- evil evil evil)

• Dixie says:

I admire the fact that you are probably almost invisible.

My husband was in management with a bank when credit cards first became “just” an idea. He loudly OBJECTED. Said it was the worst idea he had ever heard….

We both worked for banks for years and neither of us have ever used an ATM machine either.

28. JohnPaulJohnes says:

A bunch of websites tell you to go to the Equifax website to find out if you have been hacked, but almost all of them, including the actual Equifax website fails to disclose the the response to identify whether you have been hacked or not.

I found one website that fails what most other websites writing about the hack do, by providing the response that indicates you have most likely not been hacked.

Unless you receive the below response are you to assume your information has been hacked?

29. MaFreeman says:

hope this isn’t already posted …. Clark Howard says do NOT sign up for Equifax’s free monitoring & protection, he says “it’s a trap” … listen here: https://www.facebook.com/clarkhoward/videos/10157221050939572/?notif_t=live_video&notif_id=1504890218038602
    Here’s a link to his website http://clark.com/personal-finance-credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/?utm_medium=video-link&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=organic-social

30. MrE says:

Looks like the Chief Security Officer was an Affirmative Action diversity hire – she graduated from the University of Georgia with degrees in… *drumroll*

MUSIC COMPOSITION.

Yeah, you read that right.

This is the person in charge of all information systems and cybersecurity operations of one of the largest credit reporting institutions in the WORLD.