If ever you doubted that ESPN was the sporting epicenter of liberalism, well, consider this the day you can put those doubts to rest.

In what can only be considered the most ridiculous, over-the-top, example of political correctness running amok ESPN has pulled a college football announcer from the game between William & Mary -vs- the University of Virginia because his name is Robert Lee.

Seriously, you just can’t make this stuff up.  Oh, and Robert Lee is Asian (pictured left) but even his ethnicity couldn’t save him from the executive level stupidity and delicate sensibilities of ESPN.

The executives in charge of programming and broadcasting actually had a meeting to decide that an Asian guy named Robert Lee was just too triggering.  Here’s the statement from ESPN:

“We collectively made the decision with Robert to switch games as the tragic events in Charlottesville were unfolding, simply because of the coincidence of his name. In that moment it felt right to all parties. It’s a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and we regret that who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue.” (link)

This entry was posted in Cultural Marxism, media bias, Occupy Type Moonbats, Political correctness/cultural marxism, Professional Idiots, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

242 Responses to Thunder-buckets of Stupid – ESPN Pulls Game Announcer Robert Lee Because His Name Is Too “Triggering”…

1. sunnydaze says:

This thing is seriously crying out for a lawsuit.

Lee is one of the most common surname among the Chinese and if the Dems think they can start calling out every person with that last name, chinese americans are in for a world of hurt.

Sue the pants off these jerks.

• Lee/Ri is one of the three most common Korean family names (the other two being Pak/Park and Kim).

ESPN should be sued for this.

• doit4atlas says:

And it’s a huge Chinese name as well, my ex-wife’s last name is Li many Chinese change this to Lee.

• flawesttexas says:

My sister in law is Asian and her maiden name is Lee. I bet her, my brother, and their family are not thrilled with this.

This comes after some Black Racist group at USC (Univ of Southern California) just called the schools mascot, a white horse named Traveler, a “Racist”

• amwick says:

I looked it up (quickly) it is derived from a Chinese word for plum tree, which is really beautiful… Go figure.

• PNWLifer says:

According to howmanyofme.com which uses census data, there are 11,518 people in the United States named Robert Lee. Over 5 million with the name Robert and 731,046 with the last name Lee.

Think about six degrees of separation and how many people are connected to someone with this/these names.

Thunder buckets of stupidity indeed.

2. Paul Killinger says:

“You can’t fix stupid!”

— Ron White

3. MaryLS says:

It hasn`t become and issue until ESPN decided to make it an issue. Now they just look like fools.

4. aplusresumes says:

This is one of the stupidest things I’ve heard. Seriously, wth.

5. Kaco says:

I saw this on Tucker and like he said, even if it was Robert E. Lee’s great grandson, this is wrong.

I am glad POTUS is concentrating mostly on MAGA but somehow we have to get control of this culture war that is ruining America including sports.

6. fleporeblog says:

Dr. Gina Loudon on Fox this evening thinks this will be the straw that breaks the camels back. This is beyond lunacy. The fact that Robert Lee is Asian makes it even more sweeter. The left is not just making 2018 a bloodbath but it may actually be the beginning of the end of the Democrats and the beginning of the Republican Establishment’s demise as well since every Democrat Incumbent in the House and Senate will be replaced with TRUMP Republicans. Lucifer will be dead and replaced. Jeff Flake and Dean Heller will be primared and replaced.

This is an incredible gift at just the right time! Thank you ESPN!

7. Plato says:

Parodying the media neo-marxist social engineers is almost impossible.

Not only do they attempt to shut down opposition to their narrative by criminalising speech, the comrades are now trying to criminalise surnames.

Derisive laughter is the sensible response.

8. USA loves Melania says:

ESPN now demanding statues of famous scientist and white supremecist named George Washington Carver be torn down.

9. rashamon says:

True story: A large group of us went to a Chinese restaurant that was new to us. One of the men in our party addressed the waiter, “Sir, we have not been here before, so could you please recommend your favorites? By the way, my name is Dennis (Smith).”

Waiter: Of course, sir. And my name is Lobert Lee, but you can call me Bob.”

10. The Devilbat says:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Dogs Play With Balls. They at least have an excuse.

11. texasfence says:

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head at this late hour.

1. Since that weekend a few years ago that the worldwide monopolistic leader of sports deemed it necessary to bring into my living room two grown men, one a varsity football player at the University of Missouri, kissing and licking cake off each other’s faces, I chose to ignore any of ESPN’s programming except for direct live college broadcasts.

2. As this old Texan no longer has young children, I have to wonder what the once-esteemed Disney organization is bringing to my grandchildren on all their platforms.

Hey, I never call for boycotts, as I firmly believe that all of us are capable of making our own decisions. And I will not boycott ESPN, because they provide the only venue where I can follow my great university’s (LSU) sports. But I would truly appreciate you younger folks keeping us informed about what Disney is offering to our children and our grandchildren, the future of our once-great Republic.

Just a couple of thoughts from this old Texan, not to be confused with the pseudo Texans who have invaded and now permeate the culture in San Antonio, Austin, the Dallas-Fort Worth area and most of the Rio Grande valley, where my native conservative Texas friends, good folks all, are in the minority. And, please, we don’t need any more California liberal ex-pats who want to change Texas into the image of their former home, but want to take advantage of our lower taxes, lower cost of living, lower unemployment, and more freedoms here in Texas.

• doit4atlas says:

I’ve given up watching most sports all together. Basketball went first…Iverson, Spreewell, Rodman…need I say more? I always thought college football was over-hyped. Bunch of stupid dopes, sliding by on grades, acting like prima-donnas on campus…now demanding to be paid. This is stupid. Gave up watching professional football last year when they didn’t confront the Kapernick thing. I’ll watch a baseball game or two, but it too has changed. I do believe these sports, as we know them, have been destroyed…it’s only a matter of time. Young people today have so many media choices that they don’t watch in the numbers we did…not enough numbers to support the finances these teams need. I give it 20 years and they are gone or hugely pared down. It’s happening all over the entertainment/media business.

• Jimmy Jack says:

Disney featured an openly gay male character in Beauty and the Beast. It did well so I’d expect more of this.

• fakenoozisforfools says:

if too many liberal ex-pats (from California or anywhere else) move into Texas you will no longer have lower taxes, cost of living, unemployment or more freedoms. See Colorado for details. The only thing they ever change is the nest they shiite in.

• rashamon says:

Disney has always been a tool of the state. Walt worked with CIA Director Allen Dullesto define the messenging for both adult and child audiences. His cartoons were vary dark and I can remember as a child hating them. So did my children. Who wants to be surrounded by a horde of disfunctional dwarfs waiting for some unknown guy to rescue you? Or have your mother shot dead by hunters? Or spend your life washing floors on your knees because your wicked stepmother holds a grudge? Or have dancing brooms attack you? The fodder for never-ending nightmares and fear that no one will appear to rescue you from imagined catastrophes. Spare us all.

12. scott467 says:

“Seriously, you just can’t make this stuff up. Oh, and Robert Lee is Asian (pictured left) but even his ethnicity couldn’t save him from the executive level stupidity and delicate sensibilities of ESPN.”

_______________

So ESPN engages in pure, unadulterated, overt racism toward their Asian employee, in order to avoid any possible association with the Leftist mob’s imaginary fantasies about racism?

Dead, solid perfect.

Step right on through the looking-glass…

13. The Devilbat says:

This is such a perfect attention getter that I am wondering if the left is diverting our attention so we don’t look at something else that they are up to. Marxists are extremely devious and this story is just a little too perfect. It may well be a planned distraction.

• doit4atlas says:

They are devious for sure…BUT they always self implode because they have no moral compass and simply cannot figure out when to stop. They ALWAYS over-reach. They have done it again and will pay heavily in 2018.

14. Ronny says:

How unhinged these effin turd jugglers are

15. Don_in_Odessa says:

I demand the Democratic party be removed from American politics. Their racist history is an affront om sensitivities.

• Don_in_Odessa says:

OOPS! My fingers didn’t properly do the walking on my keyboard. I should have ended “an affront to my sensitivities”

16. Daniel says:

This is consistent with what they have committed to being.

• Daniel says:

Also, in unrelated news (it’s all related) I hear reports of CNN people at the Arizona rally being negatively affected by police response to “non-violence” and “no protesters” outside. Trying to figure out how that works exactly.

17. TwoLaine says:

Some of us might have to change our names.

18. eric says:

but his name WASN’T an issue until you guys acted stupidly……I love football,and I never heard of this guy until THIS act of progressive stupidity.
    HEY ESPN…..your rampant liberalism is triggering my CHANGE THE CHANNEL thumb…its too bad….you used to be a great channel….but that was sooo long ago.

• Tegan says:

I would venture to bet that the vast majority of viewers/listeners to a college football game have no idea the name of those announcing it. The announcers don’t make a big point of making sure everyone knows their names. This is so beyond stupid it’s actually hilarious. From the law professor (!) claiming the eclipse is racist to the BLM person who thinks Whites need to give up their homes to Blacks (sure, that’s going to fly) to this…I say, keep it coming. Can you top this mentality….love it!

• Jimmy Jack says:

I’d venture at least half have no idea who Robert E. Lee or Stonewall Jackson even are. The public schools in America are terrible. All part of the plan go weaken us.

19. unconqueredone says:

““We collectively made the decision…”-ESPN
    The equivalent of saying we have no courage and will let someone else take the blame for our opinions.

20. Martin says:

I absolutely despise ESPN for what they’ve done to college ball, on so many levels. This ridiculous fear of “triggering” someone is no surprise.

Remember when you knew that your local or regional team’s game was going to be on a local affiliate? ESPN’s rights extend well into the next decade, exclusive on “playoffs.” Heh. Don’t get me started.

Their greed and untoward influence has nearly ruined the sport, as if the NCAA hasn’t the capacity to do that quite on its own.

21. JAS says:

Drove through Leesburg this weekend. Bet that’s going to change too?

• Founding Fathers Fan says:

Yes, because ‘burg’ is derogatory. Burgs were walled communities to keep out invaders. We don’t need no stinking walls. 😉

22. stillers213 says:

The only sport I still watch is hockey. When they ruin that one I will be done altogether.

23. Eggs says:

ESPN reveals their opinion of the intelligence of their liberal audience. Of all the things for which the left are and could be offended, this isn’t going to be one them.

24. Tom Anderson says:

Could you imagine if this guy was white, and really WAS a descendant of Lee? There would be calls for lynching.

25. Q&A says:

OMG, where does this leave Sheila Jackson Lee? Maybe being black overrides the double diss of Jackson and Lee.

26. Rush Limbaugh said that before the Fairness Doctrine was rescinded it acted as an effective “hecklers veto” preventing radio broadcasters from airing controversial shows. As a result, non-controversial programming like gardening shows and sports talk were mainstays.

That was back when “sports talk” actually meant talking about sports: Scores, stats, trades, injury reports, and opinions about teams and players.

Now the SJW cancer has infected everything.

Can’t we just enjoy a ball game without politics and ideology intruding into EVERYTHING?

27. labrat says:

They’re not listening…..

28. Pauline says:

ESPN rears its racist liberal head once again!
    What utter nonsense. I hope Mr. Lee sues the
    hell out of ESPN and should he do that and
    win, that would be a middle finger to ESPN.
    Shades of another stupid man, Bob Costas!!

29. fakenoozisforfools says:

we regret that who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue.

Well, ESPN, how much regret can you have since it is your actions to remove Robert Lee from the scene thereby throwing gasoline on the fire you are so willing to stoke.?

• albrevin says:

Who even made it an issue? Were there really people (and I use that term lightly) who were wigging out knowing that Robert Lee was going to be announcing the UVA football game?

Talk about some really tortured souls in the leadership (and I use that term lightly too) at ESPN who internalized this and struggled over it. These kinds of strange people seem to be littered all over the corporate world. Can anyone imagine a Henry Ford or Jack Welch even giving something like this the time of day? I’m going to be dumping my Disney stock…. that place will implode at some point.

• sunnydaze says:

ESPN MADE this an issue. Not an issue at all, til they “collectively” decided to make it one.

30. ESPN executives summoning Lee to the Appomattox Courthouse to inform him of the decision was the final straw.

31. Bendix says:

They made this an issue, and they regret that this is an issue?
    Come on!
    Anybody working there who is actually bothered by this can’t be bothered too much, or they would be quitting in disgust instead of going along to get along.
    This is sick.

32. wolfmoon1776 says:

P S Y – O P .

Almost everybody will come to the conclusion that this is stupid. HOWEVER, they will not realize WHY it was done anyway. The folks behind it changed everybody’s brain, no matter what. That is the point.

The point is not that the OUTPUT value of the question “Is this a legitimate concern?” is NO.

The point is that they made almost all people load the ALGORITHM – the “sensitivity” question – into their heads.

P R O P A G A N D A .

T A V I S T O C K .

B R A I N W A S H I N G .

They want this “sensitivity” idea in people’s minds, even if they just say “It’s stupid.”

They knew most people would perceive it as stupid, but to render that decision, almost all of them will very briefly at some level ask the question “Could somebody be legitimately offended?”, thereby making people practice “sensitivity” about “Confederate”.

It’s mass “sensitivity training” – a nasty totalitarian (and particularly Marxist) method.

The best way to fight this stuff is to either fully ignore, or dig so deeply that you turn it into a weapon against them – make them PAY for using these techniques.

If everybody here does just a bit of research on Tavistock or Kurt Lewin, they pay.

My mother knew how to fight these people. Leftist teachers tried to introduce “sensitivity training” into public schools in the 1960’s, and when it came to our area, she immediately recognized what was going on. She went to the right people high up, and got it shut down before it even started.

Over-sensitivity is a HUGE weapon in these people’s arsenal, and they will “train with stupid” as often as it takes to create the target mental condition of “I might offend – check myself”.

This stuff also increases “race consciousness” of Asians, who the left is losing BIGLY.

• jeans2nd says:

Oh, amen to that, wolf. I’m OK You’re OK, Hug A Tree…
      Stock answer, especially if unfamiliar with the premise (Tavistock, etc) – “That’s just stupid.” Leaves them sputtering and speechless.

33. But if it’s pronounced Robert E Ree by so many Asians this is an exceptionally discriminatory decision by the Leftists at Disney/ESPN. (idea lifted from Mark Steyn on Rush’s broadcast today)

34. jephfree says:

if a confederate flag was on top the roof of a KIA it could be the genrawl reeeeeeeeeeeee!

35. WSB says:

Well, First off, the locals know the College of William and Mary now as ‘William and Larry’, so there’s that. It’s summer, so the snowflakes are all home hiding before they come back in the fall, and vote locally, turning Williamsburg into the Upper West Side. The students have completely ruined the city.

And then there is this!

Send to snowflakes!

36. Miss America says:

ICYMI: Paul Joseph Watson has linked to this article. WAY cool to know that PJW reads TCTH.

37. NewfTea says:

Is it any wonder that ESPN is going under?

38. Bugsdaddy says:

The only place this is even an issue is in some sponge soft liberals mind………

39. Buck says:

The funny thing is it wasn’t an issue at all until ESPN made it in the shoe what a bunch of……………..,

40. Vankoo says:

Tell the loonies to stuff it.

41. Mike diamond says:

No more Lee jeans just wranglers ! What no more Sara Lee pound cakes???no more Bruce Lee movies,!? No more Robert e Lee monuments!???? Wow! Its a mad mad world !!! The left has messed up big time !!!

42. hillbilly4 says:

The statement begins with ‘We collectively’ – which is exactly the problem. Group contagion is a dangerous thing when it subverts reason, logic and moral standards. ESPN is using this phrase because they hide behind the skirt of ‘collectivism’ – believing what they were taught in college – that somehow the collective group is superior to rational thought, sound moral guidelines and the integrity of the individual. In other words, ESPN is espousing Communism.