President Trump Proposes To Make Congress Feel Impacts of ObamaCare…

President Trump tweeted out earlier today that more “bailouts” for insurance companies should not be part of ongoing healthcare policy.  And in a remarkable and righteous aspect our President also implies that without legislative reform, bailouts (subsidies) to their own personal healthcare benefits could also be stopped.

Yes, approach this could mean congress would have to pay the full amount of their own health insurance costs, just like every other American who makes over $150k per year.

All President Trump needs to do is tell HHS Secretary Tom Price to change a rule initiated by the Office of Personnel Management during the Obama administration that allows members of congress to receive subsidies like DC small businesses.   That rule was a work-around to avoid legislation that required congress to join ObamaCare.

Members of congress, and their entire staff, exclusively get massive subsidies so they don’t have to feel the financial impacts of purchasing health insurance.   Losing those subsides just might get their attention – when their bloated staff start shouting in their ears.

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Decepticons, Dem Hypocrisy, Donald Trump, media bias, Obamacare, President Trump, Tea Party, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

469 Responses to President Trump Proposes To Make Congress Feel Impacts of ObamaCare…

1. Ad rem says:

One of the best books I read while in grad school….

2. JW request!

• Trumpmendous says:

I don’t know how this stuff works, but I’m pretty sure that if President Trump stops the exemptions that the 9th Circus Court of Appeals or some other court would put the kabash on his order. So, to preclude that, why doesn’t some enterprising attorney file a suit against the order allowing the exemption on the grounds that it is unconstitutional and have one of the Appeals Courts overturn that instead of the other way around. Would that work?

3. Enlightened Vulgarian says:

“It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.”

Mark Twain, from Following the Equator (1897)

4. georgiafl says:

5. Timmy-the-Ute says:

The media is already say the Pres. Trump is refusing to pay the subsidies to insurance companies that are required by law. But the subsidies are not required.

• Joshua2415 says:

The subsidies are illegal. They are by definition, against the law. A federal judge confirmed this last year when he sided with the House of Representatives when they sued Obama over the payments. Obama challenged the ruling and the judge allowed the payments to continue until the legal challenges were resolved. The case is still pending. All Trump & Sessions have to do is drop the challenge, follow the law, and the payments stop.

• Patriot Lady says:

And keep reminding everyone that back in 2010, 2011, 2012, the politicians were promising to repeal Obamacare– REPEAL Obamacare– and RETURN to the free-market system we had. It is only the past 2 years that the word “REPLACE” surfaced and reared its ugly head. The campaign promise of those lying scumbags was always REPEAL.
        That should be our battle cry: REPEAL & REPLACE!!

• Patriot Lady says:

So sorry—- REPEAL AND RETURN!! Repeal Obamacare & Return to our market-based system.

• Greyledge Gal says:

I think “replace” came along when Paul Ryan launched his “Better Way” campaign. I must always point out that he stole “better way” from the Robert Redford movie “The Candidate”. Redford’s character in the movie was named Bill McKay and his slogan was “Bill McKay – For a Better Way”.

• 6x47 says:

I was at a Trump rally: “Replace” was a sour note.

“Repeal …” = thunderous applause

“… and replace Obamacare” = applause diminishes noticeably.

• chbailey says:

Right. What’s “Replace”? To me ‘replace’ sounds like an amorphous directive for lobbyists to keep on writing more and more binders full of papers for their political sales staff. “Return” has a meaning, points to a direction.

6. not2worryluv says:

As a President Trump I say do it NOW and let the folks elected live with the exact same health care plan.

Take away their lifetime benefits as well. How many hard working Americans get a guaranteed golden parachute paid for by taxpayers after working for a company for only 5 years!

Drain The Swamp and take their life rafts away as well.

7. The Devilbat says:

Removing the possibility of bailouts for the insurance companies is the fastest way I can think of to kill off Obamacare. The insurance companies will have to instruct the RINO’s to fold Obamacare or they will become as insolvent as it is. Making politicians pay for their own healthcare is of course a nice, hard slap in the face. the alligators are not going to be at all happy.

8. John says:

I’m waiting for the CNN poll that shows 80% of Americans approve bailouts of Insurance companies as long as their tab is added to their childrens bill.

9. I think POTUS should do these things without talking about them ahead of time. Just do it, and talk later.

• Lack is not all says:

Great idea. Less talk before action , just like firing Comey.

• nimrodman says:

I’ll disagree.

If he just did it, without warning, the Press would be all up in arms about PresTrump’s “punitive and capricious action, taken with no warning or consultation with those affected”. The press would be railing. It would be non-stop.

By announcing the threat, PresTrump gets a narrative out in the press, and because his proposed action hasn’t happened yet, that narrative stays active in the press until he does take action.

That gives time for the narrative to be publicized and time for the electorate to hear about it and ponder.

The narrative they’ll ponder is:

“Wait … what? Congress got cut a special sweetheart deal on Obamacare?

“They get a special “BAILOUT”?

“Marco Rubio gets a $10,000 a year subsidy?

“Do I get $10,000 a year?”

… and so on. Gives a week or several to expose the issue into public awareness and perhaps foment public resentment and outrage.

And that’s just the general public. Health insurers also get forewarning that their bailout / subsidy may be tossed aside by PresTrump with simple application of his pen and phone, to repeat a phrase.

Which, in turn, gives them time to start squawking at their Congress-servants to fix it.

All of which places Congress in the position of using the only tool they have: enact legislation.

How popular do we think special bills go grant favored treatment for insurers and Congress itself will be? Treatment not afforded to the common people, the forgotten man, etc?

PresTrump seems to do very well at controlling the national narrative in many cases. Not all. But many.

Many of us want and would be delighted with punitive action first and talk later. But punitive first isn’t necessarily the smart play.

I’ll trust the President on this one.

• nimrodman says:

that’s special bills “to” grant favored treatment
        not “go” grant favored treatment

• WSB says:

So I hope there are a few Twitter warriers out there to tweet this to Marco.

I recieved this today. I can only think of what I and many other self employed NY’s will be facing this year, based on the announcement from Mr. Schreiber.

I have been paying $7200 per year, with decreasing plan coverage since Obamacare started. This is just one policy for one person. My deductable is now $6000. Last year, I only covered my expenses however there was no way I would ever get near those marketplace exchanges, opting to stay with my current private insurance plan, as unaffordable as it is. I am too afraid to even use my current plan,

Please, Marco, tell me why your insurance plan should be any different than mine? Your subsidies should be clawed back and at least put back into the treasury. As a government employee, you should be on the Marketplace only.

Or at least Email CTH to confirm my contact info, so you can just send me a check.

• Gil says:

I am so sorry you are now going through this. We have coverage through my husbands employer and I have been needing more things done. I cant imagine, yet, the stress you are experiencing.
          Until Congress and their staff feel the anguish and stress nothing will change. I hope POTUS does change the rule and shuts it down in October. They can all get the lumps of coal they deserve for Christmas.

• WSB says:

Thank you, Gil. I always feel luckier than most except for this last year…the squeeze is on.

Not even sure what to do…wish I had a health care savings account. Would have a lot of money in that account now.

• Gil says:

My mother is on an exchange and it’s the 5th time shes had to change in the past 8 years or so. Price jumps and changing coverage even in liberal California.
              I almost think youd have better luck winning the lottery and paying cash at this point, WSB. 😞

• LivLovely101 says:

So sorry for you- have you looked into one of those groups that you pay a few hundred a month to and if and when you need to use it, they pay the hospital/doctor for you?
          I think one is called Liberty Healthshare….don’t know much about them, but it can’t hurt to take a look!

• WSB says:

I guess it doesn’t hurt. And I am assuming that the mandate is still in place, so just pay the fine…

Thank you for the name. Will start doing some research!

• fuzzi says:

WSB, the mandate is not enforced. On this year’s taxes, I was facing a $2000 fine for my adult son’s lack of insurance (too old to be on mine, no income as he’s a FT student), but thanks to President Trump, the IRS added a check box “decline to answer” for the question about if everyone in your household has health insurance. I checked the box and no penalty was assessed on my return. Woo!

• WSB says:

Thank you for the info…I may just wing it for awhile, and do the same this year.

I was quietly hoping some of this would be in transition now. Oh, well. . .

• mztore says:

It appears that in many cases the fine would be less than the premiums and co-pay plus deductible.

• wondering999 says:

I have no experience with Liberty Healthshare, but when I went to look at it, Liberty appears to be a Mennonite ministry.
            Would welcome information from anyone who has used it. I have also looked at the organization that Katherine McCoun posted about (MediShare?)

I like the idea in principle; I do think that medical care is more appropriate as a ministry than a business; it’s here to lift people up in times of need, when usually incomes are low.

I’m about to visit an acupuncturist on Monday, someone who a local doctor had recommended to patients who could not take usual prescriptions for various reasons that made meds intolerable, dangerous or ineffective for them. I’ve used all sorts of different treatments and some are more effective for me than others… I like the idea of MAJOR MEDICAL insurance for disasters that require hospitalization, surgeries, things like that, while having the freedom to choose my own low-level practitioners.

Hopefully I never need surgery! But if I do, it’s good to have a decent hospital and top-notch care available (and I realize 24-hour care and scrupulous hygiene are expensive)

• ladypenquin says:

Congress should not be exempt from any law that they pass. It created a ruling class and is why we’re in this situation. I hope he goes ahead right now and stops these subsidies. Sec Price can do it. The bailouts can be stopped to. The monies dried up. Congress critters will be screeching – but the people despise Congress more than any other entity except the media – so there won’t be any sympathy forthcoming…

• Ummm…how would your scenario differ from how the press has behaved since last November’s election?

‘The press would be railing. It would be non-stop.’

• mztore says:

absolutely on target comment. Especially the last part :o)

• Kevin H says:

But this way, when Congress finally fixes health care, it will appear as though it only happened because Trump twisted their arms … in effect, reform wouldn’t have happened because of Trump. That’s a bigger prize.

• The Boss says:

Littleflower…See post “The Eagle Warns The Red Dragon”. Then it will be clear why President Trump tweeted first.

10. youme says:

The ACA explicitly does not require any individual or small employer to purchase health insurance through the exchanges and preserves markets for purchasing individual and small-group coverage outside the exchange (although premium tax credits and cost-sharing reduction payments are only available through the exchanges and individual states can limit the individual and small-group markets to the exchanges).

Only one group of Americans is required to purchase insurance through the exchanges: members of Congress and their personnel staffs (in Washington and in the districts, but not committee staff or other congressional employees).

11. youme says:

The proposed work around rule from OPM that Obama signed off on:

What’s in the rule? The proposed rule provides, as expected, that the federal government will pay a share of exchange premiums, 72 percent of the cost of the weighted average of Federal Employee Health Benefit Program (FEHBP) plans or 75 percent of the premium of the chosen plan, whichever is less. It clarifies a number of other issues as well. First, it clarifies that coverage through the exchanges for members of Congress and their personal staff will begin on January 1, 2014. Regular FEHBP coverage will terminate on December 31, 2013.

A second issue is who is covered by the provision. It clearly applies to members of Congress, although the question of how it applies to delegates from the territories is left open for comment, since the territories will not necessarily have exchanges. The requirement also applies to “employees employed by the official office” of a member of Congress, which is interpreted as meaning personal congressional staff as opposed to committee or leadership committee staff, or other employees of Congress. But congressional staff are, apparently, not always clearly assigned to one category or another.

The proposed rule would allow the employing office of each member absolute discretion to decide whether a particular staff member is designated as personal staff subject to the exchange purchase requirement, but once a designation is made it must be made for the entire year. It also must be made prior to October 1 for any given year so that staff members will be able to choose a plan during the annual open enrollment period (although there will be a 30-day grace period for the 2014 coverage year). There may be some room for manipulation in allowing members of Congress to designate which of their staff are subject to the rule, but presumably members will have ample incentives for designating staff as personal staff that will outweigh their desire to keep their staff out of the exchange.

Third, the rule clarifies that plans that are certified as qualified health plans by an exchange will also qualify as “health benefit plans” for FEHBP coverage. The federal government will, therefore, be able to make a contribution to cover a share of the premiums of an exchange plan.

Fourth, the proposed rule states that members of Congress and their personal staff will continue to qualify for their coverage through the exchange once they retire and will become annuitants under the same terms as other federal annuitants.

Fifth, the rule seems to say that the FEHBP self and family contribution levels will be used for determining federal contributions for coverage, even though premiums in the exchange will be determined based on the actual composition of a family (i.e. the number of adults and children in a family, up to three children).

Finally, members and staff subject to this rule will be able to make before tax payments for their share of the premiums for exchange coverage through salary reduction agreements, as can other federal employees. They will not be eligible for premium tax credits through the exchange if their FEHBP coverage is affordable.

12. youme says:

Two faced Boehner went right to work screwing the American people:

With the federal government nearing shutdown, House Speaker John Boehner stood on the House floor Monday and called on his colleagues to vote for a bill banning a “so-called exemption” that lawmakers and staffers receive for their health insurance.

“Why don’t we make sure that every American is treated just like we are?” Boehner asked, seeking to prohibit members of Congress and Capitol Hill aides from getting thousands of dollars in subsidies for their health insurance as they join Obamacare-mandated insurance exchanges.

Yet behind-the-scenes, Boehner and his aides worked for months with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), and others, to save these very same, long-standing subsidies, according to documents and e-mails provided to POLITICO. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) was also aware of these discussions, the documents show.

During a five-month period stretching from February to July, Boehner and his aides sought along with Reid’s office to solve what had become a big headache for both of them. They drafted and reviewed a possible legislative fix, as well as continued to push for an administrative one from the Office of Personnel Management.

• youme says:

OPM initially ruled that lawmakers and staffers couldn’t receive the subsidies once they went into the exchanges. This caused an uproar in Congress, since lawmakers and aides were going to be treated differently than millions of Americans who receive these same subsidies from their employers. Lawmakers and aides argued they weren’t seeking special treatment, but a level playing field with everyone else.

Under heavy pressure from Hill Democrats, Obama and top White House aides got personally involved in the dispute. OPM then reversed course and issued a regulation saying the subsidies would go on.

13. Lester Smith says:

The president is correct the only way to get congress to work for the people is to hit them where it counts. Only when they have to pay will anything be done. These scum bags only care about them self’s. And he needs to list all members who receive campaign money from the RX and insurance company’s and release it to the public.

14. Finally.
    President Trump – Check. Your move Congress.

15. Kathy says:

After this subsidy tweet, I’ll bet the August town hall meetings are gonna be lively.

• R-C says:

They won’t hold any. They’ll more likely go on a ‘fact-finding’ tour of Machu Picchu than face their voters. At this point, the voters will bring pitchforks, torches, tar and feathers. And the congress-critters KNOW it.

One of my favorite political memories of all time is that time when Arlen Specter met his voters in PA. They roasted him. They BLASTED him. He stood there, stunned & pale, stammering “N–now…now…now…wait a minute…” as constituents let him have it, “both barrels”. They then turned him out of office.

That’s a situation that each and every congress-critter needs to face when it comes to this health care DEBACLE that they have all been complicit in foisting on the rest of us.

16. Donna in Oregon says:

I love our President’s sense of humor. This is good stuff. Classic: Carrot. Stick. Carrot. Stick. For Paul Ryan….Shillelagh Fighting Stick…..Lucky Charms.

Naw, for Paul Ryan no charms, just the stick!

I think America is tired, must be time to watch Intellectual Froglegs again.

17. 4430lacey says:

Now I’m starting to enjoy this. the last 6 months have been a roller coaster, but it seems Trump is ready to stop playing Mr Nice and start playing politics,…. I want butter on that popcorn.

18. R-C says:

In this scene, President Trump is played by Kurt Russell. Congress is played by Billy Bob Thornton.

19. sDee says:

Politicians at all levels live well off wealth transfers from those who produce.

It is not only the cost of premiums that need to be made a concern of the political elite – what they need to fear is being pushed down into the lower tier of the central healthcare system, that we now find ourselves in.

For those not in the healthcare/hosptital provider professions, the regulatory and monopolistic conversion of our once-free-market system into centralized lower tier healthcare, is already well entrenched.

All regimes protect themselves from this. We and Trump needs to make them fear it.

20. sDee says:

“Eat your own dogfood”, Washington.

21. Joan calhoun says:

Thanx objcam, for releasing list of Trump accomplishments. sending out to my friends.

22. tjandersen says:

Trump is going in the right direction. All of the filthy, criminal Congress should be put on obamacare. It will get resolved quickly. Quickly. We are in a predicament similar to the old Soviet Union where the elite ruling class fVcks the citizens.