The U.S. building industry is a manufacturing sector made up of individual smaller material sectors.  Steel rebar is one such sub-sector.

WILBUR ROSS – U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross today announced the affirmative final determination in this antidumping duty (AD) investigation, finding that steel concrete reinforcing bar from Taiwan is being sold in the U.S. market at unfair prices.

The Commerce Department determined that exporters from Taiwan have sold steel concrete reinforcing bar in the United States at 3.50 percent to 32.01 percent at less than fair value based on factual evidence provided by the interested parties.

The Commerce Department will instruct U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to collect cash deposits from importers of steel concrete reinforcing bar from Taiwan based on these final rates.

“The United States can no longer sit back and watch as its essential industries like steel are destroyed by foreign companies unfairly selling their products in the U.S. markets,” said Secretary Ross. “We will continue to take action on behalf of U.S. industry to defend American businesses, their workers, and our communities adversely impacted by unfair imports.”

In 2016, imports of steel concrete reinforcing bar from Taiwan were valued at an estimated $53 million.

The Rebar Trade Action Coalition filed the case with the Commerce Department on behalf of its individual members:

• Byer Steel Group, Inc., Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Commercial Metals Co., Irving, Texas
  • Gerdau Armisteel U.S., Inc., Tampa, Fla.
  • Nucor Corp., Charlotte, N.C.
  • Steel Dynamics, Inc., Pittsboro, Ind.

Enforcement of U.S. trade law is a prime focus of the Trump administration. From January 20, 2017, through July 21, 2017, Commerce has initiated 54 antidumping and countervailing duty investigations – a 40 percent increase from the previous year. For the same time period in 2016, Commerce had initiated 40 antidumping and countervailing duty investigations.

Antidumping laws provide U.S. businesses and workers with an internationally accepted mechanism to seek relief from the harmful effects of dumping unfairly priced products into the United States. Commerce currently maintains 404 antidumping and countervailing duty orders which provide relief to American companies and industries impacted by unfair trade.

The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) is conducting an investigation to determine whether or not the domestic industry is harmed by imports of steel concrete reinforcing bar from Taiwan. The ITC is currently scheduled to make its final injury determination on or before September 5.

If the ITC makes an affirmative final injury determination, Commerce will issue an antidumping order. If the ITC makes a negative final injury determination, the investigation will be terminated and no order will be issued.  Click HERE for a fact sheet on today’s decision.  (link)

This entry was posted in Economy, Trade Deal, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

145 Responses to U.S. Commerce Dept. Issues Affirmative anti-Dumping Duty Determination on Taiwanese Rebar…

1. The Devilbat says:

What a difference to Obama’s anti American communist regime.

2. Sylvia Avery says:

Well, it rebar sure ain’t sexy, but Wilbur kinda is! Everytime I see that picture of him purposefully buttoning his jacket, I feel a little bit like Superman has just flown in and is adjusting his cape. This is pretty exciting.

• piper567 says:

I agree, Sylvia. I love that picture. Looks like he just dusted his hands off, and while he is walking away, he’ saying, Next !
      Love me some Wilburine !

• Charlie says:

Business plan of this magnitude and scope doesn’t just happen. PT cabinet is moving at warp speed and all fronts. Tillerson and Mattis are an unbelievable fit!
      Glad this week is over! Working and trying to keep up here is daunting, blurry eyed.

• Sylvia Avery says:

I know what you mean about the blurry eyes! I agree, they put this plan together well in advance and have been working on it for who knows how long

When I hear how things were before in the area of Commerce and Trade, it is kind of scandalous. It is like no one was minding the shop. It makes me feel like crying. This country was plundered.

This crew has turned things around practically on a dime. I can hardly believe it.

• setup2100 says:

Having a successful businessman, yes he is wealthy, sure makes a huge difference than a politican in that position. He actually understands Business rather than how to get reelected.

• 4sure says:

Beinga amale, Sylvia, I’m curious as to why why you find Wilbur sexy? If he were Tom Cruise looks, I would not be asking.

• Sylvia Avery says:

Good question. If I had to analyze it, I guess I’d have to say it is his brain power and competence. Those are really appealing qualities.

• maiingankwe says:

I absolutely love our Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross. Weeks ago I was professing my love and adoration for this man, and my twelve year old daughter ribbed me by asking if I loved him more than Daddy. Of course not was my reply.

It is hard for me to describe how I feel about this man, but I know my love for him is true and solid. I don’t find him attractive whatsoever, he’s definitely not my cup of tea in the looks department, but I love his mind, tenacity, and his love for our country and his high level of respect for his employees, no matter their job description. He’s like a cuddly grandfather figure to me, except I would never ever want to cross him or make him angry or even disappointed in me. I would want to prove to him to him my worthiness in any job I was doing for him if he was my boss. I think he has that affect on his employees too, so I don’t think I’m the only one.

He is also a man I could listen to for hours and hours whereas his specialty in commerce would’ve put me to sleep quickly by any other. I get upset if a video clip of him ends after only 28 minutes, it is nowhere near enough for me. Now if Reince spoke for that amount of time, I would be wondering when it would ever end. I can only handle listening to him in small increments.

All of us ladies have different tastes in our men, so I can only speak for me. I hope this helps a bit in understanding how some of us ladies think.

Thank you for your patience in my very long explanation in why I love and adore our Wilbur Ross.
        Stay smiling,
        Ma’iingankwe

• Can I nominate you for Ivanka’s team?

• no-nonsense-nancy says:

I remember his conformation hearing and watching his much younger wife sitting behind him. You would think, ” sure, he is a billionaire” But her eyes were on him every minute of the hearings with such love and admiration. It may seem like a small thing but to me that spoke mountains.

3. Wend says:

I just love that Wilburine.

4. citizen817 says:

All countries currently trading with the USA are now being “put on notice”…NO MORE! No more unfair practices shall be tolerated by this administration. No more cutting prices to under book value of your products. Rebar, is just one of many products sold here, that will soon feel the vice tightened…on their export game.

5. progpoker says:

Dayum! Winning never looked so good. Is anyone tired of it yet??

6. emet says:

Some Japanese companies got hit eith over 200% duties. CBP does not exactly collect “cash deposits”, rather the estimated duty is paid in before the shipment is released. So, back when we had US Customs, and it was under Treasury, and there were lots of people versed in trade enforcement, they would be looking for transshipment, or new manufactuers of the same product, or other scams to evade the AD duty.

• Sylvia Avery says:

That is interesting.

• usayes says:

“there were lots of people versed in trade enforcement” – so very true emet! Unfortunately not the case today IMHO. The Wilburine and the Acting Customs Commissioner need to address this. Customs does most of the heavy lifting here regarding the enforcement and effectiveness of these orders.

This antidumping stuff can be dull as dishwater, but the framework has been around for decades and has enormous MAGA potential if the tool is correctly and EFFECTIVELY administrated.

• WSB says:

Does that mean this is a clawback method?

• emet says:

Trying to collect AD or CV duty on entries that have already been liquidated is challenging. Let’s say an importer imports a product subject to AD duty at 100%. He might evade the duty by telling his customhouse broker to misclassify it under a similar, but not exactly the same tariff number, say at 2% duty. If the fraud is detected, the prior entries are subject the the AD duty. But…when he filed those entries he was allowed to use a surety (bond) for 5 or 10% of the value. So the demand on the surety goes nowhere, and the demand on the importer goes nowhere. Unless there is something to put a lein against. I think there was AD duty against Korean steel in the 70s early 80s, much of it uncollected

7. TONYA PARNELL says:

I have to wonder if the Taiwan rebar is sub standard to ours, never know

• KBR says:

I missed your comment, and commented down below.

There is an old but interesting link showing that China rebar was indeed substandard in 2011. I was not able to locate any article that claimed any improvement in rebar quality imported from either China or Taiwan since that 2011 article.

• gsonline2 says:

Wondering the same thing. It’s easier to make, say, clothes a lot cheaper using cheap labor, but rebar is rebar. Or is it?

• WSB says:

All specificarions can be altered. This is how Truman got noticed years ago. Our own steel manufacturers were skimming specs on steel. He exposed it and went after the offenders.

Also, remember the Chinese drywall fiasco? I believe we are still cleaning that up.

8. scully7 says:

My hubbie is a boilermaker, there are two things he used to say he hated, architects and chinese steel, I appreciate this post. this stuff is really hard for the tradies who are building things to work with, It often requires so much more time and effort to work with.
    We used to get steel and its other products from NSW, best steel ever, now we ship it from the Northern Hemisphere to the Southern Hemisphere and it s an inferior product, all to the glory of globalism.
    Architects, well they have some crazy styles, but he was the one who had to try and build it, but that’s another story

9. America’s most successful businessmen and negotiators, those “horrible people you wouldn’t want to have dinner with,” are now working for us.

This announcement comes on the Friday of “Made in America Week.” Our whole country is waking up.

Not tired of winning!

• mireilleg says:

Not tired of winning I concur, but America waking up? Not yet. We see one small segment of population reading these pages. I am surrounded by a few awaken Americans, several who do not want to talk or hear about politics and a lot of liberals. I try to awaken as many as I can but sometimes (frequently) it’s like banging your head against a wall.

• sobriquet4u says:

Same here but I keep slipping up on them and spouting things they need to hear. I have become a one line poster on comment threads on different news sites regardless of the subject. I will “Paul Revere” these fools to death if that’s what it takes.

• mireilleg says:

I do as much as I can as well.

• LafnH2O says:

sobriquet4u,

Drip, drip, drip. 😁

Keep “Johnny Appleseed’n” em.
          An Army of one!! 🇺🇸

“Use what talents you possess; the woods (treehouse) would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.” – Henry Van Dyke .
          ( mine )

• Dixie says:

Amen, LaughinWaters……..Love your name!

• LafnH2O says:

Thanks, Dixie.
              Came from friends.
              Kickapoo tribe, Illinois. Couldnt pronounce it in the native, if I had too. Lol
              Laughing Water, refers to the sound of a babbling brook.
              Spent a lot of time as a kid in the woods, down by the “crick”. If you were looking for me…. that’s were I’d be. 😁
              Contained by nature, yet happily on my way… to who knows where?

Beautiful fur baby ya got there!! 🐕

• It’s not going to happen all at once, but compare where we are now to 2015, when many of us had no hope at all. I’m surrounded by people like you describe also. It’s funny how they never argue against any concrete policy, they just attack the President using labels (“Trump is a ____,” etc.).

We’re going to need a bigger wall.

10. Jedi9 says:

Excellent! So glad that you are covering this topic Sundance, as an active American Business man in Asia, I find all of this information in real time relevant and contributing to my staying in the now as I negotiate several business ventures involving US interests! I am starting to see the effects here in Asia as news of negotiations with the Chinese continues! Loving it! Keep up the good work!

• Peter says:

Jedi9 – interesting. I am sure I and others would enjoy your take on how Trumps trade policies impact your negotiations. Please post updates in the presidential daily thread!!

• mireilleg says:

Most definitely!

• Jedi9 says:

I will try, as things develop. I have to be careful though so I navigate carefully not to breach NDA’s.

• SpanglishKC says:

I would be interested in posts about wht changes you are seeing. Non-specifics. Broad strokes. How their views of Americans, US goverment, etc. Nothing that would jeopardize NDA’s or even tip off what products or services

• Jedi9 says:

You bet!

It is very much a fluid situation currently. The recent developments is having an effect on the Psychology of Asian partners in terms of their projections and future strategic planning that has been recently discussed in meetings I have attended. This much I am already seeing as markets in focus is China where a recent shift from American exports is now waning. Amazingly, many are already acknowledging that getting products to the US is going to be more expensive and so getting ahead of the curve in trying to exploit the Chinese market as opposed to the US is where many are seeing demand will increase for Chinese Imports where marketing resources are going to be put to use.

We have certain clients who are huge exporters of raw materials particularly Steel and copper and a lot that I have been hearing with Australian counter parts who play a big role in the mining industry in exporting those raw materials to China of cutting production. This is of interest to me because lately the Australian Dollar has been on a bullish run against the USD, and JPY and mining is a huge part of Australia’s economy. So what I am watching for is the price of iron and copper, as it relates to demand and China’s manufacturing output. A lot of European companies do business with China in terms of those materials, and is no surprise that China is ramping up their rhetoric on the virtues of Globalism as they seek a deeper foothold with the EU by renegotiating their trade agreements for better tax incentives.

Another element of our business is in capital and asset management, where our ABC clients, (American Born Chinese) who have several invested interests in real estate development and Joint venture particularly in manufacturing projects are now in a fury to sell mode. This more than anything else has picked up dramatically in the last 8 months as many are looking to diversify to protect their wealth by transferring it outside of China.
            Also lot of flight of wealth going to Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the US from mainland China is also taking place with our Chinese based clients, as the Chinese Government in recent times are desperately trying to implement new mechanisms to slow or stop this from continuing by using the banks to implement more measures of control of the flow of capital. This has been a very big problem with a lot of our clients, and so a SPV has to be created using HK jurisdiction to counter these types of obstacles. We are a private equity company, so we are not bounded by the same rules as banks which is why business has been really picking up lately.

Lastly, after speaking with a couple of friends just a few days ago who are still living in mainland China (particularly Americans) have been sharing with me the shift in attitudes towards foreigners (Laowai’s) from pro nationalists Chinese where certain recent cases of spitting, conflicts, fights, and swearing at foreigners has been increasing lately. The Chinese government has been aggressive in banning a lot Western media recently, such as targeting Gay content on the internet, certain sites like Youtube, Skype, and others, (Justin Beiber was recently banned from performing in China) and it is highly anticipated that VPN’s will altogether be banned by February 2018 as many VPN’s currently has been sabotaged or internet service is being interrupted. All this has been happening since February of this year.

I will give you guys more info as it becomes available.

• SpanglishKC says:

That was incredible ineteresting. Trump has really upset the apple cart / gravy train.

Interesting how ultra-nationalist Chinese are ok with them getting all the benefits. As soon as someone says “i’d like some dim sum too” they lose all perspective.

Thanks for the insight.

• Jedi9 says:

You bet!

Sundance is right when he says it is a zero sum game for the Chinese. The best strategy in negotiating with the Chinese is to convince them that they are winning the negotiations, this way they feel that that are not losing face. In other words use their own game against them, and you will win every time.

Anyway, I am very much keeping an eye on things here to see where Trump goes next with this, but I am liking what I am seeing so far as the negotiations continue!

11. elize says:

As I told my husband earlier this evening, while discussing this weeks events….finally real men with gonads in charge!

12. A2 says:

Reportedly, the steel dumping discussion between the US and China at the CED went on for over an hour (not reported in the press). The argument has to be made on economic grounds not ‘national security’ per WTO rules. Unless the President wants to color outside the lines.

This should get interesting.

• kp3ace says:

It is a security (safety) issue as well. If I walk into a building that uses an inferior steel product forced on us because of “trade deals”, isn’t that putting me at risk?

• mimbler says:

Yes, but building codes specify materials, and if American companies buy chinese products that do not meet those specifications, they should be prosecuted.

I’m all for good trade deals, but we can also help the situation by applying laws already on the books.

Another law I’d like to see more rigorously enforced is employing illegals. If we started imprisoning employers for that, the practice would dry up overnight, and be a great aid in reducing illegal immigration,
        Mike

• kp3ace says:

I’d love to see the contractors who hire illegals that work for our federal government go down in flames. I got tired of helping those illegals send that money to Mexico.

13. tampa2 says:

I’m curious how “fair value” is determined. Is it some global averaging formula?

14. litlbit2 says:

Someday I would like to see the math in computing cost when adding material, labor, fuel, manufacturing, labor, overhead, liability, transportation etc how you can ship product from Pittsburgh to Denver or TW to Denver and it be cheaper from TW.
    I did not think over the road trucks were so expensive without even considering insurance and upkeep compared to a ship!

• allhail2 says:

But, once it’s off the ship, it’s put on rail for long haul or truck for shorter. After rail, it often goes by truck to distributer if they are not on a rail line. I’m with you, I’d love to see the total cost breakdown.

• livlovely101 says:

I would like to see the labor costs; they probably pay them peanuts.

• usayes says:

Bingo.

• LafnH2O says:

Less than, on many cases.
            The “Independent” Owner Operators, are being squeezed, squeezed, crushed!
            There are a group of major carriers (Swift, Werner, Schneider, JB Hunt and others) who have grouped together to capture market share. They “provide” transportation at low rates. Very low. They have training programs for drivers thst basically check the boxes required by the gubment, take the $$ from the students and start another class on the following Monday. Imo
            And they get $$ from the gubment to do it.
            Incentive, I think they call it, in some circles.
            Some “graduates” are able to get the gist of it; most have been too busy checking their fb page to have gotten the finer points of maneuvering a 80,000 vehicle.
            Car 2500lbs –
            fully loaded big truck 80,000lbs.
            30x + times as heavy!!
            Or stated differently…
            Loaf of bread –
            5 gallon bucket of water!
            Set a 5 gallon bucket of water on top of a loaf of bread….
            Think about that the next time you cut off a truck!!!!
            To get to burger king ahead of the car behind you!!!!
            With your kids In the car!!!
            Please, think about it!!!
            PLEASE!!!
            —-
            Not to disparage the “newbies” .. the deck is stacked against them.
            The carriers need new drivers that don’t know what they are in for, to haul these discounted loads.
            The regulations on driving time, work time, “Sleep” time are there to benefit the shippers, carriers, and consignees. Not the drivers.

A contract is made to get a load from A (shipper) to B (consignee- reciever).
            Truck scheduled to arrive A 0800 Monday. Truck …(DRIVER) to deliver 0800, 2200 miles away NLT 1200 Thursday, two time zones ahead if them.
            Shipper takes 6 hours to load. Driver is not paid a single peanut.
            NLT time still stands!!!
            Don’t care!!!
            Wonder why so many truck drivers are driving like their hair is on fire?
            If you can’t get the loads there on time, you’re a BAD driver, and they will make you SIT in a truck stop for a day or two until your attitude changes or you go broke. Your choice.
            Wonder why the retention rate for drivers is at or near 100%. Will provide link if needed!!
            And if you miss your appointment by any appreciable time, big $$$ to reschedule (nickel), or come back tomorrow (driver no nickel).
            If the receiver has a union that requires “them” to offload the truck, it could cost hundreds of dollars (nickel). If the driver is responsible to offload $50 and perhaps hours staking and breaking down pallets to make it easier for the receiver (nickel) to inventory..by automation.
            Rinse repeat.
            Many of the drivers are paying the mortgage, the car and other bills. Calling home, staying on top of things and battling the Big carriers (small ones too), working 14 hr days, sleeping in the truck on the side if the road ( plenty of parking at the truck stops..right. pffft.. at noon when the do there surveys, yep. Try going at midnight… good luck!!
            They dont need no stinking competition (nickel).

Thanks for listening
            Rant off

• LafnH2O says:

Sorry forgot…
              Guess who has a contract and receives a discount on fuel when x number of gallons are purchase each month at particular truck stops!!!
              (Nickel)

• Dixie says:

Truck drivers have always had my utmost respect. They get the right of way because I have a great deal of empathy for them. It’s in my DNA because my father owned trucks. As indicated by your 5 gallon bucket of water on a loaf of bread, never pass them on a curve either.

• LafnH2O says:

At least not on the “right side”.
                And curves are tricky for a 70′ vehicle. The front is near one line, the back near the other.
                I know an old adage was to make sure the driver sees you in the mirror. That’s good advise. And we “should be” checking regularly. Probably have noticed a car near or approaching from guite a ways. There’s a lot going on though. And its hard to stare down drivers in the “West Coast ” mirrors (the long ones on the side) when it takes a fully loaded Big Rig 100 yds… yes… 100 yds (a football field, the length of an Air Craft carrier), to come to a complete stop @ 60 -65 mph.
                It’s a whole nuther ballgame sitting up that high. We see things that keep us smh and talking to ourselves. Lol
                Honestly, I am surprised there aren’t more “problems” in traffic. From up on high, sometimes it looks like complete madness. You’d be surprised what we can see.. that a 4 wheeler (a car has 4 wheels) can’t.
                Last thing, folks…
                It ain’t NASCAR out there… please don’t “draft” us. Stay back or pass. Whatever. Many get right on our A$$ (trying to get the newbies and the Jim Bobs, to stop this as well, sigh 😕)and use the phone, eat, or cuz their tired or follow cuz it’s raining or what have you.
                Bad place to be, if we have to stand on em’!!! Remember up to 100 yds!!
                One last… request/thought..
                We are not out there just driving around.
                We’d (well most if us lol) rather be home with the family or fishin or a a kids bball game.
                We are delivering, in some form, the very society and conveniences we all enjoy.
                Everything comes on a truck. Even trucks come on trucks.
                I don’t deliver milk and bread to the store.. but I’m glad someone is.
                It’s a different world out here. It gets in your blood. But we have to balance “civilized America” with “what do you mean, you ran outa milk and bread
                Tough job, but we love it.
                Be safe..
                Give us some room..
                Give yourself an out. Sh!t happens fast…

Hey, westbound..
                There’s a bear on the shoulder at yardstick 214 with a customer, they were Rollin ya thru at the westbound chicken coop lol (scalehouse) and ya got a baby bear sitting in the middle at the 244. That’s all I seen… since coming out OKC.
                This is LafnH20, and we gone!
                Keep the shiny side up, the rubber side down and ur powder dry!!

• Dixie says:

Had to go back to one of our earlier comments as there was no room below: Here is what I think you wanted.

• mireilleg says:

If Amazon can get $1.46 of tax payer money for each package it sends, then I’m sure that they can have a payback too for shipping so far.

• LafnH2O says:

BNSF motto ” We will deliver”
        Imo they for got one word…
        Eventually!!
        Just in time (JIT) freight is all the rage.
        No need to pay for big warehouses (nickel) .. just get it there in the nick of time. NLT!!
        Guess who leases or OWNS their own rail cars and engines? (Nickel)
        Fresh, frozen and otherwise time sensitive products don’t go by rail.
        Paper, coal, as soon as readable, etc goes by rail. Oh and ” Sea containers” from say, oh, I don’t know, TW.

• snellvillebob says:

It’s people in Taiwan don’t get free medical insurance, pensions, work with less regulations that they cost so much less to hire that they they can afford the extra in shipping.
      But it also can be a lower price to destroy the domestic market here then they can jack up their prices when the last producer stops.
      It is what President Trump ran in to when he wanted the pipeline pipe made in the USA and found out there is no longer a producer of that type of tubing made of that type of steel here.

15. Donna in Oregon says:

Yeah! Made in America. Finally fair trade!

16. ABC says:

Wibur and PTrump have to tell the US people OFTEN what they are doing.
    Many fireside chats on Fox will do it.
    No good helping the steel industry if 30 second attention span America never heard of it.

• louche9 says:

Not so much 30 second attention span as people have to search to find it. Every time I read one of Sundance’s posts re PT’s success in helping American manufacturing, I ask my (English) stepson whether he’s heard anything about it, as a test of the MSM. He is an intelligent, switched-on news follower, but he is much more liberal than I am. He reads (British) Telegraph, (British) Guardian, Google News, Real Clear Politics. If there is anything about Comey, Muh Russia, or the latest “Trump scandal,” he knows it as soon or sooner than I do. Anything like this, he’s invariably never heard about it. Any success President Trump has is not being widely reported.

17. Flightmedic16 says:

Winning!!! I am still not tired of all of this. MAGA

18. KBR says:

I would be willing to bet that the rebar in question is not only price-dumped, but substandard in quality.

Meaning that using it for infrastructure and building weakens the building or the infrastructure.

If that rebar deteriorates faster, things collapse sooner.

19. Brant says:

Is US covering several bases here? 1. A sort of nod to China? 2. Are the manufactures part of Chamber of Commerce (the workers will like Trump?) End around of Donahue? 3. End around Trumpka via the workers? Hope I had spellings correct.

Just need to get the word out. But I guess if workers getting more hours and new workers, they’ll tell 5 friends, and they’ll tell 5 friends……wasn’t that a commercial?

• bekfl says:

It was a shampoo commercial….

• fleporeblog says:

Brant all your comments have hit the nail on the head! Hell with the bosses. This is about the workers and the overtime they need to keep up with the demand. The new employees needed etc. The word about how this would never happen without our President is spreading like a wild fire.

• LafnH2O says:

To hell with the “Bosses!!”
        Rat Bastards!
        Me likey 🇺🇸

I’d do a lot more liken
        But me no like cookies…
        Guess that’s why I got the nickname..
        “20 character password boy!” lol.. so
        Like, like, like.. in advance

20. Brant says:

What is/are the time parallels of a Trump tweet storm and release of news like this? He probably knows the media and their handlers would go berserk, “We’re all gonna die!!!!!” if it was the only news out. Trump knows these things are the right thing to do and doesn’t want the static. So, he tweets to provide smoke cover. He doesn’t care what DC or the NY/DC navel gazing corridor thinks of him. The workers will reward him and they are the only ones that matter to him…… 🙂 bigly.

21. Brant says:

Sorry, my own comment storm here. Trump does get you thinking. Doing these things may also be a way of putting daylight between individual plant/line/product managers and their multi national bosses. Plant/line managers do live in the same general geographic area as their workers. Head dudes way far away. And later then daylight between head dudes and DC/chamber of commerce/Trumpka.

Riding the Trump train is like going white water rafting. Sometimes it’s calm and placid, other times it’s class 3&4 rapids. I know some of my comments may have been troll like. It’s probably times of 3/4 rapids. I think a lot of Treepers get this way. And we all have different times of hanging on for dear life (thus troll like comments). I don’t think any of us have ever experienced this type of administration. The closest being probably Reagan. I was 14 when he first elected.

22. ConservoChiro says:

So much winning!!! Don’t worry, the left will find some way to turn this win into a negative. Probably like how the world doesn’t like the USA anymore. Too bad!!! We will no longer be the world’s benefactor.

23. gary says:

I can understand Trump Team wants to make it so USA people and companies buy USA products, but on import won’t the prices of the products we buy as consumers go up in time, since these 3rd world countries sell it so cheap?

So instead of TV being 200 dollars it could eventually raise to 400 dollars.

This is just the beginning of the process, so we might not see prices on everything go up, but after 2 years or 4 years we could see prices go way up. Yes, some products will be made in USA, and some not, but Trump will raise the prices on the imports to match 400 dollar price, right?

I’m all for Made in America and American Jobs, but will the voters revolt if they see the prices go through the roof? Again we will not see the effects for 2-4 years.

I’m thinking long term here.

• LafnH2O says:

I agree, Gary.
      As an example, just how many tv’s does the average home need. With personal devices and the like.
      Garages and storage units (nickel) across America are stuffed with “old”, keepin up with the Jones, well, stuff!
      I buy QUALITY only. Lasts for ever.
      I park the cars in the garage, go to the local watering hole for the Big games etc, and rent the boat/rv for the holidays/vaca’s.
      Considering the monthly debt service (nickel) to keep this kinda stuff sitting around 48 wks a year, an equitable trade off, imo.

• fleporeblog says:

Gary he is as well! The economy will be booming at 4%+ GDP. Salaries taking off. That will offset the concerns.

24. DanDeplorable says:

REAL MEN are in charge of the USA at last. MAGA!

25. Minnie says:

Excellent 👍

Did America ever deal with the imported Sheetrock that caused so many health problems?

A newly constructed high end apartment complex near my office recently stripped and replaced ALL Sheetrock due to black mold, displacing over 50 families.

26. 4sure says:

Can someone address this for me.

As we start reducing the unfair dumping and trade practices which will increase prices for goods, will americans start whining and putting pressure on pols. to do something to help lower prices. We know that we have half the country who want free stuff. I know that in the long run, it will benefit all, but americans have a very short attention span and don’t think long term.

How will higher prices for goods and services affect those living on fixed income such as myself and most of my family/friends.. Those getting welfare? What are the unintended consequences? I have not seen this addressed or I missed it.

I know some smarter than me treeper has an answer. Thanks, in advance.

• KittyKat says:

This question came up during the campaign, and Trump responded, but I can’t remember what he said. Maybe someone else can.

• fleporeblog says:

4sure great question! We put a massive tariff on Canadian lumber recently. There are not enough houses for Americans to buy. Houses are being built again in record numbers (TY President Trump). Wood is needed throughout construction. Buying American is more expensive but I haven’t heard a single complaint. Actually the opposite about the construction boom. These tariffs aren’t going to hurt someone like you that may need a single 2×4. The homeowners are excited to get their new home. The seller marks it up a few extra thousand dollars and more importantly the US company is booming from the demand.

It will only effect Americans when the day to day items from China are gone. However, Americans will realize it is for the greater good to stop NK from killing all of us.

• LafnH2O says:

Buyers are price sensitive.
        And hemmed in by the $ leading % and availability.
        The builders will have to give downward guidance.
        Their P/E ratio might go down. But, that may be a good thing, in the long run.
        Imo

• piper567 says:

flepore,
        there is already a huge retail adjustment going on due to online shopping, many brick-and-mortar closings.
        It is fair to think this frenzy caused by cheap and tawdry Chinese goods will be another level of this adjustment?
        What will Dollar Tree or Dollar stores do when Chinese caca is no longer available, or do you think this junk will stop or be reduced.?
        These cheap outlets actually afford people with needed items such as school supplies. How do you think people will react to the reductions in these types of markets?
        Speculation on how these markets may be viably replaced?

• fleporeblog says:

Piper567 many of those items will begin to be produced here! The ramifications of our Energy Independence will be the talk of historians 50 to 75 years from now. The reduction in cost of fuel will allow American Manufacturers to produce those items and can be sold at a similar price. Even if a quarter or fifty cents more, Americans will be so happy that Americana has come back.

Energy Independence is going to be the driving force of MAGA!

• KittyKat says:

I think the focus should be on producing quality; most people will be more than willing to pay more for items that are well made, of lasting materials, and that work. In the long run that saves money even if the initial price is higher.

27. KittyKat says:

When Candidate Trump, during a campaign speech, described how the wall would be constructed, rebar was a major element. I wonder if this trade move is somehow connected to the construction of the wall.

28. WSB says:

SD, thank you for posting this. So much to chew on in your post and links.

I am amazed by the statistics on page two of the fact sheet. The dumping increased off the charts from 2014 to 2016. Is there any knowledge as to how this occurred? I cannot but think that our own Customs leadership and the ITC knew about this or actually facilitated this invasion. And was this direct ship or through Mexico/NAFTA? How many other countries are doing the same thing?

If our own regulatory bodies were facilitating or were rendered inactive (weopanized), that certainly would be criminal on so many levels. Not to mention any substandard product being admitted on site and installed in buildings/infrastructure.

• LafnH2O says:

They thought Da beast was gonna win.
      No consequences expected.

• emet says:

Customs moved away from enforcement of anything in the early 90s, after the departure of Commissioner Van Rabb. By the late 90s Customs had created programs to give Congress and others the illusion if enforcement (eg stratified compliance exams). By the time of DHS, this unfortunate trend picked up speed. Some inspectors/officers were even reprimanded for putting cases together for seizure/penalty. As the “enforcers” retired or were pushed aside, the key positions went to the magicians who could make it appear that the Agency was doing its job. Along with this was a growth in corruption that was astounding. For example, Winkowski became commissioner even though for years he coerced female subordinates into participating in group sex. The Miami Herald reported on some of these fepredations. Then Mayorkos was appointed Dep. Sec of DHS. He has publicly admitted trying to arrange a pardon on behalf of a drug trafficking organization for a $200,000 payment to the Clintons. Here is a man with important border security responsibilities and he has a working relationship with drug traffickers! Well, there is more to this. But Customs is in bad shape, for sure,

• WSB says:

OMG! Every time a leaf is turned over, we find Pandora!

• mimbler says:

I wonder if there is a single federal agency actually doing what it was mandated to do. All these agencies that are not enforcing their regulations are making it impossible for honest people because they compete against people who break the rules with impunity.

So the honest people have to get out of the business or break the rules themselves to compete. It adds to the corruption of business and government,

• emet says:

Calif is worst. If you are a small business owner you cannot comply, because there is conflict between different agencies’ regulations. And sometimes nobody knows what they mean. Honest business people just make a business decision whether or not to try and comply. A lot of it is just about gouging businesses too small to defend themselves. I will never run another business in Calif. Plus a labor dept official demanded a bribe

• mimbler says:

Yes, to me the sign of a corrupt country is one with so many regulations you can’t comply or can’t compete if you do comply, so you need to bribe someone.

29. RedBallExpress says:

Now I know why rebar is half price at Menards.

30. Y2K says:

Good news but how is this different than China, etc making cheap goods and selling to Walmart destroying American manufacturers by doing so?

• G. Combs says:

It is not.

Bill Clinton pushed through and got ratified the World Trad Organization. THEN he got China into the WTO.

HOWEVER there was stipulations put in by congress which Trump can now use.

It is this point:
      “….The U.S. habitually includes in treaty negotiations the reservation that it will assume no obligations that are in violation of the U.S. Constitution….”
      This is why Congress was NOT allowed to make changes to TPP. A get out clause was inserted in the WTO but not this time round with the TPP.
      For WTO get out clause SEE:

*************************
      ABOUT TREATIES
      ************************

Treaties Do Not Supersede the Constitution

“The following qualifies as one of the greatest lies the globalists continue to push upon the American people. That lie is: “Treaties supersede the U.S. Constitution”.
      The Second follow-up lie is this one: “A treaty, once passed, cannot be set aside”.
      HERE ARE THE CLEAR IRREFUTABLE FACTS: The U.S. Supreme Court has made it very clear that
      1) Treaties do not override the U.S. Constitution.
      2) Treaties cannot amend the Constitution. And last,
      3) A treaty can be nullified by a statute passed by the U.S. Congress (or by a sovereign State or States if Congress refuses to do so), when the State deems a treaty the performance of a treaty is self-destructive. The law of self-preservation overrules the law of obligation in others. When you’ve read this thoroughly, hopefully, you will never again sit quietly by when someone — anyone — claims that treaties supercede the Constitution. Help to dispell this myth.
      “This [Supreme] Court has regularly and uniformly recognized the supremacy of the Constitution over a treaty.” – Reid v. Covert, October 1956, 354 U.S. 1, at pg 17.
      This case involved the question: Does the NATO Status of Forces Agreement (treaty) supersede the U.S. Constitution? Keep reading.
      The Reid Court (U.S. Supreme Court) held in their Opinion that,
      “… No agreement with a foreign nation can confer power on the Congress, or any other branch of government, which is free from the restraints of the Constitution. Article VI, the Supremacy clause of the Constitution declares, “This Constitution and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all the Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land…’
      “There is nothing in this language which intimates that treaties and laws enacted pursuant to them do not have to comply with the provisions of the Constitution nor is there anything in the debates which accompanied the drafting and ratification which even suggest such a result…
      “It would be manifestly contrary to the objectives of those who created the Constitution, as well as those who were responsible for the Bill of Rights – let alone alien to our entire constitutional history and tradition – to construe Article VI as permitting the United States to exercise power UNDER an international agreement, without observing constitutional prohibitions. (See: Elliot’s Debates 1836 ed. – pgs 500-519).
      “In effect, such construction would permit amendment of that document in a manner not sanctioned by Article V. The prohibitions of the Constitution were designed to apply to all branches of the National Government and they cannot be nullified by the Executive or by the Executive and Senate combined.”
      Did you understand what the Supreme Court said here? No Executive Order, Presidential Directive, Executive Agreement, no NAFTA, GATT/WTO agreement/treaty, passed by ANYONE, can supersede the Constitution….”

31. As a Steel Man I can tell you that the price of rebar (before MAGAnomics fixes it) is just under what a US scrap converting steel mill can make it for. I could go on and on about how much money this Asian junk steel costs every ancillary business connected to a steel mill. The mills that can make this product are shuttered. Many will never open because of EPA permitting. Making steel is fantastically profitable because of the sheer volume a “mini mill” produces- let alone a monster blast furnace mill. One Electric Arc Furnace (EAF) can produce 360,000 tons per year. Most mini mills have 3 EAFs. Rebar will go up and that will be uncomfortable for the construction industry- but not even close to fatal as rebar is cheap, and a very small component of construction. HOWEVER there will be vastly more dollars in the hands of Americans- an exponent of the 30-40% price rise in rebar. Lots of lovely dollars chasing great American goods and services. MAGA MAGA MAGA!!!!!! Here’s an EAF in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j2jESz7Zl8&index=2&list=PLTyYkVTbwXDTfzX9SbbEZ021rM_xNJJcO

32. Dixie says:

Another great and informative thread, Sundance. Thank you.

33. MaineCoon says:

When any country see Wilberine walking towards them with THAT look on his face, my advice is to sign on the bottom line without bothering to read the fine print.

34. zaq123 says:

Not only do these countries undercut the US companies in price, but they tend to produce material that is noticeably inferior to the stuff made in the USA. However, most builders don’t care, as buying the cheap stuff just expands their profit margins, in the same way that cheap labor from Central & South America does. Has anyone ever seen a builder sell their properties cheaper because they’re paying some illegal next to nothing? Nope. Just means that the builder pockets more money. And they roll the dice as to whether their product will last till after the warranty runs out. Cheaper for them to pay one of the their guys to do some customer service or hope the homeowner takes care of it, rather than buy the good stuff and hire the right people.