President Donald Trump Weekly Address June 30th, 2017

President Trump delivers the weekly address from the White House:

My fellow Americans,

This week, I was joined at the White House by American families whose loved ones were killed by illegal immigrants.

Many of these illegal immigrants had extensive criminal records and had been repeatedly deported.

Every single one of these deaths was preventable.

These beautiful American lives were stolen because our government refused to do its job. If the government had simply enforced our immigration laws, these Americans would still be alive today.

That is why, since the day I took the oath of office, I have been restoring the enforcement of our immigration laws and the protection and defense of our borders.

These courageous Americans joined me at the White House to call on Congress to pass two bills that I campaigned on during the election. If enacted, these bills will save countless Americans lives. The first bill, Kate’s Law, is named for Kate Steinle, who was killed by an illegal immigrant who had been deported five times. This law will enhance criminal penalties for those who repeatedly re-enter our country illegally.

On Thursday, I am glad to report, these two bills passed the House of Representatives. This represents a crucial step toward ensuring our public safety and national security.

I want to thank Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte for his dedicated work on these critical bills, as well as other crucial legislation that will soon be considered as well. I also thank Leadership for advancing these life-saving measures.

I now call on the Senate to take up these bills and send them back to my desk for signature – as soon as possible. We need security. We need safety in our country. And I call on members of both parties to stand united with victims to stop these terrible and senseless crimes from ever happening in the first place.

This legislation presents a simple choice: either vote to save and protect American lives, or vote to shield and comfort criminal aliens who threaten innocent lives – and they’ve been shielded too long.

As we head towards the Fourth of July, we remember now more than ever to cherish our freedom. The foundation of freedom is the rule of law. It forms the bedrock of our Constitution and the cornerstone of our way of life.

So this Independence Day, while we’re enjoying treasured time with our friends and loved ones, let us not forget the families who have an empty seat at the table this year.

And let us pledge that from now on, we will protect, defend and save American lives.

Thank you.

(Transcript Link)

This entry was posted in President Trump, Uncategorized, Weekly Address. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to President Donald Trump Weekly Address June 30th, 2017

1. MOA says:

“The second bill, the No Sanctuary For Criminals Act, will block federal grants to jurisdictions that shield dangerous criminal aliens from being turned over to federal law enforcement.”

I don’t understand.
    If a city council or police dept obstructs the operation of Federal immigration and criminal law those depts and individuals within are easily charged with Federal offences.

“Sanctuary cites” are already breaking existing laws and each such event should result in charges, why the need for a money bill?

• I have wondered the same thing myself MOA.

We already have very good immigration laws on the books.

I appreciate President Trump’s Law and Orders stance for American citizens but could someone explain why we now need more laws when we already have immigration laws that worked well for many decades.

This is an honest question.

• ColoComment says:

As I understand the situation, it is not that these “sanctuaries” are obstructing, it is that they are refusing to assist. And the Fed gov’t cannot compel them to. There is no federal law that they are breaking.
      For example, San Francisco may have an illegal in custody for some infraction. The Feds may ask to be notified when that illegal is released (so that they can take them into federal custody & deport.) The city does not have to do so. The Federal government cannot compel a state or local jurisdiction to do anything (it can only “incentivize” them by threatening to withhold federal funding (as they did with the old 55 mph speed limits.)
      Here’s a fairly good explanation:

• emet says:

19usc 507 provides penalties for anyone who refuses to help a Customs officer (which includes ICE). It also protects those who help from being sued. There us also 18USC111 which makes it illegal to impede a Federal officer. There has been a lot of media discussion about what is Constitutional and what is not. Some of it rather bizarre. For example, several “experts” have criticized ICE for making warrant-less arrests. But in fact most arrests by state and locals are without warrant. Anyway, with these new laws the President is making it clear. Real clear. So we won’t have to listen to clueless people analyze the Constitution.

• MOA says:

Indeed, just a little more Federal legislation can make disclosure of information about a felony compulsory for State and local govt. The Feds then put in a standing request for any and all info real time illegal border crossers.
          These State and local govt. people are essentially harbouring fugitives. (time to make all illegals de facto wanted fugitives).

• wodiej says:

Refusing to assist is obstruction of justice unless one lives in the land of Oz.

• georgiafl says:

Legalities, probably.

• WSB says:

There was no way to critically punish them. I think the Federal Government should deny student loans, as well.

• emet says:

Feds have the hammer. POTUS tells the IRS to stop telling the California Franchise Tax Board when someone is caught underpaying Federal tax. The state tax boards rely almost 100% on this information to enforce their tax/revenue laws. Sorry Gov Brown, nothing in the Constitution requires the IRS to tell you when someone owes millions in state tax. See how this can go?

• dalethorn says:

On the one hand, the bill “encourages” local officials to not look the other way when they could ask for ID. It’s extremely difficult for the feds to be looking over local officials’ shoulders all the time to make sure they’re looking. If the feds get too involved, local people start getting nervous about federal encroachment in local jurisdictions.

Then we have the sticky issue of grants. I would like to see less federal “granting” to states and cities, because that should not be the role of federal govt., and it gives the feds too much power. So even though the grants are a kudgel to hold over the locals’ heads to encourage their cooperation on immigrants, it’s a mess that needs to be done another way.

• Wayne says:

To force voluntary compliance there is only so many things to be done before national guard is sent in and assholes thrown in jail

2. MakeAmericaGreat says:

Brilliant.

If you have friends or associates who are not sure if they support Trump, show them this Weekly Address video and the video of the WH meeting yesterday between Trump and the families of those killed by illegal immigrants.

That will lead them to Trump.

Honestly, this and the other video are about as good of a PR duo as you could possibly have.

Home run.

3. georgiafl says:

Our dear President works so hard and so well on our behalf.

Thank you, President Trump!

4. R-C says:

The choice could not be more clear:

You either stand with this eminently focused man, Donald J. Trump, and his steadfast embrace of SANITY, the rule of law, and the US Constitution; or you stand with the erratic, lawless, and unstable among us, who do not respect our timeless foundational documents or traditions, and who seek to do us all harm.

I know with whom I stand. I STAND WITH TRUMP!

Spare a thought this holiday weekend for the patriots of Lexington Green & Concord Bridge, who risked it all in their day, resulting in our ability to be free today. Take a pause to consider every other patriot, whether they be regular soldier; militia member; or colonial citizen who stood firm with George Washington when our fledgling nation teetered on the brink. They knew that if they all didn’t hang together, they’d most certainly hang separately. And don’t forget the giants of the age: Adams; Franklin; Jefferson, and all the rest–for turning their considerable intellects in the direction of liberty and justice for all.

And don’t forget to thank God that we were able to keep it all going last November 8th, when once again our republic teetered on the brink.

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

5. AmyB says:

Meanwhile, Justin Amash sent out a tweet yesterday patting himself on the back for NOT voting yes on the bills. Claimed the laws violate the 1, 4, 5, 10 and 11th amendments . He is actually putting illegal alien criminals ahead of Americans. And he is lying that any part of our Constitution is being violated by either of those laws. Seriously, I think at some point, legislators like him that vote against the citizens of this country, especially when it is also in opposition to every other member of their party, need to be investigated to see who is blackmailing them. This is not normal behavior. It’s not believable.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

I agree, Amy. We can’t let this go. This business of outright lying in order to protect the criminals, is not acceptable.

Justin Amash is a ‘special interest’ voter.

• Sandra-VA says:

He is a Libertarian who claims to be pro-Constitution. However, he is clearly against the Rule of Law and the lives of Americans and those here legally.

Shame on him.

I hope he loses his seat in 2018. There is no excuse, no reason, no explanation… he is a fool who thinks too highly of himself.

6. duchess01 says:

Thank You, President Trump – for your weekly address – and for caring to share your weekly progress with us – we appreciate these weekly communications – God Bless You!

7. Thank You Mr President Trump..
    Side bar..
    I believe these “side shots” are too show POISE & STRENGTH!
    #MAGA

• adagio54 says:

Thank you for a possible explanation of the side shots. For me, they represent a distraction and an interruption of “my” conversation with President Trump. When he looks directly “at me,” I feel as if I am engaged in the message. When the camera moves to a profile shot, I feel as if he is reading to me.

8. CDuran says:

How lucky we are to have a man like PDJT. Watching “THE PATRIOT” on cable (I know) But it reminds how much blood ran to make this country. I am proud to be part of it. I am a legalized citizen and have been blessed by living in the USA for 50 years, MAGA

9. Laura Wesselmann says:

California has two senators, both Democrats. Kamala Harris, a left-wing nutbag and Barbara Feinstein who seems a lot more reasonable. I encourage all California citizens to call her office, send e-mails and letters to encourage passage of these laws.

• MTeresa says:

Just wrote to both of them. To be honest, I think my state is a lost cause, and I frankly cannot stand either of these women. Kamala Harris in particular is a first class leftist. But hopefully many other people in CA will contact them and they will be forced to vote with their constituents.

10. filia.aurea says:

As a tribute to Independence, I vote we get the U.S. out of the U.N., and nominate Nimrata “Nicky” Haley as Ambassador to Tanzania.

• MOA says:

Nicky is a Never Trumper.
      The Pres’s great weakness is employing those who hate him and will eventually white ant him.

• filia.aurea says:

I will never forget the disrespect that stupid woman showed our President, or the complete ignorance and hypocrisy regarding Confederate State history. All I’m hoping is that her appointment is part of Trump’s “long-game”, i.e. removing her from the Governership of S.C., and our eventual withdrawal from the U.N.

11. PDQ says:

shame on all those people (politicians, actors, actresses, journalists) branding this president as incompetent. NEVER in recent history has anyone cared to protect the American people as PDJT is doing.

12. hellinahandbasket says:

I’ve had it with the President’s video production team.
    … 1 horribly staged/framing video after another.
    But, at least the President’s message is consolation for the production crew’s missteps.
    #MAGA …What a great week! Our President works incredibly hard for America!