As A Mother Grows

This post was written in 2012. I have made some additions, but left the bulk of the post intact. For clarity, since my changes involve people and time, the additions are in italics.

This has been a very special year in our family, this past year since Mother’s Day 2011. First, we had a beloved addition to our family in May 2011, Sarah Isabella. She arrived several months early, and many of you Treepers prayed for her and her mother after her birth. Then, in March of this year, the arrival of Sadie made me a grandmother for the first time. These two births, as well as some challenges other friends and family members have faced being mothers has made me think a great deal about motherhood, and the unique challenges it brings. A recent conversation with another mother whose children are now adults added more perspective. Last year, I did a post about the history of Mother’s Day. Most people think about their mother or grandmother, or perhaps a favorite aunt,  when the topic is Mother’s Day. We adults tend to think of our mature mothers, or perhaps even an elderly mom. Because two young mothers have been in my thoughts and prayers this year, as well as my heart, I thought about writing something to honor those young women, the mothers who struggle so hard with the demands only a young family faces. A recent conversation inspired me to take it a little further. So, I would like to write about the stages of motherhood, and perhaps, for the sake of coherence and the story, I will make assumptions about families that may not match everyone’s experience. That does not mean I value your experience less.

With the first baby comes overwhelming love, awe, fear, joy, and the gushing happiness specific to motherhood. You have had 9 long months to prepare for this precious little miracle God is entrusting to you, and yet you are not ready, you can never really be prepared. How can you be prepared for that first embrace, the soft, sweet skin, the way your heart just stops at the first cry? How can you anticipate  the perfection of the unfocused stare of your baby? The completion of your family, the way your love for your husband, and his for you, is multiplied and increased, the way that three people have become a little universe of love? How can you possibly imagine the utter weariness of night upon night without sleep? The fear at the first cough or hiccup? The inner warrior woman you never knew existed who is ready to leap into action at any threat to that child? The hopes, the dreams, the plans you and your husband share as you hold that little part of you?

And so a family grows, and so does a mother. She learns that a cry is not a notice of imminent harm to her child, that a sneeze does not require a call to the doctor, that she can indeed care for a family, go to work, pick up the laundry, and live with spots on her clothes, all on four hours of sleep on a good day. Perhaps a year or two down the road, she is blessed with another child, and the cycle of life and love continues. The little family again finds that love’s multiplicative power is infinite. The second child arrives with a little less fear, but just as much love. This time, Mom knows what she is in for, and she knows that she also has this first little one to care for, as well as the new baby. Now she has gained confidence, emotionally, and physically. She is able to carry a toddler in one arm and a baby in the other, with a diaper bag, purse, and a bag of groceries, all while using a foot to block the dog and open the door. Home life has a routine, and things are not perfect, but very good…and that is fine. Each additional child is a perfect blessing, adding much to the family, each special and needed and loved.

The school years start, and the real juggle begins. School clothes, homework, lunches, field trips, friends, hurt feelings, report cards. Mom learns to be a tutor, a defender, a referee, and an advocate. She must stand strong, proud and often alone, in defense of what is right, which often differs from what is wanted. All of these demands are like Mom boot camp. Hopefully, they have partially prepared her for the teen age years. Nothing short of direct intervention by God could actually prepare a mother for those years, never mind that she herself actually once was a teenager, in a time and land far, far away. And so, with the years and experiences, the mother has grown, matured, become someone who is so strong, so powerful, she can withstand the whine of a young lady who is sure she is the only one who doesn’t have a snakeskin belly ring, and the indignant glare of the young man who doesn’t get to take the family car out on Saturday night. She sleeps lightly, if at all, when her children are out, knowing the dangers that await them, the terrible choices she can prepare them for, but never make for them. She rejoices at their triumphs, and agonizes at their pain. She knows she must let them pull away, make mistakes, fall and hurt themselves, just as they did when they took their first steps. But, oh, how that hurts.

One fine day, she sits at the front of the church with tears in her eyes as her child makes the vows that will found a new family. This child of hers is now grown, and she thought she would sigh in relief at the easing of responsibility, the freedom she now has. But she has learned a new lesson, a very hard lesson getting to this point. Her sons and daughters must make their own way in a sometimes cruel world, and she knows that now, the less she does for them, the stronger they are. She must let them take the hard knocks, the heartbreak, possibly even the despair. To interfere would be to weaken them, and that she will not do. She must learn when she is truly needed, as a mother will always be needed, and when she can only pray.

Then comes the day when she hears the most magical words in all of the world. “Mom, we’re going to have a baby.” Or perhaps, as in our family, wonderful new children to love come along with their beautiful mothers who marry into the family. More children to love, children who you weren’t able to hold as a babe, children who already belong to other grandparents as well. Love has brought more wonderful young people into your family. And the cycle starts again, for a new mother, and an older mother. One who must learn to nurture and care, and one to hold, and to let go. The world turns, the seasons change, the children grow up. A new generation is born, and the same responsibilities must be met. One thing holds it all together,  one thing makes it all possible. Love. It takes a whole lot more than love to raise a family, but it all starts there. Love is the essential spark that starts the fire. Love is the foundation, and it never gets used up, or broken, or tarnished. Love shines brightly with an eternal light. It crosses generations, and it breaches the gap between this world and the next. For each of us who have lost our mother, our grandmother, or a beloved mother in law have seen that light, felt the warmth of love long after the loved one is gone.

For the gifts of my own grandchildren Sadie, Mason, Conner, for Hayden, Micah, Macie who will officially join the family this August, but in reality are already ours, for Grey and his brother Wyatt who will make his entry into our lives in the next few weeks, my heart swells with love and joy, pride and happiness. My prayers will be with you for all eternity, bound together with you through the Communion of Saints. May you know the love of God that keeps you all of your lives.

The Treehouse wishes all of our mothers a happy and blessed day. We hope you are enjoying the company of family and friends, and that you will perhaps take a moment and share a special memory or two of a beloved woman in your life, or tell a tale or two about your own children.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

141 Responses to As A Mother Grows

1. ZurichMike says:

Lovely! Happy Mother’s Day to you and all moms out there!

• Too Real says:

This is a special Mother’s day for me. I gave my baby up for adoption over 40 years ago. About 4 years ago I bought a DNA test at Ancestry. On February 23, 2017, (my daughter’s birthday), she had recently gotten a DNA kit–and we matched!!!! That is a miracle—-God’s timing is perfect……As a young woman pregnant, I was almost forced to get an abortion, but refused. This is a very special gift from God.

• Aqua says:

Happy Mother’s Day to you! My mother is adopted, and I was able to find her birth family last year- she will be 80 soon. Finding siblings and a history has been so special for all of us, too.

• MTeresa says:

God bless you for your selfless act of not terminating your pregnancy. Blessings to you on this very special Mother’s Day ❤

• uvaldegirl says:

How incredible. a very happy Mother’s Day to you.

• That is just wonderful Too Real.

Happy Mothers Day to you and you daughter!

• In AZ says:

@Too Real,
        Wow. Wonderful story. Congratulations.

My parents adopted a baby boy when I was 11 years old….I was the youngest of 5 kids, the adopted baby made 6. They made the mistake of not telling him he was adopted. We lived in a small town, so the adopted boy was teased at school about being adopted and that is how he found out.
        The adopted boy is now 46 years old and hates his birth family and adopted family. He quit speaking to me after our mother passed away last year. I offered to help him find his birth family but he has refused. I told him to do the Ancestry DNA and from there he could find his birth family. I hope that one day he can find peace…and his birth family.

• boogywstew says:

For folks with abusive parents, Mother’s Day can be another stinging reminder. Some folks wish and dream that these beautiful Souls could have adopted them.

• Too Real says:

Me too–Az. I pray for God to Bless him and you…may he find peace beyond understanding. I know that God’s timing is always good.

• golsono says:

God please bless and guide all mothers to raise there offspring to realise that life is to be lived according to Your will

• Sloth1963 says:

My wife and our 3 children are adopted. They feel sorry for me. 😉

2. shark24 says:

Wow. Very beautiful and moving tribute to all moms. God bless you for posting and Happy Mother’s Day!

• mikebrezzze says:

I lost my mother 3-31-2008, I miss her every day & every day I despise the disease Alzheimer’s just as much as I still love my mother Bennie!

• Guyver1 says:

Same here, Mike.
        It was hard to watch, knowing I could do nothing about it. Watching the mind of the woman I knew as Mom slowly disappear.
        But at least when the end came, she went peacefully in her sleep.
        We will see our Moms again, fully restored, at the proper time.
        Of that I have no doubt.

3. ZurichMike says:

This is a euology I wrote for my favorite aunt, who died much too young back in May 2008. I think it’s suitable for a Mother’s Day remembrance:

In 1958 the incomparable actress Rosalind Russell starred in the movie “Auntie Mame”, the story of a madcap aunt in New York teaching her orphaned nephew to live life to the hilt, always following her motivational quip “Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death.”

Aunt JoAnn whisked me away to see New York for a weekend back in the early 1960’s. Seeing skyscrapers for the first time and eating crêpes Suzette in a fancy bistro with a really cool aunt was life’s banquet for this impressionable five year-old nephew. Not surprisingly, my love of new experiences and traveling comes from her.

Like Auntie Mame, Aunt JoAnn moved rapidly, unpredictably, but steadfastly from one experience to the next. She was the carefree, pretty nurse in New York and Boston, zipping back to Connecticut in her white Ford Falcon to tell us breathlessly of the fun and excitement in her big-city career and travels to Europe or to play us a new album from “Peter, Paul & Mary.” Later she transitioned without missing a beat to handling the role of wife to handsome Uncle Tony, a widower with 5 children. She adopted them all and had a 6th child. She was then suddenly a single parent after the love of her life died. Who commands such emotional strength?

But like Auntie Mame’s somewhat unconventional ways, Aunt JoAnn’s habits were puzzling for us mere mortals. Sometimes she would just show up late for a dinner invitation, or not at all if she found a better offer. Not necessarily a better offer for dinner, just something else to do, such as being sidetracked at a sale at the Christmas Tree Store or a winning slot machine at the casino. Like Auntie Mame, Aunt JoAnn didn’t live for the moment; she lived in the moment. We learned to “go with the flood.”

A fond memory I have was when Aunt JoAnn and I were neighbors in the same condo complex. It was not unusual for her to call me and have a conversation like this:
    “Hey, d’j eat?” she would ask.
    “Why?” I would reply.
    “Because I just took a turkey out of the oven.”
    “But Auntie, it’s 10 o’clock at night. On Tuesday. In August.”
    “Yeah, but I felt like cooking — come on over.”

I am sure all of you have similar fond memories of Aunt JoAnn. Cherish them as you cherished her during her 70 years on earth.

Lastly, when we speculate about Aunt JoAnn’s recent medical issues, we could remember an old saying that “life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘Wow, what a ride!’”

Aunt JoAnn had a great ride through life. We just wish it had lasted a bit longer.

• rashamon says:

What great memories, Mike. We all should leave such a legacy for spontaneity and joy!

• Ad rem says:

Love you Mike…..

• Rebnstx says:

Mike, I want to cry reading your memories of your aunt JoAnn. I had a nursing career, lived fast & moved around like that. Not married or children but even made a turkey dinner in the summer for my nephew once. Not in the best health but still have plans & dreams. Hopefully I have made a difference in the lives of my neices & nephews. Just recently had a neice name her child after me. Yes the role of a mother & the love of a mother can come in many ways.

• navysquid says:

Rebnstx…Thank you for your service as a nurse! In the military, we love our docs and nurses…especially the nurses…wink

• Guyver1 says:

You are right.
        Like you, my favorite aunt never got married, no children. She dedicated her life to taking care of her Mom, and helping her brothers and sisters bring up their children. She was always there for us when we needed comfort and love. A devout woman, she was a spiritual guide to all of us. So much peace and love…
        Now in her mid eighties, and surrounded by love. Today I called her to wish her a happy Mother’s Day, and to explain why- from the day I was born (and I am 62 now) she has been like a mother to me. We had a long, meaningful, happy conversation- she was very excited because she got Mother’s Day calls or visits from all 10 of her nieces and nephews 🙂

• LULU says:

I am printing this off and saving it. We never know what that ride will be like, so we enjoy every last bit of it.

Auntie Mame: “Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!”

Thanks, ZM, and Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms and grandmas out there…

• navysquid says:

Mike…that was excellent and glad you could spend some great QUALITY time with Aunt JoAnn and Mamie.

• I have my own Aunt JoAnn ZurichMike.

Her name is Aunt Brenda.

For reasons of her own she will only wear purple.

She loves purple, wears it, decorates her home in purple, colors her hair purple, has a purple Christmas tree.

She made my childhood magical.

I will always cherish her.

• Fe says:

Wonderful special very touching memories Mike. It brought me to tears.

BTW, I kid you not, Auntie Mame is my most favorite movie of all time. I still watch it, and own it 3 ways, VHS, DVD, and on my iPad bought from iTunes. One of my favorites memories is hearing my daughter bust out laughing during the scene where Mame is walking to the horse named Meditation with her borrowed riding boots not exactly on her feet and she says:
      Fix the animal in the eye
      with a masterful gaze.
      Fix the master in the eye
      with an animal gaze.
      Fix the aster in the maze
      with an animal guy. 😂

• ZurichMike says:

It’s a fabulous movie! My favorite lines:

Patrick Dennis: Is the English lady sick [Vera with a massive hangover], Auntie Mame?
        Mame Dennis: She’s not English, darling… she’s from Pittsburgh.
        Patrick Dennis: She sounded English.
        Mame Dennis: Well, when you’re from Pittsburgh, you have to do something.

4. rashamon says:

A touching essay, Menagerie! All my love to the people who have given you such a warm and wonderful life, and to you, for the generosity you have shared with them. Happy Mother’s Day.

5. ZurichMike says:

This is a slightly updated version of something I had posted another Mother’s Day:

My Italian grandmother would visit every other Thursday during the summer. I remember being in the car with my mother and then three other siblings to pick her up at the bus stop. Grandma would get off the bus, always wearing a hat, and carrying a big black purse. In that purse was a bag of plain M&M’s for each grandchild, or a Hershey’s bar with almonds — remember when it was 5 cents, marked on the wrapper?

Grandma came over (1) to get out of the city where she lived and into the country for some fresh air, and (2) to help my mother with cooking and cleaning while she visited. Mom would do laundry and clean while grandma cooked, and in the afternoon grandma would iron clothes while watching her “stories” (soap operas) on TV while mom took a little nap.

Grandma liked iced coffee in the afternoon. She would share it with us grandchildren, and would also give us little juice glasses of Asti Spumante at the holidays (we were sooooo grown up) — nowadays she’d probably be arrested for serving us caffeine and alcohol! Grandma cooked enough tomato sauce to float a battleship, enough fried meatballs and Italian sausage to feed an army, and in the evening she would boil a vat of pasta.

Grandpa would join us after work, when my dad also got home, and we’d have this enormous pasta meal on Thursday evening. Occasionally grandma would stuff and fry squash flowers, or make eggplant parmesan, but mostly it was the sauce and meatballs and pasta I remember. Don’t get me started describing her homemade pasta, ravioli, lasagna, manicotti, gnocchi, pickled eggplant, or Easter pies (Italian cream, rice, wheat, and ham pies). Yum.

I loved going to her house for any meal. My cousins lived next door to grandma and I was envious that they could always pop over to nosh on something at grandma’s house. At her house in the afternoon, if we were visiting, we kiddies had a special treat: fresh crusty bread with lots of butter from the “icebox” (or “frigidaire” but never called “the refrigerator”), and she would serve us boiled coffee with lots of sugar and milk in little demitasse cups. We thought we were have high tea at the Ritz.

My Slovak grandmother would visit with grandpa on Friday evenings. She always brought a three-layer yellow cake with chocolate icing. All made from scratch — no such thing as box cakes for farmer immigrants to the US! While the grandparents were chatting with mom and dad at the dining room table, I would sit next to grandma and play “school”. She would tell me words to write down, and I would carefully print them on lined paper, and she would correct them.

At her house, we could sometimes have a “stay over” weekend to help grandpa cut the immense lawns on an old Coldwell lawn mower, help grandma weed her flower gardens, and then we would play croquet and drink orange soda. We thought we were at some fancy club.

Being a Slovak farm girl, she could make light and fluffy dumplings for Sunday roast dinners as easily as most people boil water. She had a staccato laugh. She smoked, which at the time I thought was very elegant, but died of emphysema at 68. I wish she had been around to see us get older.

My mom is more special with each passing year. I don’t know how she managed to raise 5 children on my dad’s salary before she went back to work as a teacher. We never felt like we were deprived, although I do remember dad wearing his suits probably a year or two after they should have been retired to the back of the closet.

Mom was always home when we got back from school. She was the best room mother (every child thinks this, I believe). One of my classmates (we were in the same classes from kindergarten through senior year at high school) is diabetic, and I remember my mom, when she had to bring in Christmas goodies for our first grade Christmas party, made a layer cake with differently sized layers, and decorated it to look like a Christmas tree – and she made a little tiny diabetic version for my friend R____. I remember that to this day – as does R____.

Mom was a den mother in Cub Scouts for us 4 boys, and supported us all through Boy Scouts, Little League, and school activities. Unlike modern “helicopter moms”, my mom never came to our events – not that she wasn’t interested, but she usually did not have the time, and it was considered odd at the time to have your parents show up for anything except graduation.

Mom is very Catholic. If you looked up the definition of “devout Catholic” in a picture dictionary, you would see a photo of my mother. She has her little blue “Mother’s Manual” – well-thumbed – of daily and special prayers, a cardboard box of prayer cards, Mass cards, and funeral cards sorted by date (we kiddies irreverently called it “The Death Box”) and she would flip through them during the year and reminisce and say prayers for the deceased.

No matter where we were on vacation, we would find a Catholic church to attend on Sunday. I remember one Mother’s Day when she and my father went to church and then out for breakfast alone and left my oldest brother in charge. When they returned, I remember my mother walking up the sidewalk in her nice blue coat, matching hat with veil, cat’s eye glasses, and white gloves – I thought she was a movie star.

The most painful thing I remember was when I came out of the closet — I thought I had broken her heart forever. We did not speak for over a year. This is where it becomes very ironic. My mother is very devoted to the Blessed Mother – there is a lovely lithograph of her in my mother’s “study” (a corner of the TV room). During this rupture in our relationship, I remember sitting quietly in an empty church trying to figure things out, and my eyes were drawn to the statute of the Blessed Mother on the left side – and I started weeping and said out loud “please help me”. And I believe to this day that she did. As a result, I am also very devoted to the Blessed Mother (which partially explains all of my posts on feast days of the Virgin Mary!). It is difficult to reconcile who I am with what my mother believes, and what the Catholic church holds, yet since then our relationship has surpassed what it used to be.

She is now recently a widow, and that is an enormous adjustment for her – 61 years married! We are all swooping around to support her, but it’s tough path that she had to take alone.

A special prayer to bless and keep all mothers this day, and always.

• justfactsplz says:

Lovely post. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story of the women in your life.

• Ad rem says:

Such a wonderful family and wonderful memories Mike. No wonder you grew into the man you are. And YES….I remember that 5/cent candy bar! LOL…and every now and then I forget and call it the “icebox” too.

• amwick says:

TY Mr. Mike. A wonderful message.

• The Boss says:

Just wow!

• farmhand1927 says:

Lovely comments, ZurichMike. Beyond your love and devotion for the treasured women in your life, your remembrances exemplify the beauty of the American family. Early immigrants that felt privileged to get here, working hard and raising families that would develop a love of our nation and the common sense to value, preserve and foster strong, loving families.

I’m not being political on this day. I, too, could spend several hours here reliving my own blessed memories of my mother, special aunts and the struggles and sacrifices my grandmothers and those before them made. To this day, in my twilight years, when I read my family history, contemplate the events and circumstances that shaped the backbone of my family tree, I shed tears of both joy and thanksgiving and sorrow and compassion.
      More recently, my family was devastated when we lost a precious little grandson due to still birth. I dream everyday of what his life could have been and while my arms are empty now, I look forward to joining him in God’s Kingdom and the joy he will be to me there.

The doctors said if only he could have survived in his mother’s womb 14 more days, he likely could have lived. Why? We’ll never know but he was beautiful, a mother’s dream and a grandmothers utter joy, looking exactly like his daddy, tiny eyebrows, fingernails, and his mother’s perfect Cupid’s arrow shaped upper lip. Darling, sweet, a treasured joy but silent in this life. But not in the next, praise God.

Again, I’m not being political when my heart is warmed by your stories of family that are people that have built America. We are losing our country and our family values. I grieve for the people that will never have an Aunt JoAnn or a mother that is guided by her faith throughout life, a faith that stands for love and sharing rather than taking and hating.

ZurichMike, your mother’s love has sustained you and will the rest of your life. She taught you that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him, will have eternal life. Notice there are no conditions there. Just belief. We all fall short of God’s glory, every single minute of every day of our lives. Yet, He loves us any way.

The Bible also tells us that our Lord has plans for us, plans to give us a hope and a future. Aren’t there a lot of days when that seems awfully hard to believe? I struggle with it when the cards seem stacked against families, values, traditions, hard work, taking pride in accomplishment, mothers and fathers that do whatever it takes to care for their children. Somehow, beyond our understanding, it’s all gonna work out, if not in this life, in the next.

If you have your Mother, don’t forget her today. If you’re a Mother and have the gift of having your children and grandchildren with you, savor every moment. Live life with love, generosity of treasure and spirit. Thank God for those He placed in our lives yesterday, today and tomorrow. It’s part of those big plans He has for us!

• AM says:

“It is difficult to reconcile who I am with what my mother believes, and what the Catholic church holds, yet since then our relationship has surpassed what it used to be.”

This is not who you are. You are of God’s creation and we all expect you to live up to something better than your disordered sex drive. And your mother *and* the Blessed Mother is right.

Does that mean you can snap your fingers and become heterosexual? No. But for the sake of both mothers, living and Blessed, I would suggest learning to focus your life on something other than your sex drive. It will consume your identity and soul over the course of the decades, which is why the Church teaches against it. Homosexuality is corrosive force on your life, which is why it’s immoral. God creates rules because He loves us.

If you’re in a homosexual relationship, get out. Yes..celibacy. The priests can do it, so can you. The best version of yourself is not awkward holidays and vaguely disappointing looks and nagging doubts.

Give your Mom the best Mother’s Day ever: announce you will conform to church teaching so that you can keep your eyes on Heaven. Strive to find that best version of yourself. It may have nothing to do with marriage and kids, but I *guarantee* it has nothing to do with same-sex relationships.

• ZurichMike says:

I am not here to justify myself, my beliefs, and who I am to you or anyone else. I did not post this tribute to my mother and grandmothers to solicit advice from someone who knows virtually nothing about my life, and who outrageously assumes that my life is focused on my sex drive.

Your advice is as laughably simplistic as it is spiritually empty. Please concentrate on the beam in your own eye before concentrating on the mote in mine (Matthew 7:3).

• Minnie says:

❤️

BTW, you had me at fried zucchini blossoms ❤️

• maiingankwe says:

Good for your Mike. You wrote that much nicer than I could have, Bless you for that.

I love my family and friends for who they are, and I know without a doubt in my mind and my heart that our Creator does the same. I think what ‘am’ was talking about is nonsense. We are not the ones to judge, and should be ashamed when we do.

Sorry Mike, I can’t get my words right, but I think you can still understand what I’m trying to say. Today words aren’t working for me very well.

Anyways, let’s try this. If you were my family or friend, I would still love you the same. You are God’s creation, and what a beautiful gift to your parents and loved ones. That’s what you are, a beautiful gift, a treasure from our Creator. So There. I think I got it. I know you do.

Love you Mike, be well,
          Ma’iingankwe

• Katie says:

Wow Mike – what a beautiful journey down memory lane. I wish we could sit down and talk face to face…reading your memories I lost count how many times I had similar circumstances.

I have no children (except 4 legged fur kids) and I’m in the strange place this year of accepting my “Mom” is gone but my ‘Mother’ is still alive. She has Alzheimer’s and is not the same person.

Like many reading here, we have much to be grateful for thanks to the amazing mothers, grandmothers, and aunts that gave us the foundation to the life we built.

• Guyver1 says:

Katie, my Mom ended up with Alzheimer’s too, so I know the feeling…
        Here, but not here.
        But what a person was is never truly gone from the Universe, just from the material world.
        Have no doubt- when our appointed time comes, we will see them again, their minds fully restored.

• Bless all of our grandmothers and mothers ZurichMIke.

Your family parallels mine except for the country lineage.

Mine is French where yours was Italian.

Amazing how families were able to raise five kids on a fathers salary only.

Moms loved us but were to busy to helicopter and we ran wild and free.

But we knew we were loved.

And we were well cared for.

Good food, hand me down’s, siblings to argue with, grandparents and cousins just around the corner, more good food, chores, sharing a room with a sibling, sharing toys with siblings, family vacations, we had great times and I miss them.

6. carterzest says:

Great post, Menagerie. Timeless. Love the new updates. Coming from a broken home, I really appreciate them. My Step-Grandparents are and were ROCKSTARS!not always an easy gig.

HMD to all Mothers, old and new.

Kids…never ending gifts…

My boy just hit a bases loaded grand slam home run Thursday. My wife asked me why I was crying. (Oops, its Mothers Day). 😉

• justfactsplz says:

I have two grandchildren and six step grandchildren. I love them all the same. The agony of being a step mother to adult children has been tough and much harder.

• jeb71 says:

About that agony, watching my daughter take on 3 full custody kids 4, 5, 7, with their Dad, has been torturous due to the X’s obstructionist, out of control behavior, purposely undermining, instilling hatred and disrespect in the kids towards my daughter. 16 years later the oldest has begun to show love, respect and profound gratefulness for their step-mom. It’s been a heart-wrenching journey for this grandma because I had to keep a safe distance away, fighting my mama bear reactions to protect her from such a struggle. She truly blessed me with my own granddaughter who is 13, and calls me Nonny. I was able to provide full time childcare for most of those years which healed my heart having to watch my daughter’s struggle. Now she’s enjoying a tiny family of 3 and reaping the rewards only a stepparent can enjoy.

Meanwhile, my bachelor son finally found his soulmate in his mid 40’s so I now have 2 new grand baby girls, 5 1/2 months and just 2. They live too far away for me to see them very often which is sheer torture because I’m going through 2nd generation empty-nest syndrome now that my 13 year old can be home alone. Both my kids waited too long to begin their families so I’m way more elderly than my folks were in 1967, 45 and 50 yrs. old. In the olden days the new babies would be great grandkids when you are in your 70’s. Times are a changing. It’s surreal because I married during the Vietnam era and now there are riots in the streets again, 50 yrs. later. It’s represented in my family because I have 2 younger brothers who are extreme liberal activists.. They were protesting that war while our oldest brother was stationed at a Vietnam air base in the US Air Force. It just broke our mother’s heart to see her family ripped apart by the civil unrest while her eldest was in harms way. She would be very upset to see the young people so out of touch with what it means to be an American. It must break the hearts of the millions of military service members who are out protecting our country’s interests, as well as all their family members. For all the moms and grandmoms we must always think of their sacrifices and what all this political discourse is doing to their hearts and souls. Like I said, it’s surreal to be experiencing the same agony we suffered 50 years ago. God bless all the moms.

• justfactsplz says:

I too was married the first time during the Vietnam era. I had three cousins who served in the war and they all came home safely. I was 54 when my first grandchild was born. I will be older than dirt before I become a great grandma. I really love this grandma thing. My two grandchildren call me Memaw. My six step grandchildren call me Grandma as I have been more of a grandma to them than their real one.

• aqua says:

I feel your pain, Justfactsplz. Just know, as hard as it has been, that you have been there for many good times, many hard times, filled with hope and love for your family’s future. One day, they will know how hard it has been. But you can hold that in your heart every day that you were there and you did your very best.

Happy Mother’s Day to you!

• maiingankwe says:

Warning! Momma bragging too!

My daughter got three blue ribbons and one red for gymnastics yesterday. She blew it out of the park too! So proud of all of her hard work. Only two of them were able to do a forward roll on the beam without falling off, hence the blue ribbon. So dang proud of our kids.

Two weeks ago she was moved up from pre-team to level 3. She is now practicing for competition and will compete in her state and at the end with other states. She started late, but she is doing amazingly well. Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it all.
      Love the stories, keep them coming!
      Ma’iingankwe

• Ad rem says:

Being exceptionally proud of one’s children is the reward for being an excellent mother. ❤

• maiingankwe says:

Very sweet and kind to say. Sometimes I wonder though, and wish there was a spot on handbook for anything and everything that could go wrong or even right.

Yes, I do have an angel, but not a perfect one by any means. Sometimes I have to wonder what she is thinking when she does certain things. Like when her ‘bestie’ dropped popcorn all over the mat by the door and on the outside. Why would she leave that to be spread all over our home? Or when she’s left her gymnastics ribbons on the stairwell, and I’ve asked her a gazillion times, okay, three or four to take them to her room. The last time I had asked she had promised the next time she went down the stairs. Okay, makes sense, but they’re still there. I just looked.

I know she’s not blind or hearing impaired.

So thank you for those kind words. They do make me feel better especially after being in the kitchen for four five hours making Sunday dinner. But you know what I just realized at this very moment? My daughter did lay the table, mash the potatoes, and helped stir the gravy. She kept me good company for the last part, so maybe it’s not all so bad. There could most certainly be far worse things than forgetting to pick up and so forth.

I guess I just wanted to say it’s not perfect, but it’s our home and I’m ever so lucky to have her, my husband and pup-pups. I have so much to be thankful for when it comes to all of us in our home. So I get a bit cranky when they leave stuff laying around, they mean no harm and I know they love me.

Thank you ad rem, you made me feel better after all. 😁

7. FLEEVY says:

I’m crying. Thank you

8. Ad rem says:

So exquisitely written Menage….must remember to keep Kleenex next to the computer.

9. justfactsplz says:

This is a beautiful Mother’s Day tribute, Menagerie. You are so right that it’s all about LOVE.

My mother was 93 lacking one month of being 94 when she passed away Thanksgiving weekend 2015. I miss her terribly. I was alone with her when she passed and God helped me through it.

I have wonderful memories of my mother. When I was five years old I was very sickly and had many bouts of tonsillitis. I remember my mother had a beautiful red coat that was nubby not smooth to the touch. I would bury my face in that coat crying as they gave me one of many penicillin shots. The night before I went to the hospital to get my tonsils out my mother dropped a pyrex pie pan and broke three toes. She sat with me after surgery all day and I’m sure she was in much more physical pain than I was.

My mom would sew pretty dresses for me. She made the best Christmas sugar cookies, scalloped potatoes, meat loaf, and lemon icebox pies.

My dad was a pipeline welder and we moved a lot. I remember road trips with my mother as we went to a new destination. In later years I took mom on a road trip to see my sister 1000 miles away. We had a lot of fun, just the two of us.

Not long after my dad died my mother came to live with us to help me with my oldest daughter who was very ill. It was so good to have her with me once again.

I had the greatest joy when my mother was in her late seventies and she accepted Jesus as her personal savior. It was her own mother, my grandmother, that helped lead me to the Lord when I was 12 years old. My mom had spent years angry at God and blaming him for my brother dying when he was 8 months old from whooping cough and pneumonia. Moments before mom died I reminded her that she was going to heaven and that her loved ones were waiting for her there and it was okay to go. She had gentle tears come down her face and she breathed her last breath.

I know my mother is with her mother this year and that there is great joy in heaven. I will miss her today and think of memories we shared. I will spend this day like most any other day. I won’t be seeing my girls as one lives in West Virginia and the other one in Tallahassee. Even so I will thank God for my mother and that he allowed me to be a mother and experience the beautiful gifts he gave me.

10. LibertyVibe says:

Many of us realize that God has permitted us the privilege of being a parent, so that we may have a glimpse of what it must be like for Him. As parents, we get to know what it is like to love someone more than ourselves:To agonize over their sorrows, and to celebrate their victories.
    Like so many mothers, I went through a season where one of my sons started to go down a path that I did not want him to go down… and I was afraid. Those were hard days. They turned into hard years. I remember crying out to God to help us.
    God chose to change my son’s heart and turn it back to HIM. This led us to pulling him out of the school he was in, and homeschooling. After several months,we discovered an undiagnosed learning disability, that was the root cause of so much of his misery. We were able to make the necessary corrections,which changed everything for him. He no longer hated himself. I am forever grateful to my Father in Heaven for rescuing us.
    We are getting ready to graduate our son this year, and it IS a great victory!
    This song: “When You Come Back Home” was a song that ministered to me during that time. I listen to it now, and I remember what it felt like waiting.

11. Dekester says:

Thank you all for posting.
    Some of us grew up without a loving mother, and as many of us know. Most times it was not their fault.
    Yet there was often someone else’s mother that stepped in and showed us the way. That way being unconditional love, and selflessness.

PDJT always speaks beautifully, when talking about his Scottish mum. The PDJT children have loving mothers, and grandmothers in their lives and it shows.

Them Trumps are one special family. Take care of them.

Especially Melania, who must watch her husband, son, and step- children being constantly abused.

Mrs Pence too.

Mums and grandmas or omas if you wish. Have yourself a lovely day, and god bless your PDJT. He is looking out for you.

• farmhand1927 says:

A big Trump-style thumbs up, Dekester, on remembering the beautiful, loving moms in the Trump family.

Our President did very much love and cherish his mother. When he bought Turnberry in Scotland and refurbished the exquisite old hotel and golf course, there’s video of him walking the property, dressed in construction worker type clothes. He said he did the project for his mother, to bring jobs and prosperity to her community of birth.

One of my favorite photos of him is when he’s standing in his mother’s kitchen, appears to be a holiday gathering, his arm around her, both smiling. His mother is wearing a lovely apron, much like the ones my mother and grandmothers wore while cooking Sunday dinner. Like the ones I wear when cooking special meals for my family. I have a philosophy I’ve passed along to the girls in my family:

“Run a comb through your hair, put on lipstick and a clean apron, and Honey, you can conquer the world.”

12. teaforall says:

Dear Mom
    Time may bring
    many changes to our lives
    But through the years
    Some things last and grow
    Even more precious
    Like the special Joy of having You for a Mother….

Happy Mothers Day to All Women around the World, yes today is Our Day, Enjoy your Family and love ones. To all the Mothers who have gone before us, Your Spirit is alive within us.

Sliante
    Tea

13. Weeper says:

First, THANK YOU Menagerie for your beautiful post, and for the opportunity you’ve given me to share mine.

I am a “YUGE” proponent of Mother’s Day. I lost mine, over 22 years ago at a relatively young age, and I still miss her every single day of my life. It’s my day to HONOR her memory.
    While I was working, I used to write and send a message on the Friday before Mother’s Day, via email. I would like to share my favorite.

Some background. This was written for Mother’s Day 2002. This was the first Mother’s Day after 911, our company was going through a contentious merger, announced the week prior to 911 (on the News….hint: someone’s running mate was involved), we had the Enron scandal, and the prior June we had Tropical Storm Allison, when many in our working community lost everything due to flooding.

Here is the original message:
    I try to write and send one of these every year at this time, but for the past couple of years….I haven’t. Writers block, laziness….I’m not sure why, but this year, especially, I felt compelled to send one. The words came easily.

I know some of you are not MOMs, but you have one, or you’re married to one, or there is someone in your life you are close to who is one. My intent is that you’ll share this with them.
    Some reading this have recently lost love ones. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you, and we hope that you are comforted by that. Others have welcomed, or will soon welcome, new members to their families. We share in your joy and wish you a life filled with love and happiness.

This has been quite a year…..
    Mother Nature, Terrorism, Mergers, Bankruptcies, War, Conflicts, Indictments, and Proxy Fights….along with everyday stresses. This has taken its toll on all of us.

WHERE DO WE FIND OUR STRENGTH

The baby has been fussy all day. You’re at your wits end, and your nerves are frayed. You take a deep breath and try one more time to settle him. You pick him up, cradle him in your arms, and hum a tune while walking and rocking him back and forth gently. After a few minutes he finally calms, and looks at you and smiles before falling asleep. You sigh and smile to yourself…..THE INNOCENCE.

Your beloved grandmother just passed away. You’ve come from the funeral and are having a quiet moment when your 6 year old comes in. She grabs a tissue, and while wiping your tears, she tells you not to be sad….The angels will keep Nana company. You sigh and smile to yourself…..THE INNOCENCE.

You’re helping your 12 year old get ready for her first school dance. As you both look in the mirror while you fix her hair, her eyes widen, and with a terrified look she turns to you. You ask her what’s wrong and she says….What if a boy tries to kiss me? You sigh and smile to yourself….THE INNOCENCE.

It’s high school graduation day for your youngest. He’s upstairs getting ready and you’re proudly waiting downstairs, camera in hand. He comes down, fully donned in his cap and gown, with a wide smile. He sees you, and knows, that while you are as proud as you can be, you are barely keeping it together, for you know your nest is soon to be empty. You tell him, holding back tears, that this is the first day of the rest of his life. He replies, with a big HUG and a grin….Chill Mom, I’ve got this!!! You sigh and smile to yourself…..THE INNOCENCE.

It’s your daughter’s wedding day. You’re finally through with last minute details and you make your way back to her dressing room a few minutes before the service begins. You find her by herself, crying softly. You grab a tissue and, while wiping her tears, ask her why she’s crying. She looks at you and says she’s scared….that she won’t be as good a wife and mother as you. You sigh and smile to yourself….THE INNOCENCE.

Your son calls you. His wife has gone out with friends for a much needed lunch and a movie. He’s babysitting. The baby is fussy and he’s not sure how to calm her, he’s tried everything. Can you help? You’re not far away, so you agree to stop by, knowing your daughter-in-law would welcome your assistance. You get to your son’s within an hour, and find him….nerves frayed…holding your very upset granddaughter. You take a deep breath and take her from him. You cradle her in your arms and hum a tune while walking and rocking her back and forth gently. After a few minutes she finally calms and looks at you and smiles, before falling asleep in your arms. Mouth wide open….your son looks at you and says…HOW DID YOU DO THAT? You sigh and smile to yourself…..THE INNOCENCE.

Through our sorrow….they CRY
    Through our joy….they SMILE
    Through our love…..they LEARN

Through their INNOCENCE…..WE FIND OUR STRENGTH

God bless you, your children, your family and friends.
    HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!!!
    Weeper

Note: This originally went to an email list of co-workers, family, and friends. It has never been formally published, nor has it ever been put on social media or the internet, that I am aware of, until now. I don’t “own” the words, but I did “put them together”. I’ve asked you to share this, and by all means, please do so. Just remember the author, and where you came across it, if you do!!

14. dalethorn says:

I have many memories of my mother, sitting on her lap while she sang “Playmate, come out and play with me, and bring your dollys three, climb up my apple tree…..” And she would recite other kid’s rhymes, like the birdie on the window sill. But the most important things she ever said were to remind us every day that truth is sacred, that God is always observing us, that we must always be honest and truthful, and so on.

15. moe2004 says:

So blessed to have met all you wonderful people eight years ago, you truly have enriched my life with your wisdom and kindness.
    This is a tough Mothers Day in the Smith house, my Mother in law passed on April 1st, say a little prayer for my husband who is having a tough time today. He will receive many hugs today, needs them.
    Hoping all the Moms have the best day ever, I will be enjoying beautiful flowers from my son and the Red Sox whom my Grandmother introduced me to. Very thankful for them all, yes I am blessed.

• Weeper says:

Thoughts and prayers are with you and hubby 🙏 Mine has been gone for 22 years, hubby’s for 18. Both taken too young. Today is a day of remembrance and memories in our home.

Enjoy your day 🌺

16. golsono says:

A BLess ed Mother’s Day to all Moms. My mother, 92 this year, has sacrificed much to ensure my solid, and I think balanced, direction. Late in life I finally came to realise this. Thank you Mom!

17. Steele81 says:

I was blessed with an amazing mother! Beautiful, she modeled in NYC, smart, 2 masters degrees and a career in education. She was in love with my father all her married days and their devotion to each other was evident for each of her children to see. I have often marveled at how she got it all done. A hot breakfast for 4 children, a full work day and then a full meal for dinner, which always included a green and a yellow vegetable😀 She never missed Mass to my knowledge until she was just too infirm to make it. Sunday dinners were incredible and on time. Four kids in private schools or college at one time, she wore the same suit to church every Sunday. I miss her wit and humor, quirky like mine. If I thought of a good pun or joke she was the one I called first and we laughed loud and long. If I flew anywhere, I called her the minute we touched down. She was my friend. I miss her.

18. Thank you Menagerie. Happy Mother’s Day to every mom 😇

19. FofBW says:

Thank you Menagerie for starting my day off right! Happy Mother’s day!

20. Happy Mother’s to all mothers who read and post here! Some of us are grand mothers and we are so blessed! Happy Mother’s Day to them also! God bless you all!

• Weeper says:

Fellow “grandma” here. I always like to say that grandchildren are God’s gift to us for allowing our children to survive their “teen” years!!!! 😉

Enjoy your day 🌺

• NewNonna!! says:

Thank you all for your memories shared today.

Weeper, thank you for ur post. I agree w ur thoughts about grandchildren being God’s gifts to us, but I just change up the last part of that sentence as follows: for allowing us to survive the years of prayers, and hopes, for our children growing up and out of adolescence, HOWEVER long that might take (the grandchildren as well as the growing up and out of adolescence.)

Thank You, God! My new grandchild is such a blessing. Thank You, Jesus!

🙏🏼🌸

• NewNonna!! says:

PS: Happy Mother’s Day to all moms and grand moms, Godmothers & special aunts here on CTH. SD, to you and urs, too!!

To the Trump and Pence moms as well.

🥂🌼🌹

• Weeper says:

TY NewNonna…..and I hear what you’re saying about the sentence especially the HOWEVER long that might take. Sometimes raising teens can be the biggest, longest, challenge of our and their lives.

🙏🌺

• Fe says:

My daughter was easy, my son not so easy, lol. Both grew up to become parents of their own two children, all girls.

• NewNonna!! says:

Yes, Fe, God bless them, all of our children!!

The ‘easy’ ones, the ones who turn ur hair gray with worry, all of them.

May they never (choose to) be separated from the Love and Mercy of God.

🙏🏼 God, please hear our prayers for them as we trust in You and Your timing! Amen.

21. straightstreet says:

Happy Mother’s Day to all the treeper moms!

22. navysquid says:

I don’t know who Menagerie is…but THAT. WAS. POWERFUL.

Great synopsis of a Mother’s life…

23. nontroll says:

“Mama”

Who’s the one who tied you shoe when you were young
    And knew just when to come and see what you had done
    Mama oh mama
    And who’s the one who patched your eye and told you not to cry
    Cause he was to big for you to try
    Mama mama

And who’s the one you didn’t need to plead
    To give her time to the little league
    It was mama oh mama
    And who’s the one who gave her shoulder
    When you told her your first love was over
    She’d met someone older mama mama

It was mama, my mama, mama, oh mama

Who’s the one who taught you obligation then dedication
    Results graduation mama mama
    And who’s the one who’s shown the friends you’ve known
    A home away from home when they were tired and all alone
    Mama mama

And who’s the one who held a tear inside
    When you introduced you future bride
    And who’s the one that didn’t mean to cry
    As you walked down the isle through tears you saw her
    Smile
    Mama oh mama
    Mama my mama
    It was mama my mama

24. Truthfilter says:

I’m sitting outside right now in my mother’s backyard drinking coffee on this beautiful Mother’s Day morning. Over in the corner, the deep purple bearded Irises are blooming against the fence. These were transplanted here years ago from my grandmother’s house on the farm where I grew up. I hung out with Grandma on a daily basis as a child. I helped her plant and pull weeds from her numerous beds of irises, daffodils, lilies, and other perennials. The bearded purple irises instantly remind me of a verse she used to quote while working in her garden: “Consider the lilies. They toil not. They spin not. And yet Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.”

This is one of many verses that Grandma taught me just by speaking them and pointing to some related flower or animal or situation in nature. She was half Cherokee and had only an 8th grade education but she knew the Holy Scriptures front to back.

As an adult, it is a blessing to be frequently reminded of her in nature and to have so many Scriptures embedded in my heart.

I could give so many more examples but today I’ll stick with the purple irises. If God has clothed and provided for them better than the greatest kings, what more can He do for the likes of me? Forty years later, I see an iris and hear the words and feel the peace of Grandma’s God.

Happy Mother’s Day.

25. Minnie says:

Thank you, Menagerie, Happy Mothet’s Day to you, too!!

God bless all the Mom, Grandmoms and Aunts in our lives.

And God bless all the children! God charged us with their care and I am honored and thankful for His blessing.

❤️🌼❤️

26. Alleycats says:

Thank you Menagerie, for that very touching essay. Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers, step mothers, and grandmothers in this magnificent treehouse.

My special memories are of a tradition my blessed children started when they were very young.
    I was married at 17 and had my first child at 18. Like many young marriages, ours did not last and I was a single mother of 3, at the tender age of 26. I raised them the best I could, making sure that every single day I told them how much I loved them, that we would always be a family and that they were a blessing from God. I eventually remarried to the husband I still have 20 years later.

The first year we were alone, I woke up on Mother’s Day to the sound of activity in the kitchen, which was unusual in our household. Before I could get up to investigate, my babies came into my room carrying my cutting board (the only thing they could find suitable as a tray, lol). On it was a bowl of cereal, toast, poptarts, a banana, juice, and coffee. I remember it as if it were yesterday. They had gone out into the back yard and picked a bunch of flowers which they placed in a drinking glass, and had hand-made Mother’s Day cards they secretly worked on together. These amazing children told me that they couldn’t buy me a present, so they decided to feed themselves that day and serve me breakfast in bed. They were 8, 5, and 4 years old.
    It was, to me, the best breakfast I have ever eaten in my life.

From that day forward, until the last child left home, every Mother’s Day, without fail, they picked flowers and brought me breakfast in bed. Now, grown and with families of their own,when they call me each Mother’s Day, we laugh and remember different years’ meals they made. My oldest son always sends me flowers, no matter where in the world he may be. One year, when he was serving in Afghanistan, he still managed to make sure I had my favorite yellow roses delivered.

Now, I get to tell my own daughters Happy Mother’s Day, and some day hopefully, they will say the same to their daughters. I often think of my beloved Granny who raised me, long after she raised 10 kids of her own. She was my saving grace, and my inspiration for motherhood.

• farmhand1927 says:

I rec’d gorgeous yellow roses from one of my sons this weekend. The tune, “Yellow Rose of Texas” has happily been replayed several times in my mind. Happy Mother’s Day.

27. NJF says:

Beautiful post Menagerie. Thank you.

Wishing everyone here a beautiful loving Mother’s Day.

I extend the wish to everyone, bc all of us; sons, daughters, husbands & friends all help to create and celebrate this special day.

And lastly, if anyone knows a woman who will be alone today, please invite her to join in. Even if she is not a mother herself, she is a daughter and has a mother to celebrate.

Happy Mother’s Day everyone!

28. Alison says:

Such loving stories from all of you. We would be nowhere without Mothers willing to give us life. God Bless you all, Mothers and Children of God. 💐💐💐

29. mustang4176 says:

Excellent SD and those who shared their stories!! God bless you Mom’s 🙂

30. Raven says:

Happy Mother’s Day to all the Mothers, Grandmothers and Mothers to be!

God never gave my husband and me children — although we did all the doctorin’ to make it happen, God had other plans.

And twenty six years ago this coming June 28 my sweet little Swedish mama took her own life, 40 days after my most amazing papa died of cancer (May 19, 1991).

So this day is bittersweet to me. But I know the plans God has for me, plans to prosper me and not to harm me, plans to give me hope and a future.

I imagine one day in Heaven God may give me a different kind of 72 virgins — babies aborted on earth by mother’s who did not want them. That is just one of my day-dreams of eternal Paradise in Heaven with the Lord.

• Minnie says:

Raven, God bless you and your husband ❤️❤️

• patrickhenrycensored says:

When you get there Raven, say hello to my Mother.
      Look for a 4’ 9” woman who helped raise hundreds of other people’s children throughout her life, in spite of the heartbreak of losing her first child soon after birth.
      After three more birthings, her life was ravaged by cancer.
      She never complained though, even as she left this world suffering in pain.
      Last thing she did was ask God to forgive her, and thanked Him for letting it be her.

Happy Mother’s Day Mom
      Taught me about about love.
      You were one hell of a woman.

• Aqua says:

I’m so sorry. This must have been very painful. Believe and trust that there will be a day when The Lord needs you most of all, to watch over the babies He is holding in his arms.

And while here, I hope tomorrow is a better day for you than today. Relationships with others leave a lasting impression no matter whether they are neighbors, nieces and nephews, or friends. You have you’ve helped many people just by posting here today. I have four adult stepchildren, missed the baby times, too. It was so tough. You must be a very strong person.

My flowers are blooming. I don’t know how–we’ve had so much cold and rain. But somehow, they have come up, tall and straight, filled with color. My mother always told me that this got her through many lousy, horrible winters. So I wish you, too, many flowers in bloom, surely a sign of God’s love for us.

31. Kristin says:

Thank you.

32. youme says:

I am crying out

33. rsmith1776 says:

Happy Mother’s Day – Mothers are that little yet indefatigable best that stays in – and with – us, even when they are gone and we may feel that all that’s good and beautiful was endangered by their disappearance.

34. auntiefran413 says:

I have no horror stories to tell (thank heaven) and no wonderful tales to tell (unfortunately, but want to thank each and every one of you for sharing your wonderful experiences. Happy Mother’s Day to each and every one of you wonderful ladies!

35. tax2much says:

Mothers all want their sons to grow up to be president, but they don’t want them to become politicians in the process.

John F. Kennedy

36. Sean Supsky says:

This was composed on this day. It is not about any single mother, yet it is a composition of all mothers throughout time and all over the world, and yet, it is also very personal, how I view my mother. the strongest woman I have ever known, and my best friend. For each can take away from it what they will.

Mothers

Mothers, the ones that carry us

Others know not the burdens

Together, in their heart and souls

Heroes, unsung by the masses

Easily the most courageous

Relishing the love bonds

Shaping, showing, loving.

Most important, for life to be

Offering care and support

Tenderly, lovingly caring

Helpers, healers, our comfort

Easing the pains, so easily wrought

Rushing to our aid

Standing proud, strong.

Making the days a blessing

Overly protective at times

Trusting heart and soul

Holding the hearts

Evolving the soul

Remembering when we are weak

Silently giving love.

Mothers the world over

Only a call away

Taking the lead

Hoping for the best

Echoing our lives

Reaching forward

Sending gifts

My mother said to me

Only remember that I love you

Take my gift of life

Hold it in your heart

Ensure that you never forget

Regret not our time together

Sleep in peace

Many days will pass

Often they will be hard

Take no heed of the evil that abounds

Hear the voice within

Echo my heart for you

Relish out time together

Save our memories

Make the most of your life

Obtain nuggets of wisdom

Treat others with honor and respect

Helping those in need

Enter into life with joy

Run to happiness

Stand strong and proud

37. Sean Supsky says:

Well, I attempted to make a post, but apparently it missed the train and has to wait for the next one. Anyway, here is the link to what I posted earlier if you care to check it out.

38. Patriot1783 says:

Love your posts Menagarie…Happy Mother’s Day to you and all the Mothers here on the tree. I also would like to give a special shout out to all those who have a birthday today that share the day with their moms.

• NewNonna!! says:

I happened to have been ‘due’ on Mother’s Day, and was actually born on Mother’s Day. My birthday won’t fall on Mother’s Day for many more years because of Leap Year coming up, but this has been my best birthday and Mother’s Day so far due the birth of my new grand baby. Just sharing…

39. SandraOpines says:

Happy Mothers Day to all. Here is my Mothers Day Mantra tweet.

40. Guyver1 says:

Remembering my Mom- my happiest memory…
    My ship had a port of call close to home, so I showed up at my Mom’s place- she loved surprises- unannounced and in my full Tropical Blue Coast Guard uniform.
    As I held her in my arms, I told her “Mom, every family has to have a disciplinarian- without a disciplinarian, a family descends into chaos- a chaos that extends into the children’s lives as adults.
    It is an ungrateful job- no one understands you, except other people who end up with the job.
    In our family, the job fell on you. In my family, it has fallen on me.
    Now that I have children, and I have that job, I finally understand you.
    You did well.
    Thank you, Mom.”
    She smiled, and burst into tears of joy. So did I.
    We stood there, hugging, shaking and crying tears of joy, for what seemed like an eternity.
    A memory that will stay with me forever.
    Thank you, Mom.

• NewNonna!! says:

That’s truly awesome Guy. I think back hating that I was the disciplinarian all those years, but ur words to ur mom have made me feel better. Thank you for that. Besides ur own mother, you gave at least one Treepers mom a happy Mother’s Day moment, too. 😊

41. Lucille says:

For You created my inmost being;
    You knit me together in my mother’s womb.
    I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    Your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.

– Psalm 139:13-14

42. Pingback: Odds ‘n’ Ends « Been There, Done That

43. Great article….. Happy Mother’s day……and not only to you, but to all the wonderful women posters in our CTH community. You are much loved and appreciated!!

44. stella says:

Thank you Menagerie for this wonderful Mother’s Day tribute. So many other great stories from our visitors, too!

45. JoD says:

Hope that all the Treehouse Moms and their Moms and their Moms and everybody’s Moms had a beautiful day filled with Love.
    Happy Mother’s Day!