President Trump Calls Turkey’s President Erdogan…

It’s not on the official public press release page yet, however several media are reporting a call between President Trump and President Erdogan.

(click to enlarge)

Taken in the abstract it’s disconcerting for President Trump to be congratulating Erdogan on the controversial referendum. However, I had a sense this was going to happen because Press Secretary Sean Spicer really FUBAR’d a diplomatic protocol earlier in the day when questioned about yesterday’s election result in Turkey.

The brief, albeit painfully poorly worded response from Sean Spicer comes at 14:50 of the video below [Prompted – just hit play]. Spicer unintentionally pushed President Trump into an subtle and uncomfortable diplomatic position with his response:

[@15:00] …”My understanding is there’s an international commission that is reviewing this and issues a report in ten to twelve days, and so we’ll wait and let them do their job – there were international monitors throughout Turkey.”

… “I think at this point, we’d rather not get ahead of that report and start to make decisions without knowing, there were observers there as there routinely are, and I’d rather wait and see”…

…”Again, I’m not going to, they have every right to have elections, and their people participate in that before we start getting into their governing system, let this commission get through its work.”

By referencing an international commission reviewing the validity of the election, Press Secretary Spicer appeared to be calling the election results into question.

The optic of the U.S. President questioning the validity of a democratic election within a strategically needed NATO country could end up being a major media issue. Micro FUBAR.

Shortly after Spicers’ remarks the phone call to Erdogan appears to have taken place.

Spicey Cat says: “Um, Sorry”

This entry was posted in media bias, President Trump, Sean Spicer, Turkey, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

211 Responses to President Trump Calls Turkey’s President Erdogan…

• LibertyVibe says:

There have been other “trusted” alternative news sources of late that have been calling Spicer’s loyalty into question. He is likable as a personality. But he is now being referred to as “Team B”, along with Priebus. This is a group that is willingly sabotaging the POTUS. How is Spicer doing this? By not doing his best (via the Press) to adequately communicate the President’s agenda. If that is sabotage, than I would have to agree. Our own Sundance probably does the best job BY FAR of that.

• Jimmy Jack says:

In his defense, he is constantly under fire in a way we have not seen any press secretaries – even W at the height of Anti Wism. He’s even playing the Easter Bunny.

He’s very popular with Redditers and stands up to the MSM making them look like children openly.

Now if he’s replaced, I hope Trump goes with Ingraham or Coulter. Really piss them off.

• harrietht3 says:

Personally, I want a man in the job. You know, a man, not some wimp in trousers.

So I’d be displeased immeasurably if #1 Sean were replaced, and #2 egregiously displeased if replaced by a woman, and #3 if those women were either of the two ladies you suggest.

FWIW.

• I am sure the globalists that have hijacked the WH are also questionable in their loyalty to Trump- it seems The Deplorables are all but forgotten. This consists of Jared and Ivanka- and the Goldman Sacks contingent- But I do not trust Priebus he’s too close to Ryan…or Pence for the same reason. I only trust Bannon. What a mess!

1. duchess01 says:

Oopsey – but, wasn’t Sean giving an answer that was understandable considering the obvious? Perhaps, President Trump would have called anyway – after all – our President is diplomatic –

However, there is cause for concern – what did anyone think when they read the ‘close’ results of this particular vote – weren’t we all expecting this to happen – well then – maybe President Trump anticipated this result – nothing appears to surprise him – nor does it derail him –

Nice picture of Sean, Sundance – 🙂

2. Paco Loco says:

Spicer will be gone in six months…too many faux pas.

• andrewalinxs says:

Since you seem to be keeping track could you care to give a list?

• Maquis says:

He’s still pretty damn impressive. His command of so many rapidly changing subjects in the Administration always gets my attention. It’s a tough job, and I haven’t seen a better in any Administration for a good while.

Still, this was, definitely a micro-FUBAR.

Just have him caned on the South Lawn, four or five ought to suffice, and he’ll be right as rain. 😲

• B says:

I agree but I hope it doesn’t take six months.

• olderwiser21 says:

Paco, I totally disagree. I think Spicer has been excellent in his position. No one is perfect and I doubt anyone else would do any better considering the hostility he faces each and every time stands in front of that lousy bunch of scumbags. He has my support.

• mikeyboo says:

I totally agree with you. We have international observers even at US elections. It doesn’t imply anything. The Turkish government obviously allowed the observers to be present. Spicer has held up extremely well facing a press which is almost uniformly hostile to the Trump Administration and eager to play “got cha” at any opportunity real or imaginary. Sorry to see the same bull chit here.

• Jimmy Jack says:

I do too. I like The Spice is Right.

• Travis Bowie says:

Spicer could make his own job easier with the following response…

“I’ve already answered that question.”

With the pack mentality of the press corps, they keep asking the same question over and over in large part because he keeps answering it over and over. They’re much more interested in arguing with him and trying to trip him up than they are actually interested in the answer. The more he tries to rephrase his answer to essentially the same question, the more likely he is to slip up and give them something they can pounce on. They know that.
      When they ask essentially the same question again, if he’ll simply reply “Asked and answered” and then immediately call on someone else, they’ll alter their behavior quickly. They get their one opportunity a day to try and be the one that makes the headlines for that day. The easiest way for them to do that is by tripping him up. “Asked and answered” and moving on means that reporter wasted their one shot that day. Yes, it will piss them off, but they won’t make the same mistake the following day. Every other reporter in the room will look to avoid wasting their shot the next day, as well. Spicer will likely need to do it to a couple of reporters, but it won’t be long at all before they’re all “trained”.
      The result will be smoother answers from Spicer, more subjects covered, and fewer briefings spent mostly answering essentially the same question over and over again.

• Keln says:

Your average Press Secretary doesn’t have to deal with anything close to what Spicer has to.

If you can find a better one, go ahead. Nobody is infallible, but he literally crosses swords with the media on a daily basis. Chances are he will screw up once in a while.

So tire of us eating our own.

• georgiafl says:

^THIS^

• elleb77 says:

I don’t think he should be fired (there seems to be a lot of that in this admin) but I always thought Mike Huckabee would have been the best Press Sec. The man has a gift of making the media look stupid and does it with a smile on his face. A master.

For all we know, Huckabee was offered and turned it down. It wouldn’t be a fun job.

Tammy Bruce would be good too. A lesbian who used to be president of NOW – defending Donald Trump. The optics would be awesome.

• M.A. says:

Me too, Keln.

Upon reading, I was a little surprised that people were already attributing this to an attempt by Spicer to sabotage Trump. My first reaction was if the appropriate message was not communicated, how do we know that Spicer is being briefed on exactly what the President’s position is?

Didn’t Sundance recommend that Trump needs 2 press secretaries?

We’ve got to stop helping our opponents keep picking at and yes, picking off, our warriors.

• Jimmy Jack says:

I couldn’t agree more Keln.

I stand by Spicy. 🌶

• bertdilbert says:

I do not see the big issue here. Sean was asked about irregularities in the election and that was what he respond to. His response seemed neutral to me. He did not agree with the reporter but left it up to the commission to figure out. He also stuck up for Erdogan when it came to the right of the people to vote. This does not qualify as a FUBAR.

Trump and Erdogan have lots to talk about as stated in the news clip. It would seem appropriate for Trump to call even if Spicer got down on his knees and worshiped Erdogan.

It is common place for politicians to call when another has a victory and catch them in a good mood, Everybody understands this.

I am going to have to file this as a nothing burger event,

• bertdilbert says:

At 14:50 pm Eastern, then it is already 9:50 pm in Turkey. The time suggest that Trump would have made the call prior to the comments on the election. I would also think that someone from WH would set up a telephone appointment for something like this.

• Daniel says:

No… I don’t know about that. I think changing expectations (which Spicer is certainly will do as these types of things continue). Does this cause Trump to appear incompetent? I don’t think anyone would think so. It’s like the Bush sr + Quayle ticket. Quayle developed a reputation which did not harm Bush sr. And the public had simply grown accustomed to it all. And frankly to offer up a fresh kill to the media is a bad move.

If we find ourselves at war, I can imagine Spicer voluntarily reassigning myself to support the effort by giving up his post.

• heldnmut says:

I hope not as I think he’s doing a pretty good job. This career only offers an on-the-job training program. How do you really prepare? And I’ve been around several decades and NEVER seen such a hostile press environment. What a challenge to anyone!!! I hope DJT gives him the time he needs. Sean is sharp; I believe he’ll nail it.

• LibertyVibe says:

Are they faux pas or deliberate. This is getting ridiculous.

3. If the lapdog media scum weren’t constanly trying to perform their ritualistic gotcha, AND IF PEOPLE STOPPED WATCHING THEM! none of this would matter a damn.

• sundance says:

Agreed…. alas.

• MaineCoon says:

That’s why I don’t think it matters who is in that position. The media will pound on them until they beat him to a pulp. I personally hope Spicer stays. I don’t think PDJT needs a revolving door in every position.

• Jerzy2GA says:

Megan McCain complains so much about his performances on “Outnumbered” she should be the replacement until she taps out.

• olderwiser21 says:

Megan is a huge ego with a big mouth. I don’t like anything about her and as far as I am concerned, she is in with the “never Trump” crowd and isn’t fit to polish Sean’s boots.

• Jerzy2GA says:

Another thing, she complains about “isolationist this, “neo”-isolationist(whatever that means) pretty much every day even though she’s rebutted on more than one occasion. I’m glad she voted for the president but she was misguided on what she voted for.
          To make make “America First” sometimes you have to be preemptive instead of sticking your head in the sand waiting for North Korea to take out a chunk of California I mean nothing in the president’s speeches said we will sit back while everyone is nuked and we are left standing. Who will we sell goods to? Who will we buy goods from?Sometimes I wonder about these so called “experts”.

• joshua says:

was thinking….maybe if WE got to CHOOSE what part of California that got “taken out” and made a deal for that alone, maybe we could get NK to do us a big favor. Best immigration reform possible.

• She has her position because of her dad. She is vey very ill informed, politically motivated and poorly positioned. She is the weakest link of that 5tom and I turn it off when she is on. As an add on I would suggest ALL of that group do their homework. They are poorly informed on their daily subjects. I can do better research on the web in 5min.

• Marc says:

They’re not poorly informed. Those talking heads are intentionally misinforming us, the viewer. Megan is a neocon and globalist to the core. She was the replacement for Andrea Tantaros, who had no political goal in mind and simply said what she believed to be right and honest. Megan speaks ill of Spicer, Bannon, Stephen Miller, Jared, and any other member of Trump’s team that doesn’t tow the Uniparty line.

• graciegram says:

You are so right. I quit watching after Andrea left because all the rest of them don’t know their subject and are just teleprompter readers. Most of the time I know more than they do thanks to Sundance and all of you.

• Roy says:

I like Andrea also, I guess Ailes hit on her and she sued, was my fav on The Five along with Kimberly (thank God she is still there), never watched the Megan McCain show, surprised she voted Trump, trying to get back in good graces with Republicans I assume.

• mamadogsite says:

She is a John McCain mini-me….ignorant, arrogant, and not fit for the positions they hold.

John McCain ran one of the most unsuccessful Presidential campaigns because of his ignorance and arrogance. He was has the personality and smell of a cold dead fish…a loser, top to bottom. She belongs on HGTV….although I don’t see any talents that would qualify her for even that channel.

Talentless, clueless, brainless…yep…she’s her Father’s daughter alright.

• maiingankwe says:

Thank goodness I don’t watch it anymore. It really changed after Andrea left/got booted. I had really liked her and when she was gone I wasn’t watching it as much. When they put that nasty thing on called megan I quit watching it completely. I cannot stand her or her father.

Oh, and she wouldn’t last a single day in Spicer’s shoes. We’d have a full blown hissy fit with lots of bawling soon after. She doesn’t have what it takes and she knows it. It’s why she is such a royal pain in the bum.

• Southern Son says:

But This is #WAR!
          With the Enemedia on the Front Lines.
          And Erdogan is a Very Formidable Adversary.
          Enemedia will fight for Antonio in Opposition to Our Movement.
          In each Battle, Cuts n Bruises are to be expected.
          I find it hard to imagine anyone fighting as hard everyday, as Sean has.
          He is a real Patriot on Our Side, and I hope he stays.

Press ON!

• elleb77 says:

Why is there a press conference every day? Is that frequency really necessary?

• Aqua says:

Yes. The press’s “gotcha” game extends to this part, too. They will only feel good when they have chased out all Trump Administration and supporters.

But we’re not going to let that happen.

• Pam says:

So true

• Texian says:

I don’t watch them, this is first I’ve heard about this. Why people continue to watch fake news is beyond me.. I’d rather watch the lightnin’ bugs or something. I believe I saw a rare Prairie Falcon today.. swooped right down in front of me then curved into the trees.. God Bless Texas..

• Wend says:

How beautiful!

I haven’t watched one press conference and don’t intend to.

• olderwiser21 says:

Exactly…..why waste your time watching the press play “gotcha”, hoping to be able to create something out of nothing. They are a despicable bunch and I have better things to do…..

• Wend says:

Me too-Your name says it all. I was lucky-my stepfather red-pilled me on the Enemedia in 1964. Never wasted a huge amount of time on them after that. I did hang out with them when I was a diplomat in Warsaw and most of them were very nice. Fun to party with, but that was a loooong time ago!

• piper567 says:

When pressers are posted, I only watch Spicer’s little intro.
            I have tried multiple times to listen to the Q & A, but the very first Q p**ses me off, so its click-time.
            Really embarrassing. sad.
            But I appreciate his little intros…they work better for me than consulting the WH infoline.

• cozette says:

The press conferences now top soap operas aired at the same time in terms of ratings. They are much watch TV. At reddit the Donald there is a huge Spicey Spicer fan club. The schedule live time watch parties. They rate his replies using hot peppers to indicate how spicy they are. It’s a hoot. I learn slot by watching the pressers for myself rather than relying on spinmeisters to select snippets then spin them for propaganda purposes. I’m a primary source girl in this era of blatantly very fake news which includes FOX.

• Jedi9 says:

Ahhh reminds me of my days in the New York country side at 18 mile creek. I witnessed a Red tail Hawk wrestle a snake from a crow in mid air, which was in of its self a art in motion of nature. Truly beautiful. Always go back to nature to reset the perspective point of our being!

• Wend says:

Yes, we just watched these huge crocodiles going after wildebeest in Africa on I think the Nature Channel-amazing. I love crocs and gators, also Komodo Dragons.

• maiingankwe says:

Twice now I’ve seen four snow geese in the same area. The first time they were in a V, the second time they were flying directly behind one another in a straight line. I love our feathered friends. And yeah, I’d rather watch them any day of the week.

Sweet on your prairie falcon sighting. They just make the day perfect.

• JoAnn Leichliter says:

I wish I could have seen the prairie falcon. My Texas visits (San Antonio with a friend who lives there in the Fall/Winter) get me out and about a bit, but when we are in the Hill Country I miss my horse.

• eagledriver50 says:

AND THAT IS WHY I COME HERE…TO THIS WEBSITE TO GET ALL THE NEWS THAT IS NOT FAKE NEWS…Besides, SD has a wonderful tree to perch on and watch a President lead from the front and not from behind…

• weddingcake411 says:

Unfortunately the Media is so busy watching themselves they wouldn’t notice… They work hard to keep Sean on the ropes hoping for a mistake they can gleefully cannibalize. The press corps assigned to the WH has nothing but time to kill.

• Daniel says:

The absurdity is becoming clear even to the casual liberal. Only the leftists use this to maintain their confirmation biases. People are getting used to this and seeing it for the disgusting agenda it actually is.

4. Sentient says:

I guess you have to deal with the NATO you have, but I hope at some point we can give up the pretense that Turkey has anything to do with the West.

5. Gov Jay says:

Sean Spicer has his good moments… but occasionally suffers from terminal bumbleritis…

• Doug says:

Sean Spicer has way too many faux pas.. We all make mistakes but as everyone knows the media will pounce on everything he has to say… I think we will be looking at laura ingraham in a few months time.. she just strikes me as the most safe and effective option

6. trialbytruth says:

I Am sure this was probably an accurate portrail of POTUS’s position but probably not for public consumption. I personally don’t think Turkey is an ally to anyone but the Muslim brotherhood. As such I really don’t see any strategic value to the U.S.

On the other hand they do hold the keys to the refugee door to Europe. I am not sure however that the European who are being blackmailed by him see him as an ally.

• Maquis says:

I’m sure Europe mostly values his Gate Keeper role, provided they are kept CLOSED.

For us, perhaps the value of maintaining them as a “NATO Ally” is preventing them from becoming a Russian outpost if not an outright Russian Protectorate.

Also consider the amount of trade between Turkey and Europe, and, not least, the countries like the Netherlands that have such large populations of Turks, proportionally, that maintaining relations with Turkey is tantamount to a ransom, or Jizyah more accurately. Full scale Jihad is a possibility in many areas of Europe if their Turks aren’t kept happy.

• Southern Son says:

Speaking of Hands.
      Everybody, including Erdogan, do the Four Finger Wave.
      THEY!, are Our Enemies!
      MB won in this Election.

7. rsanchez1990 says:

Why does Sean keep making himself the story? I’ve been saying it since the beginning, Sean needs to slow down during the briefings. Sometimes his mouth gets ahead of his brain. Most of the time, it results only in stuttering and repeating/correcting himself. Sometimes, he gets ahead of his boss.

• singingsoul says:

It is funny and obvious that now it is Shawn’s turn to be slammed. I guess all of POtUS staff have to take turns.
      What is discerning that instead of focusing on their own foibles people focus on President staff that is doing a great job.

• harrietht3 says:

I so disagree with all this dumping on Spicer; and frankly, I’m tired of it.
      He doesn’t walk on water — so what do you expect?

Perfection? Flawlessness at every presser? He is human, you know; and I hold a very high opinion of him and his work and of him as a person.

Just so you know.

• LoveofUSA says:

Exactly why I had to stop watch Spicer’s Pressers. Sean tends to overexplain. I wishhe would just answer the question and move on.

Why can’t Sean just give the report and then just leave. If the press have questions, just write them down on paper and drop it off in a box on the pulpit. Then Sean can answer them the next day followed by another day report, then turn around and leave.

The press’s noise is so annoying–like a broken meat grinder.

• rsanchez1990 says:

I will give this to him. He could do what you said, but the press would still ask him the same question five days in a row, even if he answered it on day 2.

• LoveofUSA says:

What’s nice about doing it this way is so that he can lump bunches of similar questions into one answer. And then ignore those repeated questions thruout the week/month.

It’s such a waste of time, watching these games the MSM is allowed to play. It’s like a whining teenager on a bad hair day during a downpour. MSM are so ill-mannered, and should not be tolerated. Most of them really are NOT the press as defined by the Constitution. They are gossipers and slanderers.

• cozette says:

I believe it is educational for Americans to actually witness the very fake news WH “reporters” in action. These are the people who feed the propagandists in the MSM. Frankly, when you watch and see how stupid and petty they are it re enforces Trumps.message about how the MSM is betraying the American people with lies and spin.

• singingsoul says:

When I watch the group of so called reporters I can see their hate towards Spicer and whom he reprisents. I am not sure that many could keep their cool having all the venom spewed against them on a daily bases.
              I hope Shawn reaches for Holy Water after the to cleanse himself from he evil spirits that attack him during the press report. He should pray some prayers by Francis McNut.

8. MaineCoon says:

I recognize that look on that cat’s face!! Yah, I’ve seen that look before!

9. Donna in Oregon says:

I think it is fine. Better Erdogen’s congrats are an after thought. muh Turkey. Erdogen is another half-baked lunatic. The Islamic crazy going on during his ascension to ‘Supreme Ruler’ is obvious. This clown car cabal is way too much drama; another failed state in the making.

• dutzie60 says:

Donna, I agree. Within 10 years we’ll be at war with them and all moslem countries for the survival of the west. And I think it will be a war to the death of either the east or the west. Oh how I fear for my grandkids so personally I could care less if his diplomatic feewins gets hurt. And lay off Spicer he ought to beetch slap everyone in that room multiple times a day. 😀

10. fleporeblog says:

Sean Spicer is great at his job! I am amazed how much information he is able to retain on every aspect of the administration. Unlike the cabinet position’s where you are able to know the ins and outs within your area, Sean is responsible for every one of those areas. Even in this area that might have led to our President having to make the congratulatory call, Sean was able to speak to very specifics pertaining to the international monitors and the 10-12 days required for a review.

• MaineCoon says:

I agree. When he first started his job, Spicer got rave reviews on CTH. Oddly, his strength of openness and transparency might also be a weakness at times to some, but I think he is very good at his job. He and anyone else in that position will be controversial with this left-msm. He is extremely loyal, which goes a long way with the boss.

• sundance says:

Oh I agree. I hope all don’t take this post as Spicer bashing. That was not my intent. People make some mistakes when walking the tightrope of diplomatic issues and ducking gotcha questions along the route.

It wasn’t a big deal, that’s why I said a micro-fubar. However, it was enough of a deal to require a little clean-up via a diplomatic phone call etc.

Spicer does a great job. He’s got verbal scuds launched at him from all directions 24/7 and every once in a while his patriot battery misses one during reload.

No-one should expect perfection. The reason for the post was more to explain the reason for Trump’s call, not a knock on Spicy..

• jeb71 says:

No, no, this is typical of how President Trump does things, sending conflicting messages! No way Sean goes out there to mis-speak. He said exactly what he was supposed to so the President’s call seems like a correction. Now no one knows what the real goal is and the MSM is distracted by what appears to be a blunder while all the chaos created does its magic on Turkey, NATO, and all surrounding conflicted areas, plus confusing Putin and the EU. Love it, get with the program, President Trump is already multiple steps ahead of the naysayers who will be hyperventilating over this all week. Mission accomplished!

• jeb71 says:

P.S. Sean Spicer is doing heavy combat duty, committing many mis-spoken deeds in order to create the hypoventilating MSM chaos just so the President has cover to accomplish the goals he has been planning for many years. Sean deserves the Medal of Honor for sacrificing himself for the greater good!

• MaineCoon says:

Thanks for posting this perspective. i was just about to post a similar one. You summed it up nicely.

11. Erdogan is another Quran loving liar. MIT expert claims latest chemical weapons attack in Syria was staged On April 18, 2017 By fuhrerious88In Truths. MIT person is right.

12. Sedanka says:

Trump turns principles into reality the only way they can ever be made real – by dealing the world as it is and negotiating better and better results. Meanwhile a bunch of virtue-signaling pundits scream about “Trump congratulating a dictator.” I don’t think that President Ted Cruz could have negotiated his way out of a pair of slippers.

13. Rickster says:

It’s the media that set the trap and the whole team fell for it. Everything I have seen from the MSM is that Erdogan stole the election, is consolidating power, yada yada. Sean does not go out there without a script. If the ball was fumbled it should not fall on just him. Just saying.

14. filia.aurea says:

I can’t even watch the idiotic scum questioning any more, Their persistent stupidity, and obvious collusion on “follow-up” questions is too much for one sane individual to handle. Sean needs a deputy for at least 2 days out of the week.

15. danield49 says:

Spicer’s fault… 🙄

16. pjb535i says:

oops. ididirong

17. ALEX says:

Not sure you want to let someone go this early and give them another scalp. I will admit I have watched brief moments of his press conferences and do look through the comments of the treepers on the thread here occasionally…

Even before this article I have been thinking about how Sec. Defense and DHS do interviews. They are very straightforward and own these reporters. They don’t even entertain a follow up or any gotcha garbage…

Spicer is way to cute by half. He’s the wrong person by a mile. He will be replaced and hopefully by someone with the demeanor I posted above. This is all out war and no use bothering with the cordial stuff…If he can’t figure out the entire press conferences are just set ups, then move on…

18. A2 says:

I don’t think it was a ‘fubar’ response. If the questions from the peanut gallery are included, it seems to me Mr Spicer was just answering a hypothetical that if there were irregularities that other people, a commission and poll watchers are lookng into it, and not to get ahead of the story, and the administration is not “getting into their governing system” because “they have every right to have elections, and their people participate in that”.

Not skillful, but as others have stated above, those damn gotcha questions.

That’s what I heard and also agree that the President was scheduled to call NATO member Erdogan after the referendum and get down to important business like holding Assad accountable and the anti-Isis strategy.

19. ALEX says:

I should add I have no problem with President Trump calling Erdogan and now that I see what was discussed, it’s exactly what I thought he would do. He used the phone call to keep the main issues front and center, and it is important for people like Erdogan to feel he can call Trump, just like XI from China did recently after meetings…Neither of these leaders are exactly western…Laugh…

I do recall President Trump saying ” stability,not democracy” dozens of times and we won’t be seeing democracy outside Israel anytime soon in Middle East…

20. CathyMAGA says:

Personally, I think it’s a good thing Ergodan knows people are looking at the ‘election’. We all know how he won it. Trump’s a big boy, he can handle it. He has to be diplomatic. But doesn’t have to agree/like/condone any of it. Which, I’m sure he doesn’t….he’ll find the leverage though…

21. yohio says:

For 8yrs never seen or heard anyone in the media ask questions like they do to Spicer regarding President Trump. Every question is a setup or a gotcha question, not sure anyone else would fair any different. The answer isn’t really what the media is looking for it’s the hurting of Trump and or his allies is the Goal!

22. Weeper says:

Thank you for the heads-up Sundance. Looks like hubby and I may be talkin’ Turkey for dinner tomorrow. ☺️

23. ediegrey says:

I love Sean, he does a fabulous job. He handles the media perfectly. Who knows what is intentional and what isn’t. He makes these media hacks look like the pathetic jerks they are, all the while he remains very professional and polite.

• B says:

No I think Trump could do much better.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Exactly. It think SD is right that this was a FUBAR, but I think Sean may have been thinking fast and “fouled the ball on purpose”, rather than let the media drive the press briefing into a pop fly “gotcha” where the administration either insults Erdogan (good for presstitutes) or is too sympathetic with an incipient dictator (good for presstitutes). Now, Trump can make the needed congratulatory call without worry – because his underling “screwed up” and pushed him into it.

Years ago, I had a boss who would do this. If it was in any way possible, he would pounce on the grenade with some kind of “mea culpa” before anybody else could respond. Everybody loved the guy for it, too.

• kurt72 says:

I believe this is exactly what happened. Probably planned that way. This is how Trump operates. His books detail how he accomplishes what he does. Amazing to witness!

24. KevinK says:

It is disappointing to learn that President Trump called up the Islamofascist Erdogan to offer congratulations on a referendum that appears to be rigged and which will result in less democracy in Turkey.

The UK and the EU have both expressed concern over the legitimacy of the vote and the EU vote monitoring agency said it was not conducted on a “level playing field”.

If in fact Spicer misspoke that would be a major screw-up as I would imagine the administration has been giving serious consideration for some time now on how to respond to the predicable outcome of this referendum. This referendum didn’t just happen over-nite – it has been on the way for months. The only other way he could have responded to the question posed to him would have been to say the U.S. accepts the results of the election.

Turkey may be a member of NATO but I would hardly call it an ally. It is purposely flooding Europe with Muslims who are in essence Erdogan’s invasion force. More than any other country Turkey added and abetted ISIS (although the U.S. has lots of blood on its hand). Turkey should be turfed out of NATO. Why is President Trump embracing Erdogan?

• KBR says:

Talking to Erdogan is not embracing Erdogan.

Taking out the lumps before making killer deals is not the same as bowing and kissing: wrong POTUS, that was the previous one.

When your opponent wins a match, congratulations are in order: does not mean you no longer stay on the court for the next set. (Tennis, but applies to all sports…and also to keen diplomacy and killer deals.)

In politics, like gambling, there is so much cheating going on. You don’t automatically call out the cheating until you can prove it. Sometimes you can beat the cheat in the next hand by playing better and smarter. Penny-ante poker cheating isn’t worth a gunfight: give a penny now and win a fortune later by beating the cheater and the cheat.

Just my two cents.

25. LKA in LA says:

I am going to support Sean Spicer. No one is perfect and imho it is time we have his back. President Trump and his administration needs loyal warriors to help MAGA. We have to condition ourselves to stop the knee jerk reactions and realize we could just as easily choose to be supportive.

26. A2 says:

The State Department also issued this statement that is in accord with Mr Spicer’s comments:

“We encourage voters and parties on both sides to focus on working together for Turkey’s future and to maintain a meaningful political dialogue,” said acting State Department spokesman Mark Toner. “Democracies gain strength through respect for diverse points of view, especially on difficult issues.

“We look to the government of Turkey to protect the fundamental rights and freedoms of all its citizens,” Toner continued. “The United States continues to support Turkey’s democratic development, to which commitment to the rule of law and a diverse and free media remain essential.”

There us also no time stamp for the phone call. There is a 7 hour difference between Istanbul and Washington DC., so the President’s phone call and the presser does not at this time mean that the call was made after the presser, thus leading to the above speculation that the President was cleaning up a faux pas by Mr Spicer.

• cozette says:

Too bad America doesnt take it’s own advice about democracies relying on respect for diverse view points and the importance of a free and fair media.

27. Watcher says:

President Trump could have told him to knock off his support to ISIS. And not even mentioned the referendum.

28. lovely says:

Spicer doesn’t set POTUS’s agenda through faux pas. POTUS sets his own agenda. Spicer wears dark suits instead of those ghastly pastel ones because POTUS said “Doesn’t he own even one dark suit?”

Spicer’s remarks left POTUS plenty of room to treat Erdogan as the Islamist savage that he is.

29. B says:

Spicer has got to go.

30. B says:

I’ve had enough of Spicer. President Trump you can do better. Please do so ASAP!

31. FRED says:

Whe I listen to Dana Perino on FOX…rarely…..super rarely…….. never the 5…… I wonder deep down how did she get that job because honestly she speaks in mono tones and her voice is just not suited for an anchor. No levity and she stutters hems and haws and repeats…Everything you learn in the first years at journalism courses……Her drab personality and unending Trump bashing for her boy GW makes me think Spicer is doing just fine. Learning takes a while………

32. fangdog says:

I watch these press briefings and I know why I watch them, but I don’t know why they have them.

33. WVPatriot says:

The first thing that I noticed when I arrived at destination The Conserative Treehouse — The Last Refuge — was the high level of substance and lucidity. “We” must not allow ourselves to erode to the level of mendacity.

We are proclaimed patriots and defenders of freedom; not prima donnas of irrelevance and corruption.

STAY THE COURSE with heads held high and chests thrust out!

34. Timmy-the-Ute says:

The Administration may very well not feel comfortable with the outcome of the referendum. but Pres. Trump still needs to deal with Erdogan on a number of issues so the phone call. It is obviously that most with American interests in mind would had wished the the coup a couple of years ago would had succeeded, but the called by the President today is another issue. The call after comments by Spicer are not likely related in any way. We are still officially allies with Turkey thru NATO and neither sides are officially making moves to break out ties.

35. Jimmy higginbotham says:

I confess that I’m confused about the nature of the US relationship with Turkey/Erogan, an Islamic controlled country that was recently buying oil from ISIS in Syria, but I do know one thing, and it’s that we have huge leverage with them. As a member of NATO, they get access to US weapons, such as the F16 that shot down the Russian MIG24 recently.

36. I still miss Ari Fleischer, he was so much fun to watch, when he twisted the press up.

37. Jeff says:

Rule number #1 of the top ten rules of politics is if you’re DEFENDING the perception is you’re losing or guilty of something . Understanding these rules and playing them to the letter is our President’s MASTERY .

He displayed the ability over and over again . Not the least of which with the platooning of his campaign managers ending with Kelley Ann .

The “drive by media ” is only there in that room hoping for an error or GOTCHA ! They are not interested in the TRUTH .

The job is feeding the sharks . Some days you get bit !

38. Tom W says:

A good press secretary is either out of mind bland beyond all tolerance, or really effective at messaging…Spicer is neither and he should resign this summer when things slow down

39. dreadnok89 says:

Is he wrong tho? Nobody believes the validity of these results. This guy staged his own coup and blamed the united states. Meanwhile he floods germany with turks and has them cause chaos. This dude is another creep weak obama let fester and grow.

40. mamadogsite says:

Too much fun sitting on our limbs here in the tree and looking down on the babbling, fumbling, msm.

Now that the election is over, we get an even clearer picture of some very small, petulant, low intelligence ants who collectively and constantly pat themselves on the back, run around like they are relevant and important, look and act exactly alike, and obey their queen ant. They tend to walk in straight lines, one behind the other…rarely leaving the colony.

I guess, if I catch a presser now and again, the ant image comes to mind. They are so predictable…and tend to be pests.

Yep…too much fun sitting on my perch watching the busy little ants.

41. Phil aka Felipe says:

Trump is going to be nice…until it’s time not to be nice.

42. Michael says:

Trump becomes Prez. against massive predictions to lose.
    Prez. Trump smacks Syria.
    China appears to be distancing self from NORK.
    Prez. Trump smacks Afghanistan.
    Coincidentally NORK has another failure to launch.
    Erdogan receives a polite phone call from Prez. Trump.
    Read whatever you want into this but go look again at the photo Sundance provides and ask yourself does Prez. Trump look conciliatory or does he look more like this?

43. quintrillion says:

25 quotes from the mouth of a-hole erdogan:

44. Frank says:

The media should be expected to always twist everything into the most negative talking points possible. That’s what the scummy propagandists do, and is why no one considers them credible anymore. But I thought Spicer’s response was appropriately neutral here. Somebody asked him about a policy change in Turkey and Spicer’s response was the professional version of “I don’t know, let me get back to you.” I didn’t interpret his answer as inferring doubt about President Erdogan’s referendum victory.

45. pochas94 says:

Trump called Erdogan. There was a reason. We may not know all of it. What we don’t want is a President that won’t talk to whoever needs talking to. That Trump would cultivate a relationship with Erdogan is good, not bad.

46. Anne says:

Erdogan has announced that he will reinstate the death penalty. This means that Turkey will stop meeting an essential condition to join the EU. Good!

47. I don’t see how making a perfectly logical statement could have the appearance that there is doubt about the election.

Perhaps only by journalists who have no other perspective on life than to crawl into every crevice, every crack, and trump up (pun intended) any piece of drivel in spite of reality and even truth to the contrary.

These pests of society are like someone looking at ants — you know, these tiny little bastards that get into everything — and print a headline, “Are there signs that conservatives conspire against small black ants? They are marching in rows and working like slaves all day long. It’s sickening, remarked professor, who commented on condition of anonymity. ”

Really? This is news?

48. jeans2nd says:

Am not disagreeing with your analysis, not one little bit, not even a smidgen.

Remember the Gen Mattis quote about interrogations? Something about give me a pack of cigs and a beer?

What the good General did not mention is that before you interrogate, first you slug the guy across the hall but good, in full view of the interrogatee. Then you go in to see the interrogatee with cigs and beer.

Erdogan is the interrogatee. Assad is the guy acroos the hall.
    POTUS slugged Assad very recently, but good. You betcha Erdogan saw that.

This POTUS phone call is the beer. Gen Top Dog will arrive later with the smokes, if necessary.

Oh ya, that bit about tears in his eyes? Ya, well, those are tears of mirth. Sorry, should have told ya.

Spicer did just fine in answering the question thay was asked of him, imo. But who really knows? Not me, that’s fer sure.

If no one has mentioned or seen this, Gen Paul Vallely had a good interview on Newsmax Monday. Gen Vallely seems to me to be agreeing with your analysis re: North Korea, et al, and with POTUS’ actions, fwiw. Now isn’t that odd? Includes a good laugh on the Russian Very Fake News, and analysis of POTUS/Putin sympatico.