In a meeting with Gov. Greg Abbott (R-Texas) and Charter Communications CEO Thomas Rutledge on Friday, President Trump revealed a major commitment by the telecommunications company to invest in America.  Charter will invest $25 billion in the U.S. and create 20,000 jobs over the next four years.

Charter Communications will completely end its offshore call centers, choosing to base 100% of its call centers here in the U.S.  This will include a new call center in McAllen, Texas, “Where they will create 600 new American jobs.”

[TRANSCRIPT] 11:03 A.M. EDT THE PRESIDENT: Thank you very much. We greatly appreciate you being here. I’m delighted to welcome Tom Rutledge, Chairman and CEO of Charter Communications — a great company — to the White House.

I’m also very honored that my friend, Texas Governor Greg Abbott — my good friend and supporter — we love you — is here with us today. Very appropriate. He’s done a fantastic job in Texas, and we had a previous governor who did a very good job, right?

GOVERNOR ABBOTT: Right. (Laughter.)

THE PRESIDENT: Right. He’s around here someplace. Standing right over there.

I’m very excited about the announcement we are about to make. First, some background.

Five years ago Charter Communications was a struggling company that had slowly emerged from bankruptcy. Today, thanks to hard work and unbelievable leadership, truly great leadership, it’s the fastest-growing television, Internet, and voice company in the nation. I would say that’s a good job. Not bad.

Tom Rutledge and his team turned the company around, and they did it very quickly. They created a culture of customer service and excellence. And, most importantly, they brought back many jobs that had been shipped overseas — something that’s happening far too often, but we’re changing that. That is very good for certain businesses but not good for the United States, not good for America, not good for our people.

When American workers win, America as a country wins. We want to have companies that thrive and hire and grow right here in America. And we want them to use American workers and American citizens.

Today I am thrilled to announce that Charter Communications has just committed to investing $25 billion — with a B, $25 billion — you’re sure that’s right, right? (Laughter.) With a B, right — $25 billion here in the United States, and has committed further to hiring 20,000 American workers over the next four years.

Charter has also committed to completely end its offshore call centers — that is such a big deal — and to base 100 percent of its call centers here in the United States — all American jobs. This is great for their workers, it’s great for the customers, and it’s certainly great for the United States. And you watch, it will be one of your really fantastic decisions.

Tom will be opening a brand new beautiful call center in McAllen, Texas — you know McAllen, right, good place?

GOVERNOR Abbott: Great place.

THE PRESIDENT: I knew you would say that — (laughter) — where they will create 600 new American jobs. Charter’s announcement follows a number of American businesses — from Exxon to Intel to Lockheed to Boeing to many others — that have recently announced billions of dollars in investment and thousands of jobs coming into the United States following my election victory. And by the way, thank you for your support. The Governor was a great supporter — a great supporter. I want to thank you for — you’ve done a fantastic job.

We’re embracing a new economic model — the American Model. We’re going to massively eliminate job-killing regulations — that has started already, big league — reduce government burdens, and lower taxes that are crushing American businesses and American workers all over this country. And we are really in the process of announcements and you’re going to see thousands and thousands and thousands of jobs, of companies, and everything coming back into our country. And they’re coming in far faster than even I had projected.

So we’re honored. I’d like to have Tom Rutledge say a few words about what he’s doing and about his great company. And after that, you guys can go back to healthcare. (Laughter.)

MR. RUTLEDGE: Thank you, Mr. President. You know, it’s a great pleasure to announce these jobs. And Charter has been insourcing jobs for the last five years, and as a result of that, our company has performed tremendously. Using high-skilled, high-quality workers actually saves money. It saves money. As you know as a builder, if you do the job right the first time, it’s a lot less expensive than redoing it. And we found that in the service business, and we found that we can actually do better with high-quality, high-skilled American workers.

And so we’ve been doing that, and our company was so successful that we were able to recently do a huge transaction with Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks, and put together this tremendous company. And as part of that, we’re going to insource all the calls that Time Warner Cable outsourced — 50 percent of their calls were leaving the country. So we’re going to bring all that back, and create 20,000 new jobs. And we’re very excited about that.

And we’re also excited about the opportunity, in the right regulatory climate and right tax climate, to make major infrastructure investments. And we’re going to spend $25 billion. We’re committed to spending that predicated on the kind of regulatory consistency and efficiency that we expect as a country. And so we’re looking forward to the opportunity to create these jobs and to build this infrastructure.

And Kip Mayo, who manages our call centers, would like to tell you what we’re going to do in the McAllen specifically.

MS. MAYO: So with the opening of the McAllen center, it gives us the capacity to be able to create over 600 good-paying jobs. That allows us to insource work that is currently performed through third parties.

The McAllen center will be our first fully bilingual call center. It will allow customers who prefer to communicate with us in Spanish to do so, and we will provide them with service and technical support. We have already hired a general manager — very qualified woman who is bilingual, and is also, coincidentally, a native McAllen. We expect to open the call center next month, and we’ve hired over 100 employees already, and they will be trained and they will be ready to assist our customers in just a few short weeks.

So this is a very big step for us in our strategy and our plans over the course of the next few years to create jobs and to bring work in from overseas and back to the United States.

MR. RUTLEDGE: And they’re good jobs, too. And they’re high-paid jobs. They have pensions. They have healthcare. They’re the kind of jobs people want — they’re good, solid middle-class jobs, and we’re proud to make them available.

THE PRESIDENT: That’s great. Thank you very much, Tom. Fantastic job with the company. Unbelievable job.

I’d like to just close it out by asking my friend, Governor Greg Abbott to say a few words, and he’ll talk about the company. But he’s very proud of what they’ve been doing in Texas. So am I.

So, Greg.

GOVERNOR ABBOTT: Sure. Well, first, I’m proud of you. We have a President who’s living up to his campaign promise, and that is to create more jobs, but also to create more jobs by returning jobs from overseas back to the United States.

I want to thank Charter Communications for the great job you’re doing, but also for expanding, in the great state of Texas. We’re happy that this first tranche of your expansion is in the Rio Grande Valley, in McAllen, Texas. You talked about the tax environment, the regulatory environment. Texas is number one in the nation for job creation because of the pro-business climate that we have because we have the right workforce to take care of the needs of companies like Charter Communications.

So this is a win-win. It’s a win for the President. It’s a win for Charter. It’s a win for the great state of Texas. The country is better today because of the jobs that will be created tomorrow in McAllen, Texas.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you very much. Thank you. Thanks, Greg.

GOVERNOR ABBOTT: Thank you, President.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. Congratulations. Congratulations. Thank you.

END 11:12 A.M. EDT

This entry was posted in Budget, Donald Trump, Economy, Election 2016, media bias, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to President Trump Announces Charter Communications Investment – $25 Billion and 20,000 Jobs…

• bertdilbert says:

Just another day of MAGA.

• NewNonna!! says:

WINNING BIGLY!!!

I am so happy for the people who will have the opportunity to become employed by Charter.

I am so happy for the call centers to be manned fully within our country.

I am so happy our President is keeping his campaign promises. Day what?? 64?! This man has more irons in the fire than my chocolate chip cookies have chocolate chips!! Sweet!!

I am so happy to say proudly:

😊🙏🏼🇺🇸🚂👍🏼

• moosebytes says:

Stop living in a bubble. Noone sees this but us. It’s not on Fox (marginally), MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, NPR…I don’t know who is our worst enemy…RINO’s or the “media’. If it’s both, we need reinforcements (and a lot more than came from Goliad)!

• Screw the ‘bubble”. My analogy is that it is 75 degrees and sunny with a refreshing cool breeze everyday. The media keeps telling us it’s 30 degrees and snowing every day. Sooner of later, people, no matter how possessed, will realize it’s 75 degrees and sunny.

• I don’t give one rats ass about what the mainstream media reports. If you’re paying attention to them and not seeing it, then you should be questioning who really is in the bubble. It sure as hell ain’t me.

• Stop telling people what to do. I don’t give a rats ass if the MSM is covering it or not. People are becoming more aware they’re fake and phony. So if they haven’t learned by now and they continue to worry about what is being broadcast on MSM then it looks like the ones living in a bubble, are those who are concerned about what’s on the idiot box.

• No, actually, I would submit that CBSMSMBCABCCNN are living in a bubble. You think because this site is free to access it is somehow inferior? Are we biased? Damn straight. At least we admit it. They don’t.

1. Pam says:

This is just what the doctor ordered. This is what so many of us have been waiting for seeing American workers being hired to do jobs in America!

Thank you Mr. President! 😀

2. MK Wood says:

Good news. Easy when you don’t have to deal with congress. Can we establish the dictatorship yet. -))

3. Monadnock says:

That’s how you start to regain control of the narrative. So the UniParty wins a battle in the Obamacare fight – no matter, they will eventually lose that war. Meanwhile, Trump drops this announcement into the mix – and make no mistake, this is a big one – moving the call centers BACK TO THE STATES…. if this means no more calls to a call center populated with people who can’t speak conversational English… how many of you would ditch your current provider if it meant that the next time you needed telephone assistance, you got a dude named Robert from South Texas on the line, WHO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND AND WHO CAN UNDERSTAND YOU?????! Lower not just the cost of doing business, but also the aggravation factor, and you have a massive winner.

I may have to ditch AT&T.

• ChicagoMom says:

Darn! I’m right outside of Chicago, but Charter can’t provide service here. I’d love to switch.

• R-C says:

Except the Uni-Party *didn’t* win. They lost. They are all now exposed, having allowed their foolishness to overrule the voice of the American People, who quite plainly DETEST ‘obamacare’. Now, thanks to their loyalty to their shadowy sugar daddies, the American People get to keep ‘obamacare’–and it gets to be a massive burden upon their finances, unimpeded by Uni-Party action.

Doesn’t sound like a ‘victory’ to me. For ANYONE. But especially not for the American People.

4. So great to see Governor Abbott of the great state of Texas sitting by President Trump! God bless Texas!

5. alliwantissometruth says:

Nice to see him back in his element, making America great without having to rely on the bottom feeders we call politicians

President Trump will make great things happen when he has no interference

He’s new to this barrel of corrupt & criminal vipers we call government, & he’ll need to learn how the games are played & how to best navigate the subversion of the peoples will

This kind of stuff, bringing back jobs, is his best weapon against his/our enemies, as it will show the people what he’s capable of & show them he knows what he’s doing & what’s best for our country

• tellthetruth2016 says:

I think TRUMP has been watching for 40 years through sober eyes at the swamp creatures, just waiting for his chance … God Bless TRUMP….

• NewNonna!! says:

Amen, truth.. God Bless TRUMP!!

• R-C says:

I still ponder whether Mr. Trump’s victory was ‘one election too late’. I still wonder if it’s too late to save our republic from the powers that clearly seek to overthrow it.

I’m fully behind my president–a million percent behind him. We simply have no other choice.

• jeans2nd says:

Pres Trump new to the corruption of the government bottom-feeders called politicians? Respectfully, no.

POTUS is all too familiar with the political games, and is well-practiced on the best way to respond. This Charter announcement is proof of that.

And a resounding amen to the rest of your comment, truth.

• alliwantissometruth says:

I’d say he’s well seasoned at dealing with local politicians & knows how those games are played. As far as dealing with the enormity of the entire federal government? Not so sure about that

This is an entire different ballgame & it takes awhile to get a handle on all of the bull****

• I posted this in my FB page. It does deserve wider dissemination than it currently is getting!

• Old Codger says:

Sorry, you’re very WRONG about POTUS TRUMP and his experience!

On his very first real estate project in NYC many years ago, he was exposed to ‘…this barrel of corrupt & criminal vipers we call government…” and he’s learned much since then. No “babe in the woods ” is he!!!

Stop underestimating him, as all the MSM pundits do!

6. Big Jake says:

I’ve been saying all along this would happen. The Uniparty *WANTS* Obamacare. It’s Kabuki Theater.

7. Honest Abbey says:

Charter Communications was my cable provider until I was URGED to cut the cord by so many of my fellow Treepers. Actually, I was even called a few nasty names by some when I used to post the “Breaking News” headlines from CNN and FOX News.

What now?

I haven’t had cable TV for almost a month and I am seriously going CRAZY! 😁

• jeans2nd says:

Honestly, Abbey, the feeling will pass. Promise. Withdrawal is always hard. And, CRAZY! ain’t so bad now, is it?

If this trip with POTUS is crazy, please Sir may I have some more?

• R-C says:

I ‘cut the cable’ YEARS ago. Haven’t missed it a bit. Don’t need it. Don’t want it–especially the BIG BILLS that go with it. I’ve found it easier to keep tabs on ‘the world’, without cable–there are fewer distractions for my time.

I’m happy this company is re-engaging and investing in AMERICAN workers–that’s great. But I’m still not getting cable until they let me pick and choose what ‘feed’ I receive. When they stop shoving a giant, EXPENSIVE ‘bundle’ down my throat–300+ channels of JUNK–and allow me to take 10 to 20 channels I actually WANT–then maybe…MAYBE…I go back. (But until then? NO way.)

• Shadrach says:

If you don’t like life w/o cable, get it back. Frankly, I love it when people post breaking news, because I don’t have cable and wouldn’t otherwise see them. So thank goodness for the posters on here who haven’t cut the cord….they’re keeping us all in the know.

Just ignore what other people say to do, and do what makes you happy. Life’s too short.
      I cut it because I didn’t watch it….but I had cable available to me if I wanted it (I didn’t) for a year before I cancelled my subscription. But that’s me, and you’re you.

8. FL_Guy says:

President Trump is working harder than any President in my lifetime to fulfill his specific campaign promises. I honestly believe he is the ONLY President in my lifetime to actually have specific items that he campaigned on. The typical politician just has generalized buzz phrases that mean nothing. President Trump told us what he is going to do and he has started doing it. Everything he can do by himself, he is doing. Eventually the clowns in Congress will have to join in.

Think about it. A four year term has 208 months in it. President Trump is now finishing up month 2 of 208! I firmly believe by month 208, President Trump will have accomplished EVERYTHING he campaigned on, despite the opposition. I admire and deeply respect President Trump! MAGA

• DHarvey says:

no a 4 year term has 208 weeks in it and 48 months. But I get your point and he’s done a great deal in just 2months 🙂

9. Kelly says:

I’m very proud of my Governor. He may be in a wheelchair, but that man works very, very hard for the state of Texas six days a week. It does me good to see that PDJT is so fond of him as well.

10. tonyE says:

I’d rather have a person with a redneck accent on the line…. Y’all agree? ;-D

11. flawesttexas says:

Note that none of the 16 other GOP President Wannabes would have worked to get any of these jobs back to the USA. Trump has committed to bringing jobs back to the USA…and its working

12. Gil says:

The ceo is doing the right thing. Having said that, charter, in my area, buh-lows!!!! Very very bad service. Investing in the us and its people should make a difference. Theres nothing like calling your cable co, getting Manila at 3 a.m., and being laughed at, threatened, and hung up on. (Yes charter it happened.)

13. George Wallace says:

Impressive. I just wish he’d added at the end

‘Oh and by the way, I’ve just ordered the arrest of James Comey and Barack Obama. Further arrests are imminent. See you tomorrow.’

14. ALEX says:

The President is doing his job. MAGA

15. CharterOakie says:

Can’t stump the Trump.
    Pity the fool who think he gonna stump de Trump!

16. freepetta says:

I have Charter it stinks🙁

17. blaze says:

Communications?…what the heck does that mean? The year is 2017 and I still have dial-up. Yep I am rural and we country folks are still too stupid to deserve high speed internet out here. Fiber optic? Is that another name for fancy eye glasses, never heard of it. Maybe Charter will come out here but doubt it.

18. nimrodman says:

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott was just on Tucker Carlson recounting how he has cut funding to Travis County (Austin) where Sheriff “Sanctuary Sally” is refusing to cooperate with Federal immigration law enforcement. Says there’s more legislation in the works for stiffer penalties, including possible clearing of liability lawsuits against either the agency or individuals who refuse to uphold law enforcement.

Worth a watch. Here’s an old article on the issue

19. Winston says:

Charter needs to broken up (along with many of the other media companies). If Trump really wants to MAGA he needs to use anti-trust instead of giving companies like Charter free PR.

20. DevAJS says:

As a Charter Corporate employee (I’m a Lead Software Developer), they had planned this from the beginning when we bought Time Warner (last May), but I’m sure they are probably investing a lot more in infrastructure and a lot more quickly because they don’t have to worry as much about more regulations and possibly loosened regulations. We got an email today from Tom saying that the announced at the White House to give more visibility and to show that Charter is committed to the American worker.

21. solomonpal says:

What? Not in California? Hard to believe. NOT!

22. Piper says:

I’ve been a Charter customer for 20+ years! Proud to say so!!

23. ZZZ says:

Now can they lay some lines in my neck of the woods…PLEASE.’

🙂

24. JLG 🇺🇸 says:

I respect our President more and more with each passing day – great news! (And I get a kick out of his genuine sense of humor – always fun to watch him in action.) 🇺🇸