Back in November 2016 a suspect named Edward Strother attacked a Lee County (Florida) Sheriff’s officer, Dean Barnes, after a high speed car chase. (back story news video here).

During the fight, Strother gained the upper hand and was on top of Officer Barnes when another motorist stopped to assist. The Good Samaritan was a licensed concealed carry permit holder, and he used his firearm to stop the attack.

Today, the Lee County State Attorney released eye-witness video footage of the event showing officer Barnes being attacked and the Good Samaritan warning the attacker (Strother) to stop his assault or he would shoot. Strother refused to comply with instructions to stop the assault and the Good Samaritan shot him 3 times, saving the officer from further injury.

The officer is white, the attacker is black – the good samaritan who saved the officer is also black, and has requested to remain anonymous.   The Good Samaritan has been heralded a hero by law enforcement, and has been cleared of any concern of wrong doing.

The video is not graphic, however it may still be disturbing.  It does contain curse words as recorded by the phone cameras during operation.  The released video is from two separate angles during the attack and the approach of the Good Samaritan.

This entry was posted in 2nd Amendment, Death Threats, Police action, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

128 Responses to State Attorney Releases Footage of Good Samaritan Assisting Sheriff Under Attack…

1. floridahoosier93 says:

Oh my God, dude. The snowflake millenial narrators are like, oh my God, dude.

• floridahoosier93 says:

Proud of the good samaritin with CC though. He’s a hero. Well done.

• skipper1961 says:

floridahoosier93,
        You probably know that a Florida resident does NOT need a permit to carry a pistol in their “conveyance”. Not positive of any applicable statutes, once the person leaves their car (“conveyance”), but as SD wrote, the Good Samaritan won’t be facing charges. I can’t imagine what that man must be going through..

• SteveInCO says:

Most states explicitly allow for you to break a gun-related law in an emergency (just for instance, discharging it in city limits, or shooting someone with it, is a violation–unless you’re in imminent danger of bodily harm).

Running to save a police officer’s life had damned well better qualify as justification for carrying a gun outside your conveyance.

(On a semi-unrelated note, in most of Colorado, and in many other states as well, no permit at all is needed to carry an unconcealed firearm. The laws against concealed carry are a holdover from the day when most honest people openly carried and crooks were being sneaky by CCing. So they outlawed the practice. The problem is open carry became unfashionable after that, leaving most people with no way to carry without facing some sort of social sanction. Open carry should be re-normalized AND concealed carry should be completely legal.)

• RuckusTom says:

OJ faced criminal charges and was found guilty. His civil court case didn’t turn out so well.

• floridahoosier93 says:

How does that change what I wrote?

• Derek of Florida says:

Saved a cop’s life. Should receive a medal and the key to the city or county instead of just “won’t be facing charges”. I know y’all agree with that. But you are exactly right Skipper, about “a Florida resident does NOT need a permit to carry a pistol in their ‘conveyance’.”

• mike says:

Shades of Michael Brown, FaceEater and Travvon, they never learn.

Educational note to BLM, etc:
      If you’re on top and not my wife, you likely could get shot at any time…

• Kelly says:

Of course, if they had been the police officer, they’d want the Good Samaritan to do the same thing.

• Rainy says:

Bahahahahha……dude OMG…….dude

• chiavarm says:

Those same snowflakes would have just let that officer die! But keep on recording.

Also note the “reliability” of an eyewitness accounts in in real time, not to mention after the fact. Both video narrators were inconclusive.

2. MfM says:

I saw this a couple of days ago. I’ve also read that the police officer encouraged the concealed carrier to fire when the man wouldn’t stop his attack.

3. Black rifle coffee company…thin blue line brand 100% of profits go to PD causes….if they are sold out check back daily it comes back up….they are on a roll or roast as it were 😉

4. fuzzi says:

Thank you, Mr. Samaritan.

5. Howie says:

Heain’t gonna dindunuffin no mo.

6. chiavarm says:

Notice that the Police are too late to help the Police.

• J.D. Knapp says:

Thats exactly what I was thinking. When seconds count, the cops are minutes away. It’s important to exercise our 2nd amendment rights.

• skipper1961 says:

J.D. Knapp,
        Sticker on my laptop, “I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy”. TSA LOVES it. (no really,they do).

• Kelly says:

Do you carry your laptop in the same bag where you’ll keep your toenail clippers?

• skipper1961 says:

Kelly ,
            Nay Lass, the clippers ride in my “mojo” (rock climber’s chalk) bag…and IYKWIM.the laptop travels in a military style, hard sided, airtight, watertight “pelican”. case, that would not be very user friendly to any dirtbag on my plane with a box-cutter. . ………. ..

• Kelly says:

Mayhaps in your spare time you can teach the Secret Service a thing or two about laptop security.

• skipper1961 says:

Kelly,
                I have a good friend with the SS, and I’m confident that he would NEVER leave inventory like that IN HIS CAR OVERNIGHT!!!! I believe Dan Bongino, who has been sounding the alarm for quite sometime. There is a crisis of leadership polluting the SS that should be PURGED YESTERDAY! Probably one of the worst results of the soetoro years has been the “social media-izing” of critical security protocols. I’ve been told, that previous to the soetoros, cell phones were NOT allowed inside 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.That is probably the ONE issue I might write off to ignorance, given that it fits the “selfie nation” narcissism mentality. The rest? I think it is indeed intentional dismantling of security structures, as they WERE!

7. Founding Fathers Fan says:

Attack a police officer – you die. Americans have had enough.

8. Pam says:

It takes some major guts to do what the good samaritan did. I’m sure the police officer that is alive today because of him will be forever greatful to this man.

• sunnydaze says:

Phew. I guess! That is one brave guy to just walk over there and stand there so long – relatively unprotected- before taking that nut out.

God Bless that man. He is one in a million.

• skipper1961 says:

sunnydaze,
        There have been almost 2 million CCW permits issued in the State of Florida… The Gunshine State..

• SteveInCO says:

I wish that even a quarter of them were being used at any given time.

• skipper1961 says:

SteveInCO ,
            I hope to never need to “use” mine..

• SteveInCO says:

I meant the permit, not the gun, but point well taken.

• Katherine McCoun says:

I think what you mean is that you wish that everyone who has a carry permit would actually carry all of the time? I don’t always carry and my husband is always on my case, saying that I can’t predict when something will happen. Hopefully never will but need to be prepared in case it ever does

• SteveInCO says:

Yes, that’s it.

Your husband is right, and he loves you.

• skipper1961 says:

Katherine, PLEASE carry whenever humanly possible! Your husband is 100% correct! The ONLY time I or the Mrs. are without, is when showering. (And even then, it’s within reach)). Some may think it extreme, but what good is it WHEN that time comes, , and it’s not in your hand?!..

• MaFreeman says:

Katherine, My little town appears to be peaceful, but they are training for “terrorist / active shooting scenarios. This is a worthy read: …”Suzanna expected a police officer to stop the killer. After all, law enforcement officers ate at this popular restaurant all the time. But the assailant seemed to have no opposition at all as he moved from one person to another, executing people as he went.

Here’s what happened next, in her own words:
                  At that point, the gunman was rounding the front of his vehicle, his right shoulder toward me, when it dawned on me, ‘I’ve got him!’ I reached for my purse that lay on the floor next to the chicken tetrazzini. I had a perfect place to prop my hand to help stabilize my little revolver on the upturned table in front of us. Everyone else in the restaurant was down, he was up, perhaps fifteen feet from me, and I have hit much smaller targets at much greater distances.

Then it occurred to me with sudden and utter clarity that, just a few months earlier, I had made the stupidest decision of my life: my gun was not in my purse any longer! I had done what many people do: I had rationalized that the chance of my needing it was slim, and the chance of getting caught with it somewhat higher. I had figured, ‘Oh, what are the odds I’ll need this thing in a crowded place in the middle of the day? If I ever need it, it’s going to be if my car breaks down on one of these dark Texas roads, out in the middle of nowhere.’ I did not want to risk getting caught with it somewhere and potentially losing my license to practice chiropractic. After all, that was my livelihood we were talking about.

The killer calmly continued executing people inside the restaurant as the patrons looked for ways to escape. In all, twenty-three people died on the floor of the cafeteria, and twenty-seven more were injured.

Suzanna eventually escaped from the killing field. Her parents did not.”…

• maiingankwe says:

I agree. I hope I never ever have to use mine, however, those sentiments will not stop me from practicing and trying to stay sharp. Im sure you’re the same way.

I cannot imagine what that Samaritan is going through. It’s not easy to take a life, even if it is to save another, or yourself. There are a lot of emotions he is going to have to work through.

As someone who had no skin in the game so to speak, I have no empathy whatsoever for the thug. None. Nada.

He saw the gun, he heard the words to stand down. It was his choice to die that day.

My prayers do go to the Samaritan. I hope he will be able to live, laugh and love as he did before this fateful day.

Be well Skipper!

• mopar2016 says:

My 2nd amendment covers CC in my opinion.
          Been carrying for decades here in Chicagoland.
          “These rights shall not be infringed upon”.

That says it all.

• skipper1961 says:

mopar2016,
            I am totally with you on the obvious, IMPLICIT wording of SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!! It’s SO unfortunate that citizens like you, have been criminalized through NO fault of your own, by civil rights offenders, who “run” municipal “powder kegs” like Chicago. I have given a lot of consideration to the ramifications of defending innocent life in a “gun free zone”. I would rather go to prison, than stain my soul with the abandonment of what I know is true, and just. I hope that your weapon remains forever “concealed”, for lack of necessity. Can Chicago EVER free itself of the fabian socialist experiment perpetrated upon it by bloodbags like rahm “tiny dancer” emmanuel? I hope so.

• Valvoline Jackson says:

This man probably would have assisted anyone. As such he is a blessing to have walking the streets. I would hope this county would do something special for him.

• What we have witnessed is the action of a responsible person living in a structured, reasonable, loving, society.
        This should be nothing exceptional; it should be reasonable, rational and normal.
        Understand how far our society has deteriorated into self destruction?

9. Gil says:

How was the perp able to get close enough to do this to begin with? Was this particular cop not a very effective one? I know cops personally so i am far from anti cop, but I always want to know about how personal safety was compromised.
    Happy that the civi who shot is given respect and privacy. And still, thank you sir.

• dreadnok89 says:

My thoughts exactly.

• Maquis says:

Remember Rodney King and his “Folsom Roll”?

These miscreants learn such skills in da big house, and on the street. He looked pretty big too.

Cops can’t win ’em all. That’s why I encourage every nonmiscreant I know to carry. “The life you save may not be your own.”

• wolfmoon1776 says:

It was interesting to read Officer Darren Wilson’s account of his encounter with Mike Brown. It reads like a martial arts analysis of a match. Wilson recounts almost every move that Brown made, followed by what he could and couldn’t do to counter it, as he’s being questioned about why he did or didn’t do something. It was like a chess game. It took many moves for Wilson to turn it around, because Brown attacked first and gained the upper hand quickly.

Obviously, even a little hesitation can be fatal in such circumstances.

10. dreadnok89 says:

On a serious note, why do they let people become cops who cant protect themselves? There is no way that guy should get on top of an armed officer

• Gil says:

Lots of affirmative action hiring. Lower standards, checking off boxes of categorized classes. Cronyism(an unfortunate quantity of it). And some just eek it out until something happens. Bet this cop has issues professionally to some extent. Shouldnt have happened, but glad the right guy got shot.

• Maquis says:

Cops shouldn’t be on single man patrols in my opinion. This stuff would slow down in a hurry if there was a man in blue ten paces away to end a bad guy that attacks his partner.

It’s just too dangerous by one’s self

• kpm58 says:

There is no way the NY Yankees should ever lose a ballgame but they do.

11. flawesttexas says:

Wish this was the case elsewhere in Florida

The new Orange County State Attorney refused to try a murdered cop case as a Death Penalty…even though the police body camera footage showed perp standing over cop and shooting.

Perp is black. State Atty is black hispanic. Cop murdered was black female

Fortunately after much outcry the governor took case from State Atty

12. bob says:

white cop black attacker. where is the outrage. where are the riots for justice. where at the reporters demanding someones head. Oh yeah, black on white crime is no big deal.

13. Theo West says:

For some reason that just totally broke me down and I cried like heck. Glad the passerby saved the officer’s life, sorry the bad guy had to get killed, sad the passerby now has to live with the memory of killing someone. You don’t see stuff like that everyday I guess, though you hear about it. What a world we live in. Mostly just glad the officer’s alive. What a mixture of feelings.

14. alliwantissometruth says:

“The officer is white, the attacker is black – the good samaritan who saved the officer is also black, and has requested to remain anonymous”

Smart move, remaining anonymous, otherwise he’d be hounded by BLM, social “justice” warriors & the media, called an Uncle Tom, etc.

The reality in this country is there’s more patriotic & law abiding black Americans than not, but you don’t see or hear about them

This militant, violent thug mindset is the result of the last 25 years or so of school indoctrination by the left. They’re taught to hate whites, the government, civility & decency, so they can be used as pawns for the leftist agenda

Black Americans are not the enemy, the globalist left is

• sunnydaze says:

BLM would savage this man.

• Maquis says:

I’d still change my place of residence if I could.

Some faceless evil “hero” can out just about “out” anyone.

• mike says:

Yes, I’m sure BLM is outraged. No credible SJW jury angle.

• maiingankwe says:

Credibility has never been a strong point with these snowflakes. But I do see your point since the one who saved the day was black himself.

If he had been white or even a white hispanic, I’m sure they would’ve done their best to have had a memorial right there smack in the middle of the highway angering everyone needing it wanting to pass through.

Have an awesome weekend.

• Lucille says:

According to News 1130 he was identified. They even obtained a rather up-close cell phone vid of the man as he walked away, dropping his gun on the highway in shock. So “anonymous” he did not remain.

Perhaps 30 years ago I read an article (can’t remember the author but I think it was a black NEWSWEEK columnist) who made the statement that blacks are judged by the worst among them whereas whites are judged by the best. A generalization, but a viewpoint that is food-for-thought. Certainly this black “Good Samaritan” is judged one of the good guys in the “best” column.

• JoAnn Leichliter says:

Yes! You are right, alliwantissometruth!

15. Grace Anne says:

I am very thankful for our police community in keeping us safe in our own communities. It is a sad day when citizens needs to keep our police officers safe. The days we live in. Law and order is returning to our land under President Trump.

• skipper1961 says:

Grace Anne ,
      On two occasions, I have posted up behind a deputy pumping their gas. By the time the second occurrence happened, I didn’t even need to explain. . .

• mike says:

We need an APB on VJarrett and The Accomplice.

• SteveInCO says:

We are the ones primarily responsible for our own safety, law enforcement or no. The cops help with that; but they cannot do all of it for you.

A good cop recognizes that a citizen prepared to defend himself is not a problem. I was once solidly praised for CC by a cop; and I know the attitude is common amongst them. (They’re worried about dirtbags carrying.)

16. Mk says:

What kind of world are we living in when no one is willing to put themselves at risk to help a police officer in trouble? It’s very disturbing to me that there is not one but multiple videos of this situation. How about putting the damn camera down and going over and helping the police officer? If some of these lookie-loo’s would have recognized the officer needed help then it might not have taken an armed citizen to end the problem by killing someone.

17. Southpaw says:

I saw this article and video on the daily mail website. It listed the Good Samaritan’s name. It also stated none of the people with cameras and phones called 911.

18. Helen says:

God bless that good Samaritan. He is a hero.

19. Kelly says:

That’s not an easy watch. Thank God (literally) for the Good Samaritan. As for the one filming: why didn’t get out of your car and help, bro. Bro?

20. Keln says:

It’s never good when someone dies. But it’s at least a victory when only the criminal dies.

Feel bad for the guy who had to shoot him though. I doubt he imagined he’d be in that situation, much less actually have to shoot someone. He probably thought when he walked up that merely pointing his gun would do the trick.

Killing someone eats at you. It can eat at you your entire life.

• paulgilpin says:

i wonder if sitting idly by in your car while someone is brutally beaten, and filming it, would eat at you your entire life.
      i will admit, while i was watching the video, i kept thinking/remembering what the police always say. don’t get involved. don’t take matters into your hands. get a tag number. take a picture. then call the police. that’s what the police have said for years.

• Lucille says:

IMO, that apparently not one of those taking cel phone vids called 911 is the only reprehensible thing here among the passersby. No one viewing the situation in real time knew whether the perp was armed. Even now fully knowing the situation, there’s no recorded viewpoint which shows whether or not the man was carrying.

If you are unarmed, would you REALLY run toward danger involving a very large man on top of a smaller one? I’d definitely be on the phone calling 911, but running toward the altercation, absolutely not.

• Keln says:

I don’t know. That’s my point. I’ve been in enough crazy situations to know that I don’t know how I will react for sure unless it is something I am trained for. When things take a drastic turn, it’s hard to predict how you will react. Even the hero in this scenario couldn’t have said for sure how he would have reacted. He just reacted. There isn’t a lot of conscious decision-making in that situation.

21. NJF says:

+1 for the good guys!!!

22. paulgilpin says:

i couldn’t watch the video. ok. i watched the video after i muted it. i thought those cry baby whiney asses were gonna make me claw my eyes and ears out. the man did what needed to be done.

23. heldnmut says:

I’d be curious to know if the officer was conscious or aware and thus able to instruct the Good Samaritan to shoot his attacker? Not that it matters. Law-abiding men (and women) with guns are a force for good in our society. Well done.

24. bob e says:

This happened a few exits down the Interstate from me. Black man on top was a retired prison guard from Nor East US. The white policeman pissed him off with a traffic stop which ended in the
    video you just saw. Great video of the scene Sundance. From day one the good Samaritan
    was not charged with anything. This episode occurred during a streak of police shootings for
    traffic stops ..

25. OverWatch says:

Notice the hamster-mobile easing by in the left emergency lane so they could get their very important destination? These people and the ones that may have videoed w/o calling 911 live in an alternate reality created by an environment where you get your adult entertainment from cartoon movies that we used to watch at 12 years old on Saturday mornings. Nothing is real, even reality. Carry on, ignore the horrors around you, carry on.