You can tell who holds the leverage by the nerves and twitches.  Mexico says they would prefer trilateral trade talks including both Canada and the U.S.; Mexico also wants the talks trade talks to begin ASAP.

Secretary “Wolverine” Ross says bilateral is preferred and there’s no immediate hurry as he intends to notify congress over the next few weeks.  {spit}

Ok, well, he really didn’t spit, but still.  This is exciting stuff.  By mid-summer we shall feel like kids peeking through the fence holes at the O.K. Corral….

(Via CNBC) Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said Friday he hopes to start the formal process of renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement in coming weeks.

Under U.S. law, the government must tell Congress 90 days before it signs any new trade agreement. Ross said he wants to take the step of notifying lawmakers “sometime in the next couple of weeks.”

“We are now in the very early stages” of having the talks to change NAFTA, he said in a joint press conference with Ildefonso Guajardo Villarreal, Mexico’s economic minister.

President Donald Trump has aimed to quickly make good on his campaign promises, including scrapping or tweaking trade deals he deems bad for the United States. The president has slammed NAFTA, and Mexico’s role in it in particular, saying it has sapped manufacturing jobs from the U.S.

The administration has suggested it will try to seek bilateral trade deals rather than those with several nations. Ross said a revised NAFTA will either be two bilateral agreements with Mexico and Canada with “symmetrical provisions” or “one new” deal among the three countries.  (read more)

This entry was posted in Economy, Legislation, media bias, Trade Deal, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

131 Responses to Secretary Ross Will Provide Congressional Notification Of NAFTA Renegotiation Intent Within Next Few Weeks…

1. rf121 says:

I was just at a place that makes popcorn. They were only running at 50% capacity. I think they need to pick up the pace.

• rsanchez1990 says:

We won’t need to worry about Mexico blocking corn imports because domestic demand will skyrocket from all this winning.

• The Demon Slick says:

I read an article the other day about the poor Mexican sugar factory that had shipments piling up because the mean Trump administration is blocking them from the US. I was able to make out the truth hidden between the lines. Apparently there’s a cap on how much sugar Mexico is allowed to import into the US. This cap has been routinely ignored for years. Now it’s being enforced and it’s a shock to them. I know little about sugar imports but it still makes me feel like…..Winning!

• Bill Wright says:

Many of the products that we export are heavily subsidized like corn. Subsidizing a product then exporting it is not free trade. The people who claim border tariffs are some sort of abomination, even tho Lincoln supported them, often point to our heavily subsidized agriculture products being affected by a neo-Trumpian trade war.

Other countries are more than happy to receive our subsidized food exports as agricultural products have a very low multiplier effect. Meanwhile, they ship us manufactured goods which have much higher wages and much higher economic multiplier effects.

Third world countries tend to ship their raw materials and food. First world countries tend to ship finished manufactured goods.

• bob says:

Cropland policy in the US is as screwed up as anything else the government tries to regulate. Studies suggest that 1 us job is created when 100 acres of cropland are put into production. Ask anyone from Ag country what happened in the early 80’s when the CRP took millions of acres out of production. A slow and painful death of agricultural communities. Most of what the government does hurts people, but not necessarily in this case.
          The US feeds the world. Nearly a quarter of the worlds demand for grains they can’t produce comes from US agriculture. Our subsidizing of crops in the US is as much a foreign policy tool, maintaining stability in world food markets, as it is an economic one. The effect of that foreign policy tool has diminished greatly over the last 30 years, from when we provided nearly half of the worlds grain exports, but US ag policies still have major impacts on world food supplies. Remember a few years ago when Mexico had riots over the price of tortillas, blamed on US ethanol production?

I am all for re-examining the US subsidy policies, but you have to be mindful of the unintended consequences, not just for US jobs, but in stability around the world. Hunger has lead to more unrest as anything but religion. Considering the billions the US pays in foreign aid, and the trillions we spend fighting wars, I think the $4 or so billion in direct payments to farmers is probably money far better spent than a lot of the other stupid stuff the government does. That amounts to less than 1% of farm subsidies paid world wide as of 2015, making the US a nobody in the world of subsidized agriculture.

To put it in perspective, the US spent half that amount feeding starving people around the world that same year. How many more starving people do you think there would be if we lost a large portion of our production to subsidized competition overseas? How many new wars? How many lost US jobs and closed businesses? How much more influence would Russia have in Europe and Asia? Far more than $4 billion worth, on all counts.

• I’m telling you, we all need to invest in anything related to Iowa

• FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m not from Iowa. My firsthand knowledge of Iowa is limited to a couple hours spent driving on the interstate one day in May 1992 on a trip from North Carolina to Seattle. I mention Iowa whenever the subject of popcorn comes up only because it seems easy to connect Iowa with corn. I’m sure there are many other states that produce corn of equally high quality.

Also, I am not a certified financial planner, so my investment advice should not be taken at all seriously.

Also, I’m a psuedonymous wiseass named after an heirloom apple variety whose avatar is a drawing of a famously neurotic fictional six-year-old.

2. Fe says:

“Say hello to my little friends” will never ever get old! Bravo “Wolverine” Ross! This guy is quickly becoming my favorite pick by PDJT.

3. pluffmudgirl says:

Villarreal is going to need a larger cloth.

4. Just in Time..
    American Spring…

5. CharterOakie says:

“From the halls of Mont-e-zu-OO-ma….”

6. WeThePeople2016 says:

The guy is extremely intelligent and he also has the guts to take this on. I love that he does it all with a smile to boot.

7. emet says:

btw, Treasury/Customs has had an agreement with the California Franchise Tax Board by which the Federal Govt turns over (probably illegally) import information to the Tax Board which they use to demand and collect a “use tax” on imports. The use tax on imports is of course in violation of the Constitutional guarantee that duties and imposts on imports must be the same in all states. Might be time to ask that the money California has collected over decades be paid into Treasury. Might be able to build a wall or something

8. Preppin247 says:

It has been a long time since America has had competent people in these key roles. . President Trump has left competent in the rear view mirror and hired the best of the best. We thank you Mr. President

9. Athena the Warrior says:

There was absolutely no reason to delay Secretary Ross unless someone was being paid off by Mexico maybe Canada or even China to do so. The days of ripping off los Estados Unidos are over with!

10. toriangirl says:

Artistic interpretation of the upcoming NAFTA negotiations starring Clint Eastwood as Wilbur Ross.

• Toriangirl see my post below! Great minds on same wavelength!😂

• maiingankwe says:

I knew there was a reason why I liked you. Gotta love Clint Eastwood Westerns. Heck, John Wayne is my absolute favorite and throw Sam Eliot in just to make me smile, I’m a lady too after all.

OT: These last few weeks I’ve seen Sundance and his humor in full force. We see it in his well written articles, the pictures he shares, and even some of the comments. I’m relatively new here, so I don’t know if this was par for the course before the elections or just from the results of all this darn winning. I just know I’m smiling and laughing more as I come here to learn on a daily basis. I love Sundance’s sense of humor, and I love seeing it on a regular basis. It’s a good pick me up for all of us. I’ve also noticed more humor from us commenters as well. I especially enjoyed the guy with apple name and Calvin and Hobb’s avatar up above. I’d list his name, but for some unknown reason unable to scroll upwards until after I post this.

I just wanted to say it’s something I’ve noticed lately, and it’s greatly enjoyed. I do believe it is a result of all of this winning and knowing we have a man who cares about every single one of us and fighting for us every minute of every day. Hmm…I’m thinking this explains President Trump and Sundance.

Be well good Treepers and enjoy the laughter and smiles. It’s good medicine while we fight the good fight.

• Stringy theory says:

Welcome to TCH, and keep smiling!

• toriangirl says:

It was Sundance’s “spit” comment that made me thing of Clint’s clip for some reason. My sense of humor never seems to go away, thank goodness. I will confess that my kindergarten teacher told my Mom I had an “inappropriate sense of humor”. No lie.

• skipper1961 says:

maiingankwe,
        How are you and your Dad?
        skipper1961

• maiingankwe says:

Aw man, Skipper, my Father passed away not last Sunday, but the one before.

I’ve been putting some thoughts together in my mind, and I wanted to post some things about the funeral on the open thread Sundance adds in the evening for us. I was going to do it tonight, but everyone was in such great spirits there I didn’t want to ruin the mood or sadden anyone even though I planned on making it upbeat. Funerals are just a sad business for a lot people.

I will put some of my thoughts down I’d like share on the open thread tomorrow. It’s mostly about Vets and growing up as an Air Force Brat. Nothing doom like or dark. Happy moments I witnessed at the funeral.

Don’t feel bad Skipper, it’s okay, you didn’t know. I do appreciate you asking, it meant a lot. So put a yuuge smile on your craggily, weathered skippered face and think of a good sailer song. For me.

Be well,
          Ma’iingankwe

• skipper1961 says:

Ma’iingankwe,
            Oh,.. oh my…. I’m so very sorry, M.. So many thoughts…… I will (like you) save further comment for reply to your post in the open thread, save one. It comes as no surprise that in your response, that (as usual) you are thinking of others ahead of yourself. Be good to yourself, and I will be watching for your “memorial post” later today, in the OT. I’ll try to find an appropriate “sailor song” for you, in the meantime. God Bless you, dear.
            skipper

• WSB says:

Same, M. How are you doing?

• maiingankwe says:

WSB,

I won’t lie, it’s been hell since our small family of three made it back late Sunday night from Wisconsin. Uncharacteristically, I found myself angry as all get, grouchy and just plain wanted to lash out and be mean. I didn’t though, I kept it all in. I wanted to though if I’m to be honest.

I wanted to go target practicing since I love black powder therapy, but minus 32-36F all week in the morning put a quick stop to that idea.

It was an old friend in Arizona who broke the spell. What’s weird is we didn’t talk about it at all. We just talked about what we enjoy doing, cooking, shooting, guns, cooking and shooting and more guns we had forgotten about the first time round. I also think it was my daughter asking for help to study for a test. We studied together for about an hour and it was really a lot of fun. After that I seemed to be alright and back to the same old me.

I do know I haven’t given myself time to grieve and I also know I will be going for a long drive soon and who knows, maybe get out and do some hunting for grouse. I just need the woods around me and be alone with my hunting dog.

I’ve had to be with my daughter a lot and I didn’t want to break down in front of her and become a puddle. I needed to be strong for her. I don’t regret it either. I was just never given the alone time to let it out.

Oh my, look at the can of worms you opened. Well, let’s just say it was good medicine to talk about it, and we will leave it at that.

On the open thread tomorrow I want to write about what the Vets did for my Father at the funeral. It was simply awesome and amazing. A true honor to witness.

Be well, and stay smiling,
          And thank you.
          Ma’iingankwe

• skipper1961 says:

Ma’iingankwe,
            The Mrs. is wondering “what is wrong with your eyes”? I told her that some cigarette smoke got in them. Thanks for the warning. I’ll keep a box of Kleenex handy, before I read your next comment on this subject. Never know when “cigarette smoke” is going to blow my way.

• maiingankwe says:

Oh Skipper, I’m so sorry I don’t want you to be sad. One sad pup is enough, but your empathy does warm ones heart.

We will see you down the road, and hopefully there will be a nice breeze to keep the smoke out of your eyes.

• Katie says:

So sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I just lost mine in Nov so understand what you’re going through. There’s so much to take care of in the first weeks that grieving has to take a back burner. Just know there will be moments that hit you out of nowhere and you need to allow yourself to go through the process of dealing with his absence.

We’re never too old to stop missing our parents. Sending you my condolences.

• maiingankwe says:

Thank you Katie, your words help. I’m so sorry for your loss too. I wish it didn’t have to go this way in the circle of life.

I keep trying to remember our fun times, and there’s a lot, so its been keeping me busy with smiles.

Thank you for the heads up in the future. I experienced that with my Mom’s crossing since 2013. You’re right, it comes from out of nowhere and it really gives a good wallop.

I just foots let you know, I simply love your avatar and no matter what the discussion is, it has always made me smile. See? I’m smiling Bigly.

Thank you for your condolences, and know you’re in my prayers as well.

• Katie says:

Awww…I’m happy my avatar brings you smiles. I’ve had 4 Bernese Mtn Dogs, and lost the second one two weeks before my father died. November sucked to say the least. We still have two and they are good for bringing smiles. Bigly! 🙂

• NewNonnaToBe any Minute Now! says:

M, my heart felt sympathy for what you’re going through. I lost my brave, honorable, meek but strong dad this past December. I understand what you mean about not having the time/space to grieve. To be as strong as you can for everyone else.

I won’t list here all the ways I miss my dad except to say how I wish I could share all this winning President Trump is handing us with him. Dad voted for him and was determined to do so just weeks before his passing. Makes me even prouder of him than I was before the election.

Do let your grief out when you get the opportunity. It’s a shock to lose someone you love so deeply all your life. You are not alone. I look forward to your post tomorrow. The Vets surprised us, too, with the ceremony to honor dad. It was so much more than I’ve witnessed on Long Island. They really did it right here in PA.

God bless you as you continue to be a loving child of your dad. He’d be proud of that, I’m sure. 💕

• maiingankwe says:

New Nonna To Be…,

It always helps when someone understands and has been there before you. December was not that long ago, it was like yesterday. So, I know it still has to be really hard, and for that and your pain, I am truly sorry.

If you ever want to share a story of your Father, I’d love to read it. He sounded like a really good Dad in the few words you expressed, I can see it through the honor you’ve given him.

Please know I and other Treepers are here for you too. And thank you for reaching out when you’re hurting too.

Ma’iingankwe

• WSB says:

Activites, pups, loved ones and Treepers all here for you to keep at it one day at a time.

Keep fighting the down days. I can’t wait wait to hear about the Vets!

11. Ghostrider says:

Notwithstanding Sessions nuking the remaining
    liberal lawyers in the AG office, this, This post is clearly the best news of the day!

12. quintrillion says:

I am hoping Mr. Ross can rip up nafta and start over with a bilateral agreement with Mexico and a separate one with Canada so their is no chance of a nau in the future.

13. jeans2nd says:

Meanwhile, Canada’s Trudeau runs up the white flag and whines.
    Swing for the fences, sonny.

Trudeau makes the case for Canadian energy in Houston

“Recognizing, of course, how much the Canadian economy depends on close collaboration and integration with the American economy…”

14. Howie, do you have an “audio” video of that famous Spaghetti Western theme music always played? :🎶doooo oooo oooo ooo oooo, duhn duhn duhn🎶 …sorry best i can rep,icate 😂

15. Bonitabaycane says:

Isn’t it nice to have “killers” negotiating for America? 🙂

• Charlie says:

Secretary Ross’ smile speaks volumes, appears he can’t wait to toy with stupidity.
      He’ll get the goal while Nieto sits in the corner sucking his thumb. Trudeau, God help him.

16. MrE says:

It’s Christmas in the middle of Lent! I could really get used to the Trumpian Calendar.

17. justfactsplz says:

Wilbur the Wolverine is making America Proud Again. Nieto is going to need a big thirsty bath sheet instead of a thin hanker chief as he will soon be sweating hollow point bullets. I agree with negotiating bilaterally for a better deal for America.

• WSB says:

Had we all been actively participating in our government years ago, we would immediately know Canada and Mexico are two vastly different places. Therefore, two different agreements are required.

How refreshing should it be for career government employees to have a natural leader of the Republic?

Note to those who are not, ….

• justfactsplz says:

With age comes wisdom. Years ago I wish I had had the interest I now have to actively participate. I was a young passive snowflake!

• WSB says:

JFP, my mother is a very active one. I am blessed to have her. When my brother and I grew up, she made sure we knew our family and ancestors’ history and sacrifices. This should be the reason for any love and assimilation melding country and family.

I may have an ancestoral attachment to the Revolution, but so many others should have a proud history and assimilation of their elders arriving and striving in this country.

The one thing that makes us exceptional, is that this country was designed for all of us to take the reins. We are the owners of our own destiny.

• justfactsplz says:

Only in America, right? The American dream is alive and well. Family morals and relationships helped build America. I think America is seeing the err of her ways when immorality was in control and is turning back to God and morals. God bless America again.

18. SoCal Patriot says:

I wonder if the Mexicans still think DJT is bluffing about NAFTA?

19. kallibella says:

And that’s, my treeper friends, is how Méjico will pay for the wall!
    Ay,ah,ayai canta y no llores, porque cantando,cielito lindo, se alegran los corazones [sung mariachis style] 😜😊👍

20. JT says:

I’m hoping Ross keeps the lead role in negotiations. I don’t want Cohns globalist hands mucking things up.

21. Finalage says:

The faster the US economy expands, the more leverage the US will have at the trade negotiation table.

22. WSB says:

WILBURINE!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Texian says:

[No explanation needed..].

24. Trump: I said, ‘I am going to be putting on the greatest killers you’ve ever seen.’ We need that. It’s time.”

Billionaire Wilbur Ross dons the MAGA hat

“Trump has said he’ll direct Ross to identify every violation being committed under existing trade agreements, and a Trump spokesman has said Ross will be the administration’s leader on setting trade priorities, a role usually reserved for the U.S. Trade Representative.”

“He wants to win, but business to him is not filled with a lot of emotion. … Very emotionless, very deliberate, very calculated”

“That face is an evocative one. Ross reminds people of a professor, an owl, or the Simpsons moneybags C. Montgomery Burns. He has a taut, bald dome; squinting eyes behind rimless spectacles; and thin lips that, in conversation, can curl downward, as if he’s slightly displeased. It’s the mug of someone who’s been very sharp for a very long time.”

snippets above from Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-01-26/wilbur-ross-and-the-cabinet-of-billionaires

25. akearn says:

LOL, love the spit, Sundance, perfect. Love Wilbur, can’t wait for his agenda to unfold. Meanwhile, not sure how Planned Parenthood is showing up as an ad on CTH. There is NO reason it should show up on MY CTH. Onward and upward.

26. chojun says:

A tri-lateral trade agreement makes sense from Mexico’s perspective because it allows 2 parties to gang up on the economic juggernaut USA.

27. dreadnok89 says:

i just read an article where cohen and ross are pushing navarro out of the influence sphere and quite possibly the whitehouse. wall street globalists. yuck.

28. americalsgt says:

Got to get this out of my system cause it drives me nuts. Every time I see Ross, I see Wallace Shawn of My Dinner with Andre, Princess Bride, Vegas Vacation. etc

29. Paul says:

In the second 1992 Presidential Debate, Ross Perot argued:

We have got to stop sending jobs overseas. It’s pretty simple: If you’re paying $12, $13, $14 an hour for factory workers and you can move your factory South of the border, pay a dollar an hour for labor,…have no health care—that’s the most expensive single element in making a car— have no environmental controls, no pollution controls and no retirement, and you don’t care about anything but making money, there will be a giant sucking sound going south.
    …when [Mexico’s] jobs come up from a dollar an hour to six dollars an hour, and ours go down to six dollars an hour, and then it’s leveled again. But in the meantime, you’ve wrecked the country with these kinds of deals

30. prof robinson says:

This is developing perfectly… calm, cool, relaxed… not trying to make Mexico nervous or feel like an enemy. Simply business between friends. But just the fact that Ross plans to notify congress 90 days in advance LIKE THE LAW SAYS, sends a thrill up my leg.

31. yakmaster2 says:

Secretary Wilbur Ross, of the mild name and gentle demeanor, is my new warrior hero! Smarts and true grit come in different packages these days!

32. yakmaster2 says:

33. Cast of Characters

Clint Eastwood: Secretary Ross
    Bad guys: Globalists
    The Mule: The America Middle Class
    Old Man at end: President Donald J. Trump

34. Pam says:

Wilbur Ross means business and congress has been put on notice. You gotta love that.