O’ Holy Night…

Luke 2-8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9-And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11-For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. 12-And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. 13-And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

[…] 14-And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.

16-And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. 17-And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.

18-And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds. 19-But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.

20-And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.

This entry was posted in Christian Values, History, Religion, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to O’ Holy Night…

1. Sharon DeLany says:

MERRY CHRISTMAS

2. kim says:

Merry Christmas Sundance and all admins. Thank you for all you do every day of the year.

3. Midnight Rambler says:

What a night that was! The perfect lamb of God is born!

• decisiontime16 says:

“On the night in which Yeshua was born, the angelic message came to those priests of the Temple whose duties had been designated, often from their youth, to “keeping watch over their flock.”

These were not just any flock and herd. The shepherds who kept them were men who were specifically trained for this royal task.

They were educated in what an animal that was to be sacrificed had to be and it was their job to make sure that none of the animals were hurt, damaged or blemished. During lambing season the sheep were brought to the tower from the fields, as the lower level functioned as the birthing room for sacrificial lambs.

Being themselves under special rabbinical care, these priests would strictly maintain a ceremonially clean birthing place. Once birthed, the priestly shepherds would routinely place the lambs in the hewn depression of a limestone rock known as “the manger” and “wrap the newborn lambs in swaddling clothes,” preventing them from thrashing about and harming themselves “until they had calmed down” so they could be inspected for the quality of being “without spot or blemish” .

4. Pam says:

5. quintrillion says:

I remember when I watched this on tv….those were the days

6. frogstamper says:

“But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.”
    I think of that verse often throughout the year.
    Mary kept that foretelling reassuring promise in the safest place – her pure heart.
    God gives all of us heart gifts…memories and moments that are lodged safely in our heart of hearts.
    We all have them – those little remembrances of special times. For those of us without certain family members in our lives…may the recollection of those little presents bring comfort, peace and pleasure to our lives now and for always on this earth.
    For unto us (to you and to me) a child is given…
    Thank you, God, for loving us so much. You are our refuge and hope and ever present help in times of need. Be with those who are needful – be with them especially during this season. I pray for those children, Lord. You know who I mean. Don’t leave them alone, Lord. Let Your Presence permeate their circumstances and bring them home to You. I pray it in the Holy and Precious name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. Amen and Amen.

7. Pam says:

8. Janie M. says:

“O Holy Night” is my favorite Christmas song. It stirs me so deeply, my eyes water. ❤ I like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Josh Groban renditions. Last year, over at youtube, I found this version from the Gaither Gospel Singers featuring David Phelps. Like Josh Groban, he also possesses an amazing voice.

9. Enlightened Vulgarian says:

The Sermon on the Mount scene from the 1961 film “King of Kings”….

10. TheRosyGlow says:

My brother, Martin Thompson, has sung the major tenor role in most of the important opera houses in the world including the New York Metropolitan Opera. Merry Christmas.

11. teaforall says:

Breath taking and beautiful. Grounds us all to our roots of Christianity and the birth of Jesus. This is my favorite Christmas Hymn. Fall on your knee and hear the angles voices, Oh night Devine, Oh Holy night.
    Merry Christmas and God Bless all.
    Tea

12. Sam says:

Thanks you for this, Sundance. It is indeed what the Christmas season is all about.

I get nostalgic at this time of year and remember being in the children’s choir and singing for Christmas Eve services. The adult choir always got Christmas day, of course.

Merry Christmas to you and all the other admins on this wonderful site. And Merry Christmas to the commenters. I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and remembers what is the reason for the season.

13. georgiafl says:

The Birth of Jesus Christ is the Main Event! – changed history and the way we count years and time.

14. Keln says:

I dunno about anyone else, but that vid of O Holy Night made me pretty emotional.

15. wyntre says:

Merry Xmas. Beautiful 1994 performance by the Boys and Mens Choir of King’s College.

16. 7delta says:

Merry Christmas. May you always feel the presence of The Greatest Gift ever given to mankind and it fill you with love and give you peace.

You’re a wonderful group of people. I appreciate you all.

17. filia.aurea says:

Thank you Sundance, CTH. These children from the Killard House Special school singing Hallelujah are precious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvUMDp-snTI&feature=youtu.be

18. andi lee says:

Merry Christmas to
    Sundance & Family, the Moderators of the Treehouse, and you Treepers – what a ride this year has been! Thank you, so much for allowing me here with you, it has been a blessing for me. Truly, a gift. God Bless you and keep you safe.

• justfactsplz says:

I love that song. I remember my parents taking me to the city when I was seven to Christmas shop. The streets were adorned with silver bells and the song was playing. I have loved it ever since.

19. wyntre says:

Interesting origens of O Holy Night. Originally written in French, in 1855 it was translated into English by the American John Sullivan.

“In both the French original and in the two familiar English versions of the carol, as well as many other languages, the text reflects on the birth of Jesus and of humanity’s redemption.”

“The strange and fascinating story of “O Holy Night” began in France, yet eventually made its way around the world. This seemingly simple song, inspired by a request from a clergyman, would not only become one of the most beloved anthems of all time, it would mark a technological revolution that would forever change the way people were introduced to music.

In 1847, Placide Cappeau de Roquemaure was the commissionaire of wines in a small French town. Known more for his poetry than his church attendance, it probably shocked Placide when his parish priest asked the commissionaire to pen a poem for Christmas mass. Nevertheless, the poet was honored to share his talents with the church.

In a dusty coach traveling down a bumpy road to France’s capital city, Placide Cappeau considered the priest’s request. Using the gospel of Luke as his guide, Cappeau imagined witnessing the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem. Thoughts of being present on the blessed night inspired him. By the time he arrived in Paris, “Cantique de Noel” had been completed.

Moved by his own work, Cappeau decided that his “Cantique de Noel” was not just a poem, but a song in need of a master musician’s hand. Not musically inclined himself, the poet turned to one of his friends, Adolphe Charles Adams, for help.

The son of a well-known classical musician, Adolphe had studied in the Paris conservatoire. His talent and fame brought requests to write works for orchestras and ballets all over the world. Yet the lyrics that his friend Cappeau gave him must have challenged the composer in a fashion unlike anything he received from London, Berlin, or St. Petersburg.

As a man of Jewish ancestry, for Adolphe the words of “Cantique de Noel” represented a day he didn’t celebrate and a man he did not view as the son of God. Nevertheless, Adams quickly went to work, attempting to marry an original score to Cappeau’s beautiful words. Adams’ finished work pleased both poet and priest. The song was performed just three weeks later at a Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/entertainment/movies/the-nativity-story/the-amazing-story-of-o-holy-night.aspx#fl3KMe1Jbpu2IP6C.99

• wyntre says:

Oh. Jeez. The best part of the story is that “O Holy Night” is the first song to have ever been transmitted around the world via radio waves.

“Adams had been dead for many years and Cappeau and Dwight were old men when on Christmas Eve 1906, Reginald Fessenden–a 33-year-old university professor and former chief chemist for Thomas Edison–did something long thought impossible. Using a new type of generator, Fessenden spoke into a microphone and, for the first time in history, a man’s voice was broadcast over the airwaves: “And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed,” he began in a clear, strong voice, hoping he was reaching across the distances he supposed he would.

Shocked radio operators on ships and astonished wireless owners at newspapers sat slack-jawed as their normal, coded impulses, heard over tiny speakers, were interrupted by a professor reading from the gospel of Luke. To the few who caught this broadcast, it must have seemed like a miracle–hearing a voice somehow transmitted to those far away. Some might have believed they were hearing the voice of an angel.

Fessenden was probably unaware of the sensation he was causing on ships and in offices; he couldn’t have known that men and women were rushing to their wireless units to catch this Christmas Eve miracle. After finishing his recitation of the birth of Christ, Fessenden picked up his violin and played “O Holy Night,” the first song ever sent through the air via radio waves. When the carol ended, so did the broadcast–but not before music had found a new medium that would take it around the world.

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/entertainment/movies/the-nativity-story/the-amazing-story-of-o-holy-night.aspx?p=2#L1fpxjP4reOIXCdq.99

20. Luke from NJ says:

This as been making the rounds on twitter recently. A beautiful testament and reminder of the value of all human life. A Merry and Blessed Christmas.

• ZurichMike says:

I have a special needs uncle, and my family and I have been involved with special needs children for a long time. This video made me weep with deep spiritual joy: “If you’re feeling excluded, rejected, a stranger, remember the babe who came down to the manger.”

21. toriangirl says:

Merry Christmas Sundance and all!

The angels appearing to the shepherds is one of my very favorite stories. Why? Imagine you were that shepherd out in the middle of the boondocks, minding your own business in the pitch black night as there were no electric lights. All of a sudden – POW! There is an angelic being hovering before you in all of its unworldly beauty announcing the birth of the promised Messiah. If that didn’t make you need to change your robe, after the angel delivers his message BOOM! Before you appears a multitude of these gorgeous beings. Might be a bit of a life changing event, don’t you think? Especially since you were a shepherd – one of the lowest positions on the social ladder.

Of course, I don’t know how the angelic world works, but I can’t help picture the multitude of angels waiting for the signal to appear .. “We’re on in three…. one… two… three….. sock it to them!”

• ZurichMike says:

The church I belonged to when I was back in the US would recite the Luke story at the beginning of the midnight Mass. The church was absolutely dark. When the part came about “the glory of the Lord shone around them” banks of incredibly bright lights blazed on and focus on the Nativity scene in the church. You could hear people gasping at the surprise — and we are such jaded modern westerners used to computer animation and techno-surprises — but still, people were “sore afraid”. And like you, I wonder what kind of strength it must have taken to behold, understand, and accept the angel’s greeting back then.

22. paulinohio says:

God bless all of my fellow Treepers. Merry Christmas.

Glory to God in the highest.

23. “O Holy Night” I get goosebumps when I hear that song ! We have much to be Thankful For living in the USA with Trump as our President Elect ! Praise God and may his Blessings Flow during this coming 2017 New Year !!!

24. justfactsplz says:

Thank you Sundance for this thread. I loved the songs and videos and reading all of the comments. I sat down after a long day and night of preparation for tomorrow and started enjoying this thread. I cried tears of joy just thinking about Jesus birth and thanked Him for coming for me and the world. May you, all of the administrators, and all my wolverine friends have a very blessed Christmas day. Much love and appreciation to all of you sent from me to you.

25. justfactsplz says:

I also wanted to share what happened tonight to my husband. He had been working all day patching up the old fishing boat. He was dirty, his clothes were ragged, his beard unruly, needs a haircut, and had his favorite old floppy black hat on. I had an emergency in the kitchen and was missing an important ingredient. Being the sweetheart he is he jumped in the truck and headed for Publix before they closed. It was probably a zoo.

He was in the store when a little girl walked up to him and handed him an envelope. She stood their and grinned as he opened it. Inside was a lovely Christmas card with angels on it talking about God’s love. He reached in his pocket and handed the little girl a few dollars. She happily skipped away and joined her grandfather. They probably thought my husband was homeless the way he looked and reached out to him.

My husband cried when he showed me the card and told me about the strange encounter. People are saying Merry Christmas and Christians are more bold with showing God’s love this year. We are getting America back. Thank you God for this special Christmas.

26. smiley says: