(New York, NY) – President-elect Donald J. Trump today announced that he intends to nominate U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions to serve as Attorney General and U.S. Rep. Mike Pompeo as Director of the Central Intelligence Agency.  Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn has been selected to be the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs.

trump and sessions

U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions has dedicated his life to public service. He has a distinguished legal career and has served as both the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Alabama and Alabama Attorney General prior to his service in the U.S. Senate. He has been one of President-elect Trump’s trusted advisors on the campaign and will now continue his service as our nation’s chief law enforcement officer.

“It is an honor to nominate U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions to serve as Attorney General of the United States,” said President-elect Trump. “Jeff has been a highly respected member of the U.S. Senate for 20 years. He is a world-class legal mind and considered a truly great Attorney General and U.S. Attorney in the state of Alabama. Jeff is greatly admired by legal scholars and virtually everyone who knows him.”

“I am humbled to have been asked by President-elect Trump to serve as Attorney General of the United States,” said U.S. Senator Sessions. “My previous 15 years working in the Department of Justice were extraordinarily fulfilling. I love the Department, its people and its mission. I can think of no greater honor than to lead them. With the support of my Senate colleagues, I will give all my strength to advance the Department’s highest ideals. I enthusiastically embrace President-elect Trump’s vision for ‘one America,’ and his commitment to equal justice under law. I look forward to fulfilling my duties with an unwavering dedication to fairness and impartiality.”

mike-flynn-2Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, a retired United States Army Lieutenant General and former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, assumes the position of National Security Advisor with a decorated career of more than 35 years in service to our nation. He served as President-elect Trump’s top military advisor during the campaign and will now continue providing expert advice and support to the President-elect as his National Security Advisor.

“I am pleased that Lieutenant General Michael Flynn will be by my side as we work to defeat radical Islamic terrorism, navigate geopolitical challenges and keep Americans safe at home and abroad,” said President-elect Trump. “General Flynn is one of the country’s foremost experts on military and intelligence matters and he will be an invaluable asset to me and my administration.”

“I am deeply humbled and honored to accept the position as National Security Advisor to serve both our country and our nation’s next President, Donald J. Trump,” said Lieutenant General Flynn.

mike-pompeoCongressman Mike Pompeo, representing Kansas’ Fourth Congressional District, is a former active duty cavalry officer in the U.S. Army, graduated first in his class from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, received his J.D. from Harvard Law School and was an editor of the Harvard Law Review. He currently serves on the House Intelligence Committee, which oversees America’s intelligence-gathering efforts.

“I am proud to nominate Congressman Mike Pompeo as Director of the Central Intelligence Agency,” said President-elect Trump. “He has served our country with honor and spent his life fighting for the security of our citizens. Mike graduated number one in his class at West Point and is a graduate of Harvard Law School where he served as an editor of the Harvard Law Review. He will be a brilliant and unrelenting leader for our intelligence community to ensure the safety of Americans and our allies.”

“I am honored to have been given this opportunity to serve and to work alongside President-elect Donald J. Trump to keep America safe. I also look forward to working with America’s intelligence warriors, who do so much to protect Americans each and every day,” said Congressman Pompeo.  (read more)

This entry was posted in CIA, Dept Of Justice, Donald Trump, Donald Trump Transition, Election 2016, Jeff Sessions, media bias, Military, NSA. Bookmark the permalink.

460 Responses to President-Elect Donald Trump Announces Attorney General, CIA Director and National Security…

1. NHVoter says:

2. Pam says:

3. NHVoter says:

Hahahahaha

4. redsequin4 says:

So excited on the AG pick, love Jeff Sessions. Finally an AG who will uphold our laws! It’s a new day. Wolverines and Honey Badgers Unite!!! 🙂

The Age of the Honey Badger Dawns

• DoggyDaddy says:

I really hope you and all the Sessions’ supporters are right — we need the “rule of law” to return. My misgivings about him stem from his vote for the Corker Bill, which besides violating Articles II and V of the US Constitution gave us the Iran Nuke Deal. Instead of supporting and defending the Constitution, 98 senators (including Sessions…only Cotton voted for the Constitution; Boxer was absent) gave power to the Executive that was expressly given to the Senate and not to the Executive by “we the people” and thus ignored Article II of the Constitution and in the process amended de facto the Constitution without following the procedures of Article V. The Corker Bill vote is not something that should be passed off lightly — it is the Iran Nuke Deal but more importantly it’s a fundamental change to the Constitution that the Founding Fathers expressly worried about: concentrating power in the hands of the Executive. Sessions and the rest of the Senate should have been punished, not praised.

• Jedi9 says:

I will say this, as Rudy pointed out in regards to the Iran Nuke deal. It is a treaty, and was not ratified by congress, therefor it can be nullified by one swipe of the pen. If Congress approved of it, then it would have been a lot hard, if not impossible. So if Sessions voted for the Corker bill, it was because he was making appearances with the knowledge that the long game is what he was seeing, not the shorter one. I have no issues with Sessions now being the AG. My main concern is the SOS position, and Romney being seen as a possible candidate. This is probably a trail balloon to give the establishment a look of unity, but would sincerely hope that Romney would not be picked, for he is the poster child of the swamp that they are trying to drain.

• redsequin4 says:

I understand you’re upset about that vote but Sessions is an immigration hawk and IMO will be in lock step with President Trump on enforcing our long neglected immigration laws.

• seventhndr says:

He is a fantastic, if not perfect, choice for enabling the draining of the swamp!

• singingsoul says:

Jesus is not available . He is the only one perfect.
        If a person has lived long enough they have lived and not always the way some people wish.
        I am very happy with Trump’s choices.

• DoggyDaddy says:

Never claimed he had to be perfect in his life…but, when you take the oath to “support and defend the Constitution of the United States” I, for one, expect you to live up to it. He’s a smart man, but on the Corker Bill, he did not live up to the oath he took — that’s why I’m concerned. I expect him to be confirmed and I expect him to stay true to the oath this time.

• I looked up the Corker bill. Ted Cruz was a supporter as well. In fact The Corker Iran bill passed the Senate 98-1 and if you are like me, you are wondering if that one ‘no’ vote was Ted Cruz. Well, it wasn’t. He, along with all of his Republican colleagues voted to pass the Corker Iran bill despite the fact that it cedes treaty power in regard to this Iran nuclear deal to Obama.
            If the bill is wrong it should be changed or revoked. Making it a Session specific issue seems disingenuous.

• DoggyDaddy says:

If you refer to my posting (two above) you’ll see I identified Cotton as the sole vote for the Constitution and against the Corker bill (Boxer was absent). It’s not so much the Nuke Deal that upsets me, but the fact that the Senate violated Articles II & V of the Constitution. Article II requires a 2/3 vote of the Senate to ratify a treaty. Obama knew he could not get the Iran Deal through. In stepped the Corker bill which made a deal with Obama that basically said the President can consider the treaty to be ratified unless 2/3 of the Senate says no. So instead of 2/3 needed to ratify a treaty before the President can put it into action, only 1/3 was needed to keep the treaty from being “unratified” if you will. By doing that, the Senate gave the Executive more power than the Constitution wanted him to have — the Constitution clearly gave treaty ratification power to the Senate and did not allow the Executive to act upon the treaty until ratification. With this arrangement, the provisions so clearly set out in Article II were dramatically changed and, as a side result, the Senate’s unilateral change represented an amendment to the Constitution’s separation of powers and was done in a way not in compliance with Article V. It is not disingenuous to hold Sessions, Cruz, Rubio, and 95 other Senators culpable in violating the Constitution against their oaths of office.

Why did they do this? Clearly it was to concentrate power into the Executive Branch. The Dems were happy because Obama got his deal. The GOP was happy because they knew some day a Rep would be in the White House and this power would be useable. It was the Constitution and the American people who lost because our contract with government (the Constitution) was broken by manipulative, power absorbed Senators. American voters should be outraged, but most haven’t a clue about what happened and could care less that the Constitution was so blatantly violated. And that’s why I have a trust issue with Sessions.

• I understand why you were upset but Sessions in no way did any heavy lifting or personal endorsement of the bill. By your logic no one in the Senate at that time could be considered for any cabinet post, except Senator Cotton.

• Reading further into what was going on it appears this bill was originally supposed to give Congress some voice on the Nuclear treaty since Obama was planning an end run. So many compromises were made in getting a bill that would pass unanimously that the bill itself accomplished only giving a false sense of support to Obama’s deal. This bill was not designed as a gift of power to the executive branch, it seems more like an attempt to at least get to review the treaty. One reason we have Trump as POTUS-elect is because the Senate was so weak and ineffectual that they were steam rolled by the Dems. There is a reason why America’s approval ratings on Congress are in the cellar. Now Obama is all but gone and there is a new wind blowing in DC.

At the time Johnson Johnson said he was trying to keep an open mind but also suggested that Corker’s bill doesn’t go far enough, suggesting instead that Congress should declare the nuclear deal a treaty that must be ratified by the Senate.

“We could have a very simple bill that basically says, that no matter what President Obama says, we are going to call this a treaty and we are going to ratify this as a treaty,” Johnson said, adding that he’s “concerned” about the complexity of Corker’s bill.
                “The Republican Congress is demanding to be heard on a nuclear deal with Iran despite President Barack Obama’s warnings. But it’s the president’s Democratic allies in the Senate that hold the keys to any Iran bill.

Republicans have written legislation they think can move quickly through the Senate. It would give Congress a critical role in accepting or rejecting a deal with Tehran. “

• ufferndan says:

Cotton

• redsequin4 says:

And he’s a real Patriot!

• BebeTarget says:

Also, at last the head of the CIA is NOT a MUSLIM . . . . . can you imagine FDR appointing a NAZI as the head of Intelligence,

5. apcharles says:

You should all see Evan McMullin’s thoughts

6. Trumped says:

Interesting will be what kind of congress or senate candidates follow in replacing the nominees in their states.
    I would wish for candidates running on a pro Trump agenda. Ayotte and Heck lost NH and NV for Trump. Positive Pro Trump candidates would have won these races and possibly the states.

• Pozzo says:

This worries me greatly, our Alabama Governor Robert (The Weasel) Bentley endorsed Kasich in the primary and publicly stated he could not vote for Trump in early October after the sex audio came out.

• mopar2016 says:

I’m hoping that the governor of Alabama appoints Representative Gary Palmer to Mr. Sessions senate seat. He’s the right person for the job in my opinion.

• lzap says:

I would like that. Is Rep. Palmer in good terms with the Governor?

• Sherlock says:

Needs to be someone who can win an election, which will be scheduled very quickly. I think in Alabama the gov. gets only an interim appointment, and a special election will be held quickly. Obviously the interim choice would have a leg up, so important to get somebody in who has sufficiently popular to win that election. I don’t suggest Palmer isn’t such a person–I just don’t know that much about politics in Alabama. I’m sure Sessios is rightly popular, so anyone he’d suggest would likely be excellent. Jeff is the man, and I know Alabama will late to lose him as a Senator, but believe me, we in the rest of the country will LOVE him as AG!!

7. shannynae says:

So…Ted Cruz must be burning down a house somewhere. 😛

• free73735 says:

Saw Cruz on a Drudge article earlier today. Kind of a weird story for Drudge. I am wondering if he (Drudge) was making sort of an off the record remark with Cruz’s comment and Cruz himself.

8. paulraven1 says:

I sort of thought Rudy was more suited to AG. Sessions is very senior in his Senate position and could have been legislative help to Trump. Also never saw him as ferocious reformer like Rudy (and the Justice Dept. needs wholesale cleaning). But what do I know?

9. NHVoter says:

The leftists are totally freaking out. It’s hilarious.

10. janc1955 says:

Police departments around the country are breathing a collective sigh of relief. The thugs, BLMers, and other assorted race baiters, cop haters, rioters and anarchists will be getting a wake-up call shortly.

11. Tim Banis says:

Sessions, Flynn and Pompeo. WOW
    This is getting good, real good.

12. Bull Durham says:

Trump: “I am a common sense conservative.”

It wasn’t good enough for the ‘consistent conservatives’.

What a joke the consistent conservatives have been. Horses’ asses all of them.

13. NHVoter says:

14. free73735 says:

http://thefederalistpapers.org/ This site has news already published, (Trumps selections) I am practicing putting links in place. This one finally made it. If I knew how to delete it I would. Thank you, I think I have it now. 🙂

15. Pam says:

• JC says:

Wow, Pam – thanks for the post and embedded link.

It was fascinating to listen to Trump testify re: the UN building/renovation project of early 2000’s. Watched the entire thing; saw interesting sides to this new Prez of ours. Gained even more insight into his knowledge and experience base, his talents and skills, and his ability to persuade. I’m a property and reno nerd, so I lapped up every word. Kind of a nice way to handle “rally withdrawal” – ha.

16. I’m very pleased with Trump’s choices.

17. Attorney says:

Looking good…

18. Pam says:

19. Pam says:

• marierogers says:

never got into politics seriously, till now..its over but the media is reporting every little tidbit re TRUMP.. had cameras trained on trump tower today for hours because he was going to NJ”.. they are obsessed with every move or non move by TRUMP..
      so much Breaking News which turns out to be a nothing.
      .i do not remember any other pres elect getting so much coverage!
      me? i am lovin it..

20. Bonitabaycane says:

President eTrump continues to hit home runs with his cabinet picks, including a grand slam with Jefferson Beauregard for AG. I am going to have to rest this weekend. I am not used to all this winning! 🙂

21. Pam says:

22. Pam says:

23. Jeff sessions in the AG office means a huge relief to law ip enforcement and immigration laws being applied right away.

24. Texasranger says:

Who is Mike Pompeo.?

Donald Trump will nominate Republican Rep. Mike Pompeo to be his CIA Director, the President-elect’s transition team announced.

CNN News Report Video Nov-18-2016:

25. NHVoter says:

26. Texasranger says:

Who is Lt. General Flynn.?

Meet Lt. General Flynn: Why the tough-talking general riles the media

RT Report Video Nov-18-2016:

27. Pam says:

28. dianeax says:

Our new CIA director. ❤

29. NHVoter says:

LOL

30. Paco Loco says:

The Democrat Party is headed for the ash heap of history. They won’t be able to stop the Trump train. The Republican will not roll over this time as the base will not let them go squishy. The American people gave Trump the “keys to the city” because they want to right the ship of state and get the country back on the road to peace and prosperity. The men he has appointed are outstanding individuals, know their business and are team players. This is going to be one awesome administration!

31. rsanchez1990 says:

It’s strange that the media has reserved their vicious attacks on Sessions and Bannon till now. These men have been with Trump for a long time and it’s not till Trump gives them high positions in government to complain about them.

32. Linda Ruth says:

Unless there is factual evidence to show otherwise, it is apparent that Jeff Sessions has shown himself to have “honorable character” in his political career.

WHY TRUMP PICKING JEFF SESSIONS FOR ATTORNEY GENERAL SHOWS HE’S SERIOUS ABOUT LAW AND ORDER
    By: Chris Pandolfo | November 18, 2016

33. justfactsplz says:

I am pleased that Sessions is going to be A.G. I knew Trump would use him somewhere but I was thinking along the lines of Sessions foreign policy experience in the Senate. He will make a great A.G. and hold their feet to the fire. The media will attack each and every person Trump selects.

34. Wherever Sessions was going to go was the place that is most critical to the country from Trump’s perspective. Sessions has always been Trump’s most respected advisor and greatest asset. The rule of law is absolutely crucial to the nation’s future. It goes to the heart of the immigration problems, the swamp in DC, the voter fraud, the lawlessness in our streets, the corruption in our money and banking system, all of these problems have a law and order solution. And Sessions is the man to provide it. This man has stood alone in the Senate for what is right. He’ll do the same at the DoJ, and it will make all the difference.

LEO’s around the country can breathe a sigh of relief that the DoJ will be behind them 100% as they work with our communities to clean up our streets.

35. Pingback: #TrumpTransition Summary | davenysite