Baltimore Six Update – The Case Against Caesar Goodson Begins Collapsing…

Caeser Goodson Jr mugshotOfficer Caesar Goodson was the police transport van driver who the Baltimore prosecutor Marilyn Mosby has charge with murder.  However, the case is beginning to collapse because as outlined last year the evidence simply isn’t there.

Not only is the evidence not there, exculpatory evidence hidden by the prosecutors continues to diminish their sketchy foundation for the charges.

Last week Judge Barry Williams was put into a difficult position by the State of Maryland when it was discovered the Baltimore prosecutors office had withheld exculpatory evidence, known legally as “Brady evidence”, from the defense team.  This was the third time Mosby’s team had been caught manipulating evidence.  Williams was not happy.

Judge Williams warned the prosecution team and instructed them to go back through all of their evidence and give the defense all evidence, especially anything that might be considered “Brady Evidence”.

Today, as a result of those instructions, the prosecution turned over a statement from an investigative detective showing the medical examiner was initially intent on determining the cause of death to be “an accident“.   The ME changed her position and later ruled Gray’s death a homicide.

Normally such police notes about a statement would not be admissible due to the inability of the content to be cross-examined.  However, due to the malfeasance of the prosecution team Judge Williams allowed the evidence to fashion a remedy of sorts for the the defense.  –Baltimore Sun has expanded explanation

With doubts now seeded about the actual cause of death the primary evidence against Officer Goodson appears to be collapsing.  In addition, Baltimore prosecutors had claimed the contributing element was a “rough ride” from Goodson, but they have been unable to introduce any evidence to support that claim.

Another person inside the transport van, Donte Allen, has also previously told investigators the ride was uneventful.  Allen is the same person who told investigators he heard Freddie Gray banging around trying to injure himself.

Criminal Charges Announced Against Baltimore Police Officers In Freddie Gray's Death

caesar goodson jr 1

caesar goodson jr 2

This entry was posted in Abusive Cops, BGI - Black Grievance Industry, Conspiracy ?, CRS, Cultural Marxism, Dept Of Justice, Freddy Gray Death, media bias, Police action, Political correctness/cultural marxism, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

140 Responses to Baltimore Six Update – The Case Against Caesar Goodson Begins Collapsing…

1. mimbler says:

I have no legal experience, but as a layman, it seems like a fair judge would just dismiss the case at this point. You have to prove each element of a crime, and it appears to me that they can’t even make a case on each point,
    Mike

• Sporty says:

A fair judge has Moseby arrested immediately.

• Alpha Vulgarian says:

Agreed. I’ll bet you my mortgage that she knew she would be disbarred once she lost all six cases because this is all a phony witch hunt to begin with, but she has been promised by THE POWERS THAT BE a nice, cushy, 300K job somewhere, probably having something to do with disparate impact or fairness or some other such bogeyman.

• John Galt says:

LSAT scores matter.

“Logical Reasoning questions make up approximately 1/2 of the LSAT or 2 out of the 4 scored sections. These questions are designed to evaluate your ability to understand, analyze, criticize, and complete a variety of arguments. Each logical reasoning question requires you to read and comprehend a short passage, then answer one question about it. The questions test a variety of abilities involved in reasoning logically and thinking critically.”

Mosby:

“But I got wait-listed to every law school I applied to because I didn’t do as well on my LSAT. So I needed to think outside the box. No situation or circumstance should define your destiny. Only you and God can do that. I started calling around to law schools — this is not traditional, people don’t do this — and I said, “I really want to interview with you. I think you need to know that my LSAT score is not indicative of my potential.” People said it was fruitless. I called schools every day for months.”

Maybe God was trying to send Marilyn a message about her destiny when she flunked the LSAT ?

• belle says:

Sorry to say, but yeah it’s Affirmative Action. Quotas. Soft bigotry.

• Who finally let her in?

Those logical games are HARD, but thank God they replaced the math part of the LSAT with them, though, because I am innumerate and would have totally tanked the math although I do well on verbal. So my overall score was still better.

• belle says:

Boston College

• Sentient says:

Boston College Law School.

• maiingankwe says:

Wendy,
              I am terrible at math and still use my fingers. Seriously! However, my comprehension and reading skills were unbelievably high. I even scored the top 3% state or nation wide in high school. (I’m thinking only state, long time ago) I thought I had cheated because I always read the answers first and then the paragraph above. When I told my technical college admissions counslor he laughed. If so, they would’ve conducted it differently, he said. I scored between freshman and sophomore college reading level, which was higher than my counslor or what he had seen. I must’ve had a good day, cause I’m not that bloody smart. I did tank my math and had to take the zero level classes before 101 math. Oh, and my math professor told us dummies that people who count with their fingers get more answers right. Yeah, sure, but I will take what I can get.

I never had to take the SAT tests because I was over the age of 24 when I enrolled at college. I do wonder how I would’ve done on them. I had gone to a technical college earlier and recieved an associate degree, but I learned real quick it wasn’t enough in life.

Sorry, it just brought back some memories. Oh, and I’m still terrible at math. I use my calculator all the time to figure what 30% off the sale price will come to or whatever percent. My daughter laughs at me all the time. I make her do it without the calculator though. She is smart at math like her Dad, thank goodness. I think reading a lot is what improves scores, I’m sure it is the main reason I did well. Trust me, there are times I just don’t get it. Look at my comments when I ask questions that are more obvious to others. I’m not dumb by any means, but I sure ain’t the top of the class, and I am just fine about that. I will leave it to some of you guys.
              Be well and stay smiling,
              Ma’iingankwe

• drdeb says:

maiingankwe,

I had to smile when I read your response. I am a retired marketing educator and I taught a number of what we used to call “non-traditional students” because those like yourself were not recent high school graduates. You were older than I was. What you taught me, your professor, is now evident in my life as a senior. I read a lot here and I “like” a lot of responses. However, I rarely reply. Sundance is my hero and thus I frequent this site.

In my teaching career, my fondest recollections were interactions with students such as yourself. You and those like you are what makes the USA beautiful and exceptional. You enriched my being with your life experiences. After retirement, I taught recent high school graduates. They were boring, pretentious, extremely bland and superficial. I missed teaching folks such as yourself.

Thanks for your post and God Bless You and Yours!

• maiingankwe says:

drdeb,
                  What a beautiful story; it touched my heart and gave me a smile.

I know what you are talking about, and some of my professors became good friends when my classes with them were done.

I hope you realize you taught us non-traditional students a lot as well. It goes both ways, and I’m sure you were held in high regard with them, as u held with mine.

Please keep sharing. I know there are times when I feel I might have said too much, and this was one of those times, but when I get replies like yours it reminds me what a beautiful place I do live in.
                  Be well,
                  Ma’iingankwe

• Deb says:

A huge element of math is logic. That is why “common core math” is so destructive, it has no logic, and for most people the mathematics they receive in K-12 public school is the only “logic” instruction they’ll receive. It’s why no one seems to have “common sense” anymore, they can’t think logically.

• drdeb says:

This Ph.D. (another Deb) agrees with what you wrote. As an undergraduate, symbolic logic was one of the best courses I took. The skills I learned enabled me to ace the graduate school admission tests at the State University from which I graduated.

• MouseTheLuckyDog says:

Link?

• Howie says:

El Correcto. She should be arrested and prosecuted.

• sevenwheel says:

You are right — under ordinary circumstances. These are not ordinary circumstances at all though. If the judge dismisses the case, the prosecutors can retry it because jeopardy has not attached. Hopefully that’s why the judge is continuing – so that the prosecutors have no opportunity to try the case again. At least the criminal case. I’m sure the Feds are chomping at the bit to hold civil rights trials and the family is chomping at the bit to file civil charges.

• mimbler says:

ok, thanks for that insight. I did not know you need to proceed further to avoid a double jeopardy situation. So really, it might be all to the benefit of the defendants,
        Mike

• ahhh – but the “feds” are running out of time. seems they only got 8 months left ’till the corruptos in DC are on the bottom side of the whack-a-mole bench.

• Here'ssss_Franky says:

Civil suit already wrapped up, 9/9/2015 Baltimore officials approved a $6.4 million
        deal Wednesday to settle all civil claims tied to the death of Freddie Gray.

• Sherlock says:

In my state, in a non-jury trial, jeopardy attaches when the first witness is sworn. In a jury trial, it attaches when all jurors (and any alternates) have been selected and sworn to try the case. Dismissal after that bars retrial in my jurisdiction, but of course jeopardy can be waived by mutual agreement as well. For example, if the court became ill both sides might rather not have a new judge take over mid-stream, and might mutually agree to a dismissal but also both agree that jeopardy is waived. There are some wrinkles to these rules, of course–that’s why law books are so fat. LOL

• lovely says:

This case should have #1 never been filed and #2 been dismissed at Summary Judgement.

• Jett Black says:

AFAIK, there are no summary judgments in criminal cases. Defense could move to dismiss or quash, which I think they did early on, but when the prosecution is dead-set on lying and puffing up a case where none really exists (like by having the ME perjure herself about the initial “accident” COD), it’s going to trial.

Now it’s certainly possible that once the state rests, the defense could move for a “directed verdict” for acquittal, since the state’s own evidence has failed to prove multiple required elements of all the charges. If denied, the defense just goes forward with its case, so it’s a no risk motion. I certainly hope that ‘s how it goes and P/O Goodson gets a full NG on all counts, like P/O Nero.

Also, in most jurisdictions jeopardy attaches when either a full jury is seated or when the first witness is called, even if the trial isn’t completed. Any judgment after that point precludes any further prosecution on the same charges/events as double jeopardy.

• Howie says:

This woman should be arrested.

• Sentient says:

• lineabirgit says:

i dont know what “acquital” vs “dismissal” means.

• “Sentient says:
        I’m no lawyer, but wouldn’t Goodson be better off with an acquittal from this judge than a dismissal?”

Yes. I believe this judge was the same one that acquitted the previous officer on a bench trial. Goodson is before the judge on a bench trial and if the judge finds him not guilty he is free. If a mistrial is declared the trial would likely be refiled and another judge would get it unless this judge dismissed it with prejudice.

Different states have different laws about dismissing a criminal case. Don’t know the laws in Maryland.

Criminal law. Depending on the state laws, a criminal proceeding which ends prematurely due to error, mistake, or misconduct may end as being dismissed with prejudice or without prejudice. If the case ends without prejudice, the accused in the case (the defendant) may be retried.

• So far it appears this judge has been fair. Isn’t he the same judge that found the previous defendant not guilty in a bench trial without a jury? Is this trial of Goodson before a jury or another bench trial? Apparently, Goodson also opted for a bench trial and the judge could very well acquit him at the end of the trial. If the judge declared a mistrial the prosecutor could refile the case and it is possible that another judge would then be assigned the new case. It is better if the trial continues and this judge then finds Goodson not guilty.

• jc says:

Yes,so far he has been fair even though the Balt mob is screaming for convictions “justice for Freddie”.

In his heart of hearts I think he appreciates these prosecutions are unfair and he just wants to plow thru these trials ASAP without a lot of do-overs.

A directed verdict would take balls but would be just.

I think Williams also realizes this is a persecution, political grandstanding by an obvious incompetent hack.

I’m just praying that she has held back more exculpatory ebbidence in spite of the judge’s directives and will be charged with contempt and disbarred.

2. Most state/federal prosecutors adhere to ethical guidelines or rules within their department that encourage those who bring charges to actually believe the person who they are charging committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, not as a law, but as an ethical guideline to adhere to. Obviously, there was no ethical guideline to adhere to for Mosby. Creating an unprecedented interpretation for the charge of murder to begin with, and not only ignoring what evidence did exist, but actually covering it up by not turning it over to the defense just shows how far the government is willing to go to enforce their ideology.

• Josh says:

” …shows how far the government is willing to go to enforce their ideology.”
      Yes. And this ^ refers to all levels of government and their bureaucracies.

• Paul Killinger says:

Yeah, like the “ethical guidelines” the DOJ attorneys adhered to in the DACA case in Texas?

• Ha, well.. There’s the world lawyers think they live in, and then there’s the real world. The legal profession is supposed to be self-regulated, but as you can see, the lawyers who have the power to disbar those who make ethical violations haven’t been doing their job. It reminds me of the quote from the movie The Watchmen: “Who Watches the Watchers?” As always, evil prevails when good men do nothing.

• The attorneys in the DACA case are all democrat political appointees. If Trump is elected, they are required to turn in their resignation letters and the new president can either retain them or accept their resignations. They serve at the will of the president and their actions reflect those of the administration, Obama. We’ve seen how every agency controlled by his political appointees have acted in the last 7 1/2 years.

The Maryland attorney, Moseby, is an elected democrat for the city who hires her henchmen.

3. Mike says:

The real question is whether a state prosecutor will file charges on the Baltimore DAs.

If we have a country, dem Baltimore Dems want it to be a 3rd world country

4. WeThePeople2016 says:

This does not surprise me, but it is so unfortunate and was so unnecessary. What these police officers and their families have been through. This whole thing was sloppily handled from the beginning to stir up hatred towards the police nationwide. It also “justified” the Obama DOJ into going into the police departments to “shake things up” and restructure them according to their standards e.g., Ferguson.

5. Clc says:

In Texas the law says the state’s attorney has an obligation to seek the truth. This mandate is not on the defense attorney. Or Marilyn mosby for that matter.

6. TheLastDemocrat says:

If my suspicion is right, this is a very sad deal for Goodson to have to deal with.

My suspicion is this:
    When it was apparent that Freddie Gray had died, political forces sought to find “racism” as responsible;
    Once the story was figured out just enough, it was apparent that white people were not at the nexus of the incident;
    In order to develop a story where racist whites were responsible for the death of a Black man, the net cast to bring in the responsible officers had to be cast farther out than to just cover the 2 or 3 central characters;
    This, in my suspicion, is why there ended up being 6 LEO implicated, with some Black mixed in the group as well as the white;
    This achieves the aim of building a story that white, racist cops are responsible for the death of Freddie Gray.

Per my suspicion, if this idea is accurate, the Black cops in the situation are more central to whatever events the prosecutors speculate killed Freddie Gray.

If my suspicion is correct, there will be a better case to be made against any of the Black cops involved relative to the white cops.

When I suspected this way back, in the first week post-mortem, I really wondered how awkward it would be for the racist prosecutors and politicians to drag the Black cops, including Goodson, through all of this, as well as the white cops.

We will see.

If this suspicion is accurate, it has a BIG implication: Black people had better be wary of being collateral damage as Black racists in positions of power, and their supporters, pursue a dragnet scorched-earth strategy to get hold of a suspected white racist.

7. Angry Dumbo says:

I remember reading the judge was concerned that the prosecution did not understand the meaning of the word “exculpatory.” I guess if you make a living framing enough innocent people in low profile cases, the meaning can be hard to grasp in high profile cases.

8. scott says:

The real question is: Why did the Medical Examiner change her position from accident to homicide? if this statement goes in the favor of the defense, then the prosecution has no chance at all. It is a very weak case.

• mickie says:

Why? In 1 word, corruption.

• Josh says:

And hopefully the ME will be called on the carpet and her license be put on the chopping block.

• scott says:

Yep. The subterfuge of Moseby will now bring the ME to the chair to be cross-examined. The Witness who testified twice that the puke was throwing himself against the van creates much doubt. This from a black guy. That alone will pay off in spades for the defense. And then the officers can move on with their counter-suit against Moseby.

• Janie M. says:

Scott, the sad thing is, even if all the officers are exonerated, Mosby has put targets on their backs, similar to what happened to former officer Darren Wilson. They are no longer safe in Baltimore or the surrounding areas. The looters and their compadres, will be looking to exact revenge, the facts be damned (they are incapable of any critical analysis of those facts).

• Crystal says:

From what I remember (I heard it either here or on Greta’s show as she was all over this), the ME was to declare his death an accident, but then had a little talk with the DA’s office and changed her position as a result.

• jc says:

Will this open the the ME to more questioning. Maybe jog her memory about notes she may have “forgotten” mentioned accident?

I think she will crack under pressure.

• JMC says:

The new “Brady” evidence just submitted by the prosecution which consists of a police detective’s interview with the ME in which she said the death “could be accidental”, and which she later denied and changed to “not accidental”, shows that she is capable of perjury too..

9. benzy says:

This development seems large to me. IF the defense in this case can show that the official cause of death is in question and that the Medical Examiner was originally going to list this as an “accidental death” rather than a “homicide”, that would impact not just this case against Goodson, but the case against the other remaining officers as well. Handled properly, this could lead to charges being dropped in the other remaining cases before they even reach a courtroom.

10. Mr. Haney says:

Liberals lie. It’s what they do.

11. citizen817 says:

Officers file suits against activist prosecutor.
    At this time, Officer Goodson has not filed, but he will.

12. IowaVoter says:

I Truly Believe all these charges brought forth for these 6 cops was a rush to Judgement to appease the mob in Baltimore….The whole thing is disgusting…..Mob rule is not the Rule of Law in this Land….I feel the Judge will do the Right Thing and acquit this officer of all charges….

• Jason says:

wasn’t to appease the mob, it was specifically to give them and future mobs a reason to further demand ‘space to destroy’. Tons of people were assured that the cops conspired to kill Freddie because charges were levied. And the fact they will (hopefully) all be acquitted will be evidence ‘the whole damn system is guilty as hail’

13. TheLastDemocrat says:

Again, it is win-win for the prosecutors.

If they find “racism” via a guilty verdict, the Marxists get to claim yet more support for their view that Capitalism is bad.

If no one is found guilty of anything, then the Marxists get to claim that the prevailing Cultural Hegemony is intrinsically constructed to thwart justice to favor the uper crust, and so should be overthrown – so the not-guilty verdict, or the dismissal, adds more fuel to the fire that the ENTIRE system is inherently bad (let me here give proper cred to Bronco Bama and Bernie Sanders and Karl Marx – that idea is not my original creation of intellectual property).

Furthermore, when enough people believe what Bronco and Bernie and Karl believe, THEN we will have finally have our bloody revolution, and Communism will be instilled! –Problem Solved!

We will no longer need guns, or police, or money, or ….

14. The Boss says:

Marilyn Mosby will be lucky to have a street corner she can call her own when her kangaroo court is dismissed once and for all. Then again, maybe she can find work in North Korea’s justice system.

15. Howie says:

Mosby is the crook.

16. oldguy says:

If Black people are in power long enough, you will not even get a trial. I guess these police should at least be thankful they are getting a trial at all.

17. John Galt says:

“Prosecutors rested their case Wednesday in the murder trial of Officer Caesar Goodson Jr., after calling a police expert witness who testified about so-called “rough rides” but couldn’t say whether Goodson gave such a ride to Freddie Gray.”

As a general rule of thumb, it is best practice to call witnesses that actually help prove your case.

• scott says:

Yep. There is zero evidence that the a “rough ride” was given. The testimony of the witness refutes that claim by the prosecution. He testified that the ride was simply uneventful except for the deceased banging his own head against the windows.

• John Galt says:

I think it’s improper to even allow the “rough ride expert” to testify. First, there is no threshold evidence that there was a rough ride. Second, it is not a proper subject for expert testimony. Maybe the defense can put on a “how incompetent prosecutors file bogus charges” expert witness.

• armie says:

At the end of his testimony, during the cross-exam, he was asked what a 10-15 is, he didn’t know. (It’s BPD code for “send a prisoner van”), He established some useful information for the defense, testifying that prisoners placed in seat belts don’t always stay in them, and that he had no knowledge that Freddy’d had a “rough ride”.

He also testified the only personal experience he had with a “rough ride” was a case where someone he’d arrested may have been subjected to one. Asked if he filed a report, he said no. Asked why, he said because the guy wasn’t injured.

I agree, there was no nexis between his testimony and evidence that’s been admitted, he should never have gotten on the stand.

• Jason Ross says:

The defense should haul him up there, ask him the same exact questions, and then rest.

• Josh says:

When the witnesses realize that no one is going to have their back they’ll be more likely to tell the truth.

18. winky says:

The whole thing was corrupt and predictable…..great way to steal 6 million from the city before O left office….I did not know this but a civil case was not even filed…the family sent a demand letter and city decided to settle….pure theft plain and simple

• winky says:

Forgot to mention that even if it did go to a trail ….I believe the state has a cap on jury awards so the family could never have gotten this kind of an award from a jury….corruption ….would love to know how much the family actually did get.

19. Jeffrey says:

How could a medical examiner “intend” to show the cause of death before the examination? Therefore the examination must have concluded it was accidental and after that the pressure was applied.

20. remster says:

The investigative detective interviewed the ME who informed him that she changed the cause of death from “accident” to “homicide”. That is a very big change. I wonder why the detective wasn’t asked to change his report? Or maybe he was, but wouldn’t do it. These cops should never have been charged and for Moseby to take the actions she did are criminal.

• Crystal says:

The ME was fairly new, from what I recall, and after she determined cause of death to be accidental, someone from the DA’s office convinced her to change it to homicide.

I don’t know if that was presented here or I heard it on Greta’s show.

21. jackphatz says:

Was this Porter’s ‘forced’ testimony?

Freddie Gray case: Officer Porter testifies in trial of Officer Goodson

22. Howie says:

Jail for Mosby.

23. True Colors says:

The new evidence today directly contradicts recent testimony from the lead medical examiner, Carol Allan.

Here is what she said a few days ago:

“I had an open mind on the day of the autopsy,” she said. After reading medical records and going over a timeline of events, “I said, ‘This is not an accident,’ to myself.”

“The word ‘accident’ never crossed my lips to anyone, other than to say, ‘This is not an accident,'” Allan said later, under repeated questioning from the defense.

Fast forward to the courtroom today…

Today, as a result of those instructions, the prosecution turned over a statement from an investigative detective showing the medical examiner was initially intent on determining the cause of death to be “an accident“. The ME changed her position and later ruled Gray’s death a homicide.

24. Centinel2012 says:

Reblogged this on Centinel2012 and commented:

When the citizens realize the law is what the government makes it up to be and the cases have no merit then there is no rule of law and that the prosecutors are fabricating evidences and cases for political purposes then the society where this happens is finished and must be replaced.

25. sahm2016 says:

I wonder what Obama’s Justice Department will do if none of the Baltimore 6 are convicted. This case has been a witch hunt from day one, and I can’t imagine the Obama admin just letting it go.

• Crystal says:

An issue will be made of it, probably thru Lynch, who is proving to be another hack.

• Jason says:

Declare they’ve determined the entire PD is a racist organization and slap them with a consent decree.

Might not even need to go that far, I know Baltimore’s Mayor was a founding part of Obama’s 21st Century Federalization of the local PD and had already announced they would be implementing any of the DOJ’s ‘recommendations’, but can’t imagine they’d pass up the opportunity to once again conclude that every officer in Baltimore is a racist, despite the fact that the majority are minorities including leadership.

• SSI01 says:

Calling the BPD a racist organization, despite its demographic makeup, would be an inadvertent major step in the right direction because it would show how easily and carelessly this accusation can be tossed around, and always by the liberal elite and media. It is possible to not be white, and still be a racist and a bigot. I’m not saying that is the case with the BPD, however, the prosecutor’s office is another matter, and since their motives and actions in this current situation are plainly meant to placate a mob that was definitely racist-motivated, one has to wonder if they aren’t also, since they caved so readily to the racists’ demands for a phony prosecution rather than pleading the case for, or sternly warning that same mob of the necessity for, a devotion to the rule of law.

26. tz says:

This is yet another “The System is Broken!” – on both sides.
    Even in Ferguson where they practiced traffic ticket taxation (strangely not in the rich, gated communities that could fight tickets). Malicious prosecutions at all levels. This is merely another example of a corrupt system. The only unique feature is this time the police were the victims. It doesn’t just suddenly get corrupt when there is a public event where the optics are bad. Baltimore has been that way for years.
    Note Obama – Whistleblowers were prosecuted, cronies high crimes are ignored (Hillary). Snowden realized he had to go into exile to blow the whistle – and here is where I can fault Trump. I think Snowden would agree to return here and face his crimes if the NSA and the rest of the structure that BROKE THE LAW in worse ways betraying the trust of everyone – the citizens, the government, foreign allies, … Orlando and San Bernadino, maybe Brussels and Paris. – When dozens of NSA/FISA/FBI/CIA criminals have been tried and convicted and are serving the deserved sentence under a Rule of Law, then and only then can we have faith in the system. Hillary is only the most recent symptom of the disease.
    Trump does not have to repeal even one law. He merely has to enforce the rule of law. The EPA poisoned an entire river and the Navajo nation – someone should be executed. The Flint Water system. The BLM burning cattle to death (v.s. the Hammonds – the BLM are terrorists). We would see agonized screams for repealing regulations, smaller government and local control in short order.
    The constitution represents the rule of law, not of men. People are reluctant to pass or enforce laws they might themselves run afoul of. But that is the root of the cronyism.

27. VegasGuy says:

So far, the prosecution has presented no credible evidence that Goodson gave a “rough ride”. That, coupled with Allen’s statement that “the ride was smooth” & Gray was “bashing around” from the final stop to the destination, eliminates the “deprave heart” element of the charges. It also circumstantially demonstrates that Gray was not in any severe distress prior to departing the 5th & final stop, hence there was no necessary or required reason to summon medical aid at any of the stops.

Testimony to date also lends credence that the injury occurred between the 5th stop and the final destination, and could not have occurred prior. Couple that to the potentially perjured testimony of the M.E. regarding using statements provided & selected by Mosby, to use as a determination of Homicide verses Accidential, & you can easily see the Prosecution’s case is growing weaker with each of their witnesses that take the stand…

They have not been able to prove any of the charges so far in their presentation. They are again down to the seat belt issue as their only fall back…..

• John Galt says:

“Testimony to date also lends credence that the injury occurred between the 5th stop and the final destination, and could not have occurred prior.”

That’s a big problem for the “failed to promptly seek medical attention” theory.

• armie says:

The defense has really done its homework. Yesterday, during cross of a jail official, they elicited testimony that during one of his prior arrests, Freddie had claimed to be suffering from a drug overdose, and they’d refused to book him and instead sent him to the hospital.

28. VegasGuy says:

The State has rested its’ case & the defense has filed a motion for acquittal……

{SNIP}… The state concluded its presentation after calling 21 witnesses over five days. The defense then filed a motion for acquittal, arguing that there is not enough evidence for the case to go forward.

• Concerned says:

Smart move. I hope it works. I’m sure Williams would rather be done with this farce and move on to some REAL cases.

29. geoffb5 says:

As with Zimmerman, and all the other cases we have seen, it is the process that is ultimately the punishment and the aim is not these officers (though if one or more is convicted that would be gravy for the Left), the true target is all the others out there who witness these events and will change their own behavior so they will not be one of the sacrifices fed to the maw of the mob.

Even what we see in these various legal proceedings is just a piece of this ongoing scheme. In places less publicized the same pressures are applied. The military, businesses, unions, organizations large and small, all feel the terror of PC unchained.

The Left is now in a hurry. That brass ring is in view, just one last big push. 7 months remain to cement power in place, transformation must be complete by then. Trump must be destroyed of course. But if that can’t be done then he must inherit a system so broken that fubar will be the norm.

30. skeptiktank says:

I’m so dumb, I didn’t even think it was the ME’s job to determine whether it was a homicide or not. I thought they just said stuff like “He died from a broken neck” then let the police, and the DA determine whether it was a homicide or not. He could just as easily said it was a homicide due to being given a “Rough Ride”.

31. NJF says:

Can’t wait to see this angry woman go down…….hard.

• Concerned says:

This will hopefully be her third failure in this Freddie Gray debacle. And I’m happy that her husband did very poorly in the Mayor primary. They’re trying so hard to be a power couple. (Insert sound of balloon releasing air.)

32. deqwik2 says:

If I’m not mistaken, Freddie had surgery after he went to the hospital, (not the rumor of surgery before the arrest). They performed surgery to try to save his life. If this is true, then the body would not look exactly like it did when police took him to the hospital as far as an autopsy is concerned.

33. Hi All, Apologies for this being a bit off topic, although it is at least related to a murder and court case. The reappearance of Oscar Pistorius in court has been all over the media here in Oz today. As I only caught snippets of the case and trial at the time, I am hoping somebody here is informed enough to help with something that has puzzled me. Was it ever raised by the prosecution at the trial if Pistorius had checked whether or not his partner Riva (not sure of spelling) was asleep in their bed when he first thought he heard an intruder? The response would have to have been in the negative. If he was asked this and said they had argued so she had chosen to sleep elsewhere, was he asked why he wasn’t concerned enough for her safety to first check on her and tell her to hide and/or call the authorities before he went down to confront a supposed intruder? Thanks in advance.

34. Stephen Richter says:

Baltimore Sun has a very good article on Wednesday’s testimony.

Reading the article it is apparent that Gray was injured at the end of the ride. If the prosecution was truly looking for the truth they would focus on where everyone was, who had access to Gray. ( was Goodson driving alone, for example. )

From the article:

The medic who responded to the Western District police station to treat Gray after the van arrived also took the stand Wednesday. The medic, 17-year veteran Angelique Herbert, testified that it was immediately apparent that Gray was not breathing.

“What the f— did you guys do?” Herbert testified she said to the officers.

Among the officers with Gray at that point were Goodson, William Porter and Zach Novak. Novak, who was given immunity from prosecution by the state’s attorney’s office, was holding Gray and told Herbert that the prisoner might have hit his head against the van walls. Porter and Goodson shrugged, she said.

After a brief discussion with the officers, Herbert said she began treating Gray for a possible drug overdose. He had a small amount of blood and froth under his nose. She also said he had become incontinent.

Herbert testified that Goodson helped her load Gray onto a stretcher and into the ambulance.

The defense is pointing to Herbert’s observation as an indication that Gray was injured shortly before the van arrived at the Western District.

No officer who interacted with Gray before that has testified about or given a statement that included such observations. Defense medical experts have testified that the impact of Gray’s injury would have been sudden and apparent shortly after it occurred.

• springstreet says:

Has any evidence been presented that Freddie Gray was critically injured in the police van … severe abrasions, contusions, broken bones … anything? Previous CTH posts established that Freddie successfully escaped the initial police pursuit, jumped over a wall and then entered a building … unseen. And then, he left the safety of this building and ran back TO the police … where he put on his public show of anti-police resistance and ensuing death. What probably happened was that the drugged up Freddie went over the 3 foot wall, he didn’t realize that on the other side was a 10 foot drop … and he severely compressed his own neck/spine. Then he (unexpectedly) killed himself when he slammed his previously injured head against the police van divider wall. Case closed.

• Concerned says:

Herbert’s alleged statement to Goodson, Porter, and Novak is odd. She started treating Gray for a drug overdose, not a physical injury …. so why would she say “What the f— did you guys do?” as if the officers had physically injured Gray?

35. SSI01 says:

The prosecution’s case is sounding more and more like a half-baked effort by the “justice” minister of a two-bit, tin horn, Central American banana republic – or maybe something ginned up by Lavrenti Beria or Felix Dzerzhinsky. The original effort by Mosby was meant to placate the ire of the Baltimore mobs that were apparently beyond the power of the Baltimore police department to control. By the time this circus, this parade of incompetence, malfeasance, and judicial malice on her part, comes to an end, another long and hot summer will be upon us. BLM, the NBPP, and other racist and anarchist elements will have become extremely dissatisfied with her efforts and will again take to the streets – to be joined by mobs in Philadelphia and Cleveland, and other cities, and who knows what that will lead Obama to do?

36. Bart Manson ✓ᴺᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰᵃˡᶦˢᵗ says:

Marilyn Mosby is affirmative action in action.

37. jakeandcrew says:

The State has rested its case. Defense attorneys filed a motion to acquit Officer Goodson of all charges, and the motion was denied. So, the defense’s case moves forward.

(Normally, I’d post the Baltimore Sun article, but I’ve hit their free-reading limit for the month.) :/

• Concerned says:

I don’t get “close call” either. But if it is a close call then isn’t it Goodson’s right to be given the benefit of the doubt?

38. VegasGuy says:

“Judge Williams said the murder charge was “a close call”. I don’t understand that at all.”

I believe Williams was referencing the testimony of Neill Franklin…..

{SNIP},,, During the hearing, the judge asked prosecutors what evidence to they have of a “rough ride” that prosecutors believe caused Gray’s injuries.
    Prosecutor Michael Schatzow points to the video shown in court, which shows Goodson’s van not stopping at the intersection of North Freemont and Mosher Street, and making a wide turn, before stopping after the intersection.
    Schatzow said that “rough ride” is not the basis for any indictment, but does show where Gray’s injuries occurred.
    Judge Williams pointed out the “rough ride” video shown in court did not meet the definition provided by prosecution witness Neill Franklin.
    Franklin said a rough ride is defined by a sudden stop, followed by a wide turn, followed by a sudden deceleration.

So maybe the Judge is not convinced of the evidence presented & but will allow the Defense portion to continue. Perhaps he is taking the less risky position of allowing all the evidence to proceed & thenpotentially rule for acquittal verses dismissing at this point.

That would preclude the State from filing for an appeal of a dismissal & a re-trying of the case. IMO, an acquittal is the direction he is leaning towards to put an end to this farce of unsubstantiated charges….

But, we shall see as this proceeds.

39. Concerned says:

It’s nice to see that the defense has some good witnesses.

A defense witness in the Freddie Gray murder trial shocked the court Thursday as she laid bare a rift between prosecutors and police during the investigation of Gray’s death.
    Dawnyell Taylor had been the lead detective after Gray died on April 19, 2015, of a spinal cord injury sustained during his arrest the week before.
    She took the stand Thursday for Caesar Goodson, the Baltimore police officer who is accused of causing Gray’s injury while driving the 25-year-old to the police station.
    During her testimony, Taylor called into question the integrity of Deputy State’s Attorney Janice Bledsoe, accusing the prosecutor of “throwing a tantrum” during the investigation and refusing to work with her.
    […]
    Chief Deputy State’s Attorney Michael Schatzow accused Taylor of attempting to sabotage the investigation. He asked the detective if she was aware that he had requested she be moved from her position on the case.
    Taylor responded that Schatzow did not have the authority to have her removed, and that — although she was not responsible for communicating with the State’s Attorney’s Office — she still held all of the case files and continued in her duties.
    Taylor also recalled two separate occasions in which Assistant Medical Examiner Carol Allen allegedly suggested that Gray’s fatal spinal cord injury was a “freakish accident,” and that “no human hand has done this.”

• jakeandcrew says:

I would love to have been in the courtroom for that.

• VegasGuy says:

The problem with the M.E. determination of Homicide is that she would have needed supporting evidence of specific actions of the defendant & the van itself which pinpoint a logical & sequential timeframe when the injury must have occurred.

So, from a M.E. standpoint, observing & analyzing the injury sustained, in order to determine “manner” of death, some evidence must have been provided from investigative sources that the injury was intentionally done by actions of the defendant.

She herself states that her determination was not made until after she was provided statements & evidence that were selected by & provided to her by Mosby‘s office. This woulld ve the same “evidence” that was presented in their case. It is weak at best, and even laughable to some extent.

The basis of the charges by the State, the so called “rough ride”, is claimed to have been intentionally done to cause discomfort or harm to an occupant of the van. Yet, they have shown no clear cut evidence to bolster their claim, or even to imply such claim.

The State has not been able to demonstrate any such action beyond a stop that was “rolled” through, and a wide turn with no abrupt action of, or change in velocity, of the van has observed.

The Judge has even commented that what was observed on various videos did not fit the premise that their “expert” witness, Neill Franklin put forth as defining what a “rough ride“ constitutes. It appears the Judge has not bought into that theory as their “evidence” certainly does not support it in the least.

If this M.E. only had the evidence available that has been presented so far in the case, there is no clearly demonstrated “cause & effect” established for a determination of Homicide verses Accidental.

Referencing back to the M.E. testimony…..

{SNIP}…. The assistant medical examiner who ruled Freddie Gray’s death a homicide says there was no political pressure from the State’s Attorney’s Office, but admits she could not have made that key finding without witness statements Marilyn Mosby’s office selected and sent to her.

So, her determination was made on “selective” witness statements that were provided to her. Such statements only included those that were beneficial to the State’s case. She did not personally & independently analyze all the information available to come to an independent conclusion. based on fact.

The reasoning of the M.E. that the blunt force of Gray‘s body, specifically his head, hitting some interior portion of the van during the ride most certainly exists. That is apparent. What is not apparent is what caused the impact.

But there is no evidence that the defendant instituted any such action that would have caused any sudden change in motion or velocity, the effect of which would have to have resulted in such injury. The M.E. then came precariously close to perjury with her statements on the on the stand….

40. jakeandcrew says:

The CourthouseNews article said Franklin, the “rough ride” expert, crumbled under cross-examination and admitted he didn’t see any evidence that Goodson had driven erratically. Between that and the M.E.’s change of mind after “selective” witness statements were given to her…

Good grief. What a waste of time and money.

41. LULU says:

Today in court, hour by hour. Very interesting, including Judge Williams’s comment, denying the motion to dismiss, that the count of second degree murder, depraved heart, was a “close call”. Two LE witnesses refute ME Allan’s testimony, citing her earlier statements that Gray’s death was due to a “freakish” accident.

Donta Allen Testifies, Claims Forgetfulness In Sixth Day Of Goodson Trial

42. Ncrdbl1 says:

The ONLY thing which keeps the judge from tossing out all the charges against all of the defendants right now. Is that he knows that the Obama DOJ will pick up the case and railroad these officers in federal court.

When all is said and done the ONLY one who will see prison time will be the DA.

43. jakeandcrew says:

Excellent article about all the recent events in the trial –

My favorite part is a tweet from the courtroom when the rough ride “expert’s” testimony is pretty much decimated by the defense’s cross-examination –

“A bunch of the attorneys for the other officers were in the courtroom watching this all go down. They looked…pleased.”

44. LULU says:

Interesting testimony from a defense expert witness, former Washington DC ME. Injury happened between 4th stop and last stop, not before 4th stop as prosecution contended.

Defense expert in police trial: Prisoner’s death an accident

FTA:

The defense also called a neurosurgeon, Dr. Joel Winer, who testified that Gray’s injuries were so severe and occurred so suddenly that he would have been immediately paralyzed, losing bowel and bladder function and his ability to breathe.

Prosecutors have argued that Gray would have still had limited physical function after sustaining his neck injury, such as breathing and supporting his head. Weiner vehemently disagreed.

“It would be impossible for Mr. Gray to have these capabilities having suffered the injury,” he said. “He wouldn’t be able to maintain a seated position, he’d be floppy, like a dish rag or a jellyfish.”
    When asked how long someone with such an injury would be able to breathe after being hurt, he replied “seconds.”

45. VegasGuy says:

Just some follow up on the closing arguments in the Goodson Trial….IMO, it is looking towards an acquittal yet again. Judge Williams was quite on point with many of the issues he raised regarding the Prosecution presentation. IMO, he has not fully bought into their theory, nor does he appear to be convinced that they have presented compelling evidence to support the charges…But, this is Baltimore so we will see on Thursday when he announces the verdict.

Interesting exchanges during closing arguments:

{SNIP}…Gray’s death was “a completely unnecessary homicide of a young man who was killed by the inaction of Caesar Goodson,” he declared.
    The judge asked Schatzow to explain the state’s rough ride theory.
    “Are you aware there has to be intent?” Williams asked. “The state brought it into the world. You’re the one who said it. What did you show” to prove it?
    Schatzow repeated that the lack of a seatbelt proves Goodson “intended for there to be consequences.”

{SNIP}… Even Schatzow pulled back on alleging that Goodson intended to kill Gray. He accused Goodson of making one of the stops out of concern that he’d gone too far in inflicting injuries. “The fact that he stopped shows there was a consequence greater than he anticipated and he had to figure out what to do,” the prosecutor said.
    The judge countered that the stop could be seen as concern for Gray’s well-being.

Sure sounds like Williams wasn’t buying the Prosecutions theory of Homicide….

An analysis of the Goodson trial by Attorney Sheryl Wood

See 0:30 mark… Referring to Judge Williams….

Paraphrased…..He (Williams) was more focused on criminal negligence rather than gross negligence which is a higher standard of proof, so he (Williams) may have dismissed that aspect already and might not see evidence of criminal negligence in their case.

Continuing on…

“He (Williams) kept asking them (the Prosecution) if not seat belting some one in is Criminal negligence, is not calling for medical attention, criminal negligence….?”

Williams appears to be taking them to task regarding the charges they brought forward verses the actual evidence they presented…There appears to be a disconnect there.

See 1:55 mark…..

{SNIP}…Question: “is there enough for a guilty verdict..”
    Her response…”I don’t think there is ….”

The State did not provide any evidence that the injury occurred prior to arriving at the final destination. Defense expert witnesses have show considerable reasonable doubt that Gray was injured to any extent ant any of the stops, except the final destination. Hence the actions of all the officers involved, regarding that issue, becomes moot.

The State provided zero evidence that a “rough ride” occurred. Their own expert witness, Franklin, upon cross examination, had to finally agree with the Defense.

The ME came very close to committing perjury. Her assessment of Homicide is in dire question at this point. More, importantly, the State provided zero evidence as to where & how the injury occurred beyond a SWAG by the ME.

With sufficient reasonable doubt that any injury occurred prior to any of the stops along the route, the Officers involved had no reasonable obligation to provide medical assistance since none was required. Judge Williams has also questioned whether Goodson’s actions amounted to gross negligence, criminal negligence, or the actions of a PO reasonably executing their duty.

The seat belt issue has become a mute point of contention. The vans normally do not come with belts simply because a majority of LE departments never request them. In Baltimore, they needed to be special ordered & installed for just that reason. Testimony shows that very few suspects in transit are ever actually belted. And, more interestingly, testimony showed that, even if belted, it is a simple task for such a detainee to release themselves from the constraint, even when cuffed behind their backs. So a seat belt reasonably might not have diminished the prospect of Gray’s injury at all.

The elements of depraved heart murder & manslaughter were not presented to the exclusion of any reasonable doubt. The remaining issues of mis-conduct & negligence have also been eliminated if the premise of the injury occurring between stops 2 & 4 has been debunked, and the actually occurred after the 5th & final stop.

Taken in totality, there is no rationale remaining but to acquit. The charges simply have not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Without proof of a “rough ride” any criminal negligence has zero basis to conclude otherwise.

An acquittal in this case also eliminates the exact charges against the remaining Officers for the same reasons. Mosby will loose all 6 cases due to the ineptness of her & her office to correctly support charges with actual direct & convincing evidence, none of which was presented in this farce of a case.

Of course I could be mis-reading these “clues” Williams has put forth, but they are fairly compelling for an acquittal, IMO.