Florida First-Grade Teacher Under Investigation for “Lesson in Racism”…

An unnamed Florida elementary school teacher is suspended and ‘under investigation’ for conducting an experiment/lesson in segregation using their classroom.  As typically the case when media begin reporting on the issue, the school claims no knowledge or approval of anything…. always after the fact, and always after media catches on.

florida schoolMINNEOLA, Fla.A Lake County mom is outraged over what one teacher tried explaining to her students during what she called a “lesson in racism.”

Lychelle Bland wants her daughter to learn black history, but not by being discriminated against.  “It’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard that a teacher did to teach a child something,” Bland said.

The principal of Minneola Elementary Charter School said that Tuesday after Martin Luther King Jr. Day, a first-grade teacher conducted an unapproved classroom experiment without notifying the school or parents. Kids, ages 7 and 8, were separated by eye color, then discriminated against for several hours.

Eight-year-old Aniyah Rodriguez was in the class. She said students with blue eyes got hugs, candy and toys; students with brown eyes like her got nothing.

“She only wanted the white people that had blue eyes to get hugs. And she said she didn’t want any of our cooties,” Rodriguez said. “Everybody in the class was crying.”

The teacher did send a letter home to parents explaining the lesson the next day, but the school’s principal said that letter also wasn’t approved.

While the teacher declined to talk with WESH 2 News, in the letter, she described it as a “tough lesson” meant to highlight the importance of equality, letting kids “feel what it was like to have been people back about 50 years ago.”

Bland wishes her daughter could have opted out.  (read more with video)

This entry was posted in Big Stupid Government, Common Core, Education, Racism, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

210 Responses to Florida First-Grade Teacher Under Investigation for “Lesson in Racism”…

1. Bill says:

This is political correctness eating its own tail.

• Doodahdaze says:

Sounds like something in a Nork Re-education camp. What has happened to our schools?

• Bull Durham says:

They aren’t “our” schools. They belong to government. They are contracted to teacher unions and professional “educators”. What made you think they were “ours”?

The government isn’t ours. Nothing related to the government is ours.

Jefferson warned us that governments were good for five years, then expect Tyranny.
        The Federal tyranny is 250 years old. It is the oldest government on earth. We are a fairly young nation, but a very old government.

It needs fumigation. The human content of the government has been totally corrupted.

That is what Make America Great Again is all about.

We have to reform the processes that have replaced the Constitutional mechanisms we think are still there.

Get rid of Federal employee unions.
        Get rid of any Lobbying.
        Term limits. One term and out.
        No pensions for elected.
        No closed door activities. Everything streaming live or cable.

• hebejg says:

THAT ain’t no Bull, Bull !!

• gpen says:

No insurance coverage. Pay like the rest of us.

• WSB says:

Another blogger and I just exchanged a disturbing story about the Smithsonian Magazine. They have been under Marxist Malcolm X style leadership since Obama has been in office. I cancelled a subscription after having to read about idols such as the Ferguson Hands Up Don’t Shoot crowd and Malcolm.

Anyone else see this?

DC needs to be exterminated.

• WSB says:

You are so correct about one term limit. Two terms still guarantees re-election money and influence. Government Service should be nothing more than jury duty. And no one should be able to Contribute ANYTIHNG or even spend their own money. Should be all about having a strong message and character/record.

• I also have concerns about life-time appointments to positions in government. Supreme Court and Federal Court judges for example. Please don’t make a reply comment and tell me all about our Founding Fathers ideas as to why these positions need to be by appointment and for life. I have heard them in my history and government classes. I understood them before but am now beginning to doubt their wisdom.

• hebejg says:

if a white teacher had done that she would be sent into orbit from all the gunpowder that this BS would have ignited.
      i wonder if dear teacher pointed out the fact that 50yrs. ago blacks had respect for one another and other people in her “lesson”.
      wonder if she even KNOWS that the marches in birmingham, selma, etc. even HAD white folk in it from the front to the back.

• barbrepko says:

Actually this was a replication of a research study done by a white teacher in the 1960’s, but the Perpetually Offended Society idiots are too stupid to know that. And now the liberal administrators will punish this wise teacher and apologize to “outraged” clueless parents.

• hebejg says:

exactly right. i saw that piece on 60 Minutes decades ago.
          it still fits a narrative these daze, depends on the perspective.

• This is not “wise” teaching. Educators in Holocaust studies concluded years ago that some of the classroom experiments designed to “teach kids what it was like” during the Holocaust and

• swissik says:

Wise teacher? More like a rabble rouser with a huge chip on her shoulder. I don’t care if this was done during the sixties. Obviously times have changed in 50 years. This teacher wanted to demonstrate “white privilege” to the kids. In case you haven’t noticed this is the latest trend in stirring up the masses and creating incidents. Only blue eyed children get hugs? Why, white privilege of course. A friend of my daughter’s would have been in a real dilemma, she is about 60% black and 40% Italian AND she has very blue eyes, but fairly dark skin and African hair.

• All five of my white children, with German-Irish-English Great-grand-parents, have brown eyes. White skin brown eyes. The above poster has a friend with a daughter who has brown skin and blue eyes. The whole situation is ridiculous and probably confusing to first graders. And of course no one in charge at the school knew anything about the “lesson”. Everyone involved ( except parents and children) belong to the “liar, liar pants on fire” school of thought.

• Marvin Harrison says:

I think the point was to show that it was stupid to discriminate based on a physical characteristic that has nothing to do with the person. It would have had even more impact if there were people of color with blue eyes being privileged and white kids with brown eyes being discriminated against. .

• The point I was trying to make with my poorly expressed comment was the age of the students ( first graders ) was not appropriate for the “lesson”. This lesson would have been much better for middle school students or older kids with parental approval. I believe 7-8 year olds are only confused. From the article I understand that most of the kids ended up crying. The article said some were discriminated against all day and some got hugs and candy. Also, a lesson plan that ends with most of the class crying and the parents calling the school deserves more of an explanation from school officials than “It wasn’t an approved lesson”.

• Jenny R. says:

I think there is a time and a way to teach this sort of thing — but this age school kid, and that level of discrimination is uncalled for. Little kids like that won’t get anything from it other than tears, and resorting to name calling is unconscionable.
          I have done a “discrimination” experiment in a college and high school age classroom — that had more to do with how easy it was for an authority figure (me) to split people up into groups (different colored name tags, purposely split up classroom pals, no racial, gender, etc, groupings and that was done on purpose too) and assign totally ludicrous discriminations (which all 3 groups: favored, disfavored, and neutral) went along with — and we brought up “evil prevails when good men do nothing” plus civil responsibility to challenge or not participate in things we know are wrong.
          But those were older kids and no name calling (or grades assigned that day), and the lesson was stopped 20 minutes in, followed by discussion (which that age should be able to do and handle).
          Sounds like the teacher thought they were going to do something “cool” (and thus get a pat on the head from admin for being “cool”) and didn’t do the required consideration before engaging in it — especially that small children are not a group to be doing this with.

• lovely says:

Old well known exercise pioneered by Jane Elliot. The children of the original exercise are now adults and said it was a transforming experience. Many teachers did it, many studies were done, the favored children always did better on tests than the unfavored ones.

Shen Yun

• FriendlyKoala says:

The idea that favored children do better is called “stereotype threat”.
            It seems to be a myth. Many studies have tried to replicate the effect and failed.

• lovely says:

Sorry I should have been clearer with my words. The children who were favored did better on tests taken immediately after they were favored. Having self esteem and being self assured are certainly at odds with each other.

• HarleyQuinn says:

First, Just because an experiment was done in the past doesn’t give it legtimacy. A lot of psychological experiments that harmed participants were done in the past. Would we want to repeat the experiments of Alfred Kinsey , John B. Watson, Lauretta Bender, Wendall Johnson and Mary Tudor, and so on?

Second, psychological experiments are inappropriate in the classroom. If the teacher was repeating a psychological experiment on children without parental consent, it is an ethical violation.

Third, yes, the parents were clueless- by design. The teacher did not inform them of her object lesson .

• TheFenian says:

Our universities have been so bad for so long that we now have total and complete morons teaching the next generation. Victimhood must end now.

Trump has often said at his rallies, when a paid activist begins screaming “That’s what WE should have been doing the last 7-8 years”. And he’s correct.

We are not allowed to be silent anymore. Unless we scream & yell & protest like the depraved and sick left, abominations like this will continue.

• auscitizenmom says:

Many Blacks are denying that there were any white marchers now. They also deny that they had help back during the underground railroad.

• Linden says:

Why don’t thesenturds read aboUt geeat men like Booker T. Washington & Frederick Douglass, and others? Very fine men who set a great example for anyone, black or white. Those corrupt, stupid teachers would call them “Uncle Toms”, I am sure.

• Daniel says:

That’s rather what I was thinking. “Participation trophies, No dodgeball, etc… can’t have children ‘feeling bad’ and of course no bullying.” But… if it’s for “a good cause” then it’s okay to do so by any and all means necessary.

2. mightyconservative says:

OT….if anyone is a commenter at Twitchy,,,,the whole Fifth Avenue comment of Trump’s lacks full context. Maybe jump over there and share it….educate the uneducated, they can further their education over here 😀

• Martin says:

Twitchy is such a stupid site.

• Doodahdaze says:

Well, tell em Hillary got 4 people shot for real in Benghazi and they still support her. Trump was only playing with words.

• sundance says:

READ RULES FOR COMMENTS. It is no ok to post off topic comments just by shouting my comment is “off topic”…. it is actually intensely RUDE !!

• mightyconservative says:

I’m sorry…I didn’t realize that, Sundance, I’m so used to seeing at other sites, I haven’t noticed that I’ve never seen it here. I’m still fairly new to this site.

• Guy Stumpman says:

I debookmarked twitchy months ago when it became apparent that they were going to jump on the bandwagon of the anti-Trump movement. Michelle malkin has never liked Trump, so don’t expect any objective reporting about him from there. I’m surprised she didn’t have a hit piece to contribute to the national review on that against trump issue.

• KBR says:

When Donald Trump actually goes out onto 5th Avenue and shoots someone, THEN it will be a story.
      And then DT, like any other US citizen would be INNOCENT until proven guilty.

As to whether his fans would still vote for him, depends: why did he shoot, who did he shoot?

Donald Trump has not suggested that someone should shoot anybody, but several people have made such suggestions about him.

So, if you bother with Twitchy, tell them you talked with a Trump fan that said they would decide should that actually happen. Which it won’t.

Tell twitchy to stop twitching.

3. BobW462 says:

Teacher gets a C- for creativity from me, along with an expulsion recommendation for her lack of common sense and good judgment.

• barbrepko says:

Really? She was replicating a research study of the 1960’s to teach about racism and bullying! I had to read that study in psych classes 20 years ago. Too bad liberals and race baiters are ignorant as well as thin-skinned.

• BobW462 says:

So, what you may have read in psych class 20 years ago is somehow relevant in a modern 1st grade classroom? How’s that, Barb?

• clash108 says:

Actually I saw a documentary film that used children around the same age many years ago using the same exact methods and I was in high school. Maybe that’s where this teacher got the idea that this was “ok”. I’m not condoning her using it, but it has been done before on very young children.

• TheFenian says:

Just because something was done in the past doesn’t make it valid for 7 year olds.

A lot of frontal lobotomies were done in the past also, and blood-letting for fevers. Doesn’t mean that that makes them valid practices now.

• KBR says:

A classroom is not the place to use children as Guineapigs in a psycho-social experiment.
        The teacher should be fired.

This kind of insanity is not new. My daughter’s 3rd grade teacher told the whole class that they were all bad, really bad. And that their mothers might not think they were bad, but they were, and their mothers didn’t really know anything about it, but she did. She said she knew more than mothers because she was a teacher.

At the meeting with the principal, that teacher, my attorney, and several members of the school board the next day, she said she was “trying to teach the children about making judgements about whom they should trust, that it was a psychological experiment.”

Brainwashing little children has been a fact in public schools for quite a while: this happened in 1986…

• What happened after the meeting with your attorney?

• KBR says:

The teacher was reprimanded, given some leave time without pay, my child was removed from that classroom and placed in a class under another teacher. I spoke at length with teacher # 2, to assure that she was not in tune with the first teacher, and let her know that I was keenly interested in every lesson. (Would be watching.)

No further problems at school regarding my child. The principal was extraordinarily friendly to us thereafter, at school events, perhaps because we came with counsel, and that fact had school board members at the meeting by the very next day with theirs.
            I suppose she saw us as powerful?

I did have quite a time getting the child to understand that the teacher was wrong, that she was NOT bad, and that her mommy was the authority figure over and above the teacher. Instilling a sense of low self-esteem was the result of the “experiment.”
            She grew up and excelled has several masters degrees knows several languages, has three kids.

The teacher in question was a black teacher, so I believe authorities were fearful that NAACP might get involved if more strenuous measures were taken against her.

• mikayla825 says:

Gosh that brings back school year memories of my dad The Gunny and one of my male teachers. I’d tell the story but its so wrong, funny as heck, but very wrong. 😀

• I’m glad to hear the situation turned out well for your daughter. It sounds like you had to do a lot of work at home to correct the damage the teacher did in school. It is really too bad you had to take legal counsel with you to straighten out a parent-teacher problem. We had similar situations with our children when they were in school. Constant watching what they were being taught, what kind of field trips they were being taken on (without our permission usually), what kind of guest speakers they had in class. Things had changed so much since we were in school. I didn’t think things could get much worse until my grand-children started school. If my daughters and daughters-in-law didn’t teach my grand-children how to read and do some math at home I really think they would be unable to read or write or do any math at all. I honestly don’t know what they do in school all day anymore. And my grand-children go to what are considered to be some of the best schools in the state.

• Really. What part of “…replicating a research study of the 1960’s…” doesn’t deserve a C for creativity? The teacher is a moron, and needs to be fired. Unsuspecting children shouldn’t be unwitting and unwilling guinea pigs for her pointless and unethical “experiment” done without parental knowledge or consent.

4. lmg says:

I’ve heard of this kind of experiment being done before, but with all white kids. In a mixed classroom, today, it’s just begging for trouble. And besides, every non-white minority gets advantages over whites now. White kids don’t need to be told what it’s like to be discriminated against. They’re living it.

• I’ve heard of it before too. That’s why I couldn’t understand why Mom was so upset.

‘”It’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard that a teacher did to teach a child something,” Bland said.””

I’m pretty sure if you look around you can find something crazier. I guess I don’t understand the hoopla over this. Don’t we have bigger probems with public schools? lmg, I’m with you. No more lessons for white on what discrimination feels like. People jump backwards through hoops for minorities these days. It’s irritating to be told that I live in color-blind society when I clearly don’t.

5. Donald Joy says:

Lincoln should have followed through with his stated ideal of repatriation to Africa post-emancipation.

• Arkindole says:

He tried Liberia pre-unpleasantness and only 15,000 showed up.

• TheFenian says:

That’s uncalled for. Shocking to see that here at the Treehouse.

With this site being know for it’s abundance of intelligent Americans of all races and genders and ethnicities supporting Donald Trump, why would you post something that can be used by other sites and publications to prove a false narrative: that Trump supporters are ignorant, uneducated, hate filled, bitter white racists ?

Or was that your purpose ? To further the false narrative ?

• Donald Joy says:

Take it up with Lincoln, genius. Better yet, explain to me just why it is that you should be allowed to post a differing opinion from mine in this forum, since you allege that I shouldn’t be able to share mine here.

Is it your position that Lincoln, and our founders/forefathers were ignorant, uneducated, hate-filled, and bitter? They mostly believed as I believe.

Just because you’ve been taught to think a certain way about human biodiversity doesn’t mean your beliefs are accurate or moral, or that someone who, like myself, was previously trained his whole life to think and believe as you still do, can’t express his post-awakening perspective.

Oh, but I forgot, the politically correct view is the only one permitted…

• TheFenian says:

Your curious rant says a lot about you.

Obviously you didn’t read my comment. Or perhaps you did but are incapable of understanding it. I don’t really care. Any way, I’ll say a pray for your soul.

• cmscarpa says:

Say a pray? — if you absolutely MUST do the smarmy concern thing. By the way, it’s off-putting.

• FriendlyKoala says:

Actually, it doesn’t say anything about him, except that he is exactly the same as you.

What it says is about the science. It says that there is scientific research that he has accidentally stumbled upon, but which you have not seen yet.

I’m sure he read and understood your comment, but disagrees about the danger to Trump’s campaign posed by rare non-PC comments here.

• FriendlyKoala says:

Are you suggesting black people should have had to continue living under evil white oppression, when they could have received free tickets back to black countries where they’d live in a paradise free from racism?

It’s not uncalled for. It’s absolutely necessary to have some people say such things, even if you don’t personally agree. Especially if it is shocking.

We are forced to live in cognitive dissonance. We all know, even you, with absolute certainty, that black people were better off living under white oppression and segregation, than they would have been living in their own countries without white people. By any objective measure, white “oppression” was, and is, the best thing that ever happened to black people.

But we’re forced to pretend otherwise because that politically incorrect fact completely and totally demolishes the victim narrative. Black people don’t flee from white “oppression” and “racism”. They flee TO white “oppression” and “racism”.

The Conservative Treehouse isn’t that well known and most people aren’t aware of it as a home for Trump supporters. So I don’t think it will hurt his campaign if the rare politically incorrect comment on race shows up here. Everyone already knows that there are race realists who support Donald Trump, but that most of his supporters aren’t like that.

Donald Joy isn’t ignorant, uneducated, hateful, or bitter. Quite the opposite. It’s the politically correct liberals who are like that.

• I came here so all truths could be spoken – even the most challenging, sad, and insoluble. I want free speech back in its entirety.

People say stuff on here all the time that I don’t agree with, and they frequently generalize about my ethnic background, gender, or religious beliefs, or those of my friends, in ways that I feel are mostly wrong, yet there is often some truth, even in what I see as a perspective which doesn’t have what my perspective offers (you see, I’m even loathe to call their view “ignorant”, because a lot of new truth looks ignorant until it doesn’t).

We need to come to grips with the idea that some cultures don’t mix well, and that it may very well be more than just OK to not force incompatible cultures to merge. As you can see, I care more about culture than race. That’s simply my perspective.

6. beth60497 says:

I read an article awhile back about this same experiment being done with college aged kids.. It even had video. Probably where this teacher got the idea.
    Still a stupid experiment, but college kids better able to get over it.

7. Arkindole says:

That’s not a “part” of the social studies core for the first grade in FL. Those kids cry when another kid squashes a bug in front of them or when their shoes are untied. The teacher (who probably just started teaching) went rogue with the “payback” and that’s not going to end well in that county. It’s ok, though, because Orange county and points to the northeast embrace that crap–lots positions always open there for the activists.

8. stringy theory says:

This is insane and the person who did this needs serious discipline and then sent to a reeducation camp.

9. tampafan says:

First grade is way too young for this exercise – which I found quite educational – in 6th grade (1970 something!) I recall the emphasis was on the blue eyed kids getting extra perks and privileges, rather than demeaning us green-eyed/brown-eyed kids. The real lesson was how quickly kids became arrogant and entitled, even as we knew this was a contrived exercise.
    The post-exercise discussion emphasized the value of individual behavior, accomplishment, earned respect, etc., vs. appearance (not really any more emphasis on race than weight, attractiveness, religion, hair color, height)…. Thinking that first grader’s have the ability to process and use this experience is ignorant.

• Trumped says:

Yeah its a good exercise if properly done in the right context.
      Surely in first grade eliciting commonalities makes intuitivly more sense.

• TheFenian says:

As I recall first grade, we made cut out silhouettes of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln’s profiles.
        When my son was in first grade (2001) he came home with assume artwork we hung on the fridge and even occasionally on the wall.
        This though is sick. How does a 1st grade teacher not have knowledge of a 1st graders cognitive and emotional abilities ?
        Sick, sick, sick.

• barbrepko says:

She was replicating a research study from the 1960’s on 3rd graders. How is that sick? SMH

• KBR says:

Research study.

That is how that’s sick. First grade is not a laboratory, and children are not lab rats.

Third graders aren’t even ready for such psychological indoctrinations.

I find it hard to believe that anybody thinks this is a good idea…but then of course most of the positive comments are likely from those who were indoctrinated themselves.

School is for teaching school subjects, like reading writing arithmetic geography.

Social mores and values teaching is up to parents. PARENTS.

• moogey says:

Barbrepeko, you are trolling. Stop now. This is not Breitbart, this is not Twitchy, these forums are not for aggression but for information. You have posted your information, now move on.

• She was replicating a research study that was done on third graders whose parents gave permission to the researchers to mess with their kids minds. This teacher had no such permission.

• BobW462 says:

Of course this exercise was inappropriate for elementary students. That’s why it’s obvious to me that this was less about teaching and more about advancing selfish motives.

• barbrepko says:

This was a replication of a research study done in the 1960’s on young children to teach about racism. SMH at the “outrage”.

• BobW462 says:

Despite your rigorous defense of this teacher’s decision to “teach” based upon some 1960 era study, I believe the original report stated that this was not an approved part of the school’s curriculum.

You know, a lot of what may have seemed to be “cutting-edge” in the ’60s doesn’t seem so relevant or useful today. IMO, That’s mostly a good thing.

• TheFenian says:

Knock off your crap.
          Learn how to properly behave or get lost.

• auscitizenmom says:

Until I hear differently, I will believe that this teacher was teaching racism to the black/brown kids. Especially to children this young, what this was saying is – look at how privileged these white kids are. And, at this point in history I think this is all stupid anyway.

• barbrepko says:

Actually she was replicating a research study done in the 1960’s at an all white school. SMH

• auscitizenmom says:

I believe this is the 4th time you have stated this. I actually was aware of the exercise done back then . One of the problems with this was that the teacher made the blue eyed kids the privileged ones. It should have been the brown eyed kids. This made it racist to do. Too many blacks think they are being discriminated against when it is actually their actions that are the reason they are not accepted they way they want to be.

• Trumped says:

It doesnt matter what colour was privileged, both ways would have been racist and not helpfull.

To make it a learning experiences, with older students, everyone should have been once in a privileged and disadvantaged position and then have it discussed.

• Jenny R. says:

First, the teacher shouldn’t have done this at all with that age of child; second, no physical attributes should be the basis for the dividing of the class (and there should have been no name calling, which is strike three).
            It isn’t a good lesson in anti-discrimination as it can be a lesson in becoming immune to bias/indoctrination that pressures one to lose one’s morality (I liked to do it while having the class go through newspapers, etc. and pick out where, if any, there was actual news as opposed to newpeak; it’s kind of advantageous to drive home the perils of giving into intimidation, lies, and flattery) — as such suitable only for kids who are (hopefully) taking civics or have taken it.

• swissik says:

We heard you already. Is there another site you can spread your information? Adieu!

• stringy theory says:

I say this sort of stuff has no place in school at any level. They need to focus on teaching actual subjects–reading, writing, grammar, spelling, math . . . the sort of stuff they used to teach before public education went into the crapper.

• Jenny R. says:

And what about critical thinking? Determining bias or even outright unreliablity in a written or spoken source? Civics? Part of the problem we have now is that we no longer teach foundational learning at the lower levels nor do we progressively bring in critical thinking skills at the higher levels (they get the rote learning there instead). Yet I am still supposed to be having high schoolers reading Marx as well as some others without the proper preparation in how to read critically and think about what one reads (which is a bit impossible to do in a week). No, banning Marx won’t cure this: teaching people to be able to read with an eye to discernment can however.
        Hence the reason we are pumping out an increasingly ignorant population (coupled with the “oooh my feelings” and everybody gets a participation award. It’s positively toxic.

10. Sandra says:

What a great way to create little racists. The teacher must despise whites.

11. Harley Driver says:

Some years ago, I recall watching a video of a 1st or 2nd grade class doing that same experiment. It was part of our Corporate Diversity Training. I thought it was weird.

12. MVW says:

Psychological experiments with children, no parental approval, beyond irresponsible.

13. conservativehippie says:

there is not a single day that goes by where we don’t learn of the shenanigans going on inside the classrooms. the abuse, whether it’s mental, physical or sexual is ever present from the teachers and/or the pupils.

we all know full well that the schools are a communist construct designed to indoctrinate the children and to kill their creativity and self-worth.

but by all means, keep sending your precious children there…

14. BobNoxious says:

This is a copy of the Jane Elliot experiment from back in the 60s and 70s.

PBS Frontline did a special on it too.

• BobNoxious says:

I’d add, first grade seems a little to young to try this- if it’s even appropriate anymore today.

• Indeed. My little ghetto-country school did this to us in the 70s and 80s.

• FriendlyKoala says:

It wasn’t an experiment. It was a well-meaning attempt to teach the children about segregation and MLK. Unlike the current teacher, she was very careful about how she did it, eg. swapping the roles, so as not to traumatise the children.

But it was still based on a politically correct falsehood. Race isn’t as arbitrary as eye color. There are currently differences between how white people behave on average and how black people behave on average. And there is actually a one standard deviation difference between the races in how they perform on standardised tests.

And nobody has been able to replicate the stereotype threat hypothesis that Jane Elliott claimed to find.

But in more recent times, Jane Elliott has given up her principles and now teaches pure anti-white hate classes instead, where she doesn’t swap the roles and just tells brown-eyed people they are superior.

15. Craig W. Gordon says:

AA (Affirmative Action) has been an on going experiment in the U.S. Gov’t for decades. How many promotions/raises were denied to those that earned them? How many received a promotion just… ‘because’?

16. TwoLaine says:

I don’t know if I am surprised or po’d that this is a Charter School. For some reason I tho’t they might have a little more brains. Obviously not.

• Jenny R. says:

Charter schools are really no better than public ones. Indeed, some of them are even worse. The same goes for private schools.
      It very much comes down to what sort of admin. and staff places have — I’ve seen public schools with excellent teachers and charter/private ones who routinely hire some real duds (and no, you can’t judge who will be good by their ideology or anything like that…and don’t get me started on text book publishing companies…like I’ve said before: homeschoolers are not immune either…besides the fact that many parents just are not good at teaching in the first place….ask me about the 7 yo. who didn’t know how to write the alphabet).
      For what it’s worth: my husband (history teaching degree; minor in business law) and myself (English, minor in pre-med, don’t ask) go through used texts and library books and encourage our kids to read, as well as buying science kits/musical instruments/art sets and going on mini-vacations to national and state parks. It’s really the only way we’ve found that works.

• TwoLaine says:

Ah yes. The good ole days! I made audio books for mine before there were audio books. Got the grandparents in on making them too.

Mine were teaching classes to their own dolls using those same books before pre-k and kindergarten. :)

Sadly, school then chewed them up and spit them out. Didn’t take long before the dumbing down began. I remember one had the same book as a class reading project 3 grades in a row. I hit the roof.

We also played games on the road with street signs, billboards, and they learned the capitals of all the states, besides where they were.

And, musical instruments too. I have a grandson that can play a harmonica like no ones business thanks to me. I had one at home and in the car. He used to entertain me in the car with it, especially. Miss that! :)

• Jenny R. says:

The trick is to teach your children to also know how to operate under, well, let’s be honest, a Soviet style system.
          It is a hard thing to do to one’s children, but unfortunately I find it to be necessary.
          My husband and I…our families have both had experience under fascist and communist systems. From tragedy can come benefits…

17. angie says:

The experiment is a good one for OLDER students-junior high or high school. Little kids don’t grasp the concept. They just know people were mean to them. The problem too is that this idiot of a teacher may have caused a situation where the kids will resent each other.

• Sandra says:

I don’t think it’s a good experiment at all. The year is not 1966. It’s 2016. Everything is diferent now. I think whites are now discriminated against more than minorities.

• angie says:

Racism doesn’t just go one way. The lesson can also be used as racism against any group, including White people.

• FriendlyKoala says:

While it theoretically could be, we all know they would only use it to justify and encourage racism against white people.

There is no recognition that the vast majority of hate crimes and interracial violence are non-white people attacking white people. Because it is politically incorrect to notice that.

There is no recognition that universities and employers always discriminate in favor of non-white people with affirmative action.

And there is no recognition that any criticism of non-white people is heavily punished, while any criticism of white people is rewarded and praised.

We aren’t allowed to notice or teach such things, nor call for equal treatment of all races.

• FriendlyKoala says:

I agree.
        But Even in 1966, Martin Luther King Jr. wasn’t the saint he is made out to be. His records had to be sealed for 50 years to create that illusion.

18. John Galt says:

“Kids, ages 7 and 8, were separated by eye color, then discriminated against for several hours.”

Eye color is highly correlated with race. Discrimination on the basis of race violates Title VI. Cut off their federal money.

• lorac says:

Not to diminish your point, but whites are the true people of color. Whites can have any of the various hair colors humans have (as well as the various possible natural styles – straight, curly, tight curl, wavy). Whites can also have any of the various possible eye colors.

I have blue eyes. I’m a minority in this country and the whole world. And I think it’s about time I start getting special minority benefits lol (especially since the US and world elites seem to want to kill us off).

19. amwick says:

https://www.facebook.com/MinneolaCharter You can read through some of the comments. Some of the parents are supporting the teacher, in a way. It seems that one parent had an issue and went straight to the media, instead of contacting the teacher or the school directly. I can’t help but feel that was sneaky. Personally I think those children were too young, but I think we are missing details about what actually happened. This is all coming from one 7 year old’s perspective.

• FriendlyKoala says:

If 7 year olds can’t understand, then the teacher was doing the wrong thing, period.

I think they did the right thing by going to the media, because this is a systemic problem, not just a single school. All school children are being brainwashed with far-left propaganda in a way that will be psychologically damaging for many.

20. lol, my college speech class, which btw i took last year, was subjected to viewing a seriously outdated 1960s era video of jane elliot’s BS brown eyes/blue eyes experiment. our teacher, who imo was a bit of a quack herself, got it off youtube.

• BS indeed. I tried to watch the show on the link kindly provided by BobNoxious. May I say that the show was, um, noxious? or should I say, nauseous-inducing?

• BobW462 says:

Actually, I imagine that since the early ’70s many students have been exposed to Elliot’s experiment. These experiments have indeed been widely applied/debated over the years, and remain quite controversial in terms of their ultimate value.

21. HarleyQuinn says:

I have been reading the bios of the female first grade teachers. They all appear to have several years of experience. Wondering if the teacher’s link was taken down because of the investigation.

22. Sandra says:

Now we know why so many whites and non-whites alike grow up to hate whites. It can take decades to wipe out some of this brainwashing.

• Sandra says:

By the way, notice that the teacher supposedly performed this experiment so that the kids could experience the discrimination of 50 years ago. The teacher probably wasn’t even alive 50 years ago, or was a young child. Would she really know what things were like back then? Also, times have changed rather drastically since the 1960’s. This is an archaic exercise that could only have caused hard feelings and upset, no enlightenment whatsoever.

• John Galt says:

The brain washing will continue in free community college.

23. holydiver505 says:

Join us tomorrow kids when our guest lecturers will be Al Sharpton and Louis Farrakhan. $10 says that teacher is the new superintendent within the year.

24. Donald Joy says:

Jane Elliot is the evil anti-white lesbian who originated this exercise as an elementary school teacher in the mid-1960s.

She terrorized white children for decades, and terrorized white employees in workplaces by moving her vicious tactics into corporate diversity training seminars. She’s been the heroine of Oprah appearances and the usual liberal education circles. There are numerous videos on YouTube of her vicious bullying tactics deployed against captive youngsters and gelded honkus employees. Rarely will you encounter a more vile, hateful witch than Elliott. Unfortunately our entire culture supports the overall mindset she spearheaded in education.

• Donald Joy says:

Elliott alleged that racial discrimination is based on nothing more than a physical characteristic over which someone has no control.

By that fallacious reasoning, we’d have to stop “oppressing” and discriminating against dairy cows, and give them affirmative action jobs, because the differences between them and straight white males are mere physical characteristics over which they have no control.

• auscitizenmom says:

Well, well, well, this is interesting. It seems many of us here who have grave questions about this little “experiment” with the children are not so far off. This is from Wikipedia. Capitals are mine.

“Academic research into Elliott’s exercise shows moderate results in reducing long-term prejudice[13][14] but is INCONCLUSIVE ON THE QUESTION OF WHETHER THE POSSIBLE PSYCHOLOGICAL HARM OUTWEIGHS THE POTENTIAL BENEFITS.[15][16] She has been accused of scaring people, breaking the school rules, humiliating children, and being domineering, angry, and brainwashing. Two professors of education in England, Ivor F. Goodson and Pat Sikes, ARGUE THAT WHAT ELLIOTT DID WAS UNETHICAL, CALLING THE EXERCISE PSYCHOLOGICALLY AND EMOTIONALLY DAMAGING. They also stated ethical concerns pertaining to the fact that the children were not told of the purpose of the exercise beforehand.[3]”

• spot on! and check it, in the those vintage video clips of her circa late 60s…yikes!!…she looks like wizard of oz, actress margaret hamilton in her full pre-witch miss gulch makeup. they could be twins. absolutely wretched.

• FriendlyKoala says:

She wasn’t evil when she first started in the 1960s. She was a very good person who was just misguided and wrong. She started out very careful about how she did it. But as she got involved in the far-left anti-white cult, she became more and more evil.

Now she is a vicious bully and a vile hateful witch. That’s what political correctness and cultural Marxism do to people.

25. Bart Manson ✓ᴺᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰᵃˡᶦˢᵗ says:

The only hope is either private school, or homeschooling. I would love it if we saw an explosion in homeschooling over the next couple of years.

• amwick says:

The parents at that school don’t seem to be totally freaked out. I have no doubt that teacher had good intentions, but went outside the envelope. The parents at the school had really good comments, it is a shame no one seems interested in what they are saying. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a petition being circulated by some of these people to make sure the teacher is kept on by the school.

• Craig W. Gordon says:

Private schools are inflicted as well. I know this from personal experience, at a ‘Christian’ school. Black Liberation Theology has crept its tentacles into many churches. Most people can’t see it. Homeschooling, as much as we used to be against it years ago, is the only way we’d do it again.

• FriendlyKoala says:

President Trump will help fix the problem. It is possible to win back our education system from the extremists. But it will take a long time and a lot of hard work from our activists.

26. The Boss says:

I wonder if Jeb! will showcase this as an example of what we can expect under his leadership.

• Interesting, has Jeb! or Rubio commented on this teachers “lesson”. Is it part of Jeb!’s Common Core program that he thinks all our school children should be forced to be a part of ? Maybe his mom can do another video for him and let us know.

• singtune says:

Here in Florida “Common Core’ Methods have to be used, at some level, even in the “Private” Schools~! My daughter here, & other parents at that School, are livid about that. However, her only choice then, is to Home School. For an only child, in my daughter’s case, this is not necessarily a great Social choice. Her daughter needs to be around other children.

• lorac says:

I’ve heard that home schoolers often connect with others doing the same thing. Then a lot of the time they get the kids together as a group to go on educational field trips, or to have a speaker present something to them, or even to learn to play a musical instrument together.

• auscitizenmom says:

My son is an only child. He was homeschooled until the 11th grade. He has grown into a very mature, serious, happy person. He chose a wonderful woman to marry and now has a child that he dotes on and helps care for. He is very responsible and loved by his wife and in-laws. What most people consider as socialization is actually children learning from other children. What does a 6 year old teach another 6 year old? They teach them to be a 6 year old because that is what they know. Seriously. Look at the teenagers we read about all the time. They have learned from each other. There are homeschool groups that you can join and children can spend time together. They don’t need to be institutionalized with same age children for 6 or 8 hours a day.

27. jrobinson says:

This “blue eyes” curriculum has actually been around for decades. I remember going through it in middle school in 1980. At the time, I thought it was kind of eye-opening…but looking back on it, I find it eye-opening for different reasons…it’s amazing how easy it is to make humans hate another group of humans for something stupid like eye color (or skin color, which is the point of the exercise). But what it also taught me is how easy it is to CREATE RACISM. How easy it was to separate the group into “minorities”, how easy it was to make them feel oppressed…and how easy it is to cash in on that and use it for political leverage.

• It is especially easy to teach one group of humans how to hate another group of humans based on eye color or skin color and to teach racism in schools if there is no parental teachings at home. Parents can still have a lot of influence over their children. The parents at this school seem to be on the ball and trying to keep a handle on the situation. I hope they really hold the school officials feet to the fire on this one.

• Jenny R. says:

I found it valuable to teach students how easy it was to go along with things that they knew were wrong (or at the most just plain stupid and arbitrary) if subjected to the right amounts of intimidations, lies/bias, and flattery. (and it didn’t take much, just the promise that the discriminated group would do nothing and would receive a failing grade no matter what they did, the privledged group would also do nothing and receive As, and the neutral group would be able to get a C, maybe a B for something truly stellar according to me and the alphas if they agreed to write all hour about how wonderful the alpha group was, how they so deserved every benefit they got and how horrible it was to be the omega group which should never be allowed any consideration). Only once did one lone student stand up and say “enough” (he promptly got rewarded) — we discussed this, and I readily admitted that indeed I had been acting like a rotten tinpot dictator….and that they had handed over even their constitutional rights in allowing my shenanigans!
      And most importantly, how they must always prepare themselves to resist such things, because that sort of thing is out there.
      I did see the studies and decided to tweak it a bit — because the studies themselves were cruel, arbitrary, and engaging in indoctrination, intimidation, bias, lies, and flattery.
      I think the blue eyes/brown eyes thing was ridiculous…as a study in racism it was worthless.

28. When I went to Tavares HS it was at all segregated. This is progress?

29. Reality Wins says:

When the Khmer Rouge took over Cambodia they sent the government workers and educators to the killing fields where most died. Back in 1975 I wondered, “Why would they do something like that?” Fourty years later I no longer wonder.

• Jenny R. says:

So…you want the country to go the way of Cambodia?

• Reality Wins says:

No, I want the country to go the way of the American Revolutiion.

When it comes to the point where too many of your fellow citizens get off on the power of messing with everyones’ lives, change will not come about with discussion. They knew this at the founding of our country. Those in power were willing to sell out their countrymen for whatever favors were bestowed on them by the King. Sound familiar?

Would I round up fellow Americans and send them to camps? Never. But it seems too many American citizens are willing to support the reeducation camps that exist today disguised as American public schools, especially those who profit from them. They are the biggest contributing factor to the problems we have. Are you a teacher?

An educated populace would not have allowed the US to go down the road of globalization and enslavement. The education/indoctrination industry has been paid off for decades to dumb down the populace and purposely not teach the history of Western culture and of our founding. Point of fact, they debase both every chance they get. The teacher in this article is a prime example. Trump wants to return the schools to be run at the local level and get the feds out. Step in the right direction but there are many who know they won’t go quietly.

The divide in this country is not so much left/right, liberal/conservative, at its core it is urban vs rural. Would I be willing to stop growing food and trucking it to the cities? If that is what it will take to get the attention of those who view with disdain what they refer to as ‘fly-over country’, in a heartbeat. It is time those who want to run everyone else’s lives when they can’t even run their own learn the lesson that you reap what you sow. All the rest of America has to do is stop enabling them.

30. milo minderbinder says:

I had this nonsense tried on me 40 years ago in 5th grade.

31. I’m sure it was a liberal teacher ostensibly giving a lesson on how bad racial discrimination is, but actually just trying to get people to hate whites, especially blue-eyed whites.

32. Lou says:

guess Jane Elliott would be fired today.
    she was the originator of the experiment.
    I remember watching it on network TV back in the 1980’s.

• Jenny R. says:

Back then she should have been reprimanded at the very least for doing it the way she did, and to that age children. It really was poorly done imo.

33. onsu says:

The principal said a first grade experiment with 7 and 8 year olds. So kids are failing kindergarten in FL now. My son was 5 when he started kindergarten in FL. I guess no child left behind is not working so good in FL.

34. FriendlyKoala says:

This is actually what stopped me from being a socialist several years ago.

• auscitizenmom says:

Was your decision because of being in this type of lesson or was it the fact that you objected to the teacher doing this experiment?

35. Pingback: Tired of Teaching Reading and Writing, This Teacher Decided to Teach Racism! | Dave Alexander & Company with Ukuleledave and David Edgren — This is the original Artisan Craft Blog

36. Smoking Lizard says:

Vouchers would cute all this.

37. skeptiktank says:

I’m not proud of what I was watching at the time, but I happened to see this episode of Oprah. What struck me was how angry the brown eyed group became. They actually bought into this nonsense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOTxammRTw

38. shipley130 says:

This same “type” of classroom experiment is shown on one of those “teaching” episodes on PBS. That might be where this “teacher” got the idea.

39. Truthfilter says:

Good grief! If elementary teachers would spend more time teaching little Johnnie how to read and write instead of doing these silly “experiments,” he might not be failing my 10th grade class! This infuriates me. I don’t care if the experiment was done in the 1960s. Too many of my high school students lack basic skills and I did NOT sign up to be an elementary teacher to 16 year olds.

• angie says:

You think that’s bad (and it is), I walked into the wrong college class once and students were being taught how to add single digit whole numbers!😦

40. BohoVoyage says:

I believe the teacher should have gotten permission from the school, as well as the parents, before conducting this experiment. The teacher should have also perhaps switched the days, and treated those with brown eyes with superiority first. However, there are plenty of white people with brown eyes. I definitely wouldn’t have been one to sit among those with blue eyes. Though, after watching this video of Jane Elliot conducting this experiment with her 3rd grade class back in the 60s/early 70s I concluded that this may actually have been a lesson worth continuing. These 3rd grade children were around the same age as those from this class, and were able to comprehend the message being delivered. The message that no one should be treated differently based on their eye colour, skin colour, body size, or for any other reasons. You see these kids go from being rude and discriminatory towards each other, to completely being able to understand how someone else different from them could be feeling, when on the first day of this lesson they could not have.
    If you’re interested in viewing the video here is the link: http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/osi04.soc.ush.civil.divided1/a-class-divided-1-the-daring-lesson/