Guidelines For Comments

“Seek first to understand, then to be understood”.

treehouse21.) First, please READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD – and the full context of any discussion thread you wish to participate in. Skipping to the comments to express an opinion without reading the content of the discussion is not helpful. Often we find many of the points injected into comments are already outlined in the construct of the thread itself.

2.) STAY ON TOPIC – please do not post something unrelated to the specific matter and content of the thread subject. There is a ALWAYS a daily open thread available for any subject you feel should get attention. However, if we are currently investing time in a current case discussion (ex. Zimmerman/Martin, Wilson/Mike Brown, Chambers) DO NOT, post those topics on the Daily Open Thread.

3.) NARROW YOUR THOUGHTS – Quality beats quantity. Construct your comments to target specific areas and not broad generalizations about the discussion topic at hand. If you have four or five disconnected points, break them up into individual comments.

4.) AVOID GENERALIZATIONS – words like “he, she, they, it, them” should rarely be used. Spell out “who” using the name, spell out who “they” are at the beginning of every sentence in your paragraph; so that there is clarity as to who you are talking about.

5.) BLOCK PARAGRAPHSDo not post huge blocks of text. Think of the reader, and modify your presentation for understanding, not for exclaiming. Do not write to yourself, you are writing to others, so please structure your presentations such that other people can grasp and enjoy. NEVER post massive blocks of text without paragraph breaks.

Do not post huge blocks of text

6.) PARAGRAPHS – Should NEVER be longer than two or three sentences taking up three to five standard lines of text. Again, you are writing to understand, not to be understood, the emphasis should be on the reader comprehending what you are sharing.

Do not post huge blocks of text

7.) SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION – This is not school and we do not demerit for poor spelling, nor do we allow anyone to call others out for the same. However, if your construct is too poorly written the context is lost and important details can be missed.

Do not post huge blocks of text

8.) TIME – Everyone ‘s time is valuable. Some of our discussion threads are 500 to 1,000+ comments long. Please try not to duplicate the commentary that might already exist and has been missed because the entire thread has not been analyzed. We try to limit the comments to 500 and then post another related thread, but with some research threads it is challenging to do so because we do not want to break a continuity.

Do not post huge blocks of text

9.) THOUSANDS ARE WATCHING – For every person writing, there are 1000 or more reading lurkers. Do not write anything you would not say in your own living room. Do not disparage our conversation with vulgarity, profanity, or any expressions of any “ism”.

Troll10.) MODERATION / FILTERING THE HATE – Because of our honest approach at seeking facts and truth, and openly discussing various analytical theories along the way, we are bombarded by those with ulterior motives which include:

• Intentional efforts to distract
  • Intentional diatribes to affix labels to our objectives
  • Intentional expressions of rabid hate, vulgarity, and threats.
  • Trolling and professional obfuscation.
  • Concern Trolling as a tool of distraction and derailing conversation.
  • Psy-ops and Intentional Efforts to diminish fact-finding.

We do our earnest best to stop the agenda hoard at the moderation gates, however sometimes they get through. If you see something untoward say something. When a new comment surfaces that we view is only presented to argue, we watch carefully – but we also are not perfect. You can help. Feel free to alert us via email.

11.) MANNERS MATTER – Simple kindnesses and courtesy should always be present in tone and content. When writing ask yourself before you hit “send” does this add value?

SUMMARY: You, the Treehouse community have historically accomplished a lot. Through exhaustive research and analysis our accuracy and reputation for truthful fact-finding, regardless of where it leads, is well regarded. Retain that distinction of intellectual armament.

We are The Conservative Treehouse, not because of political affiliation, but rather because the word “conservative” expresses our outlook. We would rather be deep, than wide; we would rather be honest, than popular; we avoid semantics in favor of accurately presenting both intention and meaning.

We are bold in our willingness to go into conversational places where others do not, and we are brave enough to stand firm for principles which are time tested.

We would rather advertise our outlook so the viewer can understand our perspective on a particular subject, than deceptively claim we are something else and deliver an inherently biased view. The entire spectrum of the MSM is based on the latter.

Every reader knows where we stand on any given issue, and our opinions -while they may be unpopular- are based on solid research and analytical insight into the subject matter at hand. This is why our predictive analysis is routinely more accurate than others.

Lastly, this Treehouse is a conversation. Just like sitting on a porch with friends.

Because the “conversation” is the ends and not the means, this approach inherently means YOU are the important part:

[Remember] …”However each of us got here, it’s probably a fact that we have the turmoil of those storms in common, perhaps some unease that we could share and always, we also find fresh ground to cover from day to day.

We’re developing valuable relationships as we trust one another in our community in the woods. The chatting in the branches encourages, strengthens and equips for some serious walking.

We think the Treehouse is a good armory for those who doing long distance walking for the sake of our nation. We hope you’ll think so, too. Find yourself a good branch….or just pull up a rock to the campfire”.

The smores can be enjoyed because our Wolverines faithfully patrol the perimeter.

And more often than not…

dog in tree

This entry was posted in Treehouse Campfire, Treehouse Tips, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

124 Responses to Guidelines For Comments

1. WeeWeed says:

We have to post this about once a year. All new readers would be way ahead to read the rules and abide by them. All opinions are welcome, but profanity, personal attacks and circular arguments (concern trolling) are not. The moderators WILL bounce you.
    Have a nice day.

• Regina says:

I recently saw a post from Sundance asking to not post links without an explanatory statement (don’t see that in the guidelines?).

Can I ask for clarification on something that I’m guilty of myself? When relaying news articles, what would be considered the ‘recommended limit’ for posting the entire article vs. posting a snippet and a link to the article? Should text copy be limited to 3 or so paragraphs – and if choosing non-contiguous paragraphs, should those all stay in a single comment?

thanks –

• WeeWeed says:

I usually have one sentence that includes the title, and just paste the link.

• bulwarker says:

You have to be careful when re-posting content cut from news articles, I think copyright law only allows for a small portion of the whole to be reproduced, and with attribution. This is especially important if you are pasting from a website that is not friendly to our side and likely to take matters seriously.

• nyetneetot says:

Hugs WeeWeed. 😉

• You are correct! Lot of posts here just place opinions about other issues without reading the title! That would help! Thanks! Sometimes we are guilty as well>

• joebal says:

On the point of precision and accuracy it would be even better if the idea of “conservative” being thrown around as some end all be all meaning that encompasses all that is good and nothing that is bad, were re-examined.

I’m certain I am nothing like the right winger conservatives who believe big government ran by god fearing ultraconservative blue law tent preachers that people like sean hannity espouse.

Let’s be clear, conservative DOES NOT mean small government to a very large portion of the population, and it IS NOT THE SAME as Libertarian.

• Suzy Kiprien says:

Totally agree with everything. Those all CAPS and lengthy paragraphs are killers.

2. Paul Killinger says:

Donald Trump himself is an excellent example of this. He keeps it brief, simple, succinct and doesn’t vary his message. When writing we should try to emulate him.

• Judgy says:

Right! I’m often guilty about being too wordy myself, & will try to remember how much this site is NOT about trying to impress the other posters (no matter HOW MUCH they impress ME) w/ attempts at cleverness or wit–it is about true communication of worthy IDEAS.

Trump is doing FANTASTIC, but there is still much work to do. These guidelines, of course, should ALWAYS be applied, but the importance of NOW cannot be underestimated! Love to all the Treepers!! Thanks to SD & all the Mods!

3. Strike1 says:

I Love this Treehouse……

4. Paula says:

I read it! 🙂

5. I’m fairly new to posting and had not read this before. Thanks for the information, and after reading, it appears I may have broken some of the rules about brevity and staying within the topic of the thread. Won’t happen again, sorry 🙂 !!!!

Great rules btw, agree with everything and understand now why it’s so important.

6. TravelChic1984 says:

I found you a few months ago & recently followed on Twitter (double the fun 😄). Onboard with you all the way and thankful to find a place to call “home” in this crazy world of politics. Appreciate all you do. 👍

7. WeeWeed says:

To you 500 or so people I’ve bounced out of here this morning, rethink your vocabulary! There’s lots of words that have more than 4 letters! 😀

8. mightyconservative says:

I appreciate your gentle admonishment about manners. Some of my favorite websites have devolved into name calling and mud-slinging in the comment section. More and more, I turn here for thoughtful conversation.

• 300 says:

Britebart has devolved into agree with me or you are a Nazi. Oops there’s that 4 letter word again.

• jello333 says:

It’s absolutely incredible how well these guys keep things under control. There’s just Sundance and 7 (I think) mods. I’m sure back in the beginning things weren’t so hard, but over the years, especially when certain topics are being discussed?… just… yeah, these guys have to slog through literally thousands of comments just to weed out the garbage. And that’s just one part of what Wee and others do around here. While Sundance does the majority of writing, the others also do their share and are amazing writers themselves. So really, I don’t know how they do it…I’m really in awe of these guys.

9. don welch says:

well….ok then. good advice.

10. TrueHawk says:

I used to read every word of National Rino but realized overtime they were “do nothing” Republicans. Enjoy this site and Prntly (sic) blog. Gateway Pundit pro Trump also

11. TheFenian says:

May I ask about acronyms ?

I think all readers understand the basic ones that can be found in any publication or website – FBI, CIA, GOP etc etc etc.

However, and conceding that others are more intelligent than myself, I often find when reading comments that I either have no idea what the esoteric acronym stand for or I spend an inordinate amour of time trying to figure out what the comenter is saying.

Isn’t the point of comments to be to have an idea or situation better understood or to pass along important information ? Between the abundance of acronyms (coupled with silly mutations of names), the aim of the comment is often lost. At least on me.

• TrueHawk says:

Excuse me if this acronym already one you know: RINO = Republican in Name Only. (Bet you knew that.)

• TheFenian says:

That’s something clearly found in common usage. Perhaps I was being too polite in my comment.

I’m talking about acronyms that are created in the comenter’s own head and the ones that have become shorthand, exclusive to longtime, everyday readers of this site and only this site.

They are not helpful.

So let’s just dumb it down to this: if low information outlets like yahoo news or CNN uses an acronym, even the dim witted like me can understand them.

• Kay Elle says:

I share your frustration, Fenian, but it doesn’t mean we lack intelligence or are dim-witted, even though we may be “differently abled” acronymically. 🙂

It’s not just commenters on this site that use sometimes confounding acronyms, though – it’s common practice throughout the blogosphere. I often find myself scratching my head and wondering what I’m missing, but have decided not to worry much about it. Either it will come to me or it won’t. (It took me awhile to figure out LIC, but I’ve come to the conclusion it means Liar In Chief.)

I’m sure part of my problem is not being immersed in the Twitterverse and being too old to care much about the language used by those who communicate mostly by text message using their lightning-fast thumbs. Heck – I can still read and write in cursive (I understand it’s not even taught in grade school anymore) and I try to express myself using good grammar, but I do try to tolerate those who can’t or don’t. Sometimes I do have the urge to shout SPEAK ENGLISH PLEASE!, but I try to suppress it.

• Deb says:

Please name some acronyms you find confusing and I’m sure someone would be happy to help you out.

• Menagerie says:

I agree with what you are saying, but unless some dimwit makes up their own acronyms, I have found most of what I need by googling it. I am behind on learning the lingo of the net it seems, but it really is overused.

• Dixie says:

I, too, have used Google to understand most of them, but there are still some which have me stumped. Those that are 7 and 8 letters long, well, I just skip that comment altogether. Except for….

ROTFLMAO

Good to know I’m not alone……..I thought it was just me.

• Silielas says:

Twitter is common for acronyms because of 140 character limit and sometimes that transfers over to other websites out of habit.

Also acronyms for people’s names are common on Twitter to avoid getting put in a time-out by Twitter because a thin-skinned person reported you (general you, not specific you) for “targeted harassment” even when you aren’t harassing them.

• auscitizenmom says:

I have the same problem. I don’t have a good memory and don’t always manage to figure out what the poster is saying when they use some cool new made-up acronym.

• varsityward says:

I’ve had to Google several acronyms I see here. I think they are common to people who text a lot. Iirc (if I recall correctly) and iow (in other words) are two that spring to mind.

• Rev21v3n4 says:

Here, here. Agree. I have to look a lot of things up too–multiple times, because I forget.

• jeans2nd says:

I have found Urban Dictionary to be my friend. http://www.urbandictionary.com/

• Benson II says:

Google with all it’s faults in other areas is my savior when it comes to spelling, word definitions and acronyms. The best part is when you highlight (what you want to look up) and right click and choose look up with google it opens a separate page so you don’t lose where you are on the page your commenting on.

12. Mo says:

This is just another example of the incestuous so-called conservative media. I used to like and respect some of the authors like Andy McCarthy and Thomas Sowell and even have some of their books – now they are dead to me. It’s clear that these types of ‘conservative’ websites are disingenuous and are on the take, funded by Super -PAC $ or they would be out of business. I can’t wait for a new day when America is Great Again and their super pac money finally dries up.

13. americalsgt says:

Thank you. This is the first time I’ve seen this and will comply as I see my being here a privilege.

14. LoreneTN says:

I read this before and read it again just now. My intent is to keep the rules in mind and follow them when I post. Don’t know if I’m always successful, but will remain cognizant of the rules as I post. Thanks for the reminder.

15. I hope I haven’t violated any of the rules. Regardless, the guidelines will be in the forefront of my mind every time I comment.

🙂

16. liberty2828 says:

The Guidelines Link is posted at the top of the page for future reference.

I do a search on the comments in a thread when the comments are really, really long. I use FIND and plug in the word or words to see if something has already been posted as a link or discussion.

Helps me see if a link has already been posted.

If you are not sure on a poster or want to search yourself, you can google search the name AND conservative treehouse… up comes everything you posted. Same on other sites.

17. budmc says:

Follow the rules or you could be BooTED.

18. redlegleader68 says:

Sundance, like others, this is my first read through the guidelines. They are very meaningful and serve us all well. Thank you!

19. Justice_099 says:

I lurk here every day as a long time visitor/commenter, but many will notice that I haven’t posted much lately. I generally do that around election time because the comments get so voluminous that either you have no idea if something has been already said or you know your comment is unlikely to be seen anyway.

It’s not my site to make any rules (well really it falls into the rule above about added value) but if your comment is just a closed statement that doesn’t really invite any further discussion, it probably doesn’t make sense to post it.

The threads have been chocked full of 100s of single lonely comments without any added information or invitation to discuss. That makes it a pain to try to read through to possibly find some new information.

It’s kinda like “Two Minutes of Hate” sometimes in the comment threads.

JMHO

• Menagerie says:

Using the “does it add value to the discussion” criteria would cut out at least half of our comments, and make our jobs as moderators a lot easier. So many people just have to be cute. We all do that from time to time, but there are some people who post hundreds of comments with nary a point in them.

• Justice_099 says:

What we are best at is community sourced research, IMO. We have such a diverse group here with all sorts of backgrounds and expertise. It’s what I love about this site the most. The articles provide a ton of valuable information, but then usually the comments section provides even more research and information as us Treepers jump on the case.

With hundreds of single, closed comments it makes it very difficult to dig for those nuggets of research.

And yes, I am aware that I am not perfect in this, or any, regard, either. 🙂

20. lastConservinIllinois? says:

Well, i have read the RoE again, and am happy to report:
    Apparently I get it right every time!

Yep, never had an incident, never crossed any lines, never caused a Mod. to take drastic action……….

Yes sir, I have once again proven to be perfect.

By the way, no retorts necessary, I will accept your silence as confirmation and approval.

Thank you for your time, I now return you to your normal perusing.

21. inspiredbytrump says:

Thank you for creating this environment and community. I tend to sit on a branch to listen and learn. I do contribute by sharing my popcorn and hot chocolate by hitting the like button. I love my country and here I can say that without being attacked. What a wonderful gift.

22. Ann Woodward says:

Since 2007 I have searched for a discussion site that met my wants. There is a lot of wasted time and effort form ’07 to ’16. I look forward every day to checking the treehouse for new and exciting articles and posts, altho articles describing the Global Elite throw me in a panic. I have been here 2 or 3 weeks, but plan to make it a permanent “home” “The Last Refuge” is soooo apt;y named.
    Thanks to whomever is responsible, MissPicky

23. Thank you for a great site that I bring home to continued discussions over the dinner table. Long time lurker, first time Trump fan.

24. Menagerie says:

I would just like to add emphasis to what WeeWeed said. If you use profanity, I don’t care how astounding your logic is, I don’t care if you are sharing the scoop that Obama resigned from office two seconds ago and you were there, witnessing it, I am going to trash your comment and never approve another one you make.

Moderation is time consuming and aggravating at times, when people insist on being loud mouthed, rude, and stupid. I used to feel like I owed it to everyone to try to research their history and the context of their comments when they would up in moderation. Now, I mostly trash them if they are profane or rude.

We have so many people who offer and share so much on this site, and we appreciate your input. As is always the case, a few jerks make it rougher for everyone.

• WeeWeed says:

Me, too. It’s only going to get tougher the rest of the year. And I might add this little trick to the list. We’ve seen ’em all. First time poster posts something all rainbows and unicorns with hugs xoxo, gets approved in moderation and then next comment goes on a foul-keyed rant against an individual and what a stupid idiot the poster is and blah, blah, blah. We blacklist those. Not moderate – blacklist. That way even WE don’t have to look at that clown again let alone y’all.
      Feel free to rat out disgusting discourse in email in case one of these gets by us. We bounce ’em with NO explanation.

25. rumpole2 says:

On slightly more serious note. I have posted items/updates relating to a case/topic back in most recent thread on that case/topic.. It seems to get overlooked.. just sayin’

26. texasgypsy53 says:

I’ve tried most of my life to treat people with respect,but as I’ve said before,I don’t suffer fools lightly. It may be my age,or generations of old. My spelling is good,my slang is better,but my Texas attitude is authentic (for good or bad). Been on this sight for a little over a year,and made some friends,maybe a couple of enemies. I ain’t perfect,but God gave me a sense of humor,which I like to use. If I ever get thrown off this sight,it will be over my language, which is part of my personality and how I express myself in anger. Will beg yer pardon for those who have been offended in the past,but I am old now, and am comfortable in my skin. Hope you are too. …Lord love ya all.😊

27. Dixie says:

I would like to inquire sincerely, if humor is acceptable? There are times when the thread may go off the rails slightly because someone has made an humorous comment, causing laughter among many and sometimes humorous responses to the original comment. Many here on CTH have a great sense of humor and the break is sometimes desperately needed. Since it doesn’t necessarily add value to the subject matter, is it unacceptable?

28. SouthCentralPA says:

Well said. Until they change the T in TCH to Trump, tho’, I’ll continue to express my reservations about DJT. Hopefully, I’ve been posting long enough, that people will understand them as genuine concerns and not “concern trolling”.

(and yes, if he wins the nomination, he has my “yuuuuuge” support.) 🙂

29. sixgeese says:

One point not mentioned that I think should be emphasized: avoid obscure abbreviations. I find it annoying when I have to go to Wikipedia or to the Urban Dictionary to figure out what certain abbreviations mean.

30. Sundance, Moderators. Is posting links to InfoWars a no-no? I had posted 2 links the other day with a quick burb about the videos showing the Federal govt employees (BLM?) admitting they grab land out west and underpay for that land. It seems they are gone.

31. Dixie says:

It must have shown up later, conservativeinny, because I remember reading it. That particular subject, especially, interests me so consequently I read all links posted about it.

32. justfactsplz says:

With all of the new traffic at CTH, I am glad to see these guidelines reposted. It is irritating when people comment and it’s obvious they haven’t bothered to read the article posted by Sundance or the administrators, let alone read the comments because they deem them too lengthy. If there is a long video and I haven’t had time to watch it, then I don’t post on that thread.

With all of the different political threads at this time, it would be helpful if one has a comment that is off topic, then put it in the daily general political thread. Just reading the comments here I noticed some people wandering off of the topic of this thread.

• treepersrock says:

justfactsplz ~ (I was formerly “art tart.”) Too, the last couple of times sad news about Democrats that were unpopular w/many, had life changing personal tragedies there were a few problems. There were 2 threads that come to mind:

Joe Biden’s son passed away, a tragedy for any parent to experience, I saw my parent’s hearts break when my sister died, it changes things forever. When former President Jimmie Carter was at death’s door w/cancer, things looked bleak, he is now in better health.

Although it was stated more than once, “It was NOT a Political thread,” many abused anyway. imo, the Moderators had ask nicely, it wasn’t about Politics but many were defiant. Sad I thought at the time that some couldn’t put Politics aside when other’s were suffering regardless of what they had done in the past. We are all American’s, most of us are parent’s, many have had cancer & know the toll it takes on loved ones. I don’t get it, if you can’t have compassion at someone else’s pain, then who are you?

• WeeWeed says:

Wondered where you were, Art. Glad you’re still here.

• justfactsplz says:

It is sad about those tragedies. My heart went out to Joe Biden and Jimmy Carter. My parents lost a son and it forever changed them. I myself am a ten year kidney cancer survivor. It has been a long road. We are all humans and tragedy is no respecter of persons. Not everyone who comes here have the hearts that most do.

• jello333 says:

I was SO proud of the “old-timers” and mods here during the discussion about Jimmy Carter. Whenever one of the (usually drive-by) idiots made a hateful comment, several of the regulars went off on them. Didn’t matter if they liked Carter or not, they still understood how sickening it was that some people would use it as an opportunity to spew their hatred. One of the many times I’ve been really proud of this site.

• justfactsplz says:

It does make one proud. The whole “truth has no agenda” thing sets this site apart from all the run of the mill bickering sites out there. Keeping it classy and caring, Treepers are the best.

33. I have not commented even though I wanted to. I found it personally offensive when one of your regular posters showed disdain for my religion, and just the other day referred to “Moronism.” Sorry, that’s not OK and says I am not welcome on your site.

• WeeWeed says:

Obviously that (along with many, many nasty comments) was not caught and we are trying very hard to correct it. My apologies for his ill manners. We still have a few that must be routed out.

• Rattlerjake says:

You comment in reply to “Diane Lommel, prefer just Anniel” is wrong for several reasons. First, you are willing to censor one commentor in favor of appeasing another commentor because they are “offended”? This is the tactic of the left, not the right. It is one thing to remove comments because they are truly vulgar, contain blatant attacks on someone’s character, or are obvious leftist trolls, but now you’re going to remove posts because they offend someone? Second, The people that come on these sites to read the articles and then leave their comments should be adults and as adults should understand that there will be things said that may offend them. Thanks to our government and public school system, today’s generations don’t have the same expressions or exhibit the same “etiquette” as we may like to see or expect. But, I guess that “Big Boy/Girl rules are NOT in effect” for this site, but political correctness is.

“Usually those offended, are so because the truth hurts”! It would do go for those easily offended to read this: http://www.schultze.org/215pdf.pdf

Also pay attention to what is said about appologizing.

• WeeWeed says:

1) I apologized because it is our (moderator’s) job to see that PERSONAL ATTACKS do not get through. Obviously this guy “got in” with an innocuous comment and then proceeded to start Mormon bashing. MY (our) fault for not catching it – too much traffic.
          “.., but now you’re going to remove posts because they offend someone?..” Damright I am – that opens the Pandora’s box to all kinds of crap, and you know it.
          2) I agree with you – people SHOULD act like adults, but plenty DON’T and the entire universe at large doesn’t need to be exposed to them acting like an ass.

If you don’t like the rules – buzz off.