Macy’s Announces Major Sales Drops Now Cutting Full-Year Forecast…

Macy’s is blaming “warm weather” and “low spending from tourists” for a massive drop in sales and excessive on hand inventory, which has now caused them to cut their full-year sales forecast.

However, given the severity of the backlash against Macy’s over their initial disparagement’s of Donald Trump [June/July 2015], and considering the ongoing visible impacts of “Cold Anger” – perhaps this is more an effect of boycotts AND/OR weather.

macy boycott 2

(Reuters) […] Macy’s Chief Executive Terry Lundgren said on a conference call he was not happy with the company’s performance in the quarter ended Oct. 31.

Sales at stores open at least a year fell 3.6 percent in their third straight quarterly decline. Analysts on average had expected 0.2 percent growth, according to research firm Consensus Metrix.

macy boycott[…]  “We are disappointed that the pace of sales did not improve in the third quarter, as we had expected,” Lundgren said.

Macy’s slide in sales has lasted several quarters and Lundgren said the company would increase the focus of its turnaround plan, including product mix in stores and more experimentation with online sales.

[…] Net income attributable to shareholders fell 45.6 percent to $118 million, or 36 cents per share, partly due to a charge for some planned store closings.

Net sales fell 5.2 percent to $5.87 billion, the third straight quarter of declines and below the analysts’ average estimate of $6.09 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S. (read more)

This entry was posted in Cold Anger, Donald Trump, Economy, Election 2016. Bookmark the permalink.

149 Responses to Macy’s Announces Major Sales Drops Now Cutting Full-Year Forecast…

1. NJF says:

It might not be all attributable to Trump but it’s a sure bet that a good part of it is.

Many were angered with the knee jerk PC reaction.

And it’s a sure bet Trump will attribute their sales slump to him, and rightly so IMO

• Arron C says:

I made my wife take back a purchase over $300 after the trump snub, we haven’t been back since

• kabuki says:

First paragraph of the article shows the effectiveness of the Stone Cold Anger boycott:

“(Reuters) – Warm weather, low spending by tourists and a pileup of unsold inventory prompted Macy’s Inc (M.N) to cut its full-year forecast on Wednesday, raising wide concerns about the retail sector’s financial (lost last bit of copied text)…”

This is due to the actions mentioned on this thread. Cue Trump theme song “We’re not gonna take it anymore.”

• phil fan says:

Thump the Trump at your own peril. So many examples of Donald somehow throwing these disses back. Funny tho it was my hearing about this piling on by Macys that caused me to start following him.

• archer52 says:

Agreed. Not everything is Trump. But I did have a conservative, abet conspiracy liking, woman stop shopping there directly because of the slight.

And she liked Macy’s. She was lamenting that her “places to shop” were becoming limited because of her political bent.

As the college kids protest fictional slights at the behest of the commie leaders, the real protest is occurring with the silent majority. Which is why MSNBC sucks for viewers, people assume talking heads are lying and HRC, outside her core nutjob democrats, can’t get a free coffee from the rest of the voting public.

• bertdilbert says:

Macy’s announced closing 40 stores in early September. I have watched almost all of Trump’s speeches and did not ever see him mention it. Trump was off his game not to mention the announcement IMO in his line of punishments for detractors lol.

2. Dan Schwartz says:

WalMart, Target and Kohl’s are all eating Macy’s lunch: Middle-class people aren’t buying at mall anchor stores as much.

#ThanksBarackObama

• boutis says:

Shopping for all non-essentials is off. Disposable income is down due to the overall economy and enormous increase in cost in health insurance premiums, deductibles, and co-pays. The media never mentions that these costs are sucked out of disposable income. Any non-essential expense is shrinking with disposable income purchases such as movie ticket sales. If they don’t “need” it they are not “buying” it and they are buying cheaper versions of essentials also. Instead of a $1800 refrigerator more people are buying the $1200 less fancy one that is perfectly adequate. Economists know this but either won’t say it or the media won’t cover it.

3. mazziflol says:

I know they lost all my dollars this year. Macy’s was my one stop shop for holiday fragrances. Not this time.
    #ColdAnger
    #Trump2016

4. BigMamaTEA says:

Actually, at that time I cut up my Macy’s card. DH said at the time “Well….there goes their sales numbers!” {LOL!}

5. lovely says:

“If you want to kick the tiger in his ass you’d better have a plan for dealing with his teeth”
    Tom Clancy

Live and learn Macy’s.

6. videoviewer says:

We stopped shopping there. Guess they miss us after all. Got to figure out who there base actually is before they cater to people’s whims

7. Rick says:

So today Trump emails his supporters. Reminds us of November….giving thanks to our great Vets.
    Everyone here probably got this today but I enclose it only to show how much more class Donald Trump has compared to Barack Obama.

For those who didn’t see this email below, enjoy!

P.S. We cut up our Macy’s card Day 1 of their non-support for Trump.

NOVEMBER 11 2015 –

Dear Rick,

November is a great month for Americans. In New York City, we get to look out on Central Park and see the leaves change as we move from the beauty of Fall to a magnificent city cloaked in the chill and briskness of Winter. What we Americans often gloss over is that November is a time for celebrating the very reason we enjoy the freedom, opportunity and prosperity found nowhere else in the world. The reason we are able to live like we do is due to the courage, dedication and sacrifice of those who serve in the armed forces of the United States and to those who have given the last full measure.

This November we should pay particular attention to the world situation. All over the world, young men and women who have volunteered to serve this nation are standing watch to protect us from the evil that is focused on taking away all that we value. We have turmoil in the Middle East, unrest in Europe, aggressive expansion in the Pacific Rim and stateless terrorism that threatens every aspect of freedom all across the globe. At no time in history have things been so precarious. Yet, we are able to find the best among us to step forward and take on the traditions and values of generations past, humbly putting on the uniform of this nation. They do so to support and defend the Constitution, not the President, the Congress or even the flag. They swear to defend an idea and an ideal. As is so subtly stated in the Preamble of our Founding Document, they take on the task “to secure Liberty for ourselves and our posterity.”

On November 10th, the Marine Corps celebrated its 240th birthday. The Marines were, are and will remain unique in the world, a force that is first to fight and last to come home. The Marines have maintained the highest standards and “once a Marine, always a Marine,” captures the sense of duty and honor that permeates every pore of those who have worn the Eagle, Globe and Anchor.

Today, we honor all veterans who are and have served in the armed forces. This day has special meaning to so many. Over the years, I have hired thousands of veteransand have found them to be among the very best. They bring no attention to themselves except in their extraordinary professionalism and dedication to whatever they choose to do. Quietly, humbly, and without fanfare, they go about their daily lives being great citizens, good moms and dads, and loving, devoted companions. Bearing up under the terrible damage of war, so many carry on with dignity and grace. We should be so proud of them and we should honor them every day.November is also the month we celebrate the Military Family. Too many of us have never had to be away from family and friends on holidays, birthdays and anniversaries. We have never been asked to risk life and limb in places we cannot even find on a map. We go about our daily lives enjoying freedom, most of the time without ever thinking about what it is like to have a loved one in harm’s way. The sacrifice and strength of military families, those who also serve, is so important to morale and welfare of those so far from home.

I have lived a full life and have benefited more than most from the opportunities found in this country. I have a loving, healthy family and I am running for President — only in America. To be where I am, I thank God every day for those who stand on the ramparts of liberty with courage, strength, humility and dignity. So, this November, let’s celebrate our veterans and their families and keep them in our prayers. Because of these dedicated Americans, we will be able to Make America Great Again!

Donald J. Trump

• NJF says:

Thank you for posting. I’m on their mailing list but didn’t really pay attention to my emails today.

Thank you to all the vets that visit this great site, God bless! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

As for other candidates, I got to enjoy another prerecord es plea for $$ from Dr. Ben…. Grrr

Shouldn’t these calls have an opt out option? I thought it was a law?

• Arron C says:

Trump isn’t that eloquent based on his stumping and debate performance so he didn’t wrote this, but I am sure as hell the sentiment is accurate.

• tappin52 says:

Someone can write in an elegant manner even though he may not be comfortable speaking in that same fashion.

• Eskie Mom says:

Betcha he did. I can just about hear him saying that. He may have had some input/ editing from Melania and/ or his kids vis-a-vis ‘what do you think?’, but this exudes TRUMP. That last paragraph is why he’s running for president. He has said as much.

That was excellent. Thank you for posting it, Rick.

• Beenthere says:

Editing English from Melania? The ex-model with the thick Eastern European accent? I don’t think so. The guy’s a billionaire; he can buy the soul of any liberal English PhD to write & edit for him & like it. (BTW those PhD types come cheap. Seriously!)

• Trump has many faces.. they say he is totally different off the campaign..He is must more refined and kind.. I am sure he tells someone what he wants his letter to say and then they put it together.. He does not personally write those letters, but I can bet you it has in it what is in his heart, because he reviews it before it ever goes out.

• amjean says:

Why is this even a topic? Do we have to dissect every
          little thing Trump does? “Trump wrote it;Trump did not.”

No offense, but this nitpicking drives me crazy.

• IntoTheFray says:

Highly agree amjean!
            If it is official and comes out in his name, Trump owns it, which means he read and approved it. Most executives don’t write their own memos, letters, etc. That’s why they hire “Executive Assistance” and I will bet that Trumps EA is a professional in every sense of the word!

• notamemberofanyorganizedpolicital says:

Touche! Me too.

There is room for “faith” even in politics………….

• Notmeagain says:

Hard to say–I think his speech on the trail is what he calls his “down and dirty” way of talking, not dirty as in profane or obscene, but oversimplified and repetitive to hammer in simple points. I have seen vids of him speaking more gracefully. And if you’re writing, you have lots of time to polish things up after feedback. I often wish he’d do a little more graceful speaking. That’s what impresses people about Cruz.

• Luck is not all says:

I heard him talking in a serious manner mainly about business. He is at the level of the best. He speaks easy English publicly because he is using laughter, popular expressions “to converse ” with his public. I feel, when he talks that I am seating at his table having breakfast with him. I love his “would you believe it?” So New Yorker. Conveys action, energy, deals, shake of hands. I love his style. I am tired of the perfect academic speach which means nothing or directly lies like Cruz, Rubio, Fiorina, etc.

• wondering999 says:

Agree. I’ve enjoyed every class I’ve ever taken, and will take many more if I live long enough — but there is a certain “academic” way of speaking that sets off my BS detectors. Very comfortable when I hear Trumptalk. Non-condescending in a very appealing way

• BigMamaTEA says:

I’ve watch live feed many of his speeches, but I’ve been in person for two. Both times, no matter where I sat, or how large the crowd was, you felt like he was just having a conversation with you….and he feeds off the energy of the crowds too. But there is not braggadocios (is that a word (?) at all.

• TheTorch says:

Arron you underestimate Mr. Trump. Rallies and stumping speeches require a completely different approach, one of the reasons he is doing so well in the primary polling.

As for debates, one of the reasons he wins the online polls so easily and also some of the after polling, is because he communicates effectively with his audience, keeps things short and sweet and not rambling on like most of them do.

Or to put it another way, you will rarely remember a thing the other candidates said, but you will remember what he said or something he did during the debate and that is all that matters.

• Luck is not all says:

I thought of posting it too but figured will be here already. It is a beautiful letter. If I were not a Trump fun already he would have converted me with that letter. I mailed it to a lot of my anti Trump family and friends. This letter and the las video of the girls about the last debate. It is hilarious.

• auscitizenmom says:

I think I got mine yesterday. It is so beautifully written. I wondered if he actually wrote it himself?

8. California Trumpeter says:

I stopped shopping there after they did that.

9. Sandra says:

I also stopped shopping at Macy’s when they dumped Trump’s products. I did go there one night though because I was in need of a Wüsthof knife but discovered that my Macy’s no longer carries Wüsthof, so I left and ordered one online from another merchant. And so my boycott is intact. 🙂

10. i will not shop at Macy’s since the owner turned coward over Trump wanting to protect US from illegal criminals who pack our streets, prisons and jails.

• wondering999 says:

Criminals who have in many cases murdered innocent Mexican people also, criminals who extort, beat, threaten and intimidate if they can get away with it — then come across the US border unvetted, mixed in among hardworking respectable people both in the U.S. and in Mexico.

I’m tired of the issues being twisted and misrepresented. There are many Mexicans I deeply respect. Then there are the murderers and gangsters crossing at will. Maybe the media can’t distinguish between them, but I do

• The point Trump brought up was not murder of innocent people in general. So it was not specifically about “crime.” It was specifically about illegal foreigners in our country committing crimes against Americans. Trump is a compassionate man and of course compassionate people do not support murder of any innocent person. But the issue was not murder in general, it was illegals committing murders in our country. It is one of LAW.

We are not against Mexican people and surely Trump is not against Mexican people. But Mexico is a foreign country and they have laws against illegal entry and we have laws against illegal entry, and they should be respected.

The only twisting of this issue going on is in the media and politically motivated activists for pro amnesty.

11. Paul Killinger says:

Stupid is as stupid does. If Donald gets elected, those ties will be worth a small fortune! (Heck, probably are already!)

12. hocuspocus13 says:

✂💳 MACYs

13. nyetneetot says:

I haven’t shopped at Macy’s since… well ever, actually. We never had Macy’s in Seattle (until they bought The Bon Marché about 10 years ago).

• tempo150101 says:

Actually, The Bon Marché (Federated Department Stores) bought out Macy’s (Macy’s was in bankruptcy) and took the Macy’s name.

• Kay Elle says:

First of all, glad to know I’m not the only Western Washingtonian here! I don’t live in Seattle, but we are in (Martin Luther) King County and well surrounded by the deep blue sea of leftie politics. My roots, however, are in the red state of Idaho – where I used to shop at the Bon in Boise. I stopped going there years ago when they put up the Macy’s red star logo. Can’t say I was surprised by their stupid knee-jerk reaction against Trump and if that’s a factor in their reversal of fortune, I’d call it karma.

• stella says:

I felt the same about Marshall Field’s in Chicago.

• nyetneetot says:

It will always be (VP William Rufus) King County to me.

• Kay Elle says:

😉 Yeah, another piece of actual history down the Memory Hole

• wondering999 says:

Piqued my curiosity there:
            VEEPS
            King’s inclusion on this list stems not from scandal or blatant incompetence, but from the fact that the poor guy was only vice president for six weeks before he died of tuberculosis. A foppish dresser who wore powdered wigs long after they were fashionable, King carved out a distinguished career in the Senate, where he represented Alabama following its admission to the Union in 1819. The nation’s only bachelor vice president, King lived with James Buchanan, the nation’s only bachelor president, for more than a decade (they were nicknamed the “Siamese Twins.”) Elected vice president in 1852, King departed for Cuba the following year in the hopes that the climate might ease his rapidly deteriorating health. Sworn into office on March 24, 1853 near Havana — he remains the only vice president to assume office outside the United States — King returned to his Alabama plantation on April 17 and died the next day. The office remained vacant until 1857. — Gilbert Cruz

• tempo150101 says:

If it makes any difference to you, the only thing that really changed was the name. Macy’s didn’t acquire The Bon, it was The Bon (Federated) that acquired Macy’s.

14. New Vulgarian says:

I used to shop at Macy’s all the time. It was my first stop at our mall. But when they chose illegal aliens over law abiding Americans by their total dissing of Trump, I cut up my credit card and sent it to them. Haven’t spent one penny there since. Nor will I. Ever. In fact, I may write them again just to tell them I’m still not shopping there. Never hurts to remind them!

15. Donna Czerniak says:

Boycotting Macy’s. Maybe you could hire some illegals to run the place until Trump gets on board. Macy’s made a YUGE mistake to dump Trump!

• CoffeeBreak says:

Donna, based on my own personal observations, it appears they’d already partnered up with one or more Hispanic advocacy groups. I first noticed this around 2007.

There were three Latino females chattering in Spanish working one register. One was training the other two. My husband and I asked if this register was open and we got a nod but no service for several more minutes. The trainer asked if we spoke Spanish and we said no (we are multi-lingual but that’s -a- not her business and -b- a red flag that some trash talk is forthcoming). Long story short, their demeanor and conversation reflected that of superiority and that customers and the corporation was subservient to their agenda/desires.

Afterwards, we limited our shopping at any Macy’s to deeply discounted items. I haven’t been a Macy’s fan for years because it seemed to attract riff raff that were obviously living beyond their means (gangbangers, cholitas, baby mamas) but my husband is a clothes horse, big league.

When this latest brouhaha came about regarding Mr. Trump, so far, I’ve been able to get my husband to shop elsewhere. We do not agree ideologically so who knows how long that will last. I think he does it just to keep the peace at home.

• annieoakley says:

Same thing happened to me at an ACE hardware store the air superiority was remarkable and I haven’t been back.

• wondering999 says:

needed some help here. Just in case anyone else is still learning —
        Definition of CHOLITA</b
        “pretty much a tough girl.Usually a female version of a vato. They draw their eyebrows on and wear chuck taylors and carry a glock.
        que pasa cholita?
        Whats up girl?
        I am Peruvian, and i use the word Cholo, Chola, Cholita on a daily basis…
        It has a very wide realm of definitions and feelings behind it. The tone and context can change from something positive to derogatory. Sometimes it has to do with ethnicity (being a mestizo), other times with bad taste and lack of education.
        I had not been fully aware of the meaning it has in Mexico and the US.. although, after reading many of the posts, I guess it does not lie so much far away.
        Mira ese cholo de mierda! – Cholo full of shit
        Yo te adoro, mi cholita! ( i love you so.. my dear and gorgeous cholita/ mestizo girl ) – lyrics on many many peruvian, bolivian songs..
        Mi cholito/a lindo! (obviously means my dear and beautiful indigenous-spaniard human being)
        Ese cholo asqueroso ( that disgusting son of a bitch who doesn’t even know what race he is)
        Que cholo! ( that also depends on the tone you use.. .but usually, it will be referring to something done with terrible taste)
        a female version of a cholo…”

16. Millwright says:

“Macy’s’ has never been “shopping target” for me, so I ‘m confused by all the hoopla ! OTOH I’ve long been “PO’D” by the marketing/stocking schemes of these “big outlets” ! Why – in the dead of winter – don’t they stock seasonally- appropriate clothing ?

17. shirley49 says:

Just because the majority happens to be silent and do not destroy property and scream and yell obscenities does not mean we are brain dead. We are also tired of being taken for granted. These politicians and companies do not realize how angry we are over this immigration invasion. hope they get what they deserve.

18. Annette says:

And don’t forget Starbucks!

19. I used to enjoy shopping at Macy’s – there are certain lines of clothing exclusive to them that I really like. That being said, I have cancelled my account and unsubscribed to their e-mails and messages. I’m glad to see that they are suffering the consequences of their PC behavior. I think there are many, many people who were turned off by their stance on Trump. Let the illegals support their stores and drive their sales numbers. They will quickly see where that gets them and how their numbers fare.

• tempo150101 says:

Macy’s has three problems: 1) They got rid of all the local store names; 2) It’s like a slightly nicer JCPenney; and 2) The stuff they sell is crap. Back in the old days, Lazarus used to sell mostly moderate clothing, but they would sell a lot of high-end stuff there too. Now I walk in there and all I see is Macy’s-branded crap along with some overpriced middle-brow brands like Tommy Hilfiger and Polo. Macy’s sucks.

• amjean says:

Actually, I had an opportunity to go to Penney’s recently
        and think their store is nicer and merchandise better
        than Macy’s. I live in a town approximately an hour west
        of Chicago. Macy’s bought out Marshall Fields which was
        a wonderful store. There was nothing like Marshall
        Fields on State Street in Chicago; celebrating Christmas
        by taking children to lunch under the beautiful Christmas
        tree in the Walnut Room. Macy’s replaced much
        of the quality merchandise and brand names with house
        brands which have little quality. There was a huge dustup
        when they decided to make Marshall Field’s signature
        Frango candy in Mexico.

At any rate, my family and I now shop at Von Maur or
        Nordstroms. We only shopped at Macy’s to purchase
        items one could purchase anywhere when the store
        was physically closer and therefore more convenient.
        We would pop in, purchase the product, and leave.

After the incident with Trump, we have not stepped
        foot in that store.

• zephyrbreeze says:

It was a long family tradition for my grandmother to take me to the tea room at Marshall Field. In fact, my grandmother worked at Marshall Field in the 1920’s in the hosiery department. She said Mr. Field’s son would walk the floor and talk to the salesgirls about their departments. My grandmother was always an elegant dresser, her whole life, sewing wonderful outfits, and I credit her time at Marshall Fields for inspiring her style.

• tempo150101 says:

I actually like JCPenney myself. My point was that they act like they’re up a notch or two from Penney’s but in reality the difference isn’t that great.

• notamemberofanyorganizedpolicital says:

In a business history book I read that “Macy’s” was where the maid’s of the wealthy New Yorkers shopped…..just saying that is what I read……

• notamemberofanyorganizedpolicital says:

tempo150101, that is my impression…..from years back….that Macy’s merchandise was over-priced, tasteless, garbage…….

Where I live there is a close-out retail chain. The housewares, dishes, etc. where always the ugliest, most clumsily designed things you ever saw……… Then I discovered they were from “Macy’s.”

“Miss Macy ain’t gonna come back this time!”

20. Arkindole says:

Hit CoC harder. Then hit them again. Then continue until they stop. This is just a partial list of offenders previously posted.
    Your discretionary SPENDING is the only way to stop them. You probably won’t vote your way out of the CoC and globalists.

• Notmeagain says:

Boycotting is fine, but how can one avoid UPS, US Steel, a lot of these–they are everywhere. Probably every tech company in the world has a piece of Texas Instrument equipment for instance.

• RINOKiller says:

The parent CoC has made me reconsider in joining the local chambet

• Rosies Seeing Red says:

This list is too far reaching to really make any headway as far as boycotting goes (in my opinion). It’s unrealistic to cut the products or services from that many companies from your life.

What we have to do is to stay the course with Trump in changing the narrative and the culture. We have to make supporting amnesty — making excuses and special privileges for LAWBREAKERS — extremely unpopular.

Trump had the guts to say what everyone was thinking. We’re talking about it now. And polls are showing the majority of Americans — even people on the left — think US Citizens should come before everyone else, and that it is absolutely OK to be defending our borders and our sovereign nation.

The invasion of Europe is helping to this end too.

We don’t need to boycott these companies. We just need to turn the tables on “PC” and make it extremely politically incorrect to support amnesty.

• tempo150101 says:

even people on the left — think US Citizens should come before everyone else

I don’t get why there ever needed to be any question about this. America is a nation of immigrants (my extended family is practically all immigrant), but America gets to set the terms of who gets in and who doesn’t. Not a bunch of people who ignore our laws and hop a fence.

21. This is really funny because I cut my card and made my wife cut hers and closed the accounts. Admittedly we did not shop there often, my wife bought clarin’s products, she found a new source.

22. juniornatural says:

macy’s is at the kings plaza mall in brooklyn, where the dindu nuffin crowd has rioted through the mall on a number of occasions.
    more and more of the mall stores are catering to that sort of crowd
    we avoid the plaza as much as we can

23. Mentalist says:

Has anyone been in Macy’s recently? Well I have (to get a hat for the cold weather), and I can tell you that the quality of the merchandise has decreased and merchandise is just piled on racks and on tables – like you would find in some bargain basement outlet or store. Also the return policy is less liberal than previously. I’ve noticed this over the past decade and I think the major reason Macy’s sales have dropped. This coupled with increased online commerce at sites with more liberal exchange/return policies. I usually get what I want at other stores (i.e. Nordstroms) or online.

• boutis says:

We went into a store recently because Macy’s carried something no one else did (bed sheets of some kind?). While browsing a woman started screaming in Spanish. She was having a complete meltdown and fighting with her significant other. The sales ladies were trying to get her to tone it down and she got LOUDER! Shoppers were racing for the doors to get out. So their Hispanic outreach is working really well.

24. tempo150101 says:

Lazarus had eight or nine stores in the Columbus area along with Lancaster, Newark and Zanesville. As Macy’s all of those stores closed and they are now only at Eastland, Easton, Tuttle and Polaris (and Eastland is on it’s way out). In Indianapolis, only three stores remain. In Dayton, only two stores remain. What does that tell you about how much people love Macy’s? Lundgren should be fired. The idea of a Donald Trump line of clothing was tacky, though.

• tempo150101 says:

^^ As Macy’s MOST of those stores closed

• amjean says:

You can be assured that PRIOR to announcing his
      run, Trump’s ties were of high quality and sold very well.

• realitycheck6 says:

• keebler AC says:

You keep reposting re-treads at every opportunity, that old photo must be your only weapon, lol. You do notice that it is 100% silk from the Orient which produces some of the best world class silk. Until the US can do better like their manufacturer of TVs, Trump is not going to put his name on garbage even if it is made by unions. You tried to call him a clown too and laugh that he didn’t own a business empire – and you are still pushing your tired discredited memes. As I recall, Warren Buffet, the hedge fund hegemonist whose power over the little guy’s nest egg is going to be drastically reduced by Trump and Icahn, was your hero.

• your tour guide says:

All of the mess started with Robert Campineau’s leveraged buyout of Federated back in the 80s. I don’t know if I spelled his name right, but he was a corporate raider out of Canada.
      If you were in Ohio prior to the 80s, you could tell what metro area you were in by the Federated Department store name. In Dayton, you shopped at Rike’s. In Cincinnati, you shopped at Shillito’s. In Columbus, you shopped at Lazarus. Each was handled fairly independent, and the merchandise was top dollar. You couldn’t charge merchandise at
      Shillito’s on your Rike’s card for years.
      At the lower end they had Gold Circle, which was called Richway here in Atlanta.
      Rich’s was the Atlanta Federated Store, Davison’s was the other.
      Then the leveraged buy out. Names combined , then disappeared. Gold Circle, which
      did parking lot parking business in Dayton closed down. Then more consolidations,
      until Federated’s left with Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s. Leveraged Buy Outs suck,
      as does regionalization of retail. Almost any metro area you can name had their own
      department store back in the 70s and prior. Now almost all gone. Thanks, wall street.

• your tour guide says:

Correction: that’s parking lot PACKING business.

• tempo150101 says:

This is what these numbers guys don’t understand. Gold Circle (for its time and day) used to out-Target Target. And the stores were packed in all of their markets. They even loved Gold Circle in New York. But the numbers guys looked at the 100% markup you get on clothing and compared it to the 30% markup you get in discount retail and got rid of Gold Circle without thinking about the future.

And you are right. Lazarus, Shillito’s, Rike’s and the rest of the Federated stores carried top-notch goods (for their time and day). Those stores had a lot of class. Macy’s is a dump — I don’t think I’ve ever bought anything there before. When my wife shops, it’s either Von Maur, Nordstrom, JCPenney or Marshalls/TJ Maxx!

25. mikayla825 says:

The only reason I head into Macy’s these days is to use their restroom. I feed my purse addiction elsewhere these days. 😉

26. pageoturner says:

I am pleased to say I am one of the reasons Macy’s sales are down. They day Macy’s announced it was dropping Trump was the same day I went out to buy furniture for our new house. My first stop WOULD have been Macy’s since they furnished my living room and I had an account with them.

Instead, Rooms to Go and Badcock Furniture got the $3,500 in purchases.

I wasn’t even a confirmed Trump supporter at that time – I just hated the way Macy’s caved to left wing extremists instead of thinking about their loyal US customers.

Hope this shows other companies that left wing extremists generate short lived heat but not long term sales.

27. pageoturner says:

I am pleased to say I am one of the reasons Macy’s sales are down. The day Macy’s announced it was dropping Trump was the same day I went out to buy furniture for our new house. My first stop WOULD have been Macy’s since they furnished my living room and I had an account with them.

Instead, Rooms to Go and Badcock Furniture got the $3,500 in purchases.

28. RINOKiller says:

The Trump Effect was the trigger

29. Josie says:

I saw this on the news yesterday and smiled. Thanks for posting this more detailed update to satisfy my smile. I’m very pleased to read the comments as well. Go Vulgarians of the Wolverine clan! We can do it. We are doing it. We can keep doing it. Love this story so much.

30. Josie says:

I guess marketing their sales to illegal immigrants didn’t work. I guess the purchasing power from illegal immigrants might be less than assumed. Lol. Maybe they should open a branch on the Mizzou campus. Might find some like minded folks there to buy their overpriced items. I think I will learn to sew.

• auscitizenmom says:

Something similar happened to Kmart in my town just north of San Diego back about 35 years ago. Their sales were dropping and the merchandise was getting cheesier. So, instead of improving it, they decided to cater to the illegals coming in. In the children’s department, most of the little dresses were the kind of over-ruffled cheap looking things that you would find in Mexico. The people who actually had money quit shopping there and they ended up closing.

31. jojo says:

Don’t tick off the Vulgarians or Trumpite Trash as George Will so eloquently calls us.

32. weavinplain says:

While I don’t doubt for a minute that the reaction to their Trump policy has had an impact on Macy’s, It might be more a PR issue than actual numbers.

I don’t believe there are enough of us to dent a quarterly report of $6 billion in sales. But it is obvious if you read their statement and customer reactions as given above, that there are serious management issues at the parent company. Sloppy merchandising will kill a department store faster than anything.

But what fractures me, having spent time in retail advertising, is the placing of blame on ‘lower spending by tourists’. I never knew until this minute that department stores were tourist attractions. High end specialty and flagship stores on Fifth Ave., maybe. But at some scruffy mall on the edge of town?

The Trump organization is well out of this mess.

• RINOKiller says:

It has been building with Macy’s, but the Trump thing was the trigger point

• tempo150101 says:

Back in the old days, a downtown department store was a low level tourist attraction. They all had their own special mystique of being elegant. Of course, the reality was that they were all pretty much the same, but it was still fun to check out a Marshall Field’s, or a Jordan Marsh or a Kaufmann’s or a Pogue’s. Now they’re all mall stores that look the same and they all have one name: Macy’s. Maybe Herald Square is still an attraction and maybe State Street in Chicago. I doubt anybody else thinks Macy’s is special.

33. MTeresa says:

I used to really enjoy shopping at Macy’s but when they dropped Mr. Trump’s ties and came out with their statement, it really turned me off. I emailed them to let them know I wasn’t going to patronize their stores anymore and I haven’t set foot in a Macy’s since. Toss the Sunday flyer as well before even taking a look through their ads. What’s the point?

Too many other stores I would rather do business with.

34. fred says:

i remember the Christmas windows on Union Square but by now I’m sure there is no Christmas there any more… So watch them sink and make Starbucks and Chipotle and whole foods next… Hipster radical leftys have no money with their Bernie and his socialism. They all live at home so put the double whammy on Starbucks… Let the special intersest support them and the universities…

35. Doodahdaze says:

Breakimg! Macy’s hires Trump tp play Christmas Music on his Laser Harp to boost sales!

Trump playing Here Comes Santa Clause

36. Doodahdaze says:

Black Friday at Macy’s

37. charlie21751 says:

I believe that Macy’s revenue drain is in part due to their anti-Trump declaration. The same thing happened to a client of Rush Limbaugh’ s , who decided to leave Rush’ s show as a sponsor, over Sandra Fluke. Months later, the president of the company said he made a huge mistake by dissing Rush, since his company’s profits dropped 60%.

38. snaggletooths says:

boycotts do work.

• Kay Elle says:

Except when the progs announce boycotts of places like Chick Fil A and Hobby Lobby and conservatives come out in droves 🙂

• auscitizenmom says:

Yes, I decided to go to Chick Fil A for the first time when I heard about the boycott. Great place to eat!

• wondering999 says:

I still don’t care for ChikFilA dishes that much. (Then again I’m turning into a picky eater who’d prefer oatmeal and apples and peanut butter)

What I LOVE about ChikFilA, though, is their competent, civic-minded management! I encouraged a young teen relative to go work at CFA for his first job. The kid is delighted, encouraged, and working as many shifts as he can get from the educational & competent managers. (That means a lot to me because my first job as a teen was difficult. I began with a small business run by two raging irrational alcoholics who didn’t communicate well. Yikes. Disheartening for a kid).

Love ChikFilA and will eat there if I’m hungry, whether I actually like the chicken or not…Those are some good solid people who take care of their communities

• auscitizenmom says:

Truthfully, I haven’t actually gotten past the grilled market salad. I open my mouth to say anything else and “grilled market salad” comes out. I just love it. And, it seems to love me. Okay, okay, I have also had the ice cream, which to me, tastes just like the homemade we used to make.

39. Wasillaguy says:

The Thanksgiving Day Parade is Macy’s biggest advertising event of the year. An effort to encourage boycotting the parade would be fantastic. I’d love to turn on the TV just long enough to see no crowds lining the route.

• joshua says:

maybe if the BLM and the Million College Student crowd all infiltrated the Parade and made a terrible mess of it, then maybe Macy’s would get their just deserts. couple with a couple of terror threats from the kids or the BLM bunch, there would be NO crowd.

40. formercanuck says:

Shopping at Macy’s is so ‘old school’.
    I went to purchase a DeLonghi espresso maker. I shopped around for a specific model.
    The EXACT same model at Macy’s was nearly $100 more than Sears, Frys and many other retailers. Why would anyone purchase from Macy’s – old brick and mortar that’s over priced. I expect that there is a certain market in the higher end middle class

41. Sioux says:

When I read about Macy’s stupid move about Trump, I cut up my Macy’s card and mailed it back to them with my reason why. Will I ever shop at Macy’s again? Probably, but not happily or often.

42. JoeS says:

The unfortunate aspect of this is that I think I read somewhere that Macy’s based their decision on an astro-turfing campaign. Rush Limbaugh may have talked about it too as he discussed that his advertisers being dropped was a similar campaign.

They buckled to pressure that did not even exist.

After seeing the Trump crowds and noticing that in the early days, Trump talked about issues like this early on, I would think they did lose significant sales from dissing Trump. It may not account for all of the revenue lost, but I would guess it is a hefty part of it.

43. joshua says:

I cut my Macy’s card up after years, and sent it to the Exec offices with a note that they could put it where the sun does not shine.

44. I no longer shop at Macy’s .. there support of anything and everything UnAmerican, plus they are exactly what Trump is talking about. The quality isn’t there anymore, as it is nothing but crap from China. In our town, Macy’s was previously the Bon Marche .. and a high quality store. Under Macy’s they remind me of an upscale Walmart.

45. keebler AC says:

Hmmm……no similar hot weather and low tourist troubles at J.C. Penney!

Macy’s closed 13.99 percent lower after briefly falling more than 15 percent, for its worst day since 2008. As of Wednesday’s close, the stock is down more than 35 percent year-to-date.

The retailer cut full-year sales and profit forecasts, and posted a surprise drop in quarterly same-store sales as customers reduced spending and the strong dollar pressured revenue from tourists.

In contrast, J.C. Penney said it is “pleased” with its third-quarter results and said comparable same-store sales rose 6.4 percent, which topped FactSet expectations of 5.7 percent. JC Penney also announced the settlement of a false advertising class action lawsuit ahead of its earnings report, due Friday.

46. QuiteContrary says:

I’m glad they’ve seen a drop in sales. I’m boycotting them for their treatment of Trump. I called their corporate offices to complain when they announced they would no longer sell Trump’s line. I don’t know when I’ll go back to Macy’s, but it won’t be anytime soon. Maybe if Trump wins I’ll go back after he’s inaugurated. Yo, Donald, we have your back!

47. frangelica1 says:

I am so happy that Macy’s is seeing the financial impact (where it matters) of their actions against Donald Trump. I have not and will not give them any of my hard earned money!

48. daughnworks247 says:

The very DAY it happened, I counted 14 Macy’s boxes on my side porch (ready for garbage man). I was a terrific Macy’s customer. I wrote them a letter and vowed never to return. Just like JC Penny, I will not come back.
    I also own a business. I do not force my political beliefs on my customers NOR do I only do business with half the population which agrees with me politically. It’s a bad business model.