This has the potential to be a HUGE case of corporate espionage.  The ramifications within the sports world are quite significant; the punishment, if the allegations are proven, will set the tone for all sports franchises moving forward.

st-louis-cardinals-2WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. and Justice Department prosecutors are investigating whether front-office officials for the St. Louis Cardinals, one of the most successful teams in baseball over the past two decades, hacked into internal networks of a rival team to steal closely guarded information about player personnel.

Investigators have uncovered evidence that Cardinals officials broke into a network of the Houston Astros that housed special databases the team had built, according to law enforcement officials. Internal discussions about trades, proprietary statistics and scouting reports were compromised, the officials said.

The officials did not say which employees were the focus of the investigation or whether the team’s highest-ranking officials were aware of the hacking or authorized it. The investigation is being led by the F.B.I.’s Houston field office and has progressed to the point that subpoenas have been served on the Cardinals and Major League Baseball for electronic correspondence.

The attack would represent the first known case of corporate espionage in which a professional sports team hacked the network of another team. Illegal intrusions into companies’ networks have become commonplace, but they are generally conducted by hackers operating in foreign countries, like Russia and China, who steal large tranches of data or trade secrets for military equipment and electronics.

Major League Baseball “has been aware of and has fully cooperated with the federal investigation into the illegal breach of the Astros’ baseball operations database,” a spokesman for baseball’s commissioner, Rob Manfred, said in a written statement. (read more)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Baseball Scandal – FBI Investigating St. Louis Cardinals Hacking of Houston Astros…

1. czarowniczy says:

Well, I can see that this is a far greater concern to the security of America and its citizens than the endless Chinese and Russian hacking of our financial, medical, personal personnel and the Government’s OWN SECURITY CLEARANCE RECORDS. Onward, castigate those reckless sports rebels who dare to play kiddie games with each other’s records, they’re easier to bust than those Chinese and Russian hackers who surf our IT systems with impunity. Even might be able to score a few freebie tickets to MLB games if they work it right…

• Jimilee says:

I prefer a government that has the ability to multi-task. Lord knows with all the federal employees and a large bankroll, we should be able to investigate any possibility of criminal actions.

I for one would never say “whatever” to a possible crime.

For clarification purposes, I love baseball.

• czarowniczy says:

I prefer a government that can prioritize. To me, especially with the limited resources the FBI whines about having, it would seem to me that putting all of my experts on securing things like…oh, let’s just say for example…the entire roster of government personnel and their security clearances (outside of the Big Five), something the Chinese could use to compromise and target much of our R&D and intel capabilities, would be more important than who’s peeking into who’s gym lockers
        It’s triage, we say ‘whatever’ to certain severe injuries when casualties outnumber resources – right now a virtual state of almost-war exists between the three countries and guaranteeing a profitable, exciting and equal MLB season just don’t make the cut to me. I love baseball too but I like being able to sleep with both eyes closed even more.

• Jimilee says:

Triage?

Got it.

What crimes in your neighborhood are you willing to overlook?

Rhetorical question, if you are willing to overlook this possible crime, I would prefer you don’t answer.

• czarowniczy says:

Happens all of the time. You call the 911 line because there’s a trespasser on your property – but there are other 911 calls from ‘shots fired’ to assault in progress to dog bite. There are not unlimited police officers in your area so the cops in the cars have to make a SWAG and triage the calls. Wasn’t unusual on a bad night to have three or more calls tacked onto the dashboard, response sorted by perceived level of need. In just about all areas the ‘needs’ exceeds the ‘resources’ in all areas, from police response to pot holes, all bad guys know that.
            The two government options are basically to increase taxes to fund more resources or to triage/prioritize reactions based on importance and available resources.
            The FBI, which can dictate the response of other LEA and intel agencies to these types of crimes gets to make the call. If there are not the resources, for whatever reasons, to manage such a serious crime as the OPM breach (and it IS a VERY serious breach of national security) than I’d prefer the resources be devoted to that rather than something as petty and actually non-threatening to the national interests as two big-boys’ clubs playing locker room games.

• mikayla825 says:

I find it wildly ironic that anyone is lecturing Czar regarding law enforcement. 😀

2. booger71 says:

The Astros have zero players or records worth stealing.

3. Will says:

Why? This has the stink of the deflation hoax all over it. The Shakedown’s Racket has pro sports in it’s sights. Remember when they were (probably still) after the NCAA to unionize, give Sterling’s team to Oprah? They’ve got operatives everywhere.

4. TheLastDemocrat says:

If you have to hack the Astros to beat them, things are pretty bad.

And, wouldn’t it be easier just to hack the scoreboard itself?

5. Cyber says:

As a Cubs fan, ha!

• Jimilee says:

The fact that the current POTUS is from Chicago, could possibly be a factor in this I must admit.

• BitterC says:

I second that!

• jello333 says:

As a lifelong Cards fan, I agree! I’ve followed this team since 1969, though thick and thin, but since December of 2011 I’m having trouble feeling ANYTHING for them (other than for a tiny handful of their players). Their total lack of respect or loyalty for one of the greatest players to ever live just disgusted me beyond anything I could have imagined. And it’s only gotten worse since. I suppose if I HAD to say I was a fan of any team, it would still be the Cardinals… but the thrill is most definitely gone.

Oh, and concerning this particular story/allegation…. no, not the least bit surprised. The mindset of the St Louis Cardinals (and about 90% of their fans) has been, at least for the past 15 years or so, “We are the best, most knowledgeable, more perfect team and fans on earth, and if you don’t agree you’re just stupid!” So yeah… they’ll do just about ANYTHING to keep that perception going.

• Jimilee says:

Well stated.

I spent my early youth watching the Cards, AA team in Tulsa. The highlight of my youth was Keith Hernandez signing my glove when he was a Driller.

• Col.(R) Ken says:

Jello!!! Would that player be Stan “The Man”? I’m a very long suffering Pirates fan, lately I’m mildly surprised how they have played. This should be interesting.

• jello333 says:

😉 Musial was The Man… Albert was The Mang!

And yeah, I have no problems with the pirates, though back in the “We Are Family” days they irked me a bit! 😉 But before that, I got to see Clemente play in person the year before he died… SO thankful for that.

• Jimilee says:

Wow!

Seeing Clemente play would have been high on my bucket list.

My biggest thrill was watching Nolan Ryan get the win with 11 strikeouts back in the day with the Rangers.

6. BitterC says:

Is it any different/worse than guy w binoculars in Wrigley scoreboard stealing catcher signals? 🙂

7. TwoLaine says:

My first tho’t was serves them right for the BLM B.S., but that was their football team.
    My how time flies when you’re having fun!

8. Dirk The Impailer says:

I know the Astros are having a decent season this year. But, historically, they have been consistently one of the worst teams in baseball. Why would anyone pick them to hack??? There is something very weird about this story!!!

9. pam says:

New York Times plus justice department = something fishy, is it a distraction from a ton of Chinese hacking and a myriad of scandals that keep popping into view… the masses take sports far more seriously, my guess is it’s nuttin, but served it’s purpose to drown out the common sense perspective and keep our heads spinnin in the fetid whirlpool of lies