… and now a ballistics match between the Cyclist and the Motorist. This is one of those stories seemingly missed by the national media as the course of time clouds the dot connections.
Back on April 24th the New York Post wrote an article about four incidents where motorists windows were shot out in a similar area in Colorado. The New York Post article was prompted by the shooting of a driver on I-25, Cori Romero (25):
[…] Mystery shootings in northern Colorado have prompted concern that a serial attacker may be targeting highway drivers, police said.
The worst incident occurred late Wednesday on Interstate 25 when a female driver was shot through the neck in Larimer County, authorities said.
“I’m on the highway right now and somebody just hit me and I’m bleeding from the neck and I’m scared,” the unidentified woman told a 911 dispatcher, according to ABC News.
In all, there have four incidents in three days on or near I-25, a main north-south highway in Colorado. (link)
However, the incidents continued.
Since the New York Post article there have now been nine suspicious events with motorist windows shattering on/around the I-25 corridor in Colorado over the past month.
This is in addition to the April 22nd shooting where Ms. Romero was shot in the neck while driving on I-25. Fortunately, she survived her injuries.
Then, on May 18th, a man was randomly shot twice and killed while riding his bicycle on Country Road 15, just south of County road 72, in the same vicinity. Read here, for more information on bicycle accidents.
Police have now confirmed a link between the two shootings. According to 7News in Denver the link is a ballistics match. The FBI is now investigating the death of the cyclist, and has offered a $10,000 reward.
However, the police are reluctant to give more information.
“They appear to be random (shootings),” Windsor Police Chief John Michaels said. However, he wouldn’t say if he believes a “sniper” is on the loose.
A local news report is available HERE.
Local Media have this timeline summary at the bottom of their report. Yet, the local police are reluctant to say if they have a sniper at large?
- May 19: FBI joins investigation after cyclist shot & killed
- May 18: Bicyclist shot twice and killed in Windsor
- May 14: 22 complaints of shattered windows in April
- May 11: Driver hurt by shattered window; Police blame road debris
- May 1: Larimer County increases patrols
- April 30: 3 more drivers report windows shattering
- April 29: Woman shot in neck talks for first time
- April 28: 5th case of shattered window in a week in Weld & Larimer counties
- April 24: Cori Romero, shot on I-25, don’t know where shots came from
- April 23: Driver shot in neck on I-25; Shooting linked to busted windows?
- April 23: Woman shot in neck manages to pull over