The food is delicious comrade citizen, don’t you agree. Those stories and accompanying pictures of horrible school lunches do not actually exist. All of the delivered state nutrition is joyful, splendid and inspiring comrade.  Smiles everyone, smiles.

Hunger_Games_Michelle_Lunch

WASHINGTON DC – The U.S. Department of Agriculture is pushing back against a campaign criticizing First Lady Michelle Obama’s school lunch rules by showing one picture of a somewhat appetizing child’s lunch.

“They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and in the digital age we have ample opportunity to document and broadcast every moment, meeting and meal,” wrote Deborah Kane, the national director of the USDA Farm to School Program, in a blog post Thursday. “We have all seen those unappetizing photos of food served at school that quickly go viral. A lonesome whole wheat bun atop a sad fish fillet; a mysterious-looking meat mixture served next to an apple. It’s natural to ask, ‘Is this what they serve for lunch!?’ No, it’s really not.”

school lunch - michelle obama

The blog post, entitled “Photo Worthy Meals,” shows one image of a school lunch served in a New Orleans charter school. The photo stands in contrast to images of meager portions and unappetizing selections shared with the hashtag #ThanksMichelleObama, a Twitter campaign started by students against the healthy eating law. (read more)

school lunch 1

LunchTweet (1)

school lunch 3

CT  SCHOOL-LUNCH-2C_MAIN 0411 KM

This entry was posted in Big Stupid Government, Dem Hypocrisy, Education, FLOTUS, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

92 Responses to USDA Launching Program To Defend Michelle Obama From Criticism Over Horrible School Lunches…

1. Chip Bennett says:

“Comrades!” he cried. “You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs are doing this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege? Many of us actually dislike milk and apples. I dislike them myself. Our sole object in taking these things is to preserve our health. Milk and apples (this has been proved by Science, comrades) contain substances absolutely necessary to the well-being of a pig. We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organisation of this farm depend on us. Day and night we are watching over your welfare. It is for YOUR sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples. Do you know what would happen if we pigs failed in our duty? Jones would come back! Yes, Jones would come back! Surely, comrades,” cried Squealer almost pleadingly, skipping from side to side and whisking his tail, “surely there is no one among you who wants to see Jones come back?”

Now if there was one thing that the animals were completely certain of, it was that they did not want Jones back. When it was put to them in this light, they had no more to say. The importance of keeping the pigs in good health was all too obvious. So it was agreed without further argument that the milk and the windfall apples (and also the main crop of apples when they ripened) should be reserved for the pigs alone.

2. smiley says:

The Hidden Hand behind school lunches.
    its The Rise of the Anti-Crust !
    gay cake for everyone!

3. joshua says:

simple solution to the real facts….show pictures of the school cafeteria trash cans with the thrown away food in them…….massive waste…..unedible food. kids sneaking in snack food instead of eating lunch.

4. At the beginning of the school year I took many pictures of elementary school-aged (K-4) children sitting in the lunchroom with full trays of completely unappetizing food. Most of them ate next to nothing and some nothing at all. One by one, child by child, they got in line to dump their full trays into the trash cans. It was pitiful. I could post those pictures all day.

Here’s the picture I missed, but it is forever burned into my memory:

A little boy who looked to be about 7 went through the lunch line. We were already seated with our son, having brought lunch in for the three of us. As the little boy got to the end of the lunch line, looking down at his tray, he burst into tears. His little shoulders were shaking and his head was hanging down (probably in an embarrassed attempt to hide the tears) as he fell in line and followed his class to their assigned table. That may have been the only meal that child would have that day. It broke my heart and it breaks my heart every time I remember. The food is THAT bad. It truly is.

• And to make matters worse, it’s just not enough food. Those meals are tiny.

In typical government fashion, some do-gooder who knows nothing decided to assume everyone is obese and needs to be treated accordingly.

Because it’s for their own good, you know.

5. auscitizenmom says:

And, the unelected creature who decreed that food is that bad, yes, she is.

6. partyzantski says:

There is an important, yet perhaps undiscussed aspect of this centralized, so-called “nutrition”. Understand that cults use caloric and palatability control to wear down the unfortunate caught in their web. By limiting food intake, it is much easier to get compliance and create altered mental states where all sorts of subversion can be implanted. Looks like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_Reform_and_the_Psychology_of_Totalism is on my summer reading list.

I quote directly from http://www.workingpsychology.com/cultdef.html
    “Cults will often restrict the diet and sleep of members, possibly in an effort to hamper normal, rational thought processing. In addition, the vegetarian diets commonly required by cult leaders allow the cults to feed members cheaply”.

I recall in 2nd grade having far more to eat in a school sourced lunch. Those trays have that many sections for a reason. The Mooch “lunches” look awful and unappetizing. It would be interesting to show them compared to prison food and what is on the Sidwell friends menu.

• Josh says:

“Understand that cults use caloric and palatability control to wear down the unfortunate caught in their web. By limiting food intake, it is much easier to get compliance and create altered mental states where all sorts of subversion can be implanted.”

THIS ^^^ is what I’ve always thought it’s really about.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

OMG you are right, party

• partyzantski says:

TLD, I’d much rather be wrong, or just a cat in an orange space suit. But yes, this really seems to be the drill.

Just wait for some form of national “rationing”. Oh, Mr. Smith, here is your 500g of pink ooze for the month… but, I have 4 children! This will play out badly.

Consider this… #AMERICAN HOLOMADOR for a hashtag campaign. No idea how to do that, but the idearings straight and true.

• Monroe says:

partzantski-
      That sounds nuts and so tinfoil hat.
      Sadly it is very likely true.

Just like I never thought I would ever utter the words that the communists are funding/organizing some of the FTP/BLM protests. But it’s true.

Sob….

• ytz4mee says:

“Cults will often restrict the diet and sleep of members, possibly in an effort to hamper normal, rational thought processing.”

Sounds like Marine Corps boot camp.

• Yes, but currently Marines choose it and are taught skills/thinking that will save them or their brothers.
        An interesting thing on Fox News yesterday that thinking “what if” situations build new pathways in the brain. This was in regarding the “Mansion Murders” — “what if someone kicks in my door” while I’m in each different room or while my dog is outside, etc. The point is to make it through the brain faster and transform into automatic action.

• backwoodsgirl123 says:

I’d have to say that I totally agree. IF you can control the food, you control everything else as well.

• backwoodsgirl123 says:

Thanks for the link to the working psychology website. That site is cool!

I don’t recognize ‘mind control’ and influence from a formal education. I recognize it from personal experience and observation and I am constantly trying to get people to think, think, think. Now, I understand ‘why’ they would prefer not to even if it is to their own detriment.

7. wondering999 says:

When this topic came up weeks ago, someone suggested that the same people who provide prison food should be in charge of providing school food. Why not?

• Josh says:

Better yet, those that mandate what food should be eaten by others, should have to eat the same stuff themselves.

• Kitty Smith says:

Prison food isn’t all that bad. The reason for that is that wardens don’t want riots and lawsuits occurring as protests over poor food. Little kids don’t know how to riot and sue. They just withdraw and go hungry. It’s up to their parents to complain – the same parents who are sucking off the system by being too cheap and too lazy to pack their kids a healthy, appetizing lunch in the first place. They can put the feds out of the school lunch business altogether if they took responsibility for properly feeding their children, their own flesh and blood, themselves.

• lorac says:

I think it’s not just about submissiveness – kids who are hungry will find it hard to pay attention and learn. A further way to dumb down the populace.

8. syrakelly says:

Can someone please tell me how I can get some info to SD-Thank you!

9. czarowniczy says:

No fair – if a charter school in New Orleans served one of those East Coast disaster meals the parents and even school staff would be out on the lawn with pitchforks and torches. A number of local chefs have partnered with the charters and these charters also serve as feeders for the many food service schools in the area. I’d give the props to the chefs, cooks and teachers who’ve personally taken a deep and abiding interest in the quality of the food in the city’s schools, not You Know Who.

• Jett Black says:

Exactly! And it’s not like NOLA schools are generally wealthy, with grand, flush lunch budgets. They do quality on a shoe string by caring and using resources with some common sense. DC could learn something.

I, however, grew up elsewhere and in my experience (1960s-mid 70s) public school lunches were pretty horrible–much more like the ugly pix than the pretty ones. I lived on a milk and a roll per day, and snacks or sandwiches from home the entire time. Thankfully, I had decent food at home. They wouldn’t even let us buy extra milk most of the time–1/2 pint was all you got. That was in a small city in the south, where the food should’ve been good. Oddly, integration didn’t improve things.

I think the real story is that if schools can’t provide decent meals, they should make it clear from the outset that they’re not providing any at all–it’s the family’s responsibility, anyway. That would also provide another opportunity to “cut the cord” from the feds, since they’d then be giving up nothing by turning down fed funding for meals.

10. The irritating thing about the school lunch policies:

I can pack a lunch for my child, but the school can dictate what I put in that lunch. In my area, school policies prohibit children from bringing certain foods to school, just in case another student might have an allergic reaction to something in that lunch. (Think peanuts here).

MY reaction? Tough nuts.

If YOUR child has a food allergy, it is YOUR responsibility to make him/her aware of it, and to teach him/her to not eat anything that can trigger an allergic reaction. It’s not MY responsibility to deny my child the foods he/she likes.

11. Pamtoo says:

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a neighbor lady when my kids were young. I was complaining about the cost of feeding a preteen boy and girl (even though we butchered our own chickens/hogs/beef) with them drinking a gallon of milk every couple of days, etc… This 75 year old woman looked me dead in the eye and said. “Food’s cheaper than medicine.”. I never complained about the cost of food for my kids again.

12. Josh says:

The last picture with the blue trays – the food is slopped right on to the tray! There looks to be nothing between the food and the tray! Diseases anyone?

13. guilty73 says:

I live in a small, conservative town. And yet…1st grade: please don’t send any more cupcakes for your child’s birthday; new district policy. 2nd grade: my child’s school started offering breakfast for free, and the officials were confused and saddened when I asked what time he should arrive if he eats breakfast at home instead. 3rd grade: all the schools in town now offer free breakfast, and the school blatantly does away with competition. I am shocked at the final awards assembly when EVERY student receives an award. Awards given for good grades and attendance, but also “good fashion sense”, “being a friend”, “having a nice smile”, “being a leader at helping” and so on. 4th grade: we homeschool, and eat whatever the heck we want for lunch! And I brainwash my child with conservative talk radio on the side.

14. meanwhile….this is what sasha and malia obama had for lunch today :

May 19, 2015
    Chilled Cucumber & Mint Soup
    California Chef’s Salad
    Cheese Tortellini
    Pesto Cream Sauce
    Garden Fresh Marinara Sauce
    Steamed Broccoli
    Garlic Bread Sticks
    Sliced Pineapple

• Chip Bennett says:

Yep: milk and apples are reserved for the pigs. It’s Science! And some animals are more equal than others.

• auscitizenmom says:

And, it was PIGS that were in charge, just like now.

• exactly.

michelle o’s PUBLIC SCHOOL lunches SUCK
          sasha and malias PRIVATE SCHOOL lunches are not only prepared by gourmet chefs but are good tasting, filling and nutritious

couple those with obama’s remarks from just last week — “Those who are doing better and better, more skilled, more educated, – luckier – having greater advantages are withdrawing from the commons. Kids start going to PRIVATE SCHOOLS, kids start working out at private clubs instead of the public parks, an anti-government ideology then disinvests from those common goods and those things that draw us together.”

just point those 2 little gems out that prove in no uncertain terms the total hypocrisy of his “remarks” to any liberal and see if you can count to “two mississippi” before they call you a racist

• lorac says:

He thinks we’re all stupid. Remember he recently said that he never interjects himself into local criminal matters? (never mind ProfessorGate, If I Had a Son, Michael Brown…)

• Lucille says:

If you can stand it, read his entire comments at http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4537392/potus-remarks-poverty-media – Catholic-Evangelical Leadership Summit on Overcoming Poverty at Georgetown University in Washington, President Obama remarks

This is more of the portion you referenced: “Now, part of what’s happened is that — and this is where Arthur and I would probably have some disagreements. We don’t dispute that the free market is the greatest producer of wealth in history — it has lifted billions of people out of poverty. We believe in property rights, rule of law, so forth. But there has always been trends in the market in which concentrations of wealth can lead to some being left behind. And what’s happened in our economy is that those who are doing better and better — more skilled, more educated, luckier, having greater advantages are withdrawing from sort of the commons — kids start going to private schools; kids start working out at private clubs instead of the public parks. An anti-government ideology then disinvests from those common goods and those things that draw us together. And that, in part, contributes to the fact that there’s less opportunity for our kids, all of our kids.”

Say what? Obama loves the free market??! Just more distribute-the-wealth blather Joe the Plumber brought to our attention when we still had an opportunity to rid ourselves of this phony-baloney big-time plastic banana, as Rush would say. Distribute your own money, you little fascist!

That the “scholars” at Georgetown lapped this all up rather than calling him out shows how far that school has fallen.

15. beaujest says:

This “Load” should eat what she preaches

16. mpmp2015 says:

School lunch was never appetizing, but filling, however now, not only is it not appetizing, you get smaller portions. Thanks Michelle….didn’t think school lunch could be made worst, but you proved us wrong.

17. Stephen says:

Oliver Twist to Mr. Bumble: “Please, sir, I want some more.”

Evidently, even workhouse gruel beats the slop served up in modern-day America’s unconstitutional federalized schools/indoctrination centers.

18. TheLastDemocrat says:

Overall, I am surprised that this group of conservatives here at CTH even cares.
    I took my lunch to school every day k-12. Well, except those days I skipped class.
    In elementary school, I learned to make my own sandwich and compose my sack lunch.
    And my parents were liberals.

• Josh says:

Why are you surprised? It has been proven time and time and time again that it is Conservatives that care.

• Josh says:

Getting past your little stab – most parents (of all colors, shapes, sizes, genders, etc) care about their children. Studies have been done that show these same parents do not like the lunches that have been mandated by those currently in political office.

19. lepanto says:

I really do not understand why public schools are in the restaurant business to begin with.

How hard is it to go to the grocery store, buy a loaf of bread, some cold cuts, a bottle of ketchup, a jar of jam, and some brown paper bags? Maybe get a bag of apples and a box of ginger snaps, too.
    For a few dollars, or for one swipe of an EBT, your whole family can have lunches that are inexpensive, nutritious, and tasty. It worked for me.

• joshua says:

Unions run the food services since Moochelle’s little foray into public school meals.

• ytz4mee says:

I had one child that would ONLY eat, peanut butter and jam on whole wheat bread with an apple, for lunch. EVERY DAY. No exceptions. This went on for almost a year. (So did the fascination with wearing rubber boots every day, rain or not, but I digress.) Somehow, he survived. He was healthy enough to be offered an athletic scholarship to college too.

20. Will Davis says:

I went to school in the 40’s and 50’s. Some of the school lunches weren’t exactly gourmet fare but at least there was plenty of it. I actually looked forward to the mac and cheese.

21. partyzantski says:

This is the end goal:

The unchecked concentration of power in these school boards and other bodies will ratchet up the authoritarianism. A stunning example of this tendency is http://www.prisonexp.org/

God help America.

22. Jane Doe says:

Most of the lunches go to the pig farms.

23. Monroe says:

Smaller and crappier lunches means someone higher up in the food chain is pocketing the money.

24. labrat says:

I’m parking this here, seems to fit the theme. So glad my son is graduating HS next week and I am done.

• auscitizenmom says:

Ah, but if her little darling had had a better tan he could have gotten away with theft, rape, assualt, possessing an illegal gun, and maybe even murder.

• lorac says:

This was definitely overkill – 3 unexcused for a good student, and the treatment of the mom. But on the other side of the coin, I have heard many people suggesting that the parents of wayward kids (not this mom) need to face punishment for their kids’ behavior, in order to get them to start actually parenting.

25. jello333 says:

How can you have any pudding….

26. joshua says:

What ever happened to that HIGHLY PUBLICIZED Garden at the White House that the Mooch was supposedly raising vegetables at so she could show off her expertise and commitment to good food? Was that just another Obama BS deal like all the other Axelrod/Jarrett BS?

27. Jim says:

Why don’t students bring their lunch from home?

• Josh says:

Even those are monitored by The Authorities.

I’d have little pockets sewn into my children’s clothing with bite-sized Snickers and other fun treats.

28. shirley49 says:

When I see her, her kids and Barry eating this sh** maybe I will be satisfied that the lunches are good.