Rand Paul and Ted Cruz – Is it Stupidity, Naiveté or Selfishness?…

If you look at this picture taken during the 2013 non-shutdown government shutdown, you might think Utah Senator Mike Lee and Texas Senator Ted Cruz are two conservatives of a similar mindset – each willing to support the other.

Ted Cruz and Mike Lee lg

However, if you forward the time machine a few months later you’ll find another optic.

This time it’s early 2014 and Senator Rand Paul and Senator Ted Cruz are discussing the pre-mid-term State of the Union with a rather alarming message.  Neither one of them was going to offer support to any non incumbent GOP challenger in primary races.

Both Rand Paul and Ted Cruz saying they were not going to support the same ideological political base that brought them into office.

Rand Paul said: “I will stay out of any race that involves an incumbent“. Looking toward Paul, Ted Cruz responded: “I’ll likely do the same“. (link)

Rand Paul and Ted Cruz were supported by the Tea Party, and when no-one would give each of them a shot at victory it was the Tea Party and grassroots conservative movement which boosted them both to victory.

Back in January of 2014 their statement of unwillingness to support any GOP challenger struck me as rather, well, selfish and self-centered. After all, were it not for the efforts of their own supporters to unseat incumbents, neither of them would have made it to the Senate.  Yet in 2014 they were unwilling to do the same for like-minded patriots like Matt Bevin (KY) in GOP Primary races.

Now it might sound like I’m pouring salt on an old wound than needs to heal.  But there’s something more important going on here.  Something that no-one is paying attention to.

The Establishment GOP, those same people who Rand Paul and Ted Cruz chose to stand beside in 2014, are now trying to take down Mike Lee in Utah.

[…]  Sen. Mike Lee might face a tough race for the GOP nomination in 2016 from Josh Romney (link)

Yeah, go figure.

Mike Lee 1The Decepticon ESTABLISHMENT GOP leveraged their political power to threaten Rand Paul and Ted Cruz who ultimately sat on the sidelines as the grassroots, us pesky bitter clingers, fought tooth and nail against the Decepticon Establishment.

Now that same professional political class wants to elect Josh Romney as the next Senator from Utah.

The GOP wants to take down Mike Lee and replace him with Josh Romney.

It’s annoying in the extreme to see this unfold.  However, it’s beyond infuriating to see the establishment wade into a 2016 primary race, to defeat a principled conservative, knowing they demanded no challengers to their establishment 2014 candidates – with Rand Paul and Ted Cruz going along with it.

So which is it?

Are Rand Paul and Ted Cruz: a.) Stupid, b.) Naive, or c.) Self interested jerks?

You decide.

This entry was posted in Decepticons, Election 2016, media bias, Notorious Liars, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Rand Paul and Ted Cruz – Is it Stupidity, Naiveté or Selfishness?…

1. canadacan says:

Let’s not be naive .
    They are self-interested and politics is a blood sport.
    These are professional politicians.
    If you’re looking for Sir Thomas Moore he doesn’t exist at this point.
    I still choose Ted Cruz for a multitude of reasons which I’ve already stated.
    Now what can we do to help Mr Lee because he is a great man and I don’t want Josh Romney.

yes this messes up there making and somebody needs to help there buddy likely

• canadacan says:

Phone trouble .
      Yes this mess is partly of their making.
      I want Mike Lee as Senator.I will watch with interest to see how Cruz helps him.

• BigMamaTEA says:

The biggest problem Mike Lee has in Utah is ORIN HATCH! Hatch lied to get re-elected, and just like John McCain, has talked about “his people at home helping to clean out that conservative/teaparty bunch from their state Republican parties: This stems from Orin Hatch being best buds with the guy Mike Lee beat out, Bob Bennett. Bennett has been busy since he lost in 2010. He’s been a lobbyist, and attempted to create as much havoc as possible, {BooHoo}

Maybe that has stopped this calendar year. I heard (rumor) that he was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer this year. I don’t wish that on anyone; but sour-grapes will come out eventually somehow.

2. Aslan's Girl says:

I’m hoping it’s a fourth option: play nice with the gopE for NOW and then get revenge when they are safely in office? They think that the only way to get to the WH is using the E, but afterwards they will clean house? I just can’t think that a stand-up guy like Cruz doesn’t know the Truth about the E. Cruz is so brilliant and connected to the grassroots, I’m sure he knows. He thinks he cannot fight both the Dems/MSM AND the E at the same time? Hope, hope, hope.

• canadacan says:

I would concur with this

• BigMamaTEA says:

I promise you, Cruz, Paul, and Lee all KNOW about the “e.”

It’s time for the “old bulls” to bow out gracefully, or get their butts beat next time! Some have had to work harder in their last re-elections than they have in years, and are retiring. (Of course alot of those have scandals brewing behind the scenes they might get stung from too. But, for whatever reason, go a-w-a-y!

This is the only profession that I have seen where they think they’re supposed to die in office, even if it means being pushed into the chamber by wheelchair with drool hanging (and other things) to have an aide vote. Congress right now has amazing retirement benefits too. Guess their just into the power now.

• justfactsplz says:

I think Cruz is smart enough to know he can’t win with tea party votes only. Before he can help this country he needs to win. So sad it comes down to this yet again.

3. Aslan's Girl says:

If Cruz and Rand cannot help Lee NOW while they are in “play nice” mode, maybe they could appoint him to their admin when they are sitting in the WH?
    Hopefully Cruz is playing chess.

4. Murse says:

Cruz and Paul want to be President first and foremost. Like all politicians they will play along to get what they want. I do believe they are conservatives but they are politicians first. Even Reagan had to make some compromises that stood against conservative principles. Reagan didn’t shrink government, because at this point the only way to do that is via insolvency. The real power (behind the throne) resides on K Street and are masters to the GOP.

5. John Galt says:

They sold out: both support legal status, but not citizenship, for illegal aliens. That will eventually end like Obozo’s Iranian “deal”. Iran will get nuclear weapons and illegal aliens will become citizens.

6. BigMamaTEA says:

I have already planned to make phone calls from my dining room (command central ha!) for Senator Lee. Sen Lee will probably have FreedomWorks backing him. (Last year through F.W. I was able to dial across the country through a phone bank system to call for others)

BTW, Sen Mike Lee is a REAL Constitutional Lawyer!!!

7. zephyrbreeze says:

Utah is a very conservative state. People were not thrilled to have to vote for Massachussettes governor Romney, but held their nose and did it. Mike Lee’s father was well known and very well liked in Utah for decades. I can’t believe that this race will be close in anyway. Maybe the Democrats will come out to vote for Romney, just to spite Lee.

8. BigMamaTEA says:

Josh Romney needs to run in 2018 and oust Orin Hatch! Hatch is on his 7th term (6yrs each) in the Senate. It’s time for him to go home!

9. Ursula says:

Mike Lee is such a good man and patriot, I would hate to see him abandoned.
    Romney, Bush and Scranton are, were all establishment republicans.
    What can we do to help Mike Lee?

10. joshua says:

not anywhere ready to join a bash Ted Cruz here or anywhere….to early to be beating up the teaparty conservatives. Cruz is NOT stupid. Cannot say the same for the GOP Establishment team….and Jeb makes me want to throw up.

• justfactsplz says:

Go back again and read the comments on the Ted Cruz shoes. It wasn’t bashing Ted Cruz, quite the opposite. The back story is now posted there for you to read. I am a strong Cruz supporter also.

• sundance says:

There is nothing about this post that “bashes Cruz”. There are facts about what he has and/or has not done which, while they might be uncomfortable, are still facts that stand alone.

The GOP machine told Cruz to fall in line in ’14 and he did.
      That same GOP machine is trying to get rid of Mike Lee.
      Mike Lee has stood by Ted Cruz.

My point about the Cruz and R Paul decision (stupid, selfish etc) is essentially WILL THEY NOW STAND AND SUPPORT MIKE LEE regardless of the GOP?

11. BigMamaTEA says:

You can sign up at his campaign website, This will keep you informed. You can also donate from there. (Even my few little dollars add up over time) You can also volunteer – probably more for people in Utah. But I volunteered to make phone calls on his volunteer page. (they will have to figure out how to do that w/o phone charges to volunteers and will have to get phone lists from the R party.

12. BigMamaTEA says:

Oh, and Sd, Ted Cruz and Mike Lee , did campaign for some seats in 2014. They went to multiple states with Sara Palin with them sometimes. (ps. I was backstage with them in Oklahoma)

• justfactsplz says:

That is good to hear. I thought that Cruz had appeared with Palin some.

• bushwack says:

I bought Mike Lee’s new book at the urging of an email from tedcruz.org just this week. I have faith that Ted Cruz is in Lee’s corner.

• BigMamaTEA says:

I ordered it last night. We have got to get DC back to the Constitution. The Constitution is the document that binds the Federal Government. {that’s why they wish to ignore it}

13. yankeeintx says:

Rand Paul did endorse McConnell, Ted Cruz did not endorse Cornyn until after the primary. Ted Cruz also endorsed and praised Republican candidates here in Texas. I don’t think we can claim that Cruz will not support/endorse Mike Lee as the election cycle is just beginning.

14. doodahdaze says:

I like Lee. To run in the GOP primaries requires selling out. The Republican Party is just the Republican Party. It is their party. Not mine. I like the Republican better than the democrat but that is not saying much.

15. solomonpal says:

I refuse to vote if Bush is the nominee. I believe the distain for Bush is near universal from what I deduce. The GOP establishment makes me vomit. There should be enough pressure if everyone made a commitment for a vote recusal if Bush is the nominee then that may get their attention.

16. georgiafl says:

If Cruz and Paul do not stand with Mike Lee, and if, even by their silence, they support Josh Romney, Romney will very likely turn on and betray them when/if he is elected.

Josh would most likely be the same type Rockefeller, non-conservative, Fabian socialist, Bush-ite, establishment RINO like his father Mitt. He runs with the same high stakes, cut-throat business crowd that his father did.

17. Chip Bennett says:

Yet another reason to support Scott Walker for president.