Saturday Open Thread – February 28th

Tomb of the Unknown ChristmasOur Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL.

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

314 Responses to Saturday Open Thread – February 28th

1. Wow.

–snip–
    Google’s search engine currently uses the number of incoming links to a web page as a proxy for quality, determining where it appears in search results. So pages that many other sites link to are ranked higher. This system has brought us the search engine as we know it today, but the downside is that websites full of misinformation can rise up the rankings, if enough people link to them.

A Google research team is adapting that model to measure the trustworthiness of a page, rather than its reputation across the web. Instead of counting incoming links, the system – which is not yet live – counts the number of incorrect facts within a page. “A source that has few false facts is considered to be trustworthy,” says the team (arxiv.org/abs/1502.03519v1). The score they compute for each page is its Knowledge-Based Trust score.

The software works by tapping into the Knowledge Vault, the vast store of facts that Google has pulled off the internet. Facts the web unanimously agrees on are considered a reasonable proxy for truth. Web pages that contain contradictory information are bumped down the rankings.

–snip–

2. WeeWeed says:

Bar! Beer!!

photo d9815274-278c-440f-a8f0-8b60602b20cf.jpg

3. F.D.R. in Hell says:

This may have been posted already today, but the firelight is growing dim down here…
    and it’s worth a heads-up, Treeper Peepers. It’s a wee bit frightening.

4. doodahdaze says:

I have no money invested or 401k plan. But I think I should warn Treepers to get away fast because there is a lag between moving your investment in the plans. You are forced to ride the roller coaster down, while others can move on the quick. If it hits the fan those who can act on the quick will be spared. This is just a felling…spidey sense….I have. JMO and I have no skin in the game.

• hoosiergranny says:

Most of my 403B has been converted into a nice little farm with no mortgage. The house is livable but still needs a lot of work. The rest of the money can’t be taken out until I am no longer working for this employer. Hoping to have the house in town sold and start retirement by the end of the year. As long as my retirement & SS hold up, things will be good.

They’re just testing now so they can refine their plans I figure they are going to wait until closer to the 2016 elections to roll things out. We still need to be off balance or they can’t delay/cancel the election. Indy was one of the few large cities that didn’t have any rioting in the ’60s. Don’t think we’re going to be that lucky in the next 2 years. So I plan to be prepared.

5. doodahdaze says:

And Now, The Freedom Caucus. Yes we do make a diff. Keep clawing away people. Keep on clawing away. This is NYT!

6. doodahdaze says:

I support The Freedom Caucus!!

• texan59 says:

😯

• MaryfromMarin says:

I just sent that out on twitter. The pond ripples are starting to show up.

• 7delta says:

After I read that hours ago, you’d have thought I was in the pit one over from you, FDR. I don’t take dips in the fiery lake often, but this one turned me into a Olympic high diver. It’s taken a while for me to cool down and it’s not a done deal yet. It took three revisions of a letter to my Congressional reps to edit out the stuff probably best not sent. The state ones will hear from me tomorrow.

I read where Judicial Watch is investigating this Task Force. Good. It’ll only take two years to get any response from FOIA requests. In the meantime, the GOP’s got one shot at this. Stop it, expose it and get with it or there won’t be any need for them to bother running for office again. Whites and blacks need not apply. If the Repubs and the Dems, who will be replaced by the ‘other’ country too, don’t get over their self-imposed stupidity and acquire a good dose of self-preservation, that is preservation of the Rule of Law that protects everything and everybody important to them, things will not go well for them or for us.

This administration may have just made good on its promise to heal the racial divide. I hope so. It’s time we all stop playing the race game and sign onto Team America. Neither survives or goes down without the other. That goes for all Americans, regardless of race, gender, religion or creed. You’re American or you’re a serf.

I’m climbing the diving board again. I have to go stand out in the freezing rain.

7. F.D.R. in Hell says:

This is why I told that cute little 2-year-old National Anthem dude to watch his back…