Wife Leaves Husband Who Refused To Give Up Downs Syndrome Son…

In an era when all too often fathers abandon their children – it is heartwarming to read about a selfless father who is committed to love and care for his son despite the challenges a special needs child presents.

father and son downs syndrome(Via ABC News) After a new father refused to give up his newborn son, born with Down syndrome, the mother left both of them. Now the father needs a lot of help.

According to ABC News, Samuel Forrest of Armenia was waiting outside of his wife’s hospital room as she was giving birth when he first heard his newborn son’s cries.

“This pediatrician walks out of the room with a little bundle — that was Leo,” Forrest said. “She had his face covered up and hospital authorities wouldn’t let me see him or my wife. When the doctor came out, he said ‘there’s a real problem with your son.’

Forrest was told that Leo was diagnosed with Down syndrome. Despite initial shock, Forrest was not deterred from loving his son.

When Forrest walked back into his wife’s hospital room, Leo in his arms, his wife gave him an ultimatum: if he chose to keep the baby, she would divorce him.

Despite his wife’s warnings, Forrest decided he wanted to keep Leo. One week later, Leo’s mother filed for divorce.

Forrest says he plans to move back to his native New Zealand where he will receive loving support from family there.

Though this plan has one small hitch: Forrest is not that well off alone, and now he needs to provide for two. (read more)

This entry was posted in Christian Values, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

120 Responses to Wife Leaves Husband Who Refused To Give Up Downs Syndrome Son…

1. ZurichMike says:

I have an uncle who is mentally retarded. He is a member of the family. Period. The mentally handicapped have a special place in my prayers.

2. michellc says:

Just like I will never be able to understand how a mother can murder her unborn child, I will never be able to understand a mother who doesn’t love her baby if he/she is not perfect.

I’ve told before of the brother I had who was mentally retarded and how special he was. People do not understand the love they’re missing when it comes to these kids. They truly are God’s children.

I’m sorry for this man that his wife is a POS, but I promise he will be blessed more than he realizes.

• Kitty Smith says:

It does appear that the wife is a shallow, mean-spirited soul, but I’m not ready to hop onto the “Let’s hate on mom” bandwagon until and unless we know more about the nuances of this relationship and what sort of baggage this woman appears to have that would prevent her from accepting and bonding with her own flesh and blood.

Sometimes very intimate, private matters with factors and dynamics we may never know are better left out of the public discourse. Yes, sunlight is a good thing, but its illuminating power may be better left to shine on less private matters that do have a tangible impact on our lives. In fact, the story may just be none of our business and should never have been published by the media. These people don’t appear to be public officials who should be closely examined nor celebrities that seek any form of media attention, good or bad.

May God bless them all, bring them comfort and guide their souls in finding the right course.

• evolveideas says:

It isn’t the relationship, its the culture.

• Kitty Smith says:

We have no clue what was behind this woman’s decision and we don’t need to know. If it was an artifact of the culture, it’s unlikely the story would have made the news.

Perhaps Maury Povitch or Oprah or the ladies on The View can straighten it all out.

• michellc says:

What exactly could justify abandoning your child?

It was fairly common once in our country to abandon babies/children with mental disabilities. My brother was actually my half brother. His real father left my mother when he was born before they even knew he had disabilities after cursing her the entire time she was pregnant because he didn’t want children. He had a brother who was institutionalized at birth because he had downs syndrome. When my brother was a year old and it was obvious to everyone then he had something wrong with him when he still couldn’t sit alone much less crawl he came to her and told her the retard should be put where his brother was so nobody would have to look at him and he wouldn’t have to be embarrassed.
        She was a single mother to mentally disabled child during a time when divorced women were frowned upon in addition to having the father and paternal grandparents demanding she institutionalize the child and being very young still in her teens. She still didn’t abandon her child. The doctors didn’t even know what was wrong with him because the particular disease he had wasn’t discovered until years after he was born.
        He wasn’t properly diagnosed until he was almost 30 years old.

She eventually met and married my father who raised him as his own and they went on to have 7 children of their own losing one infant twin. All of us were blessed that we had a special brother.

So the only good thing I can say about this mother is that she allowed the child to have life. No amount of baggage in my life would cause me to abandon my child.

• Josh says:

michellc, your Father is a MAN among men and your Mother … what words to use for your Mom? Courageous, strong, wise, brave, wonderful, worthy … You are fortunate to have such parents. All children should be so blessed.

• joshua says:

explain why we taxpayers provide such extensive financial funding to Planned Parenthood than, and why this is not murdering American citizens who just have not yet made it across the vaginal fence into our world….we treat illegal aliens better.

• michellc says:

I cannot explain that to you and that is the only thing nice I can say about the woman is at least she didn’t kill the baby.

• Irish Eyes says:

It sounds to me like it wasn’t known before birth that there was a problem. Probably no pre-natal testing.

• Josh says:

But what if the “problem” was known before birth?

• Irish Eyes says:

From her attitude, I assume there wouldn’t have been a birth. Since she considers a handicapped child unacceptable, presumably she would have had an abortion. I’m not calling the baby a “problem.” What I’m saying is that it’s not through scruples that she didn’t kill the baby, but rather that she just didn’t know. That was God’s way of saving this child.

• taqiyyologist says:

There’s probably a “mod” I can get for my browser that enables me to click “like” a thousand times or more, but I ain’t into cheating, so you only get my one “like”.

God bless you continually, Michelle.

• Kitty Smith says:

I can’t think of any reason to abandon a child, and I wouldn’t do it. You’ve had your first-hand experiences, and that’s really all you know about it – YOUR personal perspective. That’s all any of us have, and we don’t know what all this person’s reasons and experiences are. I’m not going to speculate for the sake of argument, either.

Surely the media have more important things to report than the very private troubles of a family that has no influence or impact on our lives.

• michellc says:

To me it’s much the same as abortion, you don’t need life experiences to know it’s murder. I don’t need my personal life experience and it wasn’t mine but my mother’s. She had a lot of baggage with the child’s father, way more than I’ve disclosed here. She was a young girl. It was during a time when women didn’t get divorced and women didn’t raise children alone unless their husband died. It was also during a time that babies with disabilities were shipped off and forgotten. She still was able to make it work and cared for her child because that is what a Mother does. She sacrifices for her child.
            I’m not going to speculate on the woman, I’m going to form my opinion on what we know. She was married and pregnant and when her baby came out not perfect she didn’t want her child.

She is a horrible person and horrible mother who I hope never gives birth to another child. A good person wouldn’t want to abandon her child to an orphanage because it wasn’t the baby she expected.

• Josh says:

Sorry, Kitty Smith, I cannot relate to your comment in any way. I don’t care a rat’s patutty what “baggage” the woman may have – cry me a river, in fact. There is NO reason to EVER abandon or murder a child.

• stella says:

She was perfectly willing to carry a pregnancy and give birth BEFORE she knew that her son wasn’t perfect. She then was willing to abandon both her son and her husband. That’s all I need to know.

Perhaps the reporter who wrote this story was trying to help a man and child who need help. Did you think of that? I don’t give a rat’s rear end about this mother who had no business giving birth in the first place, and I hope she never has another child.

• Kitty Smith says:

We don’t know anything about this woman. The reporter obviously didn’t present the mother’s side and doesn’t want to. it’s a much more emotional and heart-wrenching story without her input. None of these people have been vetted for cause or truthfulness.

Haven’t we all been lied to by the media through their bias, half-truths and outright lies enough to read something about someone’s private life with a grain of skepticism yet?

Your sentiments about the mother, given that we have no information about her perspective, are drawn strictly from speculation manipulated by the story. You could be 100% right or 100% wrong. Either way would be a matter of pin the tail on the donkey.

Apparently it’s easier for some to muster ill will and bad wishes to another simply from conclusions drawn from speculation. We know this happens because we saw it happen to George Zimmerman and Darren Wilson. But the judge and jury have spoken about this unnamed woman….without a trial…again.

I didn’t expect to see that here. This site regularly and rightfully rips the media for telling half-truths, falsehoods, and their lack of incompleteness, journalistic integrity and through investigations. Yet here we are with very visceral reactions filled with ill wishes for someone without even a name or face presented. Amazing.

• stella says:

I don’t understand your stance, at all. This seems like a personal crusade on your part.

Is there a reason to doubt that the woman did not want to keep her child? Is it a lie that she gave her husband an ultimatum – divorce if he decided to keep the baby?

If those two things are true, there is reason to draw a conclusion. I really don’t care WHY she didn’t want her baby.

Do you know something we don’t know about this woman, or that the news report is incorrect? Do you have a reason to believe that the man is a creep, or a pedophile, or that he beat his wife?

We don’t normally question news reports unless there is a reason to do so.

• Kitty Smith says:

I don’t know anything about the relationship in this marriage. I think it’s terribly sad for anybody to abandon their child, no matter the reason. My issue with this story, and it’s not a crusade, is that the reporter only presented one side of the story. We simply don’t know what all went into her decision and I seriously doubt it’s as cut-and-dried as the reporter presented. That’s why I question the report. That’s separate from watching intelligent people take a side without fuller information and pass judgment without so much as knowing her name or seeing her face or hearing a word from her. I’m not defending her. I don’t know what her issues are at all. I’m just saying this is a very private matter, we don’t know the whole story at all, the story was clearly written from only one perspective and they’re asking for donations, and that’s why it was made a public story in the first place.

Hell, the whole thing could be a scam for all we know and she’s going to drop the divorce as soon as the well runs dry, assuming she actually filed. We’ve certainly seen it before. I’m not saying this is the case at all, but it’s possible. And the reason it’s possible is because the media can’t be trusted to do their job thoroughly, fairly, or accurately, as we all know. So I’m skeptical about personal stories involving an unseen, unheard of and not heard from person connected to requests for donations, and thus I believe there is reason to doubt the report. Hopefully that answers your questions. Further, I disagree with visceral, gut reaction condemnations about my fellow man under the circumstances of strictly private people making very intimate decisions. But perhaps I’m the only one who has ever been forced to make a decision that, if looked at superficially and one-sided, appears harsh or cold but was the best that could be done under the circumstances for the long term. this is not a perfect world. All we can do is ask for God’s guidance and continue to offer compassion to those besieged by painful circumstances in which they have to act.

• stella says:

Did it occur to you that the mother might have refused an interview?

• stella says:

Here are the quotes at the abcnews.com main story:

Attempts to reach the hospital for comment weren’t immediately successful. The baby’s mother, Ruzan Badalyan, told ABC News that she did have a child with Down syndrome and she has left her husband, who has the child, but she declined to elaborate. …. Despite his wife’s warnings, Forrest said he never had a doubt in his mind that he would hold onto his son.

One week after his birth, Leo’s mom filed for divorce.

“It’s not what I want,” Forrest said. “I didn’t even have a chance to speak with her in privately about it.”

• stella says:

By the way, when we questioned the cases of George Zimmerman and Darren Wilson, it was because the cases were researched, and the reporting found to be incomplete or incorrect. If this report is found to be either of those things, it will be reported by us.

• Kitty Smith says:

Good. That’s why I like this site. But the question occurs to me is what initiated the skepticism about those reports in the first place. Conflicting reports? How do you get a conflicting report in a case such as this? Does the mother need to hire a lawyer? Press agent? Does she now have to put her private business in the street to defend herself? Well, the dad already did that in his quest for donations, so it’s moot. It’s just not the same kind of issue that a police incident carries because the press continues to pursue those matters due to the public interest aspect of law enforcement. We don’t have that element in this private matter. Heh. The only legal issue I see here is a possible violation of the mother’s HIPPA rights by the media. 🙂

• stella says:

Maybe she didn’t want to be interviewed. Some have said here that what she wanted to do is commonplace in their country.

• stella says:

Re Trayvon Martin, I think (if I remember right) that Sundance said he smelled a rat, so he started to investigate. With Darren Wilson, I think there were conflicting reports right away.

• Kitty Smith says:

And fortunately none of those things occurred in Armenia where we have no way to verify anything. Did ABC even check records to verify that the mother filed for divorce? In your helpful post at 7:42, you show where the wife is paraphrased as stating she has left her husband. She doesn’t state she has divorced or is divorcing him, and she doesn’t state why she’s taken these steps. Obviously her comments were very brief; just enough to verify she was no longer with the dad.

The gofundme account is up to $432,000. That should be more than enough to get dad and Leo to NZ. 🙂 If I was in Putin’s path in Armenia, and had somewhere else to go, I’d bail out, too. Not to seem too cynical, but I will not be surprised if mom shows up at the airport with dad because they’ve reconciled, and they have a good laugh on the plane to Auckland, or she joins him there not long after. Of course, it could certainly be legitimate. We have no way to check.

It’s interesting that dad stated for the record that he didn’t even have a chance to speak privately to his wife about any of this. There’s also nothing stated about her leaving him on the gofundme page information. $432,000. Little Leo was born three weeks ago. $432,000, and they’re off to NZ.

Oh well, enough already. I hope it’s legit and they all work out their issues, assuming they have any.

• stella says:

You have an active imagination too, it seems, to imagine all of these things! ABC says they tried to get corroboration, contacting both the hospital and the wife. Since this is a domestic story, and not a murder case, I think that’s adequate, don’t you?

• lovelyd24 says:

Just because the mother may have some cognitive or emotional issues doesn’t make her actions any less reprehensible. She abandon her child because her child was not the perfect child she was hoping for. My best guess and going with the odds is that the mother has a problem of character and she didn’t want her life to be derailed by having to care for a child with Downs Syndrome.

In the long run the child will be more fortunate not to have his birth mother in his life, in the short run it is a terribly sad and difficult time for the father and baby, I just hope the mother doesn’t try to get at the money that has been donated to help raise the son she abandoned.

• 2+2 says:

I just hope the mother doesn’t try to get at the money that has been donated to help raise the son she abandoned*

Lovely, that’s a very good point. The first thing the father should do is make sure the mother legally gives up her parental rights so she has no claim on the child or any funds donated in his name.

• Kitty Smith says:

What we have is a photo of a man and a baby, an allegation to ABC News Good Morning America that the mother doesn’t want the child, an allegation that she filed for divorce a week after the child was born, so two weeks ago supposedly (where is his or a copy of the divorce filing?), a mother who will only ambiguously confirm she is not with her husband, and $432,000 in a gofundme account set up ten days ago for a child born three weeks ago.

• lovelyd24 says:

Yes but you left out one point, we have a mother who does not want her son because he has Down Syndrome, she does not want him to the point of giving the father an ultimatum, pitch the kid or I’m gone. The father did not disown his son so the mum is gone.

Now could it all be a scam? Sure.

Could there be extenuating circumstances that would make the mum look good? None that I can think of.

We can turn every situation into a “could be,” right now though, I am looking at the information as it is presented and as presented the mum is a callus, self centered, cold hearted ignoramus or at the very best a weak and self centered woman child.

• Kitty Smith says:

I agree with you 100%. It is possible all this is true. My point has simply been that the mainstream media is not reliable and thorough and the story may not be accurate and fair, or is true in part or is possibly a scam. I’m just less convinced than others that we should just take the whole ball of wax at face value and not question any of it, including mom’s alleged motives. I guess I’m just a tougher sell than others, but I wish the best for little Leo. He’s a beautiful child, The $460,000 now in the gofundme account will certainly be helpful in raising him in NZ.

Thanks for your post and have a good weekend. 🙂

3. Indiemex says:

You are the Lords beloved, sweet Leo. Blessings.

4. Aslan's Girl says:

I just read this and am in shock that a country like Armenia is this backwards. Thank God the Dad is from a country like New Zealand where they don’t throw special needs children to orphanages. I hope he is successful in teaching Armenians that Downs babies are wonderful, normal babies with special needs. And while he’s at it, I hope he teaches Western countries that Downs babies not only shouldn’t be abandoned at birth, but shouldn’t be aborted either.

• Menagerie says:

You used quite a bit of conductive reasonrng there to condemn a whole country based on the actions of one woman, and to assume all in New Zealand honor life.

• Josh says:

Yes, it’s not the country, it’s the individual. Those that came down on Sarah Palin do not represent The United States of America. People like Sarah Palin are a truer representative of The United States of America.

• No, it’s Armenia…”Forrest, who’s from Auckland, New Zealand, said he was completely unaware of the hospital practices in Armenia when it came to children.

“What happens when a baby like this is born here, they will tell you that you don’t have to keep them,” he said.”

• taqiyyologist says:

Anyone who reads lifenews.com knows that even the esteemed medical institutions of the West recommend death to “the malformed”.

All the time, unceasingly.

And those who read lifenews.com understand that most of those who go against the advice of the Experts end up blessed beyond secular belief.

• Aslan's Girl says:

Menagerie, it wasn’t “one woman”, it’s Armenian hospital practice to tell parents of children born with birth defects that they don’t have to keep the baby and they can abandon them at orphanages. It’s in the article.

• taqiyyologist says:

And it is the same in the USA, for the most part.

Except it’s not “you don’t have to keep the baby and can abandon them at orphanages”, it’s “you should probably abort.”

• taqiyyologist says:

“That’s you’re choice, ma’am. And that’s the choice you really ought to make.”

• Aslan's Girl says:

taq, which is why I ALSO said that I hope this dad tells Western countries that they shouldns’t abort Downs babies. But this isn’t about how the West would encourage abortion, this is about Armenia who encourages abandonment at birth as a practice. That was eye-opening.

5. shelbysparklepants says:

Proud to say, one of my countrymen. What a sad world we live in today and what wonderful luck this beautiful baby boy got a dad who will love him unconditionally.

6. texasranchqueen says:

All the love to this sweet baby, but my motherly instinct tells me something is very wrong here. It is usually the mother loving the child. Something is just not right here.

• Josh says:

“It is usually the mother loving the child.” Sounds like you’re buying what the media is selling. Usually it is both the mother AND the father that is loving their child. You are correct that something is not right – the woman who birthed this child does not share your motherly instinct. I am happy for you and yours and am sort-of hoping the woman is never able to give birth again.

• texasranchqueen says:

Josh, I did not mean to imply that fathers don’t love their child as much as the mother does. It was very late at night and I was extremely tired but could not sleep. When I was reading this article I had to read it twice because it just wasn’t sinking in how this woman could not want this precious baby because he was not perfect in her eyes. Obviously the father, thank the Lord, loves this child unconditionally. Sorry for the omission.

• stella says:

What about all of the “mothers” who abort their babies every year. What about their motherly instincts?

7. zephyrbreeze says:

$163,000 has been raised on his GoFundMe page. There is an additional note on the page:

Note about Armenia:

In this tiny, landlocked country renowned for its’ hospitality, scores of babies are abandoned each year, for reasons ranging from physical or intellectual disabilities and minor ‘imperfections’. This practice of abandoning children due to disabilities is unfortunately widespread throughout Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union, resulting from a culture which refused to accept human defects. Health professionals estimate that 98% of all Down Syndrome babies born in Armenia are abandoned, every year. These abandoned babies are often placed in squalid orphanages, where they live and die, rejected and forgotten by society.

Your support of Leo will also help draw healthy attention to this enormous problem – Armenia’s hidden shame – and help the push for change, education and acceptance – for Armenia’s forgotten babies.

• joanfoster says:

Maybe if Pope Francis can get off his socialist soapbox long enough to read this story, he might be able to enlighten the Armenians.

• Chip Bennett says:

The legacy of socialism, atheism, and all of their attendant evils.

• Josh says:

I fear the “practice of abandoning children due to disabilities” is widespread around the globe. It’s not talked about much.

The dirty, little secret is that we are ALL messed up to some degree. Every human being has “baggage”. There is no such thing as a perfect human being. Okay, okay, there was one exception 🙂

• michellc says:

That breaks my heart but once it was very common in our country and sadly now it’s very common that they murder the children before they’re given a chance at life.
      They’ve been pushing testing for years now so you’ll know early enough to abort the child if it has downs syndrome. They asked me with all of my kids and I told them I didn’t want the test, it would make no difference to me it would still be my child.
      I learned with my daughter they still do it except now they have even more variations of testing.
      It’s evil imho that makes people throw away babies and children because they aren’t perfect just as it’s evil to murder babies because they’re not perfect, not the right sex, or just because they’re an inconvenience to the mother.

8. justfactsplz says:

All babies are a gift from God. Downs syndrome babies grow to be very loving. God gives them this wonderful extra. May God help this dad as he raises Leo. May the mother never have another child.

9. rashomon says:

We have had the good fortune to watch two babies diagnosed with Down’s Syndrome grow into healthy, charming and productive young adults. They had their challenges but, then again, doesn’t everyone?

• Roy says:

I grew up with next door neighbors who had a son with Down’s syndrome. They were very loving and good people and worked very hard to give their boy the best life and experiences they could during a time when Down’s babies and their parents were socially stigmatized.

Hopefully this father will get back home with his boy and he’ll grow up only knowing love.

10. libby says:

Do not fret.
    When fathers are devoted to their children, the government is ready to ensure the father will be villified and the mother will be rewarded with custody. The dad can have the bill, zero rights to see his own kids and social stigma to boot.
    Beatdead dads.

• libby says:

The way to blindly support the matriarchy is to denigrate all men collectively for the sins of very few men (conservatives have been useful tools in eliminating the rights of men falsely accused by women).
      ” … studies … indicate the vast majority of divorced men meet their obligations — and that those who don’t often have good reasons. According to Roger Gay, an internationally recognized child-support expert based in Stockholm, the only meaningful child-support statistic is the percentage of support ordered by the courts that actually gets paid. In the U.S., he says, “fathers overall pay between 70% and 80% of what is due.” What’s more, the highly publicized garnishments, suspension of drivers’ licenses, revocation of passports and jail sentences have accomplished little. Despite the efforts of the 50,000 people employed by the U.S. child-support collection bureaucracy — which costs $4-billion a year — Mr. Gay says the percentage of child support paid hasn’t changed since the mid-’70s. “We’ve let too many years go by without admitting to the public that these measures have been a failure.”

“The difficulty in collecting the remaining 20% to 30% is due largely to the fact that the war against deadbeats is really a war against the poor — against men who have always been economically marginal or have been impoverished by the divorce process itself. According to the Institute on Poverty, half of non-paying fathers in Wisconsin earn less than $6,200 a year and only one in 10 earns more than $18,500 annually. Other research shows the unemployment rate is one of the most accurate predictors of child-support compliance. (Although even then, half the men who were out of work in one sample still managed to pay the full amount of support.)”

“At the same time that society is demanding divorced dads pay up, our courts, governments and social services fail to recognize the huge effect losing daily contact with one’s children has on men’s ability to earn a living. ‘No government and no court should be allowed to take a child from a parent unless there is a very, very, very good reason,’ says Dr. McBride. ‘Because to have a child ripped from you, it’s the same as a child dying. It’s absolutely uncivilized, barbaric and devastating for any parent. It’s not uncommon for these people to suffer depressive breakdowns.’ And while a large, expensive system exists to collect child support from divorced fathers, no parallel system helps ensure children’s and father’s rights to close and frequent contact.”

• ThankYou,Treepers says:

“No Fault” (really “No Reason Needed”) Divorce Laws are the devilish left’s great stealth victory in America.

As to child support, all the money in the world coming into the broken home of a child is totally inadequate to replace the loving presence of the ousted father. A poor loving dad at home is infinitely more beneficial to a child than any amount of money.

The Divorce Industry inflicts more devastation daily than the Black Grievance Industry has wrought in total in it’s sixty year history. A major way the left uses race to promote Divorce Industry interests is by burdening ousted fathers of all ethnicities with the draconian support penalties legislated as the result of society’s outrage at the prevalent conduct among black males of promiscuity, paternity, then abandonment. As the result of society’s outrage at black male promiscuity and irresponsibility, many innocent dads who fathered their children in wedlock are ground to bits emotionally and economically by the woman’s unilateral “right” under no-reason-needed divorce laws to oust then collect.

People mistakenly think the Divorce Industry is mostly staffed by the private divorce bar.

The vast majority of Divorce Industry laborers are employees on state payrolls (courts, supervision & administration of support and custody decrees). These state employees depend on the health of the Divorce Industry, So their interests conflict directly with the marital integrity of the family unit.

Husband, wife and children – everybody’s lovingly happy but her, she wants to break it up to the horror of dad and the kids. Who does the state side with? The family? No. The state sides with her against the natural wishes and needs of everybody else in the family.

Before the age of integration people who divorced were considered the lowest members of society. Now the state puts all it’s weight behind her against the needs of the rest of the family.

I say “before…integration” because blacks have always displayed by their conduct drastically less regard for the Christian rules of sexuality compared to the rest of America. There’s a school of thought that says integration was the left’s tool for making black immorality the prevalent standard across our society. Divorce and out-of-wedlock-birth stats indicate that has occurred.

p.s. earlier this morning I commented about a diversion on the flank. The gay marriage issue is the left’s greatest diversion on the flank – it’s a distraction which has successfully drawn so much attention away from the destruction of real marriage by no fault divorce laws.

• Gail says:

So sad, so true.

11. When I was in high school (many moons ago) I did volunteer work with a local chapter of National Association for Retarded Children. Most of our kids were Downs kids. They are simply AWESOME! Always ready with a smile and a hug that will brighten your darkest hour! This wonderful father is in for a lifetime of unconditional love the likes of which he’s never imagined, not in his wildest dreams. God Bless Leo and Daddy!!

• 2+2 says:

NASA sponsors the Special Olympics for kids at the various NASA Centers every spring. There are always a lot of Down’s Syndrome kids there. AWESOME doesn’t begin to describe these kids’ participation in this event. It is so much fun for everyone, kids, parents and volunteers! 🙂 🙂

12. Daniel says:

Let’s see if this woman is required to pay child support and if she keeps up with it and if she doesn’t if she is arrested for it. I doubt all of it to varying degrees.

• zephyrbreeze says:

Better yet, get her to relinqush her parental rights, so when he remarries, his wife can become the new mother, and this woman will have no way to interfere or retaliate.

• Josh says:

“…the new mother…” Little Leo doesn’t have a mommy. If the father remarries, THEN Little Leo will have a mommy. The woman who birthed him is not a mommy and hopefully will never have the privilege of ever having the honored title.

• 2+2 says:

If I read the article correctly, she lives in Armenia. Their laws and culture are different from ours.

13. wondering999 says:

Taking care of a family member with special needs can be overwhelming. It helps to be part of a strong support network. Sertoma is an organization that was originally founded to help people who were hard-of-hearing, but locally they do a lot of work for people with intellectual disabilities. I have pitched in as an assistant caregiver at some of their local adult group homes on weekends, and am proud of what I’ve seen of Sertoma work in my community. http://www.sertoma.org/

14. wondering999 says:

Someone else with an interesting history was the Austrian pediatrician Dr. Karl Koenig, who founded the Camphill Movement, beginning in Aberdeen, Scotland. “Camphill Villages” are now in place all over the world, providing havens for entire families with disabled children/adults.
    Maybe Armenia needs a Camphill Village, or something similar? I’m pretty sure New Zealand has one…. (“Trigger Alert” for anti-environmentalists! 🙂 They are VERY “green” … and their homes are very artistic)
    Karl Koenig: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_K%C3%B6nig
    Camphill Worldwide: http://camphill.net/
    Camphill in New York State: http://www.camphillvillage.org/

• 2+2 says:

That is interesting. Armenia is a poor country, so those would surely help and maybe institute a culture change so parents wouldn’t abandon their babies. Probably there is no state-supported aid for children, so some parents abandon them because it costs a lot to raise a normal child. Special needs children cost even more.

15. Sha says:

The father seems like a kind and loving man and the mother seems like she’s self centered from what I’m reading. If that is the case then the two father and child are better off with out her. My uncle had down syndrome, me and him were best buddies. He was a sweet soul.

16. Konagirl says:

You never know which baby/child God brought into your life for a Reason. This child will bring much joy and hope yo his family in New Zealand. I am a little distrustful of GoFundMe donations , but made a small donation to help this precious child and loving father to start to grow together. The Armenian community may learn as time goes on, but it’s a tough lesson.

17. joshua says:

this is the sensationalist side of the whole story….but nothing about the question of if the mother knew the husband was not working, was not making enough money to provide for a handicapped child as well as for his total family, including any future children.and that his past actions might suggest he is not going to do so for raising the child……the issue is not given full explanation, like most “news” today…..special needs children need more than merely LOVE and DEVOTION. as a parent, a loving caring parent, one must be prepared to do what it takes as a COUPLE to provide for the “special needs” in the interest of the child. Might not be about giving up the child so much as total belief that the husband is a loser and the fact that his reaction is to take the baby “home” so HIS FAMILY could help raise the child might have more importance than just thinking he is being fully honest, open, and rational.

• stella says:

Regardless of any of this, do you think it’s okay to abandon the child? This sounds just like the excuses people give to justify abortion.

If his wife actually had all of these misgivings, why did she decide to remain married to, and have a child with, this supposed loser, BEFORE she knew her child wasn’t perfect?

• joshua says:

your answer lies within the realm of an imperfect world. none of us know any of the circumstance other than a brief slanted story written to vilify and to prejudice opinions, without enough fact to actually be judges other than critical parent types.
        “If wishes were horses, all beggars would ride”….my mother always told me. I might wish otherwise, but the world is populated with folks who do not all agree culturally with “right vs wrong”.

• stella says:

We do know that the mother abandoned her child for whatever reason, and that the father decided to raise his son. These things happened before they became a news story.

• 2+2 says:

Before this woman conceives again, she and her partner should be tested for chromosome 21 translocation. Since she wants only “perfect” children, if she ever conceives again she should have amniotic testing to make sure the child is “perfect” before carrying to term, since she can’t be bothered with loving and caring for imperfect children. This woman obviously didn’t want to be a mother, so she should just be sterilized then she won’t have any worries about birthing imperfect children.

• Chip Bennett says:

Abortion justified by the results of amniocentesis is pure evil. Eugenics is pure evil.

Every human being has all God-given, natural rights attendant to every other human being, from the moment of conception. Period.

• 2+2 says:

Don’t take the sentence previous to that one out of context. THIS ONE is the point.

• Chip Bennett says:

What context could possibly justify that sentence? What else does one do with the results of amniocentesis, except find out that the unborn child has Downs Syndrome, and act on that information?

• 2+2 says:

If you don’t understand the concept of context, I’m not going to debate it with you, nor am I going to get into the pro-choice vs anti-abortion can of worms. The woman shouldn’t have children if she can’t accept what god gives her. POINT.

• Chip Bennett says:

So you’re pro murder of unborn human children. Why not just say so? Why erect straw men such as “context”?

No context changes the meaning – or heinousness – of abortion, and especially for eugenics-based abortion.

I won’t debate you on abortion, because no pro-abort ever debates logically or in good faith. When confronted with the biological and genetic fact that a unique, distinct human life is created at conception, every logical argument you cicould have fails, and you resort to emotional appeal.

• taqiyyologist says:

Thank you, Chip.

• lovelyd24 says:

Sure there is a lot we do not know about the father. What do we know? He is willing to raise his son. He is willing to uproot his life and move with his son to Australia to give his son a nurturing family.

What we know about the mother she was willing to abandon her son, the son she felt grow and move inside her own body, she was willing to abandon that same innocent child to what is very likely a hell hole of an orphanage in Armenia, because that son has Down Syndrome.

We can only offer opinions on what we know.

• michellc says:

Maybe then the woman should not have married him if he was such a loser. Normal babies are not inexpensive to raise and they don’t come with money back guarantees.

Not all downs syndrome babies have lots of medical issues, some do yes, but so do some babies born without downs syndrome. Outside of medical needs and extra time devoted to the child, downs babies require no more than normal babies.

My daughter’s baby is on special formula that is double the price of regular formula, I guess with your way of thinking if her husband had not had a job it would have warranted abandoning her child.

• michellc says:

Also I have a very good friend who has a downs syndrome child that is in her 20’s now. When they had her all those years ago her husband lost his job 2 days before she was born. He took what was available which was a job with room and board and $100 a week. Their child did have special medical needs but they still managed. Their life wasn’t easy and sometimes they lived on nothing more than beans and ramen noodles but neither of them abandoned their child.

• Concerned says:

I see no evidence that the husband is a loser. He’s from New Zealand. It appears his wife is Armenian. I think it’s a case of culture brainwashing overriding proper moral behavior. Armenians apparently think Down Syndrome babies are throwaways, based on the info in the article, and the wife apparently agreed with that philosophy.

18. Gail says:

He is beautiful. Down syndrome children have such an immense capacity for love & loving sweet nature. So much for a mothers love.

19. John Galt says:

So the father, Samuel Forrest, left a wonderful country and family in NZ (which has a strong economy with a record high employment participation rate) to marry a worthless beyotch in poverty ridden Armenia? $163K is a lot of money in Armenia where the per capita GDP is $2,300.

“The GDP per Capita in Armenia is equivalent to 18 percent of the world’s average.”

Sum Ting Wong

20. BH0213 says:

That is a heartbreaking story….and as a mother, how could you ever want to give up your child for anything? Having a mental disability means that they need you that much more. They count on you as a parent to take care of them! Its sad how selfish people can be! Props to the father. He is doing it right! That child is an innocent human being & deserves nothing but LOVE and nothing less than the best!!! My son is 4 months old and though he keeps me up, cries, and frustrates me time to time, I would never, ever treat him wrong or give up on him! That mother doesn’t deserve the love and sweetness her baby would have given her the rest of their lives!

• taqiyyologist says:

Props to the father. He is doing it right!

Therefore, this is not a heartbreaking story, but a hopeful one.

Were I to vote for an outcome, I would have Mom come back, and become super Mom.

And I hope she then has 5 more babies.

• taqiyyologist says:

All this hatred for the mom, and it’s, to me, like Jessica never existed.

That nobody is capable of change, or that we shouldn’t hope for that.

Maybe we should just burn her in a car on a MS back road.

• taqiyyologist says:

If God grants what I pray, she will come back, and be super mom.

• Josh says:

I don’t hate the woman who gave birth to the baby but I don’t care for the likes of her either. The break down of the family is the nucleus of many, many world wide problems. Sure she’s capable of change and I hope it happens. In the meantime, I’m done with people like her. She is a looser among many. She is a destructive person. Not just her ex-husband and the child will pay for her actions. Her actions will have a ripple effect. Where those ripples end, we’ll never know.

• Josh says:

“Maybe we should just burn her in a car on a MS back road.”
          I’ll let G-d deal with someone like her. That’s His job.

21. Irene says:

My sister’s first child was a Downs Syndrome baby. She is now 55 years old. She has taught the family much about sacrifice, patience, goodness, purity and compassion. They truly are God’s “chosen people” – incapable of evil.

22. pspsst says:

The baby has such a darling smile while sleeping on the mom’s shoulder! Leo, born happy. Saved by bio father from a life of destitution.

If this woman is all about the money and not love, she’ll attempt reconcilation to move to NZ. But…….I have to laugh at her ultimatum when the father chose cute, baby Leo, over ugly heart mother. ABANDONED, t’was her misfortune.

Forrest will have a loyal son by his side until he himself is old. The degree of mental impairment varies greatly among Down’s children. Intelligence can be maximized if caught early. The funds will help towards that end.

23. Josh says:

I just watched this and thought of this thread:
    The Most Beautiful Thing (Short Film)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, heard, or even touched, they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

24. Doug says:

Jonathan is now 17, he swims, plays basketball, likes to be read to, is a stinker, a joy, loves to sing, thinks he has a girl-friend (probably does), hates to shave, likes to go to the gym with dad, wants to know where mom is when he comes home, has three sisters and two brothers of whom he is the meat tenderizer for their hearts; they and we know everyone in the family has changed for the better because God visited our house with someone who wasn’t the “perfect baby”; who turned out to be perfect for us; downs syndrome and all. How do you know your perfect baby will turn out to be someone you have a lifetime relationship of love and friendship with? We do, with all of our kids. Jonathan has been a catalyst for all of this. Mr Forrest when you go back to New Zealand for love and support, just remember you are taking someone who is a multiplier of that love.
    God’s blessing on your courageous path. Two paths were presented, you are a wise man.
    Doug Hardy

25. John says:

Men have abandoned perfectly healthy children to their mothers since time immemorial. I know, my ‘father’ was one of them.

26. whodoneit says:

Putting aside the horrific aspect of a mother wanting to abandon her newborn child simply because it has Downs – something just isn’t right about this story. We have an “unemployed” New Zealander who, for whatever reason, lives in “Armenia”? Okay. And his wife told him she’s through with him if he didn’t agree to “give up” the “defective child”. Exactly where do you simply “give up” a disabled newborn in Armenia? Is this a common practice there? Just where do these children go? What?

And exactly how did this “unemployed” distraught father from New Zealand who lives in Armenia plan on supporting a normal child? This ridiculous scenario has all the earmarks of pure “scam”.

27. wondering999 says:

Here is something about Armenian orphanages (From “Armenian Weekly”, 2012: http://armenianweekly.com/2012/08/15/ending-the-era-of-orphanages-in-armenia/

I want to caution anyone who looks down their nose at Armenia because of this, to remember the mote/beam in the eye problem. It’s easy to locate problems elsewhere from our own home.

In a recent gang video on the Jessica thread, a man who eventually left a gang said that in retrospect he doesn’t regret having joined a gang. The gang fed and housed him when he was a homeless kid on his own.

That isn’t a rare situation in the United States, either. One of daughter’s friends, a very altruistic/religious 20-something, has helped out in missions for homeless teens in the outer reaches of Los Angeles. Her stories made my hair stand on end. A well-run orphanage would be an improvement over the shelter of a dumpster.

28. wondering999 says:

Here’s another article from Armenian Weekly, about Kharberd orphanage which doesn’t turn out its orphans at age 18. Maybe Kharberd could use the next crowdfunding venture?

“I not only met the children but also met many adults who depend on Kharberd. The orphanage cares for around 275 people ranging from toddlers to adults in their 30s who all have severe mental or physical disabilities. The law regarding orphans in Armenia states that once they turn 18, they must leave the orphanages and basically fend for themselves. …But Kharberd has a different situation because of the orphans’ severe disabilities. These orphans would never be able to take care of themselves independently and Kharberd director Harutyun Balasanyan has made sure that they remain under the orphanage’s care.

“According to Balasanyan, “Kharberd is all that many of these handicapped children and adults have. It is their only chance for survival. How could we turn our backs on them?” I never got a chance to meet Balasanyan in person because he had taken some of the children on an outing to Lake Sevan on the day that I visited Kharberd. However, after visiting the orphanage, where Balasanyan devotes so much of his time and energy, I feel like I know the kind of person he is. He and his staff go above and beyond every day. They have one of the toughest jobs I have ever seen and they come to work with a smile and a can-do attitude despite the difficult circumstances. They will do whatever it takes to ensure the wellbeing of so many who are not able to take care of themselves.

“While the Kharberd orphans are extremely needy, the condition of the facility is another huge problem. There are plumbing issues, leaking ceilings, crumbling walls, and loose floorboards. It seemed they were everywhere I turned. In addition to building renovations, there is a constant need for basic supplies and toiletries. While Kharberd receives government funding and aid from SOAR, it is not nearly enough to maintain a safe environment for the orphans or provide basic necessities for proper hygiene. And this is only one orphanage. There are similar situations at many if not all of the orphanages.”

29. Chris Chapel says: