After you read the media report of Brian Williams lying, and his admission, it’s important to watch the video of how he made the claim. This is NOT some simple case of “misremembering”…. This is intentional and deceptive lying. [Make Sure You Watch The Video]

BRIAN-WILLIAMS-largeNEW YORK – NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams admitted Wednesday he was not aboard a helicopter hit and forced down by RPG fire during the invasion of Iraq in 2003, a false claim that has been repeated by the network for years.

Williams repeated the claim Friday during NBC’s coverage of a public tribute at a New York Rangers hockey game for a retired soldier that had provided ground security for the grounded helicopters, a game to which Williams accompanied him. In an interview with Stars and Stripes, he said he had misremembered the events and was sorry.

The admission came after crew members on the 159th Aviation Regiment’s Chinook that was hit by two rockets and small arms fire told Stars and Stripes that the NBC anchor was nowhere near that aircraft or two other Chinooks flying in the formation that took fire. Williams arrived in the area about an hour later on another helicopter after the other three had made an emergency landing, the crew members said.

“I would not have chosen to make this mistake,” Williams said. “I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another.”

Williams made the claim while presenting NBC coverage of the tribute to the retired command sergeant major at the Rangers game, and the fans giving the soldier a standing ovation.[…]

Miller, Reynolds and Mike O’Keeffe, who was a door gunner on the damaged Chinook, said they all recall NBC reporting that Williams was aboard the aircraft that was attacked, despite it being false. The NBC online archive shows the network broadcast a news story on March 26, 2003, with the headline “Target Iraq: Helicopter NBC’s Brian Williams Was Riding In Comes Under Fire.” (read more)

Now watch this video beginning at 2:45 to see the extent of his fabrications:

This entry was posted in media bias, Notorious Liars, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

104 Responses to Brian Williams Admits He Lied About Being Under Fire, In A Helicopter Crash, In Iraq 2003… (W/ Video)

1. cajunkelly says:

I just read about this on FOX. He claims he got his memory of the events mixed up? How the HECK can you mix up fire one vs. not fired on or shot down vs. not shot down?
    When I told my DH about the article he said: liberals gonna lie

• sundance says:

• polk8dot says:

‘He claims he got his memory of the events mixed up? How the HECK can you mix up fired on vs. not fired on or shot down vs. not shot down’

Very easy, dear. When you’re such a great, fearless, principled truth pursuer as Brian Williams, you are constantly under fire. It is inescapable. It comes with the territory, and he will wear those battle scars with pride. Navigating safely the corridors of corporate power is a life threatening proposition. With all the backstabbing it must feel like mortal combat all the time. The US troops have it so easy in comparison, ding it. Clearly being sniped at by one’s detractors and taking RPG and small arms fire are completely equivalent and interchangeable. Such a hero {snort}. /s

What a tool. SMDH…. I bet tomorrow he will blame it all on the PTSD he has developed from having been shot down that time back a decade ago over Iraq……wait, ..oh, yeah, right…I guess it only leaves one other sin_eraser. Rehab it is.

P.S. cajunKelly – is that your new puppy? That pic is adorable. ☺

• cajunkelly says:

No, that’s not Cooper, but it’s one of his brothers from a previous litter from the same mom and dad. Cooper’s not quite that big yet but he’s growing! This is our little guy, as of Monday. The breeder gave ’em all a bath. ❤

Now back to the regularly scheduled topic. 😉 Sorry for the OT post admin but polk8dot started it! 😛

• polk8dot says:

OK, OK, I apologize, Admins, for the actions of my radical self. But have you seen that puppy bath picture? It just makes it worth it getting yelled at. 😉

2. Hank Rearden says:

What difference, at this point, does it make?

3. John Galt says:

Sounds just like Hillary’s sniper fire story.

4. What heterosexual guy would wear purple? Creepy man. Liar coming clean? Wonder what he is up to?

• I would wear purple. Back three hundred years ago, kings wore purple, because they could afford it. You had to be a king or a real queen, so it showed your royalty. I still like purple. But not mauve. That won’t do.

• As you wish. As I wish. However: Men folk in the 1950’s wouldn’t be caught dead in Magnum PI short-shorts, either. It’s called “modesty in dress” for men women, kids & teens. Actually: the Color Purple in a Catholic Mass means “Penance.” Yet, in American Society it seems purple or rainbow colors are associated with ascent to the Gay Marriage agenda. Which I and God are not for. God already settled that score in the two cities now under the Dead Sea, called “Sodom & Gomorra.” (Since you like History). Have a good day. Everyone is free to have their own opinions.

• Now, you see, you just committed a grammatical error that was cause by political correctness. You should have said, “Everyone is free to have HIS own opinions. But in the PC world that is bad. So, in order not to offend women, it is now OK to offend English teachers. As a former English teacher, I take great offense! To not offend me again, you must say “his or her”. Of course, what you should really do is thumb your nose at political correctness, but everyone is free to have his own opinion about that. 😉

• John Denney says:

• No. I do not ascribe to moral relativism that says, “everyone is free to have their own opinion.” If you dress immodestly or wear gang signs or colors that would knowingly provoke a negative response, you have only yourself to blame if you get what you invited. I am a woman, who thinks logically. “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.” It is just common sense; “cause and effect.” God gives us a free will to follow His Holy Will. If we abuse that God-given freedom imprudently, then we reap what we sew. It’s as simple as that. For example; if a man wears a lot of purple or rainbow colors, then is hit on by another man, he shares partial blame for not being more prudent. However, the gay man’s sin is more serious. The later man has no sense of his or the other’s worth; or he would not be seeking to copulate with another man – which is against God’s 6th and 9th Commandment. (Catholic 10 Commandments are numbered differently). I will pray for you and I hope you will do the same. Adieu.

• Sorry, guess you didn’t get my humor, which has nothing to do with being gay or dressing immodestly. It did jab at political correctness, which is also bowing to the secular god. About that I don’t wish to bind anyone’s conscience who decides to follow recent convention and use a plural instead of a masculine, because most people don’t even realize what they are doing. So, please don’t start a war. Let’s just agree that things aren’t what they used to be because of an insidious and evil agenda. I for one, don’t wish to alter my because of the perversity of others. But I will remember not to wear purple around you if I ever knowingly meet you.

• God binds our conscience if we know right from wrong and ignore His Will, either out of cold indifference to him, our neighbors or ourself. God is thrice holy; three divine persons in One God. We, His Creation, are “called to holiness.” We are called, in our particular station in life to know, love and serve Him, to be with Him forever in heaven.

Purple is worn by priests during Lent to denote “penance.”

The world changes one soul at a time, unless God majorly intervenes as He did in Guadalupe, Mexico. There 8 Million Aztec Indians converted. That’s pretty amazing.

READ: Paragraph 83 of the “Diary” of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska.

• cajunkelly says:

DH wears purple. Heck he’ll even wear (gasp) PINK if he likes the cut of the shirt. He detests drab colors. Colors, like clothes, do not make (or unmake) the man.

• As you wish. As I wish.

• cajunkelly says:

Except that you choose to pass judgement on those who do “as we/they wish” regarding the simple color purple.
          A certain groups laying claim to a set of colors does NOT make those colors exclusively theirs.
          How about the color green? Do you subscribe to the tree hugger society? I hear they wear a lot of green.
          A certain alternative lifestyle community uses black and blue for their colors. Would you refuse to wear those colors?

Silly. IMO, of course.

• Eric says:

Hey, nothing wrong with wearing purple. I wear it and it’s a great color on me. By the way, have you paid attention to the side colors of the website? 😉

• You ain’t lived until you hear an eyeliner wearing, Catholic Priest, on the “Solemnity of Christ the King” give a Pro-Prince sermon! Anger doesn’t begin to describe it for me. I held back wanting to punch that little punk out. But, I re-committed my life to Christ the King that day!

• auscitizenmom says:

Real men wear whatever color they want. 🙂 (I don’t think real women will accept crocheted shorts on men.) 😦

5. Murse says:

He came clean because he knows there are no longer any consequences for being deceitful or engaging in fraudulent behavior.

6. Liars, all of them.
    Every.
    Single.
    One.

I stopped believing any liberal/progressive years ago, including my relatives and ‘friends’.
    I stopped watching the mainstream media, which of course features these liars, at least 12 yea ago.

I assume the mainstream media is attempting to lie to me all the time, if only I would watch them.
    I won’t.
    I do not feel that I am missing anything.

7. Justme says:

Just posted the link to the Stars and Stripes article on NBC News Facebook page with the comment
    “How can you even pretend to maintain a modicum of credibility with this story now out?”

Doesn’t look like it made it past moderation. LOL

8. doodahdaze says:

He lies every night when he spouts the DNC Newz.

9. justfactsplz says:

What a slap in the face to all of the military involved in that episode. How he kept this under wraps so long shows what a good liar he is. The detail in which he describes this non event is sickening.

• polk8dot says:

‘shows what a good liar he is’

And even more so, it shows how utterly complicit and willing to lie, obfuscate, ignore, obstruct and deny the MSM are.

• justfactsplz says:

That is so true. The sad thing is people watch the msm and believe every word they say. The lo fo people think if it’s on the news it must be true. SMH.

10. Ziiggii says:

Wow, rewatching that video makes it really hard to believe he just got the memory of that night mixed up! He was pretty exact on what happened while in that helo… but I guess he was scared sh!tless about even being there on the front lines that it could have all seemed like a bad dream to his posh NYC life and that it was all just a blur.

I have a close USMC brother (Capt at the time in charge of a tank company) that were very literally the tip of the spear when we went 65 mph straight into Bagdad without stopping and that entire trip was everything but a vague blur to him and his company! They were the very first American unit to drive into the city and to hear him tell the story is like reliving it as it happened.

Shame on Brian Williams! And one last thought; isn’t it interesting he recounted the story on the rival CBS network and that it was on the late night comedy show? Almost like it was supposed to be satirical in nature. I bet NBC try’s to spin it that way to save face.

• stella says:

I remember watching the march into Baghdad on television. It was surreal.

• Ziiggii says:

I hadn’t actually seen this video of the original report which started this entire swirl in the toilet bowl off… just putting it here for other that might not have seen it as well. I said “Shame on Brian Williams!” above… I recant that statement to say “FFFF, Brian Williams!”.

• Ziiggii says:

oops forgot link

• Ziiggii says:

Williams continues to try and save face and his own credibility. This from a Fox New article
        “In addition, Williams has written a comment in response to service members that have posted about the issue on Facebook.
        “You are absolutely right and I was wrong. In fact, I spent much of the weekend thinking I’d gone crazy. I feel terrible about making this mistake, especially since I found my OWN WRITING about the incident from back in ’08, and I was indeed on the Chinook behind the bird that took the RPG in the tail housing just above the ramp,” he wrote. “Because I have no desire to fictionalize my experience (we all saw it happened the first time) and no need to dramatize events as they actually happened, I think the constant viewing of the video showing us inspecting the impact area — and the fog of memory over 12 years — made me conflate the two, and I apologize.”
        Williams went on to describe his memory of the armored mech platoon and meeting different service members.
        “My attempt to pay tribute to CSM Terpak was to honor his 23 [plus] years in service to our nation, and it had been 12 years since I saw him. The ultimate irony is: In writing up the synopsis of the 2 nights and 3 days I spent with him in the desert, I managed to switch aircraft. Nobody’s trying to steal anyone’s valor,” he added. “Quite the contrary: I was and remain a civilian journalist covering the stories of those who volunteered for duty. This was simply an attempt to thank Tim, our military and Veterans everywhere — those who have served while I did not.”

and in the article several Veterans quoted that hold NBC and Williams feet to the fire.

11. lovelyd24 says:

I don’t watch MSM didn’t know about this particular liars lie until I read it here after it had been revealed as a lie. But I am not surprised in the least.

Lying is their nature.

Remember Hillary was named after Sir Edmund Hillary.

O wait…

12. whodoneit says:

John Galt hit it right. This is exactly the same kind of BS Hilary Clinton doled out about her 1996 trip to Bosnia – claiming that upon her flight’s arrival, she was forced to duck and cover against sniper fire while she ran for her life toward the rescue vehicle that would hopefully deliver her out of harms way.

What crap. The truth of it is that she landed quite uneventfully and was happily greeted by a couple of Bosnian dignitaries, US military and a little girl who presented her with flowers. This exposed by non other than Sharyl Attkisson.

I just don’t understand why these bone head liberals have absolutely no problem lying through their teeth about anything and everything, knowing full well that what they have stated can readily be disproved. What’s worse is that once they are found out – it doesn’t even faze them. They think nothing of it, and simply move on to their next lie – including our “Liar In Chief”. Incredible!

13. Sharon says:

“We landed…..we landed hard…..” His story telling was very detailed.

“Our captain took a Purple Heart injury in the ear….”

And he actually arrived AN HOUR LATER…..obviously he just lost track of the time…..what a jerk. He had to do all of that just to set up the picture.

….”And don’t think anything of me;……” Ri-i-i-ight. But you took the trouble to bring the picture, deliver it to the technicians ahead of the show and set up the monologue to show yourself in the best of all possible light.

What a jerk.

14. beaujest says:

And to think thousands of viewers believe this “charlatan “on a nightly basis !

15. zephyrbreeze says:

What arrogance to not consider that there were WITNESSES (HELLLOOO) who could refute his story. And with social media, now everyone can confirm he’s a complete douche. Why would he do it?

An excellent article on Michael Moore’s own cowardice and lies about his life being in danger explains it pretty well. Essentially, these lazy leftists know in their hearts that they are nothing close to the heroes these soldiers are and are desperate to steal some of their reflected glory.

The Cowardice of Michael Moore by Daniel Greenfield for Front Page Magazine

“It has been said truthfully that it is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press,” Senator Zell Miller said at the Republican National Convention in 2004. “It is the soldier, not the poet who has given us the freedom of speech.”

“But don’t waste your breath telling that to the leaders of my party today,” the Democrat added.

“Moore hired nine bodyguards, who he claimed were former Navy SEALS wearing “night-vision goggles and other special equipment that I’m convinced few people outside CIA headquarters have ever seen.”

“He began retelling incidents in which his round-the-clock bodyguards stepped in to save his life that police had no record of….

“As a coward, Moore needed to cultivate a heroic image by surrounding himself with former men of action and telling stories about how they had saved his life. In his own perverse way, Moore was validating Miller’s speech.

“Underlying Miller’s speech was the question of who was the real hero; was it Michael Moore or the American soldier? Was it the man risking his life in battle or the smug media talking head?

“Even while slamming soldiers, Moore wanted their aura of courage. So he bought and paid for it.”

(This article is a Classic*. Read the whole thing.)

• VideoSavant says:

To Brian Williams, they weren’t witnesses. They were props.

• zephyrbreeze says:

Exactly, playing bit parts to his starring role. Despicable Him.

“The anti-war left is rooted in self-important professions whose members imagine that they are far more important than the soldier. They come out of Hollywood, with its imaginary heroics, academia, with its tenured philosopher-kings and the media with its conviction that smears are deadlier than bullets.

“It is the people whom the soldier causes to feel most irrelevant who resent him the most.”

16. cajunkelly says:

He was just so disoriented by “the fog of war”. Yeah, that’s it.

17. TKim says:

Well Brain, at least you won’t have to retire to your home in San Clemente. Next week when the American public forgets this, you will just need to buff up your shine and move on,

But, like the story of every newsman and politician and author and entertainer who told a radically different story about being targeted in a war zone, the military will NOT forget. To get votes, fame, tv appearances, book deals or anything else self-serving you stood on the necks of American servicemen and women.

Beyond disgusting.

• BobNoxious says:

It’s unforgivable. In the past week NBC News has had their “straight news” Middle East correspondent refer to Chris Kyle as a racist that went on killing sprees and now their number 1 nightly news anchor is still lying about the circumstances surrounding his reports from Iraq 2003. Bad time to be the peacock.

18. my66 says:

Keep in mind, this is the same shady character whose idea of a regular family night includes watching his own naked daughter bent over a guy’s face on HBO. Tacky, no?

19. BobNoxious says:

I think Williams still has A LOT more explaining to do. No newsman (or even soldier/sailor/marine) is going to “confuse” or “misremember” the first time they were forced down by an RPG fired near their helicopter. I could understand a soldier/sailor/marine possibly confusing subsequent shoot downs it they experienced multiple forced landings over the course of an extended military career- Matt Bissonnette mentions this in his book.

However, there is absolutely no way in the world that Brian Williams, who rarely travels into war zones, would not remeber exactly what happened on his first few military helicopter rides- even uneventful ones that went off without a problem. If what the 159th guys are saying is true (which I believe it is) B Dubs WAS NOWHERE NEAR the helo that was forced down by RPG fire, so that makes it even more impossible that B Dubs simply “confused” things.

This makes me so angry. Williams needs to come out tonight and fully clear this up, even if it means having to admit he flat out lied for 10 years.

• Sharon says:

“….clear this up”….???? How on earth would anyone ever be able to know that he had done that, even if we listen first hand? Clearing this up, in normal world behavior of truth-telling, would require what is actually called repentance: acknowledging that he deliberately falsified the details of a life and death situation, involving honorable military members who lay their lives on the line for real every day; further acknowledging that this falsification was done deliberately and with forethought in order to make himself look better than he is, in order to make people think that his life was in danger when it was not.

I don’t think it’s possible for him to clear this up. His choice of boot-height is all he has left. What size water-wings to get from the props dept.

20. maggiemoowho says:

21. lorac says:

Hmm didn’t Hildabeast also under gun fire with Chelsea! Same old lies from liberal wackos. Being a vet believe me you remember being fired are you don’t misremember that. What you do is deliberately lie about it!

22. Brett says:

Corrupt, lying filth.

23. stella says:

24. Pam says:

When I saw the headlines today, I was not surprised or shocked. I am somewhat surprised by the number of other people who are surprised and shocked.

This was my reaction:

Lying progressive tool.
    Business as usual. (Using the definition “the normal execution of operations within an organization”)

25. taqiyyologist says:

#ThankyouforyourserviceBrian

THAT needs to trend on Twitter.

26. John Denney says:

Sounds like being that close to the action gave him PTSD and false memories.

Poor guy! He was just an hour away, which is really too close for comfort for a man of his standing. After all, it COULD have been his bird that got hit, since they were in enemy territory.

/sarc

27. Lucille says:

“Brian Williams is an honest man, says … Dan Rather”; Update: Contradictory accounts?
    POSTED AT 2:01 PM ON FEBRUARY 5, 2015 BY ALLAHPUNDIT

OK, you military personnel can say whether this is true or not–doesn’t a pilot experiencing enemy fire have to file an action report? If so, just get a copy and the truth will be revealed between the accounts of the crewman and the pilot.

• Ziiggii says:

I’m not sure how AAR’s were handled at that early stage of the offensive. But you are correct at some point a report and debrief would have been filed. Where those reports are is a good question. Here are a list of exampleAAR’s from around the time of the incident. In the mean time a follow up article from the Stars and Stripes with a more in depth account of the events that night.
      “Sgt. 1st Class Joseph Miller, who was a flight engineer on the Chinook carrying NBC, said the TV news crew placed a microphone in one of the helicopter’s headsets and later broadcast clips of the radio reports from the Chinook company that was attacked.”

so there’s at least a recording made by NBC that may provide some insight and prove the accounts of the crewmen besides the AAR.

• Ziiggii says:

apparently there were 2 completely different units with 3 helo’s in formation that passed each other one headed toward Kuwait the other heading towards Baghdad. The helo the NBC crew were on were part of “Hercules” (159th Aviation Regiment) headed towards Kuwait and the others were “Big Windy” (158th Aviation Regiment) headed towards Baghdad. Big Windy was headed to resupply the front line when they took fire and the NBC crew overheard what happened over the comms well after the two formations had pasted each other. Hercules had to turn around because of the oncoming sandstorm and just so happened to land at the same forward base “Rams” where Big Windy landed due to the damage. That’s when Williams went and found the Big Windy crew to interview them about what happened.

So even Williams “corrected” account of the events in his apology are a sham! They were no where near the event at all…

28. taqiyyologist says:

“The other day I was…

…no wait, that was someone else.”

–Steven Wright

29. taqiyyologist says:

You can’t hide your lyin’ eyes.
    And your smile is a thin disguise.
    I thought by now you’d realize
    There ain’t no way to hide your lyin’ eyes.”

–The Eagles

30. kpm58 says:

More than just Williams at NBC knew this was a lie. Doesn’t this show a pattern of NBC News lying.
    I think such a pattern could be helpful with a certain person’s law suit against NBC.

31. Michael Dixon says:

Much is being made about Brian Williams’ war story fabrication, and even some media colleagues are chastising him. Why do they never point out the lies of Obama, Kerry and spokesmen for the regime? Here’s an insightful column that addresses that question. http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2015/02/05/cowardly-despicable-american-presstitutes/

32. systemBuilder says:

As one of the most conservative talking heads on TV, I never thought he was very smart. So he gets a buy from me, I forgive him for his memory lapse. He never signaled very much intelligence to begin with, he’s sort of like a republican version of Dan Rather.