You know this guy is strong to have survived 3 days under these conditions. You know this guy is Chuck Norris strong to have battled with an Alaska Wolverine and lived. (make sure you watch the video as he describes exactly what a Wolverine does during a hunt).

ALASKA – A man in Alaska says it’s a miracle that he survived three days in the wilderness while battling sub-zero temperatures and a wolverine.

alaska strong

Craig Johnson was halfway through an 80-mile trek through remote Alaska on Dec. 15 when his snowmobile fell through the ice. He was on his way to visit family for the holidays.

“I almost gave up … But I couldn’t give up. I had to do it for my boys, my family,” he said. “I think it’s a miracle that I’m alive.”

Johnson, 38, said he had to crawl back to the thicker part of the ice as his snowmobile sank.

“Everything just happened so fast,” he said.

In his icy clothes, Johnson walked 30 miles searching for help while being stalked by a wolverine.

“You could hear it on the ice, just playing with me, toying with me,” he said.

After warning shots failed to scare off the animal, Johnson said he used a stick to defend himself. He then stumbled upon a wooden box that he used as shelter.

Johnson was reported missing and several rescue helicopters flew past him.

“That third night when they passed right by me – not even 200, 300 yards – that’s when I lost hope,” Johnson said. “I just laid back down in that box I was in. It just felt like that was an open grave for me.”

As the temperatures dropped to negative 35 degrees, a search team led by Clifford Benson, Johnson’s cousin, closed in. (read more and watch the video)

Angry Wolverine

“Aw c’mon, we were just beginning to have fun…. we was just playin’ wif him, swear!'”

This entry was posted in Heros, Uncategorized, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to One Tough Dude – Alaska Man Survives Three Days At Temps -35′ and Holds Off Stalking Wolverine Until Rescue…

1. justfactsplz says:

I can see why we are called Wolverines. Native Americans seem to have built in survival skills that surpass many other people. His survival is amazing and miraculous. My DH who is part Cherokee inherited many traits from his grandmother that is unique. He could survive in the elements like that in his younger days.

• Monkeywench says:

If you would all like to be impressed by survival in Alaska, read “In the Kingdom of Ice” by Hampton Sides. It takes place in the late 1800’s and tells the grand and terrible polar voyage of the USS Jeannette. I believe people were made of sterner stuff back then.

2. Alaskagurl says:

Most people couldn’t survive it at -35. From a fellow Alaskan I’m really happy you survived it Craig.

3. Jim Brown says:

That story of survival is impressive to say the least, Wolverines are bad a$$es for sure and usually get what they stalk.

4. Smarty says:

• A wooden box just suddenly appears that can be used as shelter. Not a coincidence, more like a Godwink!

And apparently it was equipped with heat. Otherwise he’d have died for sure. You don’t survive -35 degrees by sheltering in a box. I’m calling shenanigans on this one.

• John Galt says:

“A wooden box just suddenly appears that can be used as shelter.”

That pretty much described all of Barrow when I was there in the summer about 15 years ago.

5. Matt Musson says:

Wolverines – Honey Badgers of the North.

6. davsel says:

There are no documented cases of wolverines attacking humans (other than this site).
    Why not start a fire?
    Warning shots? Why not save your ammo for signal shots?

Hell of an ordeal I am certain, but I dislike journalistic exaggeration.

7. Solomonpal says:

Impressive indeed. The story is lacking details however. Curious minds would like to know. How did he dry off after going in the water ? Or did he go in the water? Survival pack? Fire? How come he didn’t kill the wolverine. Warning shots? Maybe that was for general public consumption. To be sure the Alaska natives of that region have the mentality and skills to survive the brutal elements. They are the real deal. Unfortunately as a people they are also subject to the clash of culture to their detriment.
    Glad you made it buddy and thanks to your friends and relatives for going all out to find you. You knew they were looking. One tough dude.

8. LetJusticePrevail" says:

I would ate to have been this guy, alone for 3 days in sub-zero temperatures, punctured lungs, frozen toes, and no way to signal for help. Despite what some may think, starting a fire in those circumstances would be next to impossible, even for a healthy person,let alone an injured one. With no dry kindling, there’s no “survival” trick to create an ember, or ignite a blaze. This guy has to be one of the hardiest, and luckiest people alive.

9. Sharon says:

In places where negative 35 is a normal part of winter those who have good sense don’t travel alone, unnecessarily. He was took a massive risk and put others at risk in the necessity to search for him. I’m glad he lived.

10. Alaskan Bob says:

The Inupik Eskimo are a very strong people. I lived with them for two years in Nuiqsut, Alaska and was always in awe at how adept they are for such a harsh environment as the arctic is.

11. gwsjr425 says:

Id much like to hear his story but I don’t go near the filth that is the MSM.