Vulgar/Racist Teacher’s Administration: You Can’t Quit,… You’re Fired !

Follow-up to earlier story HERE –  (CNN) — A Texas teacher was fired Friday, one week after sending racially charged tweets about incidents in Ferguson, Missouri.  Vinita Hegwood said in a statement that she was “reacting to a series of threatening and racist attacks” made against her and her “expressed opinions on Ferguson, Missouri,” when she wrote on November 7, “Who the (expletive) made you dumb (expletive) crackers think I give a squat (expletive) about your opinions. #Ferguson Kill yourselves.”

vinita L Hegwood 2.1vinita L Hegwood 2.2

[…] Hegwood, whom the school district suspended on Monday, submitted her resignation Thursday, accepting responsibility for the tweets that she said were sent “emotionally and impulsively.”

The Duncanville Independent School District’s seven-member board declined to accept her resignation and instead voted to terminate her, district spokeswoman Lari Barager said.

vinita L Hegwood 4

District employees do have the right to free speech, Barager said, but Hegwood’s comments were so egregious, the school was left with “no other option.”

Hegwood, an English teacher, was in her second year at Duncanville High School near Dallas.

She apologized for any embarrassment her actions may have caused the district.

“My reaction in no way reflects the standards to which I have held myself and my students for the last 20 years of teaching,” she said.  (read more)

This entry was posted in 1st Amendment, Anti-White Intifada, BGI - Black Grievance Industry, CRS, Cultural Marxism, Education, Political correctness/cultural marxism, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

119 Responses to Vulgar/Racist Teacher’s Administration: You Can’t Quit,… You’re Fired !

1. elvischupacabra says:

I’ll wager she has a job lined up with an NGO, with an agency of BGI or some government agency. 😆

2. elvischupacabra says:

Twitter: 140 characters that can get you into a world of sh!t but are insufficient to explain, qualify or moderate.

• TexasRanger says:

What the he11 does that mean – “the human element is missing”? This sorry excuse for a women-teacher is clearly a vulgar foul mouth racist. What do you think she can explain and justify her tweets in a personal interview?

Nothing was taken out of context or meaning – her Tweet is very clear to any reader!

Are you defending her?

• elvischupacabra says:

Go back and re-read my comment.

Paragraph #1 is a brief description of Twitter and its shortcomings.

Paragraph #2 is stating a well-known FACT, that 90% of all communication is NON-VERBAL. That means, that when we speak, we hear inflection, intonations, pauses, etc. When we’re face-to-face, speaking is enhanced by eye contact, body language and proximity.

Conclusion: I was describing how stupid Twitter really is and pointing out that the HUMAN element is missing when we just share mere words. Furthermore, the only thing that can make word-only communication more effective is using much more than 140-characters, so people don’t draw the wrong conclusion, which you have so effectively proven by concluding just the opposite of what I intended to write.

Perhaps I should have used more than 140 characters!! 😆

• …you admit you’re confused….it shows…..funny how we all try to alienate ppl we disagree with….and in this case you just assume she’s defending her….the PROG APPROACH is the WRONG APPROACH…..we must not oppress those we disagree with….or do you like the enhanced privilege or power you think you acquire from it?

• Chip Bennett says:

How much context or elaboration is needed for “Kill yourselves”?

• elvischupacabra says:

Re-read what I wrote Chip. Nowhere was the words ‘context’ or ‘elaboration’ used.

People will write stupid sh!t all day long that they’d never, ever say to another human, face-to-face. We interact differently face-to-face than we do sharing mere words. That’s not an opinion; that’s a fact… jack(a**). See? I’d never say that to your face.

And no, I don’t think you’re a jackass. I was merely using that to illustrate a point.

Again, Twitter allows people to use misplaced passion with just enough characters to get into trouble and not enough to explain or nuance. And, it’s easier to write something and cast it into the vast ether of cyberspace than say it to another person’s face.

• Chip Bennett says:

You said:

Twitter: 140 characters that…are insufficient to explain, qualify or moderate.

How are explain, qualify, and moderate materially different from context and elaboration?

That people will say things online that they wouldn’t say in person has little to do with the 140-character limit of Twitter, and everything to do with being physically separated from the repercussions of ones words. Internet trolls and flame wars long-predate Twitter.

• Chip don’t take pieces of what they are saying to counter, that’s what the PROGS do…it’s there only tactic because when they look at things as a WHOLE they have no argument…

• elvischupacabra says:

I was speaking about Twitter generally and not what’s-her-name specifically. If you’d read the comment I wrote jussssst above that one, you can see that I’m hardly a fan.

I’ll also wager that 99% of the bullsh!t people write on the Internet they’d never utter in real life to a real person. No, people are generally more accommodating than that, if not out of mutual respect, then maybe out of a healthy fear of causing a confrontation. People generally hate confrontation, eyeball to eyeball. That’s why people are not as big of a**holes when they walk down a sidewalk as they are when they drive. Distance and human contact do matter.

Hegwood’s over the wall (mixing metaphors, here) comment probably had as much to do with her perceived distance from real people as it did with the Twitter character limit. My point was essentially that when people have REAL interaction, they are able to be more nuanced and can qualify what they say, or maybe not be as direct and blunt.

Isn’t that a reasonable explanation? Otherwise, I don’t know how more clear I explain.

• Chip Bennett says:

I agree with you, but you’re addressing two separate issues:

1. Loss of context in the character-limited format of Twitter
              2. Loss of normal societal constraints due to the wall of anonymity provided by the internet

I agree with you, wholeheartedly, on the second issue. It is the first with which I disagree. While I’m sure that Hegwood’s tweets bore particular racial animus as a result of issue 2, I do not think that issue 1 applied at all. There is no loss of context, no missing non-verbal communication, no lack of elaboration, in the declarative phrase, “Kill yourselves.”

I believe that’s my only point of disagreement/clarification with what you originally said – which, again, was:

Twitter: 140 characters…are insufficient to explain, qualify or moderate.

On all other aspects, we agree.

• What they were saying is everyone thinks there a badass behind when there behind a keyboard.

• Akela says:

I have a non-verbal response for you. Can you guess what it is?

• elvischupacabra says:

Yes, I can.

I can also guess that reading comprehension wasn’t high on your skills set.

• Tut tut. When you call your opponent stupid you are….acting like a lib. I have to agree with the general feeling here that your comments are a kind of defense for her. There is no human element she could have added to those words that would have changed the meaning from racist to non-racist. And she added “go kill yourselves” just to let us know she meant it.

• elvischupacabra says:

This is what I wrote:

Paragraph one: Twitter is a stupid thing. It’s very brevity is its Achilles heel. It lures the narcissists into traps of their own words, hoisted on their own petards. Clear?

Paragraph two: “90% of real communication is non-verbal. Tweeting, texting and e-mailing are no viable substitutes, and the human element is missing.”

What the heck do you THINK that means? The first sentence is a FACT. The second sentence offers the (well-founded) opinion that when we STOP interacting face-to-face and use electronic communications, he dehumanize ourselves and those to whom we communicate.

If you cannot understand that, then I don’t know how else to put it.

As for my “opponent” I didn’t realize I had any here. As for calling my supposed opponent “stupid” re-read both of the word’s usage for context this time. Stupid was an adjective describing Twitter in one instance and sh!t in the other. Can you not see that? If I called a fellow poster stupid, Miss Stella would take me to the woodshed.

As for defending Hegwood, y’all must be real new here.

Seriously… It’s got to be a full moon somewhere!

• yankeeintx says:

The reason we have to use /s/ tags is because people reading are not in the room with me to see the grin on my face!
      It is nice to see that she is sticking to the standard liberal excuse. “I’m sorry for doing nothing wrong, it wasn’t my fault” 🙂

3. yakmaster2 says:

Good call by the Duncanville school board. It’s like real life fired instead of the usual governmental administrative leave with pay bullshite.

• scaretactics says:

Yes….good call.

A few years ago, a principal at a local school was at a work party and gave the finger to the camera when the photographer was shooting photos.

This was grounds for dismissal, IMO. The photos were all over FB.

Unfortunately, the school board decided to keep this unsavory principal. Ugh.

4. froggielegs says:

Board voting and press conference regarding her firing

Must really suck for her having a black man stand up and agree with her being fired.

• John Galt says:

I expect Al Sharpton to designate her as BGI poet laureate.

• BertDilbert says:

Holder has a spot for her on his team.

• LetJusticePrevail" says:

Yes, she will probably join Sharpton’s stable of performers along with Melowese Richardson, $ybrina Fulton and Leslie McSpadden.

• partyzantski says:

So, the so-called “Reverend” Al Sharpton is different from a pimp exactly, how? He has his honeys (and I use the term VERY advisedly) down on the track, collecting variable cheddar in trash bins. He shows them “love” and “risspekt” that they do not get from their otherwise engaged/incarcerated baby daddies.

All this, while they dance gleefully in the blood of their own children (born & unborn), hawking t-shirts and outraged that some suburban kid of different hue has not been sacrificed on the altar of civilization while they reach into every pocket (not theirs) and demand EBT tribute.

Based upon all this, I’d say we lost the “Cold War” and the Godless Commies won by helping America foist this nightmare upon itself. Think of it as a “hair shirt”, followed by self-flagellation at not being subservient enough… on a cultural level.

Black dysfunction is a weapon of mass destruction, and we see its icy hand tear down more and more of what many generations built. In this sense, the “Reverend” Al is nothing more than a cultural termite, gnawing at the support beams that provide it shelter and sustenance. With a certain percentage of the population working at such destructive goals, it is not a question of IF, but WHEN that last support beam gives out.

• lovelyd24 says:

I was so pleased to see Dr. Alfred Ray handle this matter and the press questions in the way he did. I wonder if this nipped her pension in the bud and her health benefits. It certainly will have an impact on her resume.

Kudos to Ducanville School Board

• partyzantski says:

Reason is where you find it. It will be interesting to see what repercussions he may experience as a result of this repulse of BGI energy.

Realistically, there is no way that they could issue this message with anyone but him. It illustrates a refined understanding of the political dynamic, as well as a certain degree of fatalistic cynicism.

Speculate if you will for a moment what exactly it would look like in Texas if a Ferguson-like response developed. It would quickly go non-linear if certain parameters and geography were exceeded.

To wit: http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/A-laid-back-scene-for-White-Oak-hangouts-1683418.php

• LetJusticePrevail" says:

“You can;t quit—-you’re FIRED!”

Should have had Donald Trump deliver that line

5. JustOne says:

That’s one nasty rant. Good riddance.

6. john vi says:

my favorite part of this story is the adsense link to a resource page about workplace harassment laws. thank you adsense 🙂

7. Good, being stupid should hurt.

• canadacan says:

This is one nasty self absorbed woman.
      Don’t let the screen door hit you on the way out.

• jello333 says:

But we should all be GLAD she’s stupid… just stupid enough to put something like that in writing for the world to see. Otherwise there may never have been proof that she is the slime she obviously is…. and has been, long before she posted that. So good thing she IS stupid.

8. Daniel says:

This situation highlights, in my mind a few things. Among them is the value and significance of the BGI to black people, the value and significance of politics, the value and significance of government and how all of this differs greatly from general ideas like “right” “wrong” and “justice.”

This also, by extension, highlights the difference between Federal/Collectivist influence and more local and state level influence.

The BGI is intended not to influence society and culture, but to influence government and policy. The BGI has driven black people largely into government employment and to create government enforced employment laws which favor black people and to support and defend behavior which is more common among black people.

This harms black people tremendously by, instead of discouraging bad behavior and attitude, but by encouraging and supporting it. They grow up believing the government owes them things they are not owed by virtue of their being born black. They feel entitled to jobs and protection within those jobs against their own behaviors. They feel comfortable not being accountable for their own behavior because they believe they will be fiercely protected and defended by the BGI and the cowed government bodies out there.

(The words “Black Priviledge” should come to mind for people following my line of thought)

The BGI doesn’t cow government bodies equally everywhere. That’s what is highlighted here for all to see. And the importance of the local and state governments become increasingly clear and obvious in cases like these. It’s a foregone conclusion by all that this couldn’t have happened in places where federal government influence is heavier and more accepted.

While it’s ‘amusing'(?) to imagine this woman will be employed by the BGI or some clearly leftist-collectivist following organization, for her, it would also require moving geographically because the decision was locally and regionally made. To me, that is very significant.

It’s significant because it highlights the importance of local and state government. It’s significant because while we, the people, feel very powerless when it comes to federal government action, local and state government is far more available to us in terms of influence and involvement.

9. 1hear2learn says:

Way to go Texas, and local school board! Warms my heart to finally see accountability in action.

10. Pamela says:

I love it!

11. Ellie says:

an English teacher no less.

12. ZurichMike says:

She will be suing for damages under some concocted theory that she is a victim of institutionalized racism which caused her to lash out — a hostile work environment per se. Mark my words. I smell a BGI-funded lawsuit.

13. michellc says:

Good, this way it’s part of her permanent record and will make it harder to get another teaching job.

14. starfcker says:

I’m not so sure about this. A twitter outburst and she loses a 20 year career? A week off without pay couldn’t have calmed her down and taught her some self control? Now we are going to get huffy about ‘cracker’? Please. C-word is already taken. I’m from florida, cracker doesn’t cause me to burst into tears or anything. Total overreaction IMHO.

• Wizzum says:

Blacks call each other the N word all the time and take no offence at all. Try it as a white and see how you get on. Goose meet Gander.

• Moishe Pipik says:

A school teacher shouldn’t be encouraging people to kill themselves. That’s what bothered me about it. Suicide is a leading cause of death among young people. I don’t think it was the word “Cracker” that did it.

• Chip Bennett says:

The actionable part of that tweet, IMHO, was “kill yourselves.”

• kathyca says:

I totally agree that she should be fired. BUT, as a parent of tweens/teens I have to say that the phrase “kill yourself/selves” is just social media jargon at this point. Kind of like “fml” and a bunch of others. Personally, I think it started because of all the anti-bullying and suicide prevention focus and the stories about kids actually killing themselves due to cyberbullying. It got to be such a common theme that it turned into a catch phrase. I’m not doing a good job of explaining this, but my point is that it’s not used as a serious threat at all. This person was a HS teacher, and I’m pretty sure she was using it in the same sense her students do.

• yankeeintx says:

I would think that as an English teacher she would know better than using the vernacular of her students. Maybe she should have been doing lessons on how using social media jargon can be detrimental to one’s career goals?

• Chip Bennett says:

That the N-word is used in the common vernacular of a certain demographic does not mean that society as a whole should condone its use. I think the same applies to a directive such as “kill yourselves”.

• kathyca says:

I don’t mean that it should be condoned. I was just pointing out that it IS the common vernacular and isn’t a literal threat. There was plenty else wrong with that tweet, including a HS English teacher’s publicly using “kill yourselves” in the vernacular!

• kathyca says:

I should have said it isn’t literal — since it’s not a threat at all, but a command lol

• wintermaid says:

The use of the phrase demonstrates a total lack of judgement that should cause any employer to take notice.

I’m a former teacher, and teachers are aware that their public behavior needs to be beyond reproach as part of their employment.

• scaretactics says:

“Cracka” is just the tip of the iceberg.

Multiple “f” words.
        “Go kill yourselves ”
        Her extremely hateful attitude towards whites.

Would you want this “teacher” teaching your kids?

• jello333 says:

“Her extremely hateful attitude towards whites.”

To me, THAT is the #1 reason why she should never again be allowed to teach. (Same would go if a white teacher had such attitudes toward blacks.)

“Would you want this ‘teacher’ teaching your kids?”

She would NOT be teaching my kids after this came to light. I would quite simply REFUSE to allow my kids in her classroom (or maybe even in the school where she was teaching).

• Sandra says:

Racism is racism, starfcker. I doubt you’d want a racist teaching your kids. The exact language is unimportant.

• jello333 says:

Are you even considering what it would be like the next time she stepped in front of a classroom? What if some of the kids (likely white ones) felt threatened by her mere presence, or at least now REALLY disliked her, and maybe their parents even refused to allow their kids in her class? And worse than that, what about the kids who might actually DEFEND what she had said? Could you see this maybe causing some really, really serious conflicts in the classroom and school and community? Could you see this maybe leading to VIOLENCE?

No, this is NOT blown out of proportion. The fact that she was a teacher of kids is HUGELY important. Should she lose her pension if she is owed one from past years? NO. But should she ever again be able to teach? Again… NO.

• Lou says:

it does offend me when someone disrespects me. maybe you’re immune or lack self respect.

15. starfcker says:

I’m not condoning this woman’s behavior. Dumb, dumb, dumb, no question. But we rail about the hypersensitivity of the left all the time. If we want to affect good change, we have to lead. Sticks and stones and all that. Chip, you are probably right, but i don’t believe anyone was actually going to kill themselves at this woman’s suggestion. One dumb move and her family just lost a breadwinner. That’s too harsh.

• LetJusticePrevail" says:

So, what you are suggesting is that she should be reinstated?

• lovelyd24 says:

I think it is more than a twitter outburst, who knows what else was brought up in her history. She was at first unapologetic. It is in her contract that she is responsible for her social media behavior. She made racist tweets and told people to kill themselves. A higher standard of public behavior is demanded by her contract. How can she claim to treat white students equally if she hates them for being white. She violated the code of conduct required by her contract, good riddance to at least one race based hater in the classroom.

And telling people to F* off, to kill themselves and calling them the equivalent of nigge* should be grounds for termination, there should be zero tolerance for a person with this kind of vicious hatred having access and power over young white people.

• tnwahm says:

I’ve had a running dialogue ~if you count being called every name in the book dialogue~ with a guy on FB just like this woman. I’m sure this tweet reveals this woman’s heart.

Duncanville is near where my sister lives and where my dh’s sister used to live. It is right outside of Dallas. The racial makeup of Duncanville has changed. It is now majority Hispanic and black. 36% Hispanic: 33% white: 28% black.

• jello333 says:

“How can she claim to treat white students equally if she hates them for being white.”

Exactly. And maybe even more importantly, what about students (probably black ones) who AGREE with her? Just think what would happen if a conflict between two opposing sides of students started because of this woman!

• Sandra says:

starfckr, your standards are too low. People in positions of authority, especially those who instruct and shape our kids, should be held to the highest standards.

• yankeeintx says:

My tax dollars go to pay her salary. If she was a stay-at-home mom, I would feel sorry for her kids, but could care less about her rant. It is the fact that she is paid to teach our children, that made this so abhorrent.

• Ok, let’s look at the behavior through the racial lens and apply the punishment to a white teacher who tweeted about niggers. Now what’s your decision? Should the white teacher lose her job?

• joanfoster says:

No disrespect Starfcker, but I almost want to respond “cry me a river” We have had a United States Senator forced to resign for far, far less than this and not even outwardly racist. Remember Trent Lott and his birthday comments about Strom Thurmond? Just how much turning the other check do you want because frankly, I’m running out of cheeks.

• Would this recent story make you reconsider? Kill Yourself suggest one thing….cracker?…well that can’t be interpreted at being racist? People say a lot of things when ppl make them mad….http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local/young-suicide-victim-an-outstanding-girl-superinte/nhfQF/

• jello333 says:

“Dumb, dumb, dumb, no question.”

“Racist, racist, racist, no question.” There, I fixed it. And no, I’m NOT really even talking about the “kill yourself” part. I fully realize that’s a stupid phrase that’s not (usually) meant to be taken literally. It goes way beyond that. The woman is clearly, CLEARLY a hateful racist. I don’t want her anywhere near kids in a classroom.

16. bitterlyclinging says:

Their goal, as is Comrade Barack’s, is the complete and total destruction of everything white or that has to do with whiteness in American society.
    Doesn’t matter whether its Ferguson, MO, Detroit, Houston, Watts, Newark, or Bed Stuy, the goals the same and there exists a permanent gulf between the two cultures that none can cross.

17. starfcker says:

I’m not suggesting we give her an award. Look, i got my knuckles rapped right here just yesterday for profanity. Rightly so. Should i have been banned? Or is it better to give me the chance to correct course? I can, and i will. I’ve had employees for 30 years. They are never perfect. I have to force behavioral changes on unwilling people all the time. We are all better for it. One sitdown with this woman, and trust me, this problem would have been solved. And she would still have her job, and more importantly, a new perspective.

• tnwahm says:

My guess is that this is not an isolated incident with this woman. I’ve had a running dialogue ~if you can call being called every name in the book a dialogue~ with a person who has this same type of rage. Unless you experience this kind of hatred and rage, you don’t believe that it really exists.

• lovelyd24 says:

But what if she is incapable of changing her perspective? Some people are. Why should white students whose education is being paid for by the good tax payers of the state of Texas be the guinea pigs ? Perhaps she is a racists who has subtly been living out her world view in the classroom. She has crossed a line and told people to kill themselves. Calling people crackers and that you will treat them like niggas doesn’t come out of nowhere.

IMO she is no different than a Klansman, she is just on the other side of the fence, should blacks be comfortable with a klansman teaching their children just because he doesn’t wear his robe to work? Especially and importantly if the Klansman has told black people to kill themselves because he was “caught up in the moment?” Words have consequences, ignorances has consequences, she has said some things that cannot be unsaid, and she must live with the consequences of her being unable to control herself.

Every hear the saying “An angry man’s words are a happy man’s thoughts.” Her words telling folks who disagree with her to kill themselves IMO mean she has no business in the classroom.

And there is a huge difference between using coarse language on a board dedicated to politics when you are an anonymous poster than there is to posting the vitriol which Vinita Hegwood posted knowing that she would and should be held accountable for her words by those who hired her.

• You really think you can excise racism with a sit down? You certainly think a lot of your management skills.

• wintermaid says:

I doubt it. I’m a former teacher, an this type of behavior shows a lak of judgement, I don’t think she has the right temperament for teaching. IMHO, she must have had a history of these types of issues, and this very public display was the last straw.

• jello333 says:

Oh come on. Your little slip yesterday was no big deal… and would NEVER get you banned all by itself… and more importantly it says little to nothing about the type of person you are. So NO WAY should you compare that to what this woman has done. She has shown the whole world what she IS… what is in her heart and soul. So no, a little “sitdown” with her would change nothing. Oh it might make her super, super careful from now on what she says. But it would change NOTHING on the inside. She would still be what she IS, and every student that sits in front of her (and the parents of those students) would know what she IS. She has, quite simply, made herself INCAPABLE of ever again teaching kids in a classroom.

18. starfcker says:

If she is incapable of changing her perspective, you fire her. Reread the article. Doesn’t seem to be the case. She seems both contrite and interspective. Apologized for embarrassing the district, called her comments emotional and impulsive. Think of this woman as somebody’s mom who got a little overexcited with herself and hadn’t really thought all this out. We all do this. Hard to see her as part of something bigger

• Except that it wasn’t impulsive, as that tweet was one of many over a period of time. Several tweets included hateful slurs against white students.
      I’m quite sure the school board had access to them all. Put together, it’s quite clear this was exactly who she is. A racist, vulgar, philthy mouthed, pathetic excuse for an educator of children.

• I have one word for you: lying. Just like a kid who is caught doing something they shouldn’t the first impulse is to lie. She’s not contrite. And her lawyer probably wrote the apology for her.

• lovelyd24 says:

She is fighting to salvage a career and possibly her pension so I would expect her to sound “contrite and introspective” she is also an English teacher so she should be good with linguistic gymnastics and saying what she thinks need to be said to salvage her career.

There is more than one post showing ignorant, hateful, racist leanings. She only became “contrite and introspective” after she was in danger of losing her job. Thanks but I don’t need to reread the article I have read enough twisted words justifying bad behavior and read enough about perpetrators conveniently finding Jesus while in the spotlight. I’m not buying her contrition. I don’t use the N* word when I am angry with black people (or ever), I have never told someone to kill themselves. Those things are indicative of a very large character flaw.

Suicide is the third cause of death for teenagers, #1) Ms Hegwood has an obligation to know this #2) Ms Hegwoods words are egregious enough that IMO she has no business having any position of authority over white students and in an ideal world would have no influence over black students #3) Ms. Hegwood is contractually obligated not to make such vitriolic postings #4) Self control is a sign of the civilized.

• jello333 says:

She got CAUGHT. She’s contrite and introspective the same way Michael Vick was.

19. starfcker says:

Lovelyd24, i like the points you make. She’s trying to salvage her career. Yes. That’s exactly what anyone with a brain should be doing. We all screw up. She has a lot to lose. Sobering moment for her. I’ve watched lots of people in her position. Self control is civilized. No question. But it’s learned behavior, and cost/benefit is how it’s learned. She has no business around white students. That’s a little crazy. You don’t know any black people really well. None of them see the world as we would like them to. Take all the fury out of it for a moment, black and white are as different as male and female. In the best of circumstances they are different. Different experiences. Words don’t have power unless you choose to let them. I don’t choose that. I’m not defending her behavior. She got out of control on twitter. Yawn. I would have sent her home for a week. That’s why we have probation instead of just the death penalty

• joanfoster says:

No, to answer your question, she has no business around white students. With her attitude, vulgarity and racial lens, do you honestly believe that she could be an impartial teacher practicing equity and fairness with all of her students regardless of race or ethnicity? I would concur, however, if she would mandated to take sensitivity training like the ridiculous ones to which we have seen so many white employees of government and industry relegated.

20. lovelyd24 says:

Hi Starfcker,

Since you addressed me I will answer you as best I can.

Ms. Hegwood’s contrition must be viewed with the idea of secondary gain in mind so for me it is not an arbitrating factor, that is why her trying to salvage her career must be seen as something more than what anybody with a brain would do. The sincerity of her contrition is questionable in my mind given her words and her support of a thug who attacked and tried to disarm a police officer.

No one knows if it has been a sobering moment for Ms. Hegwood or not, my best guess, is that it is not.

I believe someone who can lose their temper and tell crackers to go kill themselves has no business having authority over said crackers. You are welcome to view that as crazy.

You don’t know anything about whether or not I know any black people really well so that is an ignorant statement to make.

Words have power that is not debatable. There is a reason you can’t yell fire in a crowded theater. To say that you don’t choose to allow words to have power is a bit simplistic. We as individuals can not allow other peoples words to hurt us or have power over us, but words have power and consequences. Ms. Hegwood is facing the consequences of the power of her words.

Words reveal who we are, I am pleased that the school board did not “yawn” when they heard of Ms. Hegwood’s racist, vulgar remarks.

21. lovelyd24 says:

That should read mitigating factor not arbitrating factor.

22. starfcker says:

I’m fine with everyone who disagrees with me, again, i am not defending her. I don’t think the heavy duty punishment fits the lapse in judgement, which i don’t consider than horrible. She has opinions i don’t agree with, fine. That’s her right. She let some of them get loose. She should pay a price for that, no question. I doubt she has any good options, she is now faced with no possible way to replace the income stream she just lost. It is a delicious moment indeed, to see the shoe on the other foot for a change. But let’s not get carried away. Did john derbyshire deserve to lose his gig? Or jimmy the greek? Follow me around with a videocamera for a couple of days, or hack into my calls or emails, and, while it certainly would be colorful and entertaining, i would be banned from ever speaking in public. Actions speak louder than words. Peace

• Lou says:

it’s a thought crime if that’s what you’re trying to say. with that said, I know the Miami Fire Department tweeter did eventually get his job back, but every liberal media outlet kept saying he’s a PUBLIC worker. same applies. this is a lot worse than we he said.

• art tart says:

starfcker ~ why would you think “she is now faced with no possible way to replace the income stream she just lost.”

I respectfully disagree. She’s an educated black woman/will easily find a job replacing her lost income, being a minority& a woman, there’s always quotas to be met somewhere. Granted, she won’t find a job working 9 months out of the year w/her summers off, plus, at 20 yrs. on the job she will be able to draw her teachers retirement & work at her new job. She wasn’t convicted of a crime & can still draw her retirement.

As someone who has worked in the school system, it’s damn hard to get rid of sorry/incompetent teachers, I’m glad to see this school district step up to address this spiteful/racist teacher. Like it or not, teachers are supposed to lead by example, this teacher led by spewing hate w/her racist behavior, something high school kids nor any school age children need to be exposed to.

• lovelyd24 says:

Peace Starfcker, I just wanted to address your points head on since you took the time to make them.

The difference between the firing of Jimmy the Greek, John Derbyshire and Anita Hegwood is that both Jimmy and John were fired by private businesses whose obligation is to their bottom line, which means they did a cost analysis and both Jimmy and John were deemed inefficient money makers because of the words they used. One in an interview and one in an article. Do I think that they should have been fired because of their remarks? I think that was for the free market to decide. Do I agree with the political reasoning for their firing? Absolutely not but this is the world that political correctness has created. Do I think that their firings were politically motivated? Yes. Do I think that is right? No.

As a public servant, Anita Hegwood is held to a higher standard as she is asking people to entrust their children to her, the children under her watch cannot choose to not be in her classroom, Jimmy and John’s viewers/readers could have chosen to drop a subscription or not watch a channel.

Whereas Jimmy and Jonn’s firings were politically motivated I believe that Hegwood’s firing was based on a breach of contract due to her racist, vulgar and tasteless remarks.

23. starfcker says:

I guess this is what separates us from the animals. Every person who answered here passionately disagrees with me on this subject, yet not one of you resorted to name calling or any other dismissive sort of thing. It’s a fair fight. Shake hands and come out swinging. That’s how the game should be played. And it’s much more interesting than a pile on. Happy saturday.

• joanfoster says:

If I were the school supt., the twitter post beginning “who the F**K, would be enough to cause me to fire someone on my staff most especially someone who taught English. How do you begin to raise the standards among young people who use social media and believe that any word goes without exception when their own teacher is using this kind of language. Kudos to the school board.