GOLETA, Calif. — The father of a young man gunned down Friday during the rampage in Santa Barbara said he is asking members of Congress to stop calling him to offer condolences but nothing more for the death of his only child, Christopher Michaels-Martinez.

“I don’t care about your sympathy. I don’t give a s— that you feel sorry for me,” Richard Martinez said during an extensive interview, his face flushed as tears rolled down his face. “Get to work and do something. I’ll tell the president the same thing if he calls me. Getting a call from a politician doesn’t impress me.”

Saying “we are all to blame” for the death of his 20-year-old son, Martinez urged the public join him in demanding “immediate action” from members of Congress and President Obama to curb gun violence by passing stricter gun-control laws.

“Today, I’m going to ask every person I can find to send a postcard to every politician they can think of with three words on it: Not one more,” he said Tuesday morning. “People are looking for something to do. I’m asking people to stand up for something. Enough is enough.”

Martinez, 60, a who works as a criminal defense lawyer, vaulted into the spotlight on Saturday when he crashed a Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Department news conference where deputies were spelling out the grim details of the knifing and shooting attacks by Elliot Rodger that killed six people and ended with the 22-year-old assailant shooting himself.  (read more)

This entry was posted in 2nd Amendment, Dem Hypocrisy, media bias, Potus Gun Ban, propaganda, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized, wobbly word alert. Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to Father of California Victim From Eliot Rodger’s Shooting Spree Says “We Are All To Blame” For Not Passing Tougher Gun Laws…

1. Moishe Pipik says:

I am not to blame.

I usually don’t get angry at the comments from a grieving parent. But for others who echo this sentiment: HOW DARE YOU.

• dws says:

Yup. I said the same thing when I heard what this man said. How dare he. How many others would he sentence to death through his irresponsible words. How dare he. And it takes a lot for me to say anything when a grieving parent speaks, but really, how dare he.

• The All Real Numbers Symbol says:

+10000000. Yes. Just…yes.

• Brendan says:

I actually don’t think he’s wrong that we are all, in a sense, to blame. Especially those of us who AREN’T writing to politicians, etc. I haven’t done enough. I’m the first to admit that I *am* part of the problem, even if it’s through my own inaction. It may seem crazy, but I understand this man’s sentiments, despite how angry it is making everyone else. I don’t think the focus should be on gun control to the exclusion of all other factors, though. I think that’s too limited. Everything needs more of our attention, including (and especially) mental illness.

• rovatek says:

Turning your sons death into an anti-gun rant is about as classy as protesting homosexuality at funerals.

• FairWitness says:

I realize his indictment of society is irrational. This man is in shock, enraged at the violent death of his child. The murder of his son is going to take him years to process & accept. I don’t like his reaction, but I understand it. I’m going to forgive him. He just lost his child.

2. ctdar says:

I feel sorry for this man or any parent that lost a child to Rogers but he needs to put the blame on the killer and police for not doing a thorough job in vetting Rogers when they had their opportunity after the parents and therapist called them weeks before.

• froggielegs says:

There is nothing the police could have done when they went to his home. They had no legal basis to do anything more than what they did. All they can do is talk to the person and see if he fits the criteria for a 5150. In this case he didn’t. He showed himself not to be a danger to himself or others. They can’t arrest or hold anyone for uploading a video on youtube saying they hate people. It wasn’t his day of retribution video he uploaded at that time it was the other ones where he talked about hating girls for not giving him sex. The parents and or the therapist should of filed for a 5200 judicial hold on him but they didn’t. The blame belongs with the therapist and family who saw the videos and knew of his mental state. They and only they could of had him involuntarily committed.

• ctdar says:

In this day and age very difficult if not impossible to commit adults whether it be your child or your own parent.
        The police should have listened to the parents and therapist and
        questioned him more intensely rather than a simple interview at his home. Did they even ask if there were any firearms in the house?

• froggielegs says:

Being as it was California, it would of been much easier for the parents and therapists to get a 5200 judicial hold placed on him than it was for the cops to get a 5150. They are not allowed to use a 5150 based on parents or others have said. Only by what they observe at the time. It doesn’t matter if they asked if he had guns. He most likely would of lied anyway.

• mikayla825 says:

I can personally attest that this is true in not only in California but especially in Santa Barbara County. I’m about 60 miles north of Isla Vista. This Sheriff’s Department has been pretty inconsistent with how they deal with the mental illness of the homeless population as well. I lost a friend from high school to the poor state of affairs in SB county regarding the mentally ill.

• LHLaredo says:

I hate to disagree with you “froggielegs”, but your analysis towards responsibility is in the realm of Mr. Martinez delusion that the gun was the culprit, when in fact the “killer” was the one who committed the crime using any means he had to inflict the carnage. To say that LEO was restrained in his action, is ludicrous and give you some examples, all of which you can probably find on the internet. First, a neighbor calls the police, and claims to believe there’s some domestic or child abuse going on next door, it’s a given that they will show up in force and remove someone. Second, police get’s an anonymous call, that someone is selling drugs, you know the outcome for this. And Lastly, http://www.kgns.tv/news/headlines/UISD-Student-Investigation-258141661.html, a facebook compaint and wallo. Now analyze, this three situations and find a common denominator for the different actions of LEO, simple prejudice and hero complex.
        On this three cases they have already assumed the class of individual they are going to interact with, which might be frustrated and agitated and the opportunity to do something good (hero complex) is probable. Now this guy, was clean cut, nice spoken and in all likelihood in a prominent residential area, LEO’s assumption might had been assumed of over protecting parents and outward presentation of confrontation to respond to and reward them in their interaction with him. See my point, if the killer would had said “F Y Leave me Alone”, they would had kick his door down faster that you can say, ” Oh he has his constitutional rights.”

• froggielegs says:

This case has nothing to do with what cops do in other scenarios or in other states. In this case, the mother saw the videos (not the retribution one), she then calls Elliot’s counselor/therapist/Dr which ever she/he is, who then in turn calls the State Mental health HOTLINE to have cops do a wellness check on Elliot. The State Mental health hotline then calls cops. The cops go, they ask him questions, they follow the law regarding 5150, They decide that given his actions, answers, mannerism etc, he does not fit the criteria for a 5150. They leave and contact his mother and let her know he is fine.

Ironically in Elliot’s manifesto he says his mother watched the videos and was disturbed by them. Obviously she mentioned this to him for him to know and write about her reaction but she wasn’t disturbed enough to have his counselor/therapist/Dr file a 5200 on him which would of been a judicial hold (court ordered) on him. The only people who failed in this entire case is Elliot’s parents and his mental health care professional. They are the only ones who knew what Elliot was like.

This has nothing to do with gun control, what weapons he used, how many videos he uploaded or what the cops did or didn’t do when they went and did a wellness check on him. This has everything to do with his parent’s pointing fingers at everyone else so that they can walk away feeling good about themselves. They suck as parents! They raised this mentally messed up, self absorbed, spoiled little rich kid. His actions are due to their inaction.

• Anne says:

I believe the parents were afraid of their own son, Eliot. They both knew Eliot was a disturbed kid and delusional. I have a feeling he had aimed some screaming threats in their direction over the years. They wanted police wellness check and experienced mental health counselors to assess situation afraid of what they might find. I am confused about timeline of when mother of Eliot saw the video and became concerned and time police and counselors came on scene.

• partyzantski says:

Let us see this from the cop’s point of view. Any cops, please chime in.
      I suspect that they went through the motions of “interviewing” the little monster, and understanding that people like his so-called “father” would have their jobs if they did the full court press.
      So, perhaps it was the father and his damnable privilege who brought this about. The cops interviewing the kid likely had an idea who he was. I suspect that a person with such issues is not and was not unknown to the police. Will any of those records see the light of day? Prolly not.

• yadent says:

As one who has worked with hundreds of LEO’s and has a sibling who is an officer of 20+ years standing, a cop’s job, his PRIMARY job, is to uphold and enforce the law. If in doing so it prevents a crime then that would be considered a bonus. Again, their #1 job is to uphold and enforce, NOT to prevent and protect. If one doesn’t believe this then consider this, an officer is armed for one reason only—for self-defense. Not for your protection or mine but for their own. They are under no legal obligation to draw their weapon for any other purpose. Uphold, enforce, and self-defense. That’s all they are legally obligated to do.

• Chip Bennett says:

Just thinking out loud and off-the-cuff here. Why would the police be called/sent to do a “welfare check” in the first place? If the family feared for the mental state of their son, shouldn’t they be taking him to a psychiatrist/psychologist? Or were they merely giving lip-service to what should have been genuine concerns about him, by throwing the issue over the wall to the police, who would have no reasonable suspicion of unlawful activity, and therefore would be unable to act?

• froggielegs says:

Exactly Chip!! The mother saw his videos (not the retribution one) and according to Elliot’s manifesto, she was disturbed when she watched them. According to police, the mother then called Elliot’s counselor/therapist/doctor (not sure which it is) and he/she called the State Mental Health Hotliine! The Hotline in turn called the local police to do a wellness check on him. If the mother was so disturbed by the videos, why did the counselor/therapist/doctor only call the Hotline?? Why did they not use their authority to get a 5150 or even a 5200??? Instead, they pushed it on to the cops who are not mental health care professionals. So they go there, ask him questions to determine his state of mind. They see him as being OK because they don’t have his mental history staring at him. So now they are to blame for all this happening. For missing the opportunity. I call BS on it!

• LHLaredo says:

I hate to be a butt about this, but if you go out there and promote that “If you see something or hear something” and then justify the tax burden upon us, with the wow factor of being our “First and Last Defense,” leaves them without any latitude of not having to bear responsibility or accountability. The notion that “we failed to connect the dots,” was the catalyst, which ended up costing thousands of lives and couple of wars, the last time. There is simply no excuse from anybody, parents, friends, roommates, physiatrist and law enforcement to say, “we wish we could had done more.”

3. aliashubbatch says:

I’m not to blame for your idiot son’s actions. Hell, I’m not getting any, and I’m not shooting up anyone over it.

4. Chip Bennett says:

I’m not to blame. I didn’t shoot your child. I didn’t create the monster capable of shooting your child. And had I been there, I would have been helpless to prevent the shooting of your child, because the state of California would have unconstitutionally disarmed me.

Elliot Rodger is responsible for the death of your child. Elliot Rodger’s parents (and the police who blew off a report of mental instability) are negligently culpable for the death of your child.

We don’t need more gun laws; we need enforcement of extant laws. And we need meaningful, proper treatment of the mentally unstable. The net that would normally have caught someone like Elliot Rodger was deliberately cut by progressives decades ago, under the guise of politically incorrect labeling and treatment of the dangerously mentally unstable.

• Moishe Pipik says:

“And we need meaningful, proper treatment of the mentally unstable”

Careful! They’ll just raise our taxes for a national mental health care network.

• michellc says:

I was in grade school when I got my first gun, even younger when I shot my first gun. I’ve never shot one person. I have 3 adult children, they all own guns and they’ve never shot one person. I also raised them in a Christian home and taught them Christian values, so they have never harmed a single person nor have they made you tubes whining how unfair life is. Probably because along with those Christian values, anytime in their life they muttered the words, “not fair,” they were told nobody every promised you life would be fair, live with it.
      So put the blame where it lies and frankly I’m sick of tiptoeing around it, these young men are the product of the parents who bought into “it takes a village.” These parents instead of parenting fed the, “poor is me bs, and allowed others to teach values to their children or heck maybe they’re the same values they agreed with, but especially this kid, didn’t teach him any Christian values. In all of his videos and all of his writings not once did he mention God.
      So frankly if you want to start with the blaming, blame the same people who doesn’t allow God in our schools. Then follow along to the parents who follow their own desires, instead of God’s desires, the doctors and teachers who teach kids it’s all about them and their feelings and the people who turned guns into scary objects that go around killing everyone.

• “We don’t need more gun laws; we need enforcement of extant laws.”

And let’s outlaw candlelight vigils, piles of teddy bears and flowers. These have become Hallmark occasions. I’m sure they’ll come out with an appropriate card very soon.
      Why aren’t they going after all the ILLEGAL guns in the black urban ghettos?? Because they’re political cowards and moral midgets.
      Need to outlaw knives,too – as they have largely done in England.
      ————————————–
      “And we need meaningful, proper treatment of the mentally unstable…”

Amen. But first we’d have to refurbish and reopen all the mental institutions we closed in the 1960s thanks to JFK’s short-sighted ‘vision’ about “community care” – one of those unfunded mandates cynically pushed off on the state and locals. A farce.

If we’re going to regulate something, how about parental supervision of all those death and violence games, particularly WoW…

Notice this is another kid with divorced parents who had high-powered jobs. Or maybe I’m getting the parents of victims and perp confused. They are cookie-cutter “families”

The perp obviously had a brain disorder and a swollen sense of entitlement. Wash, rinse, repeat. White boys of a certain age and upbringing who have too many things and yet are poverty-stricken emotionally.

Notice that the black kids are mostly existing in a PTSD world while the white kids are in *their* own cocoon. Disarming either one would be a band-aid on a tumor.

5. SoonerBoomer says:

I too usually don’t get angry at the comments from grieving parents, but maybe its the PARENTS fault, not US!!!!!!
    The guy, Eliot Rodger, drove a BMW. Where’d he get that? Did the kid have a job. Was he a responsible person? No, it was given to him, probably like every think else in his life.
    They already have said he watched video games, the kind that I wouldn’t let my kids watch.
    I SAY, ITS THE PARENTS FAULT!!!! He wasn’t taught any morals..
    That parent is as much to blame as the kid.

• Moishe Pipik says:

That’s what I meant several days ago when I blamed “Idolatry” and their materialistic Hollywood lifestyle and subculture. It’s toxic.

• nyetneetot says:

I think it’s broader than that. I think it’s the end result of over a hundred years of the encroachment of Marxism. “Idolatry” has been with us from the beginning. Marxism offers dreams of vengeance from time immemorial. Humiliation of all who are stronger and better than the multitude. Due to all these years of influence and mandatory progressive public schooling, even those who emphatically declare themselves anti-Marxists, think entirely on Marxist lines and have adopted Marx’s arbitrary, unconfirmed and easily refutable dogmas.

• Lou says:

ehhh, he was 22. at 13 I was a man in the Jewish religion. at 18, I was serving my country in Western Europe.

6. I’m not to blame for the shooting deaths, because I don’t have a gun, but I do use knives a lot when I’m cooking. Does that qualify me?

7. I’m for a lot tougher gun laws! Everyone 21 and over should be required to be packing a handgun.

8. ensitue says:

When in doubt always follow the Progressive

9. justafly says:

Guaranteed a liberal got to him and coached him on what to say and how to say it. It is not beyond the character of those low-lifes to use another incident to their advantage.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley,
    raped and strangled with her pantyhose,  is somehow morally
    superior to a  woman explaining to police how her attacker
    got that fatal bullet wound.

10. Kairn says:

One wonders what this father would be demanding had his son been one of the three unfortunate stabbing victims.

11. Lou says:

I must be a mean person inside because as soon as I heard him say that I stopped feeling empathy for him. How much you want to bet he joins Sybrina Fulton on her mission, and they come up with the “it doesn’t matter if you’re black, white, we’re all red inside” line?

12. kadar2012 says:

Let’s compromise. Liberals love to compromise over gun control.

Here is the deal:

You want magazine restrictions. I want only firearm owners be allowed to talk about gun control.
    You want enhanced background checks? I want voter ID.
    You want training? I want you to have a Constitution class to be eligible to vote.
    You want to ban “assault rifles”? I want to allow the police to search your house without warrant at any time, day or night.
    You want to ban handguns? I want that you can not use the 5A.
    (the later of each only applies to liberal non-owning firearm people)

• The All Real Numbers Symbol says:

I dunno. that sounds good to me! except for allowing the cops to search without a warrant. Don’t need that part…

13. jello333 says:

No dude. I feel sorry for you, your son, and your family. And I know that it’s only natural to look for someone to blame at times like this. But you’re blaming the wrong people, the wrong thing. And this case is a better example than most that it’s mostly NOT about the guns. The guy who killed your son used not only a gun, but a knife and a car as weapons. It seems that he would have used ANYTHING at his disposal. If he set his sights on your son, he was gonna get him one way or another.

And beyond that, Elliot Rodger was totally PSYCHO, moreso than most other mass murderers I’ve seen. Watching his video it almost seemed like he was auditioning for a part in a movie…. POORLY auditioning in some kind of C-movie. I continue to be stunned that the person who filmed himself saying those words, and doing what seemed to be a terrible job of acting, was for real.

So be angry if you want, but blame the right people: Blame Elliot, blame the parents if they didn’t try to intervene soon enough, and blame cops or others who may have known about this guy’s psychosis but did nothing.

14. Rachelle says:

I keep wondering what role psychiatric drugs play in these murders. So often the perpetrators are on SSRI medication and commit suicide after killing others.

“An analysis of clinical trials in patients under age 18 found that SSRIs raised the risk of suicidal thinking when compared with a placebo. Many studies have followed, and although results vary, there is a consistent trend. When compared with a placebo, all antidepressants, including SSRIs, seem to double the risk of suicidal thinking,” http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/What_are_the_real_risks_of_antidepressants.htm

It isn’t a big stretch to go from suicide to murder/suicide, and there has been evidence that these drugs also promote violent behavior.

This particular type of group murder by young people was unheard of in the years before these drugs were prescribed.

15. Annie says:

As anyone who suddenly lost their child, his grief is deep and just about unbearable; but his reasoning is wrong because it is his emotions speaking at this point.

16. Loto says:

There are laws against murder. Did that stop it?
    Guns are illegal in Mexico.
    Is anyone ever shot there?
    I know the man is hurting but there is no one to blame but his son.
    Sorry if the truth hurts.

• LHLaredo says:

Lotto, you’re misinformed “Guns are illegal in Mexico”, as a matter of fact Mexican’s have a solid constitutional right to own a gun, whether the citizenry is oblivious to their rights is another matter. Their constitution dictates that every Mexican has the right to own a gun within their home and clearly dictates the limitations of such right to firearms, without any leeway for the state to interpret that right. The framers of their constitution considered it a sacred right of the people, who held a national resentment in the inability in defending themselves against every other empire, including ours. Unlike our constitution, in which we are always reminded, “It’s a living document” to be interpreted and usually devalued in it’s fortitude of our God given rights.

17. jwoop66 says:

I had sympathy for him until I read that he said, “i’m not against guns…I grew up hunting…etc, but do we need these assault weapons?!”

That is when I lost all sympathy for him. He knows damn well it wasn’t an “assault” weapon that killed his kid, but he is eager to jump into the spotlight to condemn them. He is vile.

18. Dean says:

Believe me this man is very arrogant and enjoys the pompous sound of his own voice.

• dongha68 says:

He’s a defence attorney, so yes he likes the sound of his own voice. Acording to his grandmother he has been in therapy since age 8. in high school in daily therapy sessions, on psych drugs which he refuses to take. And for this hypocrate father, how many violent and murdering clients did he get off.

19. lovemygirl says:

Like many, I too felt anger when I read his words. When I read more of his statement, he dismissed all blame and made excuses for his parents, his mental illness, the mental health industry, our laws and the police. His target? The NRA. As Bugs Bunny would say, “What a maroon”.

20. casparweinburger says:

As a non-American, what are some gun reforms that conservatives might agree with, or are all gun reform proposals unnecessary in the eyes of conservatives?

• yadent says:

As one speaking for myself, the right to life logically requires the right to defend that life otherwise the right to life has no meaning. Any weapons ‘reform’ proposals that don’t curtail one iota the above mentioned rights would be acceptable. And no, the government is not responsible for your right to life nor protecting that right otherwise one could sue the government for failure to prevent murders.

• casparweinburger says:

Sure, I can appreciate the right to protect oneself 100% — no argument from me. It is one of the great things about America. I was just wondering what reforms the liberals propose are agreeable to conservatives.

• Chip Bennett says:

Liberals (Progressives) don’t want to solve the underlying problems.

It was the progressives who threw open the doors of the mental institutions, leading to prisons being filled to capacity with the mentally unstable – the same mentally unstable who account for a large proportion of our homeless, and who walk among us like ticking time bombs.

It was the progressives who declared it “politically incorrect” to identify the mentally unstable, and who made it more difficult to institutionalize them, where they might get the help they need.

It was progressives who have pushed mass-doping of our youth with psychotropic drugs, the long-term effects of which are only now being observed/identified.

Progressives don’t want to solve the underlying issue of essentially every mass shooting/killing/attack on our soil – psychosis – and instead take every opportunity to politicize tragedy in a singular effort to deprive the law-abiding of their natural rights as-protected by the second amendment.

• Chip Bennett says:

Number One: Ensure that States are vigilant in promptly and fully reporting the list of people adjudicated as mentally incompetent to NICS, so that such people can’t pass background checks.

Number Two: perhaps provide some means of temporary adjudication, so that people like Elliot Rodger can be identified by his family, and barred from purchasing guns while being treated.

Guns aren’t the problem. Mentally unstable people are the problem. Restricting the freedoms of law-abiding citizens will accomplish nothing (except leave them defenseless when psychos like Elliot Rodger go on a stabbing/shooting/car-assault rampage).

21. yadent says:

What’s maddening is that the ‘laws’ that this individual is asking for at the FEDERAL level would not have mattered here in CA as we already have some of the toughest weapons laws on the books. He also diminishes the tragedy of those stabbed and run down by his focus on ‘guns’. I understand his grief and wanting to find a reason for this tragedy, but it appears he had an agenda/fixed opinion long before this event.

22. casparweinburger says:

I feel bad for the Canadian that was stabbed to death. Did he have the legal right to own a gun to protect himself? As a visitor to the US, I want the same rights to protect myself with a gun that Americans enjoy. Crazy people don’t care about your passport.

23. Burnt Toast says:

Sorry Bud, lost all sympathy when you lashed out against innocent people nation-wide with your desire to render them defenseless against the same sort of criminal that killed your son.

Do I hear that you are going to now actively go out and campaign against the civil right to defend oneself?

If true, at best, (as said above) you are one who subscribes to the theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.
    More typically, just your average authoritarian thug taking vengeance on others.

24. Moroni Breitbart says:

I am not to blame to intellectual boob! The young man’s parents are to blame…just like most if not all liberals who desperately try to be their children’s ‘friends’ instead of PARENTS! Godless morons breading is where the blame should be placed!

25. Paladin13 says:

The dad is upset but he’s a hypocrite. He’s a criminal defense lawyer. How many criminals did he get off or have served reduced sentences and then go out and commit havoc in our communities?

• socaljeff says:

My thoughts exactly!…I am glad someone had the balls to say it. And what about knife control? The first three victims were killed with a knife.

26. Ifoundyourcrustysock says:

The moment I saw criminal defense attorney Martinez, I knew the spew. The jacket is nearly always used as a prop. “Get to work”- oh, boy. Hints abound. Mr. Martinez, I’m not
    responsible for what happened to your son. The village is your Marxist dream. If you made mention of a war against Cutco and Wusthof, I’d pay more heed to your dangerous rants.

As for the uniformed personnel in the khaki and green, I’m disgusted. I’ve never seen so many muffin tops outside a bakery. How the heck did that happen? Bill Brown ran at the behest of the DSA against then sheriff Jim Anderson. Brown has always been the DSA puppet. There’s no excuse for half your cops looking like that. I was further put off by the lame but unsurprising platitudes uttered about his officers. I saw red flags all over that one. Their IT department is not an office with two or three cubicles. It’s huge. The cops have computers in their units. But no one did a search for social media accounts or participation of online forums? Why is that. It’s a lack of concern. It doesn’t generate money. It can’t be used to garner more funding next year. Lastly, the students are only useful when it comes to their votes. Other than that, the students and their parents are viewed with contempt.

The Rodgers have much to answer for. I’m not buying any of their PR manuevers. This whole thing stinks- just like it did when Attias was here. At the very least, they could’ve winnowed the money stream and used it as a means to move him closer to home. As a City College student, he had no need to live in IV. SBCC is also on the water and is surrounded by available housing. His parents, if they gave a damn, should have insisted their housing money be spent on the mesa where SBCC is located. IV is ten miles further north. And, the car. What in the world. It did nothing to aid their son’s troubled mind.

27. someoneinnorthms says:

I really hate to say this, but it appears that the death of Richard Martinez’s son is the best thing that ever happened to his burgeoning political career. He’d be just like so many before–using a personal tragedy to transform his pet political ideologies into campaign slogans.