2-19 George Zimmerman Case – Open Discussion Thread

Use this thread as an open thread just for Zimmerman Case stuff. A place to just dump, collect, or discuss general information about the Trayvon Martin VS George Zimmerman Case.

“The sensationalized, fact-deficient coverage of this case has achieved the
desired results. The networks got their ratings. The politicians got their
talking points. And if it means innocent people get caught in the middle of the
racial enmity they’ve fomented, obviously it’s considered acceptable collateral
damage.
Congratulations, geniuses. Job well done. Jim Treacher, The DC Trawler

REMINDER – Please WATCH THE TONE and CONTENT of Commentary. Please be respectful, courteous and considerate of other readers and contributors. Please avoid hatespeak, angry rhetoric, vulgarity, personal attacks and condescension. If you wish to engage in vitriolic, racist, or bitter angry rhetoric, there are alternative sites on the internet more than welcoming to such considerations. But not here. Thank You.

This entry was posted in George Zimmerman Open Thread, Trayvon Martin, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to 2-19 George Zimmerman Case – Open Discussion Thread

1. rumpole2 says:

Daily Daft Posts From Justarse Quest

Today just a plain old daft post.

A fanciful scenario based on…. Nothing

(Since today’s daftness does not relate to the GZ case per se I will post the examples in a RT Members only thread)

Random Topics GZ Case Discussion

………………………………… photo cockatoo_zpsd358cb24.gif…………………………………..
    If only Trayvon had kept his hands in his pockets, none of this would have happened.

2. brutalhonesty says:

defending trayvons actions is a threat to all white people.
    connecting 2 stories:
    ST. LOUIS, MO. The teenager shot and killed by a homeowner while allegedly breaking into the man’s house had been in the news before. In fact, FOX2 has learned, he was once charged in the case that made the phrase “knockout game” common in St. Louis.
    Demetrius Murphy, 15, died Friday morning after he and another teen, Michael Bryant, allegedly tried to break into a man’s home on Tennessee. Police say the homeowner emerged with a gun. Bryant ran, but they say Murphy confronted him and was shot and killed.
    When it happened, the ears of Matt Quain perked up. It was back in 2011 that Quain and a friend were walking along Grand, returning from a “beer run” to Schnucks, when they say a group of teens jumped them. Quain was beaten badly, suffering neck injuries and a broken jaw. He was discovered bleeding in the street by Mayor Francis Slay and his security guard.
    Murphy, just thirteen at the time, was the one identified by Quain as his attacker. Sources tell Fox 2 that Murphy was headed to trial in the “knockout game” case,

more on that case:
    Leyshock took stock of the young man in his office. The kid looked 17 or 18. He was stocky, his hair cut in short dreadlocks. He wore a hooded sweatshirt.
    On Oct. 21, Matt Quain, 52, a dishwasher, was severely beaten in a knockout assault on South Grand Boulevard. The mayor helped rescue him. Seven middle schoolers, some as young as 12, were arrested. Then, at a juvenile court hearing in January, the main witness, a 13-year-old classmate of the defendants, failed to show up. The case was tossed out.
    The target was picked at random, an older man just walking past. Two boys, ages 12 and 13, ran up from behind and ‘simultaneously punched him on either side of his face,” noted the police report. Three other boys — one was 12, the other two were 14 — then began punching and kicking the man, too. The girl’s classmate ran across the street and joined in, along with a 14-year-old boy. The victim collapsed. The teens walked away.

The 13-year-old witness never showed.
    Wenstrom heard a roar in the hallway. It sounded like cheering. “I was almost sick to my stomach,” he says. For Tina Vence, a defendant’s mother, it was the right outcome. She was certain her child was innocent. So was Sonia Womack, another defendant’s mother. “My heart goes out to him,” she said of the victim, “but they need to get the right people that did it.”
    The defendants flocked to Facebook to announce their freedom. “Yeaaa immm home somebody call mee,” one wrote.
    “We out here … who mad,” wrote another.
    Slay said he believed the 13-year-old witness was intimidated into skipping court.
    Bolstering the notion was a Facebook posting by a defendant’s mother on Nov. 17. She wrote that the 13-year-old girl already was missing — “thats a good thing.”
    Five days after the hearing, the 13-year-old witness took to Facebook to respond to teasing that she had ratted out her friends “because they were playing knock out.”
    The girl insisted, using online slang, that she was not helping police: “I worked byy myy mff self…”
    In late January, the witness’s mother told the Post-Dispatch in a brief interview that her daughter was never missing, but people had been “threatening her.”

“We have to live where we stay,” she said. “I’m not going to jeopardize my child.”

Despite her misgivings, the mother said it was “lies” that they intended to skip court.

Wenstrom didn’t blame the young witness. Leyshock was surprised the girl made it as long she did.

• Chip Bennett says:

Knockout is a huge problem in St. Louis, and that Knockout is morphing from single attackers into groups of attackers is explicit justification for the need for ammunition capacity greater than 10 rounds per magazine.

• brutalhonesty says:

if Matt Quain had a ccw and shot Demetrius Murphy, 13 at the time, when he committed the knock out game on him…would we have heard “innocent child with a future” killed by “white racist with gun”? how long until we hear Demetrius Murphy, 15, was an innocent child shot after a white racist confronted him while innocently breaking into a home?

we already have the knock out game perpetrators parents claiming: He’s a good kid,” the boxing coach says, ” Tina Vence, a defendant’s mother, it was the right outcome. She was certain her child was innocent. So was Sonia Womack, another defendant’s mother. “My heart goes out to him,” she said of the victim, “but they need to get the right people that did it.”

3. arkansasmimi says:

Rene Stutzman‏@renestutzman 7 min ago
    #GeorgeZimmerman’s wife, Shellie, in court this afternoon, trying to get perjury charge dismissed#TrayvonMartin. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-shellie-zimmerman-perjury-stats-20130218,0,1865926.story

4. maggiemoowho says:

Ms. Corey is a hypocrite, Corey complained to the media about Marissa Alexander’s family lying to the public, but says nothing about all the “misinformation” the Scheme Team give to the public. I guess it’s ok for people to spew “misinformation” only if it helps the state.
    Interview printed in the Loop21

{Florida State Attorney Angela Corey is incensed by voluminous media reports about the case of Marissa Alexander, the mother who has drawn national attention for being denied a “Stand Your Ground” defense.

Corey personally returned a call to Loop 21 on Monday evening to clear up “misinformation,” which she claimed has been reported by several news outlets, including this one. The top prosecutor is disputing misleading details of the case she alleges Alexander’s family and attorney intentionally spread.

“I’m very disappointed that the defense attorney had anything to do with it,” Corey said. “The family should be ashamed of themselves. They do know that the shot did not go into the ceiling. And how dare they mislead people into thinking that.” }

5. stevie g says:

Bottom line is that MOM knows at least one juror will have reasonable doubt. He has zero confidence in the court to do the right thing, and he knows the immunity hearing is a waste of time. Yet he wants to preserve the appeal to avoid civil liability, i.e., any benefit to Crump and his clients. He is basically going to rub it into the judge’s face.

He knows the judge would have to rule in his favor if the jury acquits because the standard of proof is much less. How could he be found not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt yet not be granted immunity by a preponderance of the evidence?

• treewig says:

Preponderance of the evidence is a lower standard than beyond a reasonable doubt and to gain immunity, that burden is on the defendant, not the prosecution.

• John Galt says:

“Yet he wants to preserve the appeal to avoid civil liability, i.e., any benefit to Crump and his clients.”

Seems to me that preserving appeal requires conducting an immunity evidentiary hearing and determination sufficiently in advance of trial to allow appeal by writ of prohibition before trial. With combined immunity determination and trial, if Nelson denies immunity, Jury acquits, double jeopardy applies, no further criminal prosecution possible, appeal is moot, no?

As a preliminary matter, petitioner’s claim is moot and the
      instant case must be dismissed. Petitioner recognizes that he has
      no remedy in this case (IB p. 7). Below, the motion to dismiss was
      denied and petitioner failed to request a stay of proceedings
      and/or file a Petition for Writ of Prohibition in the Fourth
      District Court of appeal. Rather, petitioner chose to proceed to
      trial and forego the immunity.

I hear the train a comin’, it’s rollin’ ’round the bend.

• jello333 says:

I understand part of the point some (including Sundance) are making here regarding why MOM might want this to go to trial. Something to do with having a much bigger “audience” for a full-on, no-holds-barred trial, as opposed to a much less involved immunity hearing. Ok, fine… I don’t personally believe that, but it’s not impossible. But what I DON’T get is the implication that MOM doesn’t care if that would deny George the right to receive immunity; that he wouldn’t be able to demand a declaration of immunity from civil action, once he was acquitted at trial. Is that what we’re implying here? That MOM would actually do that? I don’t know. Seems to me that even if MOM was the type of person who would do that, he’d still be in danger of committing malpractice.

Am I wrong?

6. art tart says:

From Orlando Sentinel:

Zimmerman fund to meet $30,000 goal, defense says!

George Zimmerman’s defense fund announced today that it expects to meet its monthly goal of $30,000, money the defense says will be used to retain experts for his defense.

• brutalhonesty says:

@GZLEGALCASE
      STATE’S RESPONSE TO DEFENDANT’S MOTION FOR SPECIFIC DISCOVERY — TRAYVON MARTIN’S CELL PHONE #Zimmerman http://t.co/04yka6tI
      about an hour ago

• MJW says:

Seems to just be a blast from the past. They just reposted the same document that the state handed over in the last hearing, and that has been available since at least Feb. 9th.

• MJW says:

Next to last hearing, actually. The one on Feb. 5th.

• jello333 says:

“Flip phone”

Someone really needs to ask (Oooh oooh oooh oooh oooh) Jackie Blue if it was really a “flip phone”. Because if so, there are some big problems. But if it wasn’t, someone needs to ask her exactly what drugs she was on when she wrote that.

• rumpole2 says:

Too hard to resist…………..

• jello333 says:

Way back when, I made some attempts to get into the concert promotion business. One day, I was supposed to meet with some guys who were already involved, and who were gonna help me out. But they were busy with a concert, so told me to come by the venue and talk with them backstage, while the show was going on. Just happened to be doing the Ozark Mountain Daredevils that night. All I knew about the group was a couple songs off the radio, and I’d never seen pictures or anything. And since I was backstage during the show, I didn’t see them perform live either. Anyway, after the show was over and the guys in the band came back, they talked with several people, including my promoter friends. A little later, I asked one of my friends where the girl (singer) was! I was sure it was a girl singing “Jackie Blue”. Yeah, they thought that was pretty hilarious. And while it was embarrassing, to this day I’m just thankful I didn’t say that to one of the guys in the band! 😉

• diwataman says:

“If” she wrote that. It’s not clear how that descriptor got into the system, who did it and when. It’s just a receipt printed up by Blue who I assume was working in the evidence room when Brenton checked the phone back in.

• Chip Bennett says:

Do law enforcement or other agents of the State make a habit of mis-identifying or incorrectly describing evidence in their possession? Is this the Hilary Clinton Rule: flip phone, bar phone, slider phone – what difference does it make?

• diwataman says:

I guess so; Iced Tea, Trayvons pants/shorts, etc, “headphones” in/out of pockets, etc.

• myopiafree says:

Hi Chip – It seems that way. The Sanford Police could not figure that you used 911 to get the phone number from the “Heart” phone. They the did no seem to know that, with police power, ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS CALL THE PHONE COMPANY AND GET THE “PING-COMPUTER” LOGS DUMPED AND SENT TO THEM. This is STANDARD when you find an un-identified phone next to a dead body. What is wrong with these people. I guess they figure a cell-phone can be “flip” or solid, or what-ever.

7. maggiemoowho says:

Does anyone know if Sierra Mclendon knew TM prior to Feb 26th. I just noticed that they share some myspace friends.

• ejarra says:

Since she has already been deposed, I would think that MOM/West would have asked her if she ever met him or knew of him before the evening of 02/26. Although it appears that her brother didn’t know him.

8. Rich Branson says:

It’s no wonder there are thousands of “trayvons” running around on the streets of America, they are being taught at an early age. African Americans feel the need to indoctrinate, at a young age, their children to lead lives of thievery and with contempt for “whitey”.

9. brutalhonesty says:

im tired of the whole racist accusation.
    1999-2001 2 of my favorite teachers were black..most of my friends were as well
    in 2001 there was a black homeless man who had his ear blown off by a rail road accident near manchester and river des paires…I used to go to him to give him change and even cigs, a beer, some food…whenever I saw him…if i was passing and saw him i would go back…….people are scum one day he told me about how some black youth stole his cart of cans he was taking to vince jacks metal recycling.

2001 some random black dude came up to me at a red light and asked for a ride…I gave him one.

2004 there was a black homeless dude who resembled snoop dogg who came around the family dollar I worked at. I used to give him rides everywhere. cigs….smoke some good with him…drink a beer with him…

2007 I was briefly homeless for 2 months myself and spent most of my time around the black guys instead of the white guys.

2008 my best friends, black, i knew since late 2006…took me in and gave me a place to stay…I turned on their gas with my first unemployment check and helped out as soon as I got a job. was there for many in apartment studio recordings of some now famous underground local talent. still hang out with them today…we all call eachother family….im his brother from another mother as it were…..his mom loves me…..i go work on his car for free…..

2012-present I defend a hispanic man who was labeled as a white racist by black racists. and I tried to bring attention to the cold blooded killing of ebony jackson which affects multiple states and a bi-racial family, and an abandoned 3 month old…..no suspect……only a measley 10,000 dollars raised for a reward….no one from jftm or their affiliated pages or causes or people cared. the fb page still only has 14 likes….4 of which came from gz supporters including myself.

• brutalhonesty says:

last article about her http://fox2now.com/2013/01/14/murdered-morther-ebony-jackson-to-be-buried-saturday/
      Her baby boy was found abandoned in the hallway of an apartment building a week and a half ago in Breckenridge Hills.
      Ebony was later found dead of a gunshot wound to the head inside the trunk of her car in North St. Louis. Investigators are still searching for her killer.

…..the car was found on a block with several abandoned homes boarded up, and as usual, no one saw anything, no one thought to call in some random car that showed up, never moved, didnt belong to anyone that lives there, and had out of state plates.

and there is still no outrage despite the family’s accusations “the police wrote it off as another dead black person, probably a crackhead or prostitute” even that didnt draw the jftm crowd to the jfej cause.

• myopiafree says:

Hi Honesty – I do not like to use the term “Black”, or “White” for that matter. I was in the DC National Guard, that was 90 percent “Black” at that time. Never a problem. Same at school. Later I lived in a “mixed” community – Hispanic, Asian, Back, you name it. Our good friends were “Black” – for lack of a better word. When I was to move, my wife moved six weeks early – and my neighbors allowed me to stay with them – until I could move. I WOULD HAVE DONE EXACTLY THE SAME FOR THEM. There was no “racism” in that community. That is the way it should be – but the BGI – does not want it to be that way. Just my opinion.

10. thehoff71 says:

Hey Dman, I sent you a little message on your blog, re: Jonathan Ables. Scott was indicted today, Level F1 Severity Murder charge.

11. rumpole2 says:

An email friend I have not heard from in a while just got in touch. Because I was telling her about RT Forum.. I mentioned the GZ case in passing. She said she had no particular interest, but knew about the case. What she did claim to “know” was disheartening……

Zimmerman was safe in his car, he was told not to leave it.

As I have said before…. The Scheme Team did their job well. The False narrative HAS been imprinted on many people… even people in Australia.

• myopiafree says:

Hi Rumpole – You know the idea ” A lie travels around the word – in the time the TRUTH travels on block.” That is how the Scheme Team does it.

• rumpole2 says:

Yes.. very true.

But in addition … the lie has not only travelled around the world.. but it has been imprinted. We all heard “lies” at the start… but they were countered and erased by the truth as it too came out. I do worry about the false narrative having become a “fact” for many. As somebody else has opined at CTH … what sort of a jury can we expect? Most people who know about the case will be tainted by the false narrative. People who know NOTHING about the case will likely be stupid an/or detached from reality.

• jello333 says:

“Zimmerman was safe in his car, he was told not to leave it.”

If she’s at least somewhat open-minded, it’s actually a GOOD thing if that’s the worst thing she believes. Because it’s one of the most easily debunked of the LIES. You can literally PROVE it’s wrong. Go for it! 😉

• rumpole2 says:

I did 😀

But honestly you can not get trough to somebody who is conditioned.. short of a major and intensive deprogramming effort.
        You can answer point by point. at the end it will still be.. well none of this would have happened if Zim had stayed in his car and let LE handle it. A “child is dead” and Zim is responsible.
        They MAY go as far as conceding “manslaughter” but even so.. deep down think murder. Sadly.. that is the way it is with MANY people.
        This case needs to be decided by smart people who understand the facts and Florida law…. that is NOT what you will get with a jury.

• rooferx says:

When I mention the case to people I know or run into, I get this………..”Oh ya, the guy that they claimed was a racist vigilante, but then it turned out he was being beaten up and defended himself…..I thought they let him go by now??? He was attacked, right???”.

12. LittleLaughter says:

For my fellow Treepers, please note my post under the prayer requests thread, and if you feel inclined, please pray for us. I apologize for posting off topic here. Any and all prayers would be most appreciated. Thank you.

13. LittleLaughter says: