DEAD – Whitney Houston 1963 – 2012 (Video)

R.I.P

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music’s queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.

Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.

At her peak, Houston the golden girl of the music industry. From the middle 1980s to the late 1990s, she was one of the world’s best-selling artists. She wowed audiences with effortless, powerful, and peerless vocals that were rooted in the black church but made palatable to the masses with a pop sheen.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies, where she starred in hits like “The Bodyguard” and “Waiting to Exhale.”

She had the he perfect voice, and the perfect image: a gorgeous singer who had sex appeal but was never overtly sexual, who maintained perfect poise.

She influenced a generation of younger singers, from Christina Aguilera to Mariah Carey, who when she first came out sounded so much like Houston that many thought it was Houston.

But by the end of her career, Houston became a stunning cautionary tale of the toll of drug use. Her album sales plummeted and the hits stopped coming; her once serene image was shattered by a wild demeanor and bizarre public appearances. She confessed to abusing cocaine, marijuana and pills, and her once pristine voice became raspy and hoarse, unable to hit the high notes as she had during her prime.

“The biggest devil is me. I’m either my best friend or my worst enemy,” Houston told ABC’s Diane Sawyer in an infamous 2002 interview with then-husband Brown by her side. (read more)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

83 Responses to DEAD – Whitney Houston 1963 – 2012 (Video)

1. Sad…. she had such a great voice earlier in her career. 😦

2. Ms. Tee says:

She had her problems, but in recent weeks Whitney looked to be on the road to reviving her career. If I’m not mistaken, she had a movie coming out. R.I.P Whitney.

• WeeWeed says:

Awwww, man…..this is such a waste…..

• Ms. Tee says:

It’s really is. The weird thing is that I just “saw” her on some blog the other day. She looked better than she had in the past couple of years. There is another entertainer, who is my absolute favorite but Whitney, along with him, just remind me of the time when music was great and creative.

• WeeWeed says:

Could be her heart gave out – it is hard on us mere peeps to go through any kind of extreme dieting, “cleaning up,” whatever. I’ve seen that so many times – most recently with a good friend that lost over 100 lbs. – and he needed to, but then just died in his sleep after all that stress. **sigh**

3. G8rmom7 says:

I used to LOVE her in the 80’s when she started. And the soundtrack to the Bodyguard was awesome too. I always thought she was nuts to get mixed up with Bobby Brown and it looks like, that was only the beginning of her troubles. How very sad.

4. Ad rem says:

I musta played this a million times back in the 80’s…..

• Menagerie says:

This is one of my husband’s favorite songs. I put it on my ipod years ago so I could play it for him every Valentines’s Day.

5. GFCandinthatorder says:

Often times I think the demons inside us (addictions) are just a cover up of the deepest hurts down inside that we are unable to expose and get rid of. Like extra baggage that we carry around all the time and the only say to.deal with it is drugs, alcohol, food or other addictions that ease the pain.
    God, thank you for helping me carry some of mine. May this poor soul find some peace.

6. Patriot Dreamer says:

Very sad. RIP Whitney. 😦

7. So sad. Her music is part of the soundtrack of my teenage years.

Prayers for her poor family.

8. Menagerie says:

Who knows if this is true:

Our sources tell us a member of Whitney’s entourage found her in her room at the Beverly Hilton hotel … and called hotel security — who then dialed 911. When paramedics arrived Houston was found unresponsive.

We’re told police arrived to the scene within minutes and fire was already there on an unrelated call. According to our sources, paramedics performed CPR but it did not work and she was pronounced dead at 3:55 PM.

Our sources say there were no obvious signs of foul play, but BH PD detectives have begun a full investigation. We’re told she was ID’ed by family and friends.

9. GracieD says:

Rest in Peace, Whitney. God Bless her family!

10. Solaratov says:

😥

11. moe2004 says:

So much of her music was fantastic, but take a look at this. Possibly the best rendition ever.

12. elvischupacabra says:

It’s sad when anyone dies, and I feel sad for the people who truly loved Ms. Houston and not the star persona. Most of all, I feel sad for her, a person who had it all and lost it all to whatever demons afflicted her. But I recognize too that many other people died today. Some were great and some small when measured by the frail human yardstick that this imperfect world uses, yet all were the same in G_d’s eyes.

13. ZurichMike says:

I thought that maybe she had gotten her act together after seeing / hearing this song:

14. tnwahm says:

Since most of us on this blog are Christians, I’ll ask here. Des it bother anyone else when someone says when someone dies that “may they rest in peace” or that “they are at peace now”. The only way that there is peace after death is if an individual is at peace with God thru Jesus before their death. Hopefully, Whitney Houston found peace with God thru Christ before she died., because that’ the only way she is at peace now.

• F.D.R. in Hell says:

She’s not down here. I just checked…

• ZurichMike says:

Other than Christ, who is to judge whether someone who has purportedly accepted Christ will be judged to have done so in a manner guaranteeing salvation? But saying “rest is peace” is either hoping for Christian salvation (if you are Christian), or it’s just a respectful thing to say, especially for the surviving family and loved ones. Either reason is fine with me.

• GM Car Of The Future says:

From what I’ve read, Whitney lived her later years in pain and anguish. She has had that Earthly burden lifted from her shoulders. That alone is a peaceful rest.

I have faith that, as President Reagan said about the Challenger disaster, Whitney has “slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God.”

• tnwahm says:

If she didn’t know Jesus here on earth, then leaving this earth and entering hell is not peaceful rest.

• Ad rem says:

You are running on all cylinders General.

• Ralph Bayley says:

“High Flight”

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
          And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
          Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
          of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
          You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
          High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
          I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
          My eager craft through footless halls of air….

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
          I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
          Where never lark, or even[8] eagle flew —
          And, while with silent lifting mind I have trod
          The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
          – Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr. Pilot Officer No 412 Sqn RCAF
          Died 11 December 1941 Flying Accident over Lincolnshire, UK

• tnwahm says:

I understand what you are saying, but I’ve just been to too many funerals where the person who died didn’t even profess to be a christian but they were eulogized into heaven anyway. To me, it’s a disservice to the living and wrong teaching. Is teaching that all you have to do to get to heaven is have “Amazing Grace” at your funeral and have some pastor say good things about you really a good thing? Is that really what we believe? It’s not what I believe. My dh would say something along the lines of so-and-so has gone to their reward. Now that is the truth. They are reaping the consequences of their choice here on earth.

• ZurichMike says:

Who is to say that another is saved at any time, let alone at a funeral of the person in question? Can you really see into the hearts of men?

Isn’t it better to give the person the benefit of the doubt, the hope for eternity with Christ, and a little comfort for the family? Isn’t that a bit better than saying “I don’t know whether this person accepted Christ, therefore I can’t hope that he rests in peace” or say nothing, or, as is the case with the whack-jobs at the Westboro Baptist Church, go to a funeral and say mean things? And if you don’t believe the person is saved, what on earth are you doing at the funeral if your conscience forbids it? There’s a time and place for doctrinal defense — but doing so while a family grieves is hardly civil, or Christian for that matter.

• GracieD says:

I’m with you ZM, God is the Final Judge. Only God and Whitney know what her relationship with Him may be.

• stellap says:

I have to say that funerals are for the living, not the dearly departed. I know that you know that, but whatever the state of the deceased person’s soul may be, there is no changing it at that time. If the person has a pastor who is doing his job, he will touch upon what needs to be done to ensure salvation after death, for the living ones, without distressing the family and friends of the deceased. It is a delicate line to walk, but a good man knows how to walk it. We, as mourners, are there to comfort those who remain, nothing more. How each person does that is up to him or her. The family will appreciate it, no matter what it is.

• stellap says:

I want to add a personal experience to this discussion. When my mother died, we had her funeral in her church (CMA), and had planned it with her pastor, a wonderful young man. At the last minute he contracted the flu, and was unable to lead the service and deliver the eulogy. The prior pastor – we had never met him – kindly stepped in to perform the duties. We felt – especially my daughter – that he went on and on about salvation to an excessive degree. She felt it was almost insulting to those attending the funeral – as if he were assuming that we were all ignorant non-believers, and she asked him, between the church and the graveside, to please keep it simple at the grave. He did go on a bit, though I was too wrapped up in my own grief to notice very much, frankly. We had shared some of her own writings on the subject, including passing out handouts with two pieces she had written about her life, what she saw as her place in life, and what she prayed for her own family members, so the subject wasn’t ignored by us – far from it. I know that a minister has a captive audience at a funeral, and some of the mourners may indeed be ignorant of what they need to do about their salvation but, as I said before, I think they walk a delicate line.

• tnwahm says:

I would hope that you don’t have such a low opinion of me to believe that I would ever say anything to the family to suggest that their dearly departed loved one is in hell. The reason that I go to a funeral is to show their family that I care about them, not to “pay my respects” to the dead. One can simply say that “I am sorry for your loss.”

I’m not setting myself up as judge over whether someone is saved or not, my point is to be consistent to what we believe and not teach that being saved is something that someone else can do for us. It’s a personal choice. How sad would it be for a friend or family member to actually not accept Christ because they thought that all they had to do get to heaven was have the proper words said at their funeral. To me that is a disservice and not comforting at all.

• Totally get what you’re saying, but I have this weird thing where I think God gives us one last chance.

15. F.D.R. in Hell says:

Nope…Whitney’s not on today’s Guest Arrival list. Good for her !!
    Looks like we’re still going to have to make do with Ethel Merman. 🙂

16. RIP Whitney. So sad. 😦

17. Shalini says:

I hope she has found peace in Christ. What a beautiful voice she had! I remember my siblings used to record the Grammy awards , back in those days, and I believe we still have those records. The memory of watching “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” is still surprising fresh! It’s such a shame when your favourite artists waste their amazing talents and fame destroys them.

18. Jo says:

Rest in peace. I hope, you found your freedom. I will never forget you. Your voice were unique. My deepest sympathy to the family, especially Bobbi Kristina. I pray for you and your mother, wish you strength in this difficult time.

19. WeeWeed says:

Both of the Justice Vultures have weighed in, waiting for Captain Foodstamp to jump in front of a camera in 3….2….
    and blame Bush.

20. John says:

I am Glad one less drug addict pill popper is dead

21. Casper says:

some of the people who are commenting on here have some problems oh!! (said with african accent).

What if someone calls us later tonight to say she had some powder from that funny fish from haiti that makes people appear to be dead when they are alive and then when they wake up days later they are called zombies, what if it is so and that she has now woken up., all this talk about saving and hell would send her right back somewhere for good ehn….choi!!! u people have problems… hmph…

22. Pingback: FROM THE EDITOR: My Star, My Whitney Houston -Gone Too Soon! | FeSaadmag.com