Cliven Bundy Controversial Remarks – FULL CONTEXT VIDEO (With Transcript)

All around the media world today I’ve seen both the left and the right side of the political ideological groups attacking Cliven Bundy based on a New York Times article and Media Matters video.

It took me a while to find the extended version of the video comments without the progressive, albeit convenient, editing.   The entire video is actually more than an hour long and you can view it – CLICK HERE

Well, for the sake of the discussion, here’s an edit of the longer version, including a transcript I did from the video itself.

Were there some non-politically correct statements ? Yes.

Were there some uncomfortable choices of terms and phrases spoken from an 67 year old Grandpa who still uses the words “negro” and “colored’s” ? Yes.

{Actually you can hear his granddaughter off camera saying in a rather concerned voice [trying to get his attention]  “Grandpa… Grandpa” (@1:58) when he talks about the invisible difference between long gone “slavery” and  current “dependency”. Obviously his granddaughter is concerned – and knows full well her Grandpa is not articulate enough in modern PC’isms to attempt to nuance his way through the minefield of race in modern America.}

But the broader question “Is Cliven Bundy A Racist”? …..can be answered by actually listening to his words, ALL OF HIS WORDS. Not the New York Times or Media Matters excerpts of his words, but rather ALL OF THEM.

Then you decide for yourself:

Transcript below

…” and so what I’ve testified to ya’, I was in the WATTS riot, I seen the beginning fire and I seen the last fire. What I seen is civil disturbance. People are not happy, people is thinking they did not have their freedom; they didn’t have these things, and they didn’t have them.

We’ve progressed quite a bit from that day until now, and sure don’t want to go back; we sure don’t want the colored people to go back to that point; we sure don’t want the Mexican people to go back to that point; and we can make a difference right now by taking care of some of these bureaucracies, and do it in a peaceful way.

Let me tell.. talk to you about the Mexicans, and these are just things I know about the negroes. I want to tell you one more thing I know about the negro.

When I go, went, go to Las Vegas, North Las Vegas; and I would see these little government houses, and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids…. and there was always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch. They didn’t have nothing to do.  They didn’t have nothing for the kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for the young girls to do.

And because they were basically on government subsidy – so now what do they do? They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never, they never learned how to pick cotton.   And I’ve often wondered are they were better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things? Or are they better off under government subsidy?

You know they didn’t get more freedom, uh they got less freedom – they got less family life, and their happiness -you could see it in their faces- they were not happy sitting on that concrete sidewalk.   Down there they was probably growing their turnips – so that’s all government, that’s not freedom.

Now, let me talk about the Spanish people. You know I understand that they come over here against our constitution and cross our borders. But they’re here and they’re people – and I’ve worked side-by-side a lot of them.

Don’t tell me they don’t work, and don’t tell me they don’t pay taxes. And don’t tell me they don’t have better family structure than most of us white people. When you see those Mexican families, they’re together, they picnic together, they’re spending their time together, and I’ll tell you in my way of thinking they’re awful nice people.

And we need to have those people join us and be with us…. not, not come to our party.

Are the remarks controversial ?   Yes, however – No more so than the remarks made by Shirley Sherrod.

The left rose quickly in their defense of Shirley Sherrod.    In this case the left rose quickly in the attack against Cliven Bundy.

Intellectually honest people are able to see the broad questions and positions raised by both examples of Sherrod and Bundy.    However, what’s more sad than the refusal to openly discuss the issues – is how quickly the conservative right is willing to throw Bundy to the wolves based solely on the New York Times and Media Matters opinion.

A progressive opinion intended purposefully to avoid that painful conversation the professional left constantly claim no-one is willing to have.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

271 Responses to Cliven Bundy Controversial Remarks – FULL CONTEXT VIDEO (With Transcript)

1. Josh says:

“Alfonzo Rachel is our in studio guest today discussing his new book “Weapons Of A.S.S. Destruction”, a handbook to help the Republicans learn how to fight off the same old, tired accusations that have been used against them for 50 years. And, why Black Americans continue to vote democrat even though their values are completely ignored.”

Democratic Party – The New Plantation [2012-Aug-30]

2. Gregg keyes says:

I was born in 1950, raised in the south of Georgia. Segregation was institutional until after I Ieft in 1963 to Fl. I listened to the full transcript. Clive is older than me and from a different time frame. This is very important in understanding him, and all of us. WHAT he says is true, how he says it is dated. He is actually speaking in favor of and in understanding of in a heart felt way, black citizens. Todays’ blacks cannot understand that, but I do, regarding my time and geographical frame of reference. Furthermore he is complimenting the Hispanics for their recognized family values, something we N. Americans have lost. Dear black readers, listen carefully to what this ‘hick’ is saying, he is not denigrating you, he is trying to explain what he sees within the context of his frame of reference. He is faulting the government for denying black citizens the dignity of citizenship in a REAL sense. How he comes across is, lets just say: awkward for anyone under 60. But he is actually sympathetic to the cause of what he sees in the black community. As a former racist, i can say that he is not being racist. You laugh at me because I said ‘former’ racist. Yet,quite frankly who isn’t or has been? Answer that honestly.

• Josh says:

“…who isn’t or has been?” Me. Honestly.

• jello333 says:

Great comment, Gregg

• jordan2222 says:

“He is actually speaking in favor of and in understanding of in a heart felt way, black citizens.”

I arrived here 4 years before you in SC so I can relate perfectly to what you wrote. You and I share the same opinion about your statement. Perception is everything in this discussion and ours is clearly different than many others. I suspect many blacks that grew up in the South during our era think similarly. I disagree with most of the critical remarks that have been made about him, especially his alleged ignorance. I see his accusers as the ignorant. Once again.. it’s a matter of one’s perception and mine is different than theirs.

YOUR perception is YOUR reality.. not so easily changed. I am generalizing but IMO, Progressive haters in this issue have a perception that is very different than those of us who call ourselves conservative patriots.

Most of the intellectual discussions I have seen about race emphasize perception and the white man’s seeming “difficulties” in viewing things “realistically” and how they have changed historically from THEIR perception.

This is just another example of MSM fanning the racial flames. Nothing new about that but during the heat of battle, emotions can get out of control and so we take the bait and fight back the only way we can.. speaking up and openly expressing our beliefs. Now even the conservative pundits who have a voice will not speak for us. Our numbers have now diminished as a result of “someone’s” perception of what Bundy said but the traitors are being exposed.

3. Pingback: Quora

4. Pingback: Don’t be Racist like Bundy — Take a Negro to lunch This Week | danmillerinpanama

5. dws says:

The way CNN has continued to attack this man all day is the most sickening thing I’ve seen from them. And that’s saying a lot. I hope people get a backbone and stand up and say it like it is and let it be known that talking about race isn’t racist.

6. Pingback: Cliven Bundy’s Pro-Black, Pro-Mexican, Anti-Government Statements Completely Discredits New York Times |

7. Peripatetic says:

Has Sean Hannity issued an apology for accepting and responding to the NY Times and Media Matters edited versions of Cliven Bundy’s remarks? If not, he is both irresponsible and cowardly. Some folks call Abraham Lincoln a racist because of the way his words sound in an early 21st century context even though they caused him to be vilified as a betrayer of his race in his times. Cliven Bundy’s expressions were not politically correct, but there was nothing inherently racist about them in their full context. Indeed, he identified government policies which encourage the continuing lack of progress for some communities in America that might otherwise be much happier and more successful in achieving the American dream of equality and prosperity. The only racism involved was the race baiting by the NY Times and Media Matters with their provocative editing of this 80 year old man’s remarks. Come on, Hannity. Man up and admit you were hoodwinked by liberal media outlets.

8. Pingback: What Cliven Bundy Really Said | Daily Pundit

9. Disgusted says:

This man is not 80, he’s 67. Younger than my father (and I’m 31). He doesn’t get a pass because of age. He’s a bigot and anyone defending him just wants to absolve their own racism.

10. Pingback: Leftist Propaganda Meant to Smear and Disarm Govt. Criticism | The NeoConservative Christian Right

11. Pingback: Massive win for the 2A. Armed men are no cows. - Page 3 - Shooting Sports Forum

12. Pingback: Vote for Kira Davis - Shooting Sports Forum

13. Pingback: VDH Whiffs One | Daily Pundit

14. Pingback: Unedited Video Shows Bundy Making Pro-Black, Pro-Mexican Comments | 3rdeyeviZion

15. Pingback: Hate Laws Intended To Silence Truth : Veracity Voice