I read about this story last week and was waiting to see what “official” position the university took.   A College professor, Dr. Deandre Poole told students to write the name  “Jesus” on a piece of paper and throw it on the ground to stomp on it.

Not surprisingly one student took exception, refused, complained and was then suspended.

The school initially said this:

[…]  Dr. Poole was conducting a classroom exercise from a textbook entitled “Intercultural Communication: A Contextual Approach, 5th Edition” and released this statement to CBS12: ”Faculty and students at academic institutions pursue knowledge and engage in open discourse. While at times the topics discussed may be sensitive, a university environment is a venue for such dialogue and debate.”  (link)

Apparently the University has changed directions since their initial defense of the exercise.  Today the reports are they have decided to apologize:

Florida Atlantic University has issued an apology for a classroom assignment that involving students writing the name “Jesus” on a sheet of paper and then stomping on the paper. The university also said the lesson will never again be used.

“We sincerely apologize for any offense this has caused,” the university said in a prepared statement. “Florida Atlantic University respects all religions and welcomes people of all faiths, backgrounds and beliefs.”

The university initially defended the Christ-bashing lesson which is included textbook titled, “Intercultural Communication: A Contextual Approach, 5th Edition.”  (read more)

I’m left to wonder if Dr. Poole, or the university President, would be so willing to defend drawing a picture of Mohammed on paper and doing likewise?

About these ads
This entry was posted in A New America, Dem Hypocrisy, Islam, media bias, Political correctness/cultural marxism, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

74 Responses to Florida Atlantic University The “stomp on Jesus” Class Called “Intercultural Communication”….

1. elvischupacabra says:

Dr. Poole is also vice-chairman of the Palm Beach County Democratic Party.

Now we know that she would not have had a stomp on Mohammad exercise.

• 22tula says:

That’s right elvis they go for the soft targets.
      Look what’s going on in France.

Maybe Ann Barnhardt is not so crazy after all.

• 22tula says:

For the Clergy
        Robert Spencer interviews Stephen Coughlin. At the end of interview Stephen Coughlin offers up good suggestions dealing with the spineless get along clergy.

For the Politicians
        “Excellent speech by Swiss member of Parliament Oskar Freysinger said with passion and truth that no politician in Washington is yet ready to speak from the floor of Congress. In order for us to beat back the Islamists we need some key leaders in Washington to make a similar speech and lead the nation against the Islamist threat head on.” – Walid Shoebat

• auscitizenmom says:

The world gone mad!

• Sharon says:

Sometimes I think she’s ineffective. Personally, I don’t like being constantly yelled at or told I’m going to hell for sure because I’m not a Catholic, but I’ve never thought she was crazy.

• CrankyinAZ says:

I hear ya Sharon, and I have to agree with you. I don’t like her either… and I am Catholic. ;)

• ZurichMike says:

Converts are usually zealots. I can’t listen to her anymore.

• Sharon says:

Hi, ZurichMike! How’s your day? Going on Palm Sunday in your part of the world….

• 22tula says:

Sharon, I don’t feel that Ann is yelling at me. I have a friend who has a screaming Jesus Coffee Mug. She doesn’t like people screaming at her too.
            When Ann says that you are going to hell if you’re not Catholic. I don’t believe that either and I don’t take it personally. In fact, I believe if there is a Hell – hate, it’s right here on Earth.
            I don’t believe there is a Hell. This is why. Say, for example, I am good and I have a bad son. We both die. I go to Heaven because I am good and my son goes to Hell because he is bad. I am suppose to be happy in Heaven, right? How can I be happy knowing that my son is burning in hell? I can’t. I do believe in the Near Death Experiences and Life Review – feeling the pain that you caused others. Yes, that I believe in.

Here’s another. Christ is Love and the Anti-Christ is hate, so when I am hateful I am the Anti-Christ. One more. Time & Space – Heaven is eternity, which means there is no time. If there is no time then my deceased relatives can’t be waiting for me because I am already there but asleep and dreaming. That’s why I like the screamers. They help me wake up. I also don’t call myself a Christian because I don’t want to give Jesus a bad name. I was raised a Catholic and don’t appreciate or know the Catholic Church and the early church fathers as much as Ann does. So if anything, she sparked my interest in the early teachings – Apologetics – Seekers. In order to deepen your understanding on a subject you sometimes have to see it from a different perspective. Bottom line is You Take what you Need and leave the Rest. IMO People get so caught up in physical/outer trappings of the Church and their different denominations in order to avoid the inner content because they are afraid. That is likened to comparing & criticizing different album covers and avoiding the same record/music/content inside.

And, yes recent converts can be zealots and so can recent US Citizens who fled from communist countries. Sometimes if you are born Into It, you Don’t Know or Appreciate what you have. Anyway, I’ll take the In Your Face Screamers, (Ann Barnhardt, Alan Keyes, Pam Geller, Oskar Freysinger, Nigel Farage, Mark Levin, Michael Savage & Andrew Breitbart), over the soft spoken, milk toast, it’s time for your to take your shower, get along peace crowd. Wow I used too many “I’s” in this post. I fell like Obama :-)
            Extra Credit ;-)
            St. Augustine: The Decline of the Roman Empire – 2 Parts Posted on this page.

Film Review

Audio Books – 2 pages. Page 2 has the book mentioned in the movie “The City of God.”

• ZurichMike says:

Things are OK. Still job-hunting, but now am focus on Easter Week — and the Resurrection. Last week on the prayer thread I asked for some “emergency” prayers for a cousin — she finally gets settled at the assisted living home and promptly has a stroke. It does not look good. So all things in perspective, I am well. And I need to get back to saying some prayers for her.

• Janice Holt says:

This is not offensive at all. Jesus is also a name many hispanics have given their sons and daughter’s middle name. So The instructor did not say to write Jesus Christ, just Jesus. The point was intercommunication. This is part of growing up. That was a piece of paper being stomped on not Jesus Christ or the Bible. So I see that there should have been no apology. I hope everybody has had a great lesson today, nobody was bashing religion the supposed victim just took it that way.

2. boudicabpi says:

Reblogged this on BPI reblog and commented:

3. Chip Bennett says:

Prog “tolerance” always means: Christians must be tolerant of those who bash Christianity, and everyone must be intolerant of bashing any religion other than Christianity.

4. BertDilbert says:

Next weeks lesson, will probably be stomping on the US flag.

5. czarowniczy says:

Seems like Palm Beach County’s changed a lot since I went to school and lived there. There was that huge in-migration from the Northeast after Red Buttons opened those retirement homes and high gas prices fueled the snow-haters house-buying spree – and those drug dollars didn’t hurt either. Anyway, I’m reminded of the old graffiti wag: A man walking down an alley sees “Gott ist tot – Nietzsche” written on a wall. Just a bit farther on is written: “Nietzsche ist tot – Gott”. In all it’s offensive to us but I don’t think that in the grand scheme of things it bothers Jesus all that much.

• elvischupacabra says:

You’re right on the money there.

• czarowniczy says:

Which is one reason I’m no longer living there – will the last English-speaking person please turn out the lights…

• Josh says:

czarowniczy,
          Is it any better than where you are? Seems this crap is a creepin’ everywhere.

• czarowniczy says:

Actually just about everyone here is a native and speaks English – though there are some that complain it’s almost unintelligible. Some Latin Americans have moved heavily into small towns that are being depopulated as the families die-off and the kids all move to The Big City, they are ball-busting farmers who’ve come here to work the land they couldn’t get in their native countries. Just about all of them work at speaking English and do not wish to offend you buy speaking Spanish in your presence regardless of how badly they speak English. Then again there aren’t that many and these are farmers and ranchers, not the groups I ran into in the more urbanized areas.

• Josh says:

If I may ask: are you out of Florida totally?

• czarowniczy says:

Me, my wife, my kids, my dos, cats and probably a few palmetto bugs – all out and in Mississippi – after a long trip ’round. I have one partner who retired from FSP who’s out and one still there from Miami-Mtero Dare PD who wishes like hell he were out.

• Josh says:

I’ve got a friend in the Ft. Lauderdale area who, despite his job, believes he is in he**.

• czarowniczy says:

South Florida ain’t what it usta be. The mass in-migrations in the 70s and 80s, the drug money, the huge influx of South/Latin American money as investors started to distrust banks in the banana belt – it’s changed so much that I find little recognizable.

• Sharon says:

Not much bothers Jesus–excellent point! While He’s really big on stuff like righteousness, we really need to not get our knickers in a knot as though He’s waiting for us to get this figured out or come to a consensus on stuff. Most of the living billions around the world will die in nations that have never had a whiff of the liberties we’ve had. So it is right that we defend them and despise those who don’t….but beyond that, keep our heads about us.

• czarowniczy says:

I think it’s rather egotistical of us to run about ‘defending’ Jesus’ honor and name. Our job is to keep our own hands clean, He’s more than capable of defending His own honor and, in the goodness of time, will have His own laugh.After all, who’s to say that some of these ‘Jesus stompers’ won’t have their own epiphany at some point – are we now what we were in college?

6. The moment a christian group goes after these intellectual liberal elite slugs they will crawl back into their sewers where they belong. They are hateful but too cowardly to go full throttle. That’s all it is. They use the easiest punching bag possible – the one with no racial or ‘phobic’ ramifications/accusations; white christians. Being a liberal is about playing it safe and barking with a ton of bite and crawling in a hole when somebody bites or barks back. I’d love to see others bark back and watch them squirm.

• Sharon says:

And I hope some Christian intellectuals go after them, not just “Christian groups.” Good grief, Josh McDowell or Franklin Graham could make mincemeat of them, and they’re not even the A-Team of Cross-bearers.

There are non-Christian intellectuals and non-Christian Americans who would have them for lunch in less than five minutes, folks who actually do respect Christians and Christianity. Mark Levin would have them for snack time.

• Josh says:

Don’t believe I would have stomped on Allah’s name.

• LetJusticePrevail says:

Something I just don’t get: How does an expression of hatred and intolerance (stomping on ANY icon) relevant in a class about “Intercultural Communication”? This professor had a very poor way of making his point, whatEVER it was!

• Sharon says:

He wasn’t trying to make a point.

He’s training a new generation to disrespect and despise our Bill of Rights and training them to minimize the thoughts and ideas that might come from people of faith, and making them comfortable with refusing to allow freedom of religion in everyday society.

THAT is what he was doing. Big picture. Gotta go big picture. It’s not about some point he was trying to make.

• auscitizenmom says:

I agree totally with everything you said.

• Josh says:

*They* are figuring out who will be fit for the *Gestapo*.

• justfactsplz says:

That’s right Sharon, we have to look at the big picture. Faith, morals, and believing in the American dream and working hard are all the things we hold dear that they attack. Family values have already gone down the tube. It is the taking us from within that we were warned about would happen is happening.This anything goes and nothing is off limits attitude can be disturbing. It takes a very conscience effort on our part to keep our heads as you say.

• brocahontas says:

Very true. They are attacking the traditional power structure in order to change the balance of power. The end game is apparently a socialist dictatorship. Those never reach any level of stability. This is why it is important to pit every self defined group against white Christians even if there isn’t a natural antagonism between white Christians and the others. They stir it all up via control of information from the media and the universities.

7. ottawa925 says:

Let’s say it plain and clear, shall we: Who the heck does this guy think he’s bullchittin?

8. Sharon says:

Once again with the magical non-apology. Make conscious note of the fact that they did not apologize for anything they did.

Obviously they do not respect all religions. I’ll reconsider that conclusion unless they have the president of the U out front tomorrow stomping on a Koran …. since that’s the way they show respect.

• boricuafudd says:

Respect is always a one-way street for them. You have to respect their right to abortion on demand, you have to respect their right to gay relations, you have to respect their right for gay marriage, you have to respect their right to insult you, you have to respect their right to disrespect you. Just don’t say anything in response since now you are being disrespectful.

• LetJusticePrevail says:

A great observation, Sharon. They don’t repudiate the act itself, or their earlier support of it. They only try to diffuse the response to it:

“Oh, we’re sorry that YOU were offended by OUR actions, which WE think are perfectly OK. It’s not OUR fault that YOU have personal issues”.

All kidding aside, I am even MORE outraged by the school’s reaction (suspension) to the student, than I am to the objectionable exercise, itself. The ironic thing was, they supported the professor’s “exercise” by claiming that the university was in support of “open discourse” while at the same time they were oppressing the student’s right to have “discourse openly”. The HYPOCRISY of their reaction to his complaint speaks VOLUMES about their disconnected logic.

THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE ENTRUSTED WITH SHAPING THE MINDS OF OUR FUTURE LEADERS?

• Sharon says:

Yes, these are the people who are “entrusted” with shaping ALL the minds of ALL the students, forget whether or not they are “future leaders.”

Their response informs us of who they are. Let’s take their self-revelation for what it is. Believe what they say about themselves. They intend to destroy the Bill of Rights. They may not even know what the Bill of Rights is, granted, but it is not possible for them to obtain what they clearly want without destroying it. It is an obstacle that they intend to take down.

• brocahontas says:

Yep, the media and the educational institutions. It is all about thought control. If you disagree with you will not be allowed a position of authority in those structures. It has always been like this but now there appears to be more intentionality in the process.

9. Sharon says:

Read, slowly, the description of the course material in the box above that gives a summary of Poole’s approach. Now think about how they apply that, to their benefit, in the BGI.

They’ve been working at this for a long, long, long time, peeps. A very long time.

So, once again, let’s identify what this is NOT about: it is NOT about Florida Atlantic University. It is NOT about religion. It is NOT about the student refusing to stomp on Jesus. Those things all matter because they are the symptoms, the delivery containers, the spiking fever. But they are NOT the disease.

10. Josh says:

“Not surprisingly one student took exception…”
    Actually I AM surprised … and pleased as all get out!

11. Josh says:

STOMP ON JESUS: Top Florida Democrat exposed for hate speech forced on …

12. Josh says:

Noemi Marin, Associate Professor and Director of the School @ FAU
    DOCTOR Deandre J. Poole’s Supervisor

13. John Galt says:

Only 17% of FAU students graduate within 4 years.
    85% of MIT students graduate within 4 years.
    Dr. Poole is another Howard University social engineer.

14. lovemygirl says:

I wonder what would have happened if he wrote Obama on a piece of paper and stomped on it instead?

• LetJusticePrevail says:

YES YES YES! THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING TO SEE! I wonder how long it would be before the Secret Service showed up to investigate a professor who used THAT as a lesson in a University class?

15. I wonder if a muslim had been instructed to write down mohammeds name on a piece of paper and stomp it, but had refused, if THAT student would be suspended. OH, I can answer that NO! They would say something like OH he really believes in his religion, not like Christians. Not only that, frankly, the teacher probably would be suspended for even suggesting something so terrible.

I am so sick of the blatant christian and morality ‘acceptable’ offense, attacks, insulting and bashing.

• taqiyyologist says:

You don’t go far enough, by a long shot. Every bearded muslim in the entire Ummah with a group of MSM cameras on them would be screaming, shouting, spitting, and burning this teacher in effigy. Every Muslim cleric in the world would be issuing fatwas and demanding his head be removed. Obama would call leaders of Muslim nations on the phone and abjectly apologize, which would not appease their anger, and so he would give each nation a few hundred more tanks, F-16s, military training, and a half-billion dollars from the so-called U.S. “Treasury”.

• LMAO, I know, I know – XD XD XD and we have the liberal twat moron retards crying with their lower lip sticking out and curled down all the way to their chin about ‘mean’ christians and ‘intolerant’ christians, demanding they ‘tolerate harassment & denigration’ while treating filthy islam like a priceless jewel. Religion of Pieces, cause if ya complain that’s how you end up.

16. taqiyyologist says:

This is proof, yet again. My daily dose of proof.

I fully expect more proofs tomorrow, and that the sun will rise in the east.

Christianity/Judaism are the only religions which are verboten, unless dissing them, in the public schools. Transcendental Meditation? It’s all good! Secular Humanism? Wicca? Islam? It’s all good! Every single other religion on the face of this earth? Hey, it’s all good!™.

When only Christianity and Judaism are singled out for abject, spittle-laced hate?

That kinda cinches the deal for me.

17. libby says:

I just called a left a message to say how disgusted I was (as a Muslim) that they would be be so derogatory towards Jesus

18. Pingback: Florida Atlantic University The “stomp on Jesus” Class Called “Intercultural Communication”…. | Boudica BPI Weblog

19. libby says:

As disugusting as this professor’s behavior was…and as disgusting as the university was for refusing to apologize (or to punish the prof)…I found another avenue of concern (the puke who wrote the book that gave the stomp on Jesus lesson plan (and the publishers who published such garbage).
    I am just now enjoying the new reviews (on Amazon) for the book that helped begin this trashing of our beloved jesus.

• libby says:

I gotta share a few of the reviews on Amazon (they are that amusing)….I will try to keep it to a minimum.
      “I was looking for a book about stomping on Jesus, man this one really fit the bill. Sure, there are other books about stomping on Jesus, but this is really the authority on the matter. I was a little disappointed that there wasn’t more coverage of stomping on Buddha, considering that the title of this book is “Intercultural Communication” so it loses one star for that.”
      And my all time favorite was as follows:
      “The book starts out strong with a table of contents, and is nicely organized into chapters with words – something that the author, given his writing skills, should be proud of. But from there, it veers into a venerable wasteland of random thoughts – akin to writing under the influence of bad LSD. In fact, it appears that the incoherent babbling that is being passed off as “writing” is really no more than “mushrooms gone mad”.

The author, starting on page 1, quickly entangles himself in a mental knot that leads to endless “chapters” of psychedelic prose. What’s with the perverse attraction to Marsha Brady, and why is Peter not even acknowledged? Passed off as “paragraphs”, these written trips would be laughable – except for the fact that as Christians, we forgive the sinner. Much like Alice never complained about her lot in life.

Verbal codes, Nonverbal codes, secret codes, fire codes, code pink – how can anyone be expected to follow along? The book is filled with paranoid rants. It falls short of its intended objective: addressing the stress and communication friction of the Brady household. Save your money. Sam the Butcher wouldn’t wrap meat with the pages from this book.”

• auscitizenmom says:

Are you kidding?? There actually is a lesson plan??

20. Josh says:

Intercultural Communication: A Contextual Approach, Fifth Edition by James W. Neuliep

Some excerpts from the book:

Chapter 1
    After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
    2. recognize the INCREASING racial and ethnic diversity in the U.S. population;

“Over the past 200 years, the growth rate, distribution, and density of the world population has not been spread equally.”

“The purpose of the above paragraph is to point out that the world’s population is growing disproportionately. Along with that, something else has grown disproportionately—technology and its decentralizing role in information dissemination. In 1948, the painter and writer Wyndham Lewis wrote about a global village in his book titled America and Cosmic Man.
    Several years later, his friend Marshall McLuhan also used the term to describe how techno-logical advances of mass media would eventually disintegrate the natural time and space barriers inherent in human communication. McLuhan predicted that through the elimination of such barriers, people would continue to interact and live on a global scale but one that would have been virtually transformed into a village.
    Twelve years into the 21st century, Marshall McLuhan’s vision of a global village is no
    longer considered an abstract idea but a near certainty.”

21. Olivia Guerrero says:

I am actually a student in the class and was present during the lesson. The assignment was not meant to bash religion in anyway as Dr Poole is himself a Christian. The intended lesson of the assignment was to signify the importance of symbols and how they are viewed across cultures (some would not consider stepping on a name to be offensive).

22. Pingback: Communications Professor Deandre Poole’s status at FAU is still unknown | University Press