Sunday Open Thread – January 27th

Tomb of the Unknown ChristmasOur Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL.

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to Sunday Open Thread – January 27th

1. Ad rem says:

Good mornin’ Treepers! I’d like to start your day off with what’s got to be one of the cutest child/animal videos I’ve ever seen. “Watson the dog stands by while the boy does a quick assessment of the puddle situation….”

2. brutalhonesty says:

History lesson:The kentucky rifle then, is the ak-47 and ar-15 of today. “The right of the PEOPLE to bare arms SHALL NOT be infringed.”
    “From a flat bar of soft iron, hand forged into a gun barrel; laboriously bored and rifled with crude tools; fitted with a stock hewn from a maple tree in the neighboring forest; and supplied with a lock hammered to shape on the anvil; an unknown smith, in a shop long since silent, fashioned a rifle which changed the whole course of world history; made possible the settlement of a continent; and ultimately freed our country of foreign domination.
    Light in weight; graceful in line; economical in consumption of powder and lead; fatally precise; distinctly American; it sprang into immediate popularity; and for a hundred years was a model often slightly varied but never radically changed.”

• texan59 says:

I always ♥ me some Clarice. This was especially truthfully brutal. Write it down, the Hilde-beest will be running for pOTUS in four years. Her actions during her tenure at the State Dep’t. will be seen as a badge of honor among the left. We should probably be more afraid of her than Imam Jawbone. :evil:

• texan59 says:

He should add that they need to get their testicles out from their wive’s purse, where they are also holding their spines and self-esteem.

3. Sharon says:

Maybe a quick look at the Bible — specifically, the Torah — can clarify matters.

Let me say right off — America does not replace ancient Israel. And we certainly should not bring back old rituals and regulations. But we can look for general principles, just as our founders did

I like this author’s overview of all the things going wrong with America at the moment and his use of that as an analytical tool (“What on earth is going on anyway??…Is God’s will being worked out??”) I especially like that he does it without coming across like he’s dancing on her grave.

• michellc says:

Why do I get the feeling that if God is trying to get our attention that the country has a large percentage of Lot’s wives?

• Sharon says:

That’s not a feeling, michellc. That’s a rational observation on your part.

We indeed have millions who would rather sacrifice their future, content to be a monument to what’s wrong rather than walk away from deception toward what’s right and strong.

4. ctdar says:

Egyptians riot after verdicts from last year soccer stadium deaths…

5. Bijou says:

A horrible nightclub fire in Brazil leaves at least 245 dead, and many more injured.
    According to one report, the place only had one door. Tragic.

• ctdar says:

I saw that, horrible….lived thru & indirectly knew some families from
      The Station nightclub fire, RI….fireworks again? :(

• Sharon says:

Yes, tragic. Also a stupid way to die. I don’t tend to frequent overcrowded places that have only one door and are known for overcrowding–with only one door.

But that’s just me.

I think such places should be outlawed. Oh. I bet they already are. Or–if they’re not–the next summer olympics should really be a blast.

But they still have plenty of customers, so they don’t mind paying the inspectors off who have the authority to close them down. As long as they have plenty of customers who don’t mind spending time in a death trap. With only door.

6. czarowniczy says:

Foggy day here, cool and damp. Four deer – two does and two fawns are in my back yard grazing on the cabbage and corn I placed down by the lake.

On a lighter note to begin the day, some restaurant wag in Philly has developed a taco that uses BACON as the shell vice that corn and slaked lime tasting thing. The bacon shell is filled with seasoned taco meat, four kinds of cheese, usual vegetation and topped with an avocado ranch dressing. For those with harvestable saphenous vein left, the steps on my odyssey to develop my own personal general purpose bacon food wrapper can be found at: http://bacontoday.com/bacon-taco-shell/, or http://manmadediy.com/users/chris/posts/1814-how-to-make-a-bacon-taco-shell, or http://www.myfridgefood.com/viewrecipe.php?recipe=20223. Post-dining help can be found at 911.

7. yankeeintx says:

I just got this in an email. I don’t know if it is true or not, but would like to believe that it is.

AN ACTUAL CRAIG’S LIST PERSONALS AD
    To the Guy Who Tried to Mug Me in Downtown Savannah night before last.
    Date: 2010-09-27, 1:43 am. E.S.T.
    I was the guy wearing the black Burberry jacket that you demanded that I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend, threatening our lives. You also asked for my girlfriend’s purse and earrings. I can only hope that you somehow come across this rather important message.
    First, I’d like to apologize for your embarrassment; I didn’t expect you to actually “poop” in your pants when I drew my pistol after you took my jacket.. The evening was not that cold, and I was wearing the jacket for a reason.. my girlfriend was happy that I just returned safely from my 2nd tour as a Combat Marine in Afghanistan .. She had just bought me that Kimber Custom Model 1911 .45 ACP pistol for my birthday, and we had picked up a shoulder holster for it that very evening. Obviously you agree that it is a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head … isn’t it?!
    I know it probably wasn’t fun walking back to wherever you’d come from with “poop” in your pants. I’m sure it was even worse walking bare-footed since I made you leave your shoes, cell phone, and wallet with me. [That prevented you from calling or running to your buddies to come help mug us again].
    After I called your mother or “Momma” as you had her listed in your cell, I explained the entire episode of what you’d done. Then I went and filled up my gas tank as well as those of four other people in the gas station, — on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home took 153 gallons and was extremely grateful!
    I gave your shoes to a homeless guy outside Vinnie Van Go Go’s, along with all the cash in your wallet. [That made his day!]
    I then threw your wallet into the big pink “pimp mobile” that was parked at the curb ….. after I broke the windshield and side window and keyed the entire driver’s side of the car.
    Earlier, I managed to get in two threatening phone calls to the DA’s office and one to the FBI, while mentioning President Obama as my possible target.
    The FBI guy seemed really intense and we had a nice long chat (I guess while he traced your number etc.).
    ;In a way, perhaps I should apologize for not killing you … but I feel this type of retribution is a far more appropriate punishment for your threatened crime. I wish you well as you try to sort through some of these rather immediate pressing issues, and can only hope that you have the opportunity to reflect upon, and perhaps reconsider, the career path you’ve chosen to pursue in life.. Remember, next time you might not be so lucky. Have a good day!
    Thoughtfully yours, Semper Fi,
    Alex

8. Josh says:

Here’s a question:
    If you could live in any of the 50 states that comprise The United States of America which would you choose?

• czarowniczy says:

The one that the Obama supporters do – a state of blissful ignorance?

• Menagerie says:

Georgia’s on my mind. Fortunately for me. I live on the side of a wooded ridge, right where I want to stay. Although I have always been tempted by some of the Rocky Mountain states and Texas.

9. czarowniczy says:

Usual Suspects are out shootin’ themselves up in NOLA left and right. We were getting early morning reports that late last night night a NOPD officer was shot while dealing with a Suspect in the eastern part of the city. There I was, flashing back on the prog’s standard excuse that ‘assault’ weapons should be banned as the cops are frequently out-gunned, until later broadcasts said that the suspect took the officer’s gun away from him during a struggle and shot him with it. I then flashed back years ago to the police academy where we told FBI stats showed that some 21% of police officers shot were shot with their own guns. Bad guys of all stripes practice disarming officers, we were shown films taken in California prisons of prisoners in the yard practicing disarming them. It’s a nasty world out there regardless of how the progs try to whitewash it, and there are more than enough bad guys to go around.

• Menagerie says:

Haven’t yet read the article, but may I hazard a guess? Is it because they are really, really big loser guys who couldn’t operate a bordello in a mining town? Because they couldn’t get in out of the rain? Because they don’t have the sense God gave a goose?

• texan59 says:

I’ve ben wondering about this for some time. Why, I don’t know, but I’m callin’ BS on it.

“Has Obama himself ever fired a gun? Yes, he says, he and others shoot skeet frequently at the president’s Maryland retreat, Camp David.”

With his delicate disposition, I’m guessin’ he’d be bruised up like a hemophiliac at the blood bank. :evil:

• Lou says:

I know I’ve mentioned this before, but what does the 2nd Amendment have to do with left or right?

10. ctdar says:

Stephan King on NRA….this is rich, considering he is one of the top authors on
    violence & gore. A comment mentioned he had written a book called rage about a student shooting up a school back in the ’80′s. When he got creamed in a car accident years ago I don’t recall him blaming the CAR.
    Hope his book sales drop thru the floor.

• texan59 says:

11. ctdar says:

This guy is a law professor at Georgetown? I thought that school was so prestigious. I guess they will let anyone teach there now…what an embarrassment.

• texan59 says:

I nearly threw my sofa throught the TV this morning when I saw this d-bag. Mrs. Tex looked at me with that WTF did I just hear look. :evil:

• cajunkelly says:

Here’s what I got with a Yahoo search:
      piers morgan is terrible,piers morgan is a jerk,piers morgan is an idiot,piers morgan is full of himself,piers morgan is rude,piers morgan is he married,piers morgan is boring,piers morgan is not going to last,piers morgan is a moron,piers morgan is deaf

12. ctdar says:

I really hope some like minded & disgustingly wealthy individual would get a liscense and operate a news station that would do its job and report the news warts and all. Can someone out there purchase a UK Media source as a franchise and operate it here in the US?? Please?
    ABC is disgraceful

13. stellap says:

This past week, with great showmanship, Obama squeezed the kids like triggers; he fired them like little emotional bullets into America’s heart to disrupt your ability to think clearly about what is happening to our country.