(Via WeaselZippers)  PHOENIX — Giving birth can be a blur but a Valley couple took a picture that brings it into crystal clarity.  The image of their baby reaching out of her mother’s womb to hold the finger of the doctor performing a C-section has gone viral.

Baby C-Section Cropped

The little baby’s name is Nevaeh – Heaven spelled backward.  Even the hospital staff told her parents there’s something almost spiritual about the picture of Nevaeh holding the doctor’s finger before technically being born.

“It was such an amazing photo.  [Hospital staff] had possibly heard of it happening but they had never seen a photo of it,” said Alicia Atkins, Nevaeh’s mother.

Few lives will be as well documented as little Nevaeh’s. Her mother is a professional photographer who owns A Classic Pin-Up in Glendale. However, it was her dad, Randy, who snapped the picture.

“The doctor called me over and said, ‘Hey, she’s grabbing my finger.’  So I ran over there and just grabbed the shot and I was just in awe looking at it.  It was such an amazing picture,” said Randy Atkins, adding that he was nervous about missing the precious and fleeting moment as he hurried to snap a picture.  (read more)

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Baby Reaches Out From Womb To Hold Finger Of Doctor Performing C-Section – Viral Picture

1. Irish Eyes says:

So beautiful! Thanks for posting.

2. ZurichMike says:

Lovely! What a great photo! (And a Happy New Year to you all — I was traveling (last minute) between Christmas and today).

3. michellc says:

What you see here is why I’ve never been able to comprehend how a woman who has carried and given birth to a child can support abortion. A Mother knows a baby is not a fetus or a lump of cells.

4. czarowniczy says:

All of the one-off-murderers in Congress who tout late-term abortion should see this picture- right before they tried and are stood up against the wall.

5. ftsk420 says:

When my youngest son was born in 08 he was delivered by c section. The doctor said the moment they opened my wife my son screamed and the doctor said it was the first time he had seen that in the 25 years of delivering babies.

6. g8rmom7 says:

Not to be a wet blanket, but is this a different photo than the one that was going around over a year ago and was doctored? Is this a totally different situation? I’m going to go search now.

• cajunkelly says:

That was my immediate reaction as well. Yes, the picture that was determined to be an urban legend was in color.

(odd,,.when I hit replit it allowed me to begin typing my reply up in the body of your original post…so if a “Th” shows up when I hit submit, this will explain it….here goes)

• Josh says:

This is a different photo. Whether any are real or not, I do not know.

• sundance says:

All the verification links are in the post, including links to media, and to video, and the mom’s actual Facebook page.

It’s legit. :D

7. TandCrumpettes says:

My first ultrasound was at or around 2 months. The “clump of cells” (sarcasm!!!) was still much too small for the traditional, microphone-looking-thingee ultrasound, so it was done…you know…how do I put this delicately? Internally?

It was wonderful seeing my daughter for the first time. Forget all of that “peanut” stuff, she looked like a little snowman with little snowball hands and feet. Your heart just melts…it really does.

But at the same time, its horrifying to think what people consider this growing life to be. A “clump of cells.” Bull!

Each time the technician pushed the “thingee” further to get a better look, my daughter’s little snowball hands started flailing. Her little snowball feet started kicking. 8 weeks along…the little thing knew, even at probably nothing more than a reflex, that something had “invaded” her home. SHE didn’t like it.

HER body responded, NOT MINE. I understand the situation – it’s dark in there, she couldn’t see anything. Even if she could, she didn’t have the brain to comprehend it. But at eight weeks, she had enough basic instinct to flail around in STRESS – and ultimately, calm down when the tech withdrew.

Its not as if she just sat there, “Oh, don’t mind me! I’m just a clump of cells over here! Knock me in the head with that thingee, I don’t mind. Just ask mom…its HER body, ya know?”

I saw it right there in black and white. The technician commented, “Oh boy! She hates this!” It really enrages me to hear this “clump of cells” garbage. I never considered my child as anything but a human being, but I admit I didn’t expect those shenanigans at the first ultrasound. 8 weeks…man…some women don’t even know they’re pregnant yet and many get abortions AFTER that.

8. AghastInFL says:

and then the doctor said ‘pull my finger…’
    sorry my silly sense of humor got the best of me.

9. kateyleigh says:

My youngest ended up being a c-section after the dr in checking my progress during labor discovered he was transverse with hand presentation. While checking,I had a contraction, his hand slipped through the cervix and grasped the dr’s finger. I remember his concern, but the smile as he said ‘ he has my finger’ :-) Cool stuff, that miracle of lfe!