12-28 George Zimmerman Case – Open Discussion Thread

Use this thread as an open thread just for Zimmerman Case stuff. A place to just dump, collect, or discuss general information about the Trayvon Martin VS George Zimmerman Case.

REMINDER – Please WATCH THE TONE and CONTENT of Commentary. Please be respectful, courteous and considerate of other readers and contributors. Please avoid hatespeak, angry rhetoric, vulgarity, personal attacks and condescension. If you wish to engage in vitriolic, racist, or bitter angry rhetoric, there are alternative sites on the internet more than welcoming to such considerations. But not here. Thank You.

About these ads
This entry was posted in George Zimmerman Open Thread, Trayvon Martin, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

103 Responses to 12-28 George Zimmerman Case – Open Discussion Thread

1. rumpole2 says:

Daily Daft Posts at Justarse Quest

I don’t want to offend people here… several of whom expressed offence at posts from The Trayvon Zone being given publicity here at CTH. I do appreciate that point of view, but personally, I don’t see it as giving their silly notions a boost, but rather mocking and belittling there notions. Just for laughs, but also at times a good lead into some more serious discussion in rebuttal.
    There were several posters here at CTH who seemed to view and appreciate the quoted posts similarly. So…….
    My solution to accommodate both groups of CTH posters is to post the Daily Daft Post at “Random Topics” and post a link here.
    It will be in a public area so people can just view without registering at the site, but those who wish to comment (not already members) are free to register.

2. justfactsplz says:

George and Shellie, I hope you had something that resembled Christmas at your house. Shellie, I hope you got something pretty for a pretty lady. George I hope you got something that brought you a moment of joy. God bless you both and keep your chins up.

3. jsjavascript says:

I posted 2x i didn’t want anyone to miss this

• dizzymissl says:

That’s awesome!!

• rooferx says:

Wow, look at the comments on that video. People are so brainwashed into guns=BAD, it’s pathetic.
      This hate for weapons has to stop. Is no one considered a responsible person anymore? Saying teachers will go crazy and shoot up the class full of kids…….these people are nuts.
      On the other hand, teachers are brought up “in the system” and are mostly Union, so they are brainwashed, they just don’t know it. I suppose it is possible they could push a teacher through even though they are a whack job.

• LouDaJew says:

eh, I don’t know. what if a Trayvon or any thug assaults a teacher? it has happened in the Public Schools(more than you think), and it does go unreported as Sundance has reported. I’m not sure that little women could defend herself against a larger high school student. the kids in schools today are pretty bad, and YES especially in the black schools.

like I posted last week, I saw 300 black students in Miami all running out of the school jumping on cars. M-DCPS wants to keep these issues hush hush. these kids are not so timid as the media wants you to believe. I would like to put every whiteTYrayvon supporter in an African American middle school classroom for a month just to see how they react

4. angel says:

POSITIVE QUOTE OF THE DAY
    —————————–

The sign of intelligent people is their ability to control emotions
    by the application of reason.
    – Marya Mannes (1904-1990) American Journalist

This seems to apply to many here on this blog.

5. diwataman says:

I got caught up in spam posting this on the other board so I’m just trying it here;

The Rabbit Hole of Trayvon Martin’s Suspension

6. diwataman says:

So apparently O’Mara is alive and well enough to talk to the media, for a while there I thought he go lost shopping for pinkie rings. Which makes me wonder if he plans on filing anything in regards to that case he has, you know, the George Zimmerman case? Hmm, don’t know, maybe we’ll see something today. If not he’s still got four whole days next week to file. I guess he could just wait till the SYG hearing and ask for a continuance, he’s got press to talk to and pinkie rings to buy after all, I wonder how well that will go down with this judge.

• Chip Bennett says:

Honestly, I don’t totally understand the complaints against O’Mara for allegedly dragging his feet.

Isn’t it the State who, after several months, has submitted a dozen sets of discovery evidence, and still isn’t finished? If the State had completed its submission of discovery, and O’Mara were still operating slowly, then I’d understand it. But as it is, he’s still not working from a full and complete set of information.

This is probably a question for the lawyers among us, but: isn’t that a bit extraordinary? Why should discovery take so long to be released, and why should it dribble out so slowly, especially when none of it is new?

• diwataman says:

Doesn’t he have like a hundred witnesses to depose? I’m sure he can file those while he’s continues his little discovery fight with the state. There’s a ton he can do in the meantime like maybe go to the FDLE like the judge told him, twice. Good questions though.

• Chip Bennett says:

Doesn’t he have like a hundred witnesses to depose?

Wouldn’t the content/context of some of those depositions depend on the information contained (or currently withheld) in State’s discovery? Isn’t it generally prudent to see everything the State has, before deposing someone? (After all, we know the State will balk whenever they can, if O’Mara moves to depose anyone a second time.)

…like maybe go to the FDLE like the judge told him, twice.

Laying aside the absurdity of Nelson’s instructions in the first place: do we know for sure that he hasn’t gone to FDLE yet?

• diwataman says:

Maybe that should be his next motion? We’ll call it the “I can’t do nuthin cuz the state” motion.

• jello333 says:

It looks to me like Mom and West think it’s VERY important that they depose people in a certain, specific order. And so I don’t expect them to change that strategy just because of the judge pretending she’s stupid. I don’t for a minute expect them to file anything directly attacking the judge. But I kinda DO expect them to go over her head and ask the DCA to take control of certain matters. “This is just far too complex and time-consuming for a single judge to handle. So even though we think Judge Nelson is a very competent, thoughtful, and hard-working judge, we ask that an additional judge be assigned to take some of the work-load from her while the discovery process moves forward.”

• tara says:

I’m thinking that too. We know for sure that O’Mara is waiting until he has the full intelligible recording of the DD1 interview before he deposes DDn

• jordan2222 says:

Well, I am sure you know that many of us here have the same questions about how the State has been able to violate the rules of discovery. As far I know, not one person here has been able to provide a legal or logical reason. It makes no sense.

How can O’Mara depose all of the witnesses without the discovery? He can’t unless he has the extra money to depose them twice, if needed, and also gets the OK from Nelson.

Where are the Florida criminal defense lawyers on this? I can no longer find any of their blogs about the case. No one wants to touch the issue.

Maddening.

• hooson1st says:

This is not a normal case. If this were a normal case, the indictment would not have been filed. So the prosecution and defense are approaching each other warily, as though they were scorpions.

GZ has a lot of public sentiment against him. He has the weight of the State’s judicial machinery inveighing against him. His lawyers have to be patient and deliberate and focused.

The State has a crappy case and is trying to strengthen it. As it does so, it finds out that this case has been sloppily investigated once the State assumed control. As of now, it still believes it has a winnable case.

These types of discovery dribbles are not unusual.

• John Galt says:

O’Mara apparently entered some sort of agreement to slow roll discovery. Pursuant to Rule 3.220, State should have made discovery within 15 days after O’Mara’s April 12 demand for discovery. Enforcement is via filing of motion(s) to compel discovery.

So potential queries for O’Mara include (1) Why agree to slow roll discovery when all of it is exculpatory? and (2) Why so stingy with motions to compel and for sanctions?

• jordan2222 says:

John Galt
          “O’Mara apparently entered some sort of agreement to slow roll discovery.”

I have heard this “theory” floated before but have yet to see anything to confirm that…. so to whom is it “apparent?”There are no valid reasons known to us as to why O’Mara would do something like that.

We are on the same train here. Something does not fit.

• justfactsplz says:

In the beginning Omara allowed things to move slowly for a reason. He truly wanted to neutralize all of the racial rhetoric and wanted things to calm down from the frenzy of all of the riots. Omara knew that race should never have played a part in this case. Unfortunately time has healed nothing. Racial tensions are still running high and I think it is so sad. Trayvon would have been someone George would have been willing to mentor because of his terrible home life and upbringing. I am appalled at the physical threats of violence being thrown around in this case.

• hooson1st says:

MOM’s priorty is on what is going to take place in court. He is not concerned with filling an understandable insatiable CTH appetite for more facts and documents which can then be further plumbed, corroborated and displayed in a coherent manner by the CTH army of fact-checkers.

• ottawa925 says:

Dman, re: “Which makes me wonder if he plans on filing anything”.

MOM is out of excuses this time around. I said in an earlier thread he should be reading this Judge like book. She caught him off balance the last time on the timing of the filings. I DO NOT want to see that mistake made again. The timing should be such that not only does he have his in on TIME, but it allows for the other side to have theirs in on TIME as well. Otherwise, they just wasting TIME. We want this moved along by the Judge and don’t want to hear that SHE didn’t have TIME to read and make a decision. There is no need for last minute filings in this case unless it is truly called for. I do wish they would post the transcripts of the deps they have done. Does anyone here believe Crump has been deposed yet?

• jello333 says:

Be nice, DMan! ;) I’m not worried. These guys know what they’re doing. And that now includes knowing this judge’s personality. They may have been caught off-guard by her before, but now they know who they’re dealing with. So I’m confident they have a plan.

• dmoseylou says:

I am not worried, either. Having seen and heard West in court, if he wanted to file any motions, he WOULD file them—no ifs, ands, or buts—whether MOM was in agreement or not. He strikes me as a very intelligent, thorough attorney that knows exactly what he is doing and when he should be doing it. As are many others here, I am anxious for more information to be released by the defense and State.
        “Patience is a virtue,” but it sure is hard sometimes to wait quietly. Nothing to be done about it though, so wait I will.

7. selfdefenseadvocate says:

Can someone please tell me what motions Mark O’Mara should be filing??? Perhaps I am wrong, but I don’t think he is obliged to tell us every time he takes a deposition or to reveal his strategy to the public. I have been deposed in a Florida lawsuit in the past and I never saw a copy of my deposition. I could have paid for a copy of the transcript, but saw no reason for it and there was no reason to make it public. I have just taken it for granted that O’mara’s time is being used taking depositions and working behind the scenes. (reving up his Harley getting ready for court). Hopefully someone will enlighten me about what O’mara should be doing. ???

• raiikun says:

Pretty much this. These hearings were scheduled at the Defense’s request to resolve issues with Discovery. If the issues at the last hearing were resolved, and no new issues have arisen since, there might not be any need to even have this January hearing.

The Defense has some areas to investigate that they needed the Court’s assistance before investigating. Chances are, that’s what’s happening now, with that assistance having been granted.

• selfdefenseadvocate says:

If no “new issues have arisen” and past issues have been resolved or at least being investigated, then it would make sense to wait until last minute to cancel the hearing if there is no need for it.

• diwataman says:

It could be anything from Notice’s of Depositions, Motions to Compel Discovery, perhaps a motion for the ABC recordings of W8, anything that moves the case forward. I don’t care what he tells the public, he’s the one to declare that he would post all public documents, I didn’t, but that’s a separate issue. I just have not seen anything filed with the court from O’Mara’s end since the last hearing. That might concern me if I had a SYG hearing scheduled in April, you know, might want to be prepared and all that.

• selfdefenseadvocate says:

DMan, I understand your concern, but we don’t know what is going on behind the scenes. Not everything in Florida falls under the Sunshine Law. I personally wish we didn’t have the law unless all other states would adopt it. IMO, O’Mara is probably already prepared for the SYG Hearing, because he says it is self defense. That is all he has to prove. My opinion of the judge is an entirely different story though…

• jello333 says:

Here’s where I think we might be at on all that: As for “Notices of Depositions”, I think MOM/West may not even know who they want to depose next until they’re finished with the ones they’ve already listed. As for Motions to Compel Discovery”, I think it’s possible that behind the scenes the judge told Bernie and Crump they better get moving, “or else”… at which point they’ve now complied. And as for getting the “ABC recordings of W8″… well, it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if Matt Gutman has already had private talks with MOM/West about just such a thing, and they may already have the tape. Now about MOM not publicly announcing any of that right away, I can say.

• sundance says:

DiwataMan’s concerns are valid. Continuously people project onto O’Mara an almost altruistic DNA strain. Unfortunately, the only way to really evaluate an attorney is to look at what is *actually* taking place – Not what you *believe* he is doing.

Seperate emotion, and don’t project traits onto O’Mara that do not exist and you will see how accurate DiwataMan is.

Actions speak louder than words.

• jordan2222 says:

The lack of activity concerns me as does the State continuing to withhold evidence/discovery without any explanation whatsoever. No sanctions or even reprimands against them for previous screw ups is also not a good sign.

I do not want to become “pessimistic” like DMan but he often does make sense, damn it. I only hope that a disagreement between West and O’Mara has not developed. That is of GREAT concern to me.

One other thought: Why don’t we see West actively participating at any pressers? O’Mara often chooses disconnected language but I think West would be a lot more affirmative when asked questions.

• hooson1st says:

I listened to MOM’s press briefing after the last hearing, and found him to be very effective and focused.

• John Galt says:

“Why don’t we see West actively participating at any pressers?”

Too smart. He litigates in court, not in the media.

• jello333 says:

My thought on why West doesn’t show up at press conferences: I think it’s his own decision. “You go ahead and do it, Mark. I definitely have some things I’d like to say, but I really don’t think they’d go over well, if you know what I mean.” He knows he’d be tempted to start screaming and cussing about the prosecution, Crump, and maybe even the judge… but he also thinks that would be bad for the case. So he just chooses to let MOM do the talking. All just IMO of course.

• John Galt says:

“I never saw a copy of my deposition.”

Depositions transcripts are typically presented to the deponent for review, correction and signature, unless the deponent waives that right. So if you never saw the transcript, possibilities include (1) you waived the right of review, (2) the deposition was not transcribed, which makes it impossible to use to impeach trial testimony, or (3) they didn’t follow the rule.

(e) Witness Review. If the testimony is transcribed, the transcript shall be furnished to the witness for examination and shall be read to or by the witness unless the examination and reading are waived by the witness and by the parties. Any changes in form or substance that the witness wants to make shall be listed in writing by the officer with a statement of the reasons given by the witness for statement of the reasons given by the witness for making the changes. The changes shall be attached to the transcript. It shall then be signed by the witness unless the parties waived the signing or the witness is ill, cannot be found, or refuses to sign. If the transcript is not signed by the witness within a reasonable time after it is furnished to the witness, the officer shall sign the transcript and state on the transcript the waiver, illness, absence of the witness, or refusal to sign with any reasons given therefor. The deposition may then be used as fully as though signed unless the court holds that the reasons given for the refusal to sign require rejection of the deposition wholly or partly, on motion under rule 1.330(d)(4).

“Perhaps I am wrong, but I don’t think he is obliged to tell us every time he takes a deposition or to reveal his strategy to the public.”

O’Mara has been filing notices of depositions in the public record case history.

• selfdefenseadvocate says:

Thank you for the witness review. I never waive any of my rights. My deposition was years ago though- in fact, I was being deposed at same time Hillary Clinton was being deposed in the White Water fiasco. My depo was longer than hers :) I asked to see my depo, but was told by the court reporter that it would take several days before the transcription would be available and I could get a copy but would have to pay for it. I never bothered and the case never went to court.

To get back on topic, I do not think it my place to question how George Zimmerman’s attorney handles his case. If GZ is satisfied with his attorneys, then it is none of my business how they choose to handle his case. Personally I think with at least 60 years experience between them they know what they are doing. In the meantime, I wiill remain Locked & Loaded.

8. raiikun says:

I’m not really making any assumptions here as to what he was doing. Just pointing out that there’s a whole lot of things that could be done and needs to be done that wouldn’t show up on a court docket, so lack of activity on that docket doesn’t mean nothing is happening.

9. brutalhonesty says:

they cant help themselves…jftm headlined their link to this gg article as if he tried to break out of jail, the gg headline and url suggest the same, when in reality all this is is how he was going to get from the jail to his safehouse without being followed by racist blacks….and the fact they tried so hard to find his safehouse proves valid his precautions.

10. Justice4All says:

I keep thinking about this silly narrative that Crump created and can’t stop picturing Forrest Gump in my head. Was Trayvon (Forrest Gump), Dee-Dee (Jen-nie), and Crump (Bubba)?

“Dee-Dee I’m scared”
    “run Trayvon……run”

Were there broken pieces of leg braces found near the scene? This could explain why Trayvon was only able to run 30 yards in 4 minutes.

11. brutalhonesty says:

how convenient, dressed like trayvon and like the 3 stooges in the 711 video

12. jordan2222 says:

Where is the New Year’s Eve Party this year?

13. eastern2western says:

These two idiots represent the perfect examples of trayvonits.
    1) They purposely edited out of the part where trayvon martin was on top of zimmerman beating the living day light out of him. some how, these two delusional idiots still believe zimmerman shot trayvon because of his race, but they ignore the evidence that is right in front of them.
    2) they still refuse to admit that they are wrong and they have been wrong since the beginning about the race factor
    3) still believe zimmerman was wrong for getting out of the car and stalking trayvon. If calling the cops for spotting suspicious behavior is classified as stalking, then we should all go to jail now.
    4) Still believe politics play a part in this case, but still can not see this as a simple case of self defense
    5) Not realizing they are digging their own grave. yes, kids, zimmerman is sueing nbc, but the beasley firm is happily adding other targets to its law suit.