UPDATE: These Were The “Initial” Questions Posed To Mr. Ryan Julison

UPDATE:  From Ryan Julison @8:05pm 11/28/12

Also, I am planning on writing answers to your questions but am still working.  It’s been a busy day.   If you don’t hear from me later tonight it will be tomorrow AM.

Ryan

As you are aware, we have been in contact with Ryan Julison, Media Consultant for the Trayvon Martin family and their Legal Representatives.    Mr. Julison has graciously agreed, very forthrightly, to answer all questions posed to him.

With that sentiment in mind here are the first questions posed to Mr. Julison yesterday via e-mail.

Dear Mr. Julison, thank you in advance for your candor.

1.) Are you currently under the advice of any legal representation in regard to your capacity to speak bluntly, truthfully, and honestly about the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of Trayvon Martin and your subsequent involvement with regard to any aspect of media presentation?

In short: Are you lawyered up?

2.) It is reported you became the official media consultant of the Trayvon Martin family on March 5th of 2012.  Is this correct? – Are you still working on their behalf in that capacity as of today?

3.) Who specifically contacted you and requested your services? On what date prior to Monday March 5th were you initially contacted?

Previously you had worked with Natalie Jackson on the Sherman Ware case. Had you any prior affiliation with any subsequent entity who became involved in the “case” against Trayvon Martin? In what capacity?

4.) During the March 8th press conference – which you coordinated – Tracy Martin stated he would not assist the Sanford Police Department in the recovery of telephone data from the telephone found at the scene. He would not provide the passcode to the account. Why?

5.) Where, and by whom did the term “White Hispanic” originate?

6.) From the outset, every media entity who engaged in coverage of the “initial story” used the race of Trayvon Martin and the race of George Zimmerman for the basis for their articles. Was race part of the media hook you established?

7.) Did you take any measures to stop, disuage or correct the media entities, of which you had specific contact, to correct their race-based reporting? Why or why not?

8.) Knowing now the FDLE and the FBI have fully investigated the “race angle” and found no justification for cause – do you still believe race played a factor in the events?

9.) On March 22nd at Mellon Park in Sanford FL you appeared on stage with various members of the New Black Panthers, the Martin Family, Benjamin Crump, Daryl Parks, and a host of interested parties. On March 26th Daryl Parks stated the Martin Family had no affiliation with the New Black Panther organization, yet they have appeared since 3/22 at numerous events together.  How do you reconcile this contradiction?

10.) Did you at any time provide material information about the criminal investigation exclusively to the Media?

11.) What was/is you relationship with the following:

• Matt Gutman (ABC)
      • Frances Robles (Miami Herald)
      • Joy-Ann Reid (Herald/NBC)
      • Russell Simmons (Global Grind)
      • Jeff Weiner (Orlando Sentinel)
      • Rene Stutzman (Orlando Sentinel)
      • Daralene Jones (Orlando Fox affiliate)

12.) Have you been financially compensated for any activity surrounding the Trayvon Martin case, including but not limited to your time an expenses?

13.) If so, in what amounts? (roughly)

14.) Were you part of, or impetus for, any decisionmaking to remove from public forums any information about Trayvon Martin including, but not limited to:

• Social Media Accounts (any)
      • Public Records
      • Prior affiliations.

15.) Who provided the initial media package (early March) to the media including photographs?

16.) Why were only 5 year old photographs provided, and why was no more recent information provided?

17.) Have you ever looked at the social media history of Trayvon Martin?

18.) If so, how did it affect your decisionmaking moving forward?

19.) Why was the relationship between Brandy Green and Tracy Martin diminished?

20.) Who was the decisionmaker to remove Chad Green from any media exposure.

21.) Prior to taking on the job of Media Consultant did you do any independent investigative work on your own?

22.) Did you hire anyone to do anything as outlined in #21 above.

23.) Do you have direct knowledge of any specific acts of deception by any party involved in the case against George Zimmerman. Are you aware of any lies told by legal representatives of the Martin family?

24.) Who made the decision to change the last name of Javaris Fulton to “Martin”?

25.) Given the numerous parties physically, emotionally, and financially injured as a consequence to the racial narrative sold by a willing media – do you feel any:

• - responsibility?
      • - remorse?
      • - regret?

26.) Have you seen any factual mistakes presented by myself? if so will you please outline and provide me the opportunity to review or correct?

27.) Are you going to pass your response (to these questions) through legal representation, in advance of submission, to parse any potential liability?

28.)  Lastly, are you open to further contact and questioning either in writing, by phone, or in person?

Thanks again for your time, attention, honesty and candor.

Warmest regards,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To which Mr. Julison replied:

OK.  It’s nearly 1:30 a.m. and I have to get started early with the FAMU case in the morning, so I’ll get back to you on this tomorrow.

About these ads
This entry was posted in media bias, Ryan Julison, Trayvon Martin, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

98 Responses to UPDATE: These Were The “Initial” Questions Posed To Mr. Ryan Julison

1. rumpole2 says:

27.) Lastly, are you open to further contact and questioning either in writing, by phone, or in person?

Fingers crossed… a video taped interview ? :D

2. recoverydotgod says:

Related to Question #4

1. Was the incident report that was “released on Thursday” [per the OS 3/8/2012 reporting], where the questions arose related to the phone by reporters?

2. The impression from media reports for about a week seemed to be that all TM was carrying was Skittles and Arizona Ice Tea [right brand... different drink]. He had a phone as well, right? Did you try to correct this information?

Dad: Arrest crime watch volunteer who killed my son
    By Rene Stutzman, Orlando Sentinel

7:11 p.m. EST, March 8, 2012

[snip]

When police arrived, an officer overheard Zimmerman complain, “‘I was yelling for someone to help me but no one would help me,'” according to an incident report released Thursday. It also noted that, the back of Zimmerman’s shirt was wet and had grass clippings on it, as if he’d been on his back on the ground.

[snip]

3. metrometeor says:

27 twice just saying

Also, I’m intrigued in what would the answers be.

4. arkansasmimi says:

Fingers crossed he answers ANY of these truthfully. Good job SD.

5. jello333 says:

Sundance, I know you said there may be more questions for Julison later, but just wondering why nothing about Dee Dee yet? Of course he may not be privy to the specifics re. her, but you never know. Here was the question I posed in the other thread last night:

Did Dee Dee listen to the NEN call and read the various statements by George, or was she made aware of the contents of that call and those statements, BEFORE she did her interview and gave her statement to BDLR?

• sundance says:

There are literally a bazillion questions I could assemble from my own thoughts, and from the awesome considerations of all you guys and gals too….

There are also multiple concentric and interconnected strands of prior activity that weave a tight collective ball of narration. Kaiser Soze is a good consideration for discussion but before attempting to find that individual strand, I think it better to seek first to understand what “intents” applied.

Understand what Ryan Julison actually represents at this part of the case against George Zimmerman. His advocacy, his effective advocacy, his goal to move the ball per se’ is done – he’s essentially done his part.

If, as we have meticulously outlined, things were indeed formulated, created, advanced and sold, as they appear,…. moving forward – Ryan Julison is actually “A RISK” to the Scheme Team.

• jello333 says:

“Kaiser Soze is a good consideration for discussion but before attempting to find that individual strand…”

Gotcha, makes a lot of sense. I’m really in awe of how you’re handling all this. When the books are written, the Treehouse, and you in particular, are definitely gonna have a chapter or two. (And you better start thinking about who you wanna play you in the movie.)

• jordan2222 says:

With some Amos n Andy makeup, SD would be perfect for the starring role….Mr. Benjamin Crump. He knows how he thinks and he sure as hell has Crumpese down to a linguistic science.

• ottawa925 says:

Although not American, I’d like to see SD played by Gary Oldman, who is one of my favs. Always gives a riveting performance, just like SD.

• jello333 says:

Didn’t he play Dracula a long time ago? Yeah… that’ll work.

• ottawa925 says:

even better he plays … Smiley … may I direct your attention. And after you watch this … tell me this IS NOT our very own Sundance:

• jello333 says:

Ah… no, I don’t think I’d mess with that guy.

• ottawa925 says:

Well, that’s just it. You don’t need to mess with him. You just need to mess. And he will find out. It was his job to find out who the mole was at the top of the British Intelligence Agency. Like Sundance … little by little he put all the pieces together.

the ending, the mole exposed and under arrest, Smiley returns to his job at British Intelligence … no doubt to begin work on the next case:

• Why dont you ask him if he would be willing to address your readers and present his side of the story, his reasons for taking on the case, and what his plans for the future are :)

6. selfdefenseadvocate says:

Excellent questions, SD!

7. Patiently waiting for answers on all of these great questions…

8. arkansasmimi says:

Well I didnt win the HUGE POWERBALL tonight. Hoping some of yall fellow treepers had better luck :)

• jello333 says:

No luck here. But at least I played this time, so I had a shot. I figure, for half a billion dollars, it’s worth wasting a few dollars. But on normal draws, when it’s only a measly $20 or $30 million, I don’t even bother. ;)

• Sha says:

arkansasmimi: Nop! didn’t win…. But I can DREAM. :D

• jello333 says:

I can pretty much imagine what it would be like to win some huge sum of money, say maybe a million or two. I can easily visualize what we could do with that, and how it would change our lives. But the amount of money in last night’s drawing?… umm… nope. That is just mind-boggling. They say it wound up at $588 million, which means that each of the two winners will get half that. If they choose to take a lump sum (rather than annual payments for 20 years) then each of them will get about $190 million… and that’s “after taxes”.

So just for fun, I said what if you were lazy, and didn’t wanna invest or start businesses, or anything. You just take all that money and stick it the bank, and let it accumulate interest. I know there’s various kinds of savings accounts, but just say you get a modest 2%. Well, just on the interest, you would make $3.8 million a year. That’s about $317,000 a month. Or…. about $10,500 a day! Yeah… just using the interest, you could spend over $10,000 PER DAY, and the principle would not decrease by one cent.

Like I said…. I just can’t even get my head around that.

• Sha says:

I would like to do thing’s for people with out them knowing where it came from. I wouldn’t wont anyone to know I won because it would spoil the fun for me.

• arkansasmimi says:

Know whatcha mean! I could live off the interest of just a measly Million ;) Wasnt there a show one time about having to spend the money with in a certain amnt of time, yet couldnt give it away? Would you take a job, for 30 days, that started out a penny the first day and doubled the amount every day. Would you? I WOULD! Take a penny and x2.=.02 , .02x.02= .04 .04 x .04= ,016 and so on. LOL at end of month over MILLION $! Mindblowing!

• jello333 says:

I hadn’t thought of that doubling a penny thing for awhile. The first I heard that was WAY back when I was in like 3rd or 4th grade. The teacher asked if we’d rather somebody give us a penny and double it every day for a month, or just give us $10,000. I was one of only about 5 kids in the class to say I’d do the penny thing; everyone else said they wanted the $10K. Not only that, but they laughed at those of us who took the doubled penny… that is until the teacher did the calculation on the blackboard, showing that some of us were now millionaires. ;)

• arkansasmimi says:

lol I think I was in the 6th grade maybe, when same thing went on in class. I loved doing it with my daughters as a math project when they were young. Ahh memories and dreams hee hee I also think about it every now and then too, my youngest dtr would find a penny on the ground and say she was working on being a Millionairess :)

9. recoverydotgod says:

Thank you, Sundance.

Justice. Justice. Justice.

Amos 5:24

10. justfactsplz says:

I am cautiously awaiting the answers to these questions, kind of believe it when I see it.

• ottawa925 says:

I have to agree with you. Answers to these questions will inch by inch put one far out on a limb. Why would he be willing to do that? Only one answer comes to my mind. He knows that tree is gonna fall and his only chance is to get to a far limb, and jump at the last moments from disaster … and maybe … just maybe … end up on your feet … unscathed.

11. cajunkelly says:

Ain’t holdin my breath…

got a feelin these questions are being run by legal counsel first….

just sayin

• cajunkelly says:

Tomorrow AM is now tomorrow PM, and I hear crickets.

• ottawa925 says:

Well, there are quite a few questions … takes time to THINK and compose for ordinary ppl. Our SD, however, is far from ordinary. A a rare gem that can do all that standing on his head. I thought the questions posed by SD were quite stealthy. I like that. Stealth is so important these days.

• Sharon says:

I’m realizing through all of these months how much the behavior of the participants reveals–regardless of exactly what it is they do. I think the same thing is true here: the value of this particular process is not entirely dependent on the exact answers given. The content of the answers is only a part of what is revealed. The process (and/or the lack of content) also reveals a great deal.

Consider how much the White House’s refusal to answer questions about Benghazi has revealed…..their endless digging-in keeps revealing more and more.

• ctdar says:

Or being used much like the casey anthony legal team used the blogosphere to craft her defense & prep their witnesses to hook the jury

12. jordan2222 says:

Calling all of the lawyers and legal minds:

IF Julison really did not get paid, would that affect his potential future liability?
    ========================
    He has done his “job” and he did it better than most would have imagined. In fact, the way I see it, he has now become a liability to Crump, his “team” and the State.

• Julison could blow the whistle if he knows something, write a book about it and cash in! As far as liability I am sure he has some kind of contract with who ever hired him to be free from any civil damage.

• ytz4mee says:

He probably carries some sort of E&O and thinks that exonerates him.

• jordan2222 says:

What makes you “sure he has some kind of contract with who ever hired him to be free from any civil damage?”

Do you know something none of us know? If not, would you please not speculate? We take this case seriously.

I can’t imagine how a contract could ever legally relieve him of hurting others. If my sister hires me to maliciously smear you and your family publicly and the contract says you can’t sue me, would you abide by it? Please think about what you are saying.

13. stormreaper says:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/launch-federal-investigation-malicious-prosecution-george-zimmerman-seminole-county-florida/TWv1G7lk We need to get a petition into investigating what was obviously a show investigation and prosecution motivated by political pressure. This is the only petition on there re: this, so I signed it. Maybe you guys can too, and spread the link around to those willing to. It takes a little while to sign up- unfortunately it’s not so easy as just clicking it. Anyway.. I wanted to post this at the top of the next GZ thread, so someone else please post this link. Thanks. Oh.. and http://emeraldharlequin.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/politically-motivated-prosecution/ Which is mostly based on things I’ve read here, but I added some to it. Would be glad to add any more evidence of political motivation to it.

14. Ask this guy if he has been contacted by anyone in Angela Corey’s office about the Trayvon Martin case also ask him if he knows of any evidence being withheld by Ben Crump!

15. Honestly, you should consider working on your interview technique, you needed to only break the ice and get a response first, your forcing him to answer too many questions up front, that is why he is dancing around responding, really would you want to sit there and answer all of those questions if you were in his shoes…Your first question was great, should have followed by a few simple questions then waited for a response and get the dialogue flowing, in all honesty you need to ask him to give his side of the story and his reason for doing what he did as well, you cant just attack, you must give him a gateway to give his side as well!

• sundance says:

You assume I have not.

• Im just putting it out there, I read the questions and you came off too strong, you might have blew your load too quick :) You should have taken your time with this opportunity, I am hoping you didnt scare him off!

• sundance says:

You are walking in to a conversation that has been taking place for 8 months… in steadily increasing sensibilities….. and acting “as if” it has just begun.

Assumptions are NOT your friend.

• jello333 says:

But it could have just as easily gone the other way. I mean, had Sundance just asked a couple preliminary questions first and then said, “After you answer these, I’ll ask you some others”…. well, then there was nothing to keep Julison from writing back and saying, “I’m sorry, but I don’t have time to continue this right now. But I do appreciate the opportunity to answer those questions you asked me.” And that might have been the end of it. Instead, SD chose to hit him with a bunch of questions right at first. That way, if Ryan doesn’t want to answer them all, he’d have to explicitly REFUSE to answer specific questions that have already been put to him. Seems to me, it would be much harder to wiggle out of that, then my first scenario. (And Sundance, I apologize if I’m way off-base in my reasoning here.)

• sundance says:

When you ask someone if they are willing to discuss (______), and they affirm, the entry point is to ask “no matter what”? and when they affirm their willingness. Then use the opportunity.

Most answers, of the nature discussed here, are found in what is NOT replied to. A non response, or an unwillingness to answer, can be just as valuable as a response when you are in the disinfecting sunlight of TRUTH.

Kinda hard to duck for cover when you have willingly walked into a wide open field. That’s not to say people don’t try, they do; They just look silly doing it.

• jordan2222 says:

He is new but Damn, you are being unusually patient.

• jello333 says:

Yeah, I wouldn’t have even responded to that guncleaning guy had I known you were going to. (Seeing how he was kinda trollish, I thought you might just ignore him.) So anyway, I knew my response to him wouldn’t be exactly right, but I also didn’t wanna let that him think people here agree with him re. your tactics.

• Trust me if he does not answer every single question he would be judged for it!

• Sharon says:

Oh, good grief. Get a clue. Or go clean your gun or something. We understand new commenters needing to get the hang of the neighborhood but sheesh………..

• ytz4mee says:

Okay, now that was just plain funny.
          Thanks.

• Sharon says:

Here’s why……..judging includes the idea of evaluating and weighing evidence. The evidence indicates that you walked into an ongoing conversation and with no warning began to judge Sundance to be lacking in his interview skills.

Your comments indicate that you don’t understand the context, the history, the intent or the research basis of the current conversation, but yet you feel that it is appropriate impose your judgments on the process.

As I evaluate your approach and the content of your comments, I arrived at personal conclusions about the process. Hence–my judgment.

• ytz4mee says:

Speaking of coming on too strongly and the need to “break the ice” first, what ever happened to the quaint bloggy tradition of introducing yourself as a newbie to a board, instead of kicking the door down without feeling the need to knock, and then being a know-it-all blowhard? Netiquette. I miss it. :-(

Next thing you know, he’ll be telling me I don’t belong here. Snort.

• Sharon says:

Oh, that’s right…… that hit ‘n run who told you you might want to move along…… heh. Gonna have to get the kitteh cleanin’ some o’ these tubes, I’m thinkin’ !

• jordan2222 says:

“what ever happened to the quaint bloggy tradition of introducing yourself as a newbie to a board?”

You are correct and that is the way it used to be done, but who even posts that any more? No one knocks. They just barge in. Must be a Prog thing that caught on. Manners are now old fashioned, ya know.

Do we have a welcome page here?

• jello333 says:

I think my first comment here (around the 1st of May) was doing just that… introducing myself. I also said that I had a long comment I’d like to post, but I wanted to have it just right before posting, and that I’d get back here when I was ready (and after I familiarized myself with all the earlier GZ/TM stuff). Well, that “comment” turned into like 3 pages long, and so I sent an email (I think Puddy ended up getting it) with the whole thing, asking if it was OK to post something that long on the site. So instead of having me post it in some random thread, she put it in the body of one of the main posts that admins put up. And that was my intro to the site. ;)

• jordan2222 says:

I do not remember what happens when someone comes here for the first time. Is there a “welcome” page or anything that says to introduce yourself?

Most sites used to be like that and they were plastered with “must read” stickies as well as rules and/or guidelines.

I feel badly for newbies who come here and know nothing about our customs and knowledge. We jump on them when they do not immediately fit in but I think they do it out of ignorance or they come from sites that have a bunch of idiots acting like unruly thugs.

The latest newbie probably meant no harm and maybe he was doing what is “normal” at other poorly run sites.

You have to admit that we have an above average community of well mannered folks here and a great group of mods who run a tight ship while still allowing a lot of latitude. Most of us know each other and with only a few exceptions, we all show respect for each other.

Do you know if we have a welcome page for newbies?

• jello333 says:

I don’t remember if you get some kind of “greeting” message or something like that when you first sign up. But as for a specific place to write your intro…. nope, I’m pretty sure there’s nothing like that. I think I just went to whatever the most recent GZ thread was, and posted a comment in there at random. “Hi, I’m here! You are some REAL lucky people to have me here now!” ;) But this guy tonight who started on Sundance, he was nothing compared to someone a week or two ago. He came in and jumped all over one of the admins, I think it was ytz. And obviously not REALIZING it was an admin/mod, this person started saying things like, “I think you’re on the wrong site. We don’t say things like that here. You should probably just go find another site to post at.” It was HILARIOUS.

• ytz4mee says:

When the site was much smaller, and before we had tons of drive-bys, we did something similar, where people explained what their Gravatar meant/its history as a way of introduction. Far too unwieldy now. In many respects, I miss those days.

• gannasview says:

I found this site when I started doing some research on the web to find something or someone who shared my thoughts on GZ. I felt to my core that he was being railroaded, but I didn’t know where to start to find answers. I knew that from the moment I heard that Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson were involved, this case was a sham. My first introduction to an article was the update about the research of TM being on Lean. I thought it was remarkable research. I knew my gut instinct was still very much intact! I read a lot of comments and watched all the videos before I ever made one comment. The amount of research I have read on this site has been incredible. Even though I don’t comment often, I read everyday! I share this site with anyone who will listen. KUDOS to all who make this site the best on the web. It keeps me encouraged to know that everyone is not blind to the injustice being done the George Zimmerman and his family. If it encourages me, imagine what it must do for the Zimmerman family!!!

• jordan2222 says:

We are a rag tag bunch of Wolverines.. crying out from the wilderness for justice and truth. I may not be entirely correct because I have not visited all websites but as far as I know, we are the only that has consistently maintained our positions from the start with DAILY updates and thoughtful, respectful dialogue.

I would like to think that our efforts have contributed to a change in the perspectives of others and that we have possibly even been an asset to the defense.

WOLVERINES!!!!

• justfactsplz says:

Very nice Jello. My intro was a disaster. I fell through the door and introduced myself way too much. Thank goodness for the nice Treepers who put me back on my feet.

• jello333 says:

Yeah, I remember. A lot of people would have just given up and walked away, but you stuck it out. Which is part of the reason I think so many people here have so much respect for you now. Speaking for myself, I’m most definitely glad you stuck around.

• Sha says:

I’m definitely glad she stuck it out to…. :D

• justfactsplz says:

I believe in standing up for what is right. Sometimes I stand alone, but I still stand.GZ has not given up and I won’t give up on him. I am very grateful to guys for sticking with me when you could have turned your backs. I knew I was perceived as guilty by association but trusted in God to work it all out. We can only be responsible for our own actions and do not have control over others.

• 22tula says:

That’s a good idea jordan2222

• justfactsplz says:

Go Wolverine!

• Angel says:

“Oh, good grief. Get a clue. Or go clean your gun or something.”
        LOL :D

• selfdefenseadvocate says:

cmg, Be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot while “cleaning your gun”. Sundance knows what he (she?) is doing.

16. eastern2western says:

Julison will not answer any questions that are connected with the case because his name is probably numero uno on the defense witness list. Being an experienced consultant, Julison will dance the macarena when ever sundance asked him sensitive questions. Or he may just pull a sabrina fulton and just blame the world that is trying to kill trayvon martin.

17. John Galt says:

No answers yet? Need help?

1. Yes, all lawyered up, thanks.

2. Yes and No.

3. I don’t recall.

3. I am unaware of any “case” against Trayvon Martin. Wow there are two 3s, is this a trick?

4. I don’t know anything about the phone or PIN.

5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans

6. I don’t know anything about the racial allegations. Somebody else said something about a 600 lb. elephant. Not me.

7. No, I have no authority or control over any media reporting.

8. I don’t know anything about racial motivations. I am merely a conduit between client and media.

9. I don’t know anything about the NBP. I have not had any communications with the NBP.

10. I have to respect confidentiality of my sources, if any.

11. I am held in high esteem by many members of the media with whom I have professional relationships, including those listed.

12. No money, I do it for the good of the community. I am a breatharian, and thus don’t need money.

13. No money. No assets. Unlimited Florida Homestead Exemption. First, Second and Third Mortgages. Get it?

14. No.

15. I was merely a conduit for materials provided by others.

16. I don’t know.

17. No, I was too busy scrubbing my own social media.

18. I didn’t make any decisions.

19. I don’t know.

20. I don’t know.

21. No, I think somebody else hired a PI, but they didn’t report to me.

22. No.

23. No.

24. I don’t know.

25. I am unaware of any injury and certainly didn’t cause any injury.

26. Please post that I am a consummate professional PR consultant whom you personally recommend without reservation. Please delete all the other stuff.

27. No need, the lawyer wrote all the answers.

28. No, the lawyer thinks this is a bad idea.

• arkansasmimi says:

LOL Hey you did pretty good ! Go look at the response article up now :)

• rumpole2 says:

Well done… a lot better than Julison did :D

Have you considered a career as a “Media Consultant”?

The pay is not much good, given all the work you do for free, but you get all the fun of making stuff up and manipulating people’s lives.