Sunday Open Thread – November 18th

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Sunday Open Thread – November 18th

1. WeeWeed says:

Amen. Morning, all! Clarice, with “The Gingerbread Man.”

2. michellc says:

I heard on the news about people already lining up waiting for black Friday. I have to assume if you can camp out a week waiting to buy a tv then you probably have no job, so I’m just curious as I’m always told these folks have it so rough living on $200/month food stamps and $300/month welfare. If that is so then how are they able to afford a HD tv?
    Also, how sad is your existence that you would camp out in a parking lot for a week to be the first in line for the opportunity to buy a tv?

• Mikado Cat says:

What is most hated by those who support failed philosophies are examples of success in others. In the 70’s there was a fairly successful attempt to remove the fun from cars, and it was only reversed due to the disastrous economic results to the US auto industry and the ripple into all related businesses. In that decade foreign cars went from rare to common, and all at the expense of the US auto makers. Jimmy Carter, Jerry “moonbeam” Brown both had a hand on the toilet lever that sent all the related jobs away forever.

It is necessary for the left to make poverty comfortable, and examples of how much better life could be with a good education and a good job are counter to keeping people poor and happy.

I know people who drive the autobahn, and I live in Calif, our drivers are NOT ready for higher speed. They certainly could be educated, but a frequent question new owners of the specific car I have is where is the cup holder. When a car is expected to be driven 150 MPH it doesn’t come with a cup holder.

3. czarowniczy says:

From an Israeli news site:

Sunday, November 18, 2012
    Twitter suspends accounts for tweeting anti-Obama cartoon

Twitter has suspended three accounts owned by an Orthodox Jew for tweeting a cartoon of President Obama stabbing Israel in the back .

Without warning, Twitter suspended a series of three accounts owned by an Orthodox Jew from New York City Wednesday and Thursday, after one of them tweeted a cartoon depicting the Obama administration stabbing Israel in the back. The social media company refused to tell The Daily Caller if the cartoon was the reason it shut the accounts down.

Twitter also wouldn’t say why it hasn’t taken similar action against the terror group Hamas and its supporters for tweeting “Death to the Jews” and other threats of violence.

The suspended accounts, named @RealGazaPeace, @RealGazaPeace1 and @GazaRealStory, were all operated by 25-year-old Benjamin Reisman.

***OK, y’all, coffee bet on how long it will be before this appears in the MSM? I’m planting my coffee bean now…

4. Arkindole says:

Of note…

11:40 PM USA Embassy in Tel Aviv suspending consular services tomorrow, Monday Nov 19:

The U.S. Embassy will be operating at reduced staffing levels on Monday, November 19, and routine consular services are being suspended for that same day. Embassy families have been instructed to keep their children home from schools in areas south of Herzeliya. Embassy personnel from Beer Sheva have temporarily been relocated to Herzeliya. Non-essential official travel by Embassy staff to the south of Israel remains prohibited.

U.S. citizens are encouraged to exercise caution and take appropriate measures to ensure their safety and security in light of the escalating level of violence in Gaza and Israel. U.S. citizens should pay close attention to their surroundings and news reports, and follow the civil defense guidance provided by the Home Front Command. The Government of Israel’s Home Front Command website provides information on how to choose a secure space or room in a home or apartment. Visitors may also seek information on shelters from hotel staff or building managers. Please click here for further emergency preparedness guidance provided by the Home Front Command. read more here

5. Arkindole says:

Trying a vid here…first time…

6. Sharon says:

Just now reading Jeff Shaara’s The Rising Tide: A Novel of World War II (the North Africa campaign between Montgomery’s forces and Rommel’s)….and found this paragraph:

Churchill stared out to sea again, said, “Gentlemen, failure is more expensive in London than it is here. I must answer to the parliament and to the people, people who know know beans about war. But they know humiliation, and we’ve had quite a\enough of that.” …. Defeat I can take. But not disgrace. England won’t stand for it. I won’t stand for it. We need a victory, Monty. You have far more armor than the Eighth Army has had before. That should inspire you to take a chance here and there.”

Is that perhaps our problem–that we have not yet, as individuals, come to grips with the reality that what is making us so angry is the fact of being disgraced by Osama bin Laden and humiliated by Barack Hussein Obama. We are not accustomed to thinking of ourselves, as Americans, as being candidates for either national disgrace or humiliation.

We’ve been angry. Perhaps we need to consciously acknowledge we’ve been humiliated by our enemies and disgraced by our leaders.

• Arkindole says:

1 Thes 5:1-6
      I would propose that they accept disgrace because they are of darkness. Destruction will come to them suddenly–It’s not yet time.

• WeeWeed says:

My (step)Grandfather, Mack, fought in Africa during this time. I heard much about both Rommel and Monty as a kid and SO wish that I’d paid more attention. I still have pictures of him in Egypt – he said that a nastier people in general he’d never been around and this was a kid that left home at 12 and hung with hoboes back in the day. Mack is rolling in his grave.

• dreamerspirit says:

Sharon, you make an excellent observation. Personally I feel like I have been grieving, with anger being one of the known stages of grief and denial another. Some people are still in denial as to what is happening to our nation. However, I will never reach the stage of acceptance.

• Sharon says:

Just to be clear, I don’t mean “accepting being disgraced”…..I meant to realize that this is literally what they have done and are doing: they ARE and disgrace, and they are DISGRACING us continually. Thinking about that helps me see the legitimate reason for deep, deep national anger (expressed from a personal level on up) rather than just having “internal anger” with nothing to be done about it.

Hope that makes some sense. So often I have to sharpen what I meant to mean to say! ;) Maybe you weren’t even referring directly to that–I’m reading this on the small box right now, and perhaps am not understanding your comment in context…will take another look in a moment…I just spilled a gallon of laundry detergent on the garage floor, just wasted 4 rolls of paper towels picking it all up, trying to get the floor thoroughly dry so DH or I don’t kill ourselves, and I’m a little scrambled at the moment. :evil:

• dreamerspirit says:

LOL…Just picturing your dilemma. I know it is not funny, but it sounds like something I would do…so I can not help but laugh.

As to my comment on acceptance…I was not referencing what you said, but rather the various stages of grief, with acceptance being the final stage. What I meant was I grieve and part of my grief is anger for what is happening to this great nation, but I will never accept what it is becoming. I will fight for our freedoms and liberty to the best of my ability with every fiber of my being as long as God allows me the ability to do so.

7. 22tula says:

Aaron Klein – WABC77 Sundays 7 – 9PM, EST
    Listen online Live or Later

Klein Online

8. Quiet here today!

You know how this time of year you get the Boy Scouts or similar doing a food drive outside of your grocery store? Here’s a fun thing my Mom taught me.

I usually ask what they are most in need of, and I buy those things. But I also add in a few things like: fruit roll ups, pop tarts, canned soup or pasta shaped like popular cartoon characters, goldfish crackers and juice pouches. I think about the junky treats my kids enjoy (and take for granted) and imagine what it must be like to want to buy that stuff for your kids, but you can’t. I know nutrition is important but heck…so is fun!

9. texan59 says: