Thursday June 4th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to Thursday June 4th – Open Thread

1. citizen817 says:

2. Whistling_Past says:

source: icr.org

3. Anyone have the transcript of hrc’s testimony yesterday ? Anyone ?
    Crickets………….

4. Garrison Hall says:

5. Lucille says:

Happy Cursday….

6. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Call Me Crazy

by Pastor Kevin Sadler

“For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God…” (2 Cor. 5:13).

The Greek word translated as “beside ourselves” means, in this context, to be out of one’s right mind, insane, or mad. Because of his zeal for the truth and constant drive to live for the Lord and get the gospel out to the lost, the Apostle Paul was viewed as being crazy. With his fervor for serving the Lord, he seemed like a man out of balance and fanatical to the world.

In Acts 26:4-23, we learn how Paul shared the testimony of his conversion before Governor Festus and King Agrippa. In verse 24 of this passage, we read that “Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad.” This statement put Paul in the best of company. People also said our Lord was “beside Himself” and “mad.” Mark 3:21 tells us, “And when His [the Lord’s] friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on Him: for they said, He is beside Himself.” Likewise, in John 10:20: “And many of them said, He hath a devil, and is mad….”

Being called crazy for the sake of Christ is not an insult, but a compliment for the believer. If people think we’re crazy because we live for the Lord, that’s a good thing. It shows we’re following the Lord and His Word. Following the Lord and living by His Word will make us appear different to the world because we’re not going with the flow and we are not living “according to the course of this world” (Eph. 2:2), and so it seems to them that we’re a bit off and crazy.

Dogmatism, belief that the Bible is absolute truth, also makes people think you’re crazy. Dogmatism is uncommon and unacceptable in a society that demands tolerance. When you say that, based on the Word of God, something is the absolute truth, the world will think you’re crazy. The Word of God, however, is an absolute. It is our authority. When it says that there is only one way to God, and it’s through the Lord Jesus Christ, that’s the truth, and we must proclaim it, even if people call us crazy.

As we follow Paul as he followed Christ (1 Cor. 11:1), we too, like Paul, should have a deep-seated devotion for the Lord, consumed with a zeal for the things of God, living for unseen, eternal things. This will make people think you’re out of your mind, but that’s good. It’s good to be called crazy for the Lord. Like Paul, we remember that if we appear to be out of our right mind because we hold nothing back and are zealous and dogmatic, “it is to God,” it’s to please, honor, and glorify Him.

• rrick says:

In those days of a not so distant past, when the term ‘Jesus Freak’ was meant as a personalized pejorative descriptor, a family friend described herself as such. Her e-mail address was JesusFreak@…. She heart-fully claimed the appellation.

C.S. Lewis famously declared that Jesus was either a nut, crazy as a loon, or is as he said he is. There is no in between.

We are called to always be ready have an answer for our hope, our faith. (1 Peter 3:15)

Matthew 16 records a conversation between the LORD and His disciples. Matthew 16:15; ‘He saith unto them, ‘But whom say ye that I am?”

Oh believer, you did not think this merely for His disciples of yore to answer? Are ye also not His? What is it that ye say?

7. Garrison Hall says:

Happy Cursday, Treepers! The powerful love and loyalty that Pitbulls feel for humans is often abused by ignorant or cruel people. But, when they are with people who love them them the very qualities that make them vulnerable to abuse allows them to become wonderful companions.

8. Lucille says:

June 02, 2020| – JUDICIAL WATCH

Fraud is so rampant in the nation’s taxpayer-funded food stamp program that the government is spending more than $5 million to help curb it.

9. republicanvet91 says:

This take a knee crap is disgusting. Why would I take a knee for what happened? I was not there and had nothing to do with what happened? Should I take a knee because I have to atone for something? Do I take a knee because I am white and automatically am guilty of some racial animus?

In my opinion, taking a knee is the same as agreeing I am guilty of something the radicals are accusing me of. I will not do it and despise those who do simply to signal they will willingly appease the mob.

• czarowniczy says:

Show’s you’re the agitator’s bitch is what it does. I’m disgusted, but not surprised, at all of the chiefs-of-police who are taking a knee – they’re politicians more than they’re cops anyway, hence the disgust but not surprise.

• Classically Gail says:

Taking a knee is more of an affliction to society than any virus ever could be.I see anybody in my family doing that, it had better be because they’re praying.

• amwick says:

I saw this on the twitterverse…

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“In my opinion, taking a knee is the same as agreeing I am guilty of something the radicals are accusing me of.”

It also has a profound spiritual significance.

Do you bow the knee to the Lord God Almighty, or the image of a false god or one who follows or represents a false God?

1 Kings 19:18 KJV
      Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.

Matthew 27:29 KJV
      And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!

Romans 11:3-4 KJV
      Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. [4] But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.

• mandy says:

Been saying for a few days now….”taking the knee” = submission to and worship of.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

More bending the knee verses.

Isaiah 45:22-23 KJV
          Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. [23] I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

Romans 14:11 KJV
          For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Philippians 2:10-11 KJV
          That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; [11] And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

10. Sepp says:

. . . but deliver us from the Evil One.

11. Lucille says:

This Day In History….

Ten years ago today John Wooden died at age 99. “Coach” led the coaching staff for UCLA Basketball from 1948-1975.
    John Robert Wooden (b. October 14, 1911 d. June 4, 2010)

Walton and Wooden

If memory serves, UCLA Basketball games were taped and then televised later Saturday night on KCAL, Channel 9 in Los Angeles. I never watched a game unless I’d already listened to sports news and knew who won. LOL! Couldn’t stand the tension; so knowing who won made it possible to watch calmly. Hahahaha!

• rrick says:

Goodness gracious, sakes alive!

Lucille, there is a street near here named after the coach. We had just moved to CA from HI. I remember the coach was asked for his thoughts on the naming of the street. Couch Walton was a faithful believer in Christ Jesus and it was evident in his mentoring of them who played under him. But basketball was just a short time passing, it is not the end game.

12. citizen817 says:

13. Glad to add to the lighter entries here this week – We could definitely all use a laugh!

14. trapper says:

Something from another troubled time, although we tend to forget that it was and that many of our current woes began then. One could make a cautionary comment about not looking behind the curtain, horrible people making pretty music, and so on. But in the end, we are all flawed. Mankind is not perfectible. All we can do is do the best we can, knowing we will continue to fail, try to do better tomorrow, and listen to the pretty songs.

15. trapper says:

An interesting but short-lived tangent. No matter where you go, there you are.

16. Dora says:

17. Whistling_Past says:

18. Whistling_Past says:

On this day ~
    June 4, 1820
    ✝️ Sitting in the choir loft as the pastor preached, Elvina’s mind turned to our need for salvation and the price Jesus paid for it. Words began to form themselves. She had to get them down before she forgot them, but she had no paper! Scribbling on the flyleaf of her hymnbook, she wrote: “Jesus paid it all, All to Him I owe; Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.”
    After the service, she handed the words to her pastor. What his reaction was is not recorded. But we do know that an extraordinary “coincidence” took place that day at the Monument Street Methodist Church of Baltimore. The organist, John Grape, had recently written a new tune and also gave it to the pastor. The pastor saw that the tune and Elvina’s poem fit together extremely well. So he united them. In that way, “Jesus Paid It All,” one of the most beloved hymns of the church, came into being.
    Elvina Hall was 45 at that time. Born on this day, June 4, 1820, she went Home to be with her Savior in 1899.

19. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day for Thursday, June 4, 2020

“From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD’S name is to be praised.”
    Psalms 113:3 (KJV)

20. Dora says:

21. chuck lowe says:

We can all assume that most Americans think that defunding the police would be an invitation to chaos and a real time life sentence in a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

That’s fine, but think of how the national Overton Window has moved in the American zeitgeist in just the last decade. The prospect of this actually happening in “Sanctuary Cities” in Blue States is a very real probability in the not too distant future.

If you are a white conservative living in a blue-Sanctuary City you and you family will be living at the whim and caprice of a soup de jour interpretation of that “Living Document” we used to call the Constitution. The boxes that you check, will carry no weight, no gravitas and your complaints against the criminals/protesters/rioters/BLM/AntiFa brown shirts that are now the defacto Law Enforcement arm in your city, will leave you bloodied literally and metaphorically if not dead.

In these locations, remember, the new American hates you and they will be eager to prove it.

Sure, you can arm yourself and pretend that “Castle Doctrines”, or the now antiquated idea of “Self Defense” will save you when you are in the dock/Star Chamber, but the zealots prosecuting you will be in search of a conviction based on your 1) skin color – 2) gender -3)political affiliations and in no way, will be interested in the truth.

Hear the thunder?

NOW would be a good time to leave blue states and “Sanctuary Cities” in the same way that those prescient Jews deserted Germany in the 1930’s.

• mandy says:

If, one day, you wake up and realize that you are a stranger in the land of your birth…suddenly expatriation seems like no big deal.

• rrick says:

Though none may read this now I put here for posterity. Our posterity, for there are more than only myself. When speaking of the Castle Doctrine, you summon a defensive posture. Surely it was intended as thus. Yet I claim by my birth as an American to go hunting as it were. These times have decided it be thus. I aim to go onto the offensive, to right what is wrong. Not in mine own eyes but to those of all history. It is still being written and I aim to write if but a small part Yet in small parts are the whole made complete.

Said in simpler terms, I am not going quietly. While others may flee for the ‘free states’, I choose to stay behind the lines of the enemy. For here is the battle to be fought. I rise to the occasion. As did Christ enter into that den of vipers I shall also come unto the battle even though it be the ‘home ground’ of the enemy. Their ends will be turned against themselves. We shall slay the enemy by their own sword as did King David uplifted by God.

I’ve but one question to you, O pretender Cassius, after you have fled the field, whence forth your children, and their children? How shall they remember your fossil bones. God be with you.

22. just stevie says:

THE NEVER-FAILING GOD

“For He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” Heb. xii. 5

What line does my thought take? Does it turn to what God says or to what I fear? Am I learning to say not what God says, but to say something after I have heard what He says? “He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.”

“I will in no wise fail thee” – not for all my sin and selfishness and stubbornness and waywardness. Have I really let God say to me that He will never fail me? If I have listened to this say-so of God’s, then let me listen again.

“Neither will I in any wise forsake thee.” Sometimes it is not difficulty that makes me think God will forsake me, but drudgery. There is no Hill Difficulty to climb, no vision given, nothing wonderful or beautiful, just the commonplace day in and day out – can I hear God’s say-so in these things?

We have the idea that God is going to do some exceptional thing, that He is preparing and fitting us for some extraordinary thing by and bye, but as we go on in grace we find that God is glorifying Himself here and now, in the present minute. If we have God’s say-so behind us, the most amazing strength comes, and we learn to sing in the ordinary days and ways.

Oswald Chambers
    June 4th Devotional

23. cheryl says:

Alta: a truly remarkable video of a quick clay landslide in Norway
    One of the top ten landslide videos of all time was captured yesterday at Kråknes in Alta, in the north of Norway. This video shows what is almost certain to be a quick clay landslide. It occurred in the morning of Wednesday 3 June 2020; the video has been posted to Youtube

• mandy says:

Wow. Amazing footage.

• rrick says:

Slickenside seems to be a partial answer. Past glaciation has smoothed – ‘polished’ – the bedrock. While excessive flows of groundwater is culpable, liquefaction is not precise in describing the mechanism in which the slide develops. The loss of the cation (+charged ion) from the underlying clay is the answer.

These type of slides are common in Norway. This is typical in a marine environment. The underlying chemistry is also why one would observe spalling of a concrete buttress (pier, breakwater, et) when exposed to sea water.

24. czarowniczy says:

And after explaining yesterday why he personally wouldn’t take a knee because of his respect for the flag and those who’ve serves in the miitary, the Saints Drew Brees suddenly and unexplkainedly apologized for his ‘insensitive’ remarks this morning.

25. Sepp says:

“Black Power and the 1619 Project”

Alexander Riley has a very readable and historically informative article on the Chronicles Magazine website. It complements Sundance’s posts.

26. Henry says:

Please send the President a note of encouragement today.

27. RC says:

Three years ago Sundance made the prescient comments that the flag protests were the beginning of the end of the NFL brand.
    Fast forward three years to the present.
    We have an NFL that intends on starting the season with no actual fan attendance .
    Fox Sports says that will be replaced on broadcasts with digital fans and artificial crowd noise. That in and of itself is a reason to ignore the product.
    Now just recently the NFL again showed it has become a front for social justice warrior woke culture as NFL icon Drew Brees was cowtowed into a retraction of his statements in defense of the American flag.
    I just don’t think I can support the product any longer .

28. Dora says:

29. Dora says:

30. TreeperInTraining says:

Sweet Lord. The Lancet just retracted their study on hydrochloride.

I suppose they permitted publication to make Trump look bad. Who knew that The Lancet was weaponized? I did. And so did Dr. Wakefield.

• TreeperInTraining says:

Sorry. Hydroxychloroquine.

My phone’s spell checker is more intelligent than I….or so it thinks.

31. czarowniczy says:

GENERAL (ret) MATTIS DENOUNCES TRUMP ASS A THREAT TO THE CONSTITUTION!

See what I mean when I say that Generals are, generally, first and foremost politicians. Wonder if he’ll show upon Biden’s doorstep peddling his services?

32. John Denney says:

But, hey, it’s “just things”, right?

33. P says:

Regarding President Trump holding up his bible. Here is a picture of Bill Clinton holding his bible up in a very similar manner.

I hope this posts ok (if not, cut and paste into a new window).

34. dogsmaw says:

• rrick says:

Bull shit! Apparently Jon thinks Americans are like Jew under Roman occupation. The fact is, those black bloc soy boys would be crying for their mothers. Keep poking the bear, you’ll find out.

35. Sepp says:

To Ponder

Let me ponder on the grace of God the Holy Spirit in the Mystery of Baptism:

1. How that grace cleanses a man from original sin.
    2. How it brings him to participation in the freedom of Christ.

From “The Prologue from Ohrid” by Saint Nikolai (Serbian-born Bishop who reposed in the USA and was a former prisoner at Dachau).

Today is May 22nd on the traditional Calendar of the Orthodox Christian Church and June 4th on the civil or commercial calendar.

36. Headline from the Gateway Pundit: “Los Angeles Mayor Garcetti Will Cut $150 Million From LAPD Budget, Reinvest Money in Black Communities.”

I guess reparations have already started………………..

37. andeclain says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

38. andeclain says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Col. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

39. Sepp says:

A Moment of Silence

In honor of the Americans who have died alone during the Corona Chaos and whose families could not hold a proper funeral and burial.

40. rebel53blog says:

Today in History
    Battle of Midway – Turning Point of the War in the Pacific
    The Battle of Midway was a decisive naval battle in the Pacific Theater of World War II that took place on 4–7 June 1942, six months after Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor.

41. dogsmaw says:

42. rrick says:

After being held in Iraq for 683 days, Navy veteran Michael White is on his way home to the U.S.

For comparison, the prisoners in Iran were released after 444 days (Nov. 4, 1979 – Jan. 20, 1981). Remember, January 20 is the inauguration of the president. In that year it was Ronald Reagan. Because even Iran knows you don’t mess with a No Bull Shit president.

God bless America.

Dear reader, what have YOU done today to make America great?