Friday January 17th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

105 Responses to Friday January 17th – Open Thread

1. DanDeplorable says:

2. citizen817 says:

3. citizen817 says:

4. Deplorable_Infidel says:

The Significance Of The Resurrection

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

In his great Epistle to the Romans, St. Paul introduces himself immediately as “a bondslave of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle,” to proclaim God’s good news about Christ.

Paul’s “gospel of the grace of God” was essentially about the Lord Jesus Christ. He was always talking about Christ. His epistles are filled with Christ. Christ, in his message, was everything. This is in striking contrast to much of our modern preaching and evangelism, which is not Christ-centered, but man-centered.

The gospel Paul proclaimed was God’s good news about Christ and His power and glory in defeating Satan, overcoming death, paying for sin and nailing the Law to His cross.

This is why the Apostle calls his message “the good news of the glory of Christ” (II Cor. 4:4). To enter experientially into the truth of this good news is the greatest blessing one can possibly experience.

In Verse 4 of his introduction to the Roman Epistle, the Apostle declares that Christ was powerfully declared to be the Son of God “by the resurrection from the dead.”

The resurrection of Christ had been both prophesied and proclaimed as a historical fact before Paul, but to Paul was committed a special message of good news concerning the resurrection. In his God-given message, Christ was raised from the dead to demonstrate that as God the Son He had paid the full penalty for sins that would have sunk a world to hell. Thus the Apostle writes to Timothy, his son in the faith:

“Consider what I say, and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

“Remember that Jesus Christ, of the seed of David [this is how Christ had formerly been known] was raised from the dead according to my gospel, wherein I suffer trouble as an evildoer, even unto bonds” (II Tim. 2:7-9).

Read the Epistles of Paul and see how salvation by grace through faith always hinges upon the finished work of Christ for our redemption. “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.”

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Romans 1:4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.
    8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:
    9 Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.

Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
    31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

5. Garrison Hall says:

“Music Til’ Dawn” sponsored by American Airlines was broadcast on several American radio stations. As a teenager, I listened to it late into the night and early morning while everyone else was sleeping. I was captivated by the program’s urbane sophistication and, of course, it’s choice of music like this. My late night listening to KRLD (50,000 wats in Dallas) showed me a world, different from my own, that I decided I would visit as soon as I could.

• georgehumphries9802 says:

Sherry and I took a fall trip to Vermont to see the color change. All because of listening to this song, sung by the Chairman of the Board. Wonderful song, wonderful trip.

• GB Bari says:

While we are decidedly well past the fall colors, Jo’s luscious rendition of that melody provides us a temporary warm respite from the bleak cold of both winter and DC politics.

Excellent choice as usual, Garrison.

6. citizen817 says:

7. Garrison Hall says:

• GB Bari says:

Nice.
      Some of us can remember hearing the Chordettes’ original performance of that song…
      ….the year when they recorded it! 😉

8. Lucille says:

THE LETHAL COMBO – B2 SPIRIT STEALTH BOMBER & MOP
    DEFENSE UPDATES – Published on Jan 16, 2020

“In this video Defense Updates analyzes why B2 Spirit armed with GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator is a non-nuclear option that Iran has no answer to.”

9. Magabear says:

So this is a sad story to tell. As many here may know, the drummer and lyricist for the band Rush, Neil Peart, passed away last week due to brain cancer. I happened to be listening to the Deep Tracks channel on SiriusXM while driving and they had an interview with him from 2015 that they were replaying. He seemed to be a smart and engaging person for the most part, but then for some reason the host brought religion into the conversation, and it went into a disappointing direction from there.

Peart and the host ridiculed southern church signs and the passage in the Bible that says “lean not on your own understanding” and mocked that as basically meaning Christians were unthinking, brainwashed people. Any Christian knows that passage is referring to our inability to understand the things of God with our own worldly hearts and minds, not that we should become mind numbed robots. It’s sad that an intelligent person like Peart would reject something so confidently like he did in that interview when he was so obviously ignorant of biblical context.

I liked Rush to a point but always felt there was a certain coldness to alot of their music. Maybe there was a reason for that. Sad that someone as influential as Peart who had a platform to speak to alot of people would be so foolish in the area of faith. But as the Bible says, the wisdom of man is foolishness to God. Sadly, Peart proved that to be so true.

• Rudy says:

It’s not foolishness, just a different slant on things. With all due respect, in spite of the advantage of faith, it’s not a thing all of us can swallow.
      The expression of disbelief of your Bible is also one of the key differences between Christianity and islam. Of a free people and a despotic theocracy.
      Just sayin’.

• Pale rider says:

Everyone has faith in something it’s where you put that faith. Dig deeper and you can see why that faith is misplaced to a fallen world. Love, is the ‘flashing light’ that directs your life. Either lack of it or search for it. If an individual who experiences Gods love will seek it for all eternity and it is freely given by request.
        I would imagine that a man who has been worshipped by so many as a drummer would have a difficult time seeing clearly.

• Garrison Hall says:

Well, when you get right down to it, finding and then knowing God is a personal decision. You either believe or you don’t. It makes me sad that the profound meaning of that belief is lost of so many people. But, then, it is what it is. People who don’t—or won’t—-believe are lost and I can’t help them.

• Rudy says:

I have a much different take on things, obviously. But lost? LOL
          You don’t have the knowledge to make that sort of assumption, so some good advice to you, DON’T.

• Magabear says:

I can’t convey clearly enough in words the tone of the conversation between Peart and the host, it was the dismissive aspect of it that you would have to hear on your own that was disappointing to hear from an otherwise intelligent person. To critique something that one clearly has little understanding of is never a good thing.

I’ve always distinguished between agnostics and atheists. Agnostics are honest enough to say that they just don’t know, and I respect that. But dismissing something as imaginary without even knowing what the theology of it is, a smart person should do better than that.

• Rudy says:

As an agnostic, actually an agnostic deist (a rare animal) I would tend to agree with this observation. The universe is vast and everything and anything possible.
          I’m just a tiny entity, after all.

• Pale rider says:

I do like conversations like these for many reasons but I believe mostly because I see the God of all creation ‘God’. I like to share him as much as allowed, and I learn from others positions and understanding.
          When you take a breath or see a flower or my most favorite a young child without apprehension it makes me wonder what nonbelievers are seeing. Are these miracles dismissed? I assume without his spirit there is no sight beyond the physical comprehension?
          Faith is how you see God. I call it faith glasses, and it’s not a leap of faith it’s just a willingness, as all God offers is. It’s ‘love’ at its highest and free to the takers. No harder Than accepting a type of music or a dialect. And it’s benefits are endless and all encompassing. God is the great I AM.
          We use the phrase ‘to a hammer everything is a nail’ to a Christian everything in creation is God. Intellect is dismissed “as a child” to come to him. But, it becomes complete when in his presence. Hmmm? As if he is all things. Even our Will is given to us to choose.

• Rudy says:

Like I said, it’s a vast universe. There are many ways to ‘see’, and a lot of what I believe parallels Christianity.
            I suppose I could go to the trouble of describing what I have discovered, what I believe, what I KNOW. However, I have learned long since not to open up to most people, especially to Christians looking to ‘witness’ or for the most part even to discuss it. That door is closed.
            That’s the way it is. My original post above just says there are different ways of looking at things, and that is as far as I am willing to go with this.
            No need to say things like someone is ‘foolish in faith’. It isn’t necessarily true.
            The truth is, I should have just stayed silent like I do most of the time.
            And that’s all I have to say about it.

10. Lucille says:

If you can, play this full screen…

The magnificent landscape of Iceland, a cinematic footage in 4K by drone

Enjoy the ultimate scenic beauty of Iceland! – Published on Dec 22, 2017
    Main locations in the video: Mývatn (0:13,1:00,1:14), Askja (0:26), Seljalandsfoss (0:47) Vik, Fjaðrárgljúfur (1:21,1:49), Vatnajökull (1:30,1:48), Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach (1:34), Hraunfossar(2:06), Fjallsárlón Glacial Lagoon (2:26), Goðafoss (2:43), Rauðisandur Beach (2:53,3:57), Hvitserkur‏‏ (3:06), Strokkur Geysir (3:23).

Music: “Destiny” by Months

11. MNBV says:

How long before the fabian left impose this on the US?
    And if you don’t like it: you’re a racist, boy.
    I actually blame the lower socio-ec values background of UK police recruits.
    If it’s part of your life….we all should enjoy….eh boy?

• The attitude of authorites in that case mirrors that of contempoary UK authorities who JAILED Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka “Tommy Robinson”) for daring to speak out publicly against the muslim grooming gangs.

America’s “Hate Speech” societal ttitudes and corporate policies ALREADY grant muslims a shroud of “Protected Class” status. ie: “If you SEE something, don’t say a DAYUM THING,” or the “Cancel Culture” will label you an islamophobe and racist, and seek to end your career and brand you for life.

The 1A must be upheld.

12. Dora says:

Guy Rose – Sunset Glow (aka Sunset in the High Sierras), 1892

13. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
    John 14:6 (KJV)

14. Dora says:

A blessing only used by the Pope. This should add to the mystery.

=====

Benedict XVI Keeps Imparting “Apostolic Blessing”

15. Dora says:

16. just stevie says:

THE VOCATION OF THE NATURAL LIFE

“But when it pleased God…to reveal His Son in me…” Gal. i. 15-16

The call of God is not a call to any particular service; my interpretation of it may be because contact with the nature of God has made me realize what I would like to do for Him. The call of God is essentially expressive of His nature; service is the outcome of what is fitted to my nature. The vocation of the natural life is stated by the apostle Paul – “When it pleased God to reveal His Son in me that I might PREACH Him” (i.e., SACRAMENTALLY EXPRESS) “among the Gentiles.”

Service is the overflow of super abounding devotion; but, profoundly speaking, there is no CALL to that, it is my own little actual bit and is the echo of my identification with the nature of God. Service is the natural part of my life. God gets me into a relationship with Himself whereby I understand His call, then I do things out of sheer love for Him on my own account. To serve God is the deliberate love-gift of a nature that has heard the call of God. Service is expressive of that which is fitted to my nature: God’s call is expressive of His nature; consequently when I receive His nature and hear His call, the voice of the Divine nature sounds in both and the two work together. The Son of God reveals Himself in me, and I serve Him in the ordinary ways of life out of devotion to Him.

Oswald Chambers
    January 17th Devotional

17. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

18. Sepp says:

. . . but deliver us from the Evil One.

19. Marcia says:

I am a 72 year old woman who is very concerned about what is going on in this country right now; especially the impeachment of the best president in my lifetime.

However, I think about my parents, both deceased, who went through the Great Depression and World War II and all the anxiety that those two events caused, but they made it through.

I then think about the 50’s when I participated in atom bomb drills in school; everyone hid underneath the desk. Of course we later learned that we would all have been vaporized anyway. What nightmares that caused! Survived all the turmoil of the 60’s and 70’s, became a police officer, fraud investigator, went to night undergraduate school, then night law school, became an attorney and finally a Magistrate and now retired.

During the last 30 years had some serious health problems, which I continue to have, but have made it this far. So, what is my point. My point is that I have learned to enjoy the day that I have. I keep myself informed, inform others and live my life. Enjoy Christian fellowship and attempt to lead others to Christ. Sometimes we get so involved with the details of the day that we forget to savor the blessings that we have: living in this great country, freedom to worship as we please,loved ones, a roof over our head, food to eat and all the others blessings that this great country has.

So, keep yourself informed, do what you can to keep this country great and enjoy the blessings that you have.

20. Dora says:

What a mess!

• Pale rider says:

“Don’t spank” your kids! Same mindset.
      You get a rolling trash bin and load up, dump them in a van and take them to a fenced area with a tent and ‘port a potty’. Thing is government has no concern for anyone

• Jorizabeth says:

Which is one reason, as a Trump supporter, I changed my voter registration to Dem. for the March primary in CA. I intend to research the front runners and vote against them, tell Harris and Feinstein that I told others to do it. After, I will change back.

21. Boots says:

Isaiah 2:7-11

(7) Their land is also full of silver and gold,
    And there is no end to their treasures;
    Their land is also full of horses,
    And there is no end to their chariots.

(8) Their land is also full of idols;
    They worship the work of their own hands,
    That which their own fingers have made.

(9) People bow down,
    And each man humbles himself;
    Therefore do not forgive them.

(10) Enter into the rock, and hide in the dust,
    From the terror of the LORD
    And the glory of His majesty.

(11) The lofty looks of man shall be humbled,
    The haughtiness of men shall be bowed down,
    And the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.

Everywhere, the Bible shows the same principle: Pride has its roots in a feeling of wealth or accomplishment, which is then used to compare. We can tie this to Satan and what is written about him in Ezekiel 28, how pride arose within him because of his beauty. He had something to brag about that made him feel good. But his vanity, developing into outright pride, began to get to him. He began to feel better than the other angels, and eventually, in his own eyes, he equated himself with God. In time, he thought of himself as greater than God—a very perverted comparison.

In the New Testament, the Greek is huperephania, which means “to show oneself above.” It does not imply one who others look up to, but one who stands on his own self-created pedestal.

— John W. Ritenbaugh

22. Moe Grimm says:

I thought the upcoming 2A event in Richmond, VA. would be better covered and maybe will be but for these marxist pseudo events provide endlless distractions. This too must cease. But from some 1100 mi. away I’ll be praying for these brothers and sisters. The serpent Northam and his empty soulless vessels have again set the frame. That frame is a template they hope to export to other states such as Colorado and more. Look for FALSE FLAGS the first of which may (may) have already been raised as Just-Us armed jackboot proxy fbi have arrested three men they claim are “neo-nazis” and of course as mandatory “white supremacists™”. Though they may be, look for Nothham’s tools to seed the crowds with his fellow snakes seeking to instigate violence. Phil Van Cleave and his people know this and have in advance prepared for it as best they can seeking only a peaceful rally. Remember too that just months ago one David W. Archey who via the Cadaver laid path for the also spineless cuck Wray to validate Archey as head of the Richmond fbi office. We are ALL Virginians now. Developments will be posted here: https://www.vcdl.org/.

23. Sepp says:

The Synaxis of the Holy Seventy Apostles is commemorated today on the traditional Calendar of the Orthodox Christian Church, January 4th.

Each of these men is honored on other days by the Church, but today all of them are.

The link below is to the account of their Lives with a paragraph or a few sentences for each as translated into English from the work of Saint Dimitri of Rostov.

24. Akindole says:

If you’re going to Richmond Monday, you should probably listen to Rex.
    If you know anyone going to Richmond, you should probably share Rex.
    VA Antifa has already announced they plan to “mix” with 2A people.

This will be a false flag extravaganza.

• mandy says:

Posted late yesterday evening (so, it’s at the end of yesterday’s “open” thread) – there has been an ad for crisis actors for some area in VA, so yes, expect a massive false flag.

25. getfitnow says:

Good luck to Dalia

FTA – A Muslim Iraqi refugee who previously worked as a war journalist announced she is running for Congress in Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District, meaning she will try to unseat Democrat Rep. Ilhan Omar. In her campaign announcement video, Dalia al-Aqidi said she was fortunate to be able to come to the United States as a little girl with her mother to escape Saddam Hussein, who she described as a “brutal dictator.” Seeing how terror had affected her family, al-Aqidi says in the video she was happy President Trump ordered the death of Iranian general and terrorist Qasem Soleimani.

26. David says:

American friends, I posted here a translated Israeli program which is by far the best and most accurate about the war against the Iranian nuclear program. The majority of the people who were interviewed are ex very senior Mossad division heads and there are two ex-Israeli Prime Ministers and there is also the Obama advisor for the matter of Iran (Trump has better advisors). This program is nit short but gives you a real understanding of what is going on there for real.

27. mandy says:

This is TOO WEIRD! It’s a cafe…and I don’t know how or why but it looks like you’re inside a cartoon or something….kinda creepy.

If you aren’t interested in the other scenes of St. Petersburg, go to about 2:48 in the video and watch from there.

28. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

29. Sepp says:

To Ponder

Let me ponder on the richness of God’s power, wisdom,and love:

1. The richness of that power, wisdom and love as shown forth in natural creation.
    2. The richness of that power, wisdom and love revealed to the world through our Lord Jesus Christ.

From “The Prologue from Ohrid” by Saint Nikolai (Serbian-born Bishop who reposed in the USA and was a former prisoner at Dachau) for today – January 4th – on the traditional Calendar of the Orthodox Christian Church.

30. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Gen. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

31. NoTwoSystemsOnlyOneChiCom says:

Londonistan rising. Hezbollah an official terrorist organization.

32. bessie2003 says:

I don’t understand why people in Virginia think by getting down to the antifa/anarchist/occupy level of marching and protesting is going to gain them anything when it comes to defending their 2nd Amendment rights.

The anarchists/antifa/occupy people have these type of protests down to a science. Why would anyone think copying their method is going to be successful? Those punks have been practicing for these type of confrontations from day one. Portland, Charlottesville were just practice runs for what they hope to accomplish in a set up like Virginia where they can use people defending their gun rights to be portrayed as the aggressors. As a young teen remember how the race riots in Richmond got out of control very quickly and destructively, learned that well intended actions quickly turn into emotional fury at the drop of a hat. There must be another way to accomplish the goal than using the anarchist methods.

Stay safe dear Virginia. Take the laws to court, help to re-establish the rule of law, not join the mob rule mentality.

Will be praying that Patience, Peace, and a Higher Inspiration to step out on a truly constructive approach prevails.